Teachable Moments

Put your inspiration poems or quotes here...
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband were invited to spend the weekend at the husband's employer's home. My friend, Arlene, was nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a fine home on the waterway, and cars costing more than her house.

The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this rare glimpse into how the very wealthy live. The husband's employer was quite generous as a host, and took them to the finest restaurants. Arlene knew she would never have the opportunity to indulge in this kind of extravagance again, so was enjoying herself immensely.

As the three of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant that evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband.

He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent moment. Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him. There was nothing on the ground except a single darkened penny that someone had dropped, and a few cigarette butts.

Still silent, the man reached down and picked up the penny. He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket as if he had found a great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man have for a single penny? Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it up? Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her.

Finally, she could stand it no longer. She Casually mentioned that her daughter once had a coin collection, and asked if the penny he had found had been of some value.

A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into his pocket for the penny and held it out for her to see. She had seen many pennies before! What was the point of this?

"Look at it." He said. "Read what it says."

She read the words " United States of America ."

"No, not that; read further."

"One cent?"

"No, keep reading."

"In God we Trust?"

"Yes!"

"And?"

"And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin. Whenever I find a coin I see that inscription. It is written on every single United States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in front of me telling me to trust Him? Who am I to pass it by? When I see a coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick the coin up as a response to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time, at least, I cherish it as if it were gold. I think it is God's way of starting a conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!

When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped and picked it up, and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my mind about things I cannot change. I read the words, "In God We Trust," and had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message. It seems that I have been finding an inordinate number of pennies in the last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful!

And, God is patient...
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

The clearest sign of what kind of person you really are is not found in the things that you say, it's found in the things that you do. The life you lead is a photograph of your soul that you display to the world. Is the picture you've created with your life all that it could be?

Friends can be lovers ... I find that true. I think, but I'm not sure lover, and [then] later be friends ... I have a time or two, but [its] very hard. Well, if that is the case, he wants more if he can't handle it. I've been there and am there now.

God is not dead. He is alive and working; working on a less ambitious project.

Never argue with a fool - people might not know the difference.

The fewer facts you have in support of an opinion, the stronger your emotional attachment to that opinion.

Go not where the path happens to be. Go rather where a path ought to be.

I’ve learned that nobody can keep a secret.

I’ve learned that love will break your heart but it’s worth it.

When one of us is gone and one of us is left to carry on, than remembering will have to do.Our memories alone will get us through. Think about the days of you and me. Me and you against the world.

So I am glad, not that my loved one is gone, but that the earth she laughed and lived on was my earth too. That I’d known and loved her, and that my love I’d shown. Tear over her departure? Nay, a smile. That I had walked with her a little while.

I must conquer my loneliness alone. I must be happy with myself, or I have nothing to offer. Two halves have little choice but to join; and yes they do make a whole. But two wholes when they coincide ... That is beauty ... That is love.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And it’s only reward is that it’s easy.

I will remember you, will you remember me?

Take care my friend, because I can’t help thinking how lonely it is without you, and how nice it would be to have you with me. But most of all take care ... because you matter to me.

Yesterday brought a beginning tomorrow brings an end. Though somewhere in the middle, we became the best of friends.

Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you find yourself.

When you make a mistake there are only 3 things you should do about it: admit it, learn from it, and don't repeat it.

Time makes love pass, love makes time pass.

I’m the one that’s got to die when it’s time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to.

Post by Guest »

Patience: It's Worth the Wait
by Elissa Sonnenberg

In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be a virtue? Find out why patience is essential to a well-balanced, successful life and how you can become more patient.

Patience Lost
David Shenk loves the speed of the Internet, the instant gratification of email and the convenience of shopping online. But he also knows that these modern conveniences and the lifestyles they accelerate come at a cost.

"We're packing more into our lives," says Shenk, author of The End of Patience, "and losing patience in the process." In his book, Shenk maintains that "We've managed to compress time to such an extent that we're now painfully aware of every second that we wait for anything."

Too Much Technology
It's not just modems, cell phones and call waiting driving our inability to wait. It's extended to elevators, shopping malls, the gym, and even gas stations. At least one large Northeast hotel chain has installed Internet news monitors in their elevators. At many fitness centers, you can surf the Net and pedal at the same time. And a Norfolk, Virginia company is manufacturing television monitors that can be positioned at gas station islands, so you can watch the news while you wait for your gas.

In theory, advances in technology should free up time to do other things, but in practice, they tend to perpetuate the need for ever-greater speed. Shenk and others believe that this addiction to convenience can come at too high a cost. When there is no time to wait, there is often no time to think, to connect to other people at deep levels, or to create lasting memories.

"The real danger is the potential vanishing of spirituality," Shenk explains. "It's difficult to feel the richness of being alive when you've got these distracting electronic impulses [interrupting] your thoughts."

Is Patience Still a Virtue?
Patience can be defined in any number of ways, but it boils down to the ability to wait calmly before taking action and/or accept events that cannot be controlled.

"Not everyone has to believe the old aphorism that patience is a virtue," says Joseph Tecce, professor of psychology at Boston College. "But everyone has to realize that patience has a number of rewarding consequences that can enhance happiness in the long term."

Patience Is a Strength
Tecce, who equates patience with self-restraint, explains that people who develop patience give themselves more choices, and therefore more freedom to handle each situation that arises more effectively. "Patiently holding back outbursts when frustrated, afraid or angry puts people in charge of their decisions and avoids the negative consequences of temperamental outbursts," he explains.

And the negative side effects don't just apply to relationships with others. "If we don't learn to be patient, we are likely to suffer from anxiety and frustration," says Rachel Harris, PhD, author of 20-minute Retreats," which includes a chapter about incorporating patience into daily life. Harris maintains that patience, while not a natural virtue, is a necessary one for emotional and spiritual maturity.

"Having patience shifts our perspective, allowing us to open to what is actually happening in the present moment," she writes.

The Healing Touch of Patience
Experts agree that modern culture, with its emphasis on multi-tasking and control, typically undervalues the importance of patience, which is often perceived as wasted time. They contend that quite the contrary is true. True patience should not be confused with meekness, in which fear or lack of discipline leads to inactivity.

In Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective, the Dalai Lama clarifies the necessity and the difficulty of practicing patience: "...only through patience is one able to overcome the obstacles to compassion... Since patience comes from a certain ability to remain firm and steadfast...one should not see patience as a sign of weakness, but rather as a sign of strength coming from a deep ability to remain steadfast and firm."

In Buddhism, there are different levels of patience, but all of them are reached by ever-expanding attempts at self-control. When a person is truly patient, understanding quickly supplants anger and empowers individuals to remain calm and solve problems more effectively.

Worth the Wait
David Shenk knew he was on track with his message of moderation when he began noticing how really smart, really successful people spent their time.

"They're all making these hard decisions. They're very disciplined," he says. "They spend a huge amount of time thinking carefully."

There are trade-offs, Shenk acknowledges, for limiting the time he spends at his computer and choosing to read a book instead of watching the nightly news. But these are trade-offs he can live with, because they directly enhance his quality of life.

"I think everything we really value in our lives is built on slower things," he maintains.

Practicing Patience
With deadline pressures and note-filled day planners, where is the time to practice patience?

Here are some tips to get you started:

Remember to breathe. One of Rachel Harris' mini-retreats focuses on letting go of impatience by taking a deep breath, then letting your expectations out as you exhale.
Pay attention to details. Harris also encourages other quick retreats. When you make tea, try to purposefully do nothing as you wait for the water to boil. Enjoying the tea and the "empty" time increases your awareness of patience. Tending to a garden requires patience because the plants' growth can only be appreciated over time.
Create consequences. Dr. Tecce recommends setting up repercussions for yourself if you slip into impatient behavior. For example, if you've sworn off compulsive swearing, decide on a consequence if you lose your patience and start to swear.
Eat right and rest. From excessive caffeine to lack of sleep, biological forces can play a part in putting the brakes on your ability to suppress anger, according to Tecce.
Make the tough choices. Whether it's yoga, putting a time limit on your computer use each day, deciding to print out reading materials instead of reading them online or turning off the television so you can reconnect with your family, understand the great rewards of setting your own limits, advises Shenk. Allotting time to think, read and talk requires both patience and discipline, but the resulting pride and happiness make the sacrifices worthwhile.

Incorporating patience into everyday life won't be instantaneous, but isn't that the point?

RESOURCES:

The American Institute of Stress
http://www.stress.org

Beliefnet
http://www.beliefnet.com
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

I’ve learned that I am responsible for my own life and happiness. When I focus my life on another person and try to build my life and happiness around that person, I’m not truly living.

Laurie Waldron
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

Something women should know.

Men are not reliable! Read this story in news lately:

Fantastic Find

For a Toronto couple it was like winning the lottery.

The thing is – the million dollars worth of goods was theirs to start with, they just feared they’d lost it forever. But thanks to Good Samaritan John Suhrhoff, they’re not down a cent.

Shahla Ghannadian and her husband Saied had flown from the G.T.A. down to Sausalito, California last week for their daughter’s wedding.

They had some time to kill before heading back to the airport for their return home so they took a stroll around town. At one point they stopped to sit on a park bench. Shahla Ghannadian gave her Louis Vuitton purse to her husband while she went to the restroom.

Then in an apparent mix-up, they both left the bag behind on the bench. Not only was the designer handbag expensive, the contents were worth a cool $1 million US.

Inside was jewellery including a Cartier watch, emeralds, pearls, and a 12-carat diamond, along with $500 in cash.

The couple eventually realized it was missing and called the cops frantically, but were told not to hold out hope for its return.

They returned to Toronto broken hearted and badly shaken in what was surely the longest flight of their lives.

But fortunately the man who found it, Suhrhoff, is what Diogenes was long searching for -- the proverbial honest man. Instead of heading for the nearest pawn shop, he turned it over to the police.

"Looked like there was some expensive things in there and plenty of money and I thought someone would be looking for it," he said, adding, "It wasn't mine. Wasn't mine to keep. Doesn't matter how much was in there."

The bag and its contents are now headed back to Toronto to be reunited with the Ghannadians, who are both overjoyed and grateful. They say they want to meet the man who saved their precious belongings in person.

Post by Guest »

Harness the Power of Energy Fields

Energy and persistence alter all things.
-Benjamin Franklin

From "Positive Energy," by Judith Orloff, M.D.:

We all know that energy comes from diet, sleep, and exercise. But we’re also influenced by an extensive network of energy fields undetectable to our five senses. Think of gravity, the force of attraction to the earth’s center, which holds us to the ground. Or magnetic fields: you remember those metal filings mysteriously drawn toward the magnet in grammar school science class. Similarly, there’s an energy field or “vibe” emanating from everything we encounter, from food to friends to current events. Our response to these vibes is manifested in our energy level. What we usually think of in physical, emotional, and sexual terms, using words like, “My heart’s racing,” “I’m afraid,” or “I’m aroused,” are different expressions of subtle energy. If you’re a particularly sensitive person who frequently feels drained or exhausted, this information can make the difference between an exuberant life and one you’re constantly recovering from...

To begin, envision energy as conveying two qualities—either positive or negative. You must become acquainted with each to take charge of your health and moods.
You’ll learn how to harness the power of positive energy—loving and nurturing forces from within, such as compassion, courage, forgiveness, and faith. (Being the best people we’re capable of being brings wholeness to a broken world.) Or from without: supportive friends, creative work, the ability to laugh, or vibrant sexuality. Positive energy comes from an honoring of the Earth and all its creatures, a deep capacity for tolerance, as well as the passion to achieve a peaceful civilization. These are as central to our sustenance as food or oxygen.

You’ll hone skills to combat and reverse negative energy, which enfeebles us, causing dis-ease. Negative energy keeps us small, unhealthy; it alienates us from our best selves. We may generate it with our own fear, self-loathing, rage, or shame—an emotional terrorism we inflict on ourselves without realizing the toll. Unless we’re committed to identifying and healing such negative forces, they will enervate us.

Post by Guest »

The Power of Mystery

Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.
-Rachel Carson

From "My Grandfather's Blessings: Stories of Strength, Refuge, and Belonging" by Rachel Naomi Remen:

We have not been raised to cultivate a sense of Mystery. We may even see the unknown as an insult to our competence, a personal failing. Seen this way, the unknown becomes a challenge to action. But Mystery does not require action; Mystery requires our attention. Mystery requires that we listen and become open. When we meet with the unknown in this way, we can be touched by a wisdom that can transform our lives.

Mystery has great power. In the many years I have worked with people with cancer, I have seen Mystery comfort people when nothing else can comfort them and offer hope when nothing else offers hope. I have seen Mystery heal fear that is otherwise unhealable. For years I have watched people in their confrontation with the unknown recover awe, wonder, joy, and aliveness. They have remembered that life is holy, and they have reminded me as well. In losing our sense of Mystery, we have become a nation of burned-out people. People who wonder do not burn out….
Perhaps real wisdom lies in not seeking answers at all. Any answer we find will not be true for long. An answer is a place where we can fall asleep as life moves past us to its next question. After all these years I have begun to wonder if the secret of living well is not in having all the answers but in pursuing unanswerable questions in good company.

Post by Guest »

Embraceable You
Comparing Yourself To Others

You are unique. There is no one else like you in the entire universe. In honor of your unique self, it is good to acknowledge and embrace the special qualities that make you the person that you are. One way to do this is to not compare yourself with other people.

It is human nature to want to see how we measure up in comparison to others - especially if we think that they are better than us or have more of something that we want. Yet the truth is that it is not a good use of time to compare ourselves with others because there is no one like us and this makes us incomparable. It is sometimes almost easier to look outside of ourselves and feel like we are deficient in comparison to other people rather than taking responsibility for our own progress in relation to the fulfillment of our life purpose. It actually takes more courage to be self-referential and look at ourselves to see whether we are measuring up to our standards or meeting our full potential. Each of us has very special gifts, and we are here for very specific reasons. We each have a life purpose to fulfill and with this come the lessons that we must learn and the circumstances that we must go through in order to evolve as spiritual beings. To compare our lives to other pe! ople's lives when we have no idea of what they are here to learn or fulfill doesn't benefit anyone - especially you.

Instead, if we can accept ourselves, appreciate the special talents and qualities that we alone possess, and realize that each of us is going through certain kinds of experiences for a reason, we are less likely focus so much on what other people have or are doing. Realizing and valuing our uniqueness enables us to bring out the best in ourselves so we can get on with living rather than preoccupying ourselves with meaningless comparisons. Try to not compare yourself to others, and you will see how much you have and how special you are.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Inspiration: Your Energy Source
Motivation is ego-driven. But inspiration is spirit-driven--a force that takes hold of us, not the reverse.
By Wayne W. Dyer

Excerpted from "Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling" with permission of Hay House, Inc.

There’s a voice in the Universe entreating us to remember our purpose, our reason for being here now in this world of impermanence. The voice whispers, shouts, and sings to us that this experience—of being in form, space, and time—has meaning. That voice belongs to inspiration, which is within each and every one of us.

I think of the word inspiration as meaning “being in-Spirit.” When we’re in-Spirit, we’re inspired…and when we’re inspired, it’s because we’re back in-Spirit,fully awake to Spirit within us. Being inspired is an experience of joy: we feel completely connected to our Source and totally on purpose; our creative juices flow, and we bring exceptionally high energy to our daily life. We’re not judging others or ourselves—we’re uncritical and unbothered by behaviors or attitudes that in uninspired moments are frustrating. Our heart sings in appreciation for every breath; and we’re tolerant, joyful, and loving.

Being in-Spirit isn’t necessarily restricted to the work we do or the activities of our daily life. We can be inspired and at the same time be unsure of what vocation to pursue or what activities we want to schedule. Inspiration is a simple recognition of Spirit within ourselves…This is quite different from being highly motivated; in fact, it’s almost the opposite of motivation.

Motivation vs. Inspiration

It’s important to note that whatever is needed to fulfill our calling is part of the present process. Arthur Miller, who was perhaps the most accomplished dramatist in the U.S., is an example of a man who knew this. In an interview late in his life, he was asked, “Are you working on a new play?” Mr. Miller’s answer went something like this: “I don’t know if I am or not, but I probably am.” This delightful response suggests that Miller’s writing came from inspiration—that is, something other than ego spurred him on.

By contrast, highly motivated people have a kind of ego determination driving them over obstacles and toward goals—nothing gets in their way. Now, most of us have been taught that this is an admirable trait; in fact, when we’re not accomplishing and demonstrating drive and ambition, we’ve been told to “get motivated!” Lectures, books, videos, and audio recordings abound that preach that all we have to do is dedicate ourselves to an idea with actions designed to make it a reality. This is a beneficial approach for a different level of accomplishment—but what we’re exploring in these pages is what leads us to precisely what we’re meant to be and do…our ultimate calling.

If motivation is grabbing an idea and carrying it through to an acceptable conclusion, then inspiration is the reverse. When we’re in the grip of inspiration, an idea has taken hold of us from the invisible reality of Spirit. Something that seems to come from afar, where we allow ourselves to be moved by a force that’s more powerful than our ego and all of its illusions, is inspiration. And being in-Spirit is the place where we connect to the invisible reality that ultimately directs us toward our calling. Often we can identify these inspired times by their insistence, and because they seem not to make sense while at the same time they keep appearing in our consciousness.

If we ignore inspiration’s powerful attraction, the result is personal discomfort or a sense of disconnection from ourselves. For any number of reasons we might be resistant when we feel called to create, perform, visit a foreign place, meet someone, express ourselves, help another, or be a part of a cause. Inspiration is a calling to proceed even though we’re unsure of goals or achievements—it may even insist that we go in the direction of uncharted territory.

Throughout various stages of life, inspiration is the thought or idea reconnecting us to the energy we were part of prior to becoming a microscopic particle. I call this “surrendering to our destiny and allowing ourselves to hear the call.” At this point we can differentiate between the demands of our ego and those of the ego-dominated people and institutions that deflect us from the call of inspiration. As we move more deeply into Spirit, we cease to be guided by the ego demands of others or ourselves. We surrender to the always-present force that urges us to be in this blissful state of inspiration. We’re guided by our ultimate calling, which is truly our life purpose.

When I’m in-Spirit, I have a feeling of contentment, but more than this, I experience joy. I’m able to receive the vibrational energies of my Source—call them voices, messages, silent reminders, invisible suggestions, or what have you, but they’re vibrations of energy that I’m able to align with as I get myself out of the way.

…Ideas flow, and whatever assistance I need just shows up. …I can’t describe how the ideas come, and I can’t force them. Staying in-Spirit seems to be the secret to this feeling of being inspired…

At a recent lecture, for instance, a woman named Rolina De Silva approached me at the break to ask if I’d visit her teenage daughter, Alison, in The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. Alison had been hospitalized for many, many months due to a rare disease that’s characterized by a breakdown of the lymphatic system. Her intestines had been perforated, so she was unable to process proteins and fats . . . and her prognosis was dismal at best.

As I sat with Alison on my third visit with her, I held her hand and noticed that a scab was forming on the top of her hand from a minor injury brought about by an intravenous injection. Something came over me in that moment, and I looked into the girl’s eyes and reminded her that the scab was a gift to her. It indicated that the essence of well-being (our Source) was working within her. I reminded her that all she had to do was to summon that same well-being to her abdomen. “You’re already connected to Spirit,” I almost shouted, “otherwise you wouldn’t be growing a scab over that cut on your hand!”

When I spoke with Rolina 14 months later, I asked if she remembered that day in the hospital when I held Alison’s hand and felt inspired by the scab. Rolina replied that that day was a new beginning for her daughter, as something inside of her opened. Always before she’d had a blank look on her face, yet she gave off an air of intolerance about the entire process. When the girl realized that she was indeed connected to Spirit, evinced by the presence of the scab forming on her hand, she changed her attitude completely.

Today Alison is back home and actually doing work to raise money for that same hospital where she spent so many months as a critical-care patient.…

I know in my heart that when we remember we’re always connected to this Source and that we can summon the well-being of God, it is then that we’re said to be inspired. Whether the outcome is miraculous, as was Alison’s, or our physical reconnection to our Source is completed through the death of our body, we live out our moment in-Spirit. It’s important to understand that each and every one of us represents God or Spirit revealing Itself here on our planet.

Also, keep in mind that our creative force is a forthcoming energy. I find that when I emulate it, the result is inspiration flowing through my life, and I’m living a life that is my ultimate calling. If I feel called to something higher and then do nothing about it, I’ll generally find myself experiencing discontentment and disappointment. But when I act upon that calling by being in vibrational harmony with it, and by being willing to share it with as many people as possible, I feel inspired.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Being Spiritual

Becoming Spiritual & Performing Miracles

by Wayne Dyer

This article presents 12 beliefs & practices to cultivate in order to manifest miracles in our life.

Becoming a spiritual being is synonymous with becoming a miracle worker and knowing the bliss of real magic. The differences between people who are non-spiritual, or "physical only", and those whom I call spiritual beings are dramatic. I use the terms spiritual and non-spiritual in the sense that a spiritual being has a conscious awareness of both the physical and the invisible dimension, while the non-spiritual being is only aware of the physical domain. Neither category, as I use them, implies atheism or religious orientation in any way. The non-spiritual person is not incorrect or bad because he or she experiences the world only in a physical manner.

Below are 12 beliefs and practices for you to cultivate as you develop your abilities to manifest miracles in your life. Becoming a spiritual being as outlined here is an all-out necessity if real magic is your objective in this lifetime.

1. The non-spiritual being lives exclusively within the five senses, believing that if you cannot see, touch, smell, hear, or taste something, then that something simply doesn't exist. The spiritual being knows that beyond the five physical senses, there are other senses we use to experience the world of form.

As you work toward becoming a spiritual being as well as a physical being, you begin to live more and more consciously within the invisible realm. You begin to know that there are senses beyond this physical world. Even though you cannot perceive it through one of the five senses, you know that you are a soul with a body, and that your soul is beyond limits and defies birth and death. It is not governed by any of the rules and regulations that govern the physical universe. To be a spiritual being means that you allow yourself the option of being multi-sensory. Hence a whole new world opens up. As Gary Zukav writes in The Seat of the Soul, "The experiences of the multi-sensory human are less limited than the experiences of the five-sensory human. They provide more opportunities for growth and development and more opportunities to avoid unnecessary difficulties."

2. The non-spiritual being believes we are alone in the universe. The spiritual being knows he or she is never alone.

A spiritual being is comfortable with the idea of having teachers, observers, and divine guidance available at any time. If we believe we are souls with bodies rather than bodies with souls, then the invisible, eternal part of ourselves is always available to us for assistance. Once this belief is firm and unshakable it can never be doubted, regardless of the rational arguments of those who live exclusively in the physical world. For some this is called intense prayer, for others it is universal, omnipresent intelligence or force, and for others it is spiritual guidance. It matters not what you call this higher self or how you spell it, since it is beyond definitions, labels, and language itself.

For the non-spiritual being this is all hogwash. We show up on Earth, we have one life to live and no one has any ghosts around or within to help out. This is a physical-only universe to the non-spiritual being and the goal is to manipulate and control the physical world. The spiritual being sees the physical world as an arena for growth and learning with the specific purpose of serving and evolving into higher levels of love. Non-spiritual beings accept the existence of a supreme being or God, not as a universal force that is within us but as a separate power that will someday hold us accountable. They do not see themselves as having assistance or a higher self, unless they have the kind of direct experience of divine presence recorded by St. Paul or St. Francis of Assisi. Spiritual beings simply know, through their personal experience of having been in contact with their own divine guidance, that they are not alone, and that they can use that guidance to become miracle makers in their lives.

3. The non-spiritual being is focused on external power. The spiritual being is focused on personal empowerment.

External power is located in the dominance of and control over the physical world. This is the power of war and military might, the power of laws and organization, the power of business and stock market games. This is the power of controlling all that is external to the self. The non-spiritual being is focused on this external power. By contrast, the spiritual being is focused on empowering himself and others to higher and higher levels of consciousness and achievement. The use of force over another is not a possibility for the spiritual being. He or she is not interested in collecting power, but rather in helping others to live in harmony and to experience real magic. This is a power of love that does not judge others. There is no hostility or anger in this kind of power. It is true empowerment to know that one can live in the world with others who have differing points of view and have no need to control or vanquish them as victims. A spiritual being knows the enormous power that comes with the ability to manipulate the physical world with one's mind.

A mind at peace, a mind centered and not focused on harming others, is stronger than any physical force in the universe. The entire philosophy of aikido and the Oriental martial arts is based not on external power over the opponent, but on becoming at one with that external energy to remove the threat. Empowerment is the inner joy of knowing that external force is not necessary to be at harmony with oneself. To the non-spiritual being, no other way is known. One must constantly be ready for war. Even though the spiritual masters to whom they often pledge allegiance speak against such use of power, the non-spiritual being simply cannot see other alternatives

4. The non-spiritual being feels separated and distinct from all others, a being unto himself. The spiritual being knows that he is connected to all others and lives his life as if each person he meets shares being human with him.

When a person feels separate from all others he becomes more self-centered and much less concerned about the problems of others. He may feel some sympathy for people starving in another part of the world, but that person's daily approach is, "It's not my problem." The splintered personality, the non-spiritual being, is focused more on his own problems, and often feels that other human beings are either in his way or trying to get what he wants and so he must "do in" the other guy, before he gets done in himself.

The spiritual being knows that we are all connected, and he is able to see the fullness of God in each person with whom he makes contact. This sense of connection eliminates much of the inner conflict that the non-spiritual being experiences as he constantly judges others, categorizes them according to physical appearances and behaviors, and then proceeds to find ways to either ignore or take advantage of them for his own benefit. Being connected means that the need for conflict and confrontation is eliminated. Knowing that the same invisible force that flows through himself flows through all others allows the spiritual being to truly live the golden rule. The spiritual being thinks, "How I am treating others is essentially how I am treating myself, and vice versa." The meaning of "love thy neighbor as thyself" is clear to the spiritual being, while it is considered nonsense by the non-spiritual being. Negative judgment is not possible when one feels connected to all others. The spiritual being knows that he cannot define another by his judgments, that he only defines himself as a judgmental person.

5. The non-spiritual being believes exclusively in a cause/effect interpretation of life. The spiritual being knows that there is a higher power working in the universe beyond mere cause and effect. The non-spiritual being lives exclusively in the physical world, where cause and effect rule. If one plants a seed (cause), he will see the result (effect). If one is hungry, he will seek food. If one is angry, he will vent that anger. This is indeed a rational and logical way to think and behave, since the third law of motion for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction is always operating in the physical universe.

The spiritual being goes beyond Newton's physics and lives in an entirely different realm. The spiritual being knows that thoughts come out of nothingness, and that in our dream state (one-third of our entire physical lives), where we are in pure thought, cause and effect play no role whatsoever.

6. The non-spiritual being is motivated by achievement, performance and acquisitions. The spiritual being is motivated by ethics, serenity and quality of life.

For the non-spiritual person, the focus is on learning for the purpose of high grades, getting ahead, and acquiring possessions. The purpose of athletics is competition. Success is measured in external labels such as position, rank, bank accounts, and awards. These are all very much a part of our culture, and certainly not objects to be scorned, they simply are not the focus of the spiritual being's life. For the spiritual being, success is achieved by aligning oneself with one's purpose, which is not measured by performance or acquisitions. The spiritual being knows that these external things flow into one's life in sufficient amounts and that they arrive as a result of living purposefully. The spiritual being knows that living purposefully involves serving in a loving fashion. Mother Teresa, who has spent many years of her life caring for the most downtrodden among us in the slums of Calcutta, defined purpose this way in "For the Love of God:"

"The fruit of love is service, which is compassion in action. Religion has nothing to do with compassion. It is our love for God that is the main thing, because we have all been created for the sole purpose to love and be loved."

It is in ways such as this that the spiritual being's inner and outer reality is experienced. It is not necessary to become a saint ministering to the impoverished to become a spiritual being. One simply must know that there is much more to life than achievement, performance and acquisitions, and that the measure of a life is not in what is accumulated, but rather in what is given to others. Living ethically, morally and serenely while being aligned with a spiritual purpose is at the core of his being. Real magic cannot be experienced when your focus is on getting more for yourself, particularly if it is at the expense of others. When you experience a sense of serenity and quality about your life, knowing your mind is what creates such a state, you will also know that from such a state of mind flows miracle-making magic

. 7. The non-spiritual being has no place within his awareness for the practice of meditation. The spiritual being cannot imagine life without it.

For the non-spiritual being, the idea of looking quietly within oneself and sitting alone for any period of time repeating a mantra, emptying one's mind, and seeking answers by aligning oneself with one's Higher Self borders on lunacy. For this person, answers are sought by working hard, struggling, persevering, setting goals, reaching those goals and setting new ones and competing in a dog-eat-dog world.

The spiritual being knows about the enormous power of the practice of meditation. He knows meditation makes him more alert and able to think more clearly. He knows the very special effect meditation has in relieving stress and tension.

Spiritual people know, by virtue of having been there and experienced it firsthand, that one can get divine guidance by becoming peaceful and quiet, and asking for answers. They know they are multidimensional and that the invisible mind can be tapped at higher and higher levels through meditation, or whatever you want to call the practice of being alone and emptying your mind of the frenetic thoughts that occupy so much of daily life. They know that in deep meditation one can leave the body and enter a sphere of magic that is as blissful a state as any drug could temporarily provide.

For the non-spiritual being this is perceived as an escape from reality, but for the spiritual being it is an introduction to a whole new reality, a reality that includes an opening in life that will lead to miracle making.

8. For the non-spiritual being, the concept of intuition can be reduced to a hunch or a haphazard thought that accidentally pops into one's head on occasion. For the spiritual being, intuition is far more than a hunch. It is viewed as guidance or as God talking, and this inner insight is never taken lightly or ignored.

You know from your own experience that when you ignore your intuitive proddings, you end up regretting it or having to "learn the hard way".

To the non-spiritual person, intuition is completely unpredictable and occurs in random happenstance. It is often ignored or shunned in favor of behaving in habitual ways. The spiritual being strives to increase consciousness concerning his intuition. He pays attention to invisible messages and knows deep within that there is something working that is much more than a coincidence.

Spiritual beings have an awareness of the nonphysical world and are not stuck exclusively in a universe restricted to the functioning of their five senses. Hence all thoughts, invisible though they may be, are something to pay attention to. But intuition is much more than a thought about something, it is almost as if one is receiving a gentle prod to behave in a certain way or to avoid something that might be dangerous or unhealthy. Although inexplicable, our intuition is truly a factor of our lives.

For the non-spiritual person, this seems to be merely a hunch and nothing to study or become more attuned to. The non-spiritual person thinks, "It will pass. It is just my mind at work in its disorderly way " For the spiritual person, these inner intuitive expressions are almost like having a dialogue with God.

A Personal Perspective

I view my intuition about everything and anything as God talking to me. I pay attention when I "feel something" strongly and I always go with that inner inclination. At one time in my life I ignored it, but now I know better and these intuitive feelings always, and I mean always, guide me in a direction of growth and purposefulness. Sometimes my intuition tells me where to go to write, and I follow, and the writing is always smooth and flowing. When I have ignored this intuition, I have struggled tremendously and blamed "writer's block."

I have come to not only trust that guidance in my writing, but to rely on it in virtually all areas of my life. I have developed a private relationship with my intuition from what to eat and what to write about, to how to relate to my wife and other family members. I meditate on it, trust it, study it, and seek to become more aware of it. When I do ignore it, I pay a price, and then remind myself of the lesson to trust that inner voice the next time.

I figure if I can talk to God and call it prayer, believing in such a universal divine presence, then there is nothing loony about having God talk to me. All the spiritual people I've read about share a similar feeling. Intuition is loving guidance and they know enough not to ignore it.

9. The non-spiritual being is involved in a lot of fighting, he is aligned with the tools of power in a war against that which he believes to be evil. This person knows what he hates, and experiences a great deal of inner turmoil over perceived wrongs. Much of his energy, both mental and physical, is devoted to what he perceives to be bad or evil.

Spiritual beings do not order their lives to be against anything. They are not against starvation, they are for feeding people and seeing that everyone in the world is nutritionally satisfied. They work on what they are for, rather than fighting what they are against. Fighting starvation only weakens the fighter and makes him angry and frustrated, while working for a well-fed populace is empowering. Spiritual beings are not against war, they are for peace and spend their energy on working for peace. They do not join a war on drugs or poverty, because wars need warriors and fighters, and this will not make the problems go away. Spiritual beings are for a well-educated youth, who can be euphoric, giddy and high without the need for external substances. They work toward this end, helping young people to know the power of their own minds and bodies. They fight nothing.

When you fight evil by employing the methods of hatred and violence, you are part of the hatred and violence of evil itself. despite the rightness of your position in your own mind. If all the people in the world who are against terrorism and war were to shift their perspective to supporting and working for peace, terrorism and war would be eliminated. Somehow our priorities are turned inside out. Spiritual beings do not get tied up with hatred. They are focused thoughtfully on what they are for and they translate that into action. Spiritual beings keep their thoughts on love and harmony, in the face of things they would love to see changed. All that you fight weakens you. All that you are for empowers you. In order to manifest miracles, you must be totally focused on what you are for. Real magic occurs in your life when you have eliminated the hatred that is in your life, even the hatred that you have against hatred.

10. The non-spiritual person feels no sense of responsibility to the universe, therefore he has not developed a reverence for life. The spiritual being has a reverence for life that goes to the essence of all beings.

The non-spiritual being believes, as Gary Zukav has said, "that we are conscious and that the universe is not." He thinks that his existence will end with this lifetime and that he is not responsible to the universe. The non-spiritual being has become arrogant.

The spiritual being behaves as if the God in all life matters, and he feels a sense of responsibility to the universe. He is in awe of this life and that he has a mind with which to process the physical universe. That awe leads him to look outward at all life and the environment with a sense of appreciation and reverence, to engage with life itself at a deeper level than merely the material world.

To the spiritual being the cycles of life are approached as representatives of infinity, with reverence that is truly an honoring of life. It is a gentle and kind approach toward all that is in our world, a recognition that the earth itself and the universe beyond has a consciousness and that our life is connected in some unseen way to all life now and in the past. The invisible intelligence that suffuses all form is a part of ourselves, thus a reverence for all life is knowing that there is a soul in everything. That soul is worthy of being honored.

The spiritual person is conscious of the need not to take more from the earth than is needed, and to give back to the universe in some fashion for those who will habitate the planet after himself. Miracle-making capability comes out of a strong reverence for all life, including your own, and therefore in order to know real magic you must learn to think and act in ways consistent with being a reverent spiritual being.

11. The non-spiritual being is laden with grudges, hostility, and the need for revenge. The spiritual being has no room in his heart for these impediments to miracle making and real magic.

The spiritual being knows that all spiritual masters have talked about the importance of forgiveness. Here are few examples from our mayor religious teachings:

Judaism: The most beautiful thing a man can do is to forgive wrong.

Christianity: Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?" "As many as seven times." Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven."

Islam: Forgive thy servant seventy times a day. Sikhism: Where there is forgiveness there is God himself.

Taoism: Recompense injury with kindness.

Buddhism: Never is hate diminished by hatred. It is only diminished by love.

This is an eternal law. For the spiritual being it is crucial to be able to "walk the talk." One cannot profess to be a practicing member of a given faith, and then behave in ways inconsistent with the teachings. Forgiveness is an act of the heart.

12. The non-spiritual being believes that there are real world limitations and that although there may be some evidence for the existence of miracles, they are viewed as random happenings for a few fortunate others.

The spiritual being believes in miracles and his own unique ability to receive loving guidance and to experience a world of real magic. The spiritual being knows that miracles are very real. He believes the forces that have created miracles for others are still present in the universe and can be tapped into. The non-spiritual being sees miracles in a totally different light. He believes them to be accidents, and therefore has no faith in his own ability to participate in the miracle-making process.

Conclusion

The spiritual dozen require very little of you. They are not difficult to understand nor do they require any long training or indoctrination on your part. They can be accomplished in this very instant in which you are reading. Becoming a spiritual being takes place within that invisible self I have been writing about. Regardless of how you have chosen to be up until now, working toward becoming a spiritual being can be your choice today. You do not have to adopt any specific religious tenets or undergo a religious transformation you simply have to decide that this is the way you would like to live out the remainder of your life. With this kind of inner commitment you are on your way. It is important to recognize that real magic is unavailable to those who choose the non-spiritual life. Being able to make miracles happen is fundamentally a result of how you choose to align yourself, how you choose to use your mind, and how much faith you have in being able to use it to affect your physical world.

About The Author

Dr. Wayne Dyer has a doctorate in counseling psychology, and is a renown national speaker and author. Reprinted with permission from "Real Magic, © 1992, published by William Morrow & Company, Inc., 105 Madison Ave., NYC, NY 10016. Dr. Dyer can be reached by writing to: Dr. Wayne Dyer, 1905 N. Ocean Blvd., #17-C, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33305 USA
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Your Innate Value
Worth

Though much of who and what we are changes as we journey through life, our inherent worth remains constant. While the term self-worth is often used interchangeably with self-esteem, the two qualities are inherently different. Self-esteem is the measure of how you feel about yourself at a given moment in time. Your worth, however, is not a product of your intelligence, your talent, your looks, your good works, or how much you have accomplished. Rather it is immeasurable and unchanging manifestation of your eternal and infinite oneness with the universe. It represents the cornerstone of the dual foundations of optimism and self-belief. Your worth cannot be taken from you or damaged by life's rigors, yet it can easily be forgotten or even actively ignored. By regularly acknowledging your self-worth, you can ensure that you never forget what an important, beloved, and special part of the universe you are.

You are born worthy-your worth is intertwined with your very being. Your concept of your own self-worth is thus reinforced by your actions. Each time you endeavor to appreciate yourself, treat yourself kindly, define your personal boundaries, be proactive in seeing that your needs are met, and broaden your horizons, you express your recognition of your innate value. During those periods when you have lost sight of your worth, you will likely feel mired in depression, insecurity, and a lack of confidence. You'll pursue a counterfeit worth based on judgment rather than the beauty that resides within. When you feel worthy, however, you will accept yourself without hesitation. It is your worth as an individual who is simultaneously interconnected with all living beings that allows you to be happy, confident, and motivated. Because your conception of your worth is not based on the fulfillment of expectations, you'll see your mistakes and failures as just another part of life's jo! urney.

Human beings are very much like drops of water in an endless ocean. Our worth comes from our role as distinct individuals as well as our role as an integral part of something larger than ourselves. Simply awakening to this concept can help you rediscover the copious and awe-inspiring worth within each and every one of us.
Akbar(Khan)

Post by Akbar(Khan) »

Words of Wisdom

Go not to the temple to put flowers upon the feet of God

First fill your own heart with the fragrance of love ....

Go not to the temple to light candles before the altar of God,
First remove the darkness of sin from your heart...

Go not to the temple to bow down your head in prayer,
First learn to bow in humility before your fellowmen...

Go not to temple to pray on bended knees,
First bend down to lift someone who is down-trodden...

Go not to temple to ask for forgiveness for your sins,
First forgive from your heart those who have sinned against you...

Rabindranath Tagore
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Blessed With A Purpose
Your Life's Work

Many people are committed to professions and personal endeavors they never consciously planned to pursue. They attribute the shape of their lives to circumstance, taking on roles they feel are tolerable. Each of us, however, has been blessed with a purpose. Your life's work is the assemblage of activities that allows you to express your intelligence and creativity, live in accordance with your values, and experience the profound joy of simply being yourself. Unlike traditional work, which may demand more of you than you are willing to give, life's work demands nothing but your intent and passion for that work. Yet no one is born with an understanding of the scope of their purpose. If you have drifted through life, you may feel directionless. Striving to discover your life's work can help you realize your true potential and live a more authentic, driven life.

To make this discovery, you must consider your interests in the present and the passions that moved you in the past. You may have felt attracted to a certain discipline or profession throughout your young life only to have steered away from your aspirations upon reaching adulthood. Or you may be harboring an interest as of yet unexplored. Consider what calls to you and then narrow it down. If you want to work with your hands, ask yourself what work will allow you to do so. You may be able to refine your life's work within the context of your current occupations. If you want to change the world, consider whether your skills and talents lend themselves to philanthropic work. Taking stock of your strengths, passions, beliefs, and values can help you refine your search for purpose if you don't know where to begin. Additionally, in your daily meditation, ask the universe to clarify your life's work by providing signs and be sure to pay attention.

Since life's journey is one of evolution, you may need to redefine your direction on multiple occasions throughout your lifetime. For instance, being an amazing parent can be your life's work strongly for 18 years, then perhaps you have different work to do. Your life's work may not be something you are recognized or financially compensated for, such as parenting, a beloved hobby, or a variety of other activities typically deemed inconsequential. Your love for a pursuit, however, gives it meaning. You'll know you have discovered your life's work when you wake eager to face each day and you feel good about not only what you do but also who you are.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Affirming An Abundant Future
Squirrel Medicine

Native Americans considered all living beings as brothers and sisters that had much to teach including squirrels. These small creatures taught them to work in harmony with the cycles of nature by conserving for the winter months during times when food was plentiful. In our modern world, squirrels remind us to set aside a portion of our most precious resources as an investment in the future. Though food and money certainly fall into this category, they are only some of the ways our energy is manifested. We can conserve this most valuable asset by being aware of the choices we make and choosing only those that nurture and sustain us. This extends to the natural resources of our planet as well, using what we need wisely with the future in mind.

Saving and conservation are not acts of fear but rather affirmations of abundance yet to come. Squirrels accept life's cycles, allowing them to face winters with the faith that spring will come again. Knowing that change is part of life, we can create a safe space, both spiritually and physically, that will support us in the present and sustain us in the future. This means not filling our space with things, or thoughts, that don't serve us. Without hoarding more than we need, we keep ourselves in the cyclical flow of life when we donate our unwanted items to someone who can use them best. This allows for more abundance to enter our lives, because even squirrels know a life of abundance involves more than just survival.

Squirrels use their quick, nervous energy to enjoy life's adventure. They are great communicators, and by helping each other watch for danger, they do not allow worry to drain them. Instead, they allow their curious nature to lead the way, staying alert to opportunities and learning as they play. Following the example set by our squirrel friends, we are reminded to enjoy the journey of life's cycles as we plan and prepare for a wonderful future, taking time to learn and play along the way.

Residing At The Helm
Being Your Own Village

Simple survival requires us to be in possession of many skills. The pursuit of dreams requires many more. Most individuals rely on the support of a village, whether peopled by relatives or community members, to effectively address the numerous ways we need assistance. This can mean anything from asking favors of acquaintances and leaning on loved ones for support to paying a skilled artisan to handle specialized tasks. However, each human being is born with the capacity to be their own village. We embody many roles throughout our lifetimes, all of which are representative of our capacity for self-sufficiency and self-determination. In different moments in our lives, we are our own counselor, janitor, caregiver, cook, healer, teacher, and student. Our willingness to joyfully take on these roles grants us the power to maintain control over the direction our life's journey takes.

In times past, human beings learned all of the skills needed for survival. Today, the majority of people specialize in a single discipline, which they hone throughout their lives. Thus, many of us feel uncomfortable standing at the helm of our own existence. We question our ability to make decisions concerning our own health, happiness, and welfare, and are left feeling dependent and powerless. But the authority to take ultimate responsibility for our lives is simply a matter of believing that we have the necessary faith and intelligence to cope with any circumstance the universe chooses to place in our path. Proving that we can each be our own villages through action enables us to accept that we are strong enough to exist autonomously. Cooking, cultivating a garden of fruits and vegetables, undertaking minor home repair, or adopting a healthier lifestyle can help you reassert your will.

Being your own village does not mean embracing isolation, for a balanced life is built upon the dual foundations of the inner and the outer villages. Rather, being your own village is a celebration of your wondrous inner strength and resourcefulness, as well as an acknowledgment of your innate ability to capably steer the course of your life.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Understanding Underneath
Experiences With Multiple Meanings

Though we humans are self-aware, we nonetheless cannot distance ourselves from the world around us and have a natural tendency to ascribe meaning to all that we experience. The significance we perceive in our experiences is rooted in our observation of patterns as they relate to ourselves. One situation has the power to teach us about life because it exposes us to something unfamiliar. Another touches our emotions deeply by enabling us to see how fortunate we are. Yet our initial impressions of an experience may not wholly reveal the true significance of that occurrence because our full response to an experience is like an onion with many layers that all have disparate meanings. Consider that a sunrise may stun us visually while simultaneously evoking memories of childhood and reminding us that each new day is a rebirth.

If you take the time to examine your experiences closely, you will discover that your original impressions may only be a part of a larger story of significance. Peeling away the layers of an event or incident can be a fun and interesting process if you allow it. To begin, relive your experience in your mind's eye and from multiple perspectives if possible. Your interpretation of any situation is based not only on facts but also on feelings, beliefs, and your values. As you ruminate upon your experience, spend a few moments contemplating how you felt when it began and how your feelings had changed by its end. Ask yourself what abstractions, if any, it awakened in your mind. If an experience stirs up questions within your soul, it may be that in striving to answer them a new layer of meaning may reveal itself to you.

The significance of an experience may remain hidden to you for some time. The meaning of an event can change when viewed from another context or may only become apparent after intense meditation. An incident that seemed superficial may unexpectedly touch us deeply later in our lives. If you take a truly open-minded approach to your examination of each new level and do not shy away from revelations that could prove painful, you will learn much about your relationship to the world around you. And the refined impression you glean from your experiences after contemplating their significance can add a new richness and texture to your life.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Subject: Deepak Chopra- What a great way to start the new year.

Ten Keys to Happiness
>
Deepak Chopra* *

Physical well being is inseparable from emotional well being. Happy
people are healthy people. The wisdom traditions of the world tell us
that happiness does not depend on what you have, but on who you are. As
we begin the New Year, it may be worthwhile to reflect on what really
creates happiness in us. The following ten keys may give us some insight.

1. Listen to your body's wisdom, which expresses itself through signals
of comfort and discomfort. When choosing a certain behavior, ask your
body, How do you feel about this? If your body sends a signal of
physical or emotional distress, watch out. If your body sends a signal
of comfort and eagerness, proceed.

2. Live in the present, for it is the only moment you have. Keep your
attention on what is here and now; look for the fullness in every
moment. Accept what comes to you totally and completely so that you can
appreciate it, learn from it, and then let it go. The present is as it
should be. It reflects infinite laws of Nature that have brought you
this exact thought, this exact physical response. This moment is as it
is because the universe is as it is. Don't struggle against the infinite
scheme of things; instead, be at one with it.

3. Take time to be silent, to meditate, to quiet the internal dialogue.
In moments of silence, realize that you are recontacting your source of
pure awareness. Pay attention to your inner life so that you can be
guided by intuition rather than externally imposed interpretations of
what is or isn't good for you.
>
4. Relinquish your need for external approval. You alone are the judge
of your worth, and your goal is to discover infinite worth in yourself,
no matter what anyone else thinks. There is great freedom in this
realization.
>
5. When you find yourself reacting with anger or opposition to any
person or circumstance, realize that you are only struggling with
yourself. Putting up resistance is the response of defenses created by
old hurts. When you relinquish this anger, you will be healing yourself
and cooperating with the flow of the universe.
>
6. Know that the world 'out there' reflects your reality 'in here.' The
people you react to most strongly, whether with love or hate, are
projections of your inner world. What you most hate is what you most
deny in yourself. What you most love is what you most wish for in
yourself. Use the mirror of relationships to guide your evolution. The
goal is total self-knowledge. When you achieve that, what you most want
will automatically be there, and what you most dislike will disappear.
>
7. Shed the burden of judgment and you will feel much lighter. Judgment
imposes right and wrong on situations that just are. Everything can be
understood and forgiven, but when you judge, you cut off understanding
and shut down the process of learning to love. In judging others, you
reflect your lack of self-acceptance. Remember that every person you
forgive adds to your self-love.
>
8. Don't contaminate your body with toxins, either through food, drink,
or toxic emotions. Your body is more than a life-support system. It is
the vehicle that will carry you on the journey of your evolution. The
health of every cell directly contributes to your state of well being,
because every cell is a point of awareness within the field of awareness
that is you.
>
9. Replace fear-motivated behavior with love-motivated behavior. Fear is
the product of memory, which dwells in the past. Remembering what hurt
us before, we direct our energies toward making certain that an old hurt
will not repeat itself. But trying to impose the past on the present
will never wipe out the threat of being hurt. That happens only when you
find the security of your own being, which is love. Motivated by the
truth inside you, you can face any threat because your inner strength is
invulnerable to fear.
>
10. Understand that the physical world is just a mirror of a deeper
intelligence. Intelligence is the invisible organizer of all matter and
energy, and since a portion of this intelligence resides in you, you
share in the organizing power of the cosmos. Because you are inseparably
linked to everything, you cannot afford to foul the planet's air and
water. But at a deeper level, you cannot afford to live with a toxic
mind, because every thought makes an impression on the whole field of
intelligence. Living in balance and purity is the highest good for you
and the Earth.
>
Posted by Deepak Chopra
>
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Peace Within
January 19, 2007 - Zul-Hijjah 29, 1427

By Alia Ahmed
There once was a king who offered a prize to the artist who would paint the best picture of peace. Many artists tried their luck. The king looked at all the representations, but there were only two that fascinated him. Ultimately, he had to choose between them.

The first depiction was of a calm and quiet lake. The lake was a perfect mirror of placid, pacific mountains all around it. Overhead was a blue sky with fluffy white clouds. It seemed a perfect picture of peace.
The other image had mountains too, but these were rugged and bare. Above was an enraged sky, from which rain fell and in which lightening played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a furious, foaming waterfall. Apparently, this was not at all, the required piece of art. But when the king looked closely, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush, growing in a crack in the rock. In that bush a mother bird had built her peewee nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest - in perfect peace!

Any idea, which one turned out to be the award-winning illustration? The king chose the second one. Why? "Because," explained the king, "peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be cool, calm and collected in your heart. That is the real meaning of peace."
The narration above, compels one to ponder and cogitate. We may state that man’s basal needs can be totted up as the need for preservation, the need for knowledge and the need for peace and harmony. Since the basic unit of humanity is an individual human, it is evident that in order to achieve peace in the outer world it must first be attained within the hearts of all the individuals. Consequently outer peace, or world peace as you may put it, is a by-product of personal tranquility and mental satisfaction of individuals that inhabit it. Thomas Kempis had said, “First keep the peace within yourself, then you can bring peace to others.” Some people have a view that peace will come to them when they control every single element in their lives. Maybe they are just oblivion to the fact that this is not within our reach. We cannot control everything in our lives. One must understand the difference between things that are within our control and things that are beyond that. The concept of Predestination (‘Qadr’) is central to this understanding. On the other hand, religious scholars and intellectuals are of the view that the tribulation and distress in today’s world may have a perspicuous cause - we have lost the path that lead to salvation by missing out on God’s cardinal instructions.

Inner peace is a feeling of calmness and satisfaction within ones heart. But the delicate question is, how can that be attained? ‘Imaan’ – the true faith in Allah subhanhu wa ta’ala and the collective term for all those beliefs on which the Islamic faith is based - is the sole positive and real ground for a person’s inner calmness and rapture. This Arabic word is derived from the root word a-m-n, pointing towards peace and tranquility that a believer enjoys in his heart as a result of practicing and bolstering these beliefs. There must be a total submission to God’s commands; no half-hearted consents. Real happiness and peace can be found by submitting to the commands of the Sustainer of this world and by remaining content and satisfied with His Decree. It is said in the Quran, “Truly in remembering God do hearts find rest.” (13:28). ‘Dhikr’ or ‘the remembrance of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala’ leads to God consciousness, which persuasively brings forth total submission to His commands. Thereupon, it is imperative that in order to bring tranquility into our lives we must live according to His Commandments.

Another significant factor that massively contributes towards acquiring a complacent soul is ‘Shukr’ or ‘thankfulness’ to God. ‘Shukr’ is derieved from the root word, sh-k-r, and its literal meaning is ‘when a cow feeds on less fodder but gives more milk’. Conspicuously, it indicates how a believer should be. He should be grateful to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala under all circumstances. To attain inner peace we must look for abundance in our lives while minimizing the negatives. We must learn to develop a sense of gratitude within ourselves for all that we have been so lucky to be blessed with. Come to think of it, most of us have a great deal in our lives to make us blissfully content but unfortunately we lack the ability to acknowledge and appreciate it. A lot is taken for granted and many blithe, simple moments in daily life are disregarded and forgotten. Ungratefulness takes away tranquility from within our hearts. As Melody Beattie had so rightly said, “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow”. So true!
The station of gratitude (shukr) is considered the best and the highest of all the stations of faith (imaan). Gratitude also includes in itself the virtue of Patience (sabr). When we look at the life of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu alaihi wassalum) we find that there is nothing greater then his patience and gratitude. He was ‘Saboor’ and ‘Shakoor’. The reality is that a servant of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala can be in one of the two states during his life time. Either he is enjoying a bounty for which he should be thankful for, or he may be suffering a calamity that he should meet with patience and forbearance. Muslim states the Hadith: “Amazing is the believer, for whatever Allah decrees for him! If he is tested with a bounty, he is grateful for it and this is better for him; and if he is afflicted with a hardship, he is patient with it and this is better for him.”
Patience mainly has three forms:
(a) Patience for avoiding the prohibitions and sins,
(b) Patience for acts of worship and obedience,
(c) Patience required in the face of afflictions and hardships.
The Quraan explicitly mentions the finest tools that may be applied to help ease the effects of sufferings and hardships and those are Patience (Sabr) and Prayer (Dhikr). It is stated in Surah-e-Bakarah, verse 152-153: “Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying (dhikr)). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for my countless favors on you) and never be ungrateful to Me. O you who believe! Seek help in patience and As-Salah (the prayer). Truly, Allah is with the As-Sabireen (the patient)”. Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala has pointed-out the virtues of Dhikr, Shukr and Sabr in this surah and their stately significance in our lives. One may conclude that ‘Sakina’ – peace and tranquility within the heart – is a gift from Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, and the most essential ingredients that contribute toward a serene and placid heart are Remembrance of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, Gratitude and Patience. Consequently, a heart that remains thankful and patient, while in constant remembrance of its Creator, can never lose peace within.
maheroonPradhan

Post by maheroonPradhan »

* Deep down in all of us lies the ocean of kindness and wisdom. Dig deep within to discover your unique gifts. The world needs you to do so.

*Understand that we are not perfect and have unresolved business. We can either worry about our imperfections and unresolved business or we can do something about it. Action eliminates incompleteness!

*To love someone unconditionally is Godly.

Azmin Jamal
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Flying Home
Free Of Gravity

As earthbound beings, humans have always had a fascination with winged creatures of all kinds. The idea of being able to spontaneously lift off from the earth and fly is so compelling to us that we invented airplanes and helicopters and myriad other flying machines in order to provide ourselves with the many gifts of being airborne. Flying high in the sky, we look down on the earth that is our home and see things from an entirely different perspective. We can see more, and we can see farther than we can when we're on the ground. As if all this weren't enough, the out-of-this-world feeling of freedom that comes with groundlessness inspires us to want to take flight again and again.

Metaphorically, we take flight whenever we break free of the gravity that holds us to a particular way of thinking or feeling or being. We take flight mentally when we rise above our habitual ways of thinking about things and experience new insights. This is what it means to open our minds. Emotionally, we take flight when the strength of our passion exceeds the strength of our blockages; the floodgates open and we are free to feel fully. Spiritually we take flight when we locate that part of ourselves that is beyond the constraint of linear time and the world of form. It is in this place that we experience the essential boundlessness that defines the experience of flight.

Taking flight is always about freeing ourselves from form, if only temporarily. When we literally fly, in a plane or on a hang glider, we free ourselves from the strength of gravity's pull. As we open our minds and our hearts, we free ourselves from habitual patterns of thought and emotional blockages. As we remember our true nature, we free ourselves from identification with the temporary state of our physical forms. The more we stretch our wings, the clearer it becomes that taking flight is a state of grace that simply reminds us of who we really are.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Being Alone

A Relationship With Self

The most important relationship we have in our lives is with our selves. And even though we are the only ones who are present at every moment of our lives—from birth onward—this relationship can be the most difficult one to cultivate. This may be because society places such emphasis on the importance of being in a romantic partnership, even teaching us to set aside our own needs for the needs of another. Until we know ourselves, however, we cannot possibly choose the right relationship to support our mutual growth toward our highest potential. By allowing ourselves to be comfortable with being alone, we can become the people with whom we want to have a relationship.

Perhaps at no other time in history has it been possible for people to survive, and even thrive, while living alone. We can now support ourselves financially, socially, and emotionally without needing a spouse for survival in any of these realms. With this freedom, we can pursue our own interests and create fulfilling partnerships with friends, business partners, creative cohorts, and neighbors. Once we’ve satisfied our needs and created our support system, a mate then becomes someone with whom we can share the bounty of all we’ve created and the beauty we’ve discovered within ourselves.

As we move away from tradition and fall into more natural cycles of being in the world today, we may find that there are times where being alone nourishes us and other periods in which a partnership is best for our growth. We may need to learn to create spaces to be alone within relationships. When we can shift our expectations of our relationships with ourselves and others to opportunities for discovery, we open ourselves to forge new paths and encounter uncharted territory. Being willing to know and love ourselves, and to find what truly makes us feel deeply and strongly, gives us the advantage of being able to attract and choose the right people with whom to share ourselves, whether those relationships fall into recognizable roles or not. Choosing to enjoy being alone allows us to fully explore our most important relationship—the one with our true selves.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Misplaced Fear

I feared being alone
until I learned to like
myself.

I feared failure
until I realized that I only
fail when I don't try.

I feared success
until I realized
that I had to try
in order to be happy
with myself.

I feared people's opinions
until I learned that
people would have opinions
about me anyway.

I feared rejection
until I learned to
have faith in myself.

I feared pain
until I learned that
it's necessary
for growth.

I feared the truth
until I saw the
ugliness in lies.

I feared life
until I experienced
its beauty.

I feared death
until I realized that it's
not an end, but a beginning.

I feared my destiny,
until I realized that
I had the power to change
my life.

I feared hate
until I saw that it
was nothing more than
ignorance.

I feared love
until it touched my heart,
making the darkness fade
into endless sunny days.

I feared ridicule
until I learned how
to laugh at myself.

I feared growing old
until I realized that
I gained wisdom every day.

I feared the future
until I realized that
life just kept getting
better.

I feared the past
until I realized that
it could no longer hurt me.

I feared the dark
until I saw the beauty
of the starlight.

I feared the light
until I learned that the
truth would give me
strength.

I feared change,
until I saw that
even the most beautiful butterfly
had to undergo a metamorphosis
before it could fly.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Vet I Met: A Veteran's Day Miracle
A chance meeting with a soldier I once knew showed me that kindness often comes back full circle.
By Jaye Lewis

I was feeling my age that morning as I limped from the parking lot up to the Physical Therapy Building.

I was pushing fifty. I was crippled, and I was feeling like a failure. Thankfully, I was happily married. However, health problems had cut short my dreams of finishing my education. Gloomily, I couldn't recall a thing that I had ever done that was important.

My thoughts became more disheartened when I noticed the middle-aged man limping in front of me--his long gray hair blowing in the wind. I just knew I'd be stuck in the waiting room with him. I was in no mood for a conversation. I knew I was in for a long and painful wait.
By the time I reached the hallway, one of the two chairs available was occupied by the gray-haired man. Reluctantly, I took my seat next to him, hoping that I could bury myself within the pages of an outdated magazine.

My bubble of protection was immediately interrupted by his curious stare. I looked up with a sigh. He gave me an uncertain smile as our eyes met.

"I know you," he said.

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I'm certain I know you."

"I'm not from here," I insisted.

"No. I've met you someplace before."

"That's impossible. I'm certain we've never met."

"I feel that I know you from long ago," he said with conviction.

In spite of myself, I was intrigued. We played "twenty questions," and we finally got around to the Vietnam War and San Francisco.

He had served in the Army. He'd been wounded in battle, and he was darned proud of it.

"I didn't do anything important," I said. "I served stateside, as a U.S. Navy WAVE, at San Francisco International Airport. I married way too soon, and I was discharged when I became pregnant," my voice trailed off.

Suddenly, the man became very excited.

"I remember receiving help from a young WAVE," he grinned, "with red hair just like yours! It was in the spring of '67, when I came back wounded from Vietnam."

He continued, "I've never seen anyone like her, before or since. She moved heaven and earth to make sure that I was well taken care of. She was a tiger, all right. I was badly wounded, barely dragging on crutches. She got me into a wheelchair, and she literally ran after a local bus, making them stop. Then she nearly carried me onboard, giving the driver careful instructions to make sure that I arrived at the hospital, safe and sound. And then she called to see how I was!"

"I didn't see her, again, until four months later, when I was heading home, still on crutches. All I saw was this WAVE fighting like a wildcat, trying to get away from some drunken sailor."

Chills crept up my spine as I remembered the wounded soldier who had rescued me.

"I just couldn't let that girl be ill-treated, after all she had done for me. I threatened that sailor with one of my crutches and he finally put her down. I escorted her back to her desk..."

"And then you went and got the sailor," I choked on the words, "and you made him apologize to me."

Tears streamed down my cheeks, as I remembered that day, and him.

How could this happen? My rescuer from 1967 was sitting next to me, twenty-five years later and half a continent away. Our lives had come full circle, and there we sat--thanking each other for a mutual kindness, long ago.

We talked for a long time, and then we parted. I learned some important truths that day.

First, people are seldom what they seem to be at first glance.

Second, kindness is its own reward. It changes the lives of both parties.

Last, I learned that though my time was short, I had served my country, simply by serving those who had sacrificed everything.

I continued that day a happier woman because I understood that a kindness given will often return to bless you again.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Meeting Of The Minds

Fragments Of The Self

Sometimes it feels as if we have many different people living inside of us, expressing themselves in voices that seem distinct from one another. There is the inner child with its wants and needs, the angry voice that expresses its opinion and probably several more as well. With all these different parts of ourselves express differing desires and needs and opinions, we may begin to feel as if we have no clarity. It is difficult to know which voices to pay attention to and which ones to ignore or dismiss. Even if we manage to move forward amidst the confusion, doubts and concerns may linger in our psyches simply because they have not been fully expressed and examined. As a result, we may have trouble being at peace with the decisions we do make.

One way to handle this dilemma is to consciously make time for a meeting of the minds within our psyche. This can be done as a guided meditation or as a journaling exercise. In both we can summon the many fragments that make up the whole of who we are and give them each a chance to speak. This can be a helpful tool in the face of a decision we need to make, and it can also be a fruitful path to take in the interest of self-exploration and self-care. When we gather the many fragments of our psyche together, the health and power of the whole is greatly increased.

We can imagine a roundtable in which we gather all the various representatives of our being, allowing them to name themselves and giving them a chance to speak. We allow each one to weigh in, fully expressing the perspective they represent, and we listen without comment. As we listen, we may be amazed at the wisdom and energy stored in these fragments of our self. This gathering brings the fragmented pieces of our psyche into a closer relationship, enabling us to move forward as a unified whole.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Of Artists, Angels, and Me
The work of a master spurs an intense spiritual epiphany that focuses on a relationship with the ultimate Master.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/57/story ... mc_id=NL24

Though it happened on a searingly hot summer day in 1994, it was nevertheless a Christmas experience that thrills me still. It came with color, light, fabric, mirrors, tinkling chandeliers, even Jimmy Stewart's Christmas movie classic. This event confirmed God's awareness of my joys and concerns. It came unannounced, a tender irony since what initiated it was a very special announcement indeed--Gabriel's declaration to Mary that she would bear the Son of God.

On that June day in Washington, D.C., I sought refuge from my tourist wanderings in the air-conditioned National Gallery of Art. I was delighted to discover a special exhibit highlighting Jan van Eyck's "Annunciation." The painting, created around 1434 in Holland, was just back from a two-year cleaning and restoration.

I majored in art history in college and particularly enjoyed the Northern European painters, so this was going to be a real treat. The exhibit rotunda was packed with people, so I waited with the rest of the crowd for my turn to view it. I attentively read the information in the cases around the room and examined the displays and examples of the "pre-cleaning" work of art

"Annunciation" depicts, as the exhibit brochure explains, "one of the fundamental events of Christianity...recounted in Luke 1:26-38, in which the angel Gabriel announces to the Virgin that she will conceive and give birth to Jesus, the Son of God." The scene is set in a church interior of the period, rather than in Mary's home. The artist's gift for texture and detail is dazzling, especially in the angel's clothing and crown. (To see a reproduction of "Annunciation," click here.)

For those with an iconographic, or "hidden picture," bent, there are enough Old Testament references hidden in the nooks and crannies of the painting's church interior, floor panels, carpet, and furniture to keep them happy for a lifetime. Thermal-imaging photography during the restoration process uncovered even more symbolic stories, as well as a few false starts by the artist in positioning the figures of Mary and Gabriel.

One of the display cases explained that art historians for years had thought Van Eyck intentionally set Mary against a dark, dull church interior, making the background two-dimensional and shallow. With the cleaning, centuries of old varnish and grime disappeared, revealing a bright, colorful, three-dimensional church interior that Mary filled with substance, depth, and compelling presence.

In another display case, I paid close attention to the words of Scripture written on the painting. They are familiar for the scene. Gabriel greets Mary as in Luke 1:28, with careful gold lettering: "Hail, full of grace." What caught my eye--and my heart--was Mary's response, from Luke 1:38, also in gold lettering: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord." The words were not new. I had read them a thousand times before in the Scriptures and every year during the Christmas season.
But this time, there was a new twist. They were written upside down, so that it could be read only from above by the Lord. She wasn't announcing this for all the world to see; she wasn't even telling the angel so he could take the message back. She was in immediate and very personal communication with God.

Could I, like Mary, develop this kind of focus? Could I remember Who it is who really needs to know my heart? Knowing that the Creator had originally set a three-dimensional-me in a three-dimensional-setting, could I act for God alone, regardless of what viewers think, what conclusions they draw from layers of lacquer and grime? Surely Mary's task remains unparalleled, but in the service required of me, can I approach her kind of humility and present myself also as a "handmaid of the Lord"?

You'd think this might be enough spiritual punch, but I hadn't even gotten to the real work of art yet. All this was from the display cases and photographs. Finally, my turn arrived to look at the painting. What immediately drew me was not the Scripture in gold lettering, not the lavish red and gold of the angel's robe, or the stunning blue of Mary's gown.

It was Gabriel's wings. They were multicolored, almost Disneyland bright. For all the images I'd seen in the cases up to that point, I was not prepared for the brilliance of those wings. It was as if the artist had placed a prism in the wings of that angel. There was the whole rainbow spectrum, with a yellow so bold it literally took my breath away. I stood there staring at this surprising angel, these spectacular symbolic wings, until the folks behind me started nudging their way in. I left the museum in a daze, awash with the images and impressions of the afternoon.

All that day, I thought about the angel references I knew, from the sublime to the ridiculous. I remembered an earlier Mormon prophet, Spencer Kimball, saying that God often answers our prayers, but He generally uses other people to do it. In those cases, aren't those people through whom He answers prayers "handmaids of the Lord" and angels, too?

With that in mind, I thought about all the common women, men, and children who had been "angels" and "handmaids," affecting my life whether they knew it or not. I thought about the stories of angels appearing at the Kirtland Temple, of Moroni appearing to Joseph Smith, of ancestors appearing in "dreams" to comfort living descendants or to urge them into genealogy. I even thought about the old Jimmy Stewart Christmas movie "It's a Wonderful Life," where a little girl announces, "Whenever a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!"
The next morning, I went by myself to the Washington Temple. It was an early session with few attendees. I was one of the first into the celestial room, which in the D.C. temple is furnished with an elegant hanging chandelier. As I walked into the center of the quiet room, I heard simple, beautiful sounds--the gentle rustling of cloth and the delicate tinkling of the crystals in the chandelier.

When I looked up, I saw a glimmering spectrum cover the walls--the rainbow array I had seen the day before in Van Eyck's painting. This of course was a reflection off the chandelier crystals, but a whole alignment of experiences held me fast. In less than a second's time, these things happened: I thought of Gabriel's wings; I thought perhaps that angels really were in the room; I looked around and spied flashes of white in reflections back and back and back in the mirrors; I realized that the reflection was my own, and I whispered, "There are angels in this room and some of them are me!"

It seems odd in the telling to admit that I have identified myself with both Mary and Gabriel and yet still feel I have learned about humility. But there it is. In the freshest of ways suited so uniquely to me, God spoke to my eyes and ears and heart. I want to live for God with depth and texture and color. I want to answer God privately--even if the world sees my efforts and attitudes as upside down and backward. I want to be a "handmaid of the Lord" willing to say "be it unto me according to thy word." I want to sing as Mary did:

"My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior, for he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden.... For he that is mighty hath done great things, and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation" (Luke 1:46-50).
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

"I Wish You Enough"
Bob Perks

The Snowman

A snowy day and a curious child yield an unforgettable lesson about healing the world.It just came up in a casual conversation. It was one of those times when a young child asks a simple question expecting a very complex answer, but then, much to the delight of the child, hears a simple one.

It didn't carry the weight of "Where do babies come from?" It didn't require a dissertation on religion in the 21st century. It did, however, need to satisfy this child's curiosity.

It was late on a snowy Saturday afternoon. The young boy and his father were cleaning up the remaining leaves and branches that had fallen during the windy approach of the snowstorm. They stopped for a moment and sat quietly watching the snow fall.

Both were bundled up from head to toe. Mom insisted, "I’m the one who will have to take care of you if you catch a cold."

So they complied, adding a scarf and hat as they walked out the door.

"Dad, my friend told me that every snowflake is different," the child said.

"I believe that's true," his dad replied.

There was silence.

"How do we know that?" the child asked.

Dad, now smiling, turned toward his son and said, "We just do."

"But they look all the same to me," the child added.

Now dad felt obligated to come up with a more satisfying answer. One so profound that his son would remember this moment for years to come.

"Son, snowflakes are like people. God makes everyone of us different. We are each unique in a very special way. How do we know that? We just do." Not a good answer at all, he realized. It falls into that category of "Because I said so."

“We can test it right now," he added.

The child stood up, put out his hand, and watched as snowflakes landed on his glove.

"They are different," the boy said. "Like people."

Then came the big question. "When they are all together, they are so beautiful," he said. "Then why don't they get along?"

"The snowflakes?" Dad asked.

"No, people, Dad. Why don't people get along? If people are like snowflakes, and each one is unique and special like you said, why don't they get along?"

Wow, that's a good question. One deserving a good answer.

"I mean, when you look at these snowflakes on my glove, they are all different. When you look at the snow in the yard, all together, they look the same. Together they are even more beautiful."

Dad sat there for a moment, thinking.

"Choice," he said.

"Choice?" the child asked.

"One of the greatest gifts that God has given us is the gift of choice. As different as we all are, we have one thing in common. We can choose what we do, how we dress, where we live, and how we treat each other."

"So choice is a bad thing?" the boy asked.

"Oh, no. Only when we choose the wrong things."

"How do we know what's right and what's wrong?" the child asked.

Dad looked around now, struggling to build upon this moment. Yes, it would have been easy to fall back on "We just do." But he was in a special place right now. He was given the chance to build upon the very foundation of his son's faith.

Dad nervously shuffled his foot in the snow as he searched his heart for just the right answer.

"Let's say all of this snow was all the people of the world. Together they are beautiful. They are now given the gift of choice. They realize how well they work together, so they begin to build."

Dad reached down and divided the snow into two sides.

"Both sides acknowledge their differences. One says, 'Let's get together and build upon those differences. Let's do things that will help the world. The other side says the same thing, but can't come to an agreement on how to do it, so they each break off into separate piles."

Dad stopped for a moment and looked at his son.

"Do you understand so far?"

"Yes, I think so," the boy replied.

Then, without saying another word, Dad continued to work with the snow. On the first side he built three large snowballs. On the other he made several smaller ones.

"Which side did the right thing?" he asked the boy.

The child looked at both sides but couldn't come up with an answer. "Dad, I don't know."

Then Dad placed the three larger snowballs on top of each other.

"It's a snowman!" the boy shouted.

"Now, which side did the right thing?"

"The side that made the snowman!" he replied with enthusiasm.

"Yes, all these people came together and recognizing how special each of them were, they joined in an effort to build up mankind," Dad said.

The child then stood up and gathered an arm full of the smaller snowballs. One by one he began to throw them at the other small piles of snow.

"What are you doing?" Dad asked.

"This is what happens when people can't work together. They have a war," he said.

Dad was stunned. He stood up, lifted the boy and held him tightly.

Whispering in his ear, he said, "I pray to God that your world will learn to work and live together."

The boy leaned back in the comfort and protection of his father's arms, looked at him and said, "I will make the right choice. I will learn to build the best snowman ever."
Bashir786

Watch your language in western countries

Post by Bashir786 »

Feb 26, 2008 04:30 AM
Prithi Yelaja
Staff Reporter

Police have charged a Brampton woman who sent hundreds of rambling emails to Premier Dalton McGuinty with threatening a member of his staff – but she contends it's all a cultural misunderstanding.

Neelam Vir is also prohibited from contacting McGuinty, his family, staff or any other politician, and barred from Queen's Park.

"I never meant to harm anyone," says a tearful Vir, 40. "My Canadian dream is shattered. I just want to go back to India."

The charge follows an incident on Sept. 30, when Vir sent a packet of mix for making gulab jamun, an Indian sweet, to McGuinty to express her "love and affection," dropping it off to staff member Monica Masciantonio.

The same night, she emailed McGuinty, asking whether Masciantonio had given him the mix.

"I said, `If she didn't give it to you, I'll kill her.' It's just slang," Vir said. "I use this term all the time with my husband and my kids. In Hindi, it's, `Mein tumarhi jaan nikal dungi.'"

Vir received no reply but, on Nov. 20, after the election, half a dozen police officers showed up at her door. They confiscated her laptop, cellphone, camera and papers, and hauled her to jail on a charge of conveying a death threat. There she spent a frantic six hours until her husband bailed her out. "I was so upset I couldn't stop crying. I kept asking, `What wrong did I do?'"

Vir's remark has been taken out of context, said Sunder Singh of the Elspeth Heyworth Centre for Women. "It's just a friendly comment. It's not threatening at all and it's not meant to be taken seriously, so there's no need for the court to be involved. That's ridiculous. Is this a way to welcome someone to this country?"

In desperation and in breach of the conditions of her release, Vir sent McGuinty another email, apologizing and trying to explain.

A few days later, police rearrested her for breaching her bail conditions. This time, the court ordered her to see a psychiatrist, pending a hearing.

McGuinty was not available for comment yesterday. "It's a matter that's being investigated and it's before the courts, so we can't comment further," said Karman Wong, a spokesperson in his office.

Peel police, who made the arrest, declined to comment last night.

Vir's tale starts with the typical immigrant story of struggle and a quest for belonging.

After immigrating in 2002, she and husband Baljinder could not find jobs in their fields though both have PhDs attained in India – hers in botany and his in entomology. So Baljinder opened a butcher shop, and Vir temporarily returned to India to teach. She also completed a degree in education there, but after returning to Canada in 2005 could only find supply-teaching jobs and work as an airport security guard.

As a freelance writer for a Punjabi newspaper in Mississauga, she often met politicians at community events. A prolific emailer, she sent messages – mainly decrying the plight of foreign-trained professionals – to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Immigration Minister Diane Finley, the provincial labour, education and health ministers and provincial opposition leader John Tory, many of whom she had met on assignment.

She sent the first of about 200 rambling emails to McGuinty last July. "In India, you can't even approach a politician. Here, they're accessible and open to hearing from constituents, so that's what I was doing," Vir says.

Thrilled to get a form-letter reply from McGuinty that used her first name, Vir mailed him a rakhi (symbolic thread) last August, referring to him as "Big B," her big brother.

At a Sept. 17 Liberal news conference at a Toronto bookstore, Vir handed McGuinty's teacher wife, Terri, her resumé in the misguided hope she might help her find a job.

Vir took her daughters, Aanchal, 14, and Muskan, 9, to meet McGuinty during a roundtable with Punjabi media in Woodbridge on Sept. 28 where she heard him say he likes gulab jamun. The premier posed for photos with the trio, who presented him with bouquets and handmade cards.

Now Vir, unable to afford a lawyer, has turned to the South Asian Legal Aid Clinic, which cannot represent her but is trying to link her with a pro bono criminal lawyer.

Shalini Konanur, the clinic's executive director, calls the incident an overreaction to an honest mistake.

"One of the trickiest things when you move into a new society is understanding what's colloquially appropriate communication. It's almost impossible for new immigrants to navigate. I think she realizes now it was a mistake, but really, how would she have known? There's no settlement agency that teaches you how to be politically correct in Canada."

It's a question of cultural semantics, adds the Toronto-born Konanur. "In some parts of India it's quite common to speak that way. ... I can't speak for all Indian people, but in my family in India they use that kind of language all the time, `Get the milk or I'm going to kill you.'"

She believes the incident could have been kept out of court if officials had consulted agencies that deal with immigrant settlement.

"Obviously on one hand they want to take the safety of the premier and his staff into account, but there really needs to be a vetting of legitimate threats and ones that are made as honest mistakes."

Vir's case comes up for pre-trial this week. Meanwhile, the ordeal is taking a toll. She must check in with police weekly. Aanchal failed two subjects because of the stress.

Vir is supposed to report back to India for a teaching job in June, but she isn't allowed to leave the country.

"I'm going through hell for a silly mistake. If I'm guilty of anything, it's being naive," she said.

"I supported the Liberals in the election. Now I feel they betrayed me."
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video: Dinner with the Greatest
'I'll never forget the night I went a couple of rounds with Muhammad Ali.'
By Martha Williamson

One night, many years ago, Muhammad Ali came to dinner. He was appearing on 'Touched by an Angel' and he made a big splash, not just on our set but all over...

Watch Video

http://blog.beliefnet.com/MarthaWilliam ... atest.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video: Life Lessons at 30,000 Feet
In this poignant video, Martha Williamson, executive producer of "Touched By An Angel," shares a story about the importance of being sensitive to others' unknown struggles.

http://blog.beliefnet.com:80/MarthaWill ... plane.html
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

8 Quick Time-Outs for Your Soul

Use this spiritual first-aid kit for those times you need a quick lift.

When life seems overwhelming and you are worried or feeling frazzled, do you yearn for some kind of escape? Here are some ways to get through those unquiet times. Each two-minute activity includes an inspiring passage from Scripture for you to read, a personal devotion to reflect on, a prayer to recite, and a practical exercise for you to do.

Click here for the first activity.
http://www.beliefnet.com/gallery/TimeOu ... ?pgIndex=1
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Red and White Roses
The Mother's Day present we gave to our mom took a lifetime to give.
By Martha Williamson

I took an informal poll this week around our neighborhood and I asked as many mothers as I could find, 'What would you like for Mother's Day?'...

Watch the Video

http://blog.beliefnet.com/MarthaWilliam ... roses.html