Ginans: Texts and Contexts

Books on Ismailism, reviews etc..
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Tazim R. Kassam and Francoise Mallison
Publisher: Primus Books

The Satpanth Ismaili Muslims of South Asia have a beautiful tradition of religious poetry called Ginans which they have sung for many centuries in daily rituals. This small Shi'a community has spread from India to other continents, but it has held fast to the practice of singing Ginans. Composed in Indian languages and idiom, the Ginans illustrate how Muslims were influenced by the surrounding cultures and philosophies, and created new ways of expressing their beliefs and values. Although this living tradition of religious songs is central to Ismaili practice, only a handful of studies have dealt with the subject. This collection of essays on the Ginans by academic scholars and community enthusiasts is written in honour of Zawahir Moir, one of the earliest scholars of the Ginans. She has dedicated her life to their study and spent many years preparing a catalogue of Ginan manuscripts housed at the Institute of Ismaili Studies, London.

About Tazim R. Kassam
Professor Tazim R. Kassam is a historian specializing in religions particularly Islamic cultures. She chairs the Department of Religion at Syracuse University and is Director of its Muslim Cultures programme in London. Her book Songs of Wisdom and Circles of Dance offers the most extensive translation of Ginans of Pir Shams.

http://www.midpointtrade.com/book_detai ... k_id=46651
agakhani

Post by agakhani »

Her book Songs of Wisdom and Circles of Dance offers the most extensive translation of Ginans of Pir Shams.
I just started to read her above books this week, honestly I do not like this book at all, I don't agree with interpretation and meaning she made in this books of many words. I was totally disappointed and shocked I left the book unread. It may be good for the readers who do not know the Gujarati and Ruhani or allegary meaning of the words but for other this book will disapoint them.
She interreted the word "Chinab" as Chinab River but the true meaning is China, She makes meaning of Surja Rani as a real queen and Kamla Kunvar as her son name but she doesn't know that this is a just allagary and Surja Rani means Jamat ,it shows that she don't have vast knowledge of our ginan and its meaning b but toreceive easy PHD degree lots of scholars picks Ismaili ginans, they knows that their examiners also not have vast knowledge either so they will easily receive their pHD degree.