Angels

Discussion on doctrinal issues
Faria

Angels

Post by Faria »

I understand that the angels are present during Abe-Safa ceremony, but are they not always present in JK's? Do they only enter when we enter? Where are they the rest of the times?
kmaherali

Angels

Post by kmaherali »

Angels are present everywhere. Most of us are not aware of or not tuned in with them because either we are too involved with our material responsibilities or our outlook is unethical. On the other hand, elevated souls are in tune with them all the time and they feel their presence all the time.

In congregation we are made aware of their presence and hence there is a consolidated awareness which reinforces or charges up the environment. The effectiveness of angels is only relative to our awareness of them or being in tune with them. Hence we recite Ashaji verses before Dua to heighten the awareness of the presence of angels and invoke their attention or participation in the ceremonies.

Different occasions entail different kinds of gatherings or configuration of angels. Ghat Paat ceremony has a higher concentration of them. If during the Ghat Paat ceremony we think of worldly matters or think evil then the angels disappear. On the other hand if one pays attention to the Ghat Paat ginaans, then the angels inspire elevating thoughts.

Angelic help is not always spiritual. Angels also assume material forms to assist individuals. You might meet someone in JK who will provide you with solutions to your problems even without you asking or mentioning them! Or you may hear a Farman or a Ginan which addresses your current circumstances.

Some interesting quotes on angels
======================
Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince,
And, flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

- William Shakespeare,
"Hamlet"

Some held the Light, while those remaining
Shook out their harvest-colored wings,
A faint unusual music raining,
Whose sound was Light on earthly things.

- Agnes Mary Frances Darmesteter,
"Dawn-Angels"

If we wish to attune with our angels and spiritual helpers, we must first learn to love ourselves unconditionally.
- Margaret Neylon

From the book, An Angel a Day by Margaret Neylon. © Margaret Neylon 2003. Published by arrangement with Thorsons / Element.

So much has failed humanity that the world has turned to a higher spiritual belief, a gentler belief. And what could be more gentle than an angel?

- Sylvia Brown

From "Angels All Around Us: 2005 Daily Calendar". Compiled by Karen Maguire/ Reprinted by arrangement with Andrews McMeel Publishing.

Angels are bright still, though the greatest fell.
- William Shakespeare,
"Macbeth"

Your angel is your steadfast companion--she lingers through dream-filled nights and busy days, and touches your actions with gentleness and warmth.
- Suzanne Siegel Zenkel,
"Your Secret Angel"

From "Angels All Around Us:

We all see angels; if we never recognize them, it's because they come in ways we don't expect.
- Eileen Elias Freeman,
"The Angels' Little Instruction Book"

Watch for synchronistic events that bring a chuckle or a little joy to you through a little angelic intervention. This is how they show us they love us and want to be sure we don't miss it.
- Barbara Mark & Trudy Griswold,
"The Angelspeake Storybook"

And no one knows you better,
Than your angels know you, dear,
For every day that you have spent on earth,
They, too, were here.
- Leigh Engel,
"Angels Are Always There"

It is not known precisely where the angels dwell--whether in the air, the void, or the planets. It has not been God's pleasure that we should be informed of their abode.
- Voltaire, "Angels"

The most important characteristic of angels is not that they have power to excercise control over our lives, or that they are beautiful, but that they work on our behalf.
- Billy Graham,
"Angels: God's Secret Agents"

Guardian Angels and their colleagues appear to us when and how we need them. They never come just to entertain us, distract us, or satisfy idle curiosity.
- Janice T. Connell,
"Angel Power"

It is impossible to see the angel unless you first have a notion of it.
- James Hillman,
"The Soul's Code"

Keep in mind that angels do not belong to any one religion; they go beyond a single religion. The angels represent the Divine energy of God.
- Terry Lynn Taylor,
"Angel Days"

You may be wondering, "Where is my angel?" Your angel may be right in front of you. Your best friend may be an angel sent to you by God.
- Susan Santucci,
"Pathways to the Spirit"
Last edited by kmaherali on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:26 am, edited 14 times in total.
Faria

Post by Faria »

Thank u for that comprehensive response. So are angels and spirits (Ruhanis) the same? Are people who pass away angels?
Can u share more about the practice of singing Ashaji before dua.
I know that it is recognized as very powerful and that people read it when they have difficulties...
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

You are welcome! This is a grey area and I would like others’ thoughts on this. In my opinion spirits are Ruhanis and there are gradations with respect to their role and status. Some are more elevated than others. I would say that beneficial spirits are angels and the harmful ones evil spirits. Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah says in his memoirs:

"Islam acknowledges the existence of angels, of great souls who have developed themselves to the highest possible planes of the human soul and higher, and who are centres of the forces which are scattered throughout the Universe. Without going as far as Christianity, Islam recognizes the existence of evil spirits which seek by means of their secret suggestions to us to turn us from good, from that straight way traced by God's finger for the eternal happiness of the humblest as of the greatest-Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed."

I have discussed the importance of Anant Akhado in my introduction to the translations in the Ginan section of this site. I have also posted an article under Ginans -> ashaji of the Forums. These cover the essential aspects of the recitation. In addition the recitations drive away the evil spirits (I think I did not mention this in them).
shamsu

Angels

Post by shamsu »

YAM Faria and K,

An Angel is someone or something that is perfect in their Farman Bardari.

A Ruhani is someone who exists in a state of awareness of their Ruh at all times. (physically alive or dead doesn't matter. Imam says "My Ruhani spiritual children")

"Souls of the deceased" (like Imam says) are Souls of those who are deceased and have not reached either one of the above statuses.

Hope this helps stimulate your intellect even more.

Bet you did not expect this answer

Shams
kmaherali

More Quotes On Angels From Other Traditions

Post by kmaherali »

What tremendous encouragement to know that we are surrounded on every side by loving and powerful protectors. Thinking of angels can ease our sorrows, strengthen our faith, and lighten our hearts.
- Ann Spangler,
"An Angel a Day

…Angels desire to share with human beings the same immense ocean of love and joy that they themselves enjoy. This is the goal toward which they are constantly trying to maneuver and guide us.
- Mary Drahos,
"Angels of God, Guardians Dear"

A man does not always choose what his guardian angel intends.

- Saint Thomas Aquinas

Angels are always nearby, ready to encourage us through inspiration, lighten our hearts, and remind us that where there is life, there is joy.

- Terry Lynn Taylor,
"Angel Days"

Angelic beings have a free will -- just as we have -- but one that -- unlike ours -– is totally focused on the will of God. This is the reason for their unbridled joy. They have found the secret of true contentment: thinking of and concentrating on God rather than themselves.

- Mary Drahos,
“Angels of God, Guardians Dear”

Your guardian angel asks for nothing in return; her only reward is your happiness.
- Suzanne Siegel Zenkel,
"Your Secret Angel"
kmaherali

Aarti and Angels

Post by kmaherali »

Verse from Peer Sadardeen's Aarti

eji satpanth dharma aaraadho moraa bhaai
to anant karodd jeevne hui chhe vadhaayi..aartee keeje........8

O momins! if you follow the Right Path(properly), then there will be good news to the innumerable liberated souls(as you will be joining them).

The angels get excited whenever men and women begin to face the truth about themselves.

- Ann Spangler,
"An Angel a Day"
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

All the loneliness inside of you
Will completely disappear;
When you realize that you’re not alone,
That your angel is very near.

- Teryl Seaman,
“Let an Angel Hold Your Hand”
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aashaajee Paanchso kunvar tenee paase ram-she
ane ramshe chodhaar jee
hurun pachaas beeddaad deshe
leve takhat nee naar....................Haree anant..297

Oh Lord Five hundred male youths will play near her
and they will play everywhere
The fifty angels will offer friendship
and they will take her to the Lord of the throne
Haree You are eternal...

Angelic assistance is part of God's universal plan of salvation...Angels...are like God's agents in the field. He purposely uses them to introduce images, tendencies, and desires that lead us to do what is right and good.

- Mary Drahos,
kmaherali

Presence of Angels and Beauty

Post by kmaherali »

In the following refrain (varannee) of the Ginan "Satgur Sathe Gotthari kije", Pir Sadardeen tells us that angelic presence is felt during spiritual enlightenment and real beauty is experienced. Hence the experience becomes an immense source of strength and happiness.

re vaalaa aaj haree maare aa(n)gann aavyaa saathe ana(n)t karodd dev laaveeyaa choud loke vadhaaveeyaa..............................1

Oh loved one, the Lord has arrived at my courtyard (doorstep) and has brought along with Him countless crores of spirits(angels) who have serenaded the fourteen realms ( heavens).

Some parallels from other traditions:

Angels never stand in the way. Angels are prisms who let the light, the message through. They are clear glass, only noticeable until the sun comes up and shines in the window. - Eileen Elias Freeman,
“Touched by Angels”

I saw the tracks of angels in the earth,
The beauty of heaven walking by itself on the world. - Petrarch
From "Angels Around Us." Compiled by Karen Maguire
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aashaajee Sarag bhamann maanhe Guru ne huru
raheshe ati raliaat jee
nuraani kaayaa moman-ni hoyshe
hoyshe tenne deen.......................Haree anant..463 (Anant Akhado)

Oh Lord A momin will be blessed with two heavens(physical and
spiritual); in the physical he/she will be with the
Guru(murshid) and in the spiritual he will be in the company of
angels
and he/she will have great happiness
The material body of the momin will be filled with light
and this will happen during his/her day(time)
Haree You are eternal...

Your two guardian angels are always with you. The other angels come and go as we need them.

- Doreen Virtue,
"Divine Guidance"

God sends His angels to comfort while He heals.

- Barbara Mark and Trudy Griswold,
“The Angelspeake Storybook”

Just as the sun is the central light for our solar system, God is the supreme light of the spiritual world. Angels are secondary or reflecting lights, pulsating his presence. They are so "imprinted" with God's light as perfect servants of the divine will that they, in turn, become lights themselves.

- Mary Drahos,

Angels speak to us with the voice of the God who sent them.

- Eileen Elias Freeman,
"The Angels' Little Instruction Book"
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aashaajee Maaree bhut ne dev rakheesar keedhaa
rakheesar jeev sohee jee
amar bhom amraapuree pohotaa
te Shaah-ne haathoi haath...............Haree anant..283

Oh Lord The devotees slayed(purified) their bodies and became
angels
indeed such are the devoted souls
They reached the eternal abode
and were received personally by the Lord
Haree You are eternal...

Dear God...May angels' wings be lent to me, that I might fly above the noise and turmoil of the world. With every moment's flight may something beautiful be revealed to me, and become a part of who I am. Amen.

- Marianne Williamson,
"Illuminated Prayers"
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Angels are aspects of God that touch us in mysterious and subtle ways and on many levels of the mind. They are divine messengers of God that can transform our attitudes, change our thought patterns and renew our ideals if we open ourselves to their heedings.

- Harvey Humann
Our lives change when we bring the angels into our consciousness. Because the angels' vibrations are so high, the least little exchange with an angel lifts us beyond the petty mundane world and sets us on a path of magic and creativity. You will forever have an enlightened view once you sense the good vibrations of the angels.

- Terry Lynn Taylor,
"Angel Days"
Have you ever wondered why it happens that angels appear most frequently in the guise of ordinary human beings rather than the heavenly, barely embodied creatures we sometimes are privileged to see? I think it’s because they don’t want us to focus on them any longer than necessary, but on the message they bring and the One from whom the message comes.

- Eileen Elias Freeman,
“Touched by Angels”
azamour

Post by azamour »

Here are some of my thougts..

Concept of God is so Pure that imagining Him doing anything material is far too low. Thus we need Angels to carry out actions on His orders. Angels are also considered Names for different powers of God. For e.g Azazil, Gabriel and Israfil for Taking life, for communication, for blowing the surr(call) for the day of judgement.

Angels follow Gods order without thinking about it, they dont really have a choice. While Humans have a choice. We all should follow Gods orders anyways but what will make us Ashraful Makhlukaat is backing up the actions with understanding. Actions without understanding while still better than No action, drops us down from superior status of Ashraful Makhlukat to a lower status of Angels.

Something I do find difficult to comprehend is as Angels follow Gods order without thinking about them how are they different then God himself?. Like my hands follow my brains order without thinking about them, thus hands are part of me.

Secondly, if God communicates with humans through Angels(Gabriel in case of Prophet Muhammad(P.B.U.H), How does God communicates with Angels?.
ill appreciate your responses..
curious2

Post by curious2 »

Don't wish to offend anyone, Angels are the representatives of God, they carry out, execute, orders on his behalf in very organized fashion. Some of them are very competent, some are not. But they are bound to work within the policy and procedures drafted by God.

Just my half-baked interpretation.
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

The angels are so enamoured of the language that is spoken in heaven, that they will not distort their lips with the hissing and unmusical dialects of men, but speak their own, whether there be any who understand it or not.

Emerson, Ralph Waldo
1803-1882 American Poet Essayist
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

As we learn more about angels and their service, we will learn more about God. Our appetite for the spiritual life will increase and our longing for intimacy with our Creator will grow.

- Ann Spangler,
"An Angel a Day"

Any time an angel makes itself known to us, all we are ever going to see is an appearance, an approximation of what that angel really is.

- Eileen Elias Freeman,
"Touched by Angels"
Angels come to us in our dreams if we cannot and will not accept them in our waking hours.

- Margaret Neylon

Angels tolerate and accept our shortcomings. We'd do well to emulate the example.

- Dan Martell,
"About Angels"

Angels sometimes block our path because we are heading in the wrong direction.

- Ann Spangler,
"An Angel a Day"

Angels impart a calmness that assures us of God's endurance.

- Kathryn Schein

Angels are sent here to guide us through our lives. They are not here to force us into any action; if they were we would never have to learn anything, and that wouldn’t be the point of life at all.

- Margaret Neylon

Angels guide their immortal lives by the law of Love, not by our desires, however noble they may be.

- Eileen Elias Freeman,
“Touched by Angels”

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.

- Irish saying
I know that when I am happy in my own backyard, I will be happy wherever I go. The angels go with me.

- Terry Lynn Taylor,
"Angel Days"
Let’s begin by looking at God’s creation from a purely spiritual aspect. The earth, as with all planets of the solar system, is surrounded by a Spiritual Hierarchy composed of spiritual beings called angels, archangels, and ascended masters.

- Virginia Essene and Sheldon Nidle,
“You Are Becoming a Galactic Human”
How do you know if an angel has crossed your path? Sometimes you don't, because angels often appear as coincidences. That is, they seem like chance events, but they are really part of God's carefully orchestrated plan for your life.

- Gary Kinnaman,
"Angels Dark and Light"
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

When someone is kind or nice to us, we say he is an angel. When someone comes to our help in need, we say he is an angel.

But did you know that human beings are the best of God's creations including the angels?

Angels are God's special creation who have been created from light (noor). They have intellect but no desire. They have been created for any specific purpose and they do just that and nothing else. There are angels whose job is simply to bow down to Allah, there are some whose job is simply to prostrate and yet there are others whose job is to send blessings on the holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and his immaculate progeny). There are also angels whose job is to seek forgiveness for the true believers, etc.

There are also four archangels and they too have special tasks to perform.

Sometimes these angels act as God's messengers.

After Cain (Kabil) killed his brother Abel (Habeel), he carried his corpse on his shoulder not knowing what to do with it. God Almighty sent two of his angels in the form of two crows. They fought and one was killed. The surviving crow dug a hole in the ground and buried his mate. Cain who was watching all this learnt from these crows to bury the dead.

Every human has two angels with him all the time. One angel sits on the right shoulder and the other on the left shoulder. The job of the angel sitting on the right shoulder is to write down everything good this person does, no matter how small it may be. The job of the angel sitting on the left shoulder is to write down everything wrong the person does, no matter how small. These two angels are going to be the witness on the Day of Judgement for whatever good or evil we do.

Animals have desires but no intellect. For example when they are hungry, they would eat anything they desire. They are not going to think if the food is legitimate or not, is it fit for consumption or not. They eat because they desire to eat. Likewise, when they have an urge to relieve themselves, they are not going to think twice about it. They'll just do it.

Human beings have intellect as well as desires. If they control their desires then they are better than the angels. The angels have no power of desire and therefore the question of committing sin does not arise with them. If humans follow their desires and become their slaves, then they can be worse than animals.

Human beings are the best amongst God's creations and that is why the prophets were sent for their guidance.

It is important to note that Satan was not an angel. He is from a different creation called Jinn. They are invisible creatures made from smokeless fire. As already explained, angels are pure beings who have no desire and thus no question of disobeying God.

God Almighty has created everything for us human beings and He has created us to serve and worship Him. God has created the sun, moon, stars, animals, etc. to serve us mankind.

We humans, being the best of creations are not meant to bow down and worship sun, moon, stars, animals, etc. We are supposed to worship One and only God (Allah), the Creator of the entire universe.

How strange! Humans make idols and worship them! The idols, who can neither see, hear or speak. They cannot even help themselves to get rid of a fly sitting on their nose. If anything, these idols should worship their makers.

The best gift that God Almighty has given us human beings is the mind. If the mind is used constructively, it can lead to eternal salvation. If not, then it may lead to eternal damnation.

On the Day of Judgement, people will be rewarded according to their knowledge and intellect.

Once upon a time there was a man who used to live in a jungle. During the day time, he used to fast and at night time, he used to pray his namaz and perform other acts of worship. He did this for a very very long time.

One day, one of angels asked Allah if what reward would this worshipper get for all the virtuous deeds he is performing. Allah showed him his reward. On seeing the reward, the angel noticed that the reward was somewhat less than what he deserved. So he asked Allah for the reason. Allah Almighty said to him to go and spend little bit of time and he would know the reason.

The angel came to this man in the form of an ordinary human being and said, "I was passing by and saw you here. I thought of greeting you. Would you mind if I stay with you and take rest for a short while?"

"No. Not at all."

After a short while, the man says to his guest, "See how much grass is being wasted! I wonder why doesn't Allah come here with His donkey to feed it with this beautiful hay."

The angel realised the knowledge and understanding of this man and also why he was being rewarded so little for all his worship.

This is why Islam has put a lot of emphasis on acquiring knowledge and pondering over Allah's creations. When a person ponders over God's creation, his understanding improves and his devotion will become stronger. This in return will call for more and better reward.

It is said that an hour's sleep of a scholar is better than seventy years worship of an a'beed.

A'beed is someone who simply performs acts of worship but lacks sufficient religious knowledge.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Prayer for Travelers

O Almighty and merciful God, who has commissioned your angels to guide and protect us, may they be our companions from our setting out until our return. Clothe us with their invisible protection; keep from us all danger of collision, of fire, of explosion, of falling; and finally, having preserved us from all evil, and especially from sin, guide us to our heavenly home. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Christian

Angels are powerful thought forms that help to hold the world together. They are the thoughts of synthesis, connection, and repair. To call on the angels is to move our attention to a higher, more creative direction, to invoke the structures of a more enlightened worldview.

- Marianne Williamson,
"Illuminata"

From "Angels All Around Us." Compiled by Karen Maguire. Reprinted by arrangement with Andrews McMeel Publishing.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The pleas of the devoted ascend to heaven,
the smoke of their sincerity ascends to heaven,
and the angels entreat God in earnest:
"O You who answer every prayer,
Your protection is being beseeched.
Your devotee in utter humility pleads.
Hear him, Lord.
He knows only to depend on You."

-Rumi, "Mathnawi"
Translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed
yaali101

Post by yaali101 »

azamour wrote:Here are some of my thougts..

Concept of God is so Pure that imagining Him doing anything material is far too low. Thus we need Angels to carry out actions on His orders. Angels are also considered Names for different powers of God. For e.g Azazil, Gabriel and Israfil for Taking life, for communication, for blowing the surr(call) for the day of judgement.

Angels follow Gods order without thinking about it, they dont really have a choice. While Humans have a choice. We all should follow Gods orders anyways but what will make us Ashraful Makhlukaat is backing up the actions with understanding. Actions without understanding while still better than No action, drops us down from superior status of Ashraful Makhlukat to a lower status of Angels.

Something I do find difficult to comprehend is as Angels follow Gods order without thinking about them how are they different then God himself?. Like my hands follow my brains order without thinking about them, thus hands are part of me.

Secondly, if God communicates with humans through Angels(Gabriel in case of Prophet Muhammad(P.B.U.H), How does God communicates with Angels?.
ill appreciate your responses..
Do angels not have a choice? Didn’t Satan disobey Allah’s command? Something struck me about the comment:
“Something I do find difficult to comprehend is as Angels follow Gods order without thinking about them how are they different then God himself?. Like my hands follow my brains order without thinking about them, thus hands are part of me.”
Are they different from Allah? Are we different from Allah?

I remember reading “Islam – the religion of my ancestors” by Imam Sultan Mohammed Shah where it said something like everything is Allah’s creation and there is constant creation, and Islam understands this. Well, has anyone though of it this way – the universe is Allah. There is constant creation in the universe and it has no bounds. I think the universe, us, everything is a reflection of Allah – I see Allah in everything (yes, even this Dell laptop). Sorry to go off topic, but anyone else think the same?
azamour

Post by azamour »

for what i know Satan was not an angel, he was a Jinn. He is made of fire and was raised by angels. Angels never disobey God.

Question,
any clue of Age of an angel, How long they live. I mean every thing has to face death. so How long does an Angel live? They were their befor adam was created. Strange to think of what will cause their death old age, sickness....
jasmine

Post by jasmine »

Angel Blessing at Bedtime

Angels bless and angels keep
Angels guard me while I sleep
Bless my heart and bless my home
Bless my spirit as I roam
Guide and guard me through the night
and wake me with the morning's light.

Amen
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The following interview/discussion talks about angels and spirits and how to distinguish between them.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/43/story_4383_2.html

What's That I See?

Is it an optical illusion, or can we really see angels when they are close by us?

Q: From time to time, I see what appears to be ripples in the air out of the corner of my eye. Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?

A: We infer that you believe you are perceiving some kind of disturbance in the atmosphere around you created by your guardian angel or spirit guide. Interestingly, you are not alone in observing this strange ripple effect, for we receive many such reports.Whether it's a supernatural occurrence is difficult to assess, but some of our correspondents say that such an optical manifestation brings them reassurance and peace of mind in the midst of stressful situations. To intensify the sense of tranquility and the feeling that a supportive presence is near, they pray for guidance and direction in extricating themselves from their present trouble and strife.

A number of Native American tribes believe that such manifestations signal the possible appearance of two spirit presences. If the entity appears over your right shoulder, it is your spirit guide making its presence known. If the being manifests over your left shoulder, it is the Spirit of Death, and you may ask it any question you wish and receive a truthful answer. The Spirit of Death has no reason to be other than completely honest, regardless how bad the answer may be, for it knows that whatever occurs, it will be there to accompany you to the Other Side.

However you interpret these "ripples in the air" that you have seen, pray for guidance that you do not embrace the concept of a benevolent guide near you until you have tested the spirit for its true intentions. And try to be objective enough to consider that some natural phenomenon may be responsible for your "spirit manifestation."

Q: Is it possible for someone to have more than one spirit guide? Why would anyone have several guides?

A: Many spirit mediums and tribal shamans say that they have more than one guide. They believe that spirit doctors assist their healing work, spirit teachers convey messages of wisdom, and a host of other spirit specialists manifest to help their human channel in his or her spiritual mission.

Whether or not these are individual entities or a single source that shows different facets of a single spiritual essence could be the topic for endless discussions and debates.

In our opinion, there may well be certain spirit specialists who assist their human operatives in their earthly endeavors. We believe that unseen "powers and principalities" surround us. We also accept the existence of spirit helpers that respond to our material as well as our spiritual needs. While we may each have one particular guide ever-near us, we may also rely on the wisdom of Spirit to guide us.

Q: I firmly believe that I have established a rich and rewarding line of communication with my guardian angel. Why is it that you seem opposed to people communicating with their angel guides?

A: We rejoice that you feel that you have been so blessed as to have developed a line of communication with your guardian angel. We are certainly in favor of everyone enjoying such heavenly link-ups. What we have continually advised is that people exercise discernment and take the time to evaluate the status of the spiritual entity with which they feel they are in contact.

We also strongly suggest to those who wish such contact that they carefully assess the qualifications of those psychics or channels, who state that they can establish such angelic communication in exchange for a fee. In our opinion, the contact is always more likely to be genuine if the guardian angel is the one who initiates communication, rather than the connection having been forced. In fact, we are uncertain whether a true angelic contact can be achieved by any intelligence other than that of the heavenly being itself.

As the title of this column indicates, we make a distinction between guardian angels and spirit guides. We believe that spirit guides come to us from an "in-between universe," a multidimensional realm between heaven and earth. Some of these guides were once physically expressed in human form; others are Light beings that have never visited Earth in physical bodies. While one always hopes to contact benevolent entities, one must understand that this "in-between universe" is also home to sometimes mischievous, sometimes negative, astral masqueraders that delight in deceiving gullible and desperate humans.

We hold angels to be messengers of God that receive their heavenly assignments from the Creator of All That Is and are therefore unlikely to be readily responsive to the trivial whims and desires of mundane human enterprises and ambitions. While we may develop attitudes of reverence and respect that may encourage the presence of angels, we are not to pray to them, worship them, or expect them to become involved in material matters beneath their dignity.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/82/story_8279_2.html

What Do Angels Look Like?

Is it possible that angels are not as sweet-looking as we humans portray them? Then again, does it matter?

Q: I heard or read somewhere that angels are not the beautiful beings depicted in art. Even though they have beautiful souls and heavenly missions, physically they are ugly, repulsive creatures that you really would not want to see. Do you believe there is any truth to this?

A: The Bible records many awesome appearances of angelic beings that might incline one to believe that at least some of the heavenly messengers are not the beautiful entities depicted in art or in the accounts of the men and women who have reported angelic encounters. The "living creatures" described by Ezekiel and identified as cherubim, guardians of the throne of God, certainly border on the grotesque as judged by contemporary human standards.

As the Old Testament prophet beheld them, each had four faces, that of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle. Regardless of whether Ezekiel actually saw four separate visages on a single head or was simply using metaphorical language to describe a single face that reflected the attributes of human, lion, ox, and eagle, the cherubim in the prophet’s vision would have had us trembling in fear and, yes, revulsion.

The figures seen by Ezekiel are suggestive of the lamassu, the ancient Mesopotamian spiritual guardians, which are described as rather grotesque creatures that often appear as lions or bulls with human faces and large wings. Such images were often placed at the entrances of temples to ward off evil. Although from our perspective and acculturation, we may consider the lamassu to be ugly monstrous beings, the people of Mesopotamia cherished them as accessible guardian spirits and didn‘t seem to mind their appearance in the slightest.

The prophet Daniel probably felt he was in no position to complain about the looks of the angel who may have spared him from death in the lions’ den. While we have no physical description of the angel who kept the great beasts at bay, Daniel did perceive a heavenly messenger shortly afterward at the Tigris River. This being wore linen and a solid gold belt and had a face like lightning, eyes like flaming fires, and a voice like the roar of a crowd. That angel, too, might well cause us to scatter in fear and hide, just as Daniel’s companions did.

We readily concede we'd much prefer to encounter the lovely angels portrayed in religious art--or in the old popular television series "Touched by an Angel." We doubt that any human being has ever seen the angelic beings as they themselves appear to each other. For one thing, angels are spiritual, rather than physical, entities, created to serve God. Throughout our many years of research and our interviews with hundreds of people who have claimed angelic contact, it has seemed to us that angels always take a form that is most acceptable to whomever they are appearing.

We long ago came to believe that the physical appearance of the manifesting angels depends almost completely upon the witnesses’ personal cosmology--their religious background, cultural biases, level of spiritual evolution. Therefore, even in this technological, scientific age, a person of a conservative or fundamentalist religious persuasion may behold angels in their traditional winged and robed personas, while a member of a more liberal religious expression may be more likely to perceive an angel minus the wings and other sacerdotal trappings. On the other hand, even those who consider themselves avant-garde may still cherish the traditional and comforting angelic images.

Throughout the years of our research, we have continued to be impressed by the remarkable adaptability of the guardian angels. In one instance, an angel could be the fireman who carried smoke inhalation victims to safety and who later cannot be found by grateful survivors. In another situation, one may be the traffic cop who prevented a fender-bender during rush hour from becoming a 12-car pileup with inevitable casualties and fatalities--and who then disappears before the real officers arrive on the scene.

Sometimes they are ordinary men and women who just happen to be there at the right time to listen with an attentive ear and offer the right words of advice to prevent a troubled soul from taking his or her life.

Of one thing we are certain: If an angel should appear to you, you will perceive the heavenly messenger in a way most acceptable and understandable to you.

So forget those stories of angels being ugly creatures with beautiful souls and hearts of gold, and focus on the gentler, more attractive image of angels as depicted in our religious and cultural traditions. You’ll be happier meeting a smiling angel than a scowling lamassu.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The following interview discusses the invocation of the four archangels and the feeling of their presence in our daily lives. It also touches upon the feminine creative and nurturing principle of God which is referred to as 'light of the Shekinah' which in our tradition corresponds to the concept of Piratan - the spiritual mother.

The mention of archangels draws an an interesting parallel with our Ginanic tradition in which the four archangels are symbolized by the four saints (Satis) as per the following verses from Ghat Paat ginans.

jeere vaalaa paatt ma(n)ddaaveene chok puraavo,
harakhe su(n) kalas thapaavo re vaalaa;
chaare sohaagann naidde teddaavo,
vadhaavo te kaayam saamee re vaalaa.

aaj mee(n)dar raleeaamannaa deese,
ruddaa saadh aaveaa ruddaa sa(n)t aaveaa aapanne gher;
parabhu jee padhaareaa mee(n)dare.................................1

O dear one, set up the table and fill the area around. Joyfully set out the vessel. Bathe and send for four happy brides, and greet the Master of the Resurrection, dear brother.
The house of worship seems lovely today. The fair company of saints and virtuous ones has entered its abode. The Lord Himself has entered the house of worship.

ejee chaare satee-u taaku(n) ma(n)gall gave veeraa
motee dde chok puraiyaa, hojire bhaiyaa......................8

O momins: Brothers, the four saintly ladies will sing joyous songs on
such an auspicious occassion and they will decorate the market
place with precious pearls, O dear brothers.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/15/story_1580_1.html

Archangel Invocation
In an interview, Joan Borysenko talks about calling angels into daily life.

By Rex Hauck

Excerpted from "Angels: The Mysterious Messengers" by Rex Hauck. Copyright 1994 by American Artists Film Corporation. Used by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rex Hauck: Each day you make contact with the angels. Can you tell us how you do that?

Joan Borysenko: My own practice of meditation is informed in part by Jewish mysticism. And Jewish mysticism has a belief in the angels. I grew up Jewish and I never knew that Jews believed in angels. My Catholic friends had guardian angels--my Jewish friends, no angels.
Several years ago I was leading a women's retreat, which started on a Friday night. And I thought, "Let's welcome in the Sabbath." In Judaism, when you welcome the Sabbath, you're welcoming the Shekinah, the feminine principle of God. And there's a song that one sings called "Shalom Aleichem/Welcome to Peace." As I researched this, I found it was a song of welcome to the angels--who come in to help you keep the Sabbath, to protect you for this holy 24 hours during which you pull yourself out of the world and you come into the divine presence. And so I found an old meditation that really changed my spiritual practice.

It has to do with the invocation of the four archangels: Uriel, Gabriel, Raphael, and Michael. And, first of all, I want to say that oftentimes when you talk about angels, people go, "Oh damn, they're all men, the patriarchy has taken over again here." But in Hebrew, those names are neither masculine nor feminine--they're all aspects of God.

Uriel--ur, in Hebrew--means "fire." And you invoke this as it comes up in the east. So, if I am facing east, as you would in prayer, I invoke Uriel in the space in front of me. The fire of God is all about clarity, so I'll ask Uriel, "Please give me clarity in this day. How can I best be of service?" Or, if I'm going through some problems, I'll ask specifically for clarity on that problem.

Then I'll move to my right, which would be south, and the angel of the south is Gabriel. Gabriel in Hebrew means "the strength of God," particularly the strength to face and overcome one’s fears. And so I'll think, "What are my fears and where do I need strength?” and I'll ask for Gabriel's help.

To my western side, in the back of me, I invoke the angel Raphael. In Hebrew, Raphael means "the healer of God." And the west is the gate of death and rebirth--this is very much like the "medicine wheel" of Native American culture. And the guardian of the western gates is Raphael. So if there's particular healing I need--physical healing or emotional healing--I'll ask Raphael for that. But I'll also think about what's dying away in my life so that something new can be born, and I'll ask for illumination or help about that thing.
The last angel would be directly to my left and that's the northern side and that's Michael. In Hebrew, Michael means "how like unto God" and is the energy of wisdom and of love. In the Native American tradition, the north is "the great frozen lakes of winter." You look in that lake and it allows you to have a mirror of your life--to get insight on the meaning of your life, to reflect deeply on things. So that's what I'll do: spend a moment or two reflecting on my life, and if there's something I really feel I need some more insight on, or true wisdom about, I will ask for the help of Michael.

The last part of the ancient Jewish practice is that after the invocation of the four angels, one is supposed to imagine the light of the Shekinah, the "divine principle of God," and that is everything created by the feminine, the nurturing, the womblike aspect of God. And you imagine that washing over you--washing over you and pouring through you. As all my own negativity and doubt wash away, I imagine my heart becoming lighter and lighter and lighter and expanding to encase me in an egg of light, which interweaves with the light of the divine. That's how I start my meditation every morning, and then I just sit in that divine presence for a period of time afterward as the bulk of my meditation.

Rex Hauck: Are you aware of angelic presence throughout the day?

Joan Borysenko: Definitely. And let me tell you, I was surprised by this initially. I started to do this practice and almost immediately I became aware of presences around the different sides of my body during the day. I'm frequently aware of the presence of Michael to my left, and I find particularly, if somebody says something in conversation that I should really take note of--or if I'm reading something that I should really take note of--I feel almost not a tapping on my shoulder, but a sense of the presence moving really closer, a sense of "pay attention!" And when I find myself afraid of something, some old fear coming up, I'll consciously call upon Gabriel. Or if I find that I am totally confused, I'll call upon Uriel. Or if I feel that I'm emotionally ragged, or if I have a headache, I'll call upon Raphael. It has become a very important part of my daily life.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

In our Aarti (Ginan Sahentar Deepme shah) there is a verse which states:

eji satpanth dharma aaraadho moraa bhaai
to anant karodd jeevne hui chhe vadhaayi..aartee keeje........8

O momins! if you follow the Right Path(properly), then there will be good news to the innumerable liberated souls(as you will be joining them).

The above verse alludes to the fact that opening our hearts and turning towards religion creates excitement in the angelic realm. The message is echoed in the following quote:

"Open your heart. The angels will count you among their peace-loving, warm-hearted friends."

-Suzanne Siegel Zenkel,
"Your Secret Angel
razinizar

Post by razinizar »

Who is Haajood and Maajood..
Are these Angels ??
is there Names are mentioned in Quran ?? with respect to the day of judgement ??
can any one explain?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

George Washington and the Angel
According to an early account, our first president was given a divine vision of his country's future.

By Johanna Skilling

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/121/story_12119_1.html

In the darkest, most difficult days of the American War of Independence, Anthony Sherman, a young aide to General George Washington, was standing outside the home of his commander-in-chief. It was in the winter of 1777 at Valley Forge, where Washington had retreated with his ragged troops after several defeats by the British army.

Sherman saw Washington leave his house that chilly afternoon, looking pale and distracted. When the General returned, he fell into conversation with his aides and told them an incredible story. Many years later Sherman recounted the story to an old friend, and his account was published in the National Review of December, 1880, and mentioned in Sherman's biography. According to Sherman, this is what Washington said:

"I do not know whether it is owing to anxiety of my mind, or what, but this afternoon, as I was sitting at this table engaged in preparing a dispatch, something seemed to disturb me. Looking up, I beheld standing opposite me a singularly beautiful female. So astonished was I, for I had given strict orders not to be disturbed, that it was some moments before I found language to inquire the cause of her presence. A second, a third, and even a fourth time did I repeat my question, but received no answer from my mysterious visitor except a slight raising of her eyes.

"By this time I felt strange sensations spreading through me. I would have risen but the riveted gaze of the being before me rendered volition impossible. I assayed once more to address her, but my tongue had become useless, as though it had become paralyzed.

"A new influence, mysterious, potent, irresistible, took possession of me. All I could do was to gaze steadily, vacantly at my unknown visitor. Gradually the surrounding atmosphere seemed as if it had become filled with sensations, and luminous...”

The woman stood before him, silently, in a silver-blue dress. Finally she spoke. "Son of the Republic,” she said, “look and learn!”

Washington continued: “I now beheld a heavy white vapor at some distance, rising fold upon fold. This gradually dissipated, and I looked upon a strange scene. Before me lay spread out in one vast plain all the countries of the world; Europe, Asia, Africa and America. I saw rolling and tossing between Europe and America the billows of the Atlantic, and between Asia and America lay the Pacific.

"At that moment I beheld a dark, shadowy being, like an angel, standing, or rather floating in mid-air, between Europe and America. Dipping water out of the ocean in the hollow of each hand, he sprinkled some upon America with his right hand, while with his left hand he cast some on Europe.

“Immediately a cloud raised from these countries, and joined in mid-ocean. For a while it remained stationary, and then moved slowly westward, until it enveloped America in its murky folds. Sharp flashes of lightning gleamed through it at intervals, and I heard the smothered groans and cries of the American people.
"A second time the angel dipped water from the ocean, and sprinkled it out as before. The dark cloud was then drawn back to the ocean, in whose heaving billows it sank from view.

“A third time I heard the mysterious voice saying, 'Son of the Republic, look and learn.' I cast my eyes upon America and beheld villages and towns and cities springing up one after another until the whole land from the Atlantic to the Pacific was dotted with them.

"Again, I heard the mysterious voice say, 'Son of the Republic, the end of the century cometh, look and learn.' At this, the dark shadowy angel turned his face southward, and from Africa I saw an ill-omened spectre approach our land. It flitted slowly over every town and city of the latter. The inhabitants presently set themselves in battle array against each other. As I continued looking I saw a bright angel, on whose brow rested a crown of light, on which was traced the word `Union,' bearing the American flag which he placed between the divided nation, and said, 'Remember ye are brethren.' Instantly, the inhabitants, casting from them their weapons became friends once more, and united around the National Standard.

"And again I heard the mysterious voice saying, 'Son of the Republic, look and learn.' At this the dark, shadowy angel placed a trumpet to his mouth, and blew three distinct blasts; and taking water from the ocean, he sprinkled it upon Europe, Asia and Africa. Then my eyes beheld a fearful scene: from each of these countries arose thick, black clouds that were soon joined into one. Throughout this mass there gleamed a dark red light by which I saw hordes of armed men, who, moving with the cloud, marched by land and sailed by sea to America. Our country was enveloped in this volume of cloud, and I saw these vast armies devastate the whole country and burn the villages, towns and cities that I beheld springing up. As my ears listened to the thundering of the cannon, clashing of swords, and the shouts and cries of millions in mortal combat, I heard again the mysterious voice saying, `Son of the Republic, look and learn.' When the voice had ceased, the dark shadowy angel placed his trumpet once more to his mouth, and blew a long and fearful blast.

"Instantly a light as of a thousand suns shone down from above me, and pierced and broke into fragments the dark cloud which enveloped America. At the same moment the angel upon whose head still shone the word Union, and who bore our national flag in one hand and a sword in the other, descended from the heavens attended by legions of white spirits. These immediately joined the inhabitants of America, who I perceived were well nigh overcome, but who immediately taking courage again, closed up their broken ranks and renewed the battle. "Again, amid the fearful noise of the conflict, I heard the mysterious voice saying, 'Son of the Republic, look and learn.' As the voice ceased, the shadowy angel for the last time dipped water from the ocean and sprinkled it upon America. Instantly the dark cloud rolled back, together with the armies it had brought, leaving the inhabitants of the land victorious!

"Then once more I beheld the villages, towns and cities springing up where I had seen them before, while the bright angel, planting the azure standard he had brought in the midst of them, cried with a loud voice: 'While the stars remain, and the heavens send down dew upon the earth, so long shall the Union last.' And taking from his brow the crown on which blazoned the word 'UNION,' he placed it upon the Standard while the people, kneeling down, said, 'Amen.'

"The scene instantly began to fade and dissolve, and I at last saw nothing but the rising, curling vapor I at first beheld. This also disappearing, I found myself once more gazing upon the mysterious visitor, who, in the same voice I had heard before, said, 'Son of the Republic, what you have seen is thus interpreted: three great perils will come upon the Republic. The most fearful is the third, but in this greatest conflict the whole world united shall not prevail against her. Let every child of the Republic learn to live for his God, his land and the Union.’

“With these words the vision vanished, and I started from my seat and felt that I had seen a vision wherein had been shown to me the birth, progress and destiny of the United States."

Washington was a devoutly religious man, who prayed even in the harsh outdoor conditions in which his army camped. If Sherman’s story is true, perhaps Washington received a vision not only of the Revolution, but of the Civil War and a later conflict that imperiled the Republic. Was it the First or Second World War? Vietnam? Or the more recent terrorist attacks on America?

Whatever the answer, it’s clear that, like Moses on Sinai, Washington may have been granted a vision of the nation which even now reveres him as the “Father of our Country.”