THE IIS ACTIVITIES

Any Institutional activities in the world
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Academic Article
What is Shi‘a Islam?

Dr. Farhad Daftary
Professor Azim Nanji
Download PDF version of article (32 KB) (link is external)

https://iis.ac.uk/academic-articles/what-shi-islam

Key words:

Umma, Qur’an, Muhammad, pluralism, Shi‘a, Sunni, Ismailis, Shahada, Ahl al-Sunna wa al-Jama‘a, Ahl al-Bayt, thaqalayn, Imamate, Kufa, Karbala, taqiyya, fiqh, Ja‘far al-Sadiq, Abbasids, da‘i, nass, ‘ilm, wasi, Ithna‘ashariyya, al-Qa’im, ijtihad, usul al-fiqh, ulama, Nahj al-­Balagha, mujtahid, Imamzadeh, Mashhad, ta‘ziyeh, Husayniyya, al-Mahdi, Fatimids, Al-Azhar, Dar al-‘Ilm, tawhid, Nasir-i Khusraw, ta‘lim, Alamut, Aga Khan, Khoja, Ginan, bay‘a, Shari‘a, Jamatkhana, Da‘i Mutlaq, Bohra, ma‘sum, Mu‘tazili, Daylami, Qasimiyya, Nasiriyya

Table of Contents:

The Early History of Shi‘ism
Imami or Twelver Shi‘ism
Developments in the Modern Period
Doctrines and Practices of Twelver Shi‘ism
Ismaili Shi‘ism
The Nizari Ismailis
Developments in the Modern Period
Doctrines and Practices
The Musta‘li Ismailis
Zaydi Shi‘ism
mahebubchatur

Mandate and objectives of IIS

Post by mahebubchatur »

“The Institute of Ismaili studies (IIS), programmes seek to promote intellectual and literary expressions of Shi'ism in general, and Ismailism in particular. “

Therefore & foundationally, Ismaili Firmans, must be included, with Ismaili ginans constitution and the related manuscripts with translations & research.

Despite the IIS mandate and Firmans from Hazar Imam, these are not available in the IIS Library or to Scholars. Link to Firmans to share and give Firmans .. read and download http://ismaili.net/timeline/2018/101-proofs-chatur.pdf

“In recent decades, the field of Ismaili Studies has been revolutionized due to the recovery and study of genuine Ismaili sources & manuscripts which have been secretly preserved in private collections in India, Pakistan, Central Asia, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, and Yemen.”

“A pioneer of Ismaili Studies, Wladimir Ivanow (1886-1970), along with Fyzee (1899-1981) and others, gained access to Nizari literature preserved in above noted regions. “

“Ivanow compiled the first detailed catalogue of Ismaili works, citing some 700 titles confirming the richness and diversity of the Ismaili literature and literary traditions. The publication of this catalogue in 1933 provided a scientific frame for further research, thus initiating a new era in Ismaili Studies. “

“Ismaili scholarship developed further through the establishment in 1933 of the Islamic Research Association, which was transformed in 1946 to the Ismaili Society of Bombay under the patronage of Mawlana Sultan Muhammad Shah (1877-1957). “

Today IIS have collected thousands of related manuscripts and material. However like Firmans, they are blocked from scholarship, research and sharing with Ismailis on request, and even Ismaili students and Waezeens- Scholars.

Some Ismaili individuals and scholars have also been collecting manuscipts, which are in the process of translations and will be released soon on this website.

“it is absolutely critical – more than ever – that the public should have somewhere to turn for reliable, balanced, objective and accurate information, as best as it can be discovered. “ (Aga Khan)

References : 
Daftary, Farhad. “Anjoman-e Esma‘ili (lsma‘ili Society)”

Website of The Institute of Ismaili Studies
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

Memorandum of Agreement Signed between IIS and SOAS University of London
7th September 2018

On 6 September 2018, the IIS hosted a celebratory event at the Aga Khan Centre to commemorate the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement between SOAS University of London and The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS). The Memorandum of Agreement is a formal arrangement whereby SOAS will award MA degrees for the Graduate Programme in Islamic Studies and Humanities (GPISH) and the Secondary Teacher Education Programme (STEP).

Both GPISH and STEP were designed by the IIS following extensive consultations with a wide range of stakeholders and experts in the field of Islamic Studies. The Institute has always worked towards designing and delivering programmes that could match – and possibly exceed – the quality standards of leaders in the UK Higher Education sector. As a result of these efforts, the IIS’ work and efforts have been consistently rewarded by reviewers, from external examiners and consultants up to the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) - the governing body responsible for the quality assurance of Higher Education institutions nationwide. Commenting on the shared vision of the two institutions, Professor Deborah Johnston, Pro-Director (Learning and Teaching) at SOAS University of London said:

“SOAS and The Institute of Ismaili Studies have a history of working together and a shared interest in developing scholarship around the study of Islamic history, tradition and culture from a range of perspectives. Both institutions seek to examine Muslim cultures and societies from a number of disciplines - from the arts and literature to society and politics. SOAS’s move to validate IIS programmes acknowledges their excellent quality and, in particular, we commended IIS on their work around student support and professional development opportunities for staff. Together we look forward to making a significant contribution to enhancing the study of these subjects.”
The agreement with SOAS means that for the first time since the inception of GPISH, students who join the programme from September 2019 onwards, will receive a double Master’s degree. An MA in Islamic Studies and Humanities will be awarded by SOAS for the first two years of the programme. Their second Master’s degree will be conferred after the completion of their third year by a UK degree-granting university in a subject area that resonates with the aims of the graduate programme. In addition, STEP graduates will also be awarded an MA in Muslim Societies and Civilisations by SOAS, and a further Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Reflective Practice (PGDip), by UCL Institute of Education.

Reflecting on the formalisation of the partnership, Dr Farhad Daftary, Director of the IIS said:

“The accreditation by SOAS is a significant milestone in the history of the IIS’ graduate programmes, and further strengthens our long-standing relationship with an institution that shares our ethos of promoting scholarship and the learning of Muslim cultures and societies. The formalisation of our continued academic partnership will enhance the sharing of knowledge, exchange of ideas and potentially even foster collaborative research and publications in the future. It also gives me great pride that this momentous partnership has coincided with the Diamond Jubilee of His Highness the Aga Khan, and the fortieth anniversary of the IIS.” (IIS)
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

A historic milestone: Memorandum of Agreement signed between The Institute of Ismaili Studies and SOAS University of London

On 6 September 2018, The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS) hosted a celebratory event at the Aga Khan Centre to commemorate the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement between SOAS University of London and the IIS. The Memorandum of Agreement is a formal arrangement whereby SOAS will award MA degrees for the Graduate Programme in Islamic Studies and Humanities (GPISH) and the Secondary Teacher Education Programme (STEP).

More and photos at:

https://the.ismaili/news/historic-miles ... university
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Reading Guide

Assassin Legends: Myths of the Ismailis

A Reading Guide prepared by Nabila Hussein for the Department of Community Relations, 2014

TheAssassinLegendsMythsoftheIsma‘ilisFarhadDaftaryI.B.Tauris&CoLtd,2001.A Reading Guide prepared by Nabila Hussein for the Department of Community Relations, 2014 Farhad Daftary’s The Assassin Legends: Myths of the Isma‘ilis, seeks to deconstruct the fabricated stories about the Nizari Isma‘ilis as hashish smoking killers, obedient to their leader, the “old man of the mountain”. By charting the origin and evolution of these legends, and investigating the historical circumstances that allowed for their immense popularity, Daftary attempts to reveal these legends as nothing more than “the imaginative constructions of uninformed observers

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/reading-guides/assass ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Renaissance of Shi'i Islam in the 15th–17th Centuries:
Facets of Thought and Practice

CONFERENCE PROGRAMME

3-5 OCTOBER 2018

Aga Khan Centre
London, United Kingdom

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/sites/default/files/i ... nce_cp.pdf
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IIS Publishes The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam

As part of its Diamond Jubilee series of publications, the IIS has released the first English translation and a new Persian edition of the memoirs of Aga Khan I. The Persian text has been edited using the original manuscript and previously published editions in Persian, and translated into English by Dr Daniel Beben and Dr Daryoush Mohammad Poor. The book has an insightful foreword by Dr Farhad Daftary and a comprehensive introduction by Dr Daniel Beben, providing a detailed historical background and analysis of the events relevant to the life of Aga Khan I.

The text of the ‘Ibrat-afza as a primary source is particularly significant in terms of three distinct contexts: the Nizari Ismaili Imamat; power politics at the contemporary Qajar court of Persia with its strong Sufi underpinnings; and the evolving relations between Aga Khan I and the British in India. The memoir provides insights into the Aga Khan’s move from Persia to India and details the journey he and his companions made in the middle of the 19th century. It begins with a brief account of his childhood and the relationship the Ismaili Imamat had with the Qajar dynasty, before exploring the tensions that arose between the two, and the final departure of Aga Khan I from Persia. The book details the subsequent settlement of Aga Khan I in India, which effectively moved the Seat of the Nizari Ismaili Imamat there in 1851, after being in Persia for more than seven centuries.

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/news/iis-publishes-fi ... maili-imam
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Exploring Shi‘ite Hadith, Law and Theology

On 29 October, the Shi‘i Studies Unit at The Institute of Ismaili Studies in collaboration with the Law, Authority and Learning in Imami Shi‘ite Islam (LAWALISI) Project from the University of Exeter held an interactive workshop at the Aga Khan Centre, entitled, Hadith, Law and Theology in Early Shiʿite Islam.

Speaking about this unique collaboration with the LAWALISI Project, Dr Gurdofarid Miskinzoda, Head of the Shi‘i Studies Unit at IIS said:

“This workshop was a perfect example of what we want to achieve in our collaborative work with major universities in the area of Shi‘i Studies. It was an absolute privilege to work with Professor Gleave of the University of Exeter and the LAWALISI Project. The workshop focused on two important aspects which have been under-researched – the study of Shi‘i Law and Hadith. In this regard, it represented a shared concern for us in expanding and advancing scholarship on Shi‘i Law and Hadith through engaging multi-disciplinary and comparative approach. We look forward to many future collaborations with the LAWALISI Project.”

Through a study of early Shi‘ite hadith and important aspects of law, this text-based workshop was an opportunity for emerging and established scholars working in the field of Shi‘i Studies in general, and Sunni and Shi‘ite law and hadith in particular, to share and discuss their research in an informal setting. A variety of research areas were explored during the workshop by scholars from IIS, University of Exeter, SOAS and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

During the workshop a number of findings from new and ongoing research projects were presented, which will help to shape discussions in modern scholarship on Shi‘i Islam. Reflecting on his experience, Professor Rob Gleave, Professor of Arabic Studies and Director of the Centre for the Study of Islam (CSI) at the University of Exeter said:

“The workshop was a fascinating opportunity to bring together early career academics working in the area of Shi‘i hadith studies. The various papers demonstrated how the field has developed over the past ten years and, whilst there is much to be done, the workshop outlined the possible future lines of enquiry. For the LAWALISI project it was an important opportunity to deepen our connections with The Institute of Ismaili Studies and share research results.”

The LAWALISI project is funded by the European Research Council. Their aim is to examine the emergence, development and operation of the Shi‘ite legal system – focusing on how Shi‘ite legal thinkers conceived the divine law, and how legal practitioners from the past and in contemporary times observe the functions of law.

The Shi‘i Studies Unit continues to carry out high-quality research in Shiʿi history, thought, interpretations of the Qur'an, religious law, intellectual traditions, the role of religious authority, the formation of rites and ceremonies, and the important contributions of Shiʿi communities to the intellectual traditions, arts, music, architecture and literature through the ages.

https://iis.ac.uk/news/exploring-shi-it ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Conference videos The Renaissance of Shiʿi Islam in the 15th–17th Centuries: Facets of Thought and Practice

IIS held its third Shi‘i Studies conference entitled, The Renaissance of Shiʿi Islam in the 15th–17th Centuries: Facets of Thought and Practice, from 3-5 October 2018 at the Aga Khan Centre. The Shi ‘i Studies conference investigated and evaluated the intellectual contributions of Shi‘i Muslims during this complex period.

The 15th century marked a renaissance for the Ismaili and Twelver Shiʿi traditions after centuries of marginalisation. It was with the commencement of the Imamat of Mustansir biʾllah II around 868/1463– 1464, that the Anjudan revival of the Nizari Ismailis began. Around the same time, several Shiʿi messianic movements emerged in Iran and spread to neighbouring countries. One of these, the Safavids, became particularly successful. In 1500, led by the youthful Ismail I, the Safavid forces defeated the army of the Aq Qoyunlu, and a year later, in the summer of 1501, took their capital Tabriz, therefore establishing the Safavid state which then became an empire and the first major Shiʿi power since the fall of the Fatimids in 1171. The conference sought to explore many unexplored questions from this multifaceted era. Held at the newly opened Aga Khan Centre in London’s Knowledge Quarter, this international conference brought together established and emerging scholars from around the world, as well as educators, researchers, students, and those with a general interest in the subject.

A publication of the conference proceedings is planned to be released in the future, under the Shi‘i Heritage Series. Publications in this series focus on the general knowledge of Shi‘i Islam and on promoting a better understanding of its history, doctrines and practices in their historical and contemporary contexts. 

Videos at:

https://iis.ac.uk/news/conference-video ... d-practice
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video

Sana'a Palimpsest and the Early Manuscripts of the Qur'an

https://iis.ac.uk/video/sanaa-palimpses ... ipts-quran

This short video introduces one of the oldest manuscripts of the Qur’an, the Sana‘a Palimpsest, dating back to the 1st-2nd century AH / 7th century CE.
This short video introduces one of the oldest manuscripts of the Qur’an, the Sana‘a Palimpsest, dating back to the 1st-2nd century AH / 7th century CE. The manuscript was discovered in Yemen, during the 1972 restoration of the Great Mosque of Sana'a. The manuscript has 38 leaves on which two superimposed Qur’anic texts are written. The lower text dates back to the 7th century CE, and was subsequently erased for a second text of the Qur’an to be written on it around the 8th century CE. The two layers were photographically separated by a French–Italian scientific mission in 2007 enabling a study showing that both the Qur’anic texts are fragmentary and present aspects of work in progress, with incomplete decorative elements in the upper text and in the lower text an early reading instruction being rendered visible.

In 2017, IIS published The Sana‘a Palimpsest: The Transmission of the Qur’an in the first centuries AH presenting a new annotated edition of the two layers of the Sana‘a Palimpsest (Manuscript 0127-1 from Dar al-Makhtutat, Sana‘a). The author, Dr Asma Hilali, provides a comprehensive introduction to the Sana‘a Palimpsest, with systematic reference to previous studies and partial editions of the same manuscript. Based on her own decade-long study of the Sana‘a Palimpsest, she presents a new hypothesis regarding the context of transmission for the texts in both layers of the manuscript.

At the roundtable Approaching Religious Texts in Early Islam the participating scholars critically acclaimed Dr Hilali’s work on the Sana‘a Palimpsest, and shared views on how early Qur’anic manuscripts, such as the Sana‘a Palimpsest, help to further the academic research on the early periods of Islam.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IIS Update 2018

Find out more about the key initiatives and achievements of IIS in its fortieth anniversary year. The IIS Update includes information about the Institute’s recent and forthcoming projects, as well as news about its publications and staff.

pdf file at:

https://iis.ac.uk/iis-update/iis-update-edition-18
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Islam: An Illustrated Journey

Video:

https://iis.ac.uk/video/islam-illustrated-journey

Travelling through more than fourteen-hundred years of the history of Islam, from formative era to its place in the modern world, the book explores the many social and cultural landscapes of Arabia, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Central Asia, China, the Americas and Europe where Islam was adopted and took root.
Islam: An Illustrated Journey provides a fresh perspective on Islamic history, covering all the major Islamic dynasties, major doctrinal branches and orientations including Sunni, Shiʿi, Ibadi and Sufi communities of interpretation, as well as the contributions of Islam’s key historical personalities, both men and women, Islam an Illustrated Journey provides general readers a fresh perspective on Islamic history.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IIS short courses now open for applications

As longtime supporters of The Institute of Ismaili Studies you or your family members may be interested in attending one of the short courses available as part of the IIS's Continuing Education Programme (CEP).

In 2019, we will be offering the following six short courses:

These courses are designed to introduce participants to a social, cultural and civilisational approach to the study of Islam and Muslim societies, with a particular focus on Ismaili contexts. The programme aims to provide a forum in which participants and faculty can develop frameworks and vocabulary to engage with the issues explored during the programme.

Eligibility Criteria: The programme is open to members of the Jamat with an undergraduate degree and proficiency in English.

Course fees: from £525/£600 depending on course chosen (limited subsidy towards course fees available for a few successful applicants).

Application Deadline: Sunday, 31st March, 2019.

CEP course catalogue

Download Brochure

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... ramme-2019
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Annemarie Schimmel Memorial Lecture
29th March 2019
Aga Khan Centre
10 Handyside Street
London
N1C 4DN
United Kingdom

Paradise Found: Ayn al-Qudat on Qur’anic Origins

More at:

https://iis.ac.uk/events/annemarie-schi ... al-lecture

Lifelong Learning Articles

Between Love and Social Aspiration: The Influence of Sufi and Greek Concepts of Love on the Sociopolitical Thought of the Ikhwan al-Safa, Miskawayh and al-Tawhidi

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/lifelong-learning-art ... cepts-love
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Memoirs of the First Aga Khan

Video:

https://iis.ac.uk/video/memoirs-first-aga-khan

Who was the first Aga Khan? Learn about the life of Hasan Ali Shah, the 46th Imam of the Nizari Ismailis and the first Ismaili Imam to bear the title of Aga Khan, from his memoirs Ibrat Afza.
The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam offers a new Persian edition and the first English translation of the Ibrat-afza, the memoirs of Aga Khan I. The Ibrat-afza was composed in the year 1851, following the Imam’s departure from Persia and his permanent settlement in India.

the_first_aga_khan_cover.jpg

The text recounts the Aga Khan’s early life and political career as the governor of the province of Kirman in Iran, and narrates the dramatic events of his conflict with the Qajar establishment in Iran and his subsequent travels and exploits in Afghanistan and British India. The Ibrat-afza provides a rare example of an autobiographical account from an Ismaili Imam and a first-hand account giving a window into the history of the Ismailis of Iran, India and Central Asia at the dawn of the modern era of their history. Consequently, the book will be of great interest to both researchers and general readers interested in Ismaili history and in the history of the Islamic world in the nineteenth century.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IIS Partners with Cambridge Professional Development Qualification to Train Teacher Educators

The edifice of effective student learning, which is at the heart of a good education system, has long been deemed to reside upon at least two pillars – the quality of curriculum and the quality of teaching. For children, the teacher is undoubtedly significant among many other factors that attract them to attend classes. Religious education teachers in particular are expected to play a pivotal role in educating, developing and nurturing the character of the young. Thus, teacher educators arguably have a heavier responsibility as they act as “teachers of teachers”.

In order to meet the needs of religious education in the ever changing society, The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS) has partnered with the Professional Development Qualification (PDQ) Unit of Cambridge Assessment International Education to design and implement a pilot programme for primary-level teacher educators from the Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Boards (ITREBs). The programme is geared towards supporting the teacher educators to deliver the IIS’s curriculum, drawing upon new research and modern principles of education, making learning a creative and engaging experience for young minds, as well as seeking to bridge religious and secular education.

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/news/iis-partners-cam ... -educators
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Book Launch - The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam

1st May 2019
Aga Khan Centre
10 Handyside Street
London
N1C 4DN
United Kingdom

Registration and more...

https://iis.ac.uk/events/book-launch-programme
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Tenth STEP Graduation Celebrates the Class of 2018

On 13 April 2019, twenty-eight students graduated from the Secondary Teacher Education Programme (STEP) at The Ismaili Centre, London. Students from Canada, India, Kenya, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Tanzania and the USA received a double Master’s degree: an MA in Education (Muslim Societies and Civilisations) and an MTeach (Master of Teaching). Both degrees were awarded by University College London Institute of Education (UCL IOE) (link is external) and were presented to the graduates by Dr Farhad Daftary, Co-Director at IIS, and Dr Joanne Pearce (link is external), Principal Teaching Fellow at UCL IOE.

A keynote address was delivered by Professor Terence Lovat, Emeritus Professor and former Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean of Education at the University of Newcastle, Australia; Honorary Professor at Glasgow University and Research Fellow at Oxford University, UK. He shared his personal reflections on how a sound religious education can help young people to navigate through their lived experiences in today’s world, stating that:

“There are so many crucial things happening in our world at so many levels, which can only be unravelled by means of a certain kind of religious and theological literacy… It’s this kind of literacy, in my own view, that should be driving much of what constitutes as religious education in our schools, institutes and universities - helping young people to understand the important role, the good and ill, that religion plays in their world. What benefit in an education that fails to do this? By receiving the training, you have, you’re in an ideal position to fill the gaps that have been created I think in western society, through a series of what, Jürgen Habermas, the German philosopher calls ‘blind spots.’ One of these blind spots relates to the need for balancing the curriculum, and the other for a sound balanced and well-informed religious education, not one that’s merely there for internal polemical consumption but there to inform and prepare young people for the world in which they’re moving.”

This year’s valedictorian, Alisha Hussein Manji Esmail from Tanzania, received a double distinction in her MA and MTeach degree, and the Outstanding STEP Student Award for her exceptional performance during the two-year programme. Reflecting on the journey that lies ahead, she spoke about the value of putting knowledge into action and commented:

“Ghazali, an influential Muslim thinker rightly said, ‘Knowledge without action is vanity, and action without knowledge is insanity’. Thus, highlighting the complementarity between knowledge and action. I share these thoughts with you today, so that as we vision ourselves in this larger narrative, we may reflect upon our dual roles as leading learners and religious education teachers, so that we remind ourselves that the search from knowledge is a never-ending process that involves the continuous learning, unlearning and re-learning of what is familiar and what is unfamiliar. I am convinced that a metacognitive reflection on this matter will enable us to address and dialogue on issues facing the contemporary Muslim world. It will allow us to serve as ambassadors who can actively bridge knowledge and action.”

A further four students also received a distinction in either, both or one of their MA or MTeach degrees. An honorary STEP teacher title was bestowed on the late Mumtaz Mehboob (1987 – 2018).

According to Dr Laila Halani, Head of Graduate Studies at IIS, the success of the graduates is a testament to the dedication and hard work of both the graduates and the faculty at the IIS and the UCL IOE. Looking to how the graduates can shape the next generation of learners, Dr Halani reminded the graduates about their responsibilities as STEP teachers, not only as potential role models for their students, but also as exemplars for the community. In her address, Dr Halani advised:

“The solution is not to try and teach values to your students but to develop them within yourselves. Your struggles, your stumbles, and your successes will inspire your students to emulate you. That is how you become a role model. Striving to become the human beings that you want your students to be, is the first step to being a role model. As you grow into your roles as STEP teachers, as educators – who never stop being students themselves – whose curiosity is matched by that of the youngsters they teach, you will touch the lives and souls of the youth. You will be the role model. And I wish you and your families the very best as you embark on this ambitious journey.”

This year marks the tenth graduation ceremony since the inception of the Secondary Teacher Education Programme. There are now 314 STEP teachers from 14 countries who have graduated from the programme and are now serving at the Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Boards (ITREBs) in over 20 countries around the world. The new graduates will join the pool of global educators serving as secondary level religious education teachers and delivering the Institute’s Secondary Curriculum in their home countries.

Post-graduation, the graduating class attended a STEP Continuing Professional Development Programme (CPD) from 14 – 17 April 2019. The CPD consolidates and expands upon the areas of learning explored during their two-year programme. Based on the initial field experiences of the graduands, the CPD intervention helps participants to identify, assess and plan towards areas of professional growth and learning through guided self-initiatives.

Photo at:

https://iis.ac.uk/news/tenth-step-gradu ... class-2018
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Faith and Ethics Book Launch

On 11 April, author Ali Lakhani gave audiences at the Ismaili Centre, London, fresh insights into his latest book Faith and Ethics: The Vision of the Ismaili Imamat. He was joined by Mahmood Ahmed, Chairman of Aga Khan Foundation UK, for an on-stage conversation where they explored the significance and correlation between faith and ethics.

In his introduction, Mahmood Ahmed spoke about the distinctiveness of the book, which does not approach the subject of faith from a theological perspective, but rather from a metaphysical perspective. He also commended the accessibility and relevance of the content, commenting:

“It’s full of many examples of quotations from philosophers and poets such as

TS Elliot, Sa‘di to Charles Dickens. There are many examples. That’s one of the strengths that Ali has. He is extremely well read. He reads intelligently and captures a lot of the wisdom of authors of the ages and that is reflected in this book.”

Faith and Ethics is one of the first books to provide an extensive survey of His Highness the Aga Khan’s aspirations, demonstrating how the values of Islam are at the forefront of all his work. The Aga Khan, the hereditary Imam of the Ismaili Shi’a Muslims, has long maintained that one of the central elements of the Islamic faith is the inseparable nature of faith (din) and worldly life (dunya), which are deeply intertwined. Humans are expected to integrate their outer conduct with their inner being. This means living in accordance with the ethical principles that promote integrity and human dignity. Speaking about the notion of living faith, Ali Lakhani remarked:

More...
https://iis.ac.uk/news/faith-and-ethics-book-launch
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Annemarie Schimmel Memorial Lecture Explores Ayn al-Qudat’s Perspective on Qur’anic Origins

In honour of the late Professor Annemarie Schimmel, IIS held its annual memorial lecture on 29 April, entitled Paradise Found: ʿAyn al-Qudat on Qur’anic Origins delivered by Professor Mohammed Rustom, Associate Professor of Islamic Studies at Carleton University.

Given the importance of Ayn al-Qudat Hamadani (d. 525/1131), there is relatively little scholarship on him that is entirely reliable, and major features of his thought - such as his engagement with the Qur’an - remain unexamined. Ayn al-Qudat was a mystic, philosopher, theologian, and judge who was born in the western Iranian city of Hamadan. He was the student of Ahmad al-Ghazali(d. 520/1126), and is best known as a maverick-like figure who was put to death by the Seljuq government at the tender age of thirty-four, ostensibly on charges of heresy. Looking beyond the causes surrounding his state-sponsored execution and to his writings, ʿAyn al-Qudat emerges as a first-rate thinker who was thoroughly conversant in the Islamic intellectual and spiritual sciences, along with Arabic and Persian poetry.

During the lecture, Professor Rustom took the opportunity to share some of the key features of Ayn al-Qudat’s Qur’anic vision. He focused on the importance that he placed upon the Qur’an’s all-encompassing nature, and his notion of cultivating “worthiness” (ahliyya) in order to better understand the depths of the Qur’an. Professor Rustom said:

“One perspective is that Ayn al-Qudat’s equates the Qur’an itself with Paradise. However far off this may seem to most people. He has said that, ‘Paradise is the Qur’an, but you are unaware.’ From another perspective, he likens the Qur’an to a rope, in keeping with the well-known hadith which states the Qur’an is a rope that extends from heaven to earth. This rope allows the one who grasps it to be pulled into the very presence of God…When you see the beauty of the Qur’an, you will come out of habit worship, such that you will become worthy of the Qur’an. These people are worthy as they have reached the reality of God’s word itself.”

Attendees also had the opportunity to view the voluminous Annemarie Schimmel Collection during their tour of the Aga Khan Library, London. The collection is part of the late Professor Schimmel’s personal collection, which was donated, upon her request, to the various scholars and institutions with whom she was affiliated with.

Mohammed Rustom who is a recipient of the 2018 Annemarie Schimmel Fellowship programme referred to her as, “Someone who we inspire to be like. She used to be such a great historian and I try to embody that in my writings.” The Fellowship is presented every three years to a scholar working in fields of interest to the late Professor Schimmel such as Islamic mysticism, Arabic, Persian and South Asian literatures and literary and artistic expressions of Muslim devotional life.

https://iis.ac.uk/news/annemarie-schimm ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

IIS Book Launch of The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam

While the Fatimid and Alamut periods have received considerable scholarly attention and are more widely written about, the Nizari Ismaili history of the 19th century has had much less coverage. Shedding light on this understudied, yet significant period in Ismaili history, the joint Editors of The First Aga Khan: Memoirs of the 46th Ismaili Imam, Dr Daniel Beben and Dr Daryoush Mohammad Poor, gave insightful presentations and discussed the remarkable life and career of the 46th hereditary Ismaili Imam - Hasan Ali Shah - during a book launch event on 1 May at the Aga Khan Centre.

Part of the Ismaili Texts and Translations Series, the book was published in honour of His Highness the Aga Khan IV Diamond Jubilee. It is the first English translation of the original Persian manuscript, the Ibrat-afza which was composed in 1850. In addition to the English and Persian texts, the book provides a detailed contextual introduction, helping readers to engage more insightfully with the Imam’s testimony, told as part autobiography and part as his memoir.

During the book launch, Dr Daniel Beben of Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan, spoke of the text’s historical, social and cultural significance. He examined some of the key concepts within the text, including legitimacy, lineage and authority, through processes such as conflict mediation for the wider community, and the interactions between the Imam and the Qajar monarchy in Persia, who had bestowed upon him the title of Aga Khan. Dr Beben also spoke about the evolution of the 46th Imam’s role as a social, political and spiritual leader, the final decade of the Nizari Ismaili Imamate in Persia, and the transition of the Seat of the Ismaili Imamate from Persia to India.

Dr Beben commented:

“The Ibrat-afza is an important historical source that helps us to answer one of the critical questions in the study of Ismaili history, namely that of how the Nizari Imams, after existing in relative obscurity for centuries after the Mongol invasions, were able to once again obtain a position of prominence in the Muslim world and beyond in the 19th century. The Ibrat-afza offers some unique insights into this development, demonstrating how the Imam was able to build support among many different Muslim communities by appealing to his sayyid ancestry and his descent from the Fatimid caliphs.”

Dr Daryoush Mohammad Poor of The Institute of Ismaili Studies elaborated further on some of the intricacies of the text itself, including the literary themes of the Persian text, as well as an analysis of the role and voice of the narrator. Dr Mohammad Poor also explained the poetic, spiritual and philosophical traditions, which have influenced the style and content of the Persian text. He said:

“The authorship of the book is critical in the sense that it provides us with valuable information about the genre, style, the kind of poetry used and the role of dual identity and taqiyya in the book. The book is narrated by Aga Khan I as the speaker but the author is Waqar-i Shirazi, a prominent scholarly and literary figure of the early Qajar period. The language of the original Persian is replete with literary devices and ornaments, which sometimes turns the text into a convoluted one. Yet, one of the most impressive aspects of the book is how the human voice of the narrator is palpable throughout the narrative: a voice which gives the reader an intimate encounter with the speaker’s innermost human joys, sorrows, frustrations and aspirations. Apart from being a very significant part of the contemporary literature of Ismailis, this book is also a literary piece which could be located in the broader context of humanism and adab.”

Dr Shabnum Tejani, of SOAS, framed the discussions to help the audience better understand the book’s purpose, as well as some of the key themes and events recounted in the manuscript.

Many members of the audience commented that they felt enriched with new knowledge and were curious to learn more about this lesser known period of Islamic history. Attendees also had the opportunity to view a manuscript of the Ibrat-afza and seals of the first Aga Khan from the 19th century, which were showcased at the event from IIS’s Ismaili Special Collections.

To learn more about the book, visit the publications page here.

https://iis.ac.uk/news/iis-book-launch- ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video: A Brief History of Aga Khan I

Watch this video to follow the eventful journey of the first Aga Khan from Persia to the Indian Subcontinent. View maps of his travels, the different locations where he resided and his interactions with the various political authorities of the time.

Video:

https://iis.ac.uk/video/brief-history-a ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Lecture

The First Mevlevi Manuscripts: Illuminated Manuscript Production in Late Medieval Rum

Registration, details and venue at:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-firs ... 0920781698
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video

Radical Love: Teachings from the Islamic Mystical Tradition

https://iis.ac.uk/video/radical-love-te ... -tradition

In this lecture, Professor Safi delves deeper into the essence of the spiritual path with a story from Rumi’s Masnavi to demonstrate how the mystics conveyed their teachings of the Divine.
On 26 March, Professor Omid Safi, Director of Duke University’s Islamic Studies Centre, took audiences through a mystical journey in his talk entitled, RadicalLove: Teachings from the Islamic Mystical Tradition at the Aga Khan Centre. He spoke about the goals of the spiritual path and traced the popular poetic tradition that celebrates love for both humanity and the Divine.

Islamic mysticism, often referred to as Sufism or tasawwuf emphasises introspection and the spiritual closeness with God, whilst cherishing the qualities of tolerance and pluralism. Speaking about what the spiritual path ultimately means, Professor Safi said:

“If you want to call yourself a Muslim, you should rise to see the face of God and experience your own ascension. The whole goal of the spiritual path is to learn to breathe with God. The whole of who you are, in one. Be present wholeheartedly.”

Sufism has shaped literature and art for centuries and is associated with the some of the most resonant pieces of Islam’s golden age - lasting from roughly the 8th through to the 13th centuries - including the poetry of the renowned Persian poet and philosopher Jalaluddin Rumi. To date, his poetry continues to inspire hearts and minds across the world. Situating Rumi within the larger narrative of Islam, Professor Safi commented:

“We talk about Rumi as if he is Mount Everest standing alone. If we take a more humble approach, we will see that Everest does not stand alone, it is part of the Himalayas, there is a whole mountain range that is propping up, holding, making space for, supporting, and pushing Everest onto ever higher heights. Mawlana Rumi is grounded and anchored in a tradition of love that goes all the way back to the Prophet, comes through Imam Ali and through an unfolding of 500 years of love mystics.”
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Vision, Impact, Legacy: Celebrating the Difference We Make Together

As part of a series of celebratory events that have been taking place within the first year of the opening of the Aga Khan Centre and of IIS moving into its new and permanent home, IIS hosted an educational programme for its friends and supporters during the weekend of 15-16 June. Delivered by leadership, faculty and staff of IIS, the programme provided insights into some of the more substantive areas of IIS’s research, curriculum development and teaching programmes.

In the opening plenary session, guests heard from IIS Governors and Heads of Departments about the interconnectedness of the IIS’s past, present and future. Moderated by Salima Bhatia, Head of Communications and Development, she took supporters on a journey through the past forty one year’s and how IIS has developed into an academically reputable international organisation that is able to respond to the needs of the various communities it serves. Board Members, Naguib Kheraj and Zauhar Meghji spoke about the evolution, scale and impact of IIS over time and geographies, as well its future aspirations. Co-Director and Head of Research and Publications, Dr Farhad Daftary, spoke about the critical role IIS has played in deconstructing centuries old myths about Ismailis which were rooted in either the hostility of certain polemicists or the ignorance of historians at the time, who sought to fabricate stories such as the Assassin Legends. Through its research and publications programme IIS has been able to set the historical record straight particularly through two of its publications series, the Heritage Series and the Texts and Translations Series in which newly recovered primary and secondary sources have been translated and studied. The recovery, access and study of these texts have today opened up and informed scholarship in the academic field of modern Ismaili Studies. Dr Shiraz Thobani, Head of Curriculum Studies, provided an overview of the evolution of the primary and secondary curriculum. In addition he spoke about the department’s new area of focus, the development of early childhood materials, which will concentrate on the religious, moral and cultural education of zero-six year olds. And Dr Laila Halani, Head of Graduate Studies, told the audience about the signing of a new validation partnership between IIS and SOAS University of London (link is external), and how our continued focus on quality has meant that today even external agencies who review and audit quality standards across the UK have concluded that IIS meet the highest standards for a higher education academic institution.

Faculty members - who are all IIS alumni - showcased how new knowledge in the study of Islam is being generated through research which moves beyond the more classical research genres that IIS is well known for, to areas of greater contemporary relevance. The Muslim Biomedical Ethics session showcased some ground-breaking research which is being undertaken on how to approach and think ethically about issues such as abortion and end of life matters. An interactive session examining the multiple roots and histories of Islamophobia explored the connections to populism, social media, and dogmatic interpretations of the faith. The research into the diversity of Muslim Spaces of Gathering and Worship was shared with attendees alongside the focused treatment that this area of research is receiving in the Faith and Practice in Islamic Traditions secondary curriculum module. Visitors were also treated to an experiential journey with A Glimpse into our Heritage through the rare treasures - manuscripts, documents, artefacts and photographs - housed in the Ismaili Special Collections, including the stories embedded in them and how these precious items inform the IIS’s current research projects, publications and curriculum materials. Supporters were also able to enjoy and explore the magnificent building with a guided tour of the Aga Khan Library and the six gardens, courtyards and terraces inspired by various regions of the Muslim world.

After experiencing the architectural beauty of the Aga Khan Centre during the day, guests had the rare opportunity to hear from the internationally acclaimed architect, Farshid Moussavi, at the Gala Dinner, who has been appointed by His Highness the Aga Khan to design the new Ismaili Centre in Houston. Farshid spoke about her journey as a British-Iranian woman in the field of architecture, her role as the Chair of the Master Jury of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture (link is external), as well as being a member of its Steering Committee for over a decade, providing guests with a deeper appreciation of the role and value of architecture in our everyday lives.

The following day, guests had the option to experience the vibrancy and dynamism of London’s cultural life through a choice of activities. The ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival (link is external) at the British Library (link is external) was an opportunity to hear IIS alumnus Dr Zulfikar Hirji – co-author of the Diamond Jubilee publication Islam: An Illustrated Journey – speak on a panel discussion sponsored by IIS and AKF UK, entitled, Islamic Arts: Multiple Histories, Multiple Expressions. There was also a private tour of the new Albukhary Gallery at the renowned British Museum (link is external), where the curatorial team included IIS alumna Dr Fahmida Suleman, who is now based at the Royal Ontario Museum. Current IIS students provided visitors with a tour of the prize winning Stanton Williams designed student residence, Victoria Hall (link is external)where they live in King’s Cross. While others received a guided tour of the Jameel Gallery at the Victoria and Albert Museum (link is external) and the Ismaili Centre, London. (link is external)

IIS supporters who participated in this two-day programme said that they came away with a deeper understanding of the institution they so generously support, and a keener insight into how their contributions have informed initiatives and activities which have a transformative global impact.

Videos at:

https://iis.ac.uk/news/vision-impact-le ... e-together
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Video

Mandate and Impact of IIS' Work

Watch this video to learn more about IIS' work and its impact promoting scholarship and learning about Muslim cultures and societies.
The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS) was established, in 1977, as a higher education institution to promote scholarship and learning about Muslim cultures and societies.

The Institute’s research, publications and educational programmes aim to contribute to the academic study of the diversity of Islam, as a faith, and as a civilisation, by addressing intellectual and practical issues pertaining both historical contemporary contexts. IIS also responds to the educational needs of an increasingly dynamic and globalised Ismaili community by developing and producing early childhood, primary and secondary curricula materials, whilst training future scholars, teachers and leaders.

https://iis.ac.uk/video/mandate-and-impact-iis-work
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Professor Amir-Moezzi Receives Prize for the History of Religions

Professor Amir-Moezzi, Director of Islamic Studies at École Pratique des Hautes Études, Sorbonne University and IIS Research Fellow, was honored with the Prize for the History of Religions by the Pierre-Antoine Bernheim’s Friends Foundation for his book The Proof of God: Shi‘ite Mysticism through Kulaynî's work (La Preuve de Dieu: La Mystique Shi'ite à travers l'oeuvre de Kulaynî) at l’Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, part of the Institut de France. The book is centered on one of the noted Shia hadith authorities Abu Ja’far Mohammad ibn Ya’qub ibn Ishaq al-Kulayni (link is external) (d. around 940) and his seminal work, the Kitab al-Kafi (The Sufficient Book).

Speaking about how the book contributes towards Muslim thought and spirituality, IIS Research Associate, Dr Maria De Cillis said:

“This fascinating and enlightening volume is inspired by the Book of the Proof (Kitab al-Hujja) – one of the central chapters of The Sufficient Book (Kitab al-Kafi;). Large excerpts from the original Arabic text have been magisterially translated into French and complemented by in-depth analytical comments, thus allowing unprecedented access into extremely vivid theoretical insights. Elaborating on the nature of the “Proof” which, in the Shi'ite terminology identifies the central figure, i.e., the guide (imam) of mystical spirituality, this volume resourcefully contributes in portraying Shii Islam in its kaleidoscopic nature, not merely, as Amir-Moezzi himself puts it, as ‘the politico-religious ideology of its “clergy”’, but also and above all as an inspirational religion ‘enriching Muslim thought and spirituality, sometimes with unusual finesse and sophistication.’”

The renowned Kitab al-Kafi is divided into three sections: Usul al-Kafi, which is concerned with epistemology, theology, history, ethics, supplication, and the Qur’an; Furu al-Kafi, which is concerned with practical and legal issues; and Rawdat al-Kafi, which includes lengthy letters and speeches transmitted from the Imams. The title of Professor Amir-Moezzi’s book has been inspired by the Kitab al-Hujja (Book of Proof) which is part of the Usul al-Kafi. In Shi‘i Islam, Prophets and Imams are designated ‘proofs’ of God’s presence on earth who provide guidance and the esoteric teachings of faith. In his book, Professor Amir-Moezzi includes an epilogue that allows the reader to follow the thread of intellectual history and Shi‘i mysticism from the Abbasid period until contemporary times.

Reflecting on the author’s approach to the subject, IIS Senior Researcher, Dr Orkhan Mir-Kasimov, remarked:

“The Proof of God (original title La preuve de Dieu) by Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi is a lucid and masterfully written introduction to the doctrines of early Shi'ism, in particular those concerning the figure of the divine guide, the Imam. The book presents to the reader one of the most important works of the Shi'i intellectual heritage, Kulayni’s Book of the Proof (Kitab al-hujja), selected excerpts from which are translated by the author and provided with helpful annotations. Amir-Moezzi’s talent to convey elaborate theories in a simple and accessible way and his broad erudition makes this book fascinating reading for everyone interested in the theoretical foundations of the Shi'i Islam.”

Created in 2011, the Pierre-Antoine Bernheim’s Friends Foundation serves to perpetuate the memory of the late Pierre-Antoine Bernheim. Dedicated to the promotion of history of religions, it aims to reward recent works, the most outstanding achievements in this area, and more generally to promote the dissemination of knowledge in this field.

https://iis.ac.uk/news/professor-amir-m ... -religions
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Celebrating the Academic Contributions of Dr Farhad Daftary

On 26 June, a special event was hosted in Tehran, Iran, to honour the academic contributions of IIS Co-Director, Dr Farhad Daftary, to the study of Islamic and Ismaili studies. The event was organised by Bukhara (a prestigious Persian language academic journal) and the Centre of the Great Islamic Encyclopaedia. At the event, a Persian translation of Dr Daftary’s publication A History of Shiʾi Islam was also launched. Academics, students, the general public, as well as some members of the Ismaili community were in attendance.

During the course of the event, various individuals paid homage to Dr Daftary. In his remarks, Ali Dehbashi, the Chief Editor and Publisher of Bukhara, described him as the “most prominent historian of contemporary Shiʿi Islam.” Mr Bujnordi, Director of the Centre of the Great Islamic Encyclopaedia shed light on the life of Dr Daftary and praised not only his academic achievements, but also his leadership and visionary approach to the study of Islam in general, and the history of Shiʿi Islam in particular. He sincerely thanked Dr Daftary for the monumental English translation of the Great Islamic Encyclopaedia, published in a prestigious manner by Brill, under the title Encyclopaedia Islamica.

Mr T. Ettehadiyya, Director of Nashr-i Farzan-i Ruz - publisher of the Persian publication Tārīkh-i tashayyuʿ (A History of Shiʾi Islam) - paid tribute to the pivotal role Dr Daftary has played in their long-standing partnership with the IIS and how this collaboration has resulted in twenty-one books by Dr Daftary and other scholars at the IIS, being published in the Persian language over the years.

Professor Ahmad Ali Muwaḥḥid from Tehran University gave the audience a detailed description of A History of Shiʿi Islam, highlighting its relationship with The Ismailis: Their History and Doctrines. Praising the style of authorship of both books, he added, that in our time, throughout the academic world and in relation to Shiʿi history, Dr Daftary is a recognised authority.

Following on from the speeches, a short film was screened in which Dr Daftary further elaborated on his publication, whilst Dr Jalal Badakchani - a former Senior Associate at the IIS - was invited to read a special message of gratitude on behalf of Dr Daftary. In his message, Dr Daftary emphasised the role of the IIS in providing a better understanding of Shi‘i Islam in the West, through its various research and publications programmes. He also highlighted the role of the IIS in deconstructing the myths and misrepresentations of the Ismailis.

Watch the short film screened at the event (in Persian) and download the Persian transcript with English translation here.

https://iis.ac.uk/news/celebrating-acad ... ad-daftary

Video: A short message from Dr Daftary on 'A History of Shi'i Islam' in Persian

In this short message delivered for the launch of the Persian Edition of 'A History of Shi'i Islam', in Tehran, Iran, Dr Farhad Daftary elaborates on his dedicated efforts to clarifying misconceptions about Shi'i Islam, particularly in the West.

https://iis.ac.uk/video/short-message-d ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

In Conversation with IIS Alumni: Dr Arif A. Jamal

Alumni are our ambassadors, representing the values, principles and work of the IIS in their chosen fields; whether it be academia, development, law, arts and culture to name a few. In this new series of “In Conversation with IIS Alumni” we catch up with individual alumni to find out more about their current work and their journey to this point.

Aliya Lavji, recently caught up with IIS alumnus, Dr Arif A. Jamal - who has been an Associate Professor at the National University of Singapore (NUS) since 2010 - and learnt more about his recent publications and his contributions to the field of international law.

A graduate from the GPISH Class of 1997, Arif also studied politics at McGill University and law at the University of Toronto and was called to the Bar of British Columbia. Subsequently, he undertook post-graduate work in the UK earning an LLM degree, focusing on Islamic law, at the School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) and then his doctorate the Faculty of Laws, University College London (UCL). Arif has held visiting appointments with the law schools of the University of Trento, Tel Aviv University and City University of Hong Kong. In addition, he has been a Visiting Researcher with the Islamic Legal Studies Program at Harvard Law School and an academic visitor at the law schools of the University of Auckland and the University of British Columbia.

His research and teaching interests include, law and religion, law in Muslim contexts, and legal and political theory. He is the author of Islam, Law and the Modern State (Routledge, 2018), co-editor of Regulating Religion in Asia: Norms, Modes, and Challenges (Cambridge, 2019) and his articles have appeared, or are forthcoming in, amongst others, the Oxford Journal of Law and Religion (Oxford); American Journal of Comparative Law (Oxford); the Journal of Law, Religion and State (Brill) and the Asian Journal of Comparative Law (Cambridge).

More...

https://iis.ac.uk/news/conversation-iis ... arif-jamal
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Events

The Hybrid Ontology of Early Mughal Painting

In this lecture, Dr Gonzalez will present key points from her book “Aesthetic Hybridity in Mughal Painting, 1526-1658” (Ashgate, November 2015). This early Modern material is known for and characterised by its pictorial hybridity that singled it out among the coeval variegated Persianate productions. Although all these productions inspired by Persian models display greatly diversified visual expressions lending them mixed stylistic appearances, Mughal painting constitutes a unique case of hybridity as it draws from a wider and culturally more differentiated spectrum of artistic sources and references. Hybridity is in Mughal painting not only a feature of style, but it also defines its very pictorial ontology and aesthetic metaphysics. Dr Gonzalez will discuss this problematic in expounding issues of methodology, notably the issue of the determining difference between stylistic and conceptual hybridity, wrongly collapsed in the historiography.

Booking and more....

https://iis.ac.uk/events/hybrid-ontolog ... rce=Direct