Bulleh Shah

Discussion on doctrinal issues
searcher

Bulleh Shah

Post by searcher »

Baba Bulleh Shah, the famous Punjabi Sufi mystic, was inspired by our Ismaili Peer Shams and has referenced him in his work on several occasions. I think from an Ismaili perspective, he should be considered at the same status as Rumi as he might not have been an Ismaili himself but a disciple of an Ismaili. One can say the same about Guru Nanak. Providing below one of the works by Bulleh Shah and if unaware of this fact, one might mistaken this to be the translation of one of our ginans. The striking similarity is remarkable. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan has created his own rendition of this devotional poetry in the form of a Qawwali, "Akhiyaan Udek Diyaan".

"Without you my heart will collapse,
What is the point of my living(without you)?
In my (every) pore, in my (every) vein, the beat of your remembrance is playing.
Come! My eyes are yearning, My heart is shouting out to you.
Come O' foreign one, I plead for the sake of Love.

At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you.

My dear, Since you have been upset with me, even the sound of the
crows, I have forgotten.

I have grown tired of looking at the many trails, I have grown weary
staying alone,
I count every single heartbeat I spend.
Come O' foreign one, I plead for the sake of Love.

O wilful one, do not be neglecting, every piece of mine is coming to
you with love.

Swiftly come dear! My eyes long for you

Countless times I have climbed the terrace and I have come down
countless times.
Neither peace at my heart nor patience in my eyes, Nor do I forget the
lovely appearance.
This love anguishes me and I call to you crying out "finally come
Beloved, Don't go Beloved, You win and I lose!"

Swiftly come dear! My eyes long for you

When the outside wind flows, My heart starts beating. I come looking
whenever the crow speaks.
Shall I inform you of how this separation is killing me?
Come O' distant one, For the sake of Love!

At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you. "
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There is an interesting and beautiful rendering on Bulleh Shah by Abida Parveen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8BgubvXWM

There is also another version of his background as:

Bulleh Shah lived in what is today Pakistan. His family was very religious and had a long tradition of association with Sufis. Bulleh Shah's father was especially known for his learning and devotion to God, raising both Bulleh Shah and his sister in a life of prayer and meditation.

Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening.

The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular stories, some of them even comical -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah! ("The spouse has come to my house...")

Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.

His tomb in the Qasur region of Pakistan is greatly revered today.

Today's poem is a beautiful affirmation of the mystic's ecstatic annihilation in the love of the Eternal. "Like the shadow of a house in ruins..."

You alone exist; I do not, O Beloved!

By Bulleh Shah
(1680 - 1758)

English version by Safir Rammah

You alone exist, I do not!
Like the shadow of a house in ruins,
I revolve in my own mind.
If I speak, you speak with me:
If I am silent, you are in my mind.
If I sleep, you sleep with me:
If I walk, you are along my path.
Oh Bulleh, the spouse has come to my house:
My life is a sacrifice unto Him.
searcher

Post by searcher »

kmaherali wrote:There is an interesting and beautiful rendering on Bulleh Shah by Abida Parveen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8BgubvXWM

There is also another version of his background as:

Bulleh Shah lived in what is today Pakistan. His family was very religious and had a long tradition of association with Sufis. Bulleh Shah's father was especially known for his learning and devotion to God, raising both Bulleh Shah and his sister in a life of prayer and meditation.

Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening.

The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular stories, some of them even comical -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah! ("The spouse has come to my house...")

Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.

His tomb in the Qasur region of Pakistan is greatly revered today.

Today's poem is a beautiful affirmation of the mystic's ecstatic annihilation in the love of the Eternal. "Like the shadow of a house in ruins..."

By Bulleh Shah
(1680 - 1758)

English version by Safir Rammah

You alone exist, I do not!
Like the shadow of a house in ruins,
I revolve in my own mind.
If I speak, you speak with me:
If I am silent, you are in my mind.
If I sleep, you sleep with me:
If I walk, you are along my path.
Oh Bulleh, the spouse has come to my house:
My life is a sacrifice unto Him.
Thank you Karim for sharing this. What a masterful job of describing the concept of Monorealism by Bulleh Shah.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

searcher wrote: Thank you Karim for sharing this. What a masterful job of describing the concept of Monorealism by Bulleh Shah.
Yes indeed, a state of perfect enlightenment where one loses himself and becomes Him.
arifsali2000

Re: Bulleh Shah

Post by arifsali2000 »

searcher wrote:Baba Bulleh Shah, the famous Punjabi Sufi mystic, was inspired by our Ismaili Peer Shams and has referenced him in his work on several occasions. "
Hi searcher, can you please cite some references for me? Thanks.
arifsali2000

Post by arifsali2000 »

kmaherali wrote:There is an interesting and beautiful rendering on Bulleh Shah by Abida Parveen
This playlist at youtube has quiet a few excellent renditions by Abida Perveen.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Qalu Balaa | Life and works of Bulleh Shah | Episode 3

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UznMxsodSRQ
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

DESTROY THE MOSQUE
DESTROY THE TEMPLE
DESTROY WHAT EVER YOU PLEASE
DO NOT BREAK THE HUMAN HEART
FOR GOD DWELLS THERE IN

BULLEH SHAH

YOU HAVE LEARNT SO MUCH
AND READ A THOUSAND BOOKS
HAVE YOU EVER READ YOUR SELF
YOU HAVE GONE TO MOSQUE AND TEMPLE
HAVE YOU EVER VISITED YOUR SOUL
YOU ARE BUSY FIGHTING SATAN
HAVE YOU EVER FOUGHT YOUR ILL INTENTIONS

BULLEH SHAH

A FOR ALLAH WHO HAS MY HEART
I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF B
NOR DO I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS
WHILE A SAVOURS SWEET TO ME
I CAN'T TELL BETWEEN O AND Q
IT MAKES ME DITHER AND DELVE
BULLEH LOOK AFTER THE FIRST
THE REST WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF

BULLEH SHAH
kmaherali

Re: Bulleh Shah

Post by kmaherali »

Abida Parveen Sings Bulleh Shah (english subtitles)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beP-c-W7Ue8

Abida Parveens Bulleh Shah recitations. Main song used is Assan Ishq Namaz. Subtitles define the meaning and are not a word to word translation