Alevism and Ismailism

Discussion on R&R from all regions
Qizilbash

Alevism and Ismailism

Post by Qizilbash »

Hello dear Ismailites!
I am a Kurdish Alevi from Turkey, and I am very interested in your faith as I have spotted that we have much in common!

I am about to buy a book abought your belief, and I have chosen one of Farhad Daftary, since I have read that this is one of the authors that you yourself recommend.

The Alevi belief is a Twelver Shia belief, that accepts the existens of the Zahir and Batin interpretation of the Quran.

We make our ritual ceremonies and pray in our Jam ~ Jamatkhana.

At our ceremonies, both men and women take part.

We also believe, that Allah has manifested Himself in our Imam's!

I want to learn more about your belief, by finding you, I feel I have found a missing link!
skaswani

Post by skaswani »

salam, ya ali madad

brother .. i think alvi are those who are from sons of Ali a.s? right?

regards,
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

You can read chapter Islam the religion of My ancestors from Memoirs of Aga Khan.
You can refer to Ismaili history from this website.
baqi

Post by baqi »

Ya Ali Madad my Alevi brother!!!

It's great to hear from a Alevi Shi'a! Ismaili Shi'a and Alevi Shi'a have a lot in common!

Check out the following link, it may be of interest to you:

http://www.nuralimam.net/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Khodahafiz, Ya Ali Madad.
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

How many of you guys have heard of Alevism?

Alevism is a heterodox Twelver Shi'a belief, its followers mainly living in Turkey. It is estimated that there are 10-12 million Alevis from Turkey.

Similarities between Alevism and (Nizari) Ismailism:

ALEVISM....................................................................NIZARI ISMAILISM
Do not observe Sharia................................................Do not observe Sharia
Pilgrimage to "the Kaba of
the Heart" and not to Hajj
because God's face (Jamal/Didar)
can thus be obtained..................................................Didar of Imam
Zahir and Batin............................................................Zahir and Batin
Esoteric knowledge (gnosis).......................................Esoteric knowledge (gnosis)
4 Doors
(Shariat, Tarikat, Marifat, Hakikat)..............................4 Doors (S, T, H, M)
Perform prayers in Jam-khana (Jam-evi)......................Perform prayers in Jamatkhana
Religious leaders called Murshid, Pir, etc......................Religious leaders called Pir, etc.
Is a semi-tariqah..........................................................Is a tariqah
Believe in wahdat'ul-wujood........................................Wahdat'ul-wujood
Has religious hymns (nefes).........................................Religious hymns (ginans)
Discussable belief in dawr/tanasukh............................Tanasukh
Uses taqiyya.................................................................Uses taqiyya
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

How Angel Gabriel Became Our Brother of the Hereafter (On the Question of Ismaili Influence on Alevism)

Abstract

This article attempts to analyse Alevi cosmology within heterodox Islamic tradition. The main primary source is a recording made in 2009 in Istanbul. The Alevi creation myth (told by a 92-year-old man from the Dersim [Tunceli] region) offers a remarkable combination of symbols and an interpretation of why mankind was created. The role Archangel Gabriel fulfils from the beginning to the creation of the first man, and the notion of ‘looking for a second one’ as the cause of creation, are the most striking features of this myth. The story has given me the opportunity to explore the cosmological views of certain Shi’i sects. Interesting parallels with the cosmological speculations of Ismailis cannot be underestimated. The Alevi studies mainly focus on the period after the thirteenth century. Analysis of this creation myth, on the other hand, in which Archangel Gabriel plays the leading role, leads us, at least on theological matters, to reconsider the formation and circulation of ‘heretical’ ideas from the tenth to the thirteenth century in the Middle East in general and in Seljuk realms in particular.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 15.1060154