Shukarvari Beej

Discussion on R&R from all regions
layla

Shukarvari Beej

Post by layla »

Does anyone from E.Africa recall hearing a Hidayat/Guidance read out in Jamat khanas back in the early 60's or 70's saying that Mowla has approved the Shukarvari Beej to be from 6a.m. to 6 p.m? -- or did this time frame of observing the Shukarvari Beej start when we came to the West?

Also does anyone remember a Talika being read out saying the "...Shukarvari Beej is obligatory and must be observed by all unless for medical reasons?"
kmaherali

Beej

Post by kmaherali »

I have been told of an incident where MHI was approached by one of the leaders in East Africa about Bakshamni of Beej. MHI asked him, "How often does it happen?" The leader responded "Two times per year". MHI said that in that case there is no Bakshamni!
Admin

Post by Admin »

I have heard for the last 40 years or so in Africa and Canada Jamat Khanas the reading of the text that said "Shukarwari Beej is compulsory as per Mowlana Hazar Imam's Hidayat."

I don't recall it as a Talika but al-Waez Amirali Amlani confirmed to me that a Hidayat came through the then Supreme Council who sent a circular to all Jamatkhanas that these were the Hidayat from Hazar Imam [Shah Karim's time].

More on Shukarwari Beej at:

http://sun.ismaili.net/re/page58.html

Admin
Last edited by Admin on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
nagib

Post by nagib »

"Bij thawer méra karo to outaro péhlo par.."

ginan: "Satgour
Shams ém boliya"
layla

shukarvari beej

Post by layla »

The announcement about Beej being "Obligatory" has also been discontinued here in Toronto.

Any views about the fast being from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.?

And what about 12 pahor? doesn't that mean 36 hrs?
_thaillestlunatic_

fasting 365 days a year

Post by _thaillestlunatic_ »

YAM layla,

I remember reading a farman from KIM in which Imam SMS says
to fast 365 days a year from having not one single impure thought. To me, this is the fast of the Ismailies. If fasting from 6 am to 6pm is what u believe is fasting which it is for Muslims, but I think the real tough fast is that everyday. I also remembering reading here, when someone approached Imam SMS and asked how come we dont say namaz 5 times or day, and how come we don't fast during ramadhan. The Imam went on to say then I make it compulsory upon u to say the namaz 5 times a day and fast everyday during ramadhan. I think nagib is right about it being discontinued here in Toronto, I hope I didn't offend ya with my views on it.

Going back to the question, it is compulsory that we fast on Beej as it comes only twice a year. I think the time u stated from 6 am to 6pm is right well according to my beliefs. hope this helps

MAM
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

It should be a matter of concern if the announcement is not made about Beej being obligatory. We may be compromising an important aspect of our tradition.

As for the issue about 6.00am - 6.00pm, I heard from Alwaez Amlani that it was instituted on the basis of "Ghat bakshe Shah Pir Bakshe". Hence anything accepted by Mukhi is accepted by the Shah Pir.

Well it is only an issue of 2-3 more hours. So one can always wait for that time if one does not have confidence in Mukhi's decision. I am sure the Mukhis or whoever was responsible for this decision did not make it lightly.

The geographical diversity of our Jamat gives us a basis for evaluating the appropriateness of this decision. I would think about what is happening elsewhere and make that personal decision.
_thaillestlunatic_

maybe this verse from Slokko Motto can help:

satgur kahere: hete-j khaann maa(n)hethee te neepnaa
aaj chak fad vellaa maa(n)he jaann
shukravaaree beej nu farmaan chhe
peer hasan kabeerdeen tenu naam re............173

The True Guide says: It is entirely for sake of love that He created from the origin. Today in the time of intrigue and inspection. There is a farmaan to fulfil the fast of shuravaaree beej and it was made by Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen.

I guess it is obligatory after all,

YAM
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

_thaillestlunatic_ wrote:There is a farmaan to fulfil the fast of shuravaaree beej and it was made by Peer Hassan Kabeerdeen.

I guess it is obligatory after all,

YAM
This is a good point. This Farmaan has not been superseded by any other Farman on this matter.
Last edited by kmaherali on Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shamsu

36 hr Beej

Post by shamsu »

YAM Layla,

12 (baar) poriya beej is what it is called and it was obligatory from Pir Hasan Kabirdeen's time to Imam Aly Shah Dataar's time when he made a farman to change it to only Friday Beej.

If you read Imam SMS Chandraat farman "Tae devas Naya chand no cche, tae sukh ane ruhani shanti utpan karae......"

When chandraat falls on friday its like doubly beneficial to do bandagi that day.

The 12 poriya beej is supposed to prepare you for this doubly important bandagi time 4-5 on Friday morning.

There are some who keep this type of beej even now.

The funny thing is that most of the jamat is feeding their face like I did this morning between 4-5am on Beej day.

Shams
layla

Post by layla »

Shamsu, you said "12 (baar) poriya beej is what it is called and it was obligatory from Pir Hasan Kabirdeen's time to Imam Aly Shah Dataar's time when he made a farman to change it to only Friday Beej. "

I have searched for this apparent Farman, but have not yet found it anywhere. You are not suggesting, that this beej was obligatory only during Pir Hassan Kabirdin's time, are you?

Does anyone have this Farman of Imam Ali Shah?

If we go as per the Ginan, then, it should be 12 pahor, meaning 36 hours, infact if i remember correctly, the verse also tells us that when we have to "break" the fast in between, but only on "ardho aahar" - meaning eat lightly, not "stuffing our faces with parotha and yogurt during bandagi time" which unfortunately has now become a norm.

Furthermore, if we refer to this verse :
satgur kahere: sehej daan-j deejee-e
ane deeje satgur mukhe jaann
vallee gat maa(n)he shukravaaree beej chhoddsho
to paamsho moksh deedaar.......................179

The True Guide says: Offer only pure charity and do it in the presence of the True Guide. After that if you break the fast of shukravaaree beej in JamatKhana, you will attain the Vision and salvation.

Then the question about the beej being from 6 a.m. to 6p.m or as Kmaherali said... "Ghat bakshe Shah Pir bakshe" -- or rather "as per Mukhi's wishes", seems very ???.
How far, is "convinience" vs "conviction" going to dilute our faith?
kmaherali

Beej - Convenience vs conviction

Post by kmaherali »

YAM Layla,

I am inclined to agree with you on the concerns you have raised. That we should not allow minor conveniences to erode our deeply rooted convictions. That as far as possible we should not compromise the integrity of our traditions and maintain them in their pristine and original form as far as possible, unless there is an absolute need to do so. Otherwise we will not have any traditions at all!

Having said the above, I think we should also bear in mind Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah's following statement regarding the flexibility of Ismailism in his memoirs.

"Ismailism has survived because it has always been fluid. Rigidity is contrary to our whole way of life and outlook. There have really been no cut and dried rules; even the set of regulations known as the Holy Laws are directions as to method and procedure and not detailed orders about results to be obtained."

On this particular issue about the change of the Beej from 12 pahors to 4, it is inconceivable to me that it would have been possible to introduce such a drastic change without the sanction of the Imam. Even a minor change of breaking the fast at 6.00pm as opposed to doing it in the Gat is raising a lot of concerns ( which is good, it shows that we do not want to tamper with our traditions). What about a change of 8 pahors? How could such a drastic change be accepted by the Jamat without the Imam's approval, given that in those days the Jamat was quite particular in observing all its traditions?
shamsu

Farman

Post by shamsu »

YAM Layla,

I have read this Farman of Imam Aly Shah Dataar.

It is just a matter of finding it so that I can quote it to you.

Hopefully soon

Shams.
layla

Post by layla »

thanks for the reply Kmeharali -- my only concern is that sometimes as history has shown, our man-made changes have been a source of "convenience" as opposed to the conviction -- the real instructions of our Pirs.
What I had been told by a senior missionary is that, at one point in our recent history (1960's-70's) the mukhis had gotten into a habit of "bakshamni of the beej" and it was then, that a Hidayat was read out in J.K's stating that beej is obligatory, and only the very young, pregnant women and the sick were exempt from observing it. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this Hidayat -- but have spoken to many from e.africa, who claim that they've all heard this announcement in e.africa.
You mentioned "drastic changes" -- well, you know they do happen every so often, e.g. arabati and bando and then the cycle of change just stopped.
I wonder if the same was true for the change from 12 pohors to 4 pohors?

Shamsu, when you find the farman, can you please scan and send me a copy? The farman will definately clear a lot of my questions.
Thanks
ShamsB

Re: fasting 365 days a year

Post by ShamsB »

_thaillestlunatic_ wrote: Going back to the question, it is compulsory that we fast on Beej as it comes only twice a year. I think the time u stated from 6 am to 6pm is right well according to my beliefs. hope this helps

MAM

FYI.
Beej Fasting is only practised by Ismailies...this has nothing to do with the other muslims...
_thaillestlunatic_

YAM Shams,

yes I know it has NOTHING to do with the other interpretations of islam. I just related it to dua vs namaz. Imams word is final, I think you misunderstood me I was trying to say it is compulsory on us. I never related beej with the other muslims.
prince_visram

Why do we fast

Post by prince_visram »

Why do we fast on Shukarvaari Beej.. I am fasting but I do not know the reason behind it. If someone can share their thoughts, that would be great..! Thanks!
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Kamaluddin missionary has mentioned in his book of rites and ceremonies that
In Karta yug, there was fast on Monday on 11th date of moon
In Treta yug, there was fast on Tuesday on 14th date of moon
In Duwapur yug, if there was Tuesday and 15th date of moon, it was the day of fasting.
In Kalyug fasting is when there is Friday and Chaandraat.

Abualy has mentioned in Ismaili Tariqah volume 1 "this fasting is to thank God for the religion of Islam and for Pir Hassan Kabirdin who gave the sawab of all his ibadat to the jamat of whole world till the last day. It commences after taking holy niaz in morning and broken with holy niaz after evening prayers."

However Shukarwari beej is mentioned in Ginans of Pir Shams as well.
There is a ginan which tells the story of Pir Shams taking test of the jamat of that time during last days of his life. The ginan is popularly called as janazo with first line farman kari nar ji boliya....
The fasting that has been mentioned in this Ginan is may be beej but I am not sure whether the fast that is mentioned in this Ginan is of beej or not.
prince_visram

Post by prince_visram »

star_munir wrote: However Shukarwari beej is mentioned in Ginans of Pir Shams as well.
There is a ginan which tells the story of Pir Shams taking test of the jamat of that time during last days of his life. The ginan is popularly called as janazo with first line farman kari nar ji boliya....
The fasting that has been mentioned in this Ginan is may be beej but I am not sure whether the fast that is mentioned in this Ginan is of beej or not.
Wow! Thank you soo much! Does anyone have the translation for this Ginan? It is located here (http://ismaili.net/heritage/node/3911) in our Ginan section but there is no translation.

I believe I have heard the story however..does it go something like this? My Nani used to tell me it:

Pir Shams was in the forest and telling the community members that he wanted to have any Jamat member to sacrifice any part of there body for him to eat and until they do he won't come out of the forest or eat (of course this is just a test). The Jamat were only talking within the community about it and almost like backbiting behind about him but no one listened. Only weeks later a blind man was informed about this, and as soon as he got to know he went into the forest right away with a knife ready to sacrifice any part of his body. The Pir was glad that someone was a true Murid, and only then Pir Shams realized that how much love there was from the rest of the Jamat - he was really disappointed. As soon as the blind man came to the Pir, the Imam of that time came on a horse into the forest and the blind man could see thanks to the Imam's Deedar. At that moment, the man got a glimps of the Imam and then the Imam disappeared. The blind man ran out of the forest screaming, "I can see! I can see!". When Pir Shams came to the city he was disappointed with the rest of the Jamat so told them that as a punishment they would have to bury him alive. Although the Jamat were sad about this they had to as it was his order.

I believe that is how the story goes and if it is from this Ginan it would be an interesting comparison. Also someone please confirm this story. Thanks and waiting to see if anyone has the translation of this Ginan.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

prince_visram wrote:I believe that is how the story goes and if it is from this Ginan it would be an interesting comparison. Also someone please confirm this story. Thanks and waiting to see if anyone has the translation of this Ginan.
Below is the translation of the Ginan which seems to vindicate the story. It is taken form Songs of Wisdom and Circles of Dance by Tazim R. Kassam.

faramana kari narajl bollya tame sambhalo plra shamasa vata
The Coffin (Janajo)

Giving an order (farman), the Lord said:
"Listen, Pir Shams! Go amidst the following (jama at) today
and administer a test of faith (iman)."

Pir Shams replied:
"Listen, O Shah! I will demand
from the gathering (gat)
whatsoever it is you wish."

"Ask for bread made of kdthd1 flour
and order human flesh;
Whoever submits flesh will attain
the abode of Heaven (vaikuntha)."

Then Pir Shams departed
and arrived at Uchh in Multan;
All followers assembled and prostrated:
"O GurujI, your wish is our command!"

"Offer only what is within your means
and be of steadfast mind;
But if you prepare some food for me,
I will bestow heartfelt blessings (asisa)."

Pir Shams then said:
"Listen, O Gathering of followers (gat jama'at)] I
require of you only this for which
I shall bestow heartfelt blessings!"

"Bring to me some bread made of katha flour
and fetch me some human flesh;
The one who gives this flesh will attain
a dwelling in Heaven."................ 7

Stunned, the gathering discussed this:
"Who will give up their own flesh?
Pir Shams will save the resolute, but who, indeed,
dares to go near the Pir?"........... 8

Pir Shams sat down with a rosary to pray:
"O Saheb, preserve my honor (laj)!"
For seven days he kept fast (roza), and nobody
dared to go near the Pir............. 9

Then a blind mendicant arrived
and promptly sat down in the prayer-house;
"Take your gold dagger in your hand
and feast upon my flesh!"........... 10

"Your offer has satisfied me.
Auspicious (dhanya) that moment, blessed that night!
That day when you were born!
Great, indeed, shall be your fortune!".......... 11

Then Qasim Shah himself appeared
and began the rite of Holy Water (ghatpat);
He brought a cupful of Light (nur),
and Pir Shams accompanied him................. 12

Pir Shams said:
"Listen, O my Lord!
In the prayer-house is a blind sage;
deliver him into Divine Light (nur ilahi)!"...............13

[The Shah gave the blind mendicant the cup]2;
He drank the cupful of Light (nur)
and lo! he witnessed the entire universe!................... 14

Then Pir Shams said:
"O Blind Ascetic, listen!
Go and join the congregation for it is now time
for us to depart."....... 15

The blind mendicant stood up,
and he came amidst the following;
"Now fetch the cases and prepare,
for time has come for the Plr to depart!"

The gathering asked the blind man:
"Did you sacrifice yourself to the Plr?
Only yesterday, you bumped into walls
but now you walk tall!"

"Yes, I sacrificed myself to the Plr
and thus drank of Divine Light;
Had he not promised a place in Heaven
to the sacrificer of one's flesh?"

The assembly pondered over his words
and then approached the Plr;
"Take the gold dagger in your hand
and feast upon our flesh."

"That opportunity has passed!
Indeed, who can consume human flesh?"
"Now fetch the cases and prepare,
for the time has come for the Plr to depart!'

The whole gathering began to weep;
men and women both wept!
"If the Plr departs from here upset,
wretched will be our fate!"

Plr Shams said:
"Listen, O following!
I will give the final verdict at my own place;
now it is time to depart."

On Thursday, the seventeenth day
of the month Vaisakha,3
On that day the Plr travelled all the way
to Ucch in Multan.

Seventeen-hundred people followed the Plr
to his own place;
Placing their cases there, they said:
"Plr give us your last decree."

Plr Shams said:
"Listen, O gathering! Every twelve months
Keep a fast (roza) on this day,
and you will attain Heaven (vaikuntha)."

"All men and women must observe this fast,
even little children;
If every twelve months you keep the fast,
you will attain Heaven."

Plr Shams spoke his wisdom (ginan) firmly:
"Listen, O Followers!
Only thus will my curse not strike you,
and you will attain Heaven."

1. A kind of hard reddish wheat.
2. The first line of this verse is missing in the Gujarati text.
3. Seventh month of the Vikram vear.
prince_visram

Post by prince_visram »

Wow! Thanks soo much! I was actually trying to translate the ginan myself because I didn't think anyone would have a translation!! I got far but didn't understand some words but now after reading this translation I cab finnaly understand!! Thanks soo much!
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I think in those JKs where jamat belonging to different traditions are coming over there announcement "Shukarvari beej is compulsory/obligatory" is not made. Shukarvari beej is though an important ritual for us, but in Syrian, Chitrali, badakshani etc jamat they do not have any concept of Shukarvari beej and so they don't observe it.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

but in Syrian, Chitrali, badakshani etc jamat they do not have any concept of Shukarvari beej and so they don't observe it.
We Ismaili specially Indo-Paki ( in ginan called as "Jampudwip na Murids") only have importance of Sukarvari beej because pir Hasan Kabirdin(s.a.) bestowed his 4 yugas (4 cycles) Ibadats to us (Jampuwsip's Murid) in return and for thanks giving (shukrana) to pir Hasan Kabirdin (s.a.) we fasting on Sukarwari beej and it is compulsory for every one, therefore Ismailis from Syria, Iran may not observe this important beej.

Doesn't Chitral and Badakshan counts in Jampudwip? I think these two places should count in J.D.
Admin

Post by Admin »

I think regardless to one's origin, if one fast the day of Shukarwari Beej in thanks to the remembrance of that event when Pir Hassan Kabirdin dedicated his bandgi to the Jamat, one would certainly get the benefit.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

@Admin, that is good thought. I also think regardless of origin, if one keep fast with true intention, he/she can get benefit from it.
But apart from Shukarvari beej, there are certain Majalis which are for the murids belonging to Indo-Paki tradition only. May be, as per the needs of different jamats, some traditions have been introduced specifically for them.

@Agakhani bro, I am not sure whether Chitral and Badakshan are included in Jampudeep or not. I think, these regions may be located in Kashdeep (Balochistan and Afghanistan are located in Kashdeep).
Admin

Post by Admin »

I would say most of the Mijlas, most of the higher Mijlas have roots in our History of Ismailism in Arabia and Persia. Unfortunately, there is no way these mijlas will be discussed here. Not by me, not by anyone.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

if one fast the day of Shukarwari Beej in thanks to the remembrance of that event when Pir Hassan Kabirdin dedicated his bandgi to the Jamat, one would certainly get the benefit.
That is true, I don't have any objection for that, any body I mean any jamat from any part of this world can fast on the day of Sukarwari Beej, not only on sukarwari beej but also in the month of Ramadan then it will always beneficiary for their Ruhani and for their health, the main reason of my above post to tell the significant behind the sukarwari Beej.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

@admin...yes I understood what you are referring to. But as you said, I will stop any discussion on it here.

As per Ginanic traditions, in each era there was specific day for fasting. In Karta Yug, there was fast on Monday when there was 11th date of moon, in Treta Yug it was on Tuesday when there was 14th date of moon, In Duwapur Yug it was on Wednesday when there was 15th date of moon and Pir told that in Kalyug fast is on Friday when there is chandraat.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Related thread:

www.ismaili.net Forum Index -> Rites and Ceremonies

Shukarwari Beej

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Intermittent Fasting Slows Aging, Fights Disease, Builds Muscle, and Burns Fat

The newest diet trend is NOT eating. That’s right. Intermittent Fasting. It certainly makes sense, given that our primal ancestors went through periods of not eating while searching for food, as well as periods of feasting when food was plentiful. Our bodies were made to adapt to that—not regularly timed, three meals a day, 7 days a week readily available food. So it makes biological sense to skip a meal or two occasionally.

Taking a break from eating has several proven dramatic health benefits including slowing down aging, increasing Human Growth Hormone for muscle growth, increasing insulin sensitivity, and overall fat burning.

In addition, IF has been shown to help fight cancer, disease, diabetes, and other serious diseases, according to this study reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Additionally, according to other scientific studies, IF benefits extend to asthma, allergies, infectious diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Tourette’s syndrome, cardiac arrhythmia’s, hot flashes from hormonal fluctuations, multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s and more.

Intermittent fasting can also increase energy, help with focus and clear thinking, and improve mood as well. Practicing IF helps reduce symptoms of depression. This study published in the Journal of Nutritional Health and Aging found a significant reduction in anger, tension, confusion and low mood in a group of older men who were practicing IF.

Researchers have also found that intermittent fasting lowers the risk of degenerative brain diseases like Alzheimer’s, dementia and even helps improve recovery from strokes. It is thought the fasting protects the neurons against various kinds of damaging stress.

During a period of intermittent fasting, the body switches its energy source from glucose (unless you are fully ‘fat-adapted’, to burning fat for energy. When we fast for a longer period of time, we use up all glucose stores and convert body fat to fatty acids or ketones. It is a way of helping to flip your ‘metabolic switch’ and help your body become better at being ‘fat adapted’.

A scientific review, published in the journal Obesity, shows that it is likely that intermittent fasting may be more healthful than other dieting strategies, as ketones put less stress on cells than the byproducts of other diets. In addition, IF helps the body become better and more efficient at utilizing fat for energy, especially if IF is done on a regular basis. It also helps the body switch back to fat burning if you have gotten off-track and carb heavy with your diet. It is, in essence a way to get back on track.

The point of intermittent fasting is that the periods of food deprivation allow your body to rest, renew and regenerate. Plenty of scientific studies on both animals and humans show that periodic fasting not only helps you lose weight but also increases your longevity. Caloric restriction through fasting also helps to turn on genes that repair DNA and cells. This adaptation of IF may allow certain cells to actually live longer, preserving the body’s energy, according to a study published in the journal, Cell Metabolism. This may also be part of the reason that fasting helps to extend longevity as well.

Scientists think that the IF acts as a form of healthy stress that revs up the cellular defenses against molecular damage. Fasting mice have been found to have higher levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is a protein that prevents stressed neurons from dying. Low levels of BDNF have been tied to depression, anxiety, and dementia.

Fasting also ramps up autophagy, a kind of garbage-disposal system in cells that gets rid of damaged molecules, including ones that have been connected to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other neurological diseases.

Intermittent fasting has also been shown to reduce cancers resulting from oxidative damage, and to help maximize the positive effects of chemotherapy, while minimizing the negative effects of cancer treatment.

The question is—should you try it? Intermittent fasting obviously can be a powerful tool to maximize health, but it’s important to carefully weigh its effects. Intermittent fasting can last for a period of hours or even days, but generally it entails a brief fasting period of 12-24 hours. Most of us may already be fasting from dinner time to breakfast, and if you skip breakfast, you are fasting—provided you only drink black coffee, tea or water during your fast.

There are a few primary types of intermittent fasting to follow, and you can switch them around as much as you want—the point is to create episodic eating/fasting/eating similar to our hunter-gatherer ancestors. So, you don’t really need to follow any particular fast–just surprise your body every once in a while with 24 hours of little or no food.

One of the easiest ways to incorporate IF into your routine is to just skip breakfast. Ignore the old saying of “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, and just drink black coffee, tea or water in the morning.

After a full night’s sleep, you wake up with the perfect hormonal terrain for burning fat. Low insulin and high glucagon levels make delaying your first meal an effective strategy for prolonging this fat-burning period.

Types of Intermittent Fasts
Skipping Meals–Every week or so, skip breakfast and don’t eat until lunchtime or dinner. Or just eat a late lunch and skip dinner and breakfast. Listening to your body and eating when your natural hunger occurs, instead of sticking to the meal clock and eating every morning, noon and night is a good way to readjust hunger.

Condensed Eating Window—One of the more popular and easier to follow IF routines is to condense your food intake into a set number of hours, usually about 8 hours. This generally means you eat an early dinner, and a late breakfast, much like the 16:8 plan. For sixteen hours you avoid eating, and eat only during a compressed time of 6-8 hours during the day.

24-hour Fast—Generally this works for most people by eating a normal dinner and then fasting until the following evening. Others can choose to extend the fast until the following morning. For many people, this can be a weekly or monthly routine.

Why Women Should Be More Cautious About Fasting
Fasting sounds like a terrific way to improve health and lose weight, right? Well it’s a little different for women and there’s a few things to consider, if you are a woman, before you jump headlong onto the fasting wagon. Some of the great health benefits do not extend to women.

We women have hormones that help to regulate our cycles and fertility. IF is a hormone stressor, so for men this creates an adaptive response that is positive for health. For women, IF can interfere with fertility and menstrual cycles. Because women’s bodies are meant to nourish and support a pregnancy, our bodies are extremely sensitive to calorie restriction.

Fasting affects the hypothalamus in the brain which can disrupt the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which is responsible for releasing Luteinizing Hormone, and Follicle Stimulating Hormone, both important for menstrual regularity and fertility.

When these hormones cannot communicate with the ovaries, you run the risk of irregular periods, infertility, poor bone health and other health effects.

Even if you are not planning on having children, fasting creates nutritional stress, which decreases fertility, and even decreases ovarian size.

Where IF improves insulin sensitivity in males, females don’t often see the same positive results. In fact, one study showed exactly the opposite results—glucose tolerance worsened. One study compared caloric restriction to intermittent calorie restriction in overweight and obese women. Both groups lost a similar amount of weight, but unfortunately, the intermittent restriction group lost significantly more lean body mass. This is muscle, the kind of body mass you want to keep.

Another looked at healthy men and women doing moderate intensity morning cycling either fasted (overnight) or fed (breakfast). Although both men and women displayed greater increases in VO2 max and resting muscle glycogen concentration in response to fasted cycling training, only men showed greater skeletal muscle adaptations when fasted. Women had better muscle adaptations when fed.

So what does this mean for women? IF can be beneficial, just be cautious if you are trying to have a baby, nursing a baby or have menstrual irregularities. Instead of aiming for the longest fast you can tolerate, aim for the shortest fast that gives results.

Fasting for women is good if:
• You have significant amounts of fat to lose.
• Your oncologist giving you the go-ahead to try using it to improve the effects of chemotherapy.
• Your neurologist giving you the go-ahead to try using it to improve brain function in the face of cognitive decline or dementia.

Be aware–fasting in an extreme or unhealthy way can be a symptom of an eating disorder.

Fasting for both men and women can have some major health benefits, especially done in a controlled and safe manner. Just be careful you don’t take it too far. Prolonged fasting has also been associated with:

• increased cholesterol
• pancreas damage
• worsened insulin function (which increases the risk of diabetes)
• irregular heartbeat, headaches and fainting
• slight reductions in athletic performance, exercise ability and muscle mass

Note: Fasting is not recommended for those who need a regular supply of nutrients for their health, including pregnant or breastfeeding women, or people with certain medical conditions. Possible side effects related to fasting include malnutrition, dehydration, disordered eating and even death in some cases. But serious risks are rare and usually related to prolonged fasting, not IF.

The Best Type of Intermittent Fasting…

Deciding to do Intermittent Fasting can be pretty scary, but there’s one method I trust more than the others…

In fact, this method of Intermittent Fasting has been shown to help people lose upwards of 7 pounds in the first 5 days, and some have lost 4 pounds OVERNIGHT, as well as boosting sex hormones for both men and women, improving your energy, skin, & brain function, and so much more.

The great thing is that the fat loss from THIS type of Intermittent Fasting is the most stubborn fat on your body – the fat you’ve tried to lose for years, but just won’t go away. But please keep in mind that this is so effective it’s only recommended you do it once, maybe twice, a week…

> Click here to discover this powerful Intermittent Fasting method and lose up to 4 pounds overnight

https://thenutritionwatchdog.com/interm ... burns-fat/

THE Book on Intermittent Fasting (lose fat easier, improve blood sugar, get rid of brain fog, improve energy)

https://eatstopeat.com/cpa/?hop=haysgeary