Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Khizar

Share small ismaili stories
Saima

Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Khizar

Post by Saima »

Apparently there is a very popular story about Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Khizar which I don't know in detail. Can someone please share?
TheMaw

Re: Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Khizar

Post by TheMaw »

Saima wrote:Apparently there is a very popular story about Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Khizar which I don't know in detail. Can someone please share?
In Qur'an 18, aayaat 65-82. Four parallel translations into English are available here: http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc ... ml#018.065

Summary: Musa meets the Green One (al-Khizr) and watches in confusion as al-Khizr commits apparent evils, only to learn in the end that al-Khizr's actions were actually wise and good.

Traditionally, the Shi'a remember this section as it teaches us the importance of knowing the truth of the actions and that the `aql of the Prophets and A'immah give them insights we might miss. Even Musa, a full Messenger, met a Prophet whose `aql outstripped his.
hussainkhan55

reality of Khizr

Post by hussainkhan55 »

I was been told by someone that Khizr was actually the imam in Moses era
Hence outwitting Moses in the parable as mentioned in the Holy Quran.
TheMaw

Re: reality of Khizr

Post by TheMaw »

hussainkhan55 wrote:I was been told by someone that Khizr was actually the imam in Moses era
Hence outwitting Moses in the parable as mentioned in the Holy Quran.
His Imam was Harun, his brother, and was definitely NOT al-Khidr. After Harun died, he was succeeded by another named Imam.

You can read about this.

Khidr is a special case. He is said to be immortal, a kind of prophet (a non-diin-bringing kind), a teacher, etc.
hussainkhan55

Post by hussainkhan55 »

His Imam was Harun, his brother, and was definitely NOT al-Khidr. After Harun died, he was succeeded by another named Imam.

You can read about this.

Khidr is a special case. He is said to be immortal, a kind of prophet (a non-diin-bringing kind), a teacher, etc.

Mew i dont thin k so.
in the whole parable Musa is outsmarted by Khizr which is vivid indicative of the fact that Khizr's knowledge superceded even Moses's which corresponds to fact that Imam being more knowledgible in person than prophet.Hence it might be possible that he took over Harun's role after his possible demise or else THERE MIGHT BE TWO IMAMS SIMULTANEOUSLY functioning together.

Citing egs of other two prophets that preceded HAzrat Musa are that of HAzrat Ibrahim and Hazrat Adam

It is widely believed that Hazrat Ibrahim had his son Ismail working as Imam but their Holy Books mentions that Imam at the time was Malchisadek who is mentiones in their Holy book.

Similarly, it is mentioned in Heinz Halm's book Fatimids and the Tradition of their learning that Adam's corresponding Imam was Abel but actually it was his son Sheesh who was handling task of Imamate.

Hence, i myself, is muddled as who were the Imam in the above mentioned prophets time . If possible can someone pls provide a whole list of Prophet-Imam who were functioning at their respective times.

But definitely its a invention that Khizr is still alive and takes special forms .... I dont believe in such beliefs which serves only to make people astray from correct descriptions of prophets. if really were tha case so then it might have been out in the media or anythiing could have happened.
YaAliYaMowla

Post by YaAliYaMowla »

In the qasida dam hama dam Ali Ali there is mention of Khidr however Rumi is saying that Mowlana Ali is Khidr's guide, which implies that Khidr may not have been Imam.

However, from hadiths we learn that Khidr was from the beginning of time and will be there till the end of time. Also, Khidr gave messages during the time of Prophet Muhammad (saws) according to hadiths. Therefore, it is also possible that if Khidr was the Imam, that Khidr is not the actual name of the Imam, rather it is a word symbolic for the Imam of the time.

Similarly to how we can call all Imams after Mowlana Ali as Mowlana Ali, the word Khidr represents the Imam of the time and thus perhaps the Imam before Imam Haroon, who would have also been an Imam during Hazrat Musa's time, was called Khidr symbolically in the Qur'an but he had a different actual name.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

So who was H. Khizar[as] after all ???

Was he an imam ??
Was he a prophet ?? or
Was he an angel ??
:? :?
Admin

Post by Admin »

He was the Hujjat al-Imam, the Imam Mustawda, the Pir of his Time and the Noor of Piratan existing to the ever present.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

He was the Hujjat al-Imam, the Imam Mustawda, the Pir of his Time and the Noor of Piratan existing to the ever present.
Thanks for your input admin...But aren't pir's usually from the progeny of imams[as] and prophets[as] ??
Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes Pir is usualy from the Imams' progeny so Khizr probably was too. But I think this rule only applies to Pirs after Hazrat Ali (the sentence I remember is "Ahl e Ali thi Pir kari janro"

There was a Pir in the time of each Imam, including in the time of Imams before Adam. the only exception is when the Imam kept the Noor e Piratan with him and not in a separate person.

i will open soon a thread on the two Noor, the Noor of Imamate and the Noor of Piratan and we can discuss there of concepts such as the Surah al-Nurayan (Surah of the two Lights) which is part of the Quran manuscript found in Bankipore or the verses of the ginans saying"Hassan Hussayn do Noor pichano, usmese Ummat sari" [from memory)
ismaili103

Post by ismaili103 »

Imam Sultan mohd shah said KHIZER IS ALI..
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

Admin said :
Yes Pir is usualy from the Imams' progeny so Khizr probably was too. But I think this rule only applies to Pirs after Hazrat Ali (the sentence I remember is "Ahl e Ali thi Pir kari janro"
But admin bhai/behen, If H.Khizar was from the progeny of H.Haroon[as] and H.Musa[as]...he[musa[as]] would have recognized him the moment he met him.....So I personally don't think that he was a PIR

And like you said the rule[PIRATAN through progeny] only applies after Imam Ali[as].....so this again indicates that H.Khizar may or may not be a PIR.

H.Khizar is often called as GREEN MAN, why??? Nobody knows

In holy quran allah[swt] calls him "his friend"

According to al-tabari H.Khizar was a mythical persian king who was living during the time of H.Ibrahim[as]....i.e way before the times of H.Musa[as]

According to al-tabari he also says that H.Khizar and Dhul-Qarnayn are one and the same :?

It is also said that both H.Elijah[Israelite] and H.Khizar[Persian] used to meet once every year and used to spend a month together = month of RAMADAN

It is said that this H.Khizar attended the funeral of rasool[saw]...According to Imam Al-Bayhaqi [sunni hadith writer]...there are only 2 people who recognized him on that day i.e H.Abu Bakr and Imam Ali[as]

H.Khizars appearance is as follows :

A powerful-looking, fine-featured, handsome man with a white beard came leaping over the backs of the people till he reached where the sacred body lay. Weeping bitterly, he turned toward the Companions and paid his condolences. Abu Bakr and Ali said that he was Khizar

It is also said that H.Khizar met Imam Ali[as] near kaaba and showed him supplication that is very meritorious.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

From the ‘Moses of Reason’ to the ‘Khidr of the Resurrection’: The Oxymoronic Transcendent in Shahrastani’s Majlis-imaktub … dar Khwarazm

This article is Shahrastani's interpretation of the Hazart Musa/Khidr encounter.

Excerpt:

Despite his strong Ashari theological background and staunch public affiliation with Sunnism, the significance of the presence of the numerous Ismaili terms, ideas, indications and allusions in his various works still remains puzzling. For instance, concerning Shahrastani’s Quranic commentary, Mafa al-asrar wa maa bi al-abrar his largest work, estimated to be ‘equal, and sometimes superior to those of Tabari or Razi in terms of precision, breadth, antiquity and variety of sources quoted’, a contemporary Iranian scholar wrote:

By studying this work one becomes intimately acquainted with the basic ideas and thoughts of this great thinker, allowing us to conjecture that beneath the cover of his Ashari and Shafi; theology, he was not unacquainted with the teachings and esoteric hermeneutics (tawilat) of the Ismaili denomination. … It is probable that Shahrastani followed their method, even if he did not allow himself to publicly declare himself a follower of the Ismaili faith.

The article can be accessed at:

https://www.academia.edu/14847080/From_ ... view-paper