Sam Hirji

Biographies, Role Models etc...
kmaherali

Sam Hirji

Post by kmaherali »

Veteran Vancouver printer gets Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal

Veteran Vancouver printer Sam Hirji has been selected to receive the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal for outstanding contributions to his community.

"This is a great honour for me and my community," said Hirji, owner and president of Samco Printers Ltd.

He and 15 others will receive their medals from North Vancouver-Seymour MLA Jane Thornthwaite at a ceremony next Sunday.

The special award celebrates Queen Elizabeth's ascension to the throne 60 years ago and, during the year, is being presented to outstanding Canadians "who have made a significant contribution to Canada or to their province and community."

In addition to myriad philanthropic ventures, Hirji is active in the Ismaili community and is a proud honorary member of the Vancouver Police Pipe Band, bestowed in recognition of his many years of personal and professional support.

"Printing has always been in my family, since the days of the British Raj in India," said Hirji, who is also listed as a Queen's Printer.

Hirji was born in Uganda after his family moved there from India.

But the family fled the East African nation during its 1972 political crisis and lived in an Italian refugee camp before moving to Canada.

With a $5,000 loan, Hirji started his Vancouver-area business as a one-man operation in 1976.

Over the years, his firm has won multiple gold and silver medals from the International Gallery of Superb Printing.

"Sam's success has enabled him to give back to the community through personal and professional contributions to the fundraising campaigns of scores of not-for-profit, charitable and social organizations," said North Van Councillor Don Bell, Hirji's nominator for the Queen's Medal, noting that these diverse programs and projects "are vital to the well-being of our entire community."

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Vet ... z2Ci31dgtK