Suicide

Discussion on doctrinal issues
star_munir

Suicide

Post by star_munir »

It is considered among worst sin. Is it true that if some one commits suicide muslims dont recite their Namaz-e-Janaza.
Also what happens to the soul of a person after death who commit suicide as per Ismaili point of view..I would like to know all your opinion on this issue..
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Is it proper to attend funeral and to pray for one who did suicide if he/she is
a) Ismaili
b) Non Ismaili Muslim
c) Non muslim

Post by 777 »

Yam,

Suicide is a big sin in ismailism..but not the biggest.

What happens to the soul? Good question,
Here is an exract of farman that explains the cycle of the human soul.

Farman Mubarak of Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah
Dar-es-Salam, September 29th, 1899

Mowlana Rûmi said: “I was a stone, from there I was made a tree, from that I was transformed and made an ant; after that, I reached the stage of an animal. I ceased to be an animal to reach the status of monkey. From that, I became a human being. From human being, what shall I become? I shall become an angel. From there where shall I go? I shall rise even higher.”

"Even higher" is obviously Asal makan for us ismailis. You can guess about the soul of that person who commits suicide.

Yam
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Simple and a straight Answer by this Example
lets Consider, this world is a school, lets cosider there are total 7 classes and after class 7th u will get the degree and will achieve ur aim.
the soul go thru all the class/stages if failed in any class just like in school the child has to repeat that class again just like the soul, if failed in any particular class/stage soul has to come down in earth again and again and again until the soul will pass the class 7th ..
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Mowla Ali Madad and Thanks for the answers. Many people generally avoid funeral ceremonies of the one who commit suicide..In your opinion is it right to pray for the soul of Ismaili or Non Ismaili person who gets die because of Suicide.
sheri

Post by sheri »

I think not attending funerals of people who committed suicide was more to frighten people from committing suicide to make people feel that it is really bad. Personally, if I knew someone who committed suicide I would attend his/her funeral. I don't see anything wrong in attending the funeral!
t4tak3lo

Post by t4tak3lo »

I think that we should go to the funeral regardless of whether the person has committed suicide. It is not our place to judge him, only Allah can do that.

Some people feel that if someone has committed suicide then the final ceremonies (ie. Madhan jo Chanta) shouldn't be done on them. But what if it was not a suicide, but just looked like a suicide?

Then by not performing the chanta, it is you that has sinned. However, if the chanta was done, and the person actually did commit suicide, remember that Allah does not have to accept the chanta if he does not wish to. Either way we should still perform the chanta and the last rites, and leave it to Allah to judge.
karimqazi

Suicide

Post by karimqazi »

YAM to All,

Suicide is haram (sin) in Islam.
Now I want to ask, how many people drink alcohol, which is aslo haram (sin). What about stealing, adultry, rape, and murder are all haram (sin). Now I want to ask are you attending the funeral of a thief, rapist, adulterer, and murderer? These are all sinful people, so why is suicide the target? Leave this to God and do what you have to do. Also, remember that we cannot say what is the biggest sin, we have to leave that up to God and his judgement.

May Mowla Bless You ALL
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thank you all very much for your views. I agree with your replies.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Some people say that if some one commit suicide then his/her soul not get salvation and remain in this world till his/her life period fixed by God not gets complete. Is that so?

Also for example I got to know about a hindu girl who commited suicide. Two days earlier to that tarot reader told her that she has short life from which she got upset..
So if it is in fate of some one that he and she will die because of suicide then what you think of it? Can some one change his or her fate...Some time people get die in painful manner while some people die smiling so which type of death one will get, does it depends on his deeds and actions or what?
GMR

Suicide

Post by GMR »

Let us try to discuss it in the light of Quranic ayas and guidance. Allah (swt) says: [La tulqoo bi aidikum ilettahluka] Urdu tarjuma: apnay hathhoon say apnay a'p ko halakat mein mat dalo.<BR><BR>La taqnatoo mir rahmatillah. Tarjuma: Allah ki rahmat say na ummeed mat ho jao.<BR><BR>From the above Ayas, it clearly revealed that someone who commits suicide, is violating the rules and regulations of God set for the human-beings. And he/she has no firm belief in God. It is indeed a fact that as human-beings, we have to face difficulties and tribulations o&shy;n this planet. But it does not mean that we, instead of facing and overcoming the tribulations, we commit suicide. Yes, if someone is mad [pagal] and commits suicide, which is beyond his/her control, his fate is up to Allah to decide for forgiveness and salvation. So my suggestion to all would be to stand-up, remember God from the depths of your heart and seek help from Him in the days of difficulties and tribulations. Try to keep a balance between deen and dunya. Insha Allah we would be able to overcome o&shy;n the difficulties.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I think it would be pertinent to quote Paramahansa Yogananda's commentary on the betrayal of Judas and his subsequent suicide in his book "The Second Coming of Christ".

"Neither Christ nor Satan can influence an individual unless he chooses to be influenced. Judas, through his vastly accumulated evil of past lives and insufficient spiritual effort in this life, was impervious to the holy influence of Jesus. But later Judas did repent of his evil karma and in devastating remorse hanged himself. (Mathew 27:5)

(It must not be inferred that the hanging helped Judas to be free from the heinous sin of betraying Jesus, but his self-destruction was evidence of his repentence. Suicide is a very serious spiritual crime. Judas would have done much better had he chosen to live and confirm his repentance in a life of reparation, spiritually expiating his sin by transmuting the evil in his consciousness through redemptory acts of righteousness and devout meditation. Weak-minded people who want to commit suicide are foolishly hoping to get away from manfully shouldering the burden of life through which they free themselves from their bad karma. Suicide only increases the karmic burden instead of banishing it. A troubled person, by meditation and prayer, should patiently work at neutralizing his evil karma by spiritualizing the inner self with soul awakening and God's grace.)

Because of his betrayal of Jesus, Judas had to roam through numerous incarnations to gain salvation. It was only after twenty centuries that Judas was redeemed in India, through one of the great saints pf modern times. Jesus appeared to the saint and sanctioned Juda's release, saying, "His sin is paid for.""
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thank you Karim and GMR.
Like in my previous post I wrote about a hindu girl who few days before her death went to card reader along with friends who told that her life is very short and after dew days she commited suicide so if it is in fate of some one that he or she will die because of Suicide then..? Is it possible for a person to change his or her fate or it is not possible for some one to change fate...
Irfan_Kadiwal

Re: Suicide

Post by Irfan_Kadiwal »

karimqazi wrote:YAM to All,

Suicide is haram (sin) in Islam.
Now I want to ask, how many people drink alcohol, which is aslo haram (sin). What about stealing, adultry, rape, and murder are all haram (sin). Now I want to ask are you attending the funeral of a thief, rapist, adulterer, and murderer? These are all sinful people, so why is suicide the target? Leave this to God and do what you have to do. Also, remember that we cannot say what is the biggest sin, we have to leave that up to God and his judgement.

May Mowla Bless You ALL

Hi dude,

There is definately something like biggest SIN.
The biggest SIN is to compare ALLAH with someone or something.

'wa-lam yakulahu kufuvan ahad'
'ane-tena saman bijo koiaj nathi'
'No one is like him'

There are 9 SINS stated by Mowlana Sultan Mohamad Shah which are Unforgiveable no matter what you do ..
1. Committing SUICIDE.
2. Rape.
3. Hurting your parents.
4. Eating away the money of a Widow.
5. Hurting a MOMIN.

...there are four more.

Even DASHOND if mistaken is forgiven by CHATTA but these SINS cannot be forgiven ..
THIS is what i heared in AL WAEZ ABU ALI's WAEZ.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thanks Irfan. The Farman about which you had written is that from KIM?
mariahussain

suicide

Post by mariahussain »

yah ali madad,

Since the topic is about suicide I woud like to get some point of

view about it . Do you believe anyone, who is thinking about commiting sucide is a healthy person, or he/ she is suffuring of some kind of psychological problems. It is so sad, some people think commiting suicide is the last thing to get over of his/her wordly problems.
What woud you do if someone tells you, that she is going to commit suicide.
write your point of view and suggestoins regards this.
And thank you in advance.
nashvelshi

Post by nashvelshi »

If you live in Ontario and are aware that an acquaintance is threatening suicide and are unable to convince them otherwise, you are legally obliged to try to prevent it by calling 911 and having the person taken to a hospital against their will to be assessed and treated by a crisis team. Every hospital has such a crisis team. Usually it is a depression or psychotic disorder that precipitates such feelings but it can also be an acute life crisis such as death of a close family member or friend, divorce, job loss, terminal illness, etc, that can cause these feelings.

I am sure other Canadian provinces have the same policy. I do not know about other parts of the world but likely it is the same there also.

The hospital crisis team will administer medication as needed and keep the person under suicide watch for a few days until they are convinced these feelings have passed. They will ensure that family of the ill person are involved and they will recommend outpatient psychological or psychiatric treament on an ongoing short or long term basis.

It should be said that if a person is determined to commit suicide no matter what, they will usually eventually succeed and there is not much that anyone can do about it.
nashvelshi

Post by nashvelshi »

When a person is in a suicidal state of mind, it is clear that they are unable to think in their usual rational way at that time. That is why if you cannot persuade them against suicide, the law allows police and paramedics to detain such a person and transport them to a hospital, even if it is against their will. But the law only allows such detention until the immediate suicidal thoughts have passed. The law does not allow one to force a person to take necessary medication on an ongoing basis.
This is where the law is weak, in my opinion. Patient rights groups have succeeded in preventing forced necessary treatments of mentally ill patients on an ongoing, long-term basis.

Consequently, the streets of Toronto are filled with mentally ill people walking about, untreated. Some of them continue to become suicidal and many succeed in their attempts. Those who do not threaten to harm themselves or another person just walk around aimlessly despite the best efforts of family, friends, social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists to get them into much-needed treatment. In order to reach such unfortunate people, the law will have to be changed and be made stricter.

To have a close relative or friend walk about in this kind of suspended animation is 10 times worse than having cancer, in my opinion.
sheri

Post by sheri »

"US soldier suicides climb in 2005: army WASHINGTON, April 21, 2006 (AFP) The US Army said 83 soldiers committed suicide last year, more than a quarter of them while deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan.Ten soldiers took their own life in the first three months of this year, the army said. Of last year's suicides, 25 were by soldiers deployed for operations in Iraq or Afghanistan. "We are keenly aware of the stresses facing our soldiers both on deployment and at home station," the army said in a statement.In 2004, 67 soldiers on active duty committed suicide, 14 of them while deployed on operations in Iraq or Afghanistan.(Posted @ 09:52 PST)"
nashvelshi

Post by nashvelshi »

I saw that article in todays Toronto Star. Its a shame but some people who sign up to join the army do not realise until later that it is not for them and they should not have joined in the first place. Its got to be a pretty wrenching position to be in, ie, constantly being prepared to kill someone while at the same time being prepared to be maimed or killed oneself. Not ever having to be in that position myself, I can never know how it really feels.
I am aware, however, of Ismailis who have joined an army and killed people and have been killed themselves. In the 1960s and early 1970s, some relatives of mine who lived in Mozambique in Africa were compelled to join the army against the Frelimo guerillas fighting for independence. Some of them killed people, others were themselves killed. One of them even fell into a river in northern Mozambique and was eaten by a crocodile!
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

What do you think about jauher?
nashvelshi

Post by nashvelshi »

I don't understand the question.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

In olden times in India, some times a girl commit suicide to save her prestige like wife of Prithviraj i.e, Saniyugita, Roopmati etc
This was common practise among Rajput women and it was called as jauher.
nashvelshi

Post by nashvelshi »

Thanks.
I don't hink I can comment on that as I am not too familiar with that cultural practice. I have heard about 'satee', the practice whereby a widow would burn herself afetr the death of her husband. Last I heard the Indian government has been trying to stop the practice.
irfana

Post by irfana »

can someone post all the sins that are unforgivenable I have been searching for them, I heard one of abu ali's waez wich mentioned about it but did not give the detail or say anything about what are those
Saima

Post by Saima »

irfana wrote:can someone post all the sins that are unforgivenable I have been searching for them, I heard one of abu ali's waez wich mentioned about it but did not give the detail or say anything about what are those
I am also searching for them and so far my list is as follows:

1. Suicide
2. Disrespecting one's parents
3. Backbiting
4. Accusing someone
5. Abortion

This list has been compiled from two places: other threads on this forum and/or waezes. I would like someone to either complete this list or correct me.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

Saima wrote:
irfana wrote:can someone post all the sins that are unforgivenable I have been searching for them, I heard one of abu ali's waez wich mentioned about it but did not give the detail or say anything about what are those
I am also searching for them and so far my list is as follows:

1. Suicide
2. Disrespecting one's parents
3. Backbiting
4. Accusing someone
5. Abortion

This list has been compiled from two places: other threads on this forum and/or waezes. I would like someone to either complete this list or correct me.
Add Rape,
disrespect of one's guru
breaking baiyat to the Imam of the Time.
Saima

Post by Saima »

I have also heard that if someone commits suicide, you are not supposed to bury him/her in the same cemetry as other Ismailis. Please shed some light on this whether or not this is correct.
GMR

Post by GMR »

There are two types of committing suicides: One is due to psychological problem, which is beyond the control of human-beings, and it is up to God to decide about his/her fate. The second is intentionally committing suicide, which is not justified by our faith. The problem of burying the dead of suicidal in a muslim or ismaili cemetery is another issue. I think segregating the deadbody from burying into a cemetery is another sin for the remaining human-beings of the area. We (the human-beings) must not try to become judgemental. We must bury the dead into a cemetery and let the God to decide about the fate of the departed soul. Our Holy Prophet (PBUH) has ordered to bury even hypocrite (munafiq) into a cemetery. However, committing suicide intentionally is not justified accoring to Holy Quran. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another) Surely, Allah is most merciful to you (Sura An-Nisa 4:29.
hussainkhan55

10 unforgivable sins

Post by hussainkhan55 »

1. To accuse someone wrongly<BR>2. To hurt parent<BR>3. Suicide<BR>4. illegitimate sex.<BR>5. Rape<BR>6. Unjustifiably defaming someone.<BR>7. Murder i.e to take someones life.<BR>8&nbsp; To hurt a Momin.<BR><BR>There are 2 others which I have forgot.<BR><BR>Also, a person who commits suicide remains in this world for 125 years. <BR>I am not so sure about that. Perhaps I heard it from Abu Alys waez.<BR>