VOLUNTEERS - SEVA - SEWA - TKN

Discussion on R&R from all regions
_thaillestlunatic_

VOLUNTEERS - SEVA - SEWA - TKN

Post by _thaillestlunatic_ »

how did seva start? I know Imam SMS established the Volunteer Corps long time ago but what is really better?

Badged Volunteer or Un Badged Volunteer?
kmaherali

Concept of Seva.

Post by kmaherali »

There is a saying of Prophet Muhamad that "Religion is nothing but worship of God and service of his creatures." In this sense SEVA has existed since creation. We tend to think of SEVA in a very narrow sense as serving the Jamat and the Imam of the time either in a recognised form or in an unrecognised form. At its deepest and broadest sense SEVA is the very act of living. If you are thinking and acting righteously as per the Farmans of the Imam, then every moment is an exalted moment of Seva and it can occur in a Jamati context as well as outside the Jamati context.
kmaherali

Princess Zahra Speech on Voluntarism

Post by kmaherali »

Princess Zahra defined the concept of Seva as:

In the Shia Ismaili Muslim tradition, voluntary service to others is viewed as an integral and positive part of daily life, and never as a burdensome obligation or an elective activity. Service is a means for each individual to actualise Islam’s ethics of inclusiveness, of compassion, of sharing, of the respect for life, and of personal responsibility for sustaining a healthy physical, social, and cultural environment.

Generosity is fundamental to this concept of volunteerism: generosity of material resources, of time, of thought and of knowledge. The importance of the donation of time and financial resources is widely recognised. The other two elements are not. Thought helps others to help themselves. Knowledge enables the educated to provide technical information to the less educated on how to meet their own needs better and serve others.

For complete speech click on the link below.

http://www.ismaili.net/timeline/1998/980826b.html
_thaillestlunatic_

so what's better
wearing the uniform? or not?

or Badged VS Unbadged
shamsu

Intention

Post by shamsu »

What is most important is Goodness of Intention.

You want to ask yourself what your intention would be in wearing the uniform or not.

If it meets the definition of Seva and if that is what you are trying to achieve, then do what your heart says is right.
kmaherali

Badged or non Badged Volunteerism

Post by kmaherali »

_thaillestlunatic_ wrote:so what's better
wearing the uniform? or not?

or Badged VS Unbadged
"In our Jamat, for centuries, there has been the most admirable tradition of service and this tradition has existed in times of happiness, in times of difficulty and it has been the pillar in our Jamat, that is, that the spirit of Muslim brotherhood should be made evident, not only in treating each man and each woman as a brother but demonstrating that brotherhood by rendering service, service without remuneration, without recognition, without titles, without social status, simply rendering service." (Edmonton, Mulaqat with Vounteers, April 24, 1983)

From the above Firman, it is quite evident that non badged Seva is better because it does not carry the baggage of status, titles, recognition etc. Having said this, I think it is also important that we deliver our services in the most effective and proficient manner. For this purpose we need a structure which entails office bearers who need to be appointed and accountable for the status of the institutions (which includes the Volunteer Corp). So if you have been appointed in any position, it is important to serve with the best of your ability. By being badged, you are making yourself available to serve within the structure. The key is that the position should not make one proud or feel superior to others otherwise it defeats the purpose of Seva which is to engender humility. The hierarchies should be there only for functional reasons and not for status purposes.

So if you are appointed, it is fine. If not, it is also fine. You should not feel deprived of Seva for not having been appointed. As I mentioned in my earlier post, our concept of Seva is much deeper and broader and there are many ways of serving the Lord.
nargisk3

Post by nargisk3 »

hi..i really don't know what's better, i think they're both good, but i just read this quote on this website today, and it relates to this topic:

"The best form of devotion to the service of God is not to make a show of it. [Maxim]"

-- Hazrat Ali
_thaillestlunatic_

THANK YOU KAHMERALI

this is WHAT I PREFER
unbadged
without recogntion.....

thank you for the quote
i can know feed this info to the ignorant

may MHI blessings be with you Ameen
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

_thaillestlunatic_ wrote:THANK YOU KAHMERALI
You are welcome!

I think the whole Firman is very useful, and indeed all the Firmans made during the Silver Jubliee Year Volunteer mulaqats are worthy of reflection. You can find these in the red book "Kalam-e Imam-e Zaman".
_thaillestlunatic_

YAM, kmaherali and others,

lately i've been arguiging either to wear the uniform or not. Numerous times captainmaa has asked me to wear the uniform, kamadiasaheb has asked 3 times now and I give the answer "I am unbadged, the one who serves Mowla without recognition,titles etc" and still I am confused.
There has to be a reason behind this. I feel maybe Mowla wants me in uniform by telling his appointed kamadiasaheb to stress out the urge to wear uniform. I don't know what to do. I want to serve Mowla with the greatest capability and with humility. But I feel if I wear uniform im going to get my name sent for Mukhi for students or titles and I don't want these titles. Recognition dosen't suit me at all. However, I get more more opportunities to serve if I wear uniform. But with this firman

"In our Jamat, for centuries, there has been the most admirable tradition of service and this tradition has existed in times of happiness, in times of difficulty and it has been the pillar in our Jamat, that is, that the spirit of Muslim brotherhood should be made evident, not only in treating each man and each woman as a brother but demonstrating that brotherhood by rendering service, service without remuneration, without recognition, without titles, without social status, simply rendering service." (Edmonton, Mulaqat with Vounteers, April 24, 1983)

I feel so attached to the unbadged volunteerism. How would you articulate this Kmaherali???? what do YOU feel is better???

Thanks,

--------------
Admin

Post by Admin »

I our community there is space , freedom and need bor bothe badge and un-badged volunteers.

There are some services you can perform only if you have a badge and a title and a position and there are some service you can do only if you don't have the title, the position and the badge :-)

So my suggestion is take the badge, do the sewa required then go home, take out your badge and do all the other sewa you could not do because of the badge :-)

Admin
_thaillestlunatic_

but in some ways I do want the titles because I get MORE opportunities to serve Mowla, but my heart just keeps saying no and no to wearing the badge. So know what?

---------------
karimqazi

seva

Post by karimqazi »

ya ali madad to all

there is a klam it says aache ibadat sab say choopa kar karye kese bande ko naa janaye aapne kudaq so dariye

Ibadath and seva is the same... if you are doing seva while in rememberance of the lord than it is considered ibadath.

in uniform seva you might feel proudness this is because your ego (nafas) likes it. So every seva which is done in privacy and not to "show off" to anyone is the best kind of seva.

May mowla grant you a deeper understanding of seva which something else which I cannot discuss here.

Ya Ali Madad
Karim Qazi
alinizar313

Post by alinizar313 »

_thaillestlunatic_ wrote:YAM, kmaherali and others,

lately i've been arguiging either to wear the uniform or not. Numerous times captainmaa has asked me to wear the uniform, kamadiasaheb has asked 3 times now and I give the answer "I am unbadged, the one who serves Mowla without recognition,titles etc" and still I am confused.
There has to be a reason behind this. I feel maybe Mowla wants me in uniform by telling his appointed kamadiasaheb to stress out the urge to wear uniform. I don't know what to do. I want to serve Mowla with the greatest capability and with humility. But I feel if I wear uniform im going to get my name sent for Mukhi for students or titles and I don't want these titles. Recognition dosen't suit me at all. However, I get more more opportunities to serve if I wear uniform. But with this firman

I feel so attached to the unbadged volunteerism. How would you articulate this Kmaherali???? what do YOU feel is better???

Thanks,

--------------
Before we go into the argument of the adoption of either Badge and Non Badege Seva , one should know clearly the meaning of Sewa . Sewa is also called Khidmat or Services.
Normally whoever do the khidmat , we say him ‘sevant’ or ‘Nauker’ or’ Khadim’ ( In Urdu ). When the word Khadim comes in our mind, it creates an antonyms ( Opposite word ) and that is Seth or Maalik.. Therefore the one who serves is Khadim and to whom we serve is Seth or Maalik. Seth will be on top and Khadim will be on bottom. Seth is superior with respect to Khadim and Khadim is inferior with respect to Seth, Khadim will carry out all
Orders given by Seth. Sometimes Khadim has to drop himself to the humiliating position because his object is to keep his Maalik happy. Now what does it imply?. It shows that whenever one serves the jamat or Imam, he should think himself nothing, he should be humble while serving. The main object we achieve by doing seva is nothing but to develop humility in ourselves and that will really help you in your spiritual progress. “ It will be given to you in Humility” (BUK) . Now you are either badged or non-badged sevadhari, believe me it doesn’t make any difference. The real thing is to serve with Honesty and
Humility. We say it creates proud when we work with badge but I think that is your real test that how can you keep humility and kill your ego while in uniform and when people praise and appreciate your work. How can you take anything in your heart and how much you educate yourself to keep the highest level of service is important. “ ek kotri ma besi
Ne dhiyan lagarvo kaain mushkil nathi , parn maranso ma rahi ne dhiyan lagavoo a moti himat chhaiy (BUK ). Always be careful in your attitude when you are serving especially at some higher position in Jamat and when some members are working under you.
If you think that these people are nothing before me and I am enjoying the highest position, then this service will be harmful for you instead of taking benefit from it; That is why it is very sensitive matter to serve the jamat or Imam. It either takes you to the highest level of Humanity or sometime it drops you to the lowest level of animity.

Ragarding Seva, there are two types ( or two school of thought ), When seva is carried out by
Nauker for his Maalik, the former does so for some incentives or remunerations while the same is done by a child for his father for nothing. As we are the spiritual children of our beloved Imam then we should come under later categories that is seva without incentives.
But honestly speaking what we do normally. Here we did seva and go to Mukhi Saheb for Dua. Even Dua is also incentive. Mowla knows what you are doing and he will give you Ajer
Or Badla. Don’t worry.
_thaillestlunatic_

I thank you for clearing that matter up
so then which one would YOU prefer? badged or nonbadged
but again wearing the badged uniform u get more opportunities to serve the Imam
aminL

Post by aminL »

Personally I am a badged volunteer but the fact that I wear a tie and a badge does not mean that I am humble in my seva. If you really want to do seva in my opinion, you should not need any titles you should not be recognized for it, you should do it out of absolute love and affection for the house of Ali and Nabi. Just my opinion
alinizar313

Post by alinizar313 »

Personally speaking it is really very difficult to keep oneself away from the reputation, fame and humility. I will describe you different case history in my friend circle.
The first one worked for our community at various position for about thirty years. She preferred these seva over her own family life. The result was she is illiteral but still she can read the firman. She can recite around 120 Kalam from Kalam-e-Mowla by heart. with esoteric meaning. She recites the full firman # 160 (Usool-e-Din), Firman # 125 (Aamal ni Pakizgi) from K.I.M !, Roohani Raz (firmam of S.M.S) ,Gaver-e-Rehmat and 313 Firmans by heart. I can’t say further about her but she is at very high stage of Spirituality.
The second one used to be very much involves in spiritual matter and has excellent knowledge about our faith. Then what happened. He was offered a post to serving in our jamati Institution and he accepted and kept progressing and achieving higher post in different field. Now if you meet him, he is totally different man. He has got proud, ego in his nature. Somtimes if he is not offered to come forward and sit in front seat, he minds.
When we talk on certain subject, he will try to persuade his viewpoint and laughs that you don’t know about this. You are not matured enough something like that. I wondered what happened to him.
“Gaam ma moto kehvaoo ane marnso mari salah leva aawaiy” ( K.I.M !)
The more you want people to know how wonderful you are, the less great you will be.
Basically there are three types of desire (Hawas in Urdu and Waasna in Gujrati)
Desire of woman (or Man) and children
Desire of wealth
Desire of fame
The most dangerous out of these three is Desire for fame. There is no other desire is dangerous than the one to do good for the mankind. There is a tremendous amount of “Abhiman” ego lying in that person and it is very difficult to remove because that angel like personality think that he himself is perfectly right and further the person other than him also think him real true or perfect. ( This phenomenon is called “Lokesheran.”).That is why mowla says “Potanaiy kaain nehi samjvo gharoon mushkil chhaiy”. Similar thing happened with Prophet Moses. We should be more careful about inner satan than outside.
Similar thing happen when you will be at higher level of spirituality and imparting knowledge to your fellow brother and sometimes it comes in our mind that I am superior than all who is listened to me. Azazil is another example.
So my fellow brother and sister, keep in mind all these points while doing khidmat. Always consider oneself nothing. Whatever I am doing is nobody but Mowla and He give credit to me for the work done by Him actually. Educate yourself.
_thaillestlunatic_

YAM alinizar313,

thank you for imparting your knowledge it really makes me happy to see
us working together callborately. May MHI bless you with his eternal
light every second of your existence, and accept all your khidmat. Ameen

your post and story was really interesting it made me think again. My
ultimate intention is to serve Mowla best. I think I want higher
responsibilities and if I want that, I am going to wear the uniform
because non badged volunteers get nowhere with regards to titles in khanas here. Inshallah I will be able to serve Mowla to the best of my
abilities.

------------
kmaherali

Relative Importance of Titles

Post by kmaherali »

I just read this in today's History section, which I felt was pertinent to this forum and gives perspective on the relative importance of recognition and titles.

1954, September 8: Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah bestowed on Kassim Ali Paroo the title of Count and cabled his message on September 8, 1954 that, “I have much pleasure in giving you the title of Count for your devoted services with best blessings, but the highest title you have is that of Honorary Missionary.”
ShamsB

Service

Post by ShamsB »

Service should be such that one shouldn't even realize that one is serving...one should strive to live a life wherein the outcome of every activity in life should be service...in short..we shouldn't make detours to do service...our life should be service..no special efforts needed...
kmaherali

A Priest's Job Promotion

Post by kmaherali »

MHI on numerous occasions has emphasised the futility of chasing after titles and positions. The following anecdote which has been construed as a joke, serves to illuminate this and conveys the relative insignificance of positions and titles in a hierarchy of a religious institution very similar to our Jamat.

A Priest's Job Promotion

A Catholic priest and a rabbi were chatting one day when the conversation turned to a discussion of job descriptions and promotions.

"What do you have to look forward to in terms of being promoted?" asked the rabbi.

"Well, I'm next in line for the Monsignor's job," replied the priest.

"Yes, and then what?" asked the rabbi.

"Well, next I can become a bishop."

"Yes, and then?"

"If I work real hard and do a good job as bishop, it's possible for me to become an archbishop."

"OK, then what?"

Exasperated, the priest replied, "With some luck and real hard work, maybe I can become a cardinal."

"And then?"

Growing angry, the priest responded, "Well, with lots and lots of luck and some real difficult work, if I'm in the right places at the right times and play my political games just right, maybe, just maybe, I can get elected Pope."

"Yes, and then what?"

"Good grief!" shouted the priest. "What do you expect me to become, GOD?"

"Well," responded the rabbi, "One of our boys made it!"
kmaherali

Quote on Seva - Rumi

Post by kmaherali »

Never, O wolf, play at being a fox,
performing service in order to gain power;
rush into the fire like a moth:
don't hoard service, play for love!

-Mathnawi [V, 472-473]
From Jewels of Remembrance, by Rumi, selected and translated by Camille and Kabir Helminski, © 1996

The smallest things become great when God requires them of us; they are small only in themselves; they are always great when they are done for God, and when they serve to unite us with Him eternally.
-Francois Fenelon

The pure Tzaddikim (righteous people), do not complain against wickedness but add righteousness. They do not complain against disbelief but add faith. They do not complain against ignorance but add wisdom.

- Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook

If given with love, a handful is sufficient.
-Telugu Proverb

Give of yourself...
you can always give something, even if it is only kindness...
No one has ever become poor from giving.

- Anne Frank, "The Diary of a Young Girl"

The only foundation stone of practice is renunciation.
The only gateway of practice is faith.
The only approach to practice is compassion.

-Jamgon Kontrul, Creation and Completion
Copyright Wisdom Publications 2001. Reprinted from Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations
kmaherali

Quotes on Seva

Post by kmaherali »

Whatever happiness is in the world has arisen from a wish for the welfare of others; whatever misery there is has arisen from indulging selfishness.

-Buddhist Proverb
From Agape Love: A Tradition Found in Eight World Religions by Sir John Templeton, © 1999.

A man served God for seventy years and then committed a sin which canceled the merit of his service. Afterwards he gave a loaf of bread to a poor man, so God pardoned his sin and gave him back the merit of his seventy years’ service. His alms are vain who does not know that his need of the reward for giving is greater than the poor man’s need of the gift.

-Muslim Saying
From Agape Love: A Tradition Found in Eight World Religions by Sir John Templeton, © 1999.
kmaherali

SEVA Quotes

Post by kmaherali »

Verse from Ginan: Satgur Padharya Tame Jaagjo

ejee man ne maaro to gur kahe mane malo,
raakhu(n) maaraa tanaddaa maa(n)he ttaa(n)kee jee;
heeralo aaveo taaraa haath maa(n),
jo jo veeraa ginaan veechaaree;
vannaj kare te vehevaareeo,
laeene na aape te deevaaree-o................................4

The Guide says: if you subdue your passions, you may come to Me, and I shall keep you close to My side. A diamond comes into your hands, brother, when you reflect upon His wisdom: he who deals with it is an honest trader, but he who does not deliver what he has borrowed becomes bankrupt.

Honor and cherish the devas as they honor and cherish you; through this honor and love you will attain the supreme good. All human desires are fulfilled by the devas, who are pleased by selfless service. But anyone who enjoys the things given by the devas without offering selfless acts in return is a thief.

-Bhagavad Gita 3:11-12
Excerpted from The Bhagavad Gita, translated by Eknath Easwaran
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Rather than persistence in service, service consists of courtesy. Observance of courtesy in the course of service is better than service itself.

-Munazil in Attar: Tadhikirat, 541
From The Wisdom of Sufism, compiled by Leonard Lewisohn
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

A person should be more concerned with spiritual than with material matters, but another person's material welfare is his own spiritual concern.

- Rabbi Israel Salanter
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Some offer wealth; others offer sense restraint and suffering. Some take vows and offer knowledge and study of the scriptures; and some make the offering of meditation. Some offer the forces of vitality, regulating their inhalation and exhalation, and thus gain control over these forces. Others offer the forces of vitality through restraint of their senses. All these understand the meaning of service and will be cleansed of their impurities.

-Bhagavad Gita 4:28-30
Excerpted from The Bhagavad Gita, translated by Eknath Easwaran, copyright 1985.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

We must not only give what we have; we must also give what we are.

-Cardinal Mercia
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

The good cause

“The best servant does his work unseen.”

-Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809-1984)

Seva is a Sanskrit word which means self-less service. This is serving without condition, without expectation of recognition or reciprocation. This is the most pure form of service. When we give of ourselves, with all of our heart, just for the sake of giving, this is when we do the most good.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

A hundred times a day I remind myself
that my inner and outer life depend
on the labors of other men,
living and dead,
and that I must exert myself in order
to give in the measure as I have received
and am still receiving.

- Albert Einstein