GUR HASSAN KABIRDEEN NE KANIFA JOGEE NO SAMAVAAD - DISCOURSE

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
kmaherali

GUR HASSAN KABIRDEEN NE KANIFA JOGEE NO SAMAVAAD - DISCOURSE

Post by kmaherali »

I would like to greet you all Imamat Day Mubarak with the following.

GUR HASSAN KABIRDEEN NE KANIFA JOGEE NO SAMAVAAD

DISCOURSE BETWEEN PEER HASSAN KABIRDEEN AND KANIFA JOGEE (SAINT)

THIS IS A TRANSLATION TAKEN FROM THE BOOK “Pir Hasen Kabirdin na Grantho”.
[THIS WORK IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATION DONE BY LATE ALWAEZ SHAMSHUDDIN BANDALI HAJI IN HIS BOOK 'NOOR EN ALLAH NOOR']

Jyaare naath jaali(n)dhare kanifaane sraap aapee(n)u – ne kahyu(n) je gopeecha(n)d seedh ne kaaneefaa radh. Taare Kanifa-e ateeshya geereeaa keedhee je, gurajee maaraa jeevno – aadhaar kem thaase! Taare naath jaali(n)dhare kahyu(n) je – paatth—
Govarcha(n)d kathaano—jaare aval aakharkaa gur hoegaa satagur peer sadardeen gur hasan kabeerdeen; uuaa(n) chhuttannaa(n) hoegaa teraa. “112”

According to parts 106-112 of the granth ‘Raajaa Govarcha(n)d aakheeyaan’ attributed to Peer Shamsh, the well known saint called Naath Jalindhar cursed his disciple Kanifa (due to his inappropriate behaviour in relation to the advice he gave King Govarchand ) and said: “Be condemned” (while complementing the King Govarchand for his quest for truth with the words) “Be glorified”. At that moment Kanifa pleaded intensely for forgiveness and said “How will my soul be liberated?” The saint Jalindhar responded thus “At the advent of the Light of the beginning and the end, Satgur Peer Sadardeen and Gur Hassan Kabeerdeen , you will attain salvation.

He Kanifa peer sadardeen gur hasan kabeer deen no janam u(n)ch maa(n)he thaase, ne te thakee taaree mugtee tyaare thaase. Taare rath jameenthee savaagaj u(n)cho yaane adhar chaale chhe te, jene joeene taro rath paddee jashe, te thakee taaree magatee thaashe, ho Kanifa.

(Naath Jalindhar predicted): O Kanifa, the birth of Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen will take place in the city of Unch and due to that your salvation will occur. The sign of this happening is that your chariot which normally rides (cruises) 11/4 gajes (1.4 meters) above the ground will fall to the ground upon seeing the Guide. Thereby your salvation will happen O Kanifa.

The birth of Gur Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen took place in Unch in the year sanvant 1386. At the time when Gur Hassan Kabeerdeen was nine years old, Kanifa also set forth to seek his guide as per the word of his master and when he arrived at the city of Unch, Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen met him as a child. When the chariot saw him he fell down from his riding position above the ground. Kanifa was convinced that his guide’s prediction had come to pass and that he had indeed met his perfect guide who would liberate him.

Kanifa greeted and prostrated before Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen with the following salutation:

Oha(n)g namo guru shabad hae, aad a(n)tko vesh, da(n)ddhva(n)t cheetase karu(n), mukhse kahu aadesh.

Meaning:
(O my Beloved Guide), “Ohang” is my Guru – Shabda(Word of Light), it is the Holy Name and the Holy Dress of beginning and the end(i.e. of the timeless) – I prostrate with full awareness ( or with my heart and soul) and offer salutations: “Aadesh” to you.

To which Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen replied: “ O saint (Kanifa), “Aadesh” is the salutation of the past and was prevalent during the age of Dwapur Yug at the time of “Parshuram”. Now, say “Salaam” O saint.

The discourse thus started as follows:

Kanifa: Who are you?

PHK(Pir Hasan Kabirdeen): I am the servant of Shri Ramcha(n)ddhraji (the seventh incarnation of Lord Vishnu), and of the unknowable (“nirinjan”) and the formless (“nirakar”), who sustains the creation and who has established the four “vedas” (scriptures). I prostrate before Him who has assumed ten manifestations (avatars) O saint.

Kanifa: Do you have knowledge about the ten manifestations?

PHK: Yes.

Kanifa: What are their names?

PHK:
First - “Machha Avataar” (fish) |
Second - “Korabh Avataar” (tortoise)
Third – “Varah Avataar” (man-animal in a forest)
Fourth - “Narsee(n)h Avataar” (man-lion)
Fifth - “Vaman Avataar” (Dwarf)
Sixth – “Parsuram Avataar” (Horse riding ruler)
Seventh – “Ramchandraji Avataar” ( Sri Ram – King)
Eighth – “Karsanji Avataar” (Lord Krishna)
Ninth – “Budh Avataar” (Budh – intellect aspect)
And Tenth – “Sri Naklank Avataar” ( Hazrat Ali - Pure and spotless aspect)

I have lived in loving relationship with the above mentioned ten incarnations and have served them.

Kanifa: What took place at the time of “Machha Avataar”?

PHK: There was a devil called “Sankhasur” who took away the “Veds” ( religious scriptures) and concealed them in the deep ocean. “(Guru) Bhramaji” ( who was Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen) meditated to secure the Lord’s help. As a result Lord Vishnu incarnated as a fish and killed “Sankhasur” and gave the scriptures to “Bhramaji”.

Kanifa: What form of devoted services did you render at the time of “Korabh Avataar”?

PHK: My Lord extracted fourteen precious items from the ocean, churning the ocean with the Mountain Meru. The python “sheshnaag” was used by the Lord as twine for churning. While the process of churning was taking place, the earth began to sink into the “paataal” (undersurface). Because of this, angels in the heavens prayed to my Lord and my Beloved Lord incarnated as “Korabh Avtaar” and supported Mountain Meru, and stopped it from sinking. My Lord had to bear so much pain at the time. As soon as the fourteen precious items were removed, my Lord ended the “Korabh Avataar”. Kanifa, I was present there with my Lord and I rendered before the Lord my most humble services. Since then onwards, I have continued my services to my Lord.

Kanifa: Do you know the names of the fourteen precious items?

PHK: Yes Listen!
“Lakhshmi” (Fortune)
“Kostub mani” (Precious stone – by the touch of which metal would turn to gold)
“Sa(n)kh”(“Sha(n)kh”) (Conch-shell, clarion?)
“Dhanushya” (Bow)
“Kalap vraksha” (Tree of graceful shelter)
“Kaamdhenu gaay”(The cow of paradise)
“Saragki apasraa”(Fairy)
“Eraava(n)t haathi saat sunddhrakaa” (Elephant of paradise having seven tusks)
“Dhanvantree ved”(Herbs and medicines)
“Saat mu(n)kaa ghoddo”(A horse with seven faces)
“Vikh”(Poison)
“Chanddra”(Moon)
“Ktur”(Wine)
“Amrat”(Nectar for gaining eternal life)
These are the fourteen precious items, o sage.

Kanifa: What services did you render at the time of “Varah Avataar”?

PHK: There was a devil called “Mor” who terrified the whole world, and especially Indra, the angel of rain. He terrified Indra to such an extent that Indra almost left his position. The angels in the heaven were much disturbed and prayed to the Lord. My lord incarnated in Varah Avataar and killed the powerful Mor. I have been at the service of the Lord since then.

Kanifa: What form of services did you render at the time of Narsinh Avataar?

PHK: During the period of Narsinh Avataar there was a five year old child whose name was Pailaj. Pailaj was deeply religious as he continuously rendered services to our Lord, while always remembering the Lord. Pailaj’s father was a terror. His name was Harna Kans. Harna Kans warned his son not to recite the jamp Narsinh. Pailaj answered that he would not, under any circumstance, leave the remembrance of the Holy name.
Harna Kansa thereafter began to torture Pailaj by many methods. He pushed him in a tub of hot oil, he put him under the feet of an elephant, he threw him into the stormy sea, he placed him in a fire, and also threw from the peak of a mountain. Pailaj withstood all, with the Lord’s help. Eventually, Harna Kans forced Pailaj to embrace a heated pillar saying arrogantly, “Where now, Pailaj, is your Lord? And how is He going to help you?” Pailaj replied, “My Lord is in the pillar.”
Harna Kans was extremely angry and forced Pailaj to embrace the hot pillar. And when Pailaj was about to embrace the hot pillar, instantly! Shri Narsang, my Lord became manifest and killed Harna Kansa. My Lord made Bhagat Pailaj sit on the Royal Throne and thereafter Narsinh Avtar ended. I have been serving the Lord since that time.

Kanifa: What services did you render at the time of Vaaman Avtar?

PHK: My Lord incarnate as Vaaman(dwarf) Avtaar went to the yagna ceremony of Bali Raja(King Bal who was harassing devotees). My Lord asked Bali Raja for land measuring three and a half of His (Vaaman’s) foot-steps. Bali Raja promised to give the desired land. The Lord Shri Vaaman, with his Virat Swarup(Supernatural form), measured in one step the Swarga(heavens), in another the Mratyulok(earth) and in the third, the Patal(undersurface). The Lord then asked Bali Raja to provide the remaining half step of land. Since no land was left over, Bali Raja became worried. Immediately my Lord placed His Divine foot on the head of Bali Raja thus pressing him into the undersurface (the Patal). The Vaaman Avtaar then ended. I rendered my services since then.

Kaanifaa: What services did you render at the time of Parshuraam Avataar?

PHK: The Lord incarnated in the house of saint Jalvagan. He killed the devil Sahestra Arjun then Ram Avataar incarnated and Parshuram Avataar ended. I have been serving the Lord since then.

Kaanifaa: What services did you render at the time of Ramchanddraji Avataar?

PHK: Ravan and Kumbha Karan were two terrible devils who horrified and harassed tentris cror devtas (angels). The devtas prayed intensely to Lord Shri Rama. Guru Bhrahmaji also joined the tentris cror devtas in this special prayer. Shri Vishnu blessed the devtas and Guru Bhrahmaji saying that He would incarnate as Shri Ram Avtaar at the house of Raja Dashrath.
Ravan was very powerful, highly intelligent, and a very gifted Raja due to Shri Vishnu’s blessings. But, since Ravan, along with his other influential colleagues, played arrogant roles against religion. The Lord incarnate as Shri Ram killed all the devils – opponents of the Divine mission.
O Kanifa, my Beloved Lord imparted freedom to the tentris cror devtas. He made Vibikshan sit on the royal throne. Thereafter the era of Shri Ram Avtaar ended. I have been serving the Lord since then.

Kanifa: What services did you render during the time of Shri Karsanji Avtaar?

PHK: O Kanifa, I have served my Lord Krishna to the best of my ability and with sincerity. My Lord developed Dwarka City so magnificiently - the city was turned golden and most beautiful. My Lord killed many devils and influential persons who opposed the Divine mission. My Lord made Raja Dharam sit on the throne and gifted glories to the momins of the time, the Panch Pandwas.
During the Budha Avtaar also my Lord killed all the anti-Religious people and those of Satanic nature.

Kanifa: What services have you rendered to the Shri Naklanki Avtaar?

PHK: O Kanifa, my Lord is Shri Vishnu Var Datar Mowla Murtaza Ali, He Himself incarnated in Arabi Rup (Arabic form) at the city of Mecca. His Father's name was Hazarat Abu Talib, and His mother's name was Mata Bibi Zuleikha Fatima Binti Asad. My Lord Mowla Murtaza Ali killed hundreds of Kafirs and He enlightened 'Islam'. As the Naklanki Avtaar, He shall kill all the Devils and enemies of religion. He shall establish the Truth, He shall always protect the Religion of the Noor, the "Noor-en-Ala Noor," the "Ever-living Guide."
O Kanifa, I have been serving my Beloved Lord Mowla Murtaza Ali and I shall always be in His Holy Huzur (presence).

Kanifa: The Lord shall give you rewards for your worthy services rendered to His Holy house.

PHK: What rewards do you mean?

Kanifa: 'Ridhi' (prosperity)?

PHK: I never think of it.

Kanifa: 'Sidhi' (achievements)?

PHK: They are not of interest to me.

Kanifa: 'Mukti' (emancipation)?

PHK: Prosperity, achievements and emancipation are all servants of mine - they serve me day and night.

Kanifa: What about 'Achal Pad' (Everlasting Glorified Seat)?

PHK: It is insignificant to me. My Lord has graced 'Achal Pad' to many great personalities of the past.

Kanifa: Who are the great personalities to whom the Lord granted Everlasting Glory?

PHK: It has been granted to Dhruv.

Kanifa: What services did Dhruv render to the Lord?

PHK: Dhruv was only 5 years old, the son of a king Utanpat, when he rendered service to my Lord most sincerely, whole-heartedly, and with great affection. My Beloved Lord most graciously granted 'Achal Pad' to Dhruv.

Kanifa: To what country do you belong?

PHK: I am the resident of the 'Eternal World' where there is 'Braham', and where mysterious actions are constantly played by my Beloved Lord. Enormous Light illumines without any lamp or oil. I am the resident of such Divine Land.

Kanifa: What is your identity?

PHK: I am nameless. I am Eternal and Everlasting - that is my identity.

Kanifa: When shall death come to you?

PHK: I shall die when Shri Ram shall -- I am in fact deathless, Eternal. The whole world is under my feet, I am the resident of the Supreme Paradise.

Kanifa: You talk in a big way, but you are just a child!

PHK: I live contented always. I played an important role during the four 'Yugas' and was the servant of the Lord Shri Rama, the "Noor" of Mowla Murtaza Ali.

Kanifa: What 'Yugas' have elapsed?

PHK: There have been four 'Yugas' - 'Karta', 'Treta', 'Dwapur', and 'Kaliyuga'. I am well aware of what happened in all the four 'Yugas' as I was always present.

Kanifa: What were your identities during the four 'Yugas'?

PHK: I was Gur Brahma in Karta Yuga,
I was Vashistji in Treta Yuga,
I was Vidur Vyasji in Dwapur Yuga, and
I was Mohammad in Kaliyuga.

Kanifa: What was the reason the Lord adopted the ten 'Avtaars' and what were His Divine aspects?

PHK: My Lord most graciously, to help the momins of each of the eras, incarnated in Avtaars. Particularly since the time of 'momin bhagat' - pious devotee Ambrish. My Lord took the 'Avtaars:

Two of Jalchar, i.e., in water,
Two of Vanchar, i.e., in jungle
Two of Vipra, i.e., of traders
Two of Rajvansh, i.e., of rulers,
Two of Malechh i.e., of Muslim (Post Adam).

Kanifa: What were the lengths of each of the Yugas?

PHK: During Karta Yuga -- 1,728,000 years, there were four Avtaars - 'Machha', 'Korabh', 'Varah' and 'Narsinh'.
During Treta Yuga -- 1,296,000 years, there were three Avtaars - 'Vaman', 'Farsiram', and 'Ramchandra'.
During Dwapur Yuga -- 864,000 years, there were two Avtaars - 'Karsan' and 'Budh'.
and in KaliYuga -- 432,000 years there was one Avtaar - Shri Naklanki Dev.
I have been present during all the four Yugas.

(There is another theory that the above mentioned time periods could be days giving 4800, 3600, 2400 and 1200 years respectively. In my opinion this looks more plausible)

Kanifa: But you look like a child and yet you talk of such great four Yugas.

PHK: I am merely a humble servant of the Lord Shri Islam Shah. My Lord Shri Islam Shah graced my father, Pir Sadardin, with three titles. While being granted the awards, my father Pir Sadardeen wept and made 'Giriyazari' constantly for Iman, Ishq and the Lord's constant 'Kirpa' or mercies.

Kanifa: What were the titles your father Satgur Pir Sadardin was awarded by the Lord Shri Islam Shah?

PHK: 1st title - 'Sadardin' meaning 'the shelter of religion',
2nd title - 'Sohdev' meaning 'the chief of the angels (Devs)'
3rd title - 'Barghur' meaning 'the Guru of the twelve cror Ruhanis',
4th title - 'Harish Chandra' meaning 'the Light of God, one who publicizes the Knowledge of God'.

These are the titles of my father Pir Sadardin. O Kanifa, our 'Satpanth' is superior to all 'Panths'.

Kanifa: What is your 'Satpanth' and its definition?

PHK: [In the Gujerati text the Pir mentions the Ginan "Pa(n)thi so pa(n)thi ho". The following answer is the gist of it.]
All the creation is but the manifestation of my Lord, the 'Jamin-Asman' (earth and heavens) is where my Lord Swami Rajo exists. My 'Swamiji' is the One and the Only True Yogi (sage) --. He is the Yogi forever and has been Yogi since all past Yugas.

Did you know that Yogis shave their heads but they do not bother to shave their minds: how can they expect to go to Heaven.

Look at the 'Mundra' (earrings) that you wear on your ears, they all the time shake due to the wind. Kanipa, the 'Mundra' of my mind are far superior to yours because the 'Mundra' of my mind are stable and unshaken.

My mind is my 'Mundra', my body is like a clean pond. The Ashes of Truth are what I apply upon my body and not the ashes of fire that yogis apply.

Your body is fragile, it exists by air. It perishes eventually, therefore any decoration such as 'Mundra' and application of ash is worthless -- no Spiritual Enlightenment is obtained.

Did you know that during The Divine Nine Avtaars of my Lord, my Lord killed nine most terrible devils, and in Kaliyuga my Lord shall kill the Devil Kalinga.

PHK: "O my beloved momins, let us get together and serve our most Beloved Lord Hazer Imam Mowla Murtaza Ali. This world is doubtlessly unreal, it vanishes in the end -- this world deceives us always.

My Beloved Lord's Holy House is the Real and the True, my Lord Mowla Murtaza Ali Himself is the Truth, the Divine 'Noor'.

O my Lord, manifest thy 'Noorani Swarup' - (enlightened form), O my Lord fulfil thy 'kol' - promise and grace upon us thy Blessings."

O Kanifa, did you listen to The Holy Ginan with concentration?

Kanifa: O Guruji, can I ask you some questions that I have on my mind?

PHK: Yes do ask.

Kanifa: Who is the truly learned and knowledgeable?

PHK: My mind is the learned and knowledgeable.

Kanifa: Who is your Spiritual Master?

PHK: Shri Islam Shah , the Lord of the heavens and earth is my Supreme Lord.

Kanifa: What 'Janoi' (religious traditional robe of yarns ) do you wear?

PHK: My 'Janoi' is invisible.

Kanifa: What 'Dhoti' (sort of trousers) do you wear?

PHK: My 'Dhoti' is unmaterialistic and unknown to worldly people.

Kanifa: What is your Holy Word?

PHK: My Holy Word is eternal.

Kanifa: What religious book do you acknowledge?

PHK: My body is my book through which I gain knowledge and inspiration. O Kanifa, to preach to one's mind, by oneself, is the path to Heaven. Listen to another Ginan and keep it in your mind and heart, this is for your salvation.

This is the Ginan "Abdu Man Jite Man Ichha Fal Upaje".

ABDU MAN JEETE MAN ICHHA FAL UPAJE
PEER HASSAN KABEERDEEN

abdhu man jeete man ichhaa fal upaje, ane tan jeete uchhara(n)g;
hardo jeete aana(n)d upaje, is beed jog pacha(n)d abadhu..........1

O slave! when anyone conquers the mind (thought currents)
his mental desires are fulfilled OR attains the fruits of his desires
(without indulging in them); and by conquering the body(sense perceptions),
(spiritual) energy is available. When a person conquers both of them
(mind and body) completely, he attains (constant) joy,
this is indeed the state of maturity(ripeness) of worship.

Variant: If you control your mind you will achieve anything you desire, and if you can control your body you will be much delighted. If you have control over your heart you will experience great happiness. This is how to start with Yoga.

abdhu kaam krodh jab jeete jogee, sat paveetra tab hoi;
cheet jeete cha(n)daa hove neermalaa, neermal saadhu sohee abdhu..2

O slave! when a worshipper conquers his lust and anger, he then becomes truly holy.
When the consciousness(mind-stuff) is conquered, it becomes pure and shines like moon.
It is then that the aspirant(saadhu) becomes stainless.....

abdhu rasnaa puchha(n)ta ka(n)thnaa amrat, ane geenaan purash ku(n)
beenam;
aakaash raajaa dehen see(n)gaasann, to aad purash ku(n) beenam abdhu........................................3

O slave! by asking(seeking) for the speech (kanthnaa) of Divine nectar (nourishment),
using the tongue(rasnaa); and bowing to the the wise and knowledgable personality
(the True Guide), you will experience that your body is the throne of the King of Heavens
(aakaash raajaa); then your bowing to the first personality
(the Creator- Gur Bhramaa) has been fulfilled.

abdhu kaayaa kaamnee manchhaa devee, ane chaitan purush asathaanam;
karodh ahu(n)kaar kattak kaa raajaa, tees kaa surat neerat paradhaanam abdhu.................................4

O slave! (to most of us) the body is the woman(object of love and attachment)
and the desires of the mind the goddess (to be worshipped), while the soul (chaitan purush)
is enthroned on the seat(hence inactive and undesired). Anger and pride are the rulers
of the army, while the concentration(surat) and love(neerat) are the ministers.

abdhu naam paataal seer upar neermalaa, karam purush see(n)haasann eh;
jo jog jugat doe basat saa(n)heeyaa, to karannaa karannee kartap saaranam abdhu...................5

paataal - nether, lower basa(n)t - dwelling, exist
see(n)haasann - throne kartap - deeds
saaranam - essence, substance

O slave! (for such a person), the (holy)name is in the lower (undersurface)
of the head (is forgotten), and he becomes a prey to his karma.
If spirituality-rites and rituals(jog) and materialism-worldly duties (jugat)
are dwelled by the Lord, then all the actions performed will be of essence (meaningful).

abdhu aashaa maaro cheetaa jaaro, ane hu(n) khudhee karo rasoi.
aasann jeeto nee(n)ddhraa jeeto, keertaar kare so hoi abdhu..................................................6

jaaro - rebuke, banish khudhee - flattery, cunning
aasann - seat, posture(can be treated as a metaphor for comfort and complacency)

O slave! kill vain desires and hopes and banish all worries, and make a
roast of "I" ness or self flattery. Conquer the physical comforts and conquer
sleep(of ignorance) and then surrender yourself to the will of the Creator.

abdhu jo gur male to arath bataave, ane matte cheet kaa se(n)saa;
jal beenaa kamal na fulle, taaku(n) murakh jaanne ha(n)saa abdhu..7

O slave! if one meets a True Guide, He will explain the essence (hidden meaning)
of existence; and will destroy the doubts of your mind. No lotus flower can bloom
without water, in the same manner a fool (or ignoramus one) cannot know his/her
soul without a Guide(water of the soul).

abdhu gur male to parachhe saadhu, gur beenaa baatt na paave;
geenaan ma(n)ddal maa(n) jal bal deevo deeshe, so gur beenaa haath na aave abdhu...................8

parachhe - understand, test

O slave! an aspirant is brought to the understanding(of the inner mysteries
of the faith) when he/she meets the Guide, for without the Guide one
cannot attain the Path. The Lamp (of understanding) that can be seen
(experienced) at the gathering of knowledge (gnaan ma(n)ddal, jamaatkhaanaa),
cannot become available without a Guide.

abdhu rahenn a(n)dheree saathee veree, ane avghadd ghaatt gudhaaraa;
beena agu-e(aguru-e) keeyu maarg paave, taakee chee(n)taa karo saveraa abdhu..........................9

veree- time avghadd(tt?) - disorderly, another way
gudhaaraa - incomprehensible, secret ghaatt - shape
agu-e (agrennee) - leader, guide saveraa - good time, timely

O slave! dark nights become your companion, and your existence is disorderly
and incomprehensible (to your self). Without a Guide one cannot attain a path,
think about this in good time(before it is too late).

abdhu satgur paaras saadhu traa(m)baa, bhette to sovan hoi;
jyu jal mee(n)ne aap prakaashe, tyu maa(n)je darshan soi abdhu....................................................10

O slave! the True Guide is the philosopher's stone (paaras) and the aspirant
is copper(traa(m)baa), when copper comes into contact with the philosopher's
stone it changes into gold. Just as a pool of water shines with the reflection
of the Moon, in the same manner your mind (and heart) is enlightened
(shines with the Light of real faith and joy) upon receiveing the Spiritual Vision ('darshan').

abdhu neermal maddhee satgur kaa duvaaraa, ane dayo(deeyo) purush kaa vaasaa;
harde ku(m)bh pavan ghatt shodho, to alakh purush kee aashaa abdhu .........11

maddhee - hut, fine cottage ku(m)bh - water pot

O slave! the pure hut(body) is the residence of the True Guide,
and offer it to the abode of the Guide(in jamaat khaanaa).
With the water pot of the heart filled with the wind(waves) of love
seek within your being(body). Then aspire for the hope of meeting the
undescriptible person(the eternal entity, the soul).

abdhu sa(n)katt ghaatt a(n)dar las ghaattee, jyaa(n) sui maarag na paave;
tyaa vaahaanaa rath see(n)gaasann raajaa, taa(n)su neet utth aave jaave abdhu....................12
sa(n)katt - hard, difficult, narrow las - slippery
vaahaanaa - celestial rath - chariot

O slave! the path is narrow and difficult and there are many slippery pathways
(branching from it), there is no room even for a needle.
(On such a difficult destiny which is physically difficult to attain),
by mounting a celestial chariot(the True Guide) one can attain to
the throne of the King of heavens, and can indeed can go in and out constantly.

abdhu beerakh beenaa fule ful vaaddee, ane been mukh naad bajaave;
been rasanaa gunn gaave har kaa, so been pag aave jaave abdhu.........................................13

O slave! there you will see a garden of flowers without earth, and you will hear
singing without a mouth; praises of the Lord(har kaa) will be sung without anyone
reciting them, and you will experience movements in and out without any feet.
[These are all mystical experiences without the mediation of sense perceptions.]

abdhu harde betth chetan ba(n)dagee, raaval hay matvaalaa;
i(n)galaa pee(n)galaa sukhmannaa daasee, satgur kee esee baalee abdhu..............................14

harde - with heart or constantly chetan - life, vitality
raaval - aspirant matvaalaa - carefree, charming
daasee - servant, assistant baalee - woman

O slave! sitting in meditation heartily(or constantly), the aspirant becomes
drunk or divinely intoxicated. (this happens)Through the activity of inglaa,
pinglaa and sushmannaa force channels, such is the woman (an object of sensual joy
as an analogy for the spiritual experience) of the True Guide.

abdhu heer parchhe tyu tanku(n) shodho, ane kahyaa gurukaa keeje;
beebaa beejaa maarg jove, tyu ha(n)saa gavan kareeje abdhu..................................................15

heer - silken clothes parchhe - understand,test
beebaa - types; to compose, to mould gavan - sexual intercourse

O slave! as the silken clothes are evaluated and tested(for their quality), in the same
manner evaluate the quality of your soul; and act according to the guidance of the Guide.
As the other kinds(the ones without the Guide) see their path (of marriage),
in the same manner have intercouse(union with the beloved through ibaadaat) for the soul

abdhu ha(n)s purush jab sanmukh aave, tab kaayaa neermal hoi;
karo dhyaan bhea(n)g bhabhutaa, to madhsudan paave koi....................................................16

bhea(n)g - incorporeal, spiritual
bhabhutaa - ashes

O slave! when Hans Purush (an enlightened person or the True Guide)
comes face to face with you, i.e. when you get embraced or enlightened by Him,
your body becomes pure. Then meditate without the awareness of the body
(regard it as ashes, dead), and you will attain the seat of great consciousness (madhsudan).

abdhu naad ba(n)dh doy bhachhanam gurke, ane chee(n)t sat doy saathee;
navsaa parchho khel gurusu, geenaan dhyaan doy haathee abdhu.............................................17

bhachhanam - promise ba(n)dh - prison bondage
naad - sound, music navsaa - bridegroom

O slave! when music and songs are promised to (engrossed in) the Guide,
and the consciousness and truth are companions of each other(are one);
you will realise that He is the bridegroom and you will be playing games with
the Guide, your knowledge and wisdom(genaans), as well as the concentration
(upon the truth) will expand(knowledge and truth becomes one ultimately).

abdhu jaage so jo rasame paake, ane soyaa teene ras khoyaa;
so-e pa(n)th na katte gusaa(n)iyaa(n), murakh chahaave soyaa abdhu.....................................18

O slave! the one who remains awake(is aware of the purpose), matures
enjoying the Divine nector, and the one who is asleep (in ignorance) loses these delights.
By sleeping(in ignorance) one cannot have a short cut to the Lord
(gu - darkness saa(n)iyaa - Lord, the remover of). But a fool prefers his state of sleep.

abdhu ghatt maa(n)he reedh seedh hay, ane ghatt maa(n)he anhad chaalaa;
ghatt maa(n)he bhaag lagaayaa baabu, ghattmaa(n)he see(n)chann
haaraa abdhu....................................................................................................................19

O slave! the real prosperity and success is in the heart,
and there are unlimited movements in the heart. In the heart is the garden of fortune,
brother, and in the heart is the waterer(of mercy).

abdhu ghattmaa(n)he navkha(n)d peerodhamee, ane ghattmaa(n)he hay kevalaasaa;
ghattmaa(n)he saat samuddhra kaa vaasaa, gur beenaa jaay peeyaasaa abdhu.........................20

kevalaas - one of the peaks of the Himalayas

O slave! in the heart is the expanse of the earth with nine continents, and in the heart
is one of the peaks of the Himalays(the entire creation encompassing the horizontal and
vertical limits is in the heart). The heart is the place of the seven seas(of mercy),
but without the Guide one goes thirsty(the Guide opens the doors to the seven oceans(heavens)).

abdhu gur vachane ghatt shodhan kareeje, to gurnar darshan paayaa;
kahe peer hassan kabeerdeen sunno gateeyu lokaa, tene aavaagamann chhoddaayaa abdhu.......21

O slave! conduct the search for the truth through the command of the Guide,
then you will have the Vision of the Imaam and the Peer.
Says Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen, listen you members of the jamaat about those
who have been freed from the cycles of rebirth by us through the experience alluded above.

Then he goes on with another Ginan "Abdu Jugat Jol Santosh".

ABADHU JUGAT JOL SA(N)TOSH PAATRA KARO- BY PEER SHAMS
abadhu jugat jhol sa(n)tosh paatra karo
ane dda(n)ddaa karo beechaar(veechaar)
khameeyaa dayaakee doy mu(n)ddhr pahero
geenaan karjo aahaar
abadhu te jogee jugamaa(n)he, jaako man dujaare naa(n)hee
abadhu te jogee jugamaa(n)he...............................1

jugat - skill, technique, way jhol - bag
dda(n)ddaa - (stirring) stick

O slave! (Instead of begging on the streets for alms like other Yogis)Make the way your bag, contentment your vessel, and let the thought process and reflection be the stirring stick. Wear the two earings of patience and mercy. Let the 'geenaans' be your food.

O slave! The sage in this world is the one, whose heart is free from matters other(than faith and religion). That sage is a master in the world.

abadhu gur meraa geenaan veraagakee i(n)ddree
ane sa(n)gam karo bhabhutaa
saach dharam saach karee dheeyaavo
to jogee hay abadhutaa abadhu te jogee.....................2
veraag - ascetism sa(n)gam - meeting,union
bhabhutaa - clay, ash abadhutaa - carefree dervish, master

O slave! My Guide bestows knowledge and the perception of renunciation, so make his company your ashes. Meditate truly upon the True Faith, for thus does a sage become a master.

abadhu cha(n)do suraj doy rokee raakho
ane man chee(n)t dharo is dda(n)ddee
sukhamannaa ta(n)tee vaajann laagee
e bhed keesej kha(n)ddee abadhu te jogee...................3
ta(n)tee - thread (nerve) vaajann - sound of music
kha(n)ddee - realise

O slave! Retain the sun and the moon(Imaam and the Peer) in your hearts and consciousness, keep such a stick(thoughts) always. Then the force (nerve) channel sukhmannaa will begin to vibrate after being activated and hence will produce a musical sound. Very few are aware of the mysteries of such a phenomenon.

abadhu sab avagunn tajo treevennee nahaavo
ane anhad naad bajaa-o .
kahe peer shamsh jeeva(n)t mareeye
to avarth janam na paao....................................4
treevennee - the region joining the inglaa, pinglaa and sukhmannaa force channels at the fore head between the two eye brows.
nahaavo -

O slave! shun all the misdeeds and focus your concentration on the region joining the ingla pinglaa and sukhmannaa force channels. Then you will initiate, play or hear celestial sounds. Peer Shamsh says that if one dies while still alive, he will not have to take up further births.

Kanifa was very engrossed and enlightened by the words of Ginan from our Holy Pir Hassan Kabirdin. He told the Pir "O Guruji, because of your love and kind affection I have been highly rewarded with 'Mukti Pad' (state of freedom ). I am sincerely most grateful to Nath Jalandar who kindly inspired me to approach you."
"O Guruji, you have directed me towards 'Sat Panth'.I respect you most highly".
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Ya Ali Madad
Thanks for sharing such nice article. Can you explain this verse of above mentioned Ginan :My Lord extracted fourteen precious items from the ocean, churning the ocean with the Mountain Meru. The python “sheshnaag” was used by the Lord as twine for churning. While the process of churning was taking place, the earth began to sink into the “paataal” (undersurface). Because of this, angels in the heavens prayed to my Lord and my Beloved Lord incarnated as “Korabh Avtaar” and supported Mountain Meru, and stopped it from sinking. My Lord had to bear so much pain at the time. As soon as the fourteen precious items were removed, my Lord ended the “Korabh Avataar”. Kanifa, I was present there with my Lord and I rendered before the Lord my most humble services. Since then onwards, I have continued my services to my Lord.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

YAM,

You are welcome! This is how I interprete it.

I know it sounds incredible. However, God being God anything is possible! In this particular situation he used the instrumentality of a gigantic python to move the mountain so as to churn the ocean to recover the precious items (or lost values). Due to the movement the mountain began to sink. The momins of the time used to live on the mountain. Hence, inorder to save the momins the Lord incarnated as a tortoise to save the mountain from sinking.

I hope it clarifies. Perhaps someone else might have a better interpretation.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The following is an article written by late Alwaez Shamshuddin Bandali Haji in his book "Noor-en-Allah-Noor" which I feel is relevant to this topic. I have reproduced the entire article except for my comments on the Piratan of the Pir.

Holy Pir Hassan Kabirdin

Our holy Pir Hassan Kabirdin was born in Utch village of Bhawalpul, Punjab on Thursday, 22nd Shaban 742 AH. He was a great philosopher, he was very gentle and affable in his manners, and most inspiring in his preachings. Pir Hassan Kabirdin's Ginan-e-Shariff show clearly how profound and devoted was his love for the Imam of the time, Mowlana Shah Islam Shah (A.S), and how great was his devotion to our Satpanth Ismailism. From a very young age, Pir Hassan Kabirdin's father Pir Sadardin gave him exercise in the practice of Ibadat.

Because of Pir Hassan Kabirdin's Ibadat, he could perform miracles. One of the miracles is related here. Upon seeing a group of Hindu pilgrims from Bhawalpur departing for their ritual bath in the Ganga (Ganges), Pir Saheb told them that instead of their going to the holy water, he could bring it to them. And so the miracle happened. The pilgrims saw the waters of Ganga advance towards them, and they bathed in them, after which hundreds of them were converted to Satpanth Religion by Pir Hassan Kabirdin.

Pir Hassan Kabirdin once brought back to life a Balotch at Multan. Sultan Mahomed who governed Multan at that time, anxious to hear the inspiring sermons of Pir Hassan Kabirdin, often paid him a visit and on his death was buried at Utch Shariff according to his wish.

When Pir Hassan Kabirdin's father, Pir Sadardin, left for Persia to receive the Holy Didar of Mowlana Shah Islam Shah, leaving Pir Hassan Kabirdin behind because of his young age, Pir Hassan Kabirdin suffered from his desire to pay a personal homage to Imam Mowlana Shri Islam Shah. Incapable of resisting this desire for long, Pir Hassan Kabirdin took some cotton and wove it into a long band of material. He made a turban along the length of which he inscribed the verses of the Ginan "Anant Akhado/Nav Chhuga", dedicated to Mowlana Shri Islam Shah in moving terms. All this took Pir Hassan Kabirdin six months and six days. This period coinciding with the time during which a wall of iron was erected on the path of his father Pir Sadardin. Taking the turban, Pir Hassan Kabirdin left for Persia to pay homage to Mowlana Shri Islam Shah. On his arrival in Persia, he had the unexpected honour of having a Holy Audience with Imam Shri Islam Shah at Kaheq village in the north of Isphan, not very far from the actual Mahallat. He found our Beloved Imam Shri Islam Shah seated bareheaded on His "Takht" or Holy Throne of Imamat. Humbly, with his heart filled with fear and veneration, he entered in the Presence of Imam Shri Islam Shah, performed Baiyat or Act of Allegience, and with respect placed the turban at the Holy feet of Imam-e-Zaman. Imam Shri Islam Shah with His immense Grace deigned to lift it up with His own hands and placed it on His head. After a short while, Imam Shri Islam Shah removed the turban and placed it on the head of Pir Hassan Kabirdin as a symbol of his "Piratan". Pir Hassan Kabirdin described this event as one of the most memorable ones:

Shah IslamShah Takhtej bethaa,
Tare din hua rahemanji;
Sirbandh lai gurne mustak didha,
Tare sir naga kari narji bethaa -- Hari anant...

The Lord, Shri Islam Shah was seated on His throne,
Then the grace descended on me;
And taking the turban, the Lord placed it on my head,
And then he sat bareheaded.

It was in this way, during the sacred Holy Didar of Mowla Ali, Mowla Shri Islam Shah the title of "PIR" was given to Pir Hassan Kabirdin mabaap. [ Pir Hassan Kabirdin was appointed Pir after the death of his father Pir Sadardin. In my opinion in the above mentioned event he was bestowed the authority for the salvation of the countless "Ruhanis" in tradition the title would be "Anant jo var" and not Pir - KM]

Pir Hassan Kabirdin returned to India and began his missionary work in his official capacity as Pir and effected conversions with the greatest of success. Some people out of jealousy tried to hinder his work. They threw stones at him and planned to take his life.

However, when Pir Hassan Kabirdin happened to come face to face with them, a sudden change took place in them as though by a miracle. They found themselves overcome with affection for him; their enmity evaporated in the air and they even came to submit to him completely. Such was the influence attributed to Pir Hassan Kabirdin, the Lord. Hardly had his look rested upon a Hindu before the latter was converted to Satpanth or Ismailism.

One day, a man came to the Pir to tell him, "You are completely exhausted by your journey. Your feet are covered with blisters from the necessity of walking on the burning sand, and your skin is cracked from the rigours of the cold. Do you not resent all this in your heart?" Pir Hassan Kabirdin replied, "With the Grace of Hazar Imam, I have lost all notion of my physical existence, my body is like a corpse and as such, no distress is able to afflict my heart."

Another time, someone asked Pir Hassan Kabirdin what "Patience" meant, to which Pir replied, "If one were to amputate all your limbs, if all sorts of afflictions were to fall on you, if ants were to devour each root of your hair, and if for all this you did not utter one complaint, then truly, that would be patience."

Having accumulated the knowledge of several languages and local dialects in view of his work, Pir Hassan Kabirdin composed numerous Ginans full of fervour and rich in thought which would spiritualize all of us if only one would put them to practise. In Pir Hassan Kabirdin Mabaap's Holy Ginans he places particular emphasis on the essential principle of Love and Devotion to the Imam-e-Zaman and of "Taslim" or complete and perfect obedience to the "Noor-en-Allah-Noor" Hazer Imam in the temporal and spiritual domains. These two exercises which are incumbent upon all the believers, determine the "Iman" or "Faith" as opposed to the general acceptance of the word "Islam". For "Islam" is "Al-Iqrar" or profession of faith whereas "Iman" is the confession with knowledge "Al-Marifa" of the "Noor-en-Allah-Noor." Indeed, all this is equally true of all the Ginan -e-Shariff of Holy Pir Shamsh and Pir Sadardin.

Pir Hassan Kabirdin died in the year 853 AH at Outch Shariff, the place of his birth, where one finds his mausoleum. His brother Pir Tajdin, known by the Khoja's of Sind under the name of Shah "Turel", continued the work of Pir.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

star_munir wrote:Ya Ali Madad
Thanks for sharing such nice article. Can you explain this verse of above mentioned Ginan :My Lord extracted fourteen precious items from the ocean, churning the ocean with the Mountain Meru. The python “sheshnaag” was used by the Lord as twine for churning. While the process of churning was taking place, the earth began to sink into the “paataal” (undersurface). Because of this, angels in the heavens prayed to my Lord and my Beloved Lord incarnated as “Korabh Avtaar” and supported Mountain Meru, and stopped it from sinking. My Lord had to bear so much pain at the time. As soon as the fourteen precious items were removed, my Lord ended the “Korabh Avataar”. Kanifa, I was present there with my Lord and I rendered before the Lord my most humble services. Since then onwards, I have continued my services to my Lord.
Here is another version from mythology which is not very different in substance than what is mentioned by Pir Hassan Kabeerdeen.

The Story of KURMA Avatar

In KURMA Avatar, Lord Vishnu incarnates himself as a tortoise. It is an interesting story involving both the gods (Devtas) and asuras (demons). In the ongoing saga of battle between the gods and asuras, on one occasion the gods suddenly lost all their strength due to a curse by the short-tempered sage Durvasa. The sage had once presented a garland of flowers to Indra,king of gods, who carelessly gave it away to his elephant which trampled it.

The Devtas approached Vishnu for help. Vishnu then asked them to churn the ocean of milk after adding medicines into the ocean. Mt Mandara could be used a the churning stick he said. He requested them to ask them help of Asuras in lifting the mountain in exchange for offer of the share of nectar of immortality that would ensue from the churning. Both the devatas and the asuras churned the ocean using the serpent Vasuki as the rope. At the start, playing a Machiavellian trick, Indra, king of the gods asked the asuras for the head end of vasuki. But asuras suspecting foul play, took the head end, only to be deceived as the poison from Vasuki was slowly weakening them. But as churning was proceeding the mountain was sinking and then Lord Vishnu took the form of the tortoise KURMA and kept the mountain afloat. As soon as the bowl of amrita, the nectar of immortality was out, the asuras grabbed it. Then Lord Vishnu took the form of an apsara, a beautiful maiden, and seduced the asuras into letting her distribute the nectar and also to abide by her order of distribution. As soon as the devatas were served the maiden disappeared thus totally deceiving the asuras and making them totally weak.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

star_munir wrote:Ya Ali Madad
There is an artistic rendering of the event showing all the principle characters viz, the Mountain Meru supported by Korbha Avtaar, tied to the python "sheshnaag" and surrounded by all the precious recovered items. This can be accessed at:

http://www.exoticindia.com/artimages/dd81.jpg
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Akberhuda

Re: Pirhasan kabirdin & Kanifa jogee

Post by Akberhuda »

Dear Kmaherali,<BR>I read this article which is very informative and interesting. I also read Vistol and other granths which u posted and i really appreciate ur efforts. Tell me do u have or work o&shy;n other granths&nbsp;- i mean Girbhavali, Jhankar,, Mansamjhani, Surat samachar, Momin Satveni etc.<BR>If u have then please posted. thanks&nbsp;akber&nbsp;
kmaherali

Re: Pirhasan kabirdin & Kanifa jogee

Post by kmaherali »

Akberhuda wrote:Dear Kmaherali,<BR>I read this article which is very informative and interesting. I also read Vistol and other granths which u posted and i really appreciate ur efforts. Tell me do u have or work o&shy;n other granths&nbsp;- i mean Girbhavali, Jhankar,, Mansamjhani, Surat samachar, Momin Satveni etc.<BR>If u have then please posted. thanks&nbsp;akber&nbsp;
Thank you for your kind words! I do not have anything ready besides what has already been posted. Inshallah we will have them all in future.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is a article related to this thread:

Conversation between Guru Hasan Kabirruddin and Jogi Kanipha: Tantra Revisited by the Ismaili Preachers

by

Dominique-Sila Khan

In the book: Tantra in Practice edited by David Gordon White
agakhani_1

Post by agakhani_1 »

"Pir Hasan Kabirdin Ane Kanipa Jogi No Samvad"
This ginan still avialable and circulating among Ginan lovers.
Aakash

Re:

Post by Aakash »

Here is another version from mythology which is not very different in substance than what is mentioned by Pir Hassan Kabeerdeen.

The Story of KURMA Avatar

In KURMA Avatar, Lord Vishnu incarnates himself as a tortoise. It is an interesting story involving both the gods (Devtas) and asuras (demons). In the ongoing saga of battle between the gods and asuras, on one occasion the gods suddenly lost all their strength due to a curse by the short-tempered sage Durvasa. The sage had once presented a garland of flowers to Indra,king of gods, who carelessly gave it away to his elephant which trampled it.

The Devtas approached Vishnu for help. Vishnu then asked them to churn the ocean of milk after adding medicines into the ocean. Mt Mandara could be used a the churning stick he said. He requested them to ask them help of Asuras in lifting the mountain in exchange for offer of the share of nectar of immortality that would ensue from the churning. Both the devatas and the asuras churned the ocean using the serpent Vasuki as the rope. At the start, playing a Machiavellian trick, Indra, king of the gods asked the asuras for the head end of vasuki. But asuras suspecting foul play, took the head end, only to be deceived as the poison from Vasuki was slowly weakening them. But as churning was proceeding the mountain was sinking and then Lord Vishnu took the form of the tortoise KURMA and kept the mountain afloat. As soon as the bowl of amrita, the nectar of immortality was out, the asuras grabbed it. Then Lord Vishnu took the form of an apsara, a beautiful maiden, and seduced the asuras into letting her distribute the nectar and also to abide by her order of distribution. As soon as the devatas were served the maiden disappeared thus totally deceiving the asuras and making them totally weak.
Ya Ali Madad, K MAHERALI
wonderfully explained, many thanks.
Can you please let me know it is taken from which ginan of Pir Hassan Kanirddin? (I am Ismaili from UK London Darkhana)

I was reading the “PHK and K'Jogi no Samvaad”(from the book that I got) and then I start searching on the web for any further details and I found this page that was really impressive so I am extremely thankful to you.
My parents left me with many Granth and Asal Dua book that I read sometime and I am really interested.
Kindly reply
Aakash

Re: GUR HASSAN KABIRDEEN NE KANIFA JOGEE NO SAMAVAAD - DISCOURSE

Post by Aakash »

kmaherali wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:08 am
PHK: My Lord most graciously, to help the momins of each of the eras, incarnated in Avtaars. Particularly since the time of 'momin bhagat' - pious devotee Ambrish. My Lord took the 'Avtaars:

Two of Jalchar, i.e., in water,
Two of Vanchar, i.e., in jungle
Two of Vipra, i.e., of traders
Two of Rajvansh, i.e., of rulers,
Two of Malechh i.e., of Muslim (Post Adam).

Kanifa: What were the lengths of each of the Yugas?

PHK: During Karta Yuga -- 1,728,000 years, there were four Avtaars - 'Machha', 'Korabh', 'Varah' and 'Narsinh'.
During Treta Yuga -- 1,296,000 years, there were three Avtaars - 'Vaman', 'Farsiram', and 'Ramchandra'.
During Dwapur Yuga -- 864,000 years, there were two Avtaars - 'Karsan' and 'Budh'.
and in KaliYuga -- 432,000 years there was one Avtaar - Shri Naklanki Dev.
I have been present during all the four Yugas.

(There is another theory that the above mentioned time periods could be days giving 4800, 3600, 2400 and 1200 years respectively. In my opinion this looks more plausible)
Many thanks for explaining the above time period.
I wanted to know is there any where written that “Chaar laakh ne batris shestre” are years or days or months or any other time period is mention. Because everywhere I read on different Granth or ginan it always says “Chaar laakh ne batris shestre” but years are not mention. In Hindu metrology it is mention as a years of yugas.
Kindly give me some light on it please
ismaili103

Re: GUR HASSAN KABIRDEEN NE KANIFA JOGEE NO SAMAVAAD - DISCOURSE

Post by ismaili103 »

These are indeed years. A total of 4.32 million years for 4 jugs.

According to science, first Homo (Homo Habilis) appeared on earth some 2.6 million years ago.

Vaman Avatar was the first Homo. Based on above calculations by Pirs, Vaman Avatar appeared 2.592 million i.e. 2.6 million years ago on Earth.