Ismaili Celebrations in USA & SW Council - Khushali, IDD

Activities in your jamats including posting of announcements
minajaan

Ismaili Celebrations in USA & SW Council - Khushali, IDD

Post by minajaan »

When I was a child I remember celebrating our holidays in a grand manner, such as Khushali and Idds.&nbsp; We used to look forward to these celebrations until now.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I cannot understand for whatever reasons that&nbsp;why our&nbsp;so called council is against these celebrations - especially the SouthWest Council.&nbsp; We have been advised that there will be no Dandia/Raas Khushalis for the upcoming Salgerah celebration!&nbsp; In lieu, have something that has a symbolic religious significance! At the same token, we were not allowed to celebrate the last IDD which happened to be o&shy;n a Sunday.&nbsp; Where is this coming from?&nbsp; Hazer Imam knows how we like to celebrate and infact, encourages all this in his mulaquaats and jamati visits.<BR><BR>It is these events that bring our communities closer together, and allows our children to participate in our holidays.&nbsp; Every reglion has these days and they celebrate it grand feasts, music and fun.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I definitely have never seen these kind of stipulations in the Canadian and African jamats.
salima101

Post by salima101 »

We are suffering from such a widespread economic downturn in the world. This is probably why council feels that wasting money and funds on such things as celebrations is unnecessary. It would be nice if instead, that money should be used toward projects aimed at those murids in need. I agree that celebrations are important and I think you should speak to a higher authority about this matter. Without celebrating our heritage, our younger children may loose sight and go astray.

People will learn one day that the important things in life are not about dressing up and spending large amounts in order to impress others. Grand celebrations are not always necessary. People spend their whole lives trying to please other people, non-relatives and those that seem high-class, just for the sake of fitting in with the group. You should always be yourself.. it doesn't matter how others perceive things as long as you are happy. Be true to family, they always always always come first. You may never have the chance to apologize when it's too late. Take care of your parents because they took care of you. Family stays with you forever. Friends rarely loan you money or stick with you when you need real help without any benefits attached. No one should treat friends better than family. Always try to view things from the eyes of others to realize your mistakes. Don't change yourself for someone else and don't favour people in order to please them. Understand that you're hurting someone whenever you make a poor decision. Live life to the fullest. Don't be a fool. [/i]
natasha44

Post by natasha44 »

Minajaan, I think that you need to understand the circumstances for the lack of celebrations. Salima101 is probably correct in the reasons why the council is against celebrations. I don't think that I would feel right celebrating so grandly when murids in other places are struggling just to eat. It does not seem right.

Salima 101, this is off topic but the quote or paragraph you have at the bottom of your comment was interesting to read. I completely agree with it and often wonder why so many people out there act like such idiots when it comes to family. I've noticed a family in our jamat that completely ignores their own blood-related family, but they are so incredibly nice to non-related people. They have parties almost every other week and spend tons of money to impress other people but they don't invite their own aunts and uncles and other closely related family members. They act like these people are of a lower class than them. Even if they aren't as popular, family is family. Well, this family has taken out quite a few loans and I wish they would save for their small children instead of having lavish parties this way. Anyways, they always invite this one non related family to everything. This family sucks up to them so much, its hilarious. The sucking up is completely obvious to everyone but them. But anyways, they go on vacations with them and brag about them and their children so much to everyone. They seem to be obsessed with them. Well, your comment reminded me of their situation. I think people should know the importance of family and I am glad that you posted that. Rather than obsessing over others, it's important that people realize what they have and what family really means. :)