Which companion of prophet lived 250 years?

In this Forum you put small info of a couple of line, some info that is though provoking, like the Did You Know on the front page...
agakhani

Which companion of prophet lived 250 years?

Post by agakhani »

Did you know that Salmaan Al-Faarisee a Companion (Suhabi)of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was reported to have lived 250 years?
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

Any proof? or just speculation.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

There are many proofs, matter of facts these proof you can also find in Sunny sources too. FYI Salman Farsi not lived 250 years but now let me give you exact figure he lived 253 years.
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

agakhani wrote:There are many proofs, matter of facts these proof you can also find in Sunny sources too. FYI Salman Farsi not lived 250 years but now let me give you exact figure he lived 253 years.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salman the Persian was born either in the city of Kazerun in Fars Province, or Isfahan in Isfahan Province, Iran.
His birthday is not known.
Death
When exactly Salman died is unknown, however it is probably during Uthman's reign or the second year of Imam Ali's reign.
One source says he died in 32 AH/654 AD[5], while another source says he died during Uthman's era in 35 hijri/657 AD, which is wrong as Uthman died a year earlier, so if their claim that Salman died in 35 hijri/657 AD is correct then it must have been during Imam Ali's reign
Brother
One should post accurate and credible information. Anybody living for 253 years is unbelievable especially in first century.
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

I personally do not trust wikipedia, Yes there is a controvery in Salamn's actual age and it is hard to belive that he lived 250 yearsbut do you know that Prophet Noah (P.B.U.H) lived more than 900 years? and there are still many Hindus yogis in Himalaya who are believed to 200-300 years old?
Any way I referred you to try to find in books not in wikipedia, please visit following websites.

Code: Select all

This was Salman Farsi  , the Persian who’s quest for the true faith lasted almost all of his 250 years of life. As Muslims and as students, it should be our point of aspiration to achieve at least some of the dedication of Salman Farsi  to faith and the gaining of knowledge.  
http://www.inter-islam.org/Biographies/SalmanfarsiR.htm

Code: Select all

Imaam Ibn Abdul Barr (RA) states that Sayyiduna Salmaan al-Faarsiy took part 
in the battle of Badr. It is also established that he accepted Islam in 
Madinah and not in Makkah. Since the battle of Badr occurred in the second 
year after Hijrah, the age of Sayyiduna Salman when he accepted Islam can be 
estimated to have been approximately 214 - 218 years according to those who 
say he lived for 350 years
http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask ... 7&act=view
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

Yes it is unbelievable but not impossible

Trailanga Swami reportedly lived in Kashi since 1737; the journal Prabuddha Bharata puts his birth around 1607 and his age 279 (almost 280), upon his death in 1887 on 26 December. His birth is also given as 1529 (age 357/358)

Shivapuri Baba, also known as Swami Govindanath Bharati, was a Hindu saint who purportedly lived from 1826 to 1963, making him allegedly 137 years old at the time of his death. He had 18 audiences with Queen Victoria.

Abdul Azziz al-Hafeed al-Habashi lived 581–1276 of the Hijra (11 June 1185 – 19 September 1859, 674 years, 100 days, i.e... 673/674 Gregorian years or 694/695 Islamic years, according to 19th-century scholars.

LP Suwang a holy Buddhist who entered Thailand in the 1920's was supposedly capable of miracles, and no one knew his exact age, not even his closest disciples. He died in 1995, at a claimed 200 years old, but rumored to be over 500 years old. The newest version claimed his birth to year 1551, so it makes him to be 444 years old. The subject of his age remains a mystery.

So many people with many different stories...Only allah[swt] knows what is true and what isnt !!
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

shiraz.virani wrote:Yes it is unbelievable but not impossible

Trailanga Swami reportedly lived in Kashi since 1737; the journal Prabuddha Bharata puts his birth around 1607 and his age 279 (almost 280), upon his death in 1887 on 26 December. His birth is also given as 1529 (age 357/358)

Shivapuri Baba, also known as Swami Govindanath Bharati, was a Hindu saint who purportedly lived from 1826 to 1963, making him allegedly 137 years old at the time of his death. He had 18 audiences with Queen Victoria.

Abdul Azziz al-Hafeed al-Habashi lived 581–1276 of the Hijra (11 June 1185 – 19 September 1859, 674 years, 100 days, i.e... 673/674 Gregorian years or 694/695 Islamic years, according to 19th-century scholars.

LP Suwang a holy Buddhist who entered Thailand in the 1920's was supposedly capable of miracles, and no one knew his exact age, not even his closest disciples. He died in 1995, at a claimed 200 years old, but rumored to be over 500 years old. The newest version claimed his birth to year 1551, so it makes him to be 444 years old. The subject of his age remains a mystery.

So many people with many different stories...Only allah[swt] knows what is true and what isnt !!

kmaherali can probably give more accurate information in regards to this - but a number of different sources talk about Mahavir Babaji (A Search in Secret India, Hermit in the Himalayas, Autobiography of a Yogi, Swami) - whose date of birth is somewhere in 203 CE - and he was a young man in the late 1800s early 1900s when the authors of the books encountered him.
Remember - physical appearance is just manipulation of molecules and atoms, matter is an illusion - with enough spiritual attainment - one might be able to manipulate their appearance as well as how much of their assigned life force one uses. We are all apportioned life spans (i.e. stores of energy to use) to live our lives..some can do a lot more with little energy..some maybe able to slow their heartbeats down...

Shams
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

ShamsB wrote: kmaherali can probably give more accurate information in regards to this - but a number of different sources talk about Mahavir Babaji (A Search in Secret India, Hermit in the Himalayas, Autobiography of a Yogi, Swami) - whose date of birth is somewhere in 203 CE - and he was a young man in the late 1800s early 1900s when the authors of the books encountered him.
Remember - physical appearance is just manipulation of molecules and atoms, matter is an illusion - with enough spiritual attainment - one might be able to manipulate their appearance as well as how much of their assigned life force one uses. We are all apportioned life spans (i.e. stores of energy to use) to live our lives..some can do a lot more with little energy..some maybe able to slow their heartbeats down...

Shams
There is an interesting and accurate account of Babaji at:

http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap33.php
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

I read many books on Tailang Swami, Lahiri Baba, Parahari Baba, Udiaya Baba, Mauni babas, kali Kamliwala baba, Nim Karoli Baba and many other known and unknwon Babas, I also read " A search of secret India, Hermits in Himalayas" written by Paul Burton I also read "Autobiography of a Yogi" BY SWAMI YOGANAND and many other books which are written by many authors of course these books are very interesting but one thing I found very common in all these books and that is, they always meditates and goes in samadhi (last stage of mediation) which is very similar to our bandagi/Ibadat, so why we Ismaili as a gifted sect by Mowla do not practice on our own "bol" , the bol given to us is a "manta" "it is a "Jap" which is similar to mantra, japs yogis are reciting? if you practice in your "bol" regularly and on the time (4-5 a.m.), then you will sure reach the last destination of samadhi, same like other Yogis, Rishis, Sadhus has reached so far! so why wait!? start it today, what you need to is just start practicing and I am pretty sure that you will reach your destination which are same destination of yogis and sadhus, Inshallah.

For those readers who have interest on yogis, Rishis, Monks, Lamas, Sadhus, Avdhuts , Fakirs, and Munis and they wants to know more about how they live 200-300 years? , what they eat?, how many times they eat? then I will suggest them to read following books:-
1, Sufis, yogis and mystic person of India ; Eng
2, The invisible influence; a story of the mystic Orient with great truths which can never die. Eng.
3, Magic and mystery in Tibet. Eng.
4, Himālaya darśana : Bābā Kālī Kamalīvālā śatavārshikī grantha (Hindi)
5, Aghor Guru Kinaram (HIndi)
6, A journey within the self : a diary of yogic experiences, very good; Eng.
7, Lahiri Mahashay : Eng.
8, Himalaya ka Yogi (English & also in Hindi)
9, Prakash na Panthe (Guj) very good book
10, Biography of Ramakrishna, 1836-1886,
11, Autobiography of a Yogi BY SWAMI YOGANAND; very good Eng and other 14 different languages
12, Himgirima Yogi (Guj)
13, Auliyā-yi Multān (Urdu)
14, Auliyā'e Sindh ( Urdu)
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

In one of the waez, Abu Aly missionary had mentioned about the long time of Salman Farsi. He had told anecdote where Salman Farsi was coming to Medina and on the way in forest met Hazrat Ali. Do any one remember that story?
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Do any one remember that story?
Yes, Munir I remember that story, when Salman Farsi was passing in forest
a lion/tiger came in front of him and a small child ( Hazarat Ali s.a.) appeared all of sudden and he ordered lion to go away and lion went away, Salman Farsi thanked that child in return of his this life saving he gave to that child a bouquet of wild flowers because he had nothing to give at that time.

After many years Hazarat Ali (s.a.) showed him the same flowers. It is a good story but I can't find it any where in our literature.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Thanks for sharing this...yeah I remember this was that story which Abu Aly missionary had told in one of his waezes.
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

agakhani wrote:
Do any one remember that story?
Yes, Munir I remember that story, when Salman Farsi was passing in forest
a lion/tiger came in front of him and a small child ( Hazarat Ali s.a.) appeared all of sudden and he ordered lion to go away and lion went away, Salman Farsi thanked that child in return of his this life saving he gave to that child a bouquet of wild flowers because he had nothing to give at that time.

After many years Hazarat Ali (s.a.) showed him the same flowers. It is a good story but I can't find it any where in our literature.
Mullas, Maulvis, Waizeens and Kathakar mix facts, stories, Fables, rhetoric and religious texts to make points to increase faith. Intelligent people concentrate on message rather than stories.

I tend to belive that Hz Farsi did not live to be 253
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

I tend to belive that Hz Farsi did not live to be 253
Forget about Salman Farsi, Do you believe that Hazarat Noah lived 950?
if you say no then you are saying Quran and Genesis are wrong: (Astagafirulla) becasue there are 28 chapters about Noah in which some ayahs revels about his age:-
"Noah died 350 years after the Flood, at the age of 950: Genesis 9:28:29"

In Qur'an Allah say "Noah lived 50 years shorter in thousand year". The Qur'an contains 43 references to Noah in 28 suras (chapters),
notably Sura are Nuh and Sura Hud.
zznoor

Post by zznoor »

Forget about Salman Farsi
Let us stay focused on Salman Farsi
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

He lived 253 ( Two hundred fifty three years) chalo man lo ki I am wrong but you can not denied those peoples and scholars who has wrote that he lived 250, they can not be wrong! may be I am not 100% right, no argue here but I will still back what I wrote above that he lived more than 250 years. to believe it or not to believe it is totally up to you Noor, no urgue but bring unprovoked and hard to believe story in this thread is my job.