Gulshan Khakee - unedited unpublished article

Discussion on ginan meanings, history etc..
Admin

Gulshan Khakee - unedited unpublished article

Post by Admin »

The Vedas as Sources of satpanthi Ismaili Ginan Literature - Full Text

heritage.ismaili.net/node/30522

Download here http://ismaili.net/heritage/files/Khake ... rature.pdf

This is a unique work on the Vedas as sources for Sathpanthi Ginans. The article was prepared by late Dr Gulshan Khakee, a pioneer Ismaili Scholar from Harvard.

Year:
1944 - 2002

Dr Gulshan Khakee was among the pioniers of Ginanic research.

She graduated in teacher training in Nairobi where she taught at the AK Girl School and at the Kenya High School . She did her M.A. at Trinity College in Dublin - Ireland and her PhD. at Harvard in 1972.

Thesis: "The `Das Avatara' of Satpanthi Ismailis and Imam Shahis of Indo-Pakistan." Ph.D. diss., Harvard University , 1972. [Contains a transliteration and translation of the Das Avatara of Imam Shah.]

Dr Gulshan Khakee died of cancer in Bombay at the age of 58, Saturday January 12, 2002.

I read her Thesis on Das Avatara in the late 1970s’ and while searching for Manuscript in Gujarat in 1988, the “Mota Kaka”, the leaders of the Imam Shahis in Pirana told me that she came in the early 1970s’ to visit and was a dedicated researcher, they gave her a manuscript of the “Anant Akhado.”

The Heritage Society invited her for the second SOS Khojki Conference in 1991 in Toronto . She stayed few days with us before leaving for Vermont.

Dr Khakee submitted this particular article to the Heritage Society for publication in the proceedings of the second SOS Khojki Conference. It was mailed to us from Mid-Hudson, NY, USA on 4th October 1991, almost 20 years ago.

As we got busy for the preparation of the Ismaili.net web-site and in other projects in 1992, the proceeding of the 2nd SOS Khojki was not published in a book format. I lost her trace and few years ago, I met her brother Dr Shamsu Khakee in Montreal , he informed me of her demise.

She was a kind soul. She has been an example to follow for many of us.

Here is her article, available to all, as a tribute to the legacy of Dr Gulshan Khakee, an outstanding Ismaili Scholar and a friend to all of us.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Very interesting article, I read some part of Bhagwat Puran' Upnishad, Vedas of Hindu scripture, there are 18 purans in which some purans are devoted to Hindu god and goddess but the most affective puran to Ismaili ginan is "Bhagwat puran"has 18000 sloks, in this puran you can find lots of things which our pirs quoted in their ginans like creation of this universe, 7 seas, 7 skys, 999 rivers, 18 bhar vegetable e.t.c. I suggest interesting readers to read specially this puran as long as Ismaili ginans are concern.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Harvard Thesis of Late Dr Gulshan Khakee on Dasa Avatar of Syed Imam Shah:

http://www.ismaili.net/heritage/node/29102