What does "Godhani" word meaning

Discussion on R&R from all regions
M.Ghulamali

What does "Godhani" word meaning

Post by M.Ghulamali »

Does anybody explain me what does "Godhani" word means - usually we say "Godhani jee dua" kept/arrange for ruhani by their family members/relative. I am looking for exact word meaning - conceptionaly I am clear about it.<BR><BR>Mohsin
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Godhani jee dua???!!
Can you elaborated little more, I don't think there is any dua name "Godhani jee dua!" it is possible that it called by different name.
If you tell me in which majlis or when this du'a is being performed? then may be I can help you to find out the true meaning but right now I can tell that "Godhani" is a surname in Patels.
M.Ghulamali

Post by M.Ghulamali »

<P>"Godhani" jee dua is arranged o&shy;n the second day&nbsp;after any ismaili is burried in night timing and if it is day time then o&shy;n same day it is arranged. I am talking about practices in Pakistan.<BR><BR>Mohsin</P>
M.Ghulamali

Post by M.Ghulamali »

I have received clarification from Mumtaz Sir. I have extracted same as below for the information for those who may be interested in knowing meaning of word "Godhanni". Thanks Mumtaz Sir.

Dear Mohsin,

Pir Sadruddin lauched Ismaili mission in India before six hundred years. The Lohana and Bhatia caste of Hindu embraced Ismailism. When they were Hindu, they burn the dead bodies and when they became Ismaili Muslims, they needed to bury. They feared that if they would bury, the insect called in Hindi "god" will devour the brain of the dead body by entering through the nose. Pir Sadruddin technically and cleverly solved the issue and advised them to bury the body and offer Ziyarat in the jamatkhana, and on that or next day bring those items which were the choicest items of the dead person, and by this process the insect called "god" will remain away from the dead body or it will be finished, means it will be perished ("ha'nn"). On that occasion necessary ceremony was performed in the jamatkhana. Such type of religious formality or ceremony became known as "god ha'nni" (finishing the insect in the grave). When the new converts and their generation became strong, they knew that there was no any such insect in the grave,
but it was mere a rumour, but the ceremony continued till now in the same name. Time changed and the original word corrupted. Normally, we now call it Godhanni.

Regards, Mumtaz Ali
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Mohsin,
Thanks for sharing the true reason behind 'Godhani jee dua', but to be honest with you I didn't heard about this dua till you mentioned it here first time in January, by the way in Momin ( Momna ) community where I come from, they don't have 'Godhani Jee Du'a' in practice, not it was before not it is now.
I should salute Mumtaz Sir for digging out the true reason behind it, I tried my best to find out the true reason behind this du'a but I was not succeeded, indeed it is good to know.
By the way coming from India I know there were/are many Hindu rituals which makes us laugh now a days but slowly, slowly these rituals are disappearing from our Jamats that is good news.
Last edited by agakhani on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

Brother ghulamali

Of what use can the brain be when the person is already dead ??....Next time your so called sir says some stupid **** like this, EK ULTE HAATH KA DENE KA....Brother Ghulamali....When the body is cremated, within hours, the insects, the parasites and all the living beings that live under... devour on this feast.

There is this incident that was all over the news some years ago....
There was this young Arab boy who died in one of the hospitals in Oman. The boy died in hospital and was buried under the Islamic law on the same day after obligatory ablution of the body. However after funeral the father doubted the diagnosis of doctors and wanted to identify the true reason of his death. The corpse of the boy had been dug out from the grave within 3 hours after his funeral as his father insisted to know the truth.

Relatives and his friends were shocked when they saw the corpse. He was completely different within 3 hours. He turned grey as if he was a very old man, with traces of obvious tortures and the most severe beating, with the broken bones of hands and legs, with the edges broken and pressed into a body.

All of his body and face were full of bruise. The open eyes-showed hopeless fear and pain. The blood obviously indicated that the boy has been subjected to the most severe torture.

Heres the picture [18+ only please] :

http://jandians.13.forumer.com/a/maut-k ... t3399.html

So next time when your sir says this dua is to protect the brain please show him the link @ above and inform him that everybody has to go through what we call "QABAR KA AZAB"
M.Ghulamali

Post by M.Ghulamali »

Dear brother Shiraz,

I fully agree with your message but I believe you didn't got the fact excactly. It was fear of the people to whom Pir was converting to Ismaili Muslim...

[They feared that if they would bury, the insect called in Hindi "god" will devour the brain of the dead body by entering through the nose. Pir Sadruddin technically and cleverly solved the issue and advised them to bury the body and offer Ziyarat in the jamatkhana,]

You would agree that at that time conceptionally those converted people must be not strong enough to cease the practices which they were doing since many many years.

[When the new converts and their generation became strong, they knew that there was no any such insect in the grave,
but it was mere a rumour, but the ceremony continued till now in the same name.]

Now the people like you and we became conceptionally strong and would like to get exact interpretation of our tariqas and ceremonies.

Rgds
Mohsin[/quote]
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Dear Mohsin,
Thanks for sharing the information. I dont think people of that time or new converts were conceptually not strong. Infact I think, in many ways they were more conceptually stronger than us. Usually, the new converts are more enthusiastic about learning the faith and practices.
Similarly, as for insect, it was not rumor. If it was just rumor, then it would be foolishness to continue the tradition for so long. But as mentioned by Shiraz Virani, dead body is attacked by several insects and other creatures. Some people may call it "Azab", some may think it as "natural process" Now someone might think, that after someone is dead what will be the matter if insects eat the body. Will the dead person who has no life can feel the pain? Well I dont need to answer it but definitely any person will not wish that snakes, insects etc bite the dead body of their beloved one. So the people had requested.
The dua as you mentioned will protect the dead. Pir Sadardin was in time of Imam Islam Shah..from that time till present time of Imam Shah Karim, if it has continued then it means that it holds significance. Pir Sadardin was not there to cheat people by speaking lie. He would not have introduce any useless ceremony just to satisfy people. If he introduced some thing than at least for faithful momins it has importance...whether anyone accept it or not.
M.Ghulamali

Post by M.Ghulamali »

Thanks Shiraz for improving my response. I do respect and follow all of our ceremonies and it does carry hidden significance which one can explore and get right interpretation as an when his/her intellect grows.

You rightly said that Dua is the source through which we pray for the eternal peace of our beloved one who has passed away. And what I understood from the fact mentioned by Mumtaz Sir that Pir Sadardin at that time address both matter: fear in the mind of converted Ismaili Muslim as well as bringing them on right path/way of praying for their deceased beloved one.
M.Ghulamali

Post by M.Ghulamali »

Opps! Sorry Munir, by mistake I have written your name as Shiraz.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Its okay. One more interesting fact, I would like to share with you. It is also quoted by Mumtaz Tajdin in his work "Jerruk and the Ismailis". You may know ismailis were martyred in Jerruk.

As per article When Ismailis were martyred, Imam had said "These heroes are like the martyrs of Karbala and their memory shall ever remain green, even their flesh shall never decay."

It is mentioned in article "According to the report of "Sind Observer" (Karachi, April 3, 1949), "Seventy dead bodies of Khojas buried 107 years ago at Imam Bara in Jherruck town, 94 miles by road north-east of Karachi, were found to be fresh on being exhumed recently in the course of digging the foundation for a new mosque for the locality, a Sind government official disclosed on Saturday. The bodies which lay in a common grave was again interred another site selected for the mosque. The Khojas were believed to have been murdered in a local feud 107 years ago according to local tradition in Jherruck."

Dead bodies complete fresh even after 107 years is a point which is worth reflecting. I know what is more significant is the soul, but you can see how God has protected even dead bodies of Ismaili martyred.

Given below is the link, if any one wish to read the complete article:
http://www.ismaili.net/Source/jerruk/1.html
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Dead bodies complete fresh even after 107 years is a point which is worth reflecting.
I also heard same story in one waez of Rai Abu Ali, he mentioned that he traveled from Karachi to Jeruk and he had seen those bodies which were fresh without any decay even after 107 years. This news was "talk of town" that time in Karachi.

&#1705;&#1729;&#1578;&#1746; &#1729;&#1746; &#1705;&#1740; &#1588;&#1575;&#1729;&#1583;&#1608; &#1705;&#1746; &#1580;&#1587;&#1605;&#1575; &#1705;&#1608; &#1705;&#1583; &#1606;&#1729;&#1740;&#1722; &#1705;&#1726;&#1575;&#1578;&#1746;!
Last edited by agakhani on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin

Post by Admin »

I went to Jeruk in 1981

Though I did not see the bodies, I was told the story and shown a press clip mentioning this bodies that were found as new. the article was quite detailed.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Not long ago, In Hasanabad (Mumbai) there was practice to show face of Hasan Ali shah (s.a.) when jamat visit his tomb in Hasananad many visitors had seen his holy face, the face was seen fresh and without any decay even after many years.
I think this "face seeing" has stopped now a days but it was shown until the year around 1950 or very close.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

agakhani wrote:Not long ago, In Hasanabad (Mumbai) there was practice to show face of Hasan Ali shah (s.a.) when jamat visit his tomb in Hasananad many visitors had seen his holy face, the face was seen fresh and without any decay even after many years.
I think this "face seeing" has stopped now a days but it was shown until the year around 1950 or very close.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing A.Bhai. I never heard of that before.