Did you know that Jinnah took Agakhan Scholarship?

In this Forum you put small info of a couple of line, some info that is though provoking, like the Did You Know on the front page...
agakhani

Did you know that Jinnah took Agakhan Scholarship?

Post by agakhani »

Did you know that Qaide-E-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah took Agakhan Scholarship in 1893 at age of 17 years to go Landon for his barrister degree?
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thats interesting. Can you plz tell me the source of this information?
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

There are many sources for that if you know Gujarati ( I know you do) then here is one instant source for you!, please click the link below:-

http://www.gujaratsamachar.com/beta/con ... 44383/358/

There are few other books too in which you can find this fact about the scholarship, please look books written by non-Pakistani authors, (Pakistani authors hide many true facts about Zinnah they may have hided this fact too, so look for non -Paki authors) right now I have only one book in my mind.
1. Pratinayak: written by Dinkar Joshi.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thanks for the link. The article is interesting. However, there are few things in it with which I disagree.
It talks about the death of Jinnah's wife Ruttie. I dont think Ismailis were that much narrow minded that they refused to give burial in Ismaili graveyard and twelver shia openly allowed him to do so.
Ruttie was Parsi initially but later on had accepted Islam before her marriage and her marriage ceremony took place as per Muslim customs.
Jinnah had left Ismaili faith long before his second marriage. It was probably when he came back from London to India at that time he became twelver shia. Stanley Wolpert has written that "Jinnah was enrolled as a barrister in Bombay's high court in 1896...He accepted Isna Ashari sect of twelver khojas. One of Jinnah's admired friends, Justice Badruddin Tyabji, first Muslim high court judge was also an Isna Ashari."
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

it talks about the death of Jinnah's wife Ruttie. I dont think Ismailis were that much narrow minded that they refused to give burial in Ismaili graveyard and twelver shia openly allowed him to do so.
Absolutely right , I was also shocked when I read it first but as like many other books and articles on Jinnah the above articles also has many mistakes.
In addition, I heard that there was no seperate graveyard for Ismailis in middle of last century therefore Khojas used to share Khoja Ishnashari graveyard ( actually they separated from Khojas and adopted Ishanashri sect), so it might possible that she is buried in Ishnashri graveyard! who knows?
Regarding Jinnah, was he Ismaili or not?
Mohartma Fatima Jinnah's one book published in 1987 name 'MY BROTHER'
in this book she writes that her brother was remained on Ismaili sect till his death, but he was not practice on Ismailism while other Muslim scholars believe that Jinnah was converted Ishnashari, I think this controversial issue will remain unsolved.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Are you sure Fatima Jinnah has mentioned this that he remained Ismaili throughout his life?
I know that she has written that he had taken birth in Ismaili khoja family and this is what historians also accept. His first wife was also Ismaili girl.

Here is extract of what she has written about him "but my mother insisted
that the two take Mohammad Ali to the durgah of Hassan Pir in Ganod, ten miles from our village, Paneli, for the agiga ceremony. As a child, my mother had heard miraculous tales concerning devotees that believed in the supernatural powers of this Pir, who was buried at that durgah. Her
mother's intuition made her believe that a great future awaited her Mohammad Ali and she wanted to take him to Hassan Pir's durgah, where iri the traditional manner of those days his head would be shaved ceremoniously and the mother would make a wish, invoking the blessings of the saintly Pir for its fulfilment. At first my father tried to get himself excused, saying he could ill-afford to be away from Karachi for over a month, but his, obduracy melted in the warmth of his young wife's
pleadings. And so, with their baby boy, a few months old, the father and mother booked seats by a sail-boat that would carry them from Karachi to Verawal, a port in Kathiawar, braving the rain and winds that might be encountered on the voyage.ready to have his head shaved at the durgah of Hassan Pir, in fulfilment of the vow made by my mother. The facts about the life of Hassan Pir are so intricately mixed-up with legend that it is not possible to extricate the one from the other. However, it is stablished that the Pir came from Iran as an Ismaili missionary, through the overland route from Baluchistan and for a while lived in Multan. His saintly and exemplary life won him an admiring following, and many non Muslims accepted Islam at his hands. The wandering missionary then trekked into Sind, continuing his missionary work, crossed into Cutch, and finally came to a place near Paneli, where he pitched his tent and devoted all his time propagating [preaching] Islam among the non-Muslims of that area.Legend has it that he had supernatural powers; many are the stories that are attributed to him, and this is the usual image that is woven round such figures, whose authentic life and work
cannot be vouchsafed on historical and documentary evidence.
Hassan Pir is said to have followed in the foot-steps of those Muslim sufis, who devote their days to the teaching of the Quran and the message of Islam and their nights on the mystic shores of meditation. It was his practice to sleep early, to wake up around two in the morning and to sit in meditation outside his tent on the bank of Bhadhar River, until he had said his morning prayers. One night as he sat lost in communion with the Unknown, a huge tidal wave lashed the banks of the river, penetrating far beyond the precarious embarkments. The sudden onrush of the river
waters dragged Hassan Pir, who was lost in meditation, into mid-river, and death by drowning ended his earthly life. His corpse floated leisurely under the cover of darkness from Paneli to the banks of the river near a village called Ganod, where majority of the people were non-Muslims of
the Rabari caste, their ancestral occupation beingbreeding of cows.
As some of the Rabaris came early morning on the banks of Bhadhar River, they found the dead body of Hassan Pir that had been washed on to the shores by the receding waters of the river. They at once recognised the saintly person, whose reputation had spread beyond the geographical boundaries of Paneli village. A conference of their elders, seeing that chance had gifted the dead body of the saint to them, decided to accord him a solemn and befitting burial and to build a mausoleum over it, believing that his durgah would bring prosperity to their village.
And so it was that Hassan Pir came to be buried in Ganod. Lapse of many years has not dampened the devotional enthusiasm of the people of Gondal State and even to this day every year there is an Urs (anniversary celebrations) of the saint at his durgah where both Hindu and Muslim devotees gather.
[/b]
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Are you sure Fatima Jinnah has mentioned this that he remained Ismaili throughout his life?
Munir,
I haven't read that book yet, so I am not pretty sure until I read it , but yesterday I found that this book available on digital format,
so I have plan to read it but I don't know when (not soon) since I am little busy now a days, seems that you have this book but below is the link for other readers:-
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6040278/My-Br ... todown=pdf

The story written by Fatima about Hasan Pir is very interesting;
was he Ismaili pir, Syed, Sadat or dai? did he have any Ismaili connection?
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thanks for the link. Fatima Jinnah has mentioned Hassan Pir as Ismaili missionary who had spread Ismailism. I am not sure whether she is referring to Pir Hassan Kabirdin or some other Ismaili dai with the name of Pir Hassan.
@ btw I have received ur email and will reply soon on it