Hasanabad Monument

Ismaili monuments, places to visit etc..
kmaherali

Hasanabad Monument

Post by kmaherali »

As recieved....

Recently I had the good fortune of visiting Hasanabad in Mubai India.
I am embarrased to admit that although I grew up in Mumbai I did not know the historical backgound of the famous monument.

I was able to sit and pray quitely by myself at midday in the "Kuba",(the main space where there is the tomb of our 46th Imam Hasan Alishah.) It was an amazing feeling .

I saw there were 2 big kabars and one small kabars in the centre of the kuba.

I knew one big one was of IMAM HASAN ALISHAH (46th Imam),( After whom the place is named) but I did not know whose were the other two

My small research gave me the following information..
The second kabar is only an image kabar of IMAM AGA ALISHAH( 47th Imam). His body was temporarily buried in Hasanabad for a short period and then transported to Karbala and buried permanently in Najaf (Iraq) as per his wish expressed prior to his physical death.
The impression however is maintained in Hasanabad in the form of a kabar.
The third small kabar is of our only Child Pir Abulhasanshah (48th Pir) (BAL PIR)
He was the son of Pir Shahbudin Shah (47th Pir) and grandson of Imam Aga Alishah.
Pir Shabudin shah was the Pir during the Imamat of Aga Alishah , he was a very learned and wise man of immense knowledge .
he died at the very early age of 33.
Soon after his death Imam Aga Alishah gave Piratan to his son Abul Hasan shah who was only 6 months old but he gloriosly carried the divinity of the position.
It is said he used to smile and acknowledge the salams presented by the Ismaili Murids just like a mature Pir.
He had a custodian appointed by Imam to manage his official work
He lived a very short life of few months. He is buried in Hasanabad.
After his death Imam aga Alishah gave the Office of Imamat and Piratan both to Imam Sultan Mohammad shah after his own death

There are 2 more kabars in the basement of Hasanabad Tomb they were great Ismaili heroes with exceptional services to the Imam of the time.
1. is of Vazir Rahim bhai Basaria (died 1927)
2. is of Captain Aga Majid khan (died 1960)

There is also a small backgound history about the land of Hasanabad.
In 1840 when Mumbai was a small town, there was a Darkhana Jamatkhana mukhi named Mukhi Ladakbhai Haji who purchased a big plot of land in Mazgaon at the rate of 3 paise a yard.
He invited Imam Hasan Shah to come and bless the land.
When Imam Hasan shah arrived at the location he was so impressed with the place that he urged the mukhi to give the plot to him.
Mukhi was overwhelmed by Mawla's wish and Gifted the land to the Imam and felt very blessed he was able offer something to the Imam that he could easily afford and was able to.
Imam promptly expressed his wish that when he physically leaves the world , his body must be buried there and a memorial built.
Mukhi started crying when he heard of the death plan from Imam but he was assured by the Imam that this was the natural course for every Imam.
There is a change of "joma" after every Imam until the day of judgement. He added:
"I have arrived here in response the supplicatory prayers of pir Saderdin and Hasan kabirdin to give deedar and guidance in "JAMPUDEEP" and I will stay here till I die and also my body will be buried here so that none of my murid could say I did not keep the promise made to the Pirs."
As per Imam's wish his body was buried after his death and the place named "Hasanabad "
Many buildings were built around the huge compound where so many Ismailis lived with peace and happiness.
A jamatkhana building was also built.
47th and 48th Imams visited the place very frequently during their Imamats and stay in India.
Imam Sultan Mohammadshah enjoyed a glorious Imamat with so many events and landmark firmans made on the parthar of Hasanabad.Even Hazar Imam has visted the place several times.
A unique Ismaili monument indeed.
Everyone visiting Mumbai must visit this blessed place with immense history and barakat.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

small correction.

Pir Abul Hasan Shah passed away very early in the Imamat of Imam Sultan Mohammed Shah - probably around 9 months to a year old. ]

Capt. Aga Majid Khan was also a cousin of Imam Sultan Mohammed Shah - if I am not mistaken.

Shams
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

There is also a small golden cradle and dress underneath two tombs, it is said that pir Abdul Hasan Shah used to sleep in that craddle, you need to enter from a very small passage gate, unfortunately I couldn't see that cradle and dress due to construction going on at that time. The muzavar (name Karim) and my relatives gave me this information during my last October month visit to India.
You can also climb top of two pillars and watch surrounding areas but I also missed that because I didn't know at that time.
Have you seen the Potrait of our first Imam Hazarat Ali? it is very nice.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

photo
5/365 - Aga Khan I Shah HasanAli Shah's Maqbara, Hasanabad, Mazagaon, Mumbai, Maharashtra - India

http://www.flickr.com/photos/humayunnap ... 649817216/

I dedicate this photograph to Jamaal Sahab (Sherali Poppat Jamal), Diamond Jubilee High School (my school) and to all my Ismailie Khoja friends and well wishers.

Though I have shot this beautiful and revered landmark before .. but it has always been on odd hours ... right time to click is morning 7 ... I am not an early riser .. but the pressure to churn out quality visuals made me reach the spot at dot 7 (Hahahahaha)
HDR image merging 27 photographs of different exposures with High Pass and a dodge/burn here and there.
Also after a long time I did a dramatic HDR.
Shot today morning with Nikon D90 and Fish Eye lens.

===========================
Hasanabad or Shah Hasan Ali's Maqbara or Mausoleum is the resting place of 46th Imam - Aga Khan I, Imam of the Nizari Ismailite sect of the Shiite Muslims, circa 1884, Mazagaon.
A marble paean glows through the grime Standing at the threshold of Hasanabad, it's almost impossible to believe that this brilliant blue-domed building belongs to Mumbai.
Its golden minarets evoke memories of Delhi or Hyderabad but not Mumbai's grimy Mazagaon.
Yet, Hasanabad, is a veritable treasure trove of little known nuggets of the city's history.
Aga Khan, a resident of Iran arrived in Mumbai in 1846, and eventually became a permanent resident of the country and died in Mumbai in 1881. His funeral was attended by the consuls of Turkey and Iran as well as high-ranking British officials.
This marble mausoleum took a full three years to build and the minaret is said to be 19 feet high.
The monument may soon gain an important distinction - a new list of heritage structures is awaiting approval and Hasanabad is at last on it.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Happy Days in Hasanabad

By Dr. Aziz R. Kurwa

http://simerg.com/the-jamatkhana/happy- ... hasanabad/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Hasanabad: A piece of history amid a rapidly changing landscape

Hasanabad’s architectural style, many visitors feel, resemble the Taj Mahal. It has domes and two 90 feet minarets joined to the mausoleum.

Within the narrow, bustling streets of Mazagaon lies Hasanabad, the resting place of Aga Khan I, the 46th Imam of the Nizari or Ismaili Muslims.

Surrounded by chawls, highrises and shops, the marble monument that reminds many a visitor of the Taj Mahal, is a hidden historical gem. It has a wide ground surrounded by gardens and is a famous horticulture site.
At the far side of the compound lies the mausoleum (Maqbara) that has the tomb of Aga Khan I.

Built in 1884 by Aga Khan II and the local Khoja community for Rs 3 lakh, it was the resting place of Aga Khan I, the leader of the Khoja community in Bombay. He died in 1881. Born Hasan Ali Shah, he was awarded the title “Aga Khan” while he was the governor of an Iranian province in the early 1800s.

Hasanabad’s architectural style, many visitors feel, resemble the Taj Mahal. It has domes and two 90 feet minarets joined to the mausoleum.

“I was awestruck by Hasanabad when I first came here two years ago. I felt so peaceful,” says Karim, a migrant from Northern India.

Not known to many – only Ismailis are allowed to enter the inner tomb in Hasanabad – concerns over security made the monument off limits for the general public in recent years. However, it continues to be a pilgrimage site and many Ismailis travel to the city just to visit Hasanabad.

“On festive occasions, like the 14th day of Rajab, Hasanabad is filled with devotees,” says Bajruddin Prehman, one of Hasanabad’s caretakers.

Karim Hooda, a Texas resident, says: “When you walk in, (you will find) it has a homely, lively and community-like aura unlike anything you can experience elsewhere in the world. The place is home to rich history. It is the perfect manifestation of the beautiful struggle and is a breeding ground for many a great people.” The place was once a hub for social activities.
Rafique Baghdadi, a film critic, author and historian, said: “During the Bombay plague (1896), Aga Khan II allowed Khojas to take preventive medicines in the Hasanabad compound itself.”

Although access may be restricted, a glance from outside, visitors feel, is quite breathtaking.

The monument that is illuminated after sunset, stands as a sparkling white piece of history in the rapidly changing landscape of South Mumbai.
Have a comment or suggestion for Tourist Spot? Write to mumbai.newsline @expressindia.com with subject line: Tourist Spot

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities ... e-4773351/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

[Dec] This month in history: Imam Hasan Ali Shah established his residence in Bombay

Imam Hasan Ali Shah Aga Khan I, the forty-sixth Nizari Ismaili Imam, settled in Bombay (now Mumbai), India in December 1848, establishing the seat of Imamat there, initiating the modern period in Nizari Ismaili history.

Aga Khan I Bombay Mumbai
Official portrait of Imam Hasan Ali Shah taken after 1847. Source: The Ismailis An Illustrated History

In the aftermath of the destruction of their state of Alamut, the Nizari Ismailis who survived the Mongol catastrophe, were deprived of a central leadership they had enjoyed during the Alamut period (1090-1256). Although the Imamat continued in the progeny of Imam Rukn al-Din Khurshah (r. 1255-1257), the last Imam of Alamut, Imams remained in hiding for almost two centuries. The scattered Nizari communities developed locally and in isolation from one another while observing strict precautionary measures in order to escape rampant persecution. “To that end, they not only concealed their true beliefs as well as their religious literature, but also resorted to a wide variety of Sunni, Sufi, Twelver Shi’i and Hindu disguises in the midst of hostile surroundings in the Iranian world and the Indian subcontinent” (Daftary, The Isma’ilis Their History and Doctrines, p 404).

Around 1425-26, Imam Islam Shah settled in Anjundan, in central Persia to revive the da’wa and literary activities. Imam Hasan Ali Shah, who succeeded to the Imamat in 1817, achieved political prominence in Persia and was bestowed the title of Aga Khan by the Qajar monarch Fath Ali Shah (d. 1834). Owing to political unrest, Imam migrated to Qandahar, Afghanistan in 1841, marking the end of the Persian period in Nizari Ismaili history that had lasted some seven centuries since Alamut time.

In Afghanistan, Imam Hasan Ali Shah associated with the British offering his services to them. He subsequently migrated to Sind in the Indian subcontinent where he resided in Jerruck (now in Pakistan), continuing to offer his services to the British. In 1844, Imam left Sind, travelling to Karachi, Cutch, Kathiavar, and Calcutta, eventually settling permanently in Bombay in 1848, establishing his durkhana, or chief residence there. This began an era of regular contacts between Imam and the widely dispersed communities.

The Nizari Ismaili Khojas of the Indian subcontinent, who had made the hazardous journey to Persia for several centuries to see the Imam, were overjoyed to have the Imam residing closer to them. Imam Hasan Ali Shah attended the jamatkhana in Bombay on special religious occasions, and led the public prayers there. Every Saturday when in Bombay, he also held durbar, granting audience to members of the community.

Imam Hasan Ali Shah personally appointed a mukhi and his assistant kamadia in every Nizar Ismaili jamat of a certain size in the Indian subcontinent, continuing the communal organisation established by Pir Sadr al-Din in the Indian subcontinent.

Pir Sadr al-Din converted large numbers of Hindus giving them the Persian title khwaja, meaning lord or master, corresponding to the term thakur by which the Hindus were addressed. Pir Sadr al-Din is credited with establishing the first jamatkhana in the fifteenth century in Kotri, Sind, with additional ones in Panjab and Kashmir, and subsequently extending the da’wa to the State of Gujarat.

Continuing his association with the British in the subcontinent, Imam Hasan Ali Shah was visited at his Bombay residence by the Prince of Wales when the future King Edward VII (1901-1910) was on a state visit. Imam came to be officially addressed as His Highness by the British.

Imam Hasan Ali Shah Aga Khan I died in 1881, after an Imamat of sixty-four years and was buried in a mausoleum at Hasanabad in the Mazagaon area of Bombay. He was succeeded by his eldest son Aqa Ali Shah.

Aga Khan Hasanabad Bombay Mumbai
Imam Hasan Ali Shah’s mausoleum in Mumbai. Source: Raiba Anjali Dileep, The Unknown Mumbai
Sources:
Farhad Daftary, The Isma’ilis Their History and Doctrines, Second Edition, Cambridge University Press, 2007

Farhad Daftary, Zulfikar Hirji, The Ismailis An Illustrated History, Azimuth Editions in Association with The Institute of Ismaili Studies

Raiba Anjali Dileep, The Hasnabad Dargah, Unknown Mumbai

https://nimirasblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... in-bombay/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

History speaks: Rediscovering Hasanabad

Hidden within the narrow, bustling streets of Mazgaon, Mumbai, is Hasanabad Mausoleum, the resting place of Mawlana Hasan Ali Shah, Aga Khan I.

Hidden among the bustling streets of South Mumbai and its sprawling skyline lies a haven of solace and peace: Hasanabad. Often described as ‘Mumbai’s Taj Mahal’, the monument is a mausoleum or dargah: the final resting place of Imam Hasan Ali Shah, the 46th Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims.

A setting of peace, beauty, and historical significance, Hasanabad is a hidden gem. In the cool shade of its carved arches, visitors are transported to a different time, far from the web of high-rise buildings, apartment blocks, and mosques that surround this structure.

Hasanabad’s historical significance as the final resting place of Imam Hasan Ali Shah is well documented. In the year 1846, Imam Hasan Ali Shah, a resident of Iran, arrived in Mumbai, officially establishing the Seat of Imamat in India after seven centuries in Persia. He travelled from Iran to Central Asia and eventually to India at the dawn of the modern era in history, accompanied by relatives and courtiers, to join many followers who had found refuge in South Asia. Maintaining the tradition of Iranian nobility, Imam Hasan Ali Shah kept excellent stables in India. His 64-year Imamat has been extensively documented in the Ibrat-Afza, recently translated by The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS). Offering an autobiography of the Imam, this publication provides an important primary source on the life and early career of Aga Khan I, including his life in Persia, his relations with the Qajar rulers in Iran, and his eventual settlement in India.

In April 1881, Imam Hasan Ali Shah passed away after a long and eventful Imamat. His son and successor, Imam Aga Ali Shah was in Karachi when his father passed and was informed about his demise via an urgent telegram. On the 1st of July 1881, several months after his death and after all the administrative formalities had been completed, his body was buried in Mazgaon, Mumbai. A foundation was laid which would later become the centre of the dargah around which the permanent mausoleum was built. It is said that the monument was built at an expense of three hundred thousand rupees and that it would have cost more, had it not been for the Ismaili men and women who participated in its construction.

The year 1891, 10 years after the death of Imam Hasan Ali Shah, marked an important period in the history of the monument. An Ismaili individual by the name of Abba Nasru from Zanzibar offered 1,000 tolas (one tola is equivalent to 10 grams) of pure gold which was formed into the building’s domes upon fulfilment of a vow. Abba Nasru vowed that if his failing business improved he would make an offering at the Hasanabad dargah. Eventually, when his business recovered, Nasru kept his promise. This tradition of fulfilling a vow continues today with a cultural ritual of placing a coconut on each step of the stairs of the dargah, as a means of fulfilling one’s vow. Similar to other shrines, Hasanabad also has an annual commemoration of urs and other rituals which are common practice at many other shrines.

Inspired by the design of the Taj Mahal, Hasanabad’s architectural elements are iconic. There are three domes at the top of the structure along with intricately crafted minarets that flank the corners. The tallest of the central and eastern domes that were donated are 16 feet high and weigh approximately 1,300 kg. Bathed in the aura of the evening sunset, Hasanabad’s golden minarets evoke memories of the magnificent Islamic monuments of old Delhi and Hyderabad. The entire structure evokes emotions of devotion, dedication, and reverence, a visual treat for urban eyes weary of the busy landscape around it.

Today, the Hasanabad dargah overlooks a playground and shares space with an Ismaili Jamatkhana and a housing society. The co-existence of the dargah, a commonplace Sufi space of congregational gathering, and the Jamatkhana on the same plot of land is testimony to the evolution of sacred spaces in Islam. Across almost all cultures that have embraced Islam, a plurality of sacred spaces has been facilitated. Whilst mosques are the central house of worship for a majority of Muslims, many Muslim communities have developed their own distinctive religious spaces. These complementary spaces serve the different groups, cultures, geographies, and interpretations of Islam that continue to enrich the Muslim tradition.

--

Irfan Haslani is a graduate of The Institute of Ismaili Studies in London, and currently works as a Research Associate with ITREB India.

Photo at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/feature ... -hasanabad
kmaherali

Re: Hasanabad Monument

Post by kmaherali »

As received...

Hasanabad or Shah Hasan Ali's Maqbara or Mausoleum* is the resting place of 46th Imam - Aga Khan I, Imam of the Nizari Ismailite sect of the Shiite Muslims, circa 1884, Mazagaon.

A marble paean glows through the grime Standing at the threshold of Hasanabad, it's almost impossible to believe that this brilliant blue-domed building belongs to Mumbai. Its golden minarets evoke memories of Delhi or Hyderabad but not Mumbai's grimy Mazagaon.

Yet, Hasanabad, is a veritable treasure trove of little known nuggets of the city's history.

Aga Khan, a resident of Iran arrived in Mumbai in 1846, and eventually became a permanent resident of the country and died in Mumbai in 1881. His funeral was attended by the consuls of Turkey and Iran as well as high-ranking British officials.

This marble mausoleum took a full three years to build and the minaret is said to be 19 feet high - The monument may soon gain an important distinction - a new list of heritage structures is awaiting approval and Hasanabad is at last on it.

Recently I had the good fortune of visiting Hasanabad in Mubai India.
I am embarrased to admit that although I grew up in Mumbai I did not know the historical backgound of the famous monument.

I was able to sit and pray quitely by myself at midday in the "Kuba",(the main space where there is the tomb of our 46th Imam Hasan Alishah.) It was an amazing feeling .
I saw there were 2 big kabars and one small kabars in the centre of the kuba.
I knew one big one was of IMAM HASAN ALISHAH (46th Imam),( After whom the place is named) but I did not know whose were the other two

My small research gave me the following information..

The second kabar is only an image kabar of IMAM AGA ALISHAH( 47th Imam). His body was temporarily buried in Hasanabad for a short period and then transported to Karbala and buried permanently in Najaf (Iraq) as per his wish expressed prior to his physical death.
The impression however is maintained in Hasanabad in the form of a kabar.

The third small kabar is of our only Child Pir Abulhasanshah (48th Pir) (BAL PIR)
He was the son of Pir Shahbudin Shah (47th Pir) and grandson of Imam Aga Alishah.
Pir Shabudin shah was the Pir during the Imamat of Aga Alishah , he was a very learned and wise man of immense knowledge . He died at the very early age of 33.

Soon after his death Imam Aga Alishah gave Piratan to his son Abul Hasan shah who was only 6 months old but he gloriosly carried the divinity of the position.
It is said he used to smile and acknowledge the salams presented by the Ismaili Murids just like a mature Pir.
He had a custodian appointed by Imam to manage his official work
He lived a very short life of few months. He is buried in Hasanabad.

After his death, Imam aga Alishah gave the Office of Imamat and Piratan both to Imam Sultan Mohammad shah after his own death

There are 2 more kabars in the basement of Hasanabad Tomb they were great Ismaili heroes with exceptional services to the Imam of the time.

1. Vazir Rahim bhai Basaria (died 1927)
2. Captain Aga Majid khan (died 1960)

There is also a small backgound history about the land of Hasanabad.
In 1840 when Mumbai was a small town, there was a Darkhana Jamatkhana mukhi named Mukhi Ladakbhai Haji who purchased a big plot of land in Mazgaon at the rate of 3 paise a yard.
He invited Imam Hasan Shah to come and bless the land.
When Imam Hasan shah arrived at the location he was so impressed with the place that he urged the mukhi to give the plot to him.
Mukhi was overwhelmed by Mawla's wish and Gifted the land to the Imam and felt very blessed he was able offer something to the Imam that he could easily afford and was able to.
Imam promptly expressed his wish that when he physically leaves the world , his body must be buried there and a memorial built.
Mukhi started crying when he heard of the death plan from Imam but he was assured by the Imam that this was the natural course for every Imam.
There is a change of "joma" after every Imam until the day of judgement. He added:
"I have arrived here in response the supplicatory prayers of pir Saderdin and Hasan kabirdin to give deedar and guidance in "JAMPUDEEP" and I will stay here till I die and also my body will be buried here so that none of my murid could say I did not keep the promise made to the Pirs."

As per Imam's wish his body was buried after his death and the place named "Hasanabad "
Many buildings were built around the huge compound where so many Ismailis lived with peace and happiness.
A jamatkhana building was also built.
47th and 48th Imams visited the place very frequently during their Imamats and stay in India.

Imam Sultan Mohammadshah enjoyed a glorious Imamat with so many events and landmark firmans made on the parthar of Hasanabad.Even Hazar Imam has visted the place several times.
A unique Ismaili monument indeed.
Everyone visiting Mumbai must visit this blessed place with immense history and barakat.