Institute of Ismaili Studies

Share small ismaili stories
mh

Institute of Ismaili Studies

Post by mh »

YAM,

Honestly, I had no idea where to post this post, so if this isnt the appropiate section, could somebody please tell me where and ill post this there as soon as possible, thank you in advance.

I am 15 years old and am seriously thinking of applying to the Institute of Ismaili Studies after my bachelors. I know I might be a little young right now to think about that, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what books I should read or what courses I should consider taking in high school and/or university.

I found reading lists on the IIS website, unfortunately, the library in my town doesn't have those books. Does anyone have any other "prep" suggestions? Also, has anyone here studied in the Institute of Ismaili Studies and can tell me about their experience there? Thank you very much.
_thaillestlunatic_

Post by _thaillestlunatic_ »

Ya Ali Madat

Private message me and we can talk more about this in private.
mh

Post by mh »

YAM,

unfortunetely, pm has apparantly been disabled on this board. You can contact me by email

Thank You
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The first requirement for someone to get into knowledge and wisdom is to acquire the taste for it. It should be something that you desire and not something that is thrust upon you.

At your age, I think the first task is to create the quest for knowledge. That can happen through practice of faith in its truest sense which entails an ethical outlook. In our tariqah one attains knowledge and wisdom through complete faith and obedience to the Imam. In our Ginan "Aye Raheman Raheman" we recite:

ejee tan man dhan guruku(n) arapann kije

to ginaane ginaane ginaan...ab to............................1

which means:

If I submit my body, heart, and wealth to the Guide,

His knowledge helps me know more and more(leading to the ultimate knowledge of the truth).

Hence the first requirement would be to be regular in your religious duties and seva.

Then acquire all elementary knowledge of our faith. This would include our fundamental concept of Imamat, our history, our Ginans, lives of important personalities in our history, the meaning of our Dua. You will find most of the material in this site in the Library and Ginans section. This will provide you with a strong foundation to build upon and with it you will be able to confront different perspectives and approaches to the study of our faith and history without compromising the fundamentals of our understanding.

And pray for His grace, work hard in your secular education and take interest in all that happens around you in terms of our communal activities around the world and current trends in knowledge.