Description of the Heritage Project

Questions and comments on the Blood Pledge
Admin

Description of the Heritage Project

Post by Admin »

The Golden Jubilee celebrations will last a whole year, from 11 July 2007 to 11 July 2008.

You can read on this link http://www.ismaili.net/html/blood.php#form the description of the project, why we decided to do it and how you can be part of this very special gift to the Imam for His Golden Jubilee.[/url]
nagib

Post by nagib »

walli wrote:Don't think it was too smart to start a blood drive in the middle of Ramadan, the month of fasting.
The people who started the drive did probably not know that no one needs blood in the month of Ramadan since during that month there are no patients in need of blood in hospitals. Or they may have though that the blood brive is only for Ismailis.

If you are fasting, you can give blood at night or after your finish your fast. but I doubt that when you die God will be asking you how many fasts you did while you could have saved a life but instead found an excuse for not doing so.

Nagib
walli

Post by walli »

Obviously there will still be a need - just that it is not very healthy or safe to give blood during the period of fasting. I'm not a doctor, but even giving in the evening might not be recommended, as the body does not replace the blood instantly upon having the next meal. Generally, while not participating in a fast, it takes several weeks to replace a pint of blood.

No need for the sarcasm Nagib. Are you still bitter about the notes that FINALLY got to you stop distributing Firmans?

BTW - I think it is wonderful that people are thinking about this type of thing for the Golden Jubilee. Very creative!

Keep smiling :D
nagib

Post by nagib »

I am surprised to hear that I have stopped distributing Farmans. The news of my death are premature :-)

The Jubilee Drive is about pledging for delivery any time before the end of Jubilee as says the text so no one can say he can not pledge in this period because of whatever reason.

Just think how many pledges of blood and salwats would be lost by waiting a month...

Anyway this is all outside the scope of this thread, if I was the Admin of this board, I would just delete all this discussion but again, I am not ;-)

Nagib
ktnk

More reason to give...

Post by ktnk »

YAM all,

My little cousin, who has wholeheartedly embraced the project and has started talking about it to her firends, has just send me the following email in hopes that I will do the same. I thought I'd share how she sees the project and explains it to her friends:

"... Not only the idea of giving blood because it helps save a random life, but maybe the idea of how indirectly you ARE giving blood to the Imam. Because all creation is His, and if He has asked our help to save His creation, then we should not say <no>. Also considering the fact that we Ismailis are His army and are supposed to help Him in all ways that He asks of us (especially since a real army is no longer needed - He refers to us as His Lashkar) and as such we should be willing to give blood, our lives, whatever the Imam asks. He does not say we are is Army just for His protection, but of all Mankind. And that is the key for people. It is our duty as per many things the Imam says to save MANKIND... not just for Him, but all His creation... A long discussion over this topic helped convince alot of those who did not want to. Sometimes peopel are just afraid because they do not see the full connection and consequence of their actions with Mowla.
"
K.
Admin

Post by Admin »

It's pretty hard to do a blood drive.
As hema-quebec says, 99% of people think about giving, 50% have the intention of giving, and 3% actually do give.

Yesterday was the montreal-wide blood drive organized by the mayor. With their budget and reach, they collected a total of... 650 units of blood in total for the whole city of Montreal.

I think when Ismailis put their heart to it, they can dedicate much more than this to their Imam. Lets all prove that we can give more for our Imam then any Montrealer can give for their mayor!

Invite and encourage your family and friends to join you for the Heritage Golden Jubilee Blood Drive! Use your phone, your direct communication, your e-mailing lists.. Lets reach our goal of 20,000 units dedicated to The Imam of the Time even before Jubilee year starts!

Admin
walli

Post by walli »

Just want to make sure everyone knows that I do think this is a good idea overall. I was just highlighting that if you are fasting, you might want to wait till after.

A second small point is that blood is only good for 35 days after it is given (42 days for red blood cells, and only 5 days for platelets). If we get a couple thousand pints in one location over just a few weeks, it won't help in the long run as the hospitals will just have to throw the blood out (those statistics are not published as it doesn't help the cause). To manage this, most centres in the West (and I'd think elsewhere too) issue requests if levels fall below thresholds. If levels are okay, they do not go looking for it. Many centres also keep a list of people, and will call when there is a need. In Canada, 850,000 units of blood were collected in 2004/5 and the need was 730,000 units - so 120,000 units were thrown away. Note that it is better to have some go to waste rather than being short.

If there is catastrophe - all should give immediately (having given fifty days prior will not have saved anyone).
Admin

Post by Admin »

There will be some stats available soon on ismaili.net [but not names].

I can say that in one week we already have Ismailis from 20 countries participating in the Heritage Golden Jubilee Project. Some are Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kirgystan, China [yes!], Ivory Coast, Congo, Kenya, Canada, Mozambique, USA, France, India, Pakistan, UK, Tanzania, Uganda, Netherland, Sweeden, Bangladesh - more to come :-)

The donation of blood will be spread accross time and countries.
finni

blood drive

Post by finni »

I feel uncomfortable with the idea of giving blood to commemmorate the Golden Jubille of Hazer Imam. Blood reminds me of wars and battles fought during our History.

The best gift we can give Hazer Imam is
* regular attendance to JK and or being regular in our prayers
* Being united and do Sewa and vlountary work
* Spread the word that our faith is about Peace and not War or Jihad.
* Strive to be meritocratic

Just my thought...
Admin

Post by Admin »

There are many ways to give.

Salwats and blood donation are the 2 ways choosen by the Heritage web site.

I understand from finni's post that giving blood reminds him of historical wars. At Karbala, each of the 72 martyrs sacrificed about 10 units each of their blood for the Imam of their time [a person has between 8 and 12 units in his body and one unit is replaced within few days unless you are dead:-)]. So at Karbala 720 units were dedicated to the Imam in one day. If we had such heroes today, it would not be a chalenge to reach 20,000 units to be dedicated for the Golden Jubilee of our Imam.

Today we are not in war with anyone. And our Imam does not want any of our blood wasted in war. But he wants us to save lifes and what beter way to save lifes then to give blood?

What other gift really comes out of our heart. Money comes from our pocket and service from our time and expertise comes from our intellect but blood gift is a gift from the heart in both sense.

In Yesterdays' Nation newspaper, Bloodlink Foundation says that in Kenya alone, every 10 minutes three people require blood. Tomorrow, god forbid, it may even be you or your family. What goes around, comes around. So do good deeds.