Ismaili Sites in India

Discussion on doctrinal issues
prince_visram

Ismaili Sites in India

Post by prince_visram »

Ya Ali Madad,

I will be visiting India for the first time (yay!). I was wondering which Ismaili sites I can visit. I will be spending most of my time in Northern India (Mumbai, Gujarat, Agrah, Rajistan, etc.)

I know, and am excited to plan on visiting Pirana Village to visit the Satpanth community..

I also heard that Sayyed Gulmalishah's tomb is somewhere in Gujarat.

I have also heard of a burial site of one of our recent Imams.

Any details on places I can go and learn about our faith would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

PS: also, any Ismaili/Islamic bookstores..! thanks
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Prince,

Below are some information as you requested, if you need more, please e-mail me you have my e-mail.

1, For Ismaili literature:-

When you stay in Mumbai visit KARIMABAD JAMAT KHANA, I think it is in Bhindi Bazar where you can find many Ismaili literature in English and Gujarati languages. Also you can purchase it from any JK in Mumbai and gujarat because I show stall in some JK in Mumbai where you can buy books.

2, Imam Hassan Ali Shah's tomb:-

It is in Mumbai please visit 'HASANABAD' where you can visit Mowlana Hassan Ali Shah's and pir Abul Hasan's tombs.

IF PERMISSIBLE BY MUJAVAR THEN ASK HIM TO LOOK

A, Small golden cradle and dress underneath two tombs, it is said that pir Abdul Hasan Shah used to sleep in that cradle, but you need to enter from a very small passage gate , it was not permissible during my last trip to Hasanabad.
B,You can also climb top of two pillars and watch surrounding areas, I missed that opportunity too during my last trip.
C. A Huge portrait of our first Imam Hazarat Ali (s.a.) is also there.

In GUJARAT:-
There are many pirs tombs in Gujarat
1, Satgur Noor tomb is in Navsari if you travel by road then you will pass Navsari, please visit SATGUR NOOR DARGAH it is well known there you can ask anyone and he/she can give direction for that, if not possible please recite salwat when you pass Navsari, which I did.

2, Visit Pirana (which you already have plan)

3, Visit Mudana 2. k.m from Sidhpur where one of our pir Pir Kassamshah tomb is there.

4, I think Syed Gulamalishah's tomb is in Kera, Kutch, I can exactly locate it for you if you really want to visit that tomb.

In Rajsthan:-

1, If you go in Rajasthan then visit "Mount Abu" and you will love it, please visit at the time of sunset.

2, There is a tomb of 'PIR RAMDEV' in Rajsthan, however he was not our official pir but some believes that he was "KHOJA MISSIONARY" and some Ismailis from Rajstahan also visit his tomb at RAMDEVRA, RUNICHA 13 K.M. FROM POKHRAN. but I do not recommend since it was not our pir.

In Agra there there is a 'TAJ MAHAL" one of the 7 wonder of the world, I think you have plan to visit that and I don't blame you, you will love the scenery over there, if possible go to Delhi there are many interesting places built by Mughal emperors, one of Humaun tomb (VISITED BY HAZAR IMAM).
I think this will helpful please e-mail me if you need more information.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Visit the tomb of RamdevPir, you will not regret.

One day all the 4.5 million of his convert Guptis will join main stream Ismailism and you will be able to say that you know the story of the person who converted them to our faith and you have seen his historical tomb...
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Hey Prince,
If Admin say to visit Ramdev's tomb then go ahead and visit it.

But believe me or not once upon a time I was residing very close to Rajsthan border in Gujarat state, but I didn't visit that tomb because he proclaimed him self as 'NAKALANKI AVATAR' and as a 'PIR', which I didn't believe that time and I still not believe it now, so I didn't visit his tomb and Inshallah I will not visit his tomb in future too.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote:Hey Prince,
If Admin say to visit Ramdev's tomb then go ahead and visit it.

But believe me or not once upon a time I was residing very close to Rajsthan border in Gujarat state, but I didn't visit that tomb because he proclaimed him self as 'NAKALANKI AVATAR' and as a 'PIR', which I didn't believe that time and I still not believe it now, so I didn't visit his tomb and Inshallah I will not visit his tomb in future too.
A. Bhai,
I wonder whether you have read the article about the background of Ramdev Pir. It is titled: "Rewriting the History of a Dalit Nizari Hero". It is posted under:

Doctrines --> link between hinduism and ismalism

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... sc&start=0
prince_visram

Post by prince_visram »

I would like to thank everyone for your help!! The long list will come in handy, I will try and visit all of them if possible!! I am going for the month of Aug before school starts, so I will hopefully have enough time to visit them all.

The only two things:

1. If possible please provide the village/address/area of Pir Gulamalishah's tomb

2. Who was Pir Kassamshah? Do we have any known Ginans by this Pir?

Also, on the side note, is there anything else I should see? Any good shopping sites..? I know this doesnt have much to do with Ismailism but people here look like they've been to India before.

Thanks again..
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

There are all kind of article in the Heritage Web Site, it does not mean that everything written is right.
I didn't wrote above sentence but brother Admin wrote above quote in one of his post and he is absolutely right I agree with him same way the ideas, comments and inputs of all readers also not always right same theroy apply to the authors their believes are not right some time, I am talking about a book name' Conversions and Shifting Identities: Ramdev Pir and the Ismailis in Rajasthan' by Dominique Shila Khan,as per my own ( personal) thinking and understanding she is not right that Ramdev pir was Ismaili or Ismaili pir. We need more research in this matter whether Ramdev was Nizari Ismaili or Ismaili pir.
I wonder whether you have read the article about the background of Ramdev Pir. It is titled: "Rewriting the History of a Dalit Nizari Hero"
K.Bhai,
Yes I read the above link and I already read many other books related Ramdev Pir and his miracles.

I also read his "24 FARMANS", his agamvani (future prediction) some ginans/bhajans but in my opinion only adopting word 'NIZARI' it doesn't prove that he was Nizari Ismaili or our pir as Mrs. Khan tried to impose it that he was in her above book.

Other hand Hindus are claiming that he was 100% Hindu matter of facts they claiming him as 10th incarnation of Lord Vishnu. (NAKALANKI AVATAR)

I may be wrong but as per my little knowledge I haven't come in touch with any Ismaili literature in which Ramdev pir name has been mentioned, besides this book 'Conversions and Shifting Identities: Ramdev Pir and the Ismailis in Rajasthan'.
but how can anyone accept this when she is the only one claiming that Ramdev was Ismaili or Ismaili pir? Do we have other literature that prove she is right? nope, I don't think so, let believe for a second that she is right then let me ask you few question here:-
1, Why our Ismaili literature is very quiet about pir Ramdev?
2, Why his name is not mentioned in our pirs list? in our old Dua in which all names of pirs were recited?
3, Why his any books (specially "24 FARMANS") and ginans are not read and recite in our JK?
4, Are there two Nakalanki Avatar?
1, Hazarat Ali (s.a.)
2, Ramdev pir (!!?) as he claimed hisself as 10th incarnation of Lord vishnu which is totally against our Ismaili faith.
5, It is possible that I haven't come in touch with any ismaili literature yet (except above mentioned book by Mrs. Khan ) where Ramdev pir name has been mentioned, so please let me know if other Ismaili literature available.
Your and other readers comments are welcome.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Code: Select all

If possible please provide the village/address/area of Pir Gulamalishah's tomb 
Syed Gulamalishah's tomb is located in KERA, KUTCH, Kuthch is also part of Gujarat.
Who was Pir Kassamshah? Do we have any known Ginans by this Pir?
Pir Kassamshah was one of our appointed pir, I think he was appointed after 'PIR PANDIYADE JWAMARDI', he fought with the 'KAZI' in Ahmadabad who accused that Momana Jamat are not 100% Muslims, he prove that Momana jamat (surrounding Sidhpur) were not violating any Shariyat as per principal of Islam and there were 100% true Muslims, he also helped to release 500 Momana families from the prison in Patan, these families were put in prison by the order of SUBA "AURANGJEB" ,he also shifted some Momana families in Kathiawad.
I don't know right now whether he wrote any ginan or not but I will let you know in e-mail.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote:
I didn't wrote above sentence but brother Admin wrote above quote in one of his post and he is absolutely right I agree with him same way the ideas, comments and inputs of all readers also not always right same theroy apply to the authors their believes are not right some time, I am talking about a book name' Conversions and Shifting Identities: Ramdev Pir and the Ismailis in Rajasthan' by Dominique Shila Khan,as per my own ( personal) thinking and understanding she is not right that Ramdev pir was Ismaili or Ismaili pir. We need more research in this matter whether Ramdev was Nizari Ismaili or Ismaili pir.
True we do not have to agree with every post. I was just drawing your attention to the article which gives a different perspective. What the article does is to draw our attention to the latest research about the background of Ramdev Pir and how he was connected to Ismaili Pirs. He gives a reasonable if not compelling evidence in my opinion in this direction.
agakhani wrote: I may be wrong but as per my little knowledge I haven't come in touch with any Ismaili literature in which Ramdev pir name has been mentioned, besides this book 'Conversions and Shifting Identities: Ramdev Pir and the Ismailis in Rajasthan'.
but how can anyone accept this when she is the only one claiming that Ramdev was Ismaili or Ismaili pir? Do we have other literature that prove she is right? nope, I don't think so, let believe for a second that she is right then let me ask you few question here:-
1, Why our Ismaili literature is very quiet about pir Ramdev?
2, Why his name is not mentioned in our pirs list? in our old Dua in which all names of pirs were recited?
3, Why his any books (specially "24 FARMANS") and ginans are not read and recite in our JK?
4, Are there two Nakalanki Avatar?
1, Hazarat Ali (s.a.)
2, Ramdev pir (!!?) as he claimed hisself as 10th incarnation of Lord vishnu which is totally against our Ismaili faith.
5, It is possible that I haven't come in touch with any ismaili literature yet (except above mentioned book by Mrs. Khan ) where Ramdev pir name has been mentioned, so please let me know if other Ismaili literature available.
Your and other readers comments are welcome.
The article that I am referring to never claims that Ramdev Pir was an Ismaili Pir. He came into contact with an Ismaili Pir and became his disciple. It was like Rumi who was the disciple of Shams Tabriz who was an Ismaili. Any person can elevate him/herself to become a Naklanki. This status is not exclusive for our Imams only. Our Imams adopted the title of Naklanki but there is nothing particularly exclusive about this concept. Any mystical/esoteric tradition can have purified souls who can also call themselves naklankis.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote: Pir Kassamshah was one of our appointed pir, I think he was appointed after 'PIR PANDIYADE JWAMARDI', he fought with the 'KAZI' in Ahmadabad who accused that Momana Jamat are not 100% Muslims, he prove that Momana jamat (surrounding Sidhpur) were not violating any Shariyat as per principal of Islam and there were 100% true Muslims, he also helped to release 500 Momana families from the prison in Patan, these families were put in prison by the order of SUBA "AURANGJEB" ,he also shifted some Momana families in Kathiawad.
I don't know right now whether he wrote any ginan or not but I will let you know in e-mail.
There is no Pir by the name of Pir Kassamshah. However we have Pir Qasim Shah as the 32nd Pir. I think you are referring to him.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

The old Gujarati books which has list of all our pirs mentioned his name
as 'pir kassam Shah', you can tell him Qassim Shah or Kassim Shah, it doesn't make big different., but he was our 32th pir and he was appointed as pir by our 40th Imam Nizar (s.a.) and he played big roll to settle down 250 Moman families in Kathiawad and he released some families from the prison which was locked in Ffort of Patan called also 'ANAHILWAD/ ANALWAD that is for sure.

Prince,

There is no ginan available of Pir Kassam Shah, it seems that he may or may not composed any ginan if he composed any then it may be disappeared due to lack of record.
prince_visram

Post by prince_visram »

Here are a few more questions, and thanks everyone so far for bearing with me.. :

- Where is Sultan Muhammad Shah's Palace in Mumabi exactly located? I believe Ghandi's wife passed away in it. If anyone has the exact address, it would be appreciated.

- Are there any books I should pick up that are hard to find elsewhere? I have a few in mind, and I can now read Gujarati (which took a while to learn, and I still am not completely fluent, but I can read it at least! :wink:). So far on my list is 1. Nurum Mubeen 2. Imamo no ithihaas 3. Pyara Imam ni pyari Vaato. Also, if there are any English books which I should look in too.

- Any other religious sites beside Ismaili Sites that are worth visiting? Like Mandirs and Masjids or Churches? I believe in co-existence, and would love to meet/see sites of these different places. I have heard of a Masjid that is in the middle of the water which one has to walk through to reach (or something like that). If anyone knows which Masjid this is, I would love to know.

- Anything else super interesting.

Thanks! :)
agakhani

Scholars please come forward and put list here.

Post by agakhani »

- Where is Sultan Muhammad Shah's Palace in Mumabi exactly located? I believe Ghandi's wife passed away in it.
The name of the palace where Kasturaba died is 'AGAKHAN PALACE' but it is not in Mumbai, it is in 'PUNE' 164 k.m. away from Mumbai, You can go by bus train or taxi.
I have heard of a Masjid that is in the middle of the water which one has to walk through to reach
The name of that Dargah is 'HAJI ALI DARGAH' which is located on an islet off the coast of Worli in Southern part of Mumbai
Are there any books I should pick up that are hard to find elsewhere?
As long as Ismaili literature are concerned there are many books which I can suggest you but I would suggest you only 25 most important books and some are refered by our Imams and waezens please purchase following books if its still available
1, ALLAHNA RASOOLO
2, PIR PANDIYATE JAWAMARDI AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH, URDU AND GUJARATI
3, MASNAVI MOWLANA RUM, reffered to read by Mowlana Sultan Mohammad Shah.
4, NOORAN MUBIN witten by Ali Mohammaed Chunara also refered by MSM ( don't miss this at any cost)
5, KALAME IMAME MUBIN (FARMANS OF MOWLANA SULTAN MOHAMMAD SHAH IT AVAILABLE IN TWO PARTS.
6, ANANT AKHADO GINAN BY PIR HASAN KABAIRDIN
7, THE MEMOIRS OF AGAKHAN ALSO AVAILABLE IN GUJARATI
AGAKHAN NA SANSMARNO"
8, GAVAHRE REHMAT
9, GIRBHAVALI
10, TANDURASTINA RATNO
11, DAS AVATAAR
12, NAKALNKI GITA (you can buy this from Pirana book stall)
13, NAHJUL BALAGAH FARMANS, KHUTBA OF HAZARAT ALI. (must must)
14, PIR PADHARYA AAPNE DWAR 1-2 ( MUST HISTORY OF ALL ISMAILI PIRS)
15, BEHRE REHMAT ( aBU ALI RECMMEDND TO READ THIS IT IS IN VERY EASY GUJARATI )
16, BUJ NIRANJAN
17, BHALWANI BHANDOL ( very good book of miracles of Imams)
18, MASNAVI -E- SHAMSH-TABREZ
19, MARFATNA FOOL (VERY GOOD BOOK FOR RUHANI PROGRESS)
20, MIRAT -E - ASHEKIN
21, MOWLANI MADHUR VATO ( MIRACLES OF OUR IMAMS GOOD BOOK)
22, RUHANI ROSHANI( FARMANS ON RUHAANI BY SMS)
23, SIRATUN NABI ( MUST) English and Urdu
24, IAMAM ALI SHAHNA FARMANO (don't miss this)
25, QURAN TRANSLATION BY M. PICKTHALL (MHI refere to have this)

I have list of another 225 books these all related to all religions it is in Khojaki, English, Urdu, Gujarati, Hindi, Sanskrit, Prakrit and many other Indo languages which are directly or indirectly related to our religion if you interested to have please let me know.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME BOOKS MAY BE OUT OR PRINT AND MAY NOT AVAILABLE IN MUBAI, DON'T FORGET TO BUY OUR OLD GATPAT DUA if this is still available.
It is not necessary that you have to purchase all these books because I recommend you, every one has his own interest some books which I recommend above is possible that it may not as per your own interest, so make wise decision because as a student I think you have limited budget to spend.
There are many interesting books available in English and Urdu language too so look around.
I urge other scholars to put the names of interesting books here so other readers may can take vantage of that.
GOOD LUCK.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

The article that I am referring to never claims that Ramdev Pir was an Ismaili Pir.
K.Bhai,
That is absolutely right, neither he was an Ismaili pir nor he related to Ismaili sect, as per my knowledge, and this is the only reason I have not visited his tomb in Rajasthan, but if Prince want to visit then it is fine with me and it is nothing wrong to visit it.
As you say, it is possible that he may come in contact with one of Ismaili pir, but I can not recall the name of that pir or find his name in any books till today, if you know the name of that pir please let me know by the way he was proclaimed as 'NAKALANKI AVATAR' either by himself or by his followers after his death but this kind proclamation (that he was nakalanki avatar) you can find in many books related to him.
Admin

Post by Admin »

1) One can not become Pir by people calling him Pir, at least not in the Ismaili sense of the word (in the meaning "Pir" as the status of this position when Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah says in his Will that Shah Karim is the Pir of all Ismailis)

One can not become Pir by self appointment

One can not be blamed if he is called Pir while he has never said so and only some mistaken people called him Pir while he is only a devoted Ismaili.

One can also not be blamed for this if people call him "Pir" in the normal definition of the word by respect as many are called "Mowlana" Rumi (not as Mowlana in the "Mowlana" Ali as Imam) or "Pir" Nasir Khusraw (Not as Pir of all Ismailis, but Pir of Badakshan)
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

if there are any English books which I should look in too.
There are not many English books available in India, published by Ismailia Association for India, there are some but not many, so I would suggest you to look IIS catalog, IIS has many interesting books, not all but some are very good books which you can not miss it.
kmaherali

Re: Scholars please come forward and put list here.

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote: The name of the palace where Kasturaba died is 'AGAKHAN PALACE' but it is not in Mumbai, it is in 'PUNE' 164 k.m. away from Mumbai, You can go by bus train or taxi.
Slice of history
AMRUTA BYATNAL

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/ ... 313426.ece
The Aga Khan's Palace. Photo: Special Arrangement
The Hindu The Aga Khan's Palace. Photo: Special Arrangement

The Aga Khan Palace served as a jail for Mahatma Gandhi, Kasturba Gandhi and other freedom fighters during the Quit India movement.

The Aga Khan Palace is one of the many monuments of historical importance in Pune. Built in 1892 by Sultan Mohammed Shah, Aga Khan III, the palace was donated to the government of India in 1969. Away from the buzz of the city, the palace stands on a sprawling ground covering 19 acres in Pune's Yerwada area.

For the villagers

Sultan Mohammed Shah, Aga Khan III was also the 48th spiritual head of the Khoja Ismaili region. Legend goes that the Sultan built the palace to provide employment to the famine – struck villagers of the surrounding region; so he employed 1000 people, and the palace was constructed in five years. It was built in Rs 12 lakhs. The palace covers seven acres, and the rest is a well maintained garden.

Though largely Islamic, the palace has hints of Italian architecture, with its many arches. This building comprises five halls, and large verandahs.

In the years to come, the palace served as a jail for Mahatma Gandhi, Kasturba Gandhi and other freedom fighters in the Quit India movement. This only added to Pune's long standing association with India's independence movement.

In the honor of Mahatma Gandhi and his philosophy, Prince Karim El Husseni, Aga Khan IV, donated the palace to the government of India in 1969.Now the Aga Khan Palace is also known as 'Gandhi National Memorial' because of its close association with Mahatma Gandhi.

On March 3, 2003, the Aga Khan palace was declared a ‘monument of national importance' by the Archaeological Survey of India.

The Gandhi connection

The Aga Khan Palace in Pune occupies a page in the history of the Independence movement in India. The historic session of the All India Congress Committee that passed the Quit India resolution concluded just after midnight of August 8, 1942 at Gowalia Tank Maidan, Mumbai. Soon after, on August 9, Gandhi and several other members of the Congress Working Committee were arrested under Defence of India Rules. Gandhi, along with his wife Kasturba, Secretary Mahadev Desai, Miraben, Pyarelal Nayar, Sarojini Naidu and Dr. Sushila Nayar was brought to the Aga Khan Palace that served as a jail. Gandhi stayed in the Aga Khan Palace until he was released on May 6,1944. It was here that Gandhi's 50-year old secretary Mahadev Desai died of a heart attack six days after their arrest .Gandhi's wife Kasturba died after 18 months of imprisonment on February 22, 1944 because of prolonged illness. The samadhis of both Desai and Kasturba are housed at the Aga Khan Palace, and were built by celebrated architect Charles Correa. On March19, 1943, Sarojini Naidu, was released because of ill health. The earlier version of the Indian national flag was hoisted by Gandhi at the premises on January26, 1943 and 1944. Mahatma Gandhi was released before the end of the Second World War on 6 May 1944 because of his failing health and necessary surgery. Some historians state that the reason he was released was because the British Raj did not want him to die in prison and enrage the nation.After Gandhi's death, a small amount of his ashes were brought to the Aga Khan Palace, and are housed in a tomb in the palace gardens, not far away from Kasturba's Samadhi. The rooms where Gandhi and the others were lodged in now serve as a museum, as a testimony to the struggle of India's independence. Gandhi's belongings dated to the period of his stay are on exhibition too. The Palace is now known as the Gandhi National Memorial too, in honour of Gandhi's association.

Keywords: Aga Khan Palace
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Many interesting places worth visiting in India are mentioned here. There are many sacred and historical sites related to Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Jains, Parsis, Christian history and civilization in India.

From Ismaili history's perspective, different members have already shared different interesting places to visit.
One of the interesting place to visit is Darkhana Jamat Khana in Mumbai. It has very large building. In earlier times, a large number of Ismailis used to gather there but now comparatively lesser number of Jamat go there as many Ismailis have shifted to other places. One unique thing, which you will find in this Jamat Khana, which is probably not in any other Jamat Khana of the word is the Minbar of Hazrat Abaas. This place is in the compound of Jamat Khana, in the ground floor. The place is considered as sacred and holy by Twelver Shia Muslim. Many Non Ismaili Shia Muslim come there for manat and asking prayers. The people narrate that the ismaili institute leaders has asked Imam Sultan Mohamed Shah to allow them to remove the Minbar from this place but Imam Sultan Mohamed Shah stopped them from removing it.
There is a photo of Hazrat Ali there. The non ismailis who visit this place, ask prayers and many of them do manat there. If their wish is fulfilled then there is a small place, which they fill it with the milk. Later that milk is distributed.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Thanks Star_Munir very interesting information next time I will in Mumbai I will visit Darkhana to see the Mimbar of Hazarat Abbas, but who was Hazarat Abbas? did he belongs to Ismaili sect or Ishnashari sect? I think Ishanashris may not allowed to participate for prayers in Darkhana JK.
By the way I haven't seen your posts for a long time ! any reason? just asking you because I like your post but all of sudden you just stop to participate in forum section, any particular reason?
Please e-mail me if you can, you can find my e-mail address in my profile section or you can give me your e-mail I need to discuss few things. I hope you will not mind for that.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

He came into contact with an Ismaili Pir and became his disciple. It was like Rumi who was the disciple of Shams Tabriz who was an Ismaili.
Kbhai,

The name of that Ismaili pir was Pir Shams who came in contact with Pir Ramdev of Rajasthan, you can find this from a book of Yoginder Sikand (born 1967) is an Indian writer-academic and the author of several books on Islam-related issues in India.
Following quotation is taken from one of his article:-
"Among the pioneers of the Nizari faith in Gujarat were Pir Shams, also known as Shamas Rishi, Hasan Kabiruddin or Anant Jo Dhano ,and Rama Pir, a disciple of Pir Shams who still commands a following of several million Dalits in Rajasthan and Gujarat, who is also known as Ram Dev'.
However Devayat Pandit was also disciple of Pir Sadardin and he composed many ginans and his some ginan are still reciting in JK like 'Feerat Neza Trambal Vajshe' but not a single ginan of pir Ramdev are find in our ginanic literature.
What a pity for Ismaili literature? that we don't have our own records that we have to find out from outer sources.
Admin

Post by Admin »

agakhani wrote:Thanks Star_Munir very interesting information next time I will in Mumbai I will visit Darkhana to see the Mimbar of Hazarat Abbas, but who was Hazarat Abbas? .
I have not researched this subject but in December 1988 whcile passing from Mumbay, on a trip to search for Khojki manuscripts, I asked the question of why there were so many people who were coming to visit Darkhana and why what looked like an object of veneration was at the ground floor of Darkhana in Mumbai. I was told by several people that a request was made to our Imam to remove this but Imam said let them come here, one day they wil understand and come up to to our Jamatkhana (accepting Ismailism)
Last edited by Admin on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Admin wrote: I was told by several people that a request was made to our Imam to remove this but Imam said let them come here, one day they will understand and come up to to our Jamatkhana (accepting Ismailism)
Yes, I have also heard the same from many people there.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

agakhani wrote:Thanks Star_Munir very interesting information next time I will in Mumbai I will visit Darkhana to see the Mimbar of Hazarat Abbas, but who was Hazarat Abbas? did he belongs to Ismaili sect or Ishnashari sect? I think Ishanashris may not allowed to participate for prayers in Darkhana JK.
You are welcome :) I have sent you email. Hazrat Abbas is respected a lot particularly by Shia Muslims. He way loyal to Imam and Ahle Bayat and had played significant role in the battle of Karbala and other battles.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Thanks for the information about Hazarat Abbas.
By the way I have not received your e-mail,I will appreciate if you kindly check the correct spelling and underscore again in my e-mail and please resend it.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I have resend it. Hope this time you will get it.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Poona: Aga Khan Palace

http://indianpostmarks.blogspot.com/201 ... -wada.html
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

There is a tomb in Ayodhya, which people believe as tomb of Seth (Hazrat Shish)
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Gandhi Peace Museum at Aga Khan Palace in Pune, India By Dr. Delia Maria Knaebel, Convenor, Friends of the Gandhi Museum Pune, India

Gandhi Peace Museum at Aga Khan Palace in Pune
Aga Khan Palace Pune India, Photo Flickr/CC

The Aga Khan Palace in Pune, India, was built by Sultan Mohammed Shah Aga Khan III in 1892. It is said that it was built to provide employment for the people of nearby areas who were hit by a devastating famine. Its claim to fame, apart from its magnificence and beautiful gardens, is its association with Mahatma Gandhi who was imprisoned here from 9th August 1942 to 6th May 1944 during the nation’s struggle against British rule. In 1969 the Aga Khan IV, Prince Karim Shah, donated the palace to independent India. Having played a role in India’s freedom movement, the palace was declared a national monument. During the launch of his Quit India Movement in 1942, Gandhi, along with his wife Kasturba, his secretary Mahadev Desai, freedom fighters Sarojini Naidu, Mira Ben, Dr. Gilder and Dr. Sushila Nayar were all interned in the palace. During this time, both his wife and spiritual companion Kasturba as well as his close associate Mahadev Desai passed away, personal tragedies which resulted in his attachment to the building. Aga Khan Palace During his detention, Gandhi developed his strategies to wage his final struggle for freedom from foreign rule. Today, the Gandhi museum inside the palace showcases this history. Each of four rooms is dedicated to various individuals, including Naidu, Desai, and Gandhi. The hall dedicated to him contains, e.g., his writing desk and spinning wheel, as well as a painting of his wife, resting her head on Gandhi’s lap. A fifth room is an auditorium equipped with facilities for visitors who can see short documentary films. There is also the Sarojini Naidu library with over one thousand books and journals on Gandhian philosophy and practice. Gandhi Memorial, containing his ashes 6 In the courtyard is Gandhi’s Samadhi (Memorial) with his ashes. The Samadhis of his wife, and Mahadev Desai are also here. The palace is also the seat of the Gandhi National Memorial Society; every 30th January (Gandhi’s death) and 2nd October (his birthday) people flock here for social programmes and interfaith prayers. In the 1980s, when Sir Richard Attenborough made his Oscar-winning film on Gandhi, he spent ten days filming at the palace.

International Network of Museums of Peace Newsletter December 2017

https://www.inmp.net/wp-content/uploads ... No.-21.pdf
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Agakhan Palace Foundation, Gandhiji’s prison and now an Oasis in Pune

Asia, Destinations, India, Maharashtra

Agakhan Palace was made famous and is now a pilgrimage site because Mahatma Gandhi and his close associates were imprisoned here from August 10th 1942 to May 6th 1944.

More...
https://storyateverycorner.com/agakhan-palace-pune/
FreeLancer

Post by FreeLancer »

star_munir wrote:Many interesting places worth visiting in India are mentioned here. There are many sacred and historical sites related to Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Jains, Parsis, Christian history and civilization in India.

From Ismaili history's perspective, different members have already shared different interesting places to visit.
One of the interesting place to visit is Darkhana Jamat Khana in Mumbai. It has very large building. In earlier times, a large number of Ismailis used to gather there but now comparatively lesser number of Jamat go there as many Ismailis have shifted to other places. One unique thing, which you will find in this Jamat Khana, which is probably not in any other Jamat Khana of the word is the Minbar of Hazrat Abaas. This place is in the compound of Jamat Khana, in the ground floor. The place is considered as sacred and holy by Twelver Shia Muslim. Many Non Ismaili Shia Muslim come there for manat and asking prayers. The people narrate that the ismaili institute leaders has asked Imam Sultan Mohamed Shah to allow them to remove the Minbar from this place but Imam Sultan Mohamed Shah stopped them from removing it.
There is a photo of Hazrat Ali there. The non ismailis who visit this place, ask prayers and many of them do manat there. If their wish is fulfilled then there is a small place, which they fill it with the milk. Later that milk is distributed.
Years back at Maghreb time when I visited Darkhana Jamait Khana in Mumbai, I witnessed by entering the main gate few people including a lady and child sitting there surrounded by photos of Karbela, a small Taziya and some other things. I was astonished and asked a passer by Ismaili, why these people are here and with whom's permission? I was told it was a PROPERTY DISPUTE among Ismaili khojas and Isna'ishiri khojas from the time when they split. I was told according to court judgement that small portion was allocate to them. Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah graciously allowed them to stay there. I heard still they are around there.