BRIDGE-BUILDING AND OUTREACH ACTIVITIES

Any Institutional activities in the world
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Reflecting, connecting and giving this Holiday Season

In a season so well known for its ‘red and green’, the hue of our Jamat couldn’t shine brighter.

This month of December is filled not only with a vibrant mosaic of festivals and observances from all corners of society, but also with opportunities to foster more sharing and dialogue than ever before.

The powerful idea of looking to the past for wisdom, the present for connection, and the future for opportunity, is a timeless ethical and social tradition. It is cherished not only by those in society observing a variety of religious and cultural festivals at this time of year, but also by all who wish to build bridges across frontiers, and expand their understanding of each other.

The 82nd Salgirah of Mawlana Hazar Imam is one of these many occasions when we can renew the timeless tradition of looking to the milestones and legacy of the Imam of the Time - a role model from whom we can learn to practice and represent the ethics and principles of Islam in its truest form.

As our brothers and sisters from various faiths gather to observe their respective traditions, the Jamat continues to take the opportunity to engage deeply in the sharing of time, knowledge and material resources to improve the quality of life those in need, irrespective of their backgrounds.

On 15th December, a joint I-Cerv and AKYSB initiative gathered at the Ismaili Centre, London, to distribute care packages to the homeless and needy across the city centre. Teams with expertise in logistics, packing and distribution from all ages across the Jamat worked together tirelessly to successfully deliver this ambitious social project.

In doing so, the team were able to have a major positive impact on those living in poverty, as well as highlighting the pluralistic ethos of our Jamat as a whole. The ability to transpose the ethics of our tariqah into action is a commendable trait, something with regards to which our dedicated team of volunteers, both uniformed and non-uniformed, always deliver.

Building on this tradition, we have a great set of opportunities to look forward to in the new year. The upcoming centenary of the Ismaili Volunteer Corps, which was founded in 1919 by our 48th Imam, Mawlana Sultan Mahomed Shah, will mark what is such a cherished tradition in our tariqah in Islam - voluntary service rendered unconditionally for the Imam of the Time, and for his Jamat.

https://the.ismaili/united-kingdom/refl ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Kenyan Jamat participates in Festival of Friendship

The Jamat in Kenya, alongside other faith communities, recently participated in the Festival of Friendship 2018, in a show of unity, cultural diversity, and friendly competition.

The Festival of Friendship (FOF) brings together young people from numerous Asian communities in the country through sports and recreation. The initiative was launched in 1992 by a number of like-minded individuals, including Aneez Rahemtulla, representing the Ismaili Jamat.

The Festival began as a small-scale festival involving four communities who shared similar histories of migration from South Asia to East Africa. In bringing together youth from various faiths to compete and share their cultural heritage, the FOF promotes cooperation between young athletes of all backgrounds. The event is similar to the Jubilee Games, which aims to bring Ismaili Muslims from around the world together to celebrate excellence in sport.

At a speech in New Delhi in 2003, Mawlana Hazar Imam spoke of his vision for a pluralistic society.

“Tolerance, openness and understanding towards other peoples' cultures, social structures, values and faiths are now essential to the very survival of an interdependent world. Pluralism is no longer simply an asset or a prerequisite for progress and development, it is vital to our existence,” he said.

In line with Hazar Imam’s vision for a tolerant and pluralist society, FOF aims to use such events as platforms for communities to meet and better understand one another’s cultures and traditions. FOF typically includes participants from a large number of communities including the Shia Ismaili, Visa Oshwal, Shree Cutchi Leva Patel Samaj, Ramgharia Sikh, Lohana, Goan, Sunni Punjabi, Cutchi Sunni Muslim, Shia Ithna‘ashari, Dawoodi Bohra, Tamil, and Kerala communities, amongst others.

Faith communities face similar challenges today in terms of engaging younger generations, building capacity, and passing on wisdom and cultural values. FOF addresses these concerns collectively through sports and other popular activities. Every year the games grow from strength to strength, bringing together new volunteers, new communities, new events, new ideas, and new friends. Annual FOF events are held in both Nairobi and Kisumu where young Ismailis are instrumental in bringing communities together annually through FOF sports events.

In addition to the main Festival, every alternate year in Nairobi, FOF holds mini-games. In the past this has comprised of a series of games, a treasure hunt in the iconic Nairobi National Park, and a mini-World Cup event. This year, featured a triathlon followed by a varied distance and relay track and field competition, and traditional games to include something for everyone. The event was a good example of cultural diversity, both in traditional games such as Kabaddi and kho-kho — both tag-style games — as well as in the varieties of cultural delicacies on offer from the various communities.

The bi-annual FOF sports tournament helps with other community sports development plans, and in the past has also helped the Kenyan Jamat to practice and train for the Kenya Ismaili Games, regional Unity Games, and the International Jubilee Games. Some athletes of Asian origin also represent Kenya at the International level.

https://the.ismaili/kenya/kenyan-jamat- ... friendship
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Share Your Holidays Food Drive

The Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center (IJKC) in Sugar Land was transformed into a bustling site on December 7, 2018, as countless individuals made their way to donate thousands of pounds of food. For the third consecutive year, IJKC hosted the annual ABC 13 Share Your Holidays Food Drive where over 100 I-CERV volunteers gather to help collect, package, and transport over 30,000 pounds of donated food to the East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry, located in Stafford, Texas.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzud04tdHgc
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Aga Khan Girl Guides distributes warm cloths among children

Every year, they donate basic amenities to people of remote areas to help them survive the winter

The Aga Khan Girl Guides, in association with the Bangladesh Girl Guides Association, has distributed blankets and other warm clothes to the patients of the Feroza Bari Disabled Children Hospital, a pioneer in physiotherapy.

The organization on Saturday extended its support to help the hospitalized children during the winter, according to a press release.

It said that Aga Khan Girl Guides has been engaged in this noble cause for many years, following its principle of "ethics in action.”

Every year, they donate basic amenities to people of remote areas to help them survive the cold winter, the release added.

The Aga Khan Girl Guides is a registered open unit under the Bangladesh Girl Guides Association.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh ... g-children
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Volunteers Take “A Day On” in Los Angeles and Portland for MLK Day

It was an uncharacteristically cold and windy Monday morning in Los Angeles on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 21, 2019. Most families were bundled warmly in their homes, but 48 volunteers in I-CERV shirts huddled together at George Washington Carver Middle School to help the community. This event attracted over a thousand volunteers from dozens of corporations and nonprofits, evidenced by the colorful company shirts sported throughout the school campus. The day marked an annual tradition when I-CERV partners with LA Works to participate in a school beautification project in downtown Los Angeles.

After several inspirational speeches by L.A. Works board members, the Carver Middle School Principal, and NBA legend A.C. Green, the swarm of helpers formed into several groups to begin their activities. The I-CERV team split up into two groups. The first ventured off to picked up trash from neighborhoods surrounding the school, while the second group painted classrooms, hallways, and the indoor gymnasium. Volunteers as young as six years of age scouted the sidewalks for litter, as they walked in supervised groups along the busy streets. By the end of the clean-up, the collective LA Works team filled 306 bags of trash and transformed 30 classrooms with fresh coats of paint.

When asked what MLK Day means to her, 10th grader Jasmine Esmail replied, “MLK Day is a day to not only honor a civil rights activist but also to honor his legacy by a day of service. Known as ‘a day on, not a day off,’ a day of service means unity and strengthening the community in any way possible. I serve to express gratitude and pay it forward with joy.” Arianna Kassam noted, “MLK Day means equality for everyone, no matter their skin color.”

Looking back to last year, L.A. Works co-founder Donna Bojarsky’s words rang just as true: “Volunteerism helps you understand the challenges that face us. The more knowledgeable citizens are about an issue, the more effective they can be to help overcome it.”

The Portland Jamat joined several other Jamats along the West Coast to serve their local communities in commemoration of MLK Day as well. A group of Ismailis ranging from ages six to 65, bundled and prepared themselves for a cold, wet and muddy day outdoors. Their warm smiles and determined attitudes kept spirits high as they partnered with Friends of Trees, “a regional leader focused on improving the urban tree canopy and restoring sensitive natural areas.”

The group planted over 100 trees while receiving education on the finer points of planting, as well as the important role trees play in our urban areas. The Jamat participates regularly in environmental, shelter, and welfare volunteer opportunities across the city. “The lasting impression that the I-CERV team leaves on others spurs a better understanding of the Ismaili community, our principles and beliefs, and supports our mission to be better ambassadors of our faith” said I-CERV event organizer, Malik Pirani.

By electing to serve on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, members of I-CERV joined hundreds of other volunteers who improve the quality of life for communities in Los Angeles and Portland. But they recognize that the work does not stop there, and look forward to more service projects in the future.

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/volunteers-take ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Nurses Provide Medical Care to Northern California Fire Survivors

“Thank you again for all you are doing to help staff the shelter. You and all the Aga Khan Council volunteers have been a tremendous help, and I really can’t thank you enough! Your nurses wanted to be here. They came with such open hearts. It was fabulous.” -Mary Soderstrom, Nursing Director for the Butte County Public Health Department, California.

Like thousands of others, Mary Jarschke, a registered nurse and stroke coordinator at Oroville Hospital, lost her home and nearly all of her physical belongings, barely escaping with her life during the unmerciful Camp Fire that ripped through the town of Paradise, California at the end of 2018.

Despite the loss, Mary began volunteering at the Red Cross Butte County Shelter. But the shelter had taken in over 1,000 individuals, so the need for visiting nurses to ease the fatigue endured by local nurses was crucial.

Karen Baker, California’s Chief Service Officer for Governor Brown Jr. and lead of CaliforniaVolunteers, had been a member of the Steering Committee for the Agreement of Cooperation signed by the Imamat and the State of California in 2009. Baker reached out to the Aga Khan Council to seek assistance for the shelters having recognized the Ismaili volunteers during the 2015 Special Olympics in Los Angeles.

As a result of Baker’s request, the Ismaili Health Professional Association contacted Ismaili nurses, and 25 volunteer nurses from the nearby Bay Area and as far as Chicago and Dallas, stepped forward to provide assistance. Altogether, Ismaili nurses committed over 250 hours of service.

“It means so much to have nurses come from outside our community, and from so far away, to volunteer their time and provide support,” Jarschke said of the Ismaili nurses who arrived to assist at the Red Cross Butte County Shelter.

Shamsah Malik, an Aga Khan University (AKU) Nursing Program graduate from Los Angeles remarked, “The Butte County Public Health Department and Red Cross have done a fabulous job offering support to this community. I was amazed at the range of services being offered to the residents. Many employees of the Health Department were rerouted to support this shelter and had to be taken away from their normal duties. On one day, I volunteered with an epidemiologist, who was managing the logistics of the camp and helped bring food to residents that were isolated due to an infection."

“Volunteering my time here feels like I am helping my own community,” said Amina Huda of Fremont, one of the first nurses to visit the shelter. “I feel like this is home.” The relationship between the Ismaili nurses and the Department of Public Health developed into genuine appreciation and sincere admiration for one another. Monica embraced each Ismaili volunteer as they arrived and departed, in particular, Laila Chagani, an AKU nurse who traveled to Chico on four different occasions from San Jose.

“This community really has been traumatized, and the fires have affected the outlook of the community. It touches everything,” says Bruce Bailey, founder of AmeriCorps St. Louis. Bruce has served at many natural disaster sites, including Hurricane Katrina. He assessed the widespread devastation caused by the wildfire. 55,000 citizens evacuated including the 28,000 directly within the fire zone, and 90 percent of the structures were lost, including 500 businesses.

“When you have outside energy come in like this, it’s like a lighthouse. It helps inspire hope in the survivors so they see the world hasn’t forgotten about them and are here to help,” Bruce explained.

Hamida Khan of Los Angeles was humbled to be able to serve the victims of the wildfire. Khan mentioned that as AKDN projects worldwide serve all communities regardless of faith, race, or gender, so do Ismaili volunteers. Like so many of the AKU nurses that served at the shelter, Hamida found her interactions with the survivors of the wildfire and other volunteers to be rewarding and found the survivors’ resolve to be inspirational. “I came to give my time to assist those in need,” she notes, “but I realize I left with so much more.”

“Disaster can take away everything a person has worked for during their lifetime,” reflected Salima Pirani, a former AKU nurse who traveled from Dallas. She credited her training for her ability to “assess and stabilize” medical emergencies. And Amyna Hemani, also a former AKU nurse from Chicago, remembers serving local communities near AKU, and providing basic care to individuals living in poverty. “The goal was always to improve the quality of life of those around us,” she explained.

“It’s one thing to give money, but it is more valuable to be here and have a personal relationship. It’s important in the healing process,” Bruce says about the kind of support that survivors of the wildfire need. Ismaili nurses will continue to provide medical and logistical support as long as the shelter remains open.

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/nurses-provide- ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

60,000 Meals Spread Thanksgiving Joy

Bell jingles, loud cheers, and upbeat music could be heard in Carrollton Headquarters Jamatkhana on November 21, 2018, as numerous volunteers competed to make meals for children and their families in the North Texas area. With turkeys roasting in their own ovens, volunteers chose to wake up and come serve on this Thanksgiving morning.

“We wanted to do a day of helping others on Thanksgiving,” says Shaheen Bandeali, Chairperson for the Aga Khan Youth and Sports Board, saying, “It gives people an opportunity to think about what they are thankful for.”

I-CERV (Ismaili Community Engaged in Responsible Volunteering) volunteers arrived as early as 6:00 a.m. to unload 18-wheelers filled with supplies and organize the materials in assembly lines. More than 400 volunteers, ages 8 and up, arrived in three shifts over four hours to prepare 60,000 healthy meals.“I arrived at 7:30 a.m. to set up,” says Sharmin Merchant, a first-time volunteer. “I love this event. I am going to continue it next year and bring my family next time.”

City of Carrollton Mayor Kevin Falconer, Canadian Consul General Vasken Khabayan, local City Council members, and Jamati institutional leaders were amongst the numerous volunteers who attended the event. Mayor Falconer commended this effort, saying “We are fortunate to have access to food and we take this blessing for granted but efforts such as this one remind us that there is much need in our own backyards and we need to come together to give back.”

“We are blessed to live in a country that has a lot of food,” says Salman Bhojani, Council Member for the City of Euless. “We are thankful for so much and it’s great to share the gift of food with other communities in the area.”

The Ismaili Council for the Central US, Honorary Secretary Salim Rahimi, provided inspiring words and shed light on the importance of this service: “It's a disturbing fact that one in every four children is food-insecure in the North Texas area. This day of service allows us to reflect on our blessings and give back in the spirit of compassion,” he said.

The Council partnered with Feed Children Everywhere to attain supplies for the event and to determine how the food would be packaged.

Council member Samina Hooda explained, “It is important to note that these meals are designed to be of high nutritional value and we have arranged for the meals to be distributed to families through various food pantries in the DFW area.”

Boy Scout Shaayaan Raes was serving in his uniform. Attending with his parents and brother, he explained that a Boy Scout is there to always help and “never stops giving back.”

Ella Garner, a 14-year-old volunteer, drove 40 minutes from Midlothian, Texas, with her mother and best friend to serve and make a difference.“We did this community service after Hurricane Harvey, and it was a great experience,” says Garner. “It was a lot of fun and the drive was totally worth it. I can’t wait until next year.”

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/60000-meals-spr ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Anoushka Shankar leads off Indo-American Association’s 2019 Season

The Indo-American Association’s 2019 season, which unfolds from March through November, blends culture-bridging performances with music and dance programs that offer a more full-immersion Indian experience.

With 10 shows that will be presented across three venues, the season’s featured artists include global stars and up-and-comers, said IAA executive director Hari Dayal.

The season opens with a concert by the glamorous sitar virtuoso Anoushka Shankar, co-presented by the Aga Khan Council. The heir to her father Ravi Shankar’s legendary, progressive style of cross-cultural dialogue, she shows the versatility of her instrument across musical genres, accompanied by a cellist/pianist and a flautist as well as masters of the tabla, mridangam and tanpura.

More...
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entert ... 612165.php
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Interfaith Thanksgiving Celebration at Ismaili Jamatkhana, Glenview, Illinois

The Chicago Jamatkhana Social Hall was filled with the songs and scriptures of many faiths that came together on November 13, 2018. The annual Thanksgiving service is a longstanding tradition of the Edgewater Community Religious Association (ECRA), an alliance of about 20 Christian, Jewish, and Muslim congregations in the diverse neighborhood in northern Chicago. The celebration is hosted by a different congregation every November, and this year was the first time the local Jamat had hosted since 2012.

“There is such power when we come together to express our unity as a community, and our gratitude for the blessings for our lives. I know we have much to be grateful for,” said Imran Dhatwani, President of the Ismaili Council for the Midwest, as he welcomed the celebrants.

President Dhatwani’s sentiments set the tone for the ceremonies that followed, saying: “Often we are told diversity is not our strength, and that we should reject it as a weakness, or a threat, but our future is brightest if we are united. We protect ourselves best, by also protecting our neighbors. We know ourselves best when we know our neighbors, and we love God most when we love all of God’s creation.”

This particular Thanksgiving had perhaps even more resonance than in years past. The previous week, ECRA had coordinated a service in solidarity with the Emmanuel Congregation synagogue in response to the mass shooting in which 11 members of a Tree of Life Jewish congregation in Pittsburgh were killed.

“I will be eternally grateful for the richness of that experience, that was made possible by the diversity of the group involved, and yet the similarity of our compassion,” said Rabbi Craig Marantz.
Rabbi Marantz was the first congregational leader of the day, offering a traditional prayer of gratitude for the Earth’s bounty, saying, “we enjoy faith without fanaticism, to embrace that even though we are all created in God’s image, we come out in diverse ways.”

The attendance was reportedly the largest ECRA has ever hosted, nearly filling the hall. They included the local member of Congress Jan Schakowsky, who commented that she “has always been impressed with the volunteers in the Ismaili community and continued to be impressed at the ECRA event.”

Amber Gilani, who led the organizing effort, said that around 100 Jamati members volunteered over the course of the preceding month to make the event a success. This included the religious education students that packed hygiene kits as a Thanksgiving donation to Care For Real, a charity that serves the needy in the Edgewater community.

Other donations included winter coats and food items. Nancy Meyers, head of Care For Real, explained that the charity developed from one of ECRA’s earliest initiatives after its founding in 1971. Today it distributes food, meals, clothes and other items to over 3000 client families in the Edgewater neighborhood, including hundreds of seniors.

Monty Johnson, pastor of the Immanuel Lutheran congregation has been involved in ECRA for the past 15 years. “It’s a remarkable gift,” he noted, “that reflects the Edgewater community’s diversity, and the number of faiths that are outward looking, and that want to engage. This is a real gift,” he said. “I think it’s a very important witness to our work in the world, to be building bridges between different faiths, and to work together to do good.”

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/interfaith-than ... w-illinois
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Civic Pledge - Improving Quality of Life

The Ismaili Community of Australia and New Zealand are pledging 10,000 hours of community service to our local communities to improve the quality of life of our fellow Australian/New Zealanders.

Every member (with no age barrier) will be volunteering in a wide range of activities ranging in areas from care for the elderly to poverty alleviation, cleaning public spaces such as beaches, parks and trails, tree planting, blood drives civic society activity, professional skills, settlement and so much more.

This pledge’s purpose is to improve the quality of life in the community exemplifying Islam’s core values of peace, compassion and care for the unfortunate thus reinforcing the longstanding commitment to Australia and New Zealand and its deep rooted ethic of volunteer service.

Members of The Ismaili Community have already logged 800+ hours by being involved in activities such as The Christmas Hamper Delivery in Sydney and Melbourne, A Christmas Lunch Service in Auckland, Adopt a Family in Auckland and Food Service to the Homeless in all centres just to name a few. With Clean Up Australia Day fast approaching more members shall aim to be heavily involved in all centres to help make the communities a cleaner, happier and better place.

Pledge hours shall be updated on the website on a weekly basis. Stay tuned!

Gallery at:

https://the.ismaili/culture-diversity/c ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Boston Jamat Donates IIS Books to Boston Public Library

As an act of goodwill, community outreach, and to better inform the public about Islam and Shia Islam in particular, the Boston Jamat donated a selection of books published by the Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS) to the Boston Public Library (BPL) system in January 2019.

The 39 titles (78 books total) cover topics including Fatimid history, Persian philosophy, and Ismaili poetry. The books are already in circulation and available for the public to borrow. The IIS donation will add to the BPL’s existing collection of 1.6 million items, including books, magazines, and audiovisual materials, currently in circulation.

Established in 1848, the Boston Public Library was the first large free municipal library in the country and the first public library to lend books. Today, the library is the third largest public library system in the country with a central library and twenty-five neighborhood branches which serve over four million visitors annually.

In a letter of acknowledgement to the Aga Khan Council for the Northeastern United States, Melissa Andrews, Collection Development Manager at the Boston Public Library expressed their appreciation for the donation:

“The Boston Public Library provides educational and cultural enrichment free to all for the residents of Boston, Massachusetts and beyond, through its collections, services, programs, and spaces.The Aga Khan Ismaili Council’s generous donation of 78 volumes from the Institute of Ismaili Studies, covering Ismaili and Muslim civilizations, history, and faith, allows us to continue to address our mission.”

This recent donation of IIS literature is in keeping with Mawlana Hazar Imam’s desire to correct public misperceptions about Islam, understand Shi'i values, and for the Jamat to also become better informed, while being active participants in, and contributors to, “the knowledge society.”

In his Commencement Address to the American University Cairo in 2006, Mawlana Hazar Imam said:

“From the very beginnings of Islam, the search for knowledge has been central to our cultures. I think of the words of Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib, the first hereditary Imam of the Shia Muslims, and the last of the four rightly-guided Caliphs after the passing away of the Prophet (may peace be upon Him). In his teachings, Hazrat Ali emphasized that “No honour is like knowledge.”

Hazar Imam has continued to emphasize the importance of lifelong learning and knowledge in a pluralist society, saying that now, more than ever, we “have a greater obligation to promote intellectual openness and tolerance and to create increased cultural understanding.”

Supporting public libraries and the dissemination of knowledge in civil society is an important step in closing the ignorance gap - within and outside of the Jamat - regarding contemporary as well as historic Muslim cultures and societies.

“This is especially important in recent times in order to balance the one-sided narrative of Muslim societies,” said Afshaan Mazagonwalla, a volunteer who helped with the donation, adding,“It allows us to share a more nuanced understanding of our culture and dispel commonly held misbeliefs.

The Jamat is encouraged to sign up for a free library card at their local public library. To find a library near you, click here. Massachusetts residents can find more info on signing up for a library card or eCard through the Boston Public Library system here.

https://the.ismaili/usa/boston-jamat-do ... ic-library
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Celebrate Navroz: A Cultural Exploration

Join the volunteers from the Ismaili Muslim Community in celebrating the festival of Navroz through music and crafts. Learn about the Persian and Central Asian cultures through stories and art from the Aga Khan Museum.

Navroz Storytime – 12:00 PM & 2:00 PM
An Afghan Navroz Story by Nissa Kara – Every year on the first day of spring children from around the world celebrate the Persian New Year Navroz. This is a story about a young boy and girl, Ariana and Jamil, who commemorate this joyous occasion in Afghanistan

Navroz Celebration Scarf Dance – 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM
Scarf Dance with Hand Movements – Explore rhythm and movement while dancing a colorful scarf dance to celebrate the Navroz holiday.

More...
https://childrensmuseumatlanta.org/even ... ploration/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Navroz: The Festival of Renewal

The Aga Khan Council for the Central United States in collaboration with the Meadows World Music Ensemble from Southern Methodist University hosted 'Navroz: The Festival of Renewal' at Plano Jamatkhana on Sunday, March 17th, 2019. Members of the community came together to celebrate Navroz by exploring its diverse traditions, symbolizing the spirit of this festival. The Meadows World Music Ensemble performed at the event showcasing music from various cultures around the globe.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNP1GRudzKk
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Celebrating Navroz at Manhattan’s Children's Museum

A Navroz Celebration for New York City, through crafts and music activities that showcase the diversity of expression in the Ismaili community.

The Jamat of New York City, in partnership with the Children’s Museum of Manhattan, invited families of different faiths to a celebration marking the festival of Navroz.

“The desire was to teach the greater New York community about Navroz and the traditions associated with it,” said Shazma Alibhai, from Manhattan, who managed the event. “It’s wonderful to see kids from all communities participating. We even saw groups from the Religious Education Center attending as part of their curriculum.”

“We are truly blessed to live in such a diverse county,” shared Anushka Kassim from the Manhattan Jamatkhana, who had invited families from other faiths. “We invited our kids, and their classmates, to enjoy the festivities to see what their friends’ holiday looks like. They had a great time.” Participants had an opportunity to learn how to cook unique dishes in a cooking class which gave parents and their children a time to bond together.

Photos and more..

https://the.ismaili/usa/celebrating-nav ... ens-museum
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Ismaili Jamatkhana opened its doors to the community when Houston needed it the most

Video:

https://abc13.com/video/embed/?pid=5233 ... id=5233975
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Aga Khan Scouts and Guides band entertains participants during solidarity walk

In spirit of the UAE’s initiative for 2019, the Year of Tolerance, Dubai Cares, an education focused philanthropic organisation, supported a solidarity walk for children who embark on perilous journeys to school every single day.

Her Excellency Hessa bint Essa Buhumaid, Minister of Community Development, UAE, led the walk which took place on on 15 February 2019 at Dubai Creek, marking the 10th anniversary of Dubai Cares ‘Walk for Education’ campaign. The Aga Khan Scouts and Guides Band (AKSG) demonstrated their support by playing for the participants. The band was warmly received by both organisers and participants alike.

This year’s walk saw approximately 15,000 individuals, each taking 4000 (3km) steps towards a cumulative total of 60,000,000 steps. Since it’s inauguration in 2009, the Walk for Education campaign has realised some 287 million collective steps demonstrating solidarity with children in developing countries who embark on an average of a 3km. long and treacherous journey to school each day. In the words of Dubai Cares, the aim of the walk is to “send a loud and clear message to the world about the importance of providing children and youth safe access to school”.

Zohaib Jalal, assistant captain of the AKSG band, commented, “It’s always a great opportunity for us, as youth, to be part of such significant events. The AKSG Band has given the youth of our Community the exposure and motivation to come forward and contribute to worthwhile causes for which we are very grateful.”

Dubai Cares has impacted the lives of over 18 million children in 57 countries in the field of education since being founded in 2007. For more information please visit www.dubaicares.ae

https://the.ismaili/uae/aga-khan-scouts ... arity-walk
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Georgia State Capitol Welcomes the Historic Cities Exhibition in Celebration of Navroz

The Georgia State Capitol is one of forty-three National Historic Landmarks in Georgia. It has been the seat of state government since 1889. It has great architectural significance and is also a symbol of Georgia’s history and politics. Described by William R. Mitchell, Jr., former director of the Georgia Historic Sites Survey, as “a monumentally classical-domed and columned structure with a convincing atmosphere of architectural purity and design integrity,” the Capitol was the ideal setting for the celebration of Navroz and viewing of the exhibit, Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme (AKHCP): Transforming Cities, Transforming Lives.

The exhibition consisted of thirteen panels that showcased how culture can be utilized as an asset in social and economic development to improve the quality of life of people in rural and urban societies. By rehabilitating historic sites, many of which are spread across the Muslim world, the projects of the AKHCP promote the growth of civil societies through the creation of parks and gardens, conservation of landmark buildings, and by improving the urban fabric and revitalization of cultural heritage, with the view to promote and enhance self-sustaining models that instill a sense of pride and ownership in the local communities.

“It’s neat to be able to walk around and see such a display of culture around here,” commented Lt. Governor Geoff Duncan, observing the haft-sin table and touring the exhibition. As the day’s legislative session commenced, Rep. Samuel Park (D-Lawrenceville) began his opening remarks by welcoming the Ismaili Muslim community to the Capitol and wishing them a "Happy Navroz," adding that “Ismailis are contributing members of Georgia’s civic life.”

Speaking on the importance of communities working together, Lt. Governor Duncan commended the Jamati leadership for their efforts and also encouraged them on how they can work together through various issues and build a culture in Georgia that the rest of the world can envy.

The Historic cities exhibition will be on display at the AIA Georgia Headquarters in Atlanta until April 26, 2019.

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/usa/georgia-state-c ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Georgia State Capitol Welcomes the Historic Cities Exhibition in Celebration of Navroz

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63n2b0L ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Breadwinner Returns in Recognition of International Women’s Day

Excerpt:

“Storytelling is a powerful approach used to highlight how women struggle in order to elevate their status and to address their rights,” says Dr. Mona Tajali, Assistant Professor of International Relations and Women’s Studies at Agnes Scott College. The stark reality is that there are still countries in the world today where it is harder to be a young girl, and where barriers between girls and their dreams and rights are painful to experience, observe, and fully comprehend.

In recognition of International Women’s Day, the Ismaili Council for Southeastern United States, in partnership with the Consuls General of Canada and Ireland and the Honorary Consul of Luxembourg, hosted the screening of the film and held a moderated panel discussion, which also included Dr. Tajali and Executive Producer of Aircraft Pictures, Andrew Rosen. The theme for International Women’s Day this year was “Balance for Better.” The Consuls General each shared what steps their respective countries are taking to improve gender-based disparities. They also shared some of the major impediments to gender equality that still exist in their respective countries.

The screening was attended by members of the Ismaili community and the public. The film takes its rightful place in the many works that have been created to stress the need for gender equality, uniquely utilizing the concept of animation. “The way they used animation to tell a complex, challenging story was magnificent,” said Marina Peed, Executive Director/CEO of Mosaic Georgia, who attended the screening.

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/usa/breadwinner-ret ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Painting a better tomorrow

In Uganda, volunteer communities have come together in numerous ways to create positive change — a cornerstone of civil society. In a small township in the northern part of Kampala, more than 50 volunteers between the ages of 11 and 15 put their hands to work repainting the Kyanja Muslim Nursery School in late April.

The theme of the activity was engagement with civil society, and the aim of the project was to safeguard the education of 60 young boys and girls who attend the school.

The Kyanja Muslim Nursery School was built about 20 years ago and, with time, had become neglected. The under-resourced school was identified as a project in need, with the assistance of the Aga Khan Foundation East Africa.

In just two days, with the assistance of donors and young volunteers, three classrooms and external parts of the school were painted to provide a fresh look and new hope. Additionally, a new gate was installed, the school grounds were cleared, and the volunteers planted over 100 plants and trees. All building materials, as well as the plants and the trees, were donated by members of the Jamat. The school has undergone substantial visible repairs which will last many years.

As a separate initiative, nine TKN volunteers between the ages of 7 and 10 collected good quality, age-appropriate books from members of the Jamat in Kampala to donate to the school. The TKN initiative, called “Gift of Reading” was under the mentorship of two older volunteers and the idea was to foster improved literacy and a love for reading.

Chairman Ameena Lalani of the Aga Khan Education Board in Uganda said, “What is amazing and makes this initiative so interesting is that, it’s children helping children. And having an understanding and empathy for those in a less fortunate position is also key to a child’s growth and development. Our volunteers understand that giving back doesn’t only help those who we are seeking to serve, it is also something that can directly benefit the volunteers themselves. This year, we are grateful to our volunteers, donors, and the nine very young TKN volunteers with whose support so much has been achieved.”

President of the National Council Minaz Jamal said, “The work done over the Easter weekend with the school and the community, in terms of painting the school, tree plantation at the school, and gifting of 320 books to improve children’s chances in later life is invaluable and we’re proud of our young volunteers who are developing a growing sense of civic responsibility for a better Uganda.”

Earlier in April, to commemorate World Health Day, volunteers from the Aga Khan Health Board and Outreach Portfolio Uganda, in collaboration with the Kibuli Hospital in Kampala, hosted a free medical camp, which is part of a series of outreach events with the Kibuli community.

Approximately 640 local participants benefited from the medical camp this year, which is held annually and fully supported by donors and volunteers from the community. Patients at the event were provided with medication for diabetes, hypertension, allergies, and infections.

Gulzar Hirani, from the Aga Khan Health Board in Uganda, said, “It is critical to screen for non-communicable diseases on a regular basis to have early diagnoses and prevention. With timely interventions most of the diseases can be controlled.”

Nadim Lalani, chairman of the Outreach Portfolio, said, “The camp is supervised by doctors and medical staff, to provide high quality medical facilities to communities in need. This year we had three doctors and 15 health care assistants, including paramedics, on duty. We are committed to returning back again and working with these impoverished communities. In addition to free health camps, we also organise food donation to orphanages as well as Ramadan Iftar dinners.”

President Minaz Jamal said of the medical camp, “The idea is to bring healthcare to the doorstep of people in need. We seek to adopt an environment of care and compassion, that enables us to respond and we regularly provide intervention through such camps and work with Kibuli Hospital and others to make a small difference.”

“The people who benefit from this intervention, do not even have access to basic medical care, and are extremely grateful to receive check-ups and medication. We have also in the past spoken to this community about the benefits of early childhood development. All this is possible with the generosity of our partners and our dedicated volunteers who look after health and outreach matters.”

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/paintin ... r-tomorrow
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Melbourne Pipe Band brings community together

Music plays a vital role in culture and society alike, not only for expressing ourselves but also for promoting and uplifting physical and mental wellbeing. Music allows people from all different backgrounds to come together to appreciate and engage with their traditions, while also forming connections with one another.

The Melbourne Pipe Band came together some 10 years ago to share their love for music, marching, and tradition. Through their performances at outreach events, the Band have demonstrated the values of unity, love, acceptance, and tolerance.

More recently, this has involved impressing the crowds at the annual Australia Day breakfast hosted by the Melbourne Lions Club and the White Horse Council, whilst Ismaili volunteers from I-CERV served breakfast. One of the younger members of the Pipe Band, Hussain, remarked that the outreach event was “a memorable experience of giving back to society and representing the Ismaili community.”

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/melbour ... y-together
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Civic Ramadan Food Drive 2019

Food and Fund Drive

Goal: To Provide 80,000 meals

Thousands of Canadians face hunger every year and food banks across the country are unable to keep up with the demand. Especially in the summer months.

Ismaili Civic Ramadan Food Drive serves to show the collective goodwill of Ismaili Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan. This is an independent initiative lead by Ismaili Civic Volunteers in support of food banks across Ontario and supported by Food Banks Canada, which is a national charitable organization representing the food bank community across Canada.

During this campaign $1.00 = 3 meals, and 1.2 pounds of food = 1 meal

Our goal is to provide 50,000 meals through collecting non-perishable food items. In addition, there are many who wish to contribute in cash. This year, we hope to raise $10,000 which will be used to provide 30,000 meals. These will be donated by Ismaili Muslims individuals through our Ismaili Civic Ramadan Food Drive to help underprivileged families across Ontario.

Through your support, you are helping Canadians gain access to food banks more than 1.1 million times each month. Many food banks in Food Banks Canada network act as food hubs for local food agencies and pantries.

https://foodbankscanada.akaraisin.com/D ... 702&mid=48
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

UK’s i-Cerv programme demonstrates importance of serving and supporting others

Over the years, Mawlana Hazar Imam has often spoken of the importance of civil society and of contributing towards the wellbeing of our communities. The iCERV programme in the UK has demonstrated that this ethic is very much alive within our Jamat.

It was a gloomy Sunday morning in December 2018; a thin layer of frost had settled overnight and there was a biting chill in the air. A December day much like any other. But for the Ismaili community in the United Kingdom, that Sunday would prove to mark a rather special milestone.

That morning, a number of Ismaili volunteers arrived at Emmanuel House, Nottingham — a centre which supports homeless, vulnerable, and isolated adults — to help set up and deliver the daily hot meal service. What they didn’t know at the time was that this was the 60th iCERV project to be delivered in the United Kingdom.

iCERV — Ismaili Community Engaged in Responsible Volunteering — is a programme whose mission is to offer Jamati members an opportunity to serve the wider communities in which they reside. Upon its UK launch during the Diamond Jubilee year, the UK jurisdiction Jamat committed to engaging in 60 iCERV projects before the end of 2018 to commemorate 60 years of Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Imamat.

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/uks-i-c ... ing-others
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National ... index.html

Ismaili volunteers serve orphanage

Wednesday June 5 2019

In Summary

Donation. More than 800 children are part of the orphanage that received cooked rice, boxes of milk and cartons of sodas

By STEPHEN OTAGE

Young Ismaili Muslim volunteers on Saturday distributed, milk, soft drinks and a hearty meal to orphaned and vulnerable Muslim children living at the Kasangati Orphan Fans Society in Kawanda, Wakiso District.

“This work is part of the civil society support and engagement which we carry out in different parts of the country to promote the spirit of humanity as propagated by Islam. Today, we are distributing Iftar dinner for this orphanage, which houses 700 children.

“In Islam what is important is brotherhood; looking after the needy and under-privileged and the act of giving back to community in which you live. Enhancing continuity in volunteering and making it a part of the volunteer’s life is also one of our community’s goals. Each year we have different activities including health camps and at Idd we are planning another activity along similar lines,” Nadim Lalani, the Outreach chairperson for the Shia Imami Ismaili National Council, said on Saturday.

Sheikh Sulaiman Kiberu, the executive director of the orphanage, said more than 800 children are part of the orphanage which receives orphans from all parts of the country and as far as Sudan.

He said they need about Shs500m every term to run the orphanage. Sheikh kiberu received cooked rice, boxes of milk and cartons of sodas for the orphanage.

“We survive on such donations of good-willed and generous communities such as the Ismaili Muslims, who occasionally also make contributions towards maintenance of the orphanage,” Sheikh Kiberu said.
The Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims, often known as the Ismailis, belong to the Shia branch of Islam. The Shia form one of the two major branches of Islam, the Sunni being the other.

The Ismailis live in more than 25 different countries (mainly in Central and South Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe, North America and Australia, and number approximately 20 million) and are the followers of His Highness the Aga Khan, who works for poverty alleviation and promotion of global peace through the principles of pluralism and unity in diversity.

The Ismailis have a strong sense of volunteerism and engage in a number of social and economic initiatives for common good.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center hosts the Sugar Land City Council Candidates Forum

The Sugar Land City Council Candidates Forum was organized by the League of Women Voters and the Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce, and held at the Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center, on Saturday April 20, 2019.

As host Murad Ajani, President of the Aga Khan Council for the Southwestern United States, gave the welcome address to the audience and candidates, he highlighted the core values of the Ismaili community, saying, “The Aga Khan and the Ismaili Muslims promote an understanding of Islam that draws on the value of service, pluralism, forgiveness, and the unity of our shared humanity.”

The moderators for the Forum were Emmy award-winning reporter and KHOU fill-in anchor Grace White, along with Houston-based attorney and Board Member of LVW Houston, Phillip Yates. Moderators presented the panel of candidates with questions, and each candidate was provided allocated time for responses. The audience was impressed by the dedication shown by each candidate to serve the city of Sugar Land.

During the forum, an interesting question was posed about what each valued most on a free Saturday. Many agreed that a “free Saturday” is rare, but if able to take advantage of such an opportunity, candidates highlighted numerous activities that are available in Sugar Land, including Town Center’s “Movies Under the Stars,” parks, events at the Smart Financial Center, and Skeeters Stadium.

Sugar Land is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the candidates were unified in shining the light on the city’s embrace of diverse ideas, and the contributions of the residents, local businesses, and cultural activities. Candidate Naushad Kermally offered an icebreaker exercise to engage the audience by requesting them to introduce themselves to one another in thirty seconds, thus highlighting the true extent of diversity represented in the hall.

Each candidate on stage energetically touched on how they would work towards making Sugar Land a place for people of all cultures, demographics, and beliefs.

Photos and more...
https://the.ismaili/usa/jamatkhana-and- ... ates-forum
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

No Tobacco Day Rally at Anand, Gujarat

On Friday, 31st May, 2019, ‘No Tobacco’ awareness programme was conducted by the Aga Khan Health Board for Ahmedabad - Anand Centre. It consisted of a World No Tobacco Day Awareness Rally that was conducted with the help of Scouts & Guides - Anand, Aga Khan Youth & Sports Board - Anand and India Volunteer Core Group -Division Anand.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (Dy SP), Anand, Shri D.R.Patel was the Chief Guest. He appreciated the efforts of the Ismaili community and congratulated the community and the volunteers for conducting this awareness rally. He also gave guidance and support for the programme.

The rally started with a flag off jointly given by Dy SP Shri D.R.Patel and Dr Amin Hirani, Chairman, Aga Khan Health Board for Ahmedabad. The starting point of the rally was Anand Nagarpalika and it ended at Ekta traffic police check post, Anand Town. Many citizens in Anand appreciated this community effort and cheered the participants along the rally.

Gallery at:

https://the.ismaili/india/no-tobacco-da ... nd-gujarat
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Doors Open at the Ismaili Centre Toronto and Aga Khan Museum

Summer sunshine warmed the crowds that lined up outside the Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Centre Toronto for Doors Open.

The annual event was held over the weekend of May 25-26 with both buildings open to visitors from across the city, eager to see the buildings and enjoy the tours.

Nimet Ahmed, Chair of the Ismaili Centre Toronto Tours team, was delighted to see the enthusiastic crowds.

“It was heartwarming to see so many visitors from all walks of life and for us to have the opportunity to create awareness of our community through our beautiful Centre,” said Ahmed.

“It was a wonderful opportunity to build bridges with the wider community in fulfilling the vision of this Centre.”

Doors Open, presented by Great Gulf, celebrated its 20th annual event this year with visitors able to learn about more than 150 of the most architecturally, historically, culturally and socially significant buildings across the city.

This year’s theme – 20 Something – focused on the event’s past and future, celebrating the first 20 years of Doors Open Toronto.

The Aga Khan Park hummed with music, food vendors, people admiring the reflecting pools, and birds basking in the cool water. Visitors were able to see both buildings by participating in guided tours offered every 20 minutes.

The Aga Khan Museum saw over 6800 visitors through the weekend. Guests enjoyed architecturally inspired tours, family friendly art activities, and pop-up performances.

An art installation - Not Elsewhere, greeted visitors in the light-filled atrium. This large-scale textile installation was created for the museum by globally-celebrated artist Sanaz Mazinani and Scotiabank Contact Photography. It features three scrolls, each over 75 feet in length, suspended from the ceiling.

About 2900 people visited the Ismaili Centre over the two days with many of them seeing it for the first time.

The Museum’s feature exhibition, The Moon: A Voyage Through Time, continued to be a popular stop for visitors and photo opportunities.

Door’s Open continues to a much anticipated and fun filled weekend for the city and the Ismaili Centre looks forward to participating for years to come.

https://the.ismaili/canada/doors-open-t ... rce=Direct
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Ismaili Community Ensemble weave tapestry of sounds at London Eid Festival

Fête de la Musique, also known as World Music Day, is celebrated on 21 June every year. On this day, musicians around the world are urged to play and listen to music outdoors in their neighbourhoods, or in gardens, parks, and public spaces. In the lead-up to the occasion earlier this month, thousands of people gathered to celebrate Eid ul-Fitr at the London Eid Festival 2019 in Trafalgar Square, where they were treated to a special performance by the UK Jamat’s Ismaili Community Ensemble.

World Music Day provides an ideal opportunity to reflect on the power of music to transcend social, cultural, and linguistic barriers, and to provide a medium of communication that speaks directly to each individual.

At the Aga Khan Music Awards Prize giving ceremony in Lisbon earlier this year, Mawlana Hazar Imam said, “The cultural heritage of Islam has long embraced musical language as an elemental expression of human spirituality. Listening to music, practising music, sharing music, performing music — have long been an intimate part of life for Muslim communities across the world.”

Speaking of the remarkable diversity existing within the world of music from Muslim civilisations, Hazar Imam continued, “It comes in many styles, forms and classical repertoires. It includes simple folk melodies, contemplative mystical music and driving dance rhythms; and it reflects the immense diversity of different Muslim cultures themselves, including musical traditions that have been carefully cultivated over the centuries within the Ismaili community.”

Following in this rich tradition, the Ismaili Community Ensemble (ICE) was founded in 2007, as a Golden Jubilee initiative aiming to nurture musical talent within the Jamat. ICE operates on the premise that music can be a powerful method of communication, reflection, and education.

ICE’s latest performance was a beautiful and unforgettable sight to behold, as tens of thousands of people from across a number of communities and cultures come together to celebrate the end of Ramadan at the London Eid Festival in the city’s iconic Trafalgar Square on Saturday 8 June 2019.

The London Eid Festival is a free, annual event sponsored by the Mayor of London, and is attended by Muslims and Non-Muslims in a showcase and celebration of London’s diverse communities and cultures. A key message of the day was encompassed by the hashtag #LondonIsOpen, reflecting the city’s acceptance of people from different countries and backgrounds.

On the day of the event, Trafalgar Square is transformed into a spectacular, colourful festival as attendees feast on food from around the world, and are entertained by an eclectic mix of live music, dance, and spoken word poetry.

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/our-stories/communi ... d-festival
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Mayor Tory celebrates Iftar at the Ismaili Centre, Toronto

During the month of Ramadan, Muslims around the world break their daily fast with Iftar, an evening meal observed at sunset. On May 16, 2019, Mayor of Toronto John Tory met guests at the Ismaili Centre, Toronto to enjoy and connect through Iftar festivities.

The celebratory event featured speeches from leadership and devotional performances by Muslim artists.

Representatives from the Government of Ontario and the Consulates of Afghanistan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, and the Netherlands were in attendance, and Leaders’ International Forum Chairman and AKDN Representative to Canada Dr. Mahmoud Eboo was also at the event.

Ismaili Council for Ontario President Sheherazade Hirji welcomed the guests.

“The idea of sharing a meal, particularly at the end of fasting, epitomizes a sense of connection and community,” said President Hirji.

“There is indeed something very comforting and very special about breaking bread together in the spirit of hospitality and openness.”

President Hirji noted that Muslims share the values of “fellowship, generosity, thinking of others, and showing compassion” with Canadians “of every religious tradition.”

In his own speech, Mayor Tory said he has noticed a “spirit of fellowship and humanity” while attending recent Iftar events in Toronto - values that he has seen at the forefront of every Ismaili event he has attended.

“I’d like to say thank you to this community for standing as a sterling example of community service and good citizenship,” said the Mayor, who had joined Muslims in fasting the previous day.

Photos and more...
https://the.ismaili/canada/mayor-tory-c ... ar-toronto
Northeast Jamat commemorates Earth Day with service events

In a speech made in Ottawa in 2013, Mawlana Hazar Imam stated that Muslims have a “responsibility and obligation, as good stewards of God’s creation, to leave the world in a better condition than we found it."

Throughout the month of April, members of the Northeast Ismaili community upheld this notion of stewardship by participating in Earth Day service events. From cleaning parks, to planting trees, to collecting trash, Jamats across the Northeast region engaged in acts of service within their local communities. The events were organized under the I-CERV (Ismaili Community Engaged in Responsible Volunteering) initiative.

Farida Nekushoeva, the project manager for I-CERV events in the Northeast, expressed that these events hold significance because they promote the importance of caring for the environment and protecting God’s creation. She also added, “Positively contributing to environmental development and improvement at the community level fosters a greater relationship with communities outside of the Ummah, spreading the genuine peaceful notion of our Jamat and its faith.”

Earth Day service events were organized for Jamats from Edison, Lake Success, Manhattan, New York Headquarters, Philadelphia, Poughkeepsie, Richmond, and Washington, D.C.

Photos and more...

https://the.ismaili/usa/northeast-jamat ... ice-events
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Religious group packs 10,000 meals for the hungry ahead of Independence Day

One religious group traveled to Little Rock to pack 10,000 meals in three hours to help those who need it most, ahead of the holiday week.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — While many people got a jump start on the Fourth of July celebrations this weekend, some volunteers made sure the less fortunate had enough to eat this Independence Day.

In just a matter of hours, one religious group packed 10,000 meals for the hungry in Pulaski County.

They call themselves I-CERV, which stands for Ismaili Community Engaged in Responsible Volunteering. Saturday, they hosted the first ever Freedom From Hunger event.

Some of these volunteers traveled from different cities in the United States to spend their Saturday packing meals to make sure everyone in our community had something to eat while celebrating our freedom.

Tasneem Devani has been a member of I-CERV for most of her life.

"Serving is about feeling. Serving is about coming together. Serving, for us, means we are able to benefit someone else," she said.

Video and more....

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/loca ... e3b5086f95