A Momin's Journey to Dubai to see his Imam

Share small ismaili stories

A Momin's Journey to Dubai to see his Imam

Post by Guest »

On Tuesday morning December 9, on the spur of the moment after BK am, I decide that I wanted to go to Dubai and be part of the historic event of permanent JK on the Arabian peninsula. Until 2pm , I was anxiously waiting for a call to confirm my booking. Finally sitting at the IPS office in Kinshasa, I found out to my happiness that the booking was confirmed. In the hot, humid weather we drove towards the Kenyan Airways Office hoping to make it there before closing time. We made it with ten minutes to go.

Wednesday morning started out well. Arrived at the Airport amid all the security, protocol, and individuals all wanting money. With my "protocol" beside me, he breezed us through until we got to the ticket counter for baggage check to get the boarding pass. Take note travelers: two pieces of luggage in the west not exceeding 64 kg is ok. But with Kenya Airways, the ceiling is 40 kg! I had no clue that I would be dinged for an arm and a leg!!! My return ticket clearly showed 2 pieces( also issue by Kenya Airways) but my side excursion ticket showed 40 kg!! So I will not proceed to tell you what happened...... . In any case, waiting and going through the counter, I took a shower of a different kind!

Finally, I went past immigration and douane and sitting in the lounge waiting for the flight to take off. Then the Kenya Airways agent showed up saying that there was a possibility of resolution. I told her that I did not think it worth to go back through immigration and douane. Not to worry, she says, follow me. Well we, reached the baggage counter again and the chief says, sorry no can help.

From frying pan into fire - was stopped at the immigration and douane again and more sweat and another shower. By this time everybody had lined up to board the flight. Unknowingly, one of the agents held onto my ticket.

After being released from the clutches of the immigration and douane, I stand in line. And guess what, the agent appears and hands me my ticket. Now how do you make a judgment of all this!!!!!?

So I go pass the security check and board the craft. By this time I have taken a third shower. I take a seat; "will Mr. Mulji, please identify himself to the purser". Now what?

Well, before the luggage is boarded, you have to identify it! So I went down the aircraft, identified my luggage and boarded the craft once more.

Lift off!!!

Eugenia from Kisangani sat next to me;on her way to India to be trained as a medical assistant. Pleasant conversation in broken French, English and Kiswahili. She asked me whether she could become my secretary in Kinshasa - She was quite serious- Congolese will take every opportunity to better their economic lot. Good company. Gave her a couple of Tylenol for her headache.

I am now sitting in the coolness of the KLM lounge having a meat pie and a bottle of water.It is the 10th of December 6:15 local time

O my Mowla what awaits me in Dubai? Have not made any reservations. A kind "umed" from the Ismaili net wrote to me that he will try to make some arrangements

Signing off now

Checked into the internet again and a message just popped up. It is from Shenaz. Alhammullilah she has provided me with contacts. I write down all the details and I am ecstatic. Flight, after being delayed for 3 hours in Nairobi leaves for Dubai in the coolness of Nairobi's night. At the Airport I met the Ismail family from Pickering/Oshawa. They have been in East and Southern Africa for the past six weeks with their children The children get to see the birthplace of their parents.

Next to me sit a wonderful couple from Kerala now residing in Oman. Abraham and Rachel! Christians long converted form Hinduism by St Thomas. Lively discussion on tolerance, pluralism and we were at peace. Quote from Qur'an on " ... Allah has made you into Nations and Ttribes so that you may know one another...."

Arrival at the Dubai airport. Amazing! Am I in the west?, but then the signs in Arabic make it obvious. From the gate to the passport control, walking, thinking it would never end.

Outside in the coolness the adhan greets me; it is 5 am local time. I show the address of the hotel that Shenaz has sent me to the taxi driver. Riyaz from Kerala and Mansur form Welcoming committee assure me not to worry . Riyaz drops me at the hotel. I call Shiraz at 5:30 am and wake him He says common up!!!

So we share a bed for two hours talking away into the morning. Shenaz who sent me the email is Shiraz;'s niece. Shiraz turns out to be a good friend of Azim my older. So many coincidences happening!!

After breakfast, we head to the City of Gold - hundreds of shops selling jewellery. Shiraz and I went there because we knew we would meet Ismailis from all over!!!
And did we meet people. After a late lunch at the twin towers food court, we head back to the hotel in the hot afternoon sun, weary with tired legs.

A brief rest, a shower, we took a taxi to JK. A huge tent, sitting probably twenty thousand capacity. Such discipline, and without our control, we were seated right in front of the all the mukhis and kamadias in the first line. I have mentioned in my other notes from Kinshasa how I have experienced the multiplicity of rites and rituals. Again, here in Dubai it was different, a wonderful experience. Calm, serene, the Kamadia recited the giryazari tasbih, and how " iman didar nasib kare" was showered upon us repeatedly.

The mandap was fully carpeted, with white and gold curtains from ceiling to ground a height of 30 ft. You all have heard the ginan, Hanspuri Nagre Manhe? Well picture it for Saturday where all the souls have gathered to have union.

And then Kamaludin stood up to deliver a powerful, emotional and inspiring "waez".

A note of concern and humour both with announcements of children being separated from their mothers and groups. Mr so and so , your chacha is waiting for you at such and such place and and a small boy from Iran reports that his mother is lost!

Alnoor Moosa, Ali Suleman, Bhamani, Parin Kassam, Shenaz Alidina, rozmin nathoo, soparo, Gula, Mrs Ajani , yasmin daya, Immi, Zarina Gulamhussein, Meghani and you name the person and they were there. Londoners, Parisians, Torontonians, Montrealers, Calgarians, Vancouverites, Karachians, Mumbains and Kermanians they were all there.

After dua karavi, on our way out, we pass by the stage area and amazingly enough the stage had taken shape in the last two hours.

Registration for the passes went smoothly. Young students were at PCs and volunteers were at their stations. A Jamaat of 1200 looking after 10000!!!! We were told to back in hour, and the cards were ready. So smooth!! Pleasant greetings of Ya Ali Madad and Khushiali Mubarak by the volunteers!

Facilities for seniors, disabled, washrooms, health were all there and they were excellent.

Iranian, Indians, Pakistanis who knows who else I will meet tomorrow. I met Nurudin Aladdini's brother, a look alike. Practiced the little Farsi I know

After jaman ( the organisation was so good, that wait time for food was only five minutes), we head back into the tent; among the small groups had gathered inside the mandap, there would be individuals who would be sharing their knowledge about didar visits.

Shiraz and I stood by the stage area meditating,each in our own thoughts and trying to soak in as much energy as possible.

The music, and raas started soon thereafter.

I met Mahmood, originally from dar and Toronto, head of transportation, who has been here for the last ten years. Iqbal kanani, Sadru Vellani came with their respective groups. Arif Kassam, Shams Kassam were all there

My children, friends and relatives you were all in my thoughts.

Decided to leave early, as we wanted to be in Baitul Khayal the next morning. Shiraz was very ill Thursday night, throwing up. By 3 am he was much better and by the time I came from JK, he was snoring. Alhamdullilah, I had a ginan waro , Ham Dil Khalak - Ya ali maher karo man mahe ant daya kari, aapno didar dejo....- Shukhar.

Members from the Don Mills JK were there and so was gula, mukhi and her son hafiz, gilani, daya and shenaz all from Toronto.

A different announcement caught my ears - women were "prohibited" from coming to Baitul Khyal except for Fridays. It was later explained that this was due to local circumstances.

After a brief nap, had breakfast. Being Friday, everything is closed. I desperately want to send this out but the internet cafe is closed.

Another ten to fifteen thousand are expected today.

It is 1:30 pm local time. Signing off now

Gates open at 11:30 am on Saturday, Intezari is between 3-4. Groundbreaking is in the early pm in the presence of the Emir, the King. Jaman and entertainment is on for until Sunday.

We are hoping that whole Noorani Family will be here on Saturday.

Little tidbits:

There are practically no hotel rooms available, prices are twice the normal with the airshow this weekend and Hazir Imams padhramani. I was told that Prince Rahim was a distinguished gueat at the opening of the airshow