Ismailism A Missionary Faith?

Recent history (19th-21st Century)
SimurghMI

Ismailism A Missionary Faith?

Post by SimurghMI »

Salam Alaykum

I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer. In the past (specifically in the time of the Fatimid’s and the Alamut period) the Ismaili faith appeared to have been very missionary oriented. You could find Dais (like Nasir Khusraw for example..) traveling from o­ne end the earth to the other spreading the faith and bringing people to the banner of the Imam’s. Why is this no longer the case * ? I'm assuming that after the fall of Alamut missionary work may have been cut back because of fear of oppression but is that fear still a reality in most of the world and is that what is holding back Ismaili missionary work or is there some other factor I haven't taken into consideration :?:

* I’m asking this because I noticed a person here who said something to the effect that Ismailis “do not ask you to join their religion” and because others have commented on how hard it is to become an “official” Ismaili

Thanks you
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I think Dawa changes with time. The scale and methods will vary according to the needs of the time. At present the emphasis is more on creating a pluralistic and tolerant society rather than proselatising and inviting people into our faith. Instead of asking people to join our faith we encourage them to practce their own faith and ethics. The emphasis is on shared values and principles rather than doctrinal differences.
SimurghMI

Post by SimurghMI »

Thank you for the response.