THE YOUTH

Current issues, news and ethics
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Maximising productivity while learning from home

In response to the global Covid-19 pandemic, many educational institutions have transitioned from in-person to online learning. For students who are used to classroom settings, a different learning setting can pose new challenges, especially when trying to remain productive and motivated. Here are some strategies to adapt to an online learning environment.

In this unprecedented time, it’s important that we support one another and find ways to make the transition easier. Whether it is creating a special space for learning, or making an effort to stay in touch with loved ones, there are many strategies that can help ease the transition to learning from home, while also maintaining focus and productivity.

More...

https://the.ismaili/global/our-communit ... rning-home
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Young Ismailis continue long-standing musical tradition

Music has always been an integral part of the cultural fabric of Muslim societies. From Fatimid Cairo to the Iberian Peninsula, music has long brought people together, fostering a sense of identity and community. Around the world, young Ismaili musicians are continuing this rich tradition.

At the Aga Khan Music Awards Prize-Giving Ceremony in Lisbon in 2019, Mawlana Hazar Imam said, “The cultural heritage of Islam has long embraced musical language as an elemental expression of human spirituality. Listening to music, practicing music, sharing music, performing music - have long been an intimate part of life for Muslim communities across the world.”

Whether they are competing at international talent shows, conducting orchestras, or organising music festivals, a number of young musicians follow in this vein, and continue to inspire.

Chorshanbe Alovatov (Tajikistan)

Naira Sidi (USA/Canada)

Junayde Alam (Pakistan)

Photos and details at:

https://the.ismaili/global/our-communit ... -tradition
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Welcome to the Youth

Youth Corner is your destination for updates, recommendations and resources for parents and students during these COVID-19 times. In collaboration with the U.S. jamati institutions, the Youth Corner provides helpful materials for all age groups, from studying tips and at-home learning resources, to available online tools for continuing education.

https://the.ismaili/usa/welcome-the-youth-corner

Secondary Students (Grades 7-12)

This is your one-stop-shop for information on exams, college applications, weighing your college decision, and making the most out of this quarantine!

https://the.ismaili/usa/secondary-students-grades-7-12

Primary Kids (Grades K-6)

Welcome to a curated spot for daily schedules, snacks, parenting tips, mindfulness tips, resource and activity recommendations, roadmaps to college, and more.

https://the.ismaili/usa/primary-kids-grades-k-6

Early Childhood Development

Our goal is to provide 100% of our children with access to Early Childhood Development.

Due to COVID-19, we are rolling out virtual ECDC all around the country at this time for families with children ages birth to 6. Our facilitators will not only walk you through the materials so that you can engage your child at home and keep up with their development, but they will also be available to you as a coach to answer any questions along the way.

https://the.ismaili/usa/early-childhood-development
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

AKEB Webinars for Parents/Carers : Empowering Families to Thrive in this Situation

AKEB is pleased to invite you to join the next set of webinars.

The next Early Years webinar is on supporting your child's wellbeing on Saturday 18 April from 2.00-3.00pm, click here to register.

The next webinars on Sunday 19 April will cover preparing for the next phase of school closures and what this means for learning:

Primary - 11.00am-12.00pm, click here to register.

Secondary - 12.15-1.15pm, click here to register.

Click here for more information on each webinar, and please register by Friday 17 April.

https://the.ismaili/uk/akeb-webinars-pa ... -situation
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Distance Learning Is Better

I’m 13 years old, and I prefer working at my own pace without classroom disruptions.

Talking out of turn. Destroying classroom materials. Disrespecting teachers. Blurting out answers during tests. Students pushing, kicking, hitting one another and even rolling on the ground. This is what happens in my school every single day.

You may think I’m joking, but I swear I’m not.

Based on my peers’ behavior, you might guess that I’m in second or fourth grade. But I’m actually about to enter high school in New York City, and, during my three years of middle school, these sorts of disruptions occurred repeatedly in any given 42-minute class period.

That’s why I’m in favor of the distance learning the New York City school system instituted when the coronavirus pandemic hit. If our schools use this experience to understand how to better support teachers in the classroom, then students will have a shot at learning more effectively when we return.

Let me explain why.

I have been doing distance learning since March 23 and find that I am learning more, and with greater ease, than when I attended regular classes. I can work at my own pace without being interrupted by disruptive students and teachers who seem unable to manage them.

Students unable or unwilling to control themselves steal valuable class time, often preventing their classmates from being prepared for tests and assessments. I have taken tests that included entire topics we never mastered, either because we were not able to get through the lesson or we couldn’t sufficiently focus.

I do not envy a middle-school teacher’s job. It’s far from easy to oversee 26 teenagers. And in my three years of middle school, I’ve encountered only a few teachers who had strong command of their classrooms — enforcing consistent rules, treating students fairly and earning their respect.

I go to a school that puts a big emphasis on collaborative learning; approximately 80 percent of our work is done in teacher-assigned groups of three to five students. This forces students who want to complete their assignments into the position of having to discipline peers who won’t behave and coax reluctant group members into contributing.

Distance learning gives me more control of my studies. I can focus more time on subjects that require greater effort and study. I don’t have to sit through a teacher fielding questions that have already been answered. I can still collaborate with other students, but much more effectively. I am really enjoying FaceTiming friends who bring different perspectives and strengths to the work; we challenge one another and it’s a richer learning experience.

I’ve also found that I prefer some of the recorded lessons that my teachers post to Google Classroom over the lessons they taught in person. This year I have struggled with math. The teacher rarely had the patience for questions as he spent at least a third of class time trying to maintain order. Often, when I scheduled time to meet with him before school, there would be a pileup at his door of students who also had questions. He couldn’t help us all in 20 minutes before first period. Other times he just wouldn’t show up.

With distance learning, all of that wasted time is eliminated. I stop, start and even rewind the teacher’s recording when I need to and am able to understand the lesson on the day it’s taught. If I am confused, I attend my teacher’s weekly online office hours (which are 60-90 minutes long); there are never more than two or three other students present.

The fact that I am learning so much better away from the classroom shows that something is wrong with our system. Two weeks ago, my school began experimenting with live video teaching on Google Meet. Unfortunately, the same teachers who struggle to manage students in the classroom also struggle online.

What lessons from remote learning can be taken back to the classroom? I have a few suggestions. First, teachers should send recorded video lessons to all students after class (through email or online platforms like Google Classroom). Second, teachers should offer students consistent, weekly office hours of ample time for 1-to-1 or small group meetings. Third, teachers who are highly skilled in classroom management should be paid more to lead required trainings for teachers, plus reinforcement sessions as needed.

These first two suggestions began during distance learning and have already been a great success. I hope they continue when we return to school, and that schools use this opportunity to improve the learning experiences of all their students.

Veronique Mintz is an eighth-grade student.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/opin ... 778d3e6de3
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili high school student names NASA’s Mars helicopter

Ever since Vaneeza Rupani was a little girl, she has been captivated by space exploration. She fed her interest by reading books about space at her school library and visiting the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

“The idea that there is an endless number of worlds out there waiting to be discovered is fascinating, and the idea that anything at all could be found is extremely exciting,” Vaneeza said.

While visiting NASA’s website, Vaneeza, now a junior student in high school, saw a headline about an essay contest to name the rover for the Mars 2020 mission. Fueled by her passion for space exploration, Vaneeza decided to enter the contest. She considered several ideas that fit the description she envisioned for the Rover, and ultimately landed on “Ingenuity.”

When asked what inspired her to choose “Ingenuity,” Vaneeza said she considered the name of the previous Mars rover, Curiosity, which answered the question of why we explore space. Vaneeza wanted a name that would answer the question of how.

“My goal was to highlight one quality that encapsulated the intelligence, creativity, and hard work it took to create these machines, and I thought ‘ingenuity’ captured all of that best,” Vaneeza said. “I tried my best to come up with a name that honoured the brilliant work of the people behind the Mars 2020 mission. I was inspired by the qualities they possess and use to make space exploration a reality. I wanted to convey that the ability to send machines to do science on another planet is amazing.”

“Ingenuity is what allows people to accomplish amazing things, and it allows us to expand our horizons to the edges of the universe.”

Although “Ingenuity” was not chosen for the Mars rover, it was ultimately selected as the name of the helicopter that will be sent alongside the rover to Mars.

After the announcement was made, Vaneeza received a congratulatory tweet from astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who alongside Neil Armstrong, was part of the first group to land on the moon on the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Vaneeza also had the opportunity to meet the team that designed the Mars helicopter, and has been invited to view the launch of the rocket this summer that will carry the rover and helicopter.

“This helicopter will be the first powered flight on another world,” said Vaneeza. “Not only will it be proof of an amazing concept, but it will also add an aerial element to space exploration that will open up multitudes of opportunities for more knowledge and a better understanding of our universe. Having any part in the Mars 2020 mission is incredible, and the helicopter is an amazing feat of engineering that I am thrilled to get to name.”

Learn more about the Mars helicopter on the official webpage and in the video below.

Video, photos at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... helicopter
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Navigating university admissions amid unprecedented times

Applying to an undergraduate programme can often feel like an arduous phase in a student’s life, even without the added burden of a global pandemic. However, this unprecedented time allows students an opportunity to seek out unique and creative ways to prepare themselves for the upcoming university application process.

In this time of uncertainty, it is important to keep up the momentum and stay focused on achieving your academic and personal goals. Below are some strategies for navigating the university admissions process during this pandemic. Rather than a comprehensive list of ways to prepare for the college applications, this is a starting point for what students can consider during their time at home.

Create a university application portfolio

You can use Dropbox or Google Drive to create an electronic portfolio to compile the various aspects you need to apply to university. Many applications require you to record all extracurricular and community service projects and hours. By tracking the activities you have participated in during high school, you will save time when filling out the actual application.

In order to keep track of your progress and performance, include copies of your standardised test scores in this portfolio and calendars of remaining tests you have yet to take.

Research universities

Create a spreadsheet and brainstorm a list of universities you are interested in attending. Be sure to include a balance of reach (aspirational) and safety (insurance) schools in the mix. Spend some time reading about the schools’ academic and extracurricular offerings. Ask yourself what you most love about the institution and why you want to attend.

Include in your spreadsheet the application deadlines, testing requirements, and choice of study at each of these universities. It is also helpful to note which platform you will use to submit your application. Schools in the United States will often use platforms like the Common Application, Apply Texas, and the UC Application, while schools in the United Kingdom typically use UCAS. Other institutions may use different online portals. Compiling all of this information together will help you maintain a sense of clarity and direction throughout the application process.

Attend virtual campus tours

Although campus visits are not currently taking place, most universities have set up virtual campus tours online. Students can take a peek into campus life from the virtual tours and ask questions via chat features. Take note of the resources available on campus including libraries, learning centres, student life buildings, dormitory spaces, and leisure or recreation centres. Remember, much of your university education will happen outside of the classroom.

Reach out to admissions officers

High school students have the potential to make connections with admissions officers via email and phone. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them and ask meaningful questions. Admissions officers are sensitive to the fact that you cannot visit universities and meet people in person. Showing initiative and interest is a reflection of your commitment to the university.

Consider possible recommendation letters

The purpose of the reference or recommendation letter is to articulate the relationship between the applicant and their recommender, discuss positive contributions, and speak to the personality and values of the applicant. Use the summertime to draft out a list of people who could write about different aspects of your character and the various contributions you have made.

Prepare an electronic folder with your resume and list out potential areas for your recommender to speak about. Send recommenders an email notifying them that you are requesting a reference letter.

It is important to start this process early so that your recommenders have enough time to write meaningful testimonials before they are swamped with requests from many students at the same time.

Trust the process

As long as you are putting in your best effort to prepare for university, it is important that you trust that the outcome will be for the best. Offer yourself grace and understanding when preparing for university admissions by setting fair expectations and taking adequate breaks. Although applications may pose temporary challenges and distress, it is often well worth the effort.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... nted-times
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

FUNKAAR

The Aga Khan Youth and Sports Board for Pakistan is bringing yet another exiting and intriguing new programme for the youth to showcase their talents through diverse expressions. Ismaili youth, between the ages of 12 and 19, may participate in one of the following three categories:

Craftwork using Recycled, Up-Scaled or Reused Materials:

Produce craftwork with recycled, up scaled or reused material readily available in your home and/or near your residence. The craftwork will be evaluated on originality, aesthetics and effective use of recycled, up scaled or reused materials. Potential examples include the use of used plastic bottles, old clothes, stones, etc. to produce craftwork.

Innovative Solutions to Real-World Issues:

Develop low-cost, innovative gadgets/technological solutions to address a real-world issue and/or enhance the quality of daily life chores. The technological solutions will be evaluated on originality, cost-effectiveness and relevance. Potential examples include an online application, a small robot, face masks, etc.

Vlogs on Social Issues:

Develop Vlogs on a social issue affecting our lives. The duration of the Vlog should be limited to three minutes and it should be shot without compromising on the social distancing guidelines issued by the government. The Vlogs will be evaluated on originality, relevance of the social issue and cohesiveness of the storyline (editing with sophisticated software is not required). Potential themes of a Vlog include education, health, climate change, poverty, family values, empathy, etc. Sensitive socio-political issues including religion, and/or issues that may incite provocation, are not allowed.

For registration and to submit your entries visit: https://tinyurl.com/ysbfunkaar

If you do not have easy internet access, or are unable to access this link, please contact members of the Youth and Sports Board who will facilitate you in making the submission Ismaili youth residing outside Pakistan are also welcome to participate.

The last date for submission is 28th June 2020, so hurry up and register yourself.

https://the.ismaili/pakistan/news/what's-new/funkaar
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Global Encounters unveils virtual programme for July 2020

In response to extensive travel restrictions and preventive measures being taken due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Global Encounters and Aga Khan Youth and Sports Boards from around the world are joining together to offer a new virtual summer camp for the youth of the global Jamat.

“We are so excited to be collaborating with partners from different parts of the world to offer a unique global camp experience for Ismaili youth,” said Zahra Kassam, Director of Global Camps. “Our hope is that we can bring all of the aspects that make physical camps powerful – making new friends, having great mentors, learning new skills, creating art, exploring new ideas, and engaging in rich discussions – to the virtual world.”

CONNECT: A Journey of Exploration, Learning and Creativity will be the first ever global camp offered virtually. The programme will allow students to engage with other Ismaili youth from different countries, better understand the work of the Aga Khan Development Network, collaborate on creative projects, interact with experts in various fields, and participate in cultural exchange.

Each day will include up to six hours of virtual programming consisting of interactive workshops, activities, and reflections. With topics ranging from arts, culture, and entrepreneurship, to fitness and wellbeing, the programming will allow students to make new friends while also building skills relevant for the future.

“There are so many ways to connect and learn on new digital platforms,” said Zahra. “We're thrilled about the potential and hope that globally, young members of the Jamat will be, too!"

CONNECT will take place from 20-31 July, 2020 and is open to Ismaili students around the world (ages 14-17). Registration for the camp is currently underway and will close on 4 July 2020. Spaces are limited and early registration is highly encouraged.

To learn more and register, please visit: the.ismaili/globalencounters.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/institu ... -july-2020
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

AKYSB,India presents Digi_Cafe @ YSB | A Conversation with Zohib Islam Amiri

Aga Khan Youth & Sports Board for India presents Digi_Cafe @ YSB A Conversation with Zohib Islam Amiri The incredible journey of an Ismaili Afghan boy becoming the captain of the Afghanistan National football team Watch it Now! ...

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZQF06ny94
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IDE8 2020 Edition Orientation (AKEB Webinar)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... RmXygW0d60
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Young environmental ambassadors take lead on climate action

Since the early days of Islam, believers have been taught to care for God’s creation by protecting the world’s natural habitats, and the spirit of environmental stewardship has been carried through to this day. As the dangers of climate change grow increasingly apparent, Ismaili youth from across the globe are leading initiatives to educate their communities and protect the natural world.

Nitasha Aslam (Pakistan)

Ziyaan Virji (Tanzania)

Nuriya Mullo-Abdolova (Tajikistan)

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/global/our-communit ... ate-action
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Global STEM Festival aims to prepare leaders of the future

The upcoming Global STEM Festival will focus on providing children and young adults of the Jamat an opportunity to explore concepts in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, to acquire the skills needed to be successful in their lives and careers.

English | Français | Português | Español | Deutsche | العربية | دری

In today’s rapidly changing world, certain skills such as critical thinking, analytical problem-solving, research, as well as technical skills are incredibly important, and will become even more so in the future. These skills can be developed right from when a child is born, and one way to do so is by exposing them to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) related activities.

With this objective in mind, the Aga Khan Education Boards for Canada, France, Portugal, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America invite you to participate in the Global Stem Festival, a celebration of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

The Global STEM Festival continues a long history of the Ismaili Community’s engagement in knowledge, intellectual enquiry, and learning more about the world, so as to make a contribution to improving the lives of ourselves and others.

The Festival encourages children and young adults between the ages of 3 and 17 to explore STEM fields at home with their families, select a project they’d like to work on, and then share it with the global Jamat. From building a volcano to designing an app, participants are free to engage in any project related to STEM.

Once you have registered, create your project (individually or in a group), make a video recording of it (which can include a presentation, a collection of photos, drawings, or written work), upload your recording to YouTube and submit the video link through the submission form between 5 July and 14 August. Then, join us for the Festival Finale on 29 – 30 August where you'll have an opportunity to view all the projects submitted from around the world.

Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn, develop your skills, and share your work with the global Jamat. To register or to obtain more information, visit the Festival’s website at the.ismaili/stemfestival.

Video at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... the-future
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Unfolding Gems

As a part of Imamat day celebration, SL Students were given a poem of Sa’di Sherazi and an ayat from the Holy Quran that is around the Diamond Jubilee emblem to be interpreted and presented in any form of art, poetry, drawing singing, skit or painting to represent their understanding. Here are some pieces by some of our students.

Art work at:

https://the.ismaili/mozambique/itreb-mz/unfolding-gems
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dear Liberal Arts Students, You Haven’t Been Robbed

The world needs you. Here’s your chance.

Over the last few weeks, America’s elite colleges and universities have been announcing their reopening strategies one by one, weighing explicit health imperatives against implicit economic ones. Most have landed on a disappointing-but-realistic conclusion: The fall semester of 2020 will have to involve an alloy of in-person and remote learning. Many college students will experience only an attenuated version of campus life — if they get to experience it at all.

It’s easy to see what they will lose in this situation. The intoxicating pleasures of independence. The stimulation of late-night conversation about life, meaning, and the universe. The pure exhilaration (and relief) of finding your own kind.

But let’s face it: It’s pretty luxurious to have these experiences in the first place. Perhaps it’s worth discussing what these luckiest of students might also gain at this moment. Because they do stand to gain. It just requires that they reimagine what late adolescence is for, and what it should be about.

The fact is, many colleges — especially private liberal arts schools, the ones that have driven much of the discussion in recent weeks — are cloistered, passive settings. Students are fed and housed, just as they were at home; their time and activities are structured, just as it was when they were still in high school. College may give them wonderful opportunities to think, form relationships, and self-define. But it seldom gives them the chance to productively engage with the world.

Yet they are more than capable of doing so. In “Huck’s Raft,” his highly readable history of American childhood, Steven Mintz points out that Herman Melville worked as a clerk, a teacher, a farmer laborer and a cabin boy on a whaling ship, all by the age of 20. (“A whale-ship was my Yale College and my Harvard,” says Ishmael.) George Washington became an official surveyor for Culpepper County at 17 and a commissioned major in the militia at 20.

“Behavior that we would consider precocious,” Mintz writes, “was commonplace.”

It wasn’t until the end of World War II that children emerged as a truly protected class in this country. That was when they finally became, in the words of the sociologist Viviana Zelizer, “economically worthless but emotionally priceless.”

More...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/opin ... 778d3e6de3
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Google translation of original article in Portuguese:

https://the.ismaili/portugal/bridges-tu ... -de-verano

Bridges: your international summer program

The Bridges Program aims to provide children in Jamat with contact with the English language, starting from the interaction with other young people of the same age.

Portuguese

The importance of the English language is emphasized by Mawlana Hazar Imam throughout the ages and it is with this objective that Aga Khan Education Boards from Canada, France, Portugal, United Kingdom and the United States of America developed a special program - Bridges.

The international Bridges summer program seeks to enable and encourage the development of connections, in a virtual space, between Ismailis students, using the English language.

The Bridges program consists of six sessions (live) once a week, scheduled to last ninety minutes each, on Tuesdays. There will be opportunities to debate, participate and socialize with young people from different cultures and backgrounds. In this way, it offers opportunities to learn, create, collaborate, celebrate and share. Interactions will take place both in small groups as well as involving everyone to reflect and share stories. There will also be plenty of opportunities to meet new people, make friends and learn about others.

At the end of the program, Bridges participants will:

Share and compare stories about people, places and identity;
Develop curiosity to learn more about unknown people and places to improve your confidence;
Develop communication, interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
The program will start on July 21 and end on August 25, 2020 . If you are between 13 and 17 years old, this program is for you! Don't miss the opportunity to learn about different countries and cultures and build lasting friendships.

Registration ends on July 19 and places are limited. Guarantee your seat now!

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Innovation programme in UAE challenges youth to build for a better future

Ismaili youth and young professionals have come together for the IDE8 open innovation challenge to find solutions to the world's most significant challenges. Through this process, they will learn skills that will help them prepare for a dynamic future, as well as assist those around them in need of support.

Over the past six months, people all over the world have had to drastically change the way they live, study, and work. The Covid-19 pandemic has impacted lives everywhere, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, or background. In order to adapt to and live in this rapidly changing world, we must also change the way we think; this is the notion on which IDE8 is grounded.

Mawlana Hazar Imam, in his recent guidance, has encouraged us to look to the future and be cautious for it, he said: "We must remain strong and prepare to build, and to build well when this crisis passes." He went on to say, "The world is facing a challenging time, and in these moments, it is important that the Jamat remains united and focused on helping those who will need assistance and handholding."

In accordance with the guidance of building well for the post-Covid era, the Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) in the United Arab Emirates has launched its first-ever open innovation challenge entitled IDE8. This challenge, which began in late June, is open to Ismaili youth between the ages of 8 and 30 years; it will take them through the process of evaluating the adversities presented by the current state of our world and seeing these challenges as opportunities to build well for the future.

The participants, or 'Gamechangers', will design a solution pertaining to one of the themes of the competition. The themes focus on sectors that have experienced challenges in these times, including healthcare, policymaking, economic development, and education.

With the inspiration that they gain from programme faculty, a group of carefully selected leading experts from various industries, through webinars and toolkits, the Gamechangers will embark upon a journey from understanding the challenges and brainstorming ideas to engaging in the process of design thinking. Finally, in early August, the Gamechangers will add the finishing touches to their designs and present them to a panel of judges.

Hussain Lalani, Chairman of AKEB UAE, said that the aim of the programme is "To see [youth] come together to build a better and brighter future, the kind of tomorrow we will be calling the new normal." The initiative intends to inspire the youth of the community to ideate unique, impact-driven, disruptive solutions to the problems that the world is facing today.

IDE8 project leads Shazia Merchant and Kiran Amin Mohammad said that "IDE8 brings about a ray of light and personifies hope. The programme will aim to reiterate our fundamental values of empathy, problem-solving, and service to others, through design thinking and innovation."

The skills they gain through this programme will empower participants not only to design novel solutions for the progress of their communities but also to navigate various challenges of future instability they may face as individuals. These skills, which are grounded in our ethics, will help them remain resilient in volatile times and move forward with confidence in their purpose.

This programme will also take participants through a journey of individual growth, through which they will first be inspired, then bring their ideas to life through design, and finally, through this process, empower themselves and their communities to build well for a better future.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... ter-future
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

What Every Church Needs to Know About Generation Z

A landmark new study from Biola and Talbot alumni offers key findings about the next generation

You’ve heard all about millennials. But what about the generation coming right behind them? Gen Z, born between 1999 and 2015, is beginning to reach college and high school, and in many ways, they're vastly different from their millennial predecessors — less religious, more success-oriented, more diverse, more captivated by technology and more likely to embrace different views on sexual identity. Is your church prepared to help them flourish in this new cultural landscape?

A new Barna Group study spearheaded by two Biola and Talbot alumni offers unprecedented insights into this generation, and gives Christian leaders, parents and youth workers much to think about. The study was commissioned by Impact 360 Institute, led by Talbot alumnus Jonathan Morrow (M.A. ’07, M.Div. ’07, D.Min. ’14), who serves as an adjunct faculty member at Biola and is the director of cultural engagement and immersion at Impact 360, where many Talbot faculty members are guest lecturers. The study was performed by Barna Group, whose president is David Kinnaman (’96), a Biola alumnus and trustee.

This important project focused primarily on youth ages 13 to 18 in the United States. It also included adults 19 and older for comparison and committed Christian parents and youth pastors for insights about how they are ministering to this generation. The goal for this research project was to determine Gen Z perspectives about identity, worldview, motivations and views on faith and church. Every research has some limitations and there is still a need for additional work about this generation. For example, it would be important to conduct longitudinal studies to see if the Gen Z perspectives change over time. It would be helpful to compare the results of this study with similar ones in international contexts and to further explore the great ethnic diversity of this generation. However, this milestone Barna study gives great insights for churches and Christian leaders in the United States about the emerging Gen Z and has significant implications regarding how to better minister to them.

Gen Z Characteristics and Their Implications for Ministry

Gen Z will quickly become the largest American generation yet. They are today’s teenagers and children 18 and under (born between 1999 to 2015). Millennials were born between 1984 to 1998; Gen X were born between 1965 to 1983; Boomers were born between 1946 to 1964; and Elders were born before 1946. According to Barna's Gen Z report, six major forces de ne this generation: technology, worldview, identity, parents, security and diversity. These broad categories describe — in general terms — Gen Z, and provide churches, Christian leaders and parents with important challenges and opportunities.

More...

https://www.biola.edu/blogs/talbot-maga ... neration-z
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Supporting Young Women through Awareness and Fighting Stigma

More than 800 million people menstruate on a daily basis, and 500 million of them do not have access to safe sanitary products and facilities. Globally, many menstruators are absent from school because of their menstrual cycle which in the long run, affects their education and missed opportunities in life, thus causing them to be trapped in a cycle of poverty.

Ziyaan Virji, born and raised in Dar es Salaam, I wanted to change that fact. He first came into contact with the topic of menstruation when he discovered a documentary on Facebook titled India’s Menstruation Man. Watching this documentary led to a discussion with his mother about her experience with menstrual hygiene. Ziyaan discovered that when she was younger living in India, she was amongst the 500 million people that do not have proper access to menstrual hygiene products. The extensive research he conducted inspired him to design and make his very own reusable sanitary pad as his IB “Personal Project” in tenth grade studying at the Aga Khan Academy in Mombasa, Kenya. After completing this year-long project, he reflected on his work and realized that he wanted to continue working on solving the issue of “period poverty” and making the project sustainable beyond just a school project.

Building on his momentum, Ziyaan founded his own organization, Affordable and Accessible Sanitation for Women (AASW). The organization works closely with local communities to provide them with sanitary packages, conducting workshops discussing menstrual hygiene, and stitching workshops. By working with different school groups in local communities, AASW helps break taboos regarding menstruation. So far, AASW has provided 2,500 menstruators with access to menstrual hygiene products and has had 400,000 engagements on social media platforms. Their aim for this year is to provide approximately 5,000 more menstruators with access to the products.

More recently during the COVID-19 pandemic, Ziyaan continues to support the communities around him. In Mombasa, he and his team raised money to produce 600 reusable masks to distribute to people with disabilities. They are still working on this initiative and plan to distribute 1,900 more. In May, AASW and their partner Operation Period also launched the first ever International Period Month celebrating Menstrual Hygiene Day. Their aim for the month was to “Share, Create and Donate,” which was promoted through a short film titled Bleed. The team hosted more than 50 virtual events, distributing over 1,500 sanitary packages in Tanzania and Kenya and raising funds to support essential workers during the pandemic. Along with this, Ziyaan also joined Helping Hands Tanzania and is on the board of directors. With this organization, he has helped provide personal protective equipment to frontline workers and has helped improve hygiene for orphanages.

Ziyaan feels that the younger generations are the ones who are “pioneering social change around the world.” From a young age, Ziyaan has felt that being kind to everyone is an ethical principle with the highest significance. He also believes in “respecting each other, no matter what religion or background we come from.” The Diamond Jubilee theme of ‘Social Conscience in Islam’ has also inspired him to address the issue of menstruation.

Most recently, along with the rest of his cohort at school, Ziyaan has started an initiative to raise money to provide other students with an education at the Aga Khan Academy. So far, they have raised more than $32,000 and are continuing to raise money.

His wisdom for today's youth is, “as young people, we are not only leaders of tomorrow, but leaders of today. We are the generation of change and it is our responsibility as young people to create the change we want to see in this world, no matter how small or big it is. I believe tomorrow never comes, so we should start today and start now. Nothing should stop you from bringing change.” Regarding raising awareness about mentruation he says, “The menstrual movement just like any other movement is a collective one, so it is so important that when you start something you work on collaboration and not competition.It is important to recognize that you don’t work in a vacuum and that working with one another can create more of a lasting and meaningful impact.”

Because of his efforts towards addressing period poverty, Ziyaan was awarded the Diana Award in 2019, was featured on BBC Africa, was the ‘We are Family Foundation’s Global Teen Leader’ for 2019 and announced a $15,000 partnership with DTB Kenya to help 2,500 girls. This fall, Ziyaan will be attending the University of British Columbia and will be pursuing a Bachelor of Commerce. Ziyaan hopes “to continue [my] journey of being a social entrepreneur, make period poverty and stigma a thing of the past, and leave a legacy in which left a lasting impact on the lives of others, no matter how big or small.”

https://the.ismaili/tanzania/supporting ... ing-stigma
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Youth in Syria get creative during lockdown

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU0R9FcUaQI

Global Encounters alumni in Syria explain how they have been spending time during the recent lockdown, including learning how to play musical instruments, engaging in arts and crafts, dance, online courses, and more.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

India scraps English as mandatory language in primary schools amid nationalist surge
Joe Wallen
The TelegraphJuly 31, 2020, 9:00 AM
English has been taught in Indian primary schools since the nation's independence in 1947 - Raquel Manzanares/Shutterstock
English has been taught in Indian primary schools since the nation's independence in 1947 - Raquel Manzanares/Shutterstock
India will scrap the mandatory use of English in its primary schools, with subjects instead taught in Hindi or regional languages like Punjabi, for the first time since its independence in 1947.

The controversial move is part of the New Education Policy (NEP) 2020, the largest educational shake-up in India in 34 years, which was spearheaded by the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Hindu-nationalist youth wing, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

As part of the reforms, school syllabuses will focus on “ancient Indian knowledge”. Abolishing compulsory English is seen as a way to promote a united Indian identity from an early age.

For much of the BJP’s support base, English is associated with colonial times and the old corrupt ruling Indian elite which followed afterwards and its abolishment as a mandatory language fits Mr. Modi’s wider policy of driving Indian nationalism.

While only 0.02 percent of India’s 1.38 billion citizens speak English as a mother tongue, it was seen as the vital bridge in a diverse country where 19,500 different languages and dialects are spoken.

Parents took to social media to express their anger at the decision, saying it would reduce their children’s future employment prospects, with fluent English considered essential for highly-coveted and well-paid jobs overseas.

“Why would any progressive country want to eliminate [the] English language from primary school? India enjoys a global advantage for we have the highest English speaking workforce, we are heading towards disaster,” wrote one user on Twitter.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pursued Hindu nationalist policies since coming to power in 2014 - narendermodi.in/narendermodi.in
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pursued Hindu nationalist policies since coming to power in 2014 - narendermodi.in/narendermodi.in
In 2018, India was the highest recipient of remittances in the world - with over £60 billion sent home - with its citizens typically working in English-speaking countries including the United Kingdom and Australia.

Aside from the decision to scrap English in primary schools, the NEP was received with enthusiasm by Indian parents.

As part of the policy the Indian Government will increase its spending on education from 4.4 percent to six percent.

India’s public education system is chronically underfunded, with a shortage of around 800,000 teachers nationally and over 75 percent more classrooms needed to meet demand in the northern state of Bihar.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/ind ... 08091.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote:India scraps English as mandatory language in primary schools amid nationalist surge
I hope our Aga Khan schools will continue to teach in English. Our youth must acquire proficiency in English language. It is the language of science and technology.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Prodigy Danial Asaria inspires others to pursue the game of chess

In the second round of the USA National High School Senior Online Rapid Chess Tournament, chess prodigy Danial Asaria hovered over the resign button on his computer screen. He describes the moment as being “completely dead lost.” However, since this was his final chess tournament as a high school student, he did not want to regret what could have been, so he continued to play.

Danial went through with the trap manoeuvre against the top 18-year-old in the nation. Nineteen moves later, he came out victorious, and a few rounds later he went on to win his fifth national championship, placing him in the prestigious company of only five other players to win all major national scholastic championships.

Danial said chess has helped him develop into the man he is today.

“It taught me problem-solving, taught me to analyze my mistakes, taught me critical thinking, taught me to learn how to lose,” he said. “It’s improved my confidence as well, and overall has made me a better person.”

Danial’s journey with chess went beyond the individual competition when he started the Asaria School of Chess. Teaching kids and adults around the world, he created an opportunity not only to teach the game he loves, but to provide opportunities for families that are less fortunate in his community.

“Chess is very specialized. Because of that, there are definitely going to be very expensive lessons, if you really want to get good,” said Danial. His foundation allows students to learn chess “but also to breach the financial barriers.

Danial has also partnered with the Aga Khan Education Board USA in order to expose more than 100 children to the game of chess during a six-week program. He hopes to share his passion with enthusiasts around the nation.

He has also teamed up with the Ismaili Council for the Western US to help immigrant families in Northern California who have recently migrated to the United States.

“Hopefully we can see if there are any secret chess prodigies,” he said with a smile, ready to pass on the torch to the next generation.

Danial’s mission to help his community has led him to many endeavors throughout his
scholastic career. He started a foundation called Bach to Basics, in order to help children pursue their passion in music, without having parents worry about the elevated prices for music lessons. He noticed that many of them were receiving lessons from professionals, without getting the same opportunities.

“A lot of my friends ended up being in the top band, and were fortunate enough to get lessons themselves,” said Danial. “We came together and made this program to teach students around Los Angeles to play music.” He went on to participate in Team Lead, and Project R.E.A.D as well. The former focused on creating a solution for environmental concerns in Los Angeles, and the latter initiated an after-school program for a local elementary school.

Danial, a prospective University of Southern California student, looks to embark on the next chapter of his young life. Receiving a scholarship to Webster, the top chess program in the nation, he decided he wanted to become a more well-rounded person, before focusing on chess again. He is not looking to play professionally, but he hopes to continue teaching others about the game of chess and acknowledges that chess will always be a part of his life.

“Hopefully, I am going to strive to inspire more people,” he said about moving into the next phase of his life.

Danial hopes to prove that nothing is impossible. Trials and tribulations are bound to occur, but he believes if one can truly put everything towards their dream, they can one day achieve it.

“You have to just go for it,” he said. “No matter what anybody tells you, no matter how many obstacles are in your way, as long as you find out what your true passion is, and you really love it, then you should just work, work, work. Leave nothing behind, no regrets.”

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... game-chess
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Igniting Change, Inspiring Hope: Stories for International Youth day

Since 1999, with endorsement from the UN General Assembly, the 12th of August has been celebrated every year as International Youth Day. This day gives us the opportunity to celebrate the voices, actions, and impactful initiatives of our youth, and recognize their role in shaping our social, economic, and political institutions. The theme of this year’s International Youth Day is “Youth Engagement for Global Action”. In line with this theme, the Ismaili India is proud to share stories of three of our young achievers, whose work in the field of public policy, governance, and development, is truly serving to ignite change and inspire hope.

Meet our first young achiever, Shifa Thobani! Originally from Chhindwara, Shifa is currently based in Palghar as a Fellow of the highly selective Chief Minister Fellowship Program with the Government of Maharashtra. Her work includes extensive data analysis for effective decision making while implementing policies and the consolidation of the work of multiple CSR efforts and NGO initiatives. Shifa is also spearheading Covid-19 relief measures such as equipping health centers to deal with the crisis as well as the training of frontline workers. In addition, she is a proud Ambassador and Menstrual Health Educator for Ecofemme. An engineer by training, with a degree from the prestigious Vellore Institute of Technology, Shifa’s initial dream was to pursue a career in medicine.

However, her volunteer work while at college sparked her passion for policy and development. When she won a scholarship to attend ‘Jagriti Yatra’, a train journey across the nation to explore social enterprise, she knew she had found her calling. When she graduated, Shifa was selected for the SBI Youth for India Fellowship in 2017. As part of the Fellowship, she worked with the Aga Khan Rural Support Programme, India (AKRSP,I) in Mangrol and Dangs, Gujarat. Here she worked with the local community to develop a sustainable waste-management mechanisms for villages in her area. In 2019, Shifa was selected for the prestigious Chief Minister Fellowship. Her future aspirations are to drive policy level change through work with a State or Ministry level Department or with international organizations such as the AKDN.

We are proud to introduce you to our next young achiever, Armaan Jena , who hails from Chennai and was raised in Pune. Armaan is proud of his multi-faith and multi-cultural background and upbringing. His main goal in life is to contribute to nation building and world peace. Armaan works in Mumbai Port Trust where his focus is on Cruise Tourism in Mumbai and India. Alongside his professional engagement, he is pursuing a Masters in Security and Defence Laws from the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) University in Hyderabad.

In 2012, Armaan earned a Bachelor’s Degree of Business Administration and Management, but found his calling in policy studies and practice instead. He went on to pursue a Masters in Urban Policy and Governance from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) in 2015 which was a turning point in his life. He was also selected for the Maharashtra Chief Minister Fellowship Program with the Government of Maharashtra. During his fellowship he was deployed at the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) Undertaking and Department of Transport and Ports at Mantralaya where he contributed to transportation pilot projects such as electrification of buses in Mumbai and equitable mobility initiatives in Pune.

Armaan believes in the transformational value of lifelong learning as a pathway towards self-development and the achievement of goals. He endorses a multi-disciplinary approach to education as it lends one a unique perspective and a diverse skill set.

Our third youth achiever is none other than Roohi Patel, from Ahmedabad, who is currently working as a professional with the Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) Cooperative Federation . Inspired by her father’s volunteer work with the Aga Khan Social Welfare Board for Tanzania and her mother’s efforts to empower entrepreneurial women in the community, Roohi decided to pursue a professional career in the field of development. When she graduated from college, Roohi also got selected for the SBI Youth for India Fellowship in 2018, through which she worked in Orissa with the NGO Gram Vikas to assist tribal women in creating sustainable market linkages for their micro-enterprise of handmade soaps.

Roohi’s exhilaration on successfully helping these tribal women pay back a loan and the appreciation she received for her phenomenal work sparked her passion to continue working for the empowerment of women. Subsequently in 2019, Roohi joined the SEWA Federation to further her work in this space. Roohi aspires to pursue a Masters Degree in public policy, through which she hopes to acquire skills that will help her continue making a difference in the communities around her. She strongly believes that observing and learning from senior professionals and being patient at every step of her journey has been instrumental in helping her further her work.

We are proud to celebrate the phenomenal achievements of our youth achievers and we hope that their leadership, dedication, and determination will encourage more young professionals to pursue their passion and to ignite change and inspire others!

https://the.ismaili/india/igniting-chan ... -youth-day

UAE youth explore Aga Khan Award for Architecture sites

A group of young students from the Middle East Jamat had the chance to visit a series of architectural works and explore how the study of architecture can help to better understand the beliefs, values, technology, and history of various civilizations.

At the presentation ceremony for the 14th cycle of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture on 13 September 2019, Mawlana Hazar Imam said, “The simple answer lies in my conviction that architecture — more than any other art form — has a profound impact on the quality of human life. As it has often been said, we shape our built environment and then our buildings shape us.”

Living in the UAE means having many prestigious architectural sites in your own backyard, which is not only a blessing but an opportunity; a window just waiting to be explored.

In late 2019, youth in the UAE Jamat were given the opportunity to explore two sites in Sharjah, UAE: Al Mureijah Art Spaces, which was nominated for the Award, and Wasit Wetland Centre, which is one of the 2019 Award winners. Additionally, youth from Bahrain had the opportunity to visit the Revitalisation of Muharraq, also a 2019 Award winner. Through this visit, the participants were able to experience the beauty of merging architecture and nature.

After visiting the Wasit Wetlands, one of the young participants commented: “This site shows a relation between man and nature. It strengthens the understanding of this peaceful and unconditional relationship.”

While preparing for this truly unique and remarkable experience, participants also gained an understanding of the role of architecture and architectural conservation, as reflected in the efforts of the Award, which was initiated by Mawlana Hazar Imam in 1977. The aim is to identify and reward architectural concepts which address the needs and aspirations of Muslim societies in the areas of contemporary design, social housing, community development, restoration and conservation, landscape design, and environmental improvement.

Participants expressed that such experiential excursions gave them a platform to acquaint themselves with the projects of the Award, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, and the Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme. Another participant commented that this helped them to “…understand how architecture is a symbol of ethical values and how important it is for youth to be ambassadors and create awareness of these spaces that can benefit the community.”

Parents were equally excited about their childrens’ increased awareness of the AKDN organisational structure and the existence of many other relevant institutional facets within.

“We have always wanted to learn about the Aga Khan Trust for Culture and the Aga Khan Award for Architecture, and today the youth have given us a reason to visit these spaces and learn more about them. Our youth have encouraged us to visit and familiarise ourselves with the value, rationale and appreciation for architecture, and the importance of preserving cultural heritage,” said one parent.

“Preserving cultural identity can be done in the simplest ways such as aligning with the heritage of our community and familiarising ourselves with these different projects to witness their impact on the quality of lives of the people living around them.”

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... ture-sites
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Camp emPower: Empowerment through Ethics

Youth pilot program for skill-building, fitness, and intergenerational empathy.

When 15-year-old Ariana Karim first registered for Camp emPower, a virtual pilot program launched during the coronavirus pandemic by the Ismaili Council for Southeast USA, she thought to herself, “What will we actually do? How can we learn and have fun at an online camp?”

Like many other participants her age, Ariana was doubtful and thought that the camp would be boring. But her experience, which mirrored that of her peers, was quite the opposite and surpassed all her expectations. She recounts, “I would just like to say that it was a super successful camp. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I would definitely do it again, hands-down. It was amazing.”

What made Camp emPower such an enjoyable and unique experience for the youth?

It started with a vision to have an interactive program for high school students designed under the ethical framework of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN). Three institutions in the Southeast Region: Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Board, Aga Khan Youth and Sports Board, and the Aga Khan Education Board, collaborated to make this vision a reality.

“The core of it is to get the young individuals of our Jamat to really live the ethics of our faith in their everyday lives, the best that they can. And to take those and let them become the guiding principles for their lives, for their future candidacy in college, in school, in their career, etc.,” said Najma Virani, lead of the camp’s Youth Coordinating Forum for the Southeast region.

zahra_bardai.jpg
Participant Zahra Bardai showcasing her artwork.
THE.ISMAILI
Between June 22 and July 3, 2020, the camp enrolled sixty-eight participants and sixteen mentors who engaged in mind, body, and soul-enriching activities. Each morning, participants and mentors joined one large group in Microsoft Teams. They started their day with either a presentation from a distinguished speaker, or a fun ice-breaking activity facilitated by a pair of mentors who energized the participants for the upcoming eventful day.

The large group later broke up into smaller pods where each day, a specific ethic of the AKDN framework was discussed in depth. This judgment-free zone was the most memorable aspect of Camp emPower for some of the participants.

Another notable aspect of Camp emPower was that college-level mentors curated the lesson plans with support from the Local Project Team. The mentors were trained in the art of content building. Despite being delivered virtually, the resulting lesson plans were interactive and relevant to participants while incorporating fundamental AKDN ethics.

Naail Alwani, a mentor, effectively captures why he enjoyed this experience. “I love being a mentor for high school students. I want to help them achieve their goals while living an ethically-balanced life.” He continued, “I certainly plan on keeping in touch with them by following up with them about their goals and what they would like to accomplish not only while they are in school, but also beyond high school and college. When they grow into amazing human beings and adults, I will hear about their wonderful achievements.”

The camp’s curriculum also included a wellness segment, where the participants engaged in either yoga or fitness under the guidance of a professional. The students also participated in skill-building workshops, including 2-D storytelling and bookbinding, photography/Adobe photoshop, performance art and videography, and 2-D design and print. These workshops were led by experts in their respective fields, ensuring the highest quality experience and learning for the participants.

During the camp, the students were awarded the opportunity to use their freedom and creativity to design their unique projects, thereby equipping them with the skills necessary to pursue such a project independently in the future.

One highlight of this camp for both mentors and participants was a Zoom call with some elderly members of the Jamat. The call served to facilitate conversation between the two generations. Additionally, it allowed the participants to practically apply the ethics of compassion, sharing, and empathy that they had explored in the ethics workshop. Many stories were shared by the seniors, such as how they migrated to the United States, how COVID-19 has impacted their lives, and how they continue to stay true to their faith during these trying times.

The challenges of navigating the virtual space were manifold, whether it was finding the correct pod, switching from Microsoft Teams to Zoom, or merely trying to turn on the camera, but in the end, the camp exceeded all expectations and was largely successful. One significant benefit of the virtual nature of this program was that it enabled an unprecedented number of students from across the region to participate together.

The success of Camp emPower is evident in the way it has broken boundaries, re-shaped perspectives, and significantly impacted the lives of everyone involved. This successful pilot program pioneered an inter-regional Camp emPower, which brings together participants from the Southeast and Northeast USA regions.

https://the.ismaili/usa/our-community/c ... ugh-ethics
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili youth take action during coronavirus pandemic

From supporting high school students applying to university, to generating awareness about the pandemic, to distributing personal protective equipment in remote communities, Ismaili youth from around the world have taken action to respond to the coronavirus outbreak.

As the Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted the lives of people around the world, there have been a number of individuals who have stepped up to support those impacted by the virus.

Aleena Ismail (USA)

For many high school students, choosing which university to attend is one of the most difficult decisions they will have made in their lives. When the Covid-19 pandemic began to spread, this challenge was made even more difficult as universities stopped hosting campus tours and information sessions for prospective students.

Without these traditional avenues available, many students were forced to use unreliable online advice forums to learn more about their schools of interest.

This issue sparked Aleena Ismail, a 22-year-old student at Cornell University, to co-found CollegeScope, a free online service that connects high school students with mentors currently attending university. By being connected with a university student mentor, high school students are able to ask questions directly to someone studying at the university they are hoping to attend.

“The idea actually came to me because my own sister is going to start university next year,” said Aleena. “I found myself connecting her to various friends of mine who attended different schools and thought it would be great if I could expand and leverage this network to help even more students.”

As a result of her team’s efforts, over 300 university students from 60 universities have registered to serve as mentors, and to date, 100 mentor matches have already been made. Along with continuing to match high school students with university mentors, Aleena and her team also plan to expand their programming to address other complex areas of the university application process.

Current ideas in consideration include webinars for parents on how the process works as well as essay writing workshops for Grade 12 students.

Once she graduates, Aleena plans to start a career in investment banking. In the future, she hopes to be able to use her skills to support economic empowerment for women in developing countries.

“It is because of my faith that service to humanity has been an essential component of my extracurricular, academic, and career goals,” she said.

Ali Sher Rastari (Pakistan)

Volunteering has long been an integral part of 23-year-old Ali Sher Rastari’s life.

“Since childhood, I have been engaged in volunteer work,” he said. “From being a part of shaheen scouts to doing voluntary work at Jamatkhana, my faith has inspired my desire to help others.”

For the past four years, Ali Sher has led Act of Kindness, an organisation focused on improving the quality of life of people living in Sialkot, Pakistan. When the coronavirus began to have an impact in Pakistan, he decided to pivot his organisation’s work to focus on supporting those affected by the pandemic in his community.

As a first step, he organised awareness campaigns and food drives in Sialkot to ensure that local community members had the knowledge and supplies necessary to most effectively observe physical distancing measures. Together with his colleagues, Ali Sher was also able to collect mask and glove donations to distribute to vulnerable populations in the community.

“One of the ways we spread information about the pandemic was through an online interview with Dr Habiba Thawar from the Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi to answer common questions about the pandemic,” he said.

After the conclusion of their initial awareness and fundraising efforts, Ali Sher and his colleagues realised there was a major shortage of blood and decided to mobilise their friends and families to donate.

“I was so excited and grateful to see the positive responses we received from our donors and community members,” he said.

In the future, the team hopes to continue their work to help others through Iftar donation drives, education campaigns and fundraisers. Ali Sher is currently pursuing a degree in Media Science from the University of Sialkot. After completing his studies, he plans to pursue a career in journalism.

Noah Chow (Canada)

In 2015, 21-year-old Noah Chow was invited to attend the ISTAR Leadership Conference, a national conference for Canadian Ismaili youth to learn more about leadership and community service. His experiences at the conference inspired Noah to start his own non-profit organisation. Having previously volunteered in rural Nepal, he had seen firsthand how a lack of available medical supplies can impact developing nations.

In response to this issue, Noah started Health Matters Worldwide, an organisation which collects unused medical equipment from Toronto-area hospitals and sends them to hospitals in developing countries. Since its inception, the organisation has sent supplies to six countries, including Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Nepal, and China.

When the Covid-19 pandemic started to spread, it became more difficult to send items abroad due to the closure of many international distribution channels. Rather than seeing this as a barrier, Noah realised there was an opportunity to make a difference at home and decided to shift his organisation’s focus to addressing the shortages of medical supplies in Toronto-area hospitals.

Through sourcing donations of unused supplies from facilities and individuals across his community, Noah was able to deliver over 50,000 pairs of gloves and 3,000 N95 masks to hospitals across his province. Along with being featured on various news channels across Canada, several celebrities, including actor Ryan Reynolds and hockey star Haley Wickenheiser, have recognised Health Matters Worldwide for their work and taken to social media to encourage others to donate.

When it becomes possible to do so, Noah plans to restart his work in ensuring that developing countries have access to critical medical supplies.

“Once the world re-opens, we plan to send more supplies abroad,” he said. “We currently have 500 pounds of unused medical supplies waiting to be sent to countries in Africa and Asia”

Noah is currently pursuing a degree in Health Sciences at Wilfred Laurier University. In the future, he hopes to pursue a career in orthopaedic spine surgery.

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... s-pandemic
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Virtual Scout Camporee

The Aga Khan Youth and Sports Board for Pakistan (AKYSBP) organised the first Virtual Scout Camporee on the 27th and 28th of June, 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, restrictions on large gatherings and programmes that require physical presence have been enforced across the country. Utilising technology, this barrier was easily overcome, and Boy Scouts from throughout Pakistan had the opportunity to participate in a National Camporee. AKYSBP Chairman, Mr. Hassan Somani shared, “A Virtual Camporee during the challenging times of COVID-19 not only engaged youngsters from across the country in learning intervention but also enabled all of them to share best practices of the scouting movement.”

A total of 164 Boy Scouts and leaders took part in the virtual event that offered many activities and programmes. Each Boy Scout was required to set up a shelter using materials from home such as blankets and sheets to depict an actual camporee environment. Other activities included an online quiz competition, a logo-making activity and an opportunity to showcase individual Boy Scouts’ humanitarian contributions during quarantine activities at home. Boy Scouts also portrayed their culinary skills by recording themselves cooking and presenting it via video submission to the camporee organizers. Naveed Alam, a participant from Gilgit said, “I ‘arrived’ at the camp not quite knowing what to expect. Joining a virtual camporee was a new experience for me. The most special thing from the camp is the bond I formed with all members. I hope the AKYSBP Scouting Portfolio will come up with more programmes like this to engage us in this time.”

The Virtual Scout Camporee organized information sessions for the Boy Scouts on topics such as financial education, personal finance, entrepreneurship, smart internet utilisation and higher educational opportunities. Several Camporee Patshalas (classrooms) were also set up providing information by experts on topics such as the Aga Khan Development Network’s role, modern scouting, robotics and technology, sustainable development goals, freelancing and the performing arts. The camporee also featured an online campfire wherein Boy Scouts prepared live performances and some shared pre-recorded videos of talent performances with the audience.

The first Virtual Scout Camporee proved to be a success for it was well organized, harnessing various online platforms. Moreover, it brought together Boy Scouts from across Pakistan to share and connect despite the pandemic limitations.

https://the.ismaili/pakistan/programmes ... t-camporee
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Global Encounters virtual camp to be held in December after successful first session

CONNECT, a virtual camp that was brought directly to the homes of 1,075 participants during a 10-day period this July, was an effort to bring the global youth together through creativity and exploration. Due to its success, registration is now open for a second session to be held this December.

Despite many camps being cancelled or rescheduled this past summer, CONNECT was born out of the simple need to gather, explore, and create in the midst of a global pandemic.

“Uniting 1,000 participants in 10 days from all across the world may have seemed a little impossible but Camp CONNECT showed us that when we all come together to do something we love and put all of our time, love, and energy towards it — anything is possible,” said Neelam Makhani, a facilitator from Canada and Global Encounters 2017 alum.

Bringing the theme of community, hope for the future, and a renewed sense of appreciation for technology’s uniting spirit with volunteers from over 350 countries, CONNECT set a new precedent this summer: the simple idea that camps in our Jamat no longer look only to the physical space for deep learning and renewed conversations.

Camp CONNECT was bold in its objective: to provide a virtual space for over 1,000 participants from the global Jamat to connect with their brothers and sisters, have meaningful conversations, and develop lasting relationships.

Aly Remtullah, an associate programme director for CONNECT said, “The global nature of the program allowed our youth to experience the power of pluralism in action by building bonds with one another, learning about our similarities and what makes us unique, and understanding what we can learn from one another.” These bonds were built over AKDN project highlights, entrepreneurship workshops, global virtual family visits, as well as numerous other activities.

While the traditional Global Encounters Camp takes place physically every year, this summer, CONNECT was a step towards an even more inclusive effort, inviting the global youth to spend 10 days with each other exploring the world and their role in it, creating relationships that would last a lifetime, and gathering with their brothers and sisters in a virtual space that transcended any physical barriers. In response to Mawlana Hazar Imam’s words from March 2020, “We must remain strong and prepare to build, and to build well, when this crisis passes,” CONNECT was a trailblazer in uniting the youth of the Jamat into a virtual space surrounded by hope, community, and innovation.

Rahim Rajwani, a volunteer for CONNECT, stated that, “It [was] inspiring to see lifelong friendships being formed and everlasting impacts being made on the youth as they developed new skills virtually from professionals, which will, inshallah, help them achieve their future goals and ambitions.”

Suhailo Mamadniyozova, a facilitator from Tajikistan and alum of the GE program said, “Regardless of the unconventional setting, CONNECT proved to be an effective platform for the greater Jamati demographic and has opened the opportunities beyond one room, one culture, or one community.”

CONNECT proved that when the Ismaili community wants to unite despite physical distance and when the youth of our Jamat want to connect despite borders and oceans separating them, they can and do. CONNECT was an exploration of the potentials within a virtual platform and it proved the simple truth that connections can occur, relationships can develop, and impact can be made, regardless of how far apart we may be.

After the success of the first session of CONNECT, Global Encounters is thrilled to launch another session in December to bring our global youth together. For this session, CONNECT will be partnering with the AKDN on the theme of Climate and Social Action. Registration is open for youth ages 14-17 and will close on 7 November 2020. Visit the Global Encounters website https://the.ismaili/global-encounters to register now.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/institu ... successful
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Now Accepting Video Submissions! GinanGuru YOUTH Mehfil

Ya Ali Madad,

We are hosting the 5th Episode of the Virtual Qasida & Ginan Mehfil and are now accepting video submissions from Ismaili youth 18 years and younger in age for the special edition episode.

This special Youth Edition Mehfil will feature a new set of Qasidas and Ginans recited by some of the youngest members of our Jamat from all around the world. As always, the *LIVE* video performances will be supplemented with the text and translations of the Ginans and Qasidas on screen so viewers are able to follow and sing along, and understand the meanings from the comfort of their homes.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: November 1, 2020 at 11pm (Toronto Time)

Please be sure to follow all the guidelines and instructions listed here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform when submitting your video recitation.

The goal of the Virtual Qasida & Ginan Mehfils is to bring the Jamat together to learn, understand, appreciate, and gain spiritual inspiration from our Qasidas and Ginans. With this special Episode, we will have the future leaders of our Jamat leading the way with all the recitations. Over the past few months, Episodes 1 through 4 featured over 80 reciters of all ages and from 16 different countries! The Mehfils have been viewed over 100,000 times on YouTube and Facebook and have been received very well by the Jamat.

Selected videos will be featured as part of the Youth Mehfil on November 15th, 2020.

Be sure to invite your friends and RSVP on the Facebook event link for future updates. Most importantly, share this wonderful opportunity with any youth who may be interested in being part of this program.

Please help spread the word to youth and parents of youth who may be interested.

With best wishes and prayers,
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

FUNKAAR Winners Announced

The unprecedented nature of COVID-19 has influenced the way youth manage their time. Due to school closures and focus on social distancing in the ‘new normal’, many youth are struggling to invest time in learning a new skill, and some who are able to utilise their time effectively, do not have adequate forums to demonstrate their skills. To address this gap and to promote positive youth development during COVID-19, the Aga Khan Youth and Sports Board for Pakistan (AKYSBP) organised ‘Funkaar’, a national platform for youth to learn and showcase their talents using diverse expressions.

A national initiative, Funkaar encouraged youth aged 12 to 19 years to be creative with a social conscience. The competition had three categories:

- Creating craftwork with used/ recycled material readily available at homes
- Developing low-cost technology applications/gadgets to address a real-world issue and/or enhance the quality of daily life chores.
- Developing Vlogs on social issues that have a significant impact in our lives
Youth from different regions across Pakistan participated in the competition and surprised the judges with their creative ideas and empathy to contribute towards our society. The participants were initially assessed at the regional level and then evaluated at the national level.

After a rigorous, competitive process, we are proud to present the winners of Funkaar in Pakistan!

Photos and names of winners at:

https://the.ismaili/pakistan/programmes ... -announced