MEHMANI - A TRUE LIFE EXPERIENCE

Share small ismaili stories
kmaherali

MEHMANI - A TRUE LIFE EXPERIENCE

Post by kmaherali »

I saw this in today’s “Today in History” window and I thought it might be of interest to those who might miss it. I am simply reproducing it here.

MEHMANI

A TRUE LIFE EXPERIENCE

During the year 1957, on the Auspicious day of Takhtenashini celebrations in Nairobi, Mowlana Hazar Imam, Shah Karim Al-Husayni was in accordance with his original program which he had graciously approved and confirmed, scheduled to have dinner at Count Nazarali Madatally Suleman Verjee’d residence in Nairobi – and as such had accepted the family’s MEHMANI.

However, for reasons best known to the organizers of Khudavind’s program, the scheduled dinner had been cancelled, without any reference or consultations with Hazar Imam.

Upon completion of all public functions and celebrations at the Agakhan Club grounds in Nairobi, Khudavind asked the organizers as to what his program was fro that evening.

When Khudavind was informed that all the programs and the dinner had been cancelled, Khudavind remarked: “Am I not supposed to dine at Count Nazarali’s residence, I have accepted his invitation”.

Khudavind added: “I wish to dine at Count Nazarali’s”.

Needless to say, Khudavind’s wishes are our commands, and as such, the family of Count Nazarali was advised of this situation at 5.00 p.m. that evening, and was given about three hours to prepare for the dinner.

With Khudavind’s blessings, and in keeping with the originally scheduled program, all went well, and the family was able to host a dinner for khudavind and other members of the Nurani family, which included Mata Salamat and khudavind’s mother, Princess Joan Aly Khan.

During the course of the evening the most interesting and touching incident of the “dinner” was when being served with all the delicacies and assortment of fishes, which the family members had managed to acquire from the hotels/restaurants, Khudavind asked Countess Nazarali: “What have “YOU” cooked for me tonight?”

In fact, at lunchtime, prior to attending the celebrations, the family had eaten “Beef Curry and Rice” and what was left from lunchtime for consumption by family members that evening.
At this junctures, Khudavind walked to this table, helped himself to this curry and rice and settled down to enjoy dinner – with intermittent remarks “Very nice, very tasty indeed” – and gave his blessings to the entire family for a wonderful and a memorable evening.

In the eyes of most people, such an incidence would be a wonderful experience, BUT for an Ismaili Mureed or his family, such an experience can and should truly be identified and classified as Hazar Imam’s “MEHMANI” in the true sense of the word – when the Imam actually ate what had been cooked at home for the family.

Nairobi/Kenya.
Last edited by kmaherali on Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shamsu

Mehmani?

Post by shamsu »

It sounds more like a Khada khoraki to me.
kmaherali

Reflection on the Mehmani event.

Post by kmaherali »

As I reflect on the event, it becomes more apparent to me that it was better the dinner turned out that way. Had it happened as planned, it would have been too elaborate and formal and MHI would not have eaten the home prepared food!!
nagib

Post by nagib »

This remind me of an anecdote related to me by Mukhi Shamshu Murji when Hazar Imam came to Shinianga during his time. They had cooked many dishes and als brought many dishes from Williamson Diamond Mine.

Hazar Imam sat and asked "what iwill the Jamat be eating, I will eat that first". So they broought the plate from the main "deg", I think Bhriani and Samosas.

Then Hazar imam took from all the other dishes prepared by the Mukhiani and Kamadiani at home including the desert but not from the expensive plates coming from Diamond Mine's restaurant.

Nagib