Children in an Ismaili and Non-Ismaili marriage

Past or Present customs and their evolution
Ruya

Children in an Ismaili and Non-Ismaili marriage

Post by Ruya »

Ya Ali Madat.
I am an Ismaili Muslim. Me and a friend were talking, and the subject was of children in an Ismaili/Non Ismaili marriage. My view is that as the child has an Ismaili parent, they have a birth right to our culture and heritage, and religion. But I heard somewhere that they cannot be an Ismaili unless they have a Muslim name as their first name. I am wondering, is this true as it may hold problems in some relationships. For example I would love if my child was an Ismaili-it is their birth right, as I have already said, but I also know some people who would be against them having a Muslim name in the current social climate and more so because he doesn't understand, as I don't why it is necessary for a Muslim name to be the first name of the child. This person is a christian by birth, but a theist by nature.
Can I have some clarification as to the customs surrounding the naming of an Ismaili child in an ismaili and non ismaili marriage and the reasons behind it?
(When I asked someone else they just said for registration purposes...I didn't think that to be an adequate response but felt it wrong to push.)

Many thanks.
Ruya
Virgo2

Post by Virgo2 »

Dear Ruya,

My grandson is an Ismaili but has a biblical name, Jacob. His father, grandparents and our family were present at the bayah ceremony. There was no probalem registering Jacob in Ismaili Tariqah. Even his middle name is not Ismaili.

I was in Syria for a few years, and some Ismailis and other Muslims named their children Judy, Linda, Daniel, Daniella. I believe Daniel is a Muslim name also but sounds caucasian. Judy was a Sunni Muslim and the other three were Ismailis.

Virgo2