Pir Satgur Noor

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..

Pir Satgur Noor

Post by Guest »

The earliest Pir to have preached in India, according to the Khoja Ismaili
tradition, is one named Satgur Nur (or Nur Satgur). Various dates have been proposed for his life, falling in the period between the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th centuries.

Traditions in the community trace the ancestry of Satgur Nur to the Shi'a Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (d. 765). As all the succeeding major Pirs are held in the tradition to be lineally descended from one another, this attributes 'Alid descent (i.e. from 'Ali b. Abi Talib, the first Shi'a Imam) to all these Pirs. It is worth noting, in this connection, that it was a common practice among the Sufis, more widely, for the descent of their Pirs to be traced back to the reputed figure of Ja'far al-Sadiq.Satagura padhariya tame jagajo Attributed to Pir Satgur Nur

From Mahan Ismaili Sant Pir Hasan Kabirdin ane Bija Sattadhari Piro Rachit Ginano Sangrah. Bombay, undated.

Ginan 6, pp. 134-135 (English); 121-122 (Gujarati)

SEM SAHIL <semsahil@yahoo.com>
nagib

Re: Pir Satgur Noor

Post by nagib »

[quote="Anonymous"]The earliest Pir to have preached in India, according to the Khoja Ismaili tradition, is one named Satgur Nur
-----------

In fact we also have few ginans written by his father Pir Salehdin I believe. The Ismaili Dawa in the Indian Subcontinent pre-dates the establishment of the Fatimid Empire in Maghreb. Dai Hatim, the nefew of Dai Ibn Hawshab, was preching in India in the 850s'

According to Pir Shams, Imam Ismail himself converted the first populations in India during his last 10 years of Imamat...

In 1981 I met Vazir Sherali Alidina in Karachi and he quoted me yet another non-Ismaili source confirming the same..

Nagib
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

nagib wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The earliest Pir to have preached in India, according to the Khoja Ismaili tradition, is one named Satgur Nur
-----------

In fact we also have few ginans written by his father Pir Salehdin I believe. The Ismaili Dawa in the Indian Subcontinent pre-dates the establishment of the Fatimid Empire in Maghreb. Dai Hatim, the nefew of Dai Ibn Hawshab, was preching in India in the 850s'

According to Pir Shams, Imam Ismail himself converted the first populations in India during his last 10 years of Imamat...

In 1981 I met Vazir Sherali Alidina in Karachi and he quoted me yet another non-Ismaili source confirming the same..

Nagib
Ya Ali Madad,

Can you please mention the Ginan source where Pir Shams has mentioned this?
Admin

Post by Admin »

star_munir wrote:
nagib wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The earliest Pir to have preached in India, according to the Khoja Ismaili tradition, is one named Satgur Nur
-----------
Ya Ali Madad,

Can you please mention the Ginan source where Pir Shams has mentioned this?
I know Man Samjani Vadi of Pir Shams mentions this.

I don't have it handy, it may be in chapter 152, 153, 154 I am not sure., there are 8020 verses known out of 10,000 for this particular Granth.
Admin

Man Samjani Pir Shams on Imam Ismail and Pir Satgur Noor.

Post by Admin »

Finally I found some chapters related to the above discussed subject in Man Samjani : Here are Chapter 152, 153 and 154 in the Gujrati version. I gave this one because it was easier to look for but there is also the Khojki version somewhere. Again to preempt question about availability of the complete book, it will be accessible once we complete the cataloguing of all the scanned material.

star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thank you very much for sharing this