The origin of Muslim Names

Discussion on doctrinal issues
german_ismaili_33

The origin of Muslim Names

Post by german_ismaili_33 »

Ya Ali Madad

Does anyone know where the muslim names came from?
Before Aly, Muhammed, Abdullah got Muslims they where called by that name. So for my understanding that are arabian names not muslim names. Does that mean after Prophet Muhammed (sas) all arab names became Muslim names?

Thanks for your answers
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Mowla Ali Madad,
As per Ismailism Prophet Muhammad and Mowla Ali are pious and pure from begnining.
As for the muslim names, I think muslims names are names which are generally kept by muslims. It is not necessary that it should be in Arabic language only nor it is necessary that all arabic names are muslims names. The name should have good meaning. Many compainions of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) changed their names after accepting Islam although their names were in Arabic for example some one named harb (which means war) had changed his name into silm which means peace.
a.salik

Re: The origin of Muslim Names

Post by a.salik »

german_ismaili_33 wrote:Ya Ali Madad<BR><BR>Does anyone know where the muslim names came from?<BR>Before Aly, Muhammed, Abdullah got Muslims they where called by that name. So for my understanding that are arabian names not muslim names. Does that mean after Prophet Muhammed (sas) all arab names became Muslim names?<BR><BR>Thanks for your answers
<BR>don't think there is such thing as a "muslim name". typically, given the historical origins and spread of islam, they have been arabic, persian, turkish etc., but i don't really see an issue with a muslim having almost any name....
star_munir

Re: The origin of Muslim Names

Post by star_munir »

a.salik wrote:
german_ismaili_33 wrote:Ya Ali Madad<BR><BR>Does anyone know where the muslim names came from?<BR>Before Aly, Muhammed, Abdullah got Muslims they where called by that name. So for my understanding that are arabian names not muslim names. Does that mean after Prophet Muhammed (sas) all arab names became Muslim names?<BR><BR>Thanks for your answers
<BR>don't think there is such thing as a "muslim name". typically, given the historical origins and spread of islam, they have been arabic, persian, turkish etc., but i don't really see an issue with a muslim having almost any name....
I think as per Farmans we should have muslim names. For more details you can refer topic "names" in current issues section.