Facts about Navroz

Discussion on R&R from all regions
kmaherali

Re: Facts about Navroz

Post by kmaherali »

Nowruz is banned in Afghanistan, but families continue to celebrate

Shararah's 2021 Nowruz feast isn't possible this year because of a ban on the holiday by the Afghan government.

The Taliban may have banned the Nowruz holiday, but it cannot erase the Persian new year from people's minds.

"When I think of Nowruz, I can only think of the food," Shararah (a pseudonym to protect her identity) says with a broad smile.

The 23-year-old teacher is Zooming in from a modest apartment in Kabul, Afghanistan, reflecting on the holiday that marks the start of spring. Despite the late hour, Shararah is animated, her face growing increasingly brighter as she describes the once-bustling streets of Mandawi market in Kabul's old district, colorful stalls that she and her sister would navigate one by one. A place, she says, where "you could find everything from a needle to a cow."

But in early March, the Taliban's Ministry of Vice and Virtue confirmed that there will be no official Nowruz celebration this year. This came about less than seven months after the Taliban reclaimed the government as the U.S. military withdrew.

The holiday — dating back 3,500 years and celebrated by more than 300 million people across the Middle East, Central Asia and the Caucasus — has been designated as "magus," or pagan, and abolished, exactly as it was in 1996, when the Taliban last ruled Afghanistan.

"The whole point," Shararah says, "is to abolish anything that doesn't have a significance in Islam, even if something is related to your own culture."

The ban comes at a time when this food-centered holiday is harder to celebrate; rates of food insecurity and malnutrition have reached proportions described by the World Food Programme as "hell on Earth." This is largely because of sanctions and the freezing of Afghan assets that have resulted in the collapse of the economy.

Despite the obstacles, Shararah and her family — along with families throughout Kabul and the rest of Afghanistan — will quietly gather behind closed doors to give thanks for what they still have.

In years past, the preparations for Nowruz would have already begun. "We would clean the house, buy new clothes, and, of course, get the food," Shararah says.

The time in the markets wasn't simply about commerce. Even before the Taliban, Kabul did not have a nightlife and most shops closed by early evening — except on the night before Nowruz.

"All the people would be going around, enjoying the decorations and lightings, having an ice cream, just being together," she says. "Kabul — Afghanistan — has never been a safe place for women. If I was out at night without a man, say my brother, I would feel a little on edge. But with the festival, there was such different energy that we didn't worry."

On Nowruz, families would traditionally rise early, don new clothes and start the day with prayer. After offering gratitude for the new year, the day would become more celebratory, turning toward family — and feasting. "It would be me, my cousins, my aunts and uncles, and our grandmother, sitting on cushions and having this huge sofra, the cloth that you put down with the foods on top."

'No one is going to stop this celebration'

The food.

Shararah's words tumble over each other as she describes dish after mouthwatering dish.

"Afghans are obsessed with meat, you know? When the meal is at our house, my sister makes qabuli, rice with mutton that is covered with carrots and raisins that are caramelized. She makes a plain rice but makes it colorful with sprinkles of saffron and sugar. I love the sprinkles."

The sofra would also include sabzi, sauteed mixed greens — "like the green of spring;" gulpea, deep fried cauliflower layered with tomatoes; and gosh-e fil, Afghani elephant ears sprinkled with powdered sugar.

But the real star of the Nowruz table would be haft mewa — a sweet and savory compote. "Me and all the other kids would take our bowls and count all the pieces, one saying like, 'I think I got a pistachio,' and another like, 'Wow, why don't I have one in my bowl!?' It would be so fun to just count the fruit and try to get each other jealous that I got more fruits than you."

Prepared a day or two before Nowruz, haft mewa ("seven fruits" in Persian) is a combination of seven dried fruits and nuts. The ingredients are not set but typically include a combination of pistachios, almonds, walnuts, cashews, cherries, raisins, currants, apricots, apples or senjed (a small sweet and tangy berry shaped like an olive). They are washed, peeled, mixed together and soaked in water, which some scent with rose or cardamom. The result, a light, deeply satisfying mélange of fruits and nuts, serves as a reminder of the abundance the land brings forth.

"This is the one dish we do not shop for," Shararah explains. "It's almost like an unwritten rule that relatives in the village will automatically send dried fruits and nuts to families in the city. Every household would have dried foods in their cupboards at all times."

Until this year. Even though she's a member of what she describes as "the privileged population," Shararah and her family have been affected by food insecurity. "We have depleted our savings and reached a point where we try to cook things that need the least amount of groceries and will turn out bigger in amount. Like many people, we avoid eating meat and eat mostly things with rice or plain bread."

The cupboards, once chock-full of nuts and dried fruit, are now meager, she says. "Right now, we only have small amounts of almonds and walnuts, and I don't think we can make haft mewa with two things." But, she insists, "It's OK."

"Our Nowruz table this year will maybe look like dinner from last night, but I know my sister will still make an effort to make it special," Shararah says. "Even if we don't have an extravagant sofra, we will still visit my uncle and have some home-baked bread together. It's going to be simple; it's going to be small; but it's going to be something. No one is going to stop this celebration."

Nowruz is a day of new beginnings, but now it is also a time of resilience. "A year ago, I could not have imagined that I would live in a country that would be under the rule of people like the Taliban. It seems surreal, crazy. But here I am. Afghans always find a way to enjoy whatever they have. It seems absurd at this moment, but I want to believe this new year will bring new opportunities, despite everything."

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/21/10872965 ... -celebrate
mahebubchatur

Navroz 2022 Blessings Rozi Farman from Imam

Post by mahebubchatur »

NAVROZ MARCH 2022

BLESSINGS ROZI & FARMAN-TALIKA FROM IMAM E ZAMAN

MY DEAR PRESIDENT AND MEMBERS,

ON THE OCCASION OF NAVROZ, THE 21 ST OF MARCH 2022, I SEND MY WARMEST AND MOST AFFECTIONATE PATERNAL MATERNAL LOVING BLESSINGS TO ALL MY BELOVED SPIRITUAL CHILDREN OF MY CANADA JAMAT.

MY FAMILY JOINS ME IN WISHING YOU ALL NAVROZ MUBARAK.

I GIVE MY BEST LOVING BLESSINGS FOR THE SOULS OF MY RUHANI SPIRITUAL CHILDREN, AND I PRAY THAT THEIR SOULS MAY REST IN ETERNAL PEACE.

IT IS MOST ENCOURAGING THAT, WITH THE COMBINATION OF THE VACCINE ROLL-OUT AND ADHERENCE TO SOCIAL PROTOCOLS, THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC IS NOW RECEDING, THUS ALLOWING SOCIETIES TO COMMENCE A RETURN TO NORMALITY.

IT IS A MATTER OF SATISFACTION THAT MY JAMAT HAS FACED
THIS CRISIS WITH COURAGE AND RESOLVE, BUT YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO EXERCISE VIGILANCE AND CAUTION IN REGARD TO COVID-19, GIVEN ITS UNPREDICTABILITY.

IN VIEW OF THE IMPROVING CONDITIONS, I HAVE ASKED THE CONCERNED JAMATI INSTITUTIONS TO PROCEED WITH A PHASED APPROACH TO RESTORE THE NORMAL DAY-TO-DAY FUNCTIONING OF OUR JAMATKHANAS, WITHIN
THE AMBIT OF THEIR RESPECTIVE GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES AND PROTOCOLS.

I HAVE ALSO DECIDED THAT SEVERAL OF THE JAMATKHANA-SPECIFIC OBSERVANCES AND CEREMONIES THAT HAD BEEN ALTERED TO COMPLY
WITH PANDEMIC-IMPOSED HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS SHOULD BE REINSTATED GRADUALLY. IN THE EVENT OF ANY UNFORTUNATE RESURGENCE OF THE PANDEMIC,

I WILL GIVE FURTHER DIRECTION AS MAY BE REQUIRED TO ENSURE MY JAMAT'S SAFETY.

IT IS MY DESIRE THAT MY MURIDS SHOULD UNDERTAKE TARIQAH PRACTICES IN JAMATKHANA GATHERINGS IN PEACE AND COMFORT, AND WITH A RENEWED SENSE OF COMMUNITY AND UNITY. AS IMAM-OF-THE-TIME, I WILL CONTINUE TO GIVE GUIDANCE ON ALL THE OBSERVANCES AND PRACTICES OF OUR TARIQAH.

I WISH TO ALSO INFORM MY JAMAT THAT, IN LIGHT OF THE DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES OF RECENT MONTHS DUE TO COVID, I HAVE DECIDED TO EXTEND THE TERM OF OFFICE OF ALL MY JAMATI INSTITUTIONAL MEMBERSHIP AS WELL AS THE MUKHIS, KAMADIAS, MUKHIANIS AND
KAMADIANIS FOR A 12-MONTH PERIOD.

THE ESCALATION OF EVENTS CAUSING INSTABILITY IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD IS A MATTER OF CONCERN, AND IT IS MY PRAYER THAT WISE COUNSEL WILL PREYAIL IN RESTORING PEACE AND STABILITY IN THE NEAR FUTURE. TO MY JAMAT IN THE IMPACTED AREAS, I SEND MY BEST BLESSINGS FOR SAFETY AND MUSHKIL-ASAN.

TO ALL THE SPIRITUAL CHILDREN WHO HAVE SUBMITTED SERVICES AND SENT MESSAGES OF CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD WISHES ON THE OCCASION OF NAVROZ, I SEND MY BEST LOVING BLESSINGS..

I SEND MY MOST AFFECTIONATE LOVING BLESSINGS FOR MUSHKIL-ASAN, AND FOR MY JAMAT'S WELLBEING, GOOD HEALTH, SAFETY AND SECURITY.

I ALSO GIVE MY BEST LOVING BLESSINGS FOR BARAKAH IN YOUR SPIRITUAL AND MATERIAL LIVES, AND FOR THE FULFILMENT OF ALL YOUR WISHES.

I HAVE SENT ROZI FOR MY JAMAT ON THIS OCCASION.
YOU ARE ALL PARTICULARLY IN MY HEART, IN MY THOUGHTS, AND IN MY
PRAYERS AT THIS TIME.

YOURS AFFECTIONATELY,

AGAKHAN
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Europe Navroz Celebration

On Sat 19 and 26 Mar, Jamats from Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Denmark were able to come together once again to celebrate Navroz after two years of what was, for many, a period of social isolation, due to the pandemic.

Jamats in the four countries each had the chance to celebrate the new year together.

Dutch festivities were celebrated at a venue in Utrecht, decorated in the style of Navroz with balloons, symbolic painted eggs and a Haft Seen table. Celebrations were enjoyed by around 330 Jamati members of all ages and backgrounds. In Germany, Navroz celebrations were held in many different cities: Berlin, Frankfurt, Essen, Hamburg, Wuppertal and Munich. Austrian festivities were celebrated in both Vienna and Graz. Festivities across Germany and Austria hosted around 1,600 Jamati members. In Copenhagen, Navroz celebrations were held in the gym of a local school next to the Jamatkhana, attended by around 85 Jamati members. The events presented the ideal opportunity for many newly arrived members of the Jamat to meet settled members of the local Jamats. This allowed for the convergence of the Jamat from various countries, including, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Syria, Iran, Tajikistan and many more.

It was also the first time since the start of the pandemic that the Jamat could once again enjoy dancing to music of different cultures, listening to live music, and feasting together with dinner and cake. The event was made even more special by performances from young BAI students of different backgrounds showcasing their own culture specific Navroz traditions.

After two long years, we all came together again as One Jamat to celebrate such a special event. It truly was a Navroz to remember.

https://the.ismaili/uk/community/europe ... elebration

UK Navroz Celebration

On Sat 26 Mar, AKYSB held their long anticipated Navroz event for 18-45 year olds to celebrate Navroz and bring people together.

A delicious three course meal was served and guests turned up in droves wearing traditional dress from various traditions. After dinner, the event continued with music from Zamana, a traditional raas garba band, an Afghani band called Srood and Pamiri music. A highlight from the event was the inclusivity and social cohesion between established and newer members of the Jamat in the UK.

https://the.ismaili/uk/uk-aga-khan-yout ... elebration
kmaherali

Navroz Inspires Ismaili Artists to Showcase Creativity

Post by kmaherali »

Navroz Inspires Ismaili Artists to Showcase Creativity

Navroz art exhibition poster

The occasion of Navroz rejuvenates the spirit and stirs the emotions of all Muslims around the world. This was especially true for participants and attendees of the Navroz Virtual Art Exhibition, a groundbreaking virtual art exhibition that explored the creative work of artists of the Ismaili community of the Western United States. This event was held year.

More than 40 artists contributed their art and musical creations to the milestone event, including Nizar Tryewalla of Seattle. “The last couple of years have been difficult. I wanted to showcase a path towards a new beginning,” explained Nizar of his artwork. “That’s how I formulated my painting… no matter what happens, you should live in the moment.” Zaiden Tryewalla, Nizar’s six-year-old son, also contributed to the art exhibition. “We were able to connect with each other through this exhibition.”

Mawlana Hazar Imam has said, “The arts, particularly when they are spiritually inspired, can become a medium of discourse that transcends the barriers of our day-to-day experiences and preoccupations."

Young artists such as Aliza Makhani of Milpitas, California, expressed hope and gratitude in their artwork. She chose to paint dandelions, explaining they signify hope when one makes a wish by blowing its seed into the air.

An exhibit entitled, Naqsh, by Jalal Gilani of Seattle presents intricate geometrical patterns ubiquitous in Islamic art and architecture. Naqsh’s continuous repetition of design symbolizes the Islamic concept of remembrance of the infinite nature of Allah.

The art exhibition allowed the audience to understand how the artists found their inspiration and how they chose to represent their ideas. The virtual exhibit elegantly mimicked important attributes of the gallery experience where viewers felt as if they were physically at the gallery, being able to explore exhibitions and compare artworks at their actual size, from any distance or angle.

Gallery at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/navroz-inspires ... creativity
mahebubchatur

Blessings & Rozi from Imam 17 March 2023

Post by mahebubchatur »

17TH MARCH 2023

TRANSMITTED BY E-MAIL.
THE PRESIDENT AND MEMBERS
HIS HIGHNESS PRINCE AGA KHAN SHIA IMAMI ISMAILI COUNCIL FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM
LONDON

MY DEAR PRESIDENT AND MEMBERS,

ON THE OCCASION OF NAVROZ, THE 21ST OF MARCH 2023, I SEND MY MOST AFFECTIONATE PATERNAL MATERNAL LOVING BLESSINGS TO ALL THE BELOVED SPIRITUAL. CHILDREN OF MY UNITED KINGDOM, AUSTRIA, DENMARK, GERMANY, ITALY, THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, IRELAND AND SWEDEN JAMAT.
MY FAMILY JOINS ME IN WISHING YOU NAVROZ MUBARAK.
1 GIVE MY BEST LOVING BLESSINGS FOR THE SOULS OF MY RUHANI SPIRITUAL CHILDREN, AND I PRAY FOR THE ETERNAL PEACE AND REST OF THEIR SOULS.

TO ALL THE SPIRITUAL CHILDREN WHO HAVE SUBMITTED SERVICES AND SENT MESSAGES OF CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD WISHES ON THIS HAPPY OCCASION, I SEND MY BEST LOVING BLESSINGS.

I HAVE SENT ROZI FOR ALL MY JAMAT.

I SEND MY MOST AFFECTIONATE LOVING BLESSINGS FOR MY JAMAT'S GOOD HEALTH, HAPPINESS, SAFETY AND SECURITY, WITH BEST LOVING BLESSINGS FOR BARAKAH IN YOUR SPIRITUAL AND MATERIAL LIVES AND FOR MUSHKIL-ASAN.
YOU ARE ALL PARTICULARLY IN MY HEART, IN MY THOUGHTS, AND IN MY PRAYERS AT THIS TIME.
YOURS AFFECTIONATELY,

AGA KHAN

SIGNIFICANCE OF ROZI

BLESSINGS FROM FROM IMAM

CONTENTS OF ROZI

WHEAT: Strength and Abundance of food
SWEET: Happiness, Love and Affection
DRY FRUIT: Long Life
RAISINS: Good Health
NUTS: Intelligence
MINT: Curing Disease
CLOVES: Pleasures of Life
Attachments
D67A3D52-69C3-49C1-A207-C5760967F958.jpeg
D67A3D52-69C3-49C1-A207-C5760967F958.jpeg (177.9 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
mahebubchatur

Navroz Message from Chair of ITREB UK 21 Mar 2023

Post by mahebubchatur »

Navroz Message from the Chairman of ITREB UK,
Mr Farhad Mawani

Mr Mawani also shares his thoughts about why there is an increasing number of predominantly young members of the Jamat who are disengaging from our community, & there is a continuing decline in interest & attendance.

He does not share details of any specific surveys and research by our institutions of the causes, solutions & current programs. These are and should be done every 3 years as a part of the reports by the constitutional appointees & the appointment cycle

Mr Mawani is merely speculating about what “may be” the reasons for the increasing decline of interest attendance and or disengagement by mainly the younger members of the community

The executive Boards of ITREB, & Council have for decades, and are still blocking, Imam’s guidance, Farmans, our full constitution reports, surveys budgets & programs of the Jamat from the Jamat. This they know is against the guidance, Farmans and directions of Hazar Imam - link http://ismaili.net/timeline/2018/101-proofs-chatur.pdf

What Hazar Imam has also asked the Leaders & Jamat to do

“the institutions should achieve those reasonable objectives that should be achieved in order that they should serve the Jamat and the people amongst whom the Jamat lives as effectively as possible. And that means careful planning, identifying the needs of the Jamat, performing effectively, being answerable, having results verified and if there are failures correcting the failures, not hiding them, correcting them. THESE ARE THE PREMISES On which I hope the Jamat WILL CONTINUE to provide support and service to the institutions. BECAUSE those are to premises on which I believe the institutions should be expected to perform in the future (Farman Mumbai)
Ismaili constitution viewtopic.php?p=70893&sid=d252af5f1a662 ... 3cc#p70893

I have requested a response from ITREBS Councils DJI & LIF - no response so far

FULL MESSAGE
The Chairman of ITREB UK
Mr Farhad Mawani👇🏽

“On the auspicious occasion of Navroz, I join all our Mukhis, Kamadias, Mukhianis, Kamadianis, and institutional leaders in wishing our brothers and sisters, Navroz Mubarak.

May this new year bring happiness, barakah and mushkil asan for all. Today, millions of people around the world are celebrating Navroz which, this year, is on the doorstep of the month of Ramadhan.

For us, this day also symbolises spiritual renewal, followed by a period of heightened efforts towards piety during the holy month.

Let us take a moment to offer gratitude for all the blessings we have in our lives, such as our families, friends, and, most importantly, the blessing of the guidance of Mawlana Hazar Imam.

A question that I have been asked frequently by members of the Jamat is, 'Why are we seeing an increasing number of predominantly young people disengaging from our community?'

This question may arise from families seeing a reduced attendance in Jamatkhana, although the term disengagement needs to be explored further. There may be a number of reasons for this, such as increasing secularisation, changing priorities, or, in some cases, not feeling welcomed or accepted into the community.

The composition of the Jamat in our jurisdiction has changed significantly over the past half-a-century.

The murids born in the UK now outnumber those who migrated here from East Africa in the 1970s.

Due to more recent migration, members of the Jamat from Central and South Asia, have enriched the language and cultural traditions of our Jamat.

In addition, we are living in a multi-cultural society in the UK and Europe, with our youth meeting people from different walks of life with alternative world views.

It is increasingly common that they
will form friendships, partnerships and marriages with people from different faiths.

Our Imam has taught us that diversity is a strength. But, this would be true, only, if we understand, respect, and welcome people who are different from us.

We are all from one soul and Allah made us all different, so that, as the Qur'an says, 'we may know one another.' We also need to ask ourselves, how can we be truly inclusive and accepting, of different cultures, of languages, of multi-faith families, of levels of abilities and disabilities, of gender representation, of lifestyle considerations, of socio-economic status and other social hardship that may make people feel

If we think of Ismailis as people living by certain values rather than ritual practices, then our engagement and interactions will be more positive and healthier, because of the values we have in common. It is extremely important for the future of our Jamat that we adopt a welcoming attitude towards the diversity we are experiencing, so that we do not make others feel uncomfortable or marginalised. Because, in the process, we will also be distancing our own spiritual brothers and sisters.

It is important that we are able to have positive conversations when talking about our community whilst accepting others and dispelling the notion that there is only one correct way to believe in or practice the Ismaili tariqah. Faith is personal and people connect to it in different ways, especially in the current context.

Through education, reading, critical thinking and dialogue in the Jamat, we can equip ourselves better to have discussions around why faith is relevant in today's society, and how by talking in a more inclusive way, we can be a more progressive community where many will feel that sense of belonging.

In my experience, challenging conversations often happen around rites of passage.

During my term of office, I have spoken to at least 25 couples who were embarking on an interfaith marriage. The couples appreciated a better understanding of the concepts of Nikah and Bayah, and felt much more comfortable about these ceremonies after being able to have a discussion. So let's start having these conversations earlier and more openly. In addition to focusing on religious education for our children we will also be looking at a programme of religious education for the whole Jamat to cover these important issues around how we strengthen our community by understanding each other better.

What I have mentioned about inclusiveness also applies to all those in our Jamat who are
vulnerable - the elderly, the poor, those living with physical or mental health conditions. It is our responsibility to ensure that they are looked after, cared for, and supported so that they have a better quality of life. Otherwise, there is a risk that they will isolate themselves, become lonely, lose touch with the Jamat, and suffer in silence. I am sure everyone has heard of cases where some people have faded away without anyone knowing.

Our values of kindness, generosity and voluntary service which are the strengths of our Jamat mean that we should look out for those who are vulnerable and isolated. Communities are made up of
people, not bricks and mortar.

What that means is that if each individual were to change their behaviour and attitude, it will change our whole community's approach to inclusiveness.

Navroz is a good time for a renewal of our commitment to pluralism that Mawlana Hazar Imam has repeatedly encouraged us to adopt.

Finally, I would like to mention another risk to our Jamat, and that is of technology. We have seen the benefits of technology in connecting people and accessing information, once we
have deciphered which sources of information we can trust.

However, with the convenience
of working from home that technology gives us, comes an increasing cost of loneliness. In fact, many people are now opting to return back to their workplaces, despite the travel and expense, in order to meet their colleagues and feel part of a community again. As technology becomes more sophisticated, it will continue to challenge our sense of
community and how we practice our faith.

Take the example of artificial intelligence with voice-activated technology.

One of my family members visited a 93-year-old lady. As the daylight faded, she was about to help by turning the lights on but was surprised by the lady saying 'Alexa- lights on'. We are not very far from asking Alexa, to recite a ginan or recite the D'ua. Artificial intelligence does pose a threat to all types of communities as they feel less of a need to come together. But while embracing technology, we should be careful that it does not encourage isolation and replace community by understanding what we stand to lose: namely a sense of belonging, our values such as volunteering, helping each other and protecting the most vulnerable. We would also lose opportunities for physical and social engagement, congregational prayer and enhancing our spiritual well-being. While we should not shy away from technology, let us ensure that it remains under our control and does not claim mastery over our minds.

At this new beginning of Navroz, let us reflect and renew our collective responsibility in looking after our world and the people within it.

Through greater cultural literacy, open dialogue and deeper reflection, let us engage our minds in the understanding of our faith and accept one another with empathy and compassion.

Hai Zinda.
swamidada

Re: Navroz Message from Chair of ITREB UK 21 Mar 2023

Post by swamidada »

mahebubchatur wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:42 pm Navroz Message from the Chairman of ITREB UK,
Mr Farhad Mawani

Mr Mawani also shares his thoughts about why there is an increasing number of predominantly young members of the Jamat who are disengaging from our community, & there is a continuing decline in interest & attendance.

He does not share details of any specific surveys and research by our institutions of the causes, solutions & current programs. These are and should be done every 3 years as a part of the reports by the constitutional appointees & the appointment cycle
ITREB AND IIS ARE FAILURES.
Ismaili leadership is hiding behind POLICY, PREROGATIVE, PRIORITY. They have no guts to to respond NEGATIVE PROPAGANDA ABOUT IMAM AND ISMAILISM ON SOCIAL MEDIA. Hazar Imam is spending $100+ millions (may be more, I don't have exact figure, neither leadership declares) on IIS AND ITREBs. Conservative leadership is still living in era of MSMS. Since 1960 Imam made some important changes, leadership listened from one ear and out from other. They did not implemented Hidayat which was most important, and because of leader's and ITREB's attitude THOUSANDS OF YOUTH AND FAMILIES LEFT ISMAILISM AND ADOPTED OTHER TARIQAS. In Pakistan particularly in Karachi thousands of youth have quit Ismailism. same I witnessed during my visit to USA, London. IS OUR TARIQA WEAKER THAN OTHER TARIQAS? Youth complain,' we are not getting proper answers and explanation from ITREB officials, missionaries and religion teachers'. Past few years there is negative propaganda against Ismailis spread by turn coats. In my opinion IIS should start Ismaili religion blog by appointing few top Ismaili scholars to engage with youth and simultaneously explain our Tariqa to non Ismailis.
mahebubchatur

About Navroz

Post by mahebubchatur »

“ Why do Ismailis celebrate Nawruz? An esoteric explanation of the ancient festival

"The Naw-ruz Festival"

"Now let us see with insight what the reality of this example of Naw-ruz is and what the spiritual Naw-ruz festival is for the true mu’mins? It is important to consider this question because every festival, religious or worldly, cannot prove to be the real and spiritual festival if it only provides more and more means of physical happiness. Therefore, it is necessary for it to be a spiritual festival simultaneously with it being a physical one, as it is reported in a famous Hadith, that Allah has founded the basis of His religion on the pattern of the physical world (khalq), so that this may be a guide towards His religion and His religion to His oneness.

The description of the religious spring and the real Naw-ruz festival is that, just as the sun is in the centre of the universe and does not move from its place, the eternal light of the Imam of the time is always in the same state and does not change at all. Further, just as the different parts of the planet earth due to its daily and annual movement pass through light and darkness and become close to or far from the sun and due to which the changes in day and night, and seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter continue, and as in the Arctic, the Antarctic and in many other deserts of the planet earth the question of habitation, season of spring and the Naw-ruz festival does not arise at present, in the same way there is still time for the light of Imamat to shine on some human souls. Further, just as in certain regions of the planet earth, due to their being on the equator or close to it, plants do not become dormant, in the same way there are certain mu’mins in whose heart the heat of devotion and love for the Imam of the time always remain and the flowers of spiritual happiness always bloom. This example of the beneficence of the light of Imamat is according to the physical and spiritual position of the select and the common.

The physical significance and beneficence of the Imam of the time in this connection are note-worthy; for instance, that the example of the light of Imamat and the human souls, which is given by the sun and the planet earth is true, but the sun does not have a choice, while the Imam has absolute choice. Therefore, we want to explain further that suppose a great and wondrous mirror is set up on the surface of the earth. This mirror shows the luminous reflection of the world-illuminating sun wherever it turns its face and there it cases the happiness of Naw-ruz and the cheer of spring. This is the example of the Imam of the time, because with respect to his corporeality he is the mazhar of the Divine favours and blessings and mirror of the eternal light. It is because of this that the spiritual season of the Ismaili worlds always remain temperate and extremely pleasant and there is always spring in them. Thus the real Naw-ruz festival is found in the individual spirituality of mu’mins. That is, every sincere mu’min’s initial spiritual progress is his Naw-ruz festival, in the sense that when the mu’min truly obeys the light of Imamat, the personal world of his heart, due to spiritual vegetation and prosperity, becomes like the garden of Paradise."
– 'Allamah Nasir al-Din Hunzai, (Extracts from A Key to Wisdom, Karachi June 1995, pp. 64-67)
(Ismaili Gnosis)

“Ismaili Muslims worldwide observe Navroz (Nowruz), a festival that marks the beginning of a new year and the first day of spring. Navroz signifies a time of spiritual renewal and physical rejuvenation, as well as a spirit of gratitude for blessings and an outlook of hope and optimism.

Navroz commemorates a centuries-old, agrarian custom that over time was integrated into various cultures and faith traditions. Its origins are traced to ancient Persia, being the first day of the Persian solar year.

The celebration of Navroz has extended through various parts of the Muslim world and beyond, over the centuries. Today, Navroz is celebrated by some 300 million people in Iran, Tajikistan, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, and many other countries. In each of these different regions of the world, Navroz is observed in diverse ways. The commemorations blend together local cultures and customs with the religious beliefs and interpretations found in different regions of the world.

In Iran, Navroz is a national holiday for two weeks, and starts with a spring cleaning of the house. The moment that the sun crosses the celestial equator is calculated to the exact minute and second. At this moment, called Saal Tahvil, literally meaning “turning point of the year,” families gather together around the Haft Seen table to wish one another Navroz Mubarak, exchange gifts, and offer prayers.

In Surah Ya-Sin of the Holy Qur’an, Allah says:

There is a sign for them in the lifeless earth: We give it life and We produce grain from it for them to eat. We have put gardens of date palms and grapes in the earth, and We have made springs of water gush out of it so that they could eat its fruit. It was not their own hands that made all this. How can they not give thanks?

— Surah 36, Verses 33–35

Ismailis across the globe celebrate Navroz with the recital of devotional poetry in the form of ginans, qasidas, and manqabas. Dried fruits, nuts, and grains are distributed among Jamati members, symbolising blessings of abundance and sustenance. Navroz is also a time of family gatherings and celebratory meals, thus strengthening family bonds and fraternal ties.

On this occasion, The Ismaili warmly wishes Navroz Mubarak to our readers and to the Ismaili Jamat worldwide. (TheIsmaili)
kmaherali

Musarrat E Navroz

Post by kmaherali »

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzvPUKq19g

The Ismaili is pleased to present “Musarrat e Navroz” performed by Taufiq Karmali. The song’s lyrics offer felicitations on the joyous occasion of Navroz — the first day of spring and the start of a new year.

#Navroz #ismaili #Nawruz
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

In these times of great challenge, Nowruz promotes dialogue, good neighborliness and reconciliation.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres

What is Nowruz and why do we celebrate it?

Nowruz marks the first day of spring and is celebrated on the day of the astronomical vernal equinox, which usually occurs on 21 March. It is celebrated as the beginning of the new year by more than 300 million people all around the world and has been celebrated for over 3,000 years in the Balkans, the Black Sea Basin, the Caucasus, Central Asia, the Middle East and other regions.

Inscribed in 2009 on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity as a cultural tradition observed by numerous peoples, Nowruz is an ancestral festivity marking the first day of spring and the renewal of nature. It promotes values of peace and solidarity between generations and within families as well as reconciliation and neighbourliness, thus contributing to cultural diversity and friendship among peoples and different communities.

Nowruz plays a significant role in strengthening the ties among peoples based on mutual respect and the ideals of peace and good neighbourliness. Its traditions and rituals reflect the cultural and ancient customs of the civilizations of the East and West, which influenced those civilizations through the interchange of human values.

Celebrating Nowruz means the affirmation of life in harmony with nature, awareness of the inseparable link between constructive labour and natural cycles of renewal and a solicitous and respectful attitude towards natural sources of life.

Background
International Nowruz Day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly, in its resolution A/RES/64/253 of 2010, at the initiative of several countries that share this holiday. Under the agenda item of “culture of peace”, the member states of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Albania, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkey and Turkmenistan prepared and introduced a draft resolution (A/64/L.30) entitled "International Day of Nowruz" to the ongoing 64th session of the General Assembly of the United Nations for its consideration and adoption.

In the 71st plenary meeting on 23 February 2010, The General Assembly welcomed the inclusion of Nowruz in the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization on 30 September 2009.

It also recognized 21 March as the International Day of Nowruz, and invited interested Member States, the United Nations, in particular its relevant specialized agencies, funds and programmes, and mainly the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and interested international and regional organizations, as well as non-governmental organizations, to participate in events organized by States where Nowruz is celebrated.

https://www.un.org/en/observances/inter ... 0Nowruz%20(Novruz%2C%20Navruz,usually%20occurs%20on%2021%20Mar
kmaherali

"Navroz Mubarak" Geet - Tazim Kurji

Post by kmaherali »

Navroz Mubarak

On the Auspicious occasion of Navroz, Tazim Kurji, in collaboration with Dr. Karim Gillani and JollyGul, is delighted to present her first recorded solo music video of the original geet “Navroz Mubarak”.

Navroz or Nowruz as it is known in different parts of the world, is an important festival that marks the first day of spring, symbolizing renewal of nature, rebirth, translates to “new day” and is also the Persian New Year.

Tazim is a talented, experienced vocalist and performer based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. She has had a passion for music from a young age and has performed live with well-known artists such as Kamal Taj, late Shamshu Jamal and many others. Tazim was very generous with her time during Covid in entertaining and providing hope to listeners through many online performances. Tazim beautifully presents “Navroz Mubarak” in her melodious voice, and sincerely hopes that it generates happiness, joy, and unity in the hearts of all listeners.

Navroz Mubarak has been melodiously and soulfully composed in Raga Bhairavi by Dr. Karim Gillani. The equally excellent musical arrangement is by Din’s Production. The wonderful poetry is thoughtfully penned by Nasir Shamsi from Multan, Pakistan.

Special and sincere thanks go out to Dr. Karim Gillani without whose guidance and support this production would not have been possible. Sincere thanks also go out to Karim Poonja for his dedication to the direction as well the entire production team and their families for their support.

A joyous and happy Navroz Mubarak to all listeners! `

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3TI1luYKg
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

While posting on U TUBE, I have noticed on many occasions, any article, speech, discussions, or Ismaili recording of geet or song 'the comments' are blocked. Are we scared of comments or chats by non Ismailis? Are we not capable of of debating or answering the questions of non Ismailis. Let their be healthy debate.
kmaherali

Nowruz Mubarak | Zahir Pardhan | Farzana Kanji | Sameer Siraj | Shellina Jamal | Vijay Nair

Post by kmaherali »

Nowruz Mubarak

“Nowruz Mubarak,” is a soul-stirring song with a heartfelt message of letting go of past grievances and embracing unity and joy, and is a musical ode to renewal and harmony.

Produced by the talented Zahir Pardhan, who is responsible for both its composition and lyrics, “Nowruz Mubarak” encourages us to come together in celebration of Nowruz. It brings together the enchanting vocals of Farzana Kanji, Sameer Siraj, Shellina Jamal, Vijay Nair, and Zahir Pardhan, set to the melodious music arrangements by Asad Khan.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66Tc-Wa-us
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

Nawroz Mubarak. Hazar Imam asked all the community to be his Dais and for the Ismaili faith to be understood explained and demystified. Not to hide but to “look at issues straight in the face, “we will ask the hard questions. We will not go back to an obscurantism**, to a form of intellectual retreat”
** obscurantism means “the practice of deliberately preventing the facts or full details of something from becoming known.

Full insights from Hazar Imam and a video clip to enjoy learn understand & share 👇🏽https://x.com/chaturmahebub/status/1770 ... hqfO552USg
kmaherali

Navroz Mubarak Tumhe

Post by kmaherali »

Navroz Mubarak Tumhe

This Navroz, let the soul-stirring voice of Dr. Sehar Khowaja immerse you in a celebration of renewal and hope with "Navroz Mubarak Tumhe". This enchanting song, rich with the essence of spring and new beginnings, is penned by the talented Mr. Zulfiqar Ali Jessani. It promises to uplift spirits and spread joy, encapsulating the festival's spirit of life, love, and unity.

With music arranged by Mr. Aqeel Ahmed and produced by Mr. Nizar Noorali Kassam, the song is a vibrant call to embrace the season's warmth. The captivating video, brought to life by Mr. Saleem Rajani and editors Alishah Karim & Saleem J. Tejani, further enriches its message, inviting you to partake in a journey of peace, prosperity, and harmony.

"Navroz Mubarak Tumhe" isn't just a song; it's an invitation to celebrate the beauty of beginnings and the power of togetherness. As Dr. Khowaja's voice fills the air, let it inspire you to break down barriers and walk paths of goodness towards a hopeful future.

Join us in welcoming spring with "Navroz Mubarak Tumhe" – a celebration of happiness, love, and unity, now streaming on the JollyGul Main Channel.

Noroz Mubarak Tumhe! `

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlf1bo ... e=youtu.be
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

HISTORY

What to Know About Nowruz, a 3,000-Year-Old Festival Celebrated by Millions Worldwide

BY KOH EWEMARCH 19, 2024 6:30 AM EDT

Some 300 million people around the world are starting their annual celebration of renewal and harmony with nature in what is to them the biggest cultural holiday of the year, typically involving 13 days of rituals.

Nowruz (alternatively spelled Nauruz, Nauryz, Navruz, Nevruz, Nooruz, Norooz, Norouz, or Novruz), also known as Persian New Year (Nowruz means “new day” in Persian), is celebrated across ethnic groups with a common Silk Roads heritage, including Afghanistan, India, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Turkey, as well as their diaspora in other countries.

When is Nowruz?
Nowruz, which marks the first day of spring, is celebrated at the time—down to the second—of the vernal equinox, the point at which the sun is equally aligned over the Northern and Southern hemispheres, based on the earth’s rotation and tilt.

When exactly Nowruz begins thus varies across countries, depending on time zones. This year, it takes place at 26 seconds past 6.36 a.m., March 20, in Tehran, Iran (11:06 p.m., March 19, EDT). In India, Nowruz is celebrated on two days, this year on March 20 and August 15, based on calculations according to two different calendars.

The United Nations declared March 21, when the vernal equinox usually occurs, to be the International Day of Nowruz in a 2010 resolution.

What are its origins?
Exactly when Nowruz began as a festival is unclear, though many believe it to date back around 3,000 years ago, with roots in Zoroastrianism, one of the world’s oldest monotheistic religions. Ancient texts suggest that Nowruz was celebrated in the ancient city of Persepolis, the ceremonial capital of the Achaemenid Empire which lasted from 550 to 330 BC.

There are several legends surrounding the origins of Nowruz that spotlight a particular heroic figure. In one, Jamshid, a mythical Persian king, soared into the skies on a chariot on the first day of spring, bringing such a majestic sight to onlookers on the ground that they started commemorating the day of that ride. Another version says that Jamshid was commanded by a Zoroastrian deity to battle his twin brother, Ahriman, who represented darkness and death and had brought calamities. Jamshid defeated Ahriman—a triumph of good over evil—bringing prosperity to the place he ruled.

How is Nowruz celebrated today?
People typically spend weeks preparing for Nowruz, mostly by spring cleaning. During the festival, family visits and communal meals are common, along with gift exchanges.

There are also ways of celebrating that differ by country. In Afghanistan, people eat haft mewa, a dessert with syrup-soaked dried fruits, and play the national sport of buzkashi, which sees horse-riding players try to wrest control of a headless goat carcass.

In Azerbaijan, where Nowruz was once prohibited by the Soviet regime and celebrated in secret, rituals are held on four Tuesdays—each involving a different element: water, fire, earth, and wind—before the official start of Nowruz, heralding the beginning of spring.

In Iran, every celebrating family puts together a haft-seen, a table of items with symbolic, auspicious meanings, which include dried fruit, apples, garlic, vinegar, and sprouts that can grow through the festival as a sign of rebirth. The sprouts, or Sabze, are typically released into running water in nature on the last day of Nowruz.

How Nowruz is changing
Amid economic troubles and steep inflation, Nowruz celebrations in Iran in recent years have been marked by greater austerity. And as political tensions persist between hardline authorities and liberal youth in Iran, annual public dances celebrating Nowruz have become a symbol of defiance in a country where women dancing with men is frowned upon by conservatives.

Nowruz celebrants have also become increasingly concerned about climate change affecting the ancient festival, which is rooted in an appreciation and connection with nature. “Everywhere you look there are rising temperatures, lack of water, the depletion of natural species,” Persis Karim, director of the Center for Iranian Diaspora Studies at San Francisco State University, told the BBC this month. “Nowruz is now in some ways under threat, and it could be linked to an understanding about the vulnerability of our planet and our participation in that vulnerability.”

Despite, and even perhaps more importantly because of, the contemporary challenges the holiday faces, Nowruz has been increasingly recognized across the world. In 2009, Nowruz was inscribed on UNESCO’s Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

“At a time when violent extremism seeks to destroy diversity and freedoms,” then Director-General of UNESCO Irina Bokova said during Nowruz in 2017, “Nowruz is a reminder of the power of culture and heritage to build resilient and sustainable societies.”

https://time.com/6958290/what-is-nowruz ... explainer/
mahebubchatur

Navroz 2024

Post by mahebubchatur »

Greetings and information from Dar Khanna Mukhi and Kamadia Shahebans London UK

“ Navroz Mubarak!

Navroz heralds the arrival of Spring, symbolizing the rejuvenation of nature and the assurance of light and vitality. May this Navroz be a joyous occasion, bringing us together in unity and shared celebration.

On this auspicious occasion of both Navroz and Ramadan, let us embrace the new year with renewed appreciation for the blessings that enrich our lives.

Mawlana Hazar Imam has blessed the Jamat with Mubarak Talika, which will be read to the Jamat this evening, together with the gift of rozi as a symbol of his blessings for spiritual and material abundance for the year ahead. The rozi juro will be distributed to the Jamat tonight.

We look forward to celebrating Navroz with you and pray that this day brings you and your families abundant blessings for good health, happiness and unity in your homes. Ameen.

Navroz and Ramadan Mubarak. 21 March 2024
mahebubchatur

Re: Facts about Navroz 2024

Post by mahebubchatur »

The Ismaili
Attachments
IMG_2197.jpeg
IMG_2197.jpeg (175.32 KiB) Viewed 381 times
kmaherali

Samanak - A Nowruz Special | Fahima Sultani | Belqiss Younusi | Dari | With Lyrics & Translations

Post by kmaherali »

Samanak: A Nowruz Special

JollyGul is excited to announce the release of "Samanak," a cherished Nowruz song, beautifully rendered in the Dari language by Fahima Sultani.

This song celebrates the traditional sweet dish Samanak, a hallmark of Nowruz festivities, symbolizing the onset of spring and communal harmony.

Dari, a dialect of Persian spoken in Afghanistan, carries the cultural richness and poetic elegance of the Afghan people.

With music by Noor Noori and production under Fahima Sultani Productions, this rendition is bound to resonate deeply. The song, originally sung by Belqiss Younusi, is presented by JollyGul Main Channel, complete with lyrics and translations, providing a glimpse into the vibrant Nowruz celebrations.

Eid Nawrozee Mubarak! `

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUiWtJm_Fpc
mahebubchatur

Talika 21 March 2024

Post by mahebubchatur »

Talika Mubarak and Farman to the Ismaili Jamat under the UK Jurisdiction. This unsigned copy was communicated by Leaders/DJI by email. A signed copy has been requested but has not been provided so far
Attachments
IMG_2206.jpeg
IMG_2206.jpeg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 343 times
IMG_2202.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg (164.61 KiB) Viewed 343 times