Nikah text, Yousuf and Zulekha

Discussion on R&R from all regions
star_munir

Nikah text, Yousuf and Zulekha

Post by star_munir »

In old nikah text there was one name "Yousuf and Zulekha" (I am not sure whether it is there in current text or not) I wonder why this name was there as Yousuf and Zulekha were not husband and wife. Zulekha was wife of Aziz-e-Misar.
tret

Re: Nikah text, Yousuf and Zulekha

Post by tret »

star_munir wrote:In old nikah text there was one name "Yousuf and Zulekha" (I am not sure whether it is there in current text or not) I wonder why this name was there as Yousuf and Zulekha were not husband and wife. Zulekha was wife of Aziz-e-Misar.

Who's aziz-e-misar?

Yusef and Zulekha's story is mentioned in Qur'an, I believe.
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Hazrat Yousuf was sold as slave to Aziz-e-Misar (minister of Firoun/ Pharaoh) also known as Potiphar in Bible. Zulaikha was wife of Potiphar.
tret

Post by tret »

star_munir wrote:Hazrat Yousuf was sold as slave to Aziz-e-Misar (minister of Firoun/ Pharaoh) also known as Potiphar in Bible. Zulaikha was wife of Potiphar.
I see, but Zulekha's marriage with aziz is not of importance, and at last, Zulekha was married to H Yusef, upon God's will. That love for Yusuf eventually led Zulekha to realization of Haqiqat and became a muslim or (believe in oneness of God, as muslims weren't called muslim at that time).
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

Zulekha was not married with Hazrat Yousuf. Infact, according to some sources, Pharaoh arranged marriage of Yousuf with daughter of Potiphar (Khawaja Hassan Nizami has mentioned this in his works) In that case Zulekha becomes his mother in law.
tret

Post by tret »

star_munir wrote:Zulekha was not married with Hazrat Yousuf. Infact, according to some sources, Pharaoh arranged marriage of Yousuf with daughter of Potiphar (Khawaja Hassan Nizami has mentioned this in his works) In that case Zulekha becomes his mother in law.

According to which sources? I think we should turn to ultimate source (Qur'an) as muslims, which is clearly explained the story of Yusef and Zulekha. I suggest you refer to Qur'an. Zulekha was not a believer (Believe in oneness of God) but since she was in love with Yusef, then through his love, she reaches haqiqat and eventually she becomes (yakta parast [or muslim]), and then by the will of God, Yusef H, get married with her. I'd strongly suggest you refer to Qur'an for clarification, and don't get confused with 'some other sources'.
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

According to which sources? I think we should turn to ultimate source (Qur'an) as muslims, which is clearly explained the story of Yusef and Zulekha. I suggest you refer to Qur'an. Zulekha was not a believer (Believe in oneness of God) but since she was in love with Yusef, then through his love, she reaches haqiqat and eventually she becomes (yakta parast [or muslim]), and then by the will of God, Yusef H, get married with her. I'd strongly suggest you refer to Qur'an for clarification, and don't get confused with 'some other sources'.
Could you please provide the verse/verses from the holy quran where it says zulekha got married to H.Yusuf[as] ??
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

I think, in Quran Zulaikha is never mentioned by name, nor is there any such mention of marriage of Yousuf and Zulaikha.
tret

Post by tret »

star_munir wrote:I think, in Quran Zulaikha is never mentioned by name, nor is there any such mention of marriage of Yousuf and Zulaikha.
Then, kindly let us know which source are you referring?
a_27826

Post by a_27826 »

tret wrote:
star_munir wrote:I think, in Quran Zulaikha is never mentioned by name, nor is there any such mention of marriage of Yousuf and Zulaikha.
YO TRET:

star_minir provided the source of "no mention of Zulaikha being married to Yousuf" = Quran

if quran mentions of marriage of Yousuf and Zulaikha, then please provide the verse(s)
tret

Post by tret »

star_munir wrote:Infact, according to some sources, Pharaoh arranged marriage of Yousuf with daughter of Potiphar..

According to which sources?
a_27826

Post by a_27826 »

tret wrote:
star_munir wrote:Infact, according to some sources, Pharaoh arranged marriage of Yousuf with daughter of Potiphar..

According to which sources?
Genesis 41:45
Pharaoh gave Joseph the name Zaphenath-Paneah and gave him Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On, to be his wife. And Joseph went throughout the land of Egypt.
tret

Post by tret »

a_27826 wrote:
tret wrote:
YO TRET:

star_minir provided the source of "no mention of Zulaikha being married to Yousuf" = Quran

if quran mentions of marriage of Yousuf and Zulaikha, then please provide the verse(s)
the actual literal text of marriage may not have been mentioned in the Quran. But just the fact that the name 'Yusuf' and 'Zulaikha' is mentioned in the Qur'an, isn't that enough to you? I never believed ismailies to be so orthodox, unless you aren't one.

Mention of 'Yusuf' and 'Zulaikha' has commitment, love, caring meaning beside the marriage. Mentioning these names in the nekah, implies that husband and wife must have the commitment and love, caring for one another. BTW, the Nekah khutbah that we use -- still in Jama'at khana today -- has the mention of Yusuf and Zulaikha. But Allah know best.

I am not really sure what's your point here?
star_munir

Post by star_munir »

There is no mention of Yousuf's love and commitment for Zulekha. If it is mentioned, then provide appropriate reference
kmaherali

Ismaili Nikah translation

Post by kmaherali »

Translation of the Khutbatan Nikkah

I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan
In the name of God, The infinitely compassionate. The infinetly merciful.
Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds; The Beneficent, the Merciful;
Owner of the Day of Judgement. You alone we worship; You alone we ask for help.
Guide us on the straight path; The path of those You have favoured
Not the path of those who earn Your anger Or of those who go astray

O Allah, bestow your blessings upon Muhammad the chosen. ON Ali the favourite. AND the pure Imams AND on the proof of the command, the lord of the time and age, our present and living imam, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni

GOD ALMIGHTY AND EXALTED SAYS: And among His signs is that He created for you, of yourselves, spouses. SO that you may live in tranquility with them AND ordained love and compassion between you. Verily, THERE are signs in this for people who reflect.
AND HE SAYS: It is He who created you from a single soul and therefrom made his mate, so that he may live in tranquility with her.
AND HE SAYS: It is Allah who appointed for you from among yourselves, your wives. AND from your wives He has appointed for you children and grandchildren and provided good things for your sustenance.
Verily the Almighty Exalted God speaks the Truth

Translation of the DU’A or Prayer

O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Adam and Hawwah (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Ibrahim and Hajar (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Yusuf and Zulaykha (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Musa and Safura (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Muhammad-al-Mustafa and Khadija-al-Kubra (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Mawlana Ali al-Murtaza and Fatimat-al-Zahra (a.s.)

O Allah, make their marriage a blessed one by the blessings of the Imam of the Time, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni, and grant them fine posterity.
I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah.
And I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah’s messenger.
And I bear witness that Ali, the commander of the faithful, is from Allah.
O Allah, bestow your blessings upon Muhammad the Chosen, on Ali the favourite, on the Pure Imams, and on the proof of the command, the lord of the Time and Age, our Present and Living Imam, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni.
And praise be to Allah the Lord of the worlds.
shivaathervedi

Re: Ismaili Nikah translation

Post by shivaathervedi »

kmaherali wrote:Translation of the Khutbatan Nikkah

I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan
In the name of God, The infinitely compassionate. The infinetly merciful.
Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds; The Beneficent, the Merciful;
Owner of the Day of Judgement. You alone we worship; You alone we ask for help.
Guide us on the straight path; The path of those You have favoured
Not the path of those who earn Your anger Or of those who go astray

O Allah, bestow your blessings upon Muhammad the chosen. ON Ali the favourite. AND the pure Imams AND on the proof of the command, the lord of the time and age, our present and living imam, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni

GOD ALMIGHTY AND EXALTED SAYS: And among His signs is that He created for you, of yourselves, spouses. SO that you may live in tranquility with them AND ordained love and compassion between you. Verily, THERE are signs in this for people who reflect.
AND HE SAYS: It is He who created you from a single soul and therefrom made his mate, so that he may live in tranquility with her.
AND HE SAYS: It is Allah who appointed for you from among yourselves, your wives. AND from your wives He has appointed for you children and grandchildren and provided good things for your sustenance.
Verily the Almighty Exalted God speaks the Truth

Translation of the DU’A or Prayer

O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Adam and Hawwah (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Ibrahim and Hajar (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Yusuf and Zulaykha (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Musa and Safura (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Nabiyyina Muhammad-al-Mustafa and Khadija-al-Kubra (a.s.)
O Allah, unite the two as you united Mawlana Ali al-Murtaza and Fatimat-al-Zahra (a.s.)

O Allah, make their marriage a blessed one by the blessings of the Imam of the Time, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni, and grant them fine posterity.
I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah.
And I bear witness that Muhammad is Allah’s messenger.
And I bear witness that Ali, the commander of the faithful, is from Allah.
O Allah, bestow your blessings upon Muhammad the Chosen, on Ali the favourite, on the Pure Imams, and on the proof of the command, the lord of the Time and Age, our Present and Living Imam, Mawlana Shah Karim al-Husayni.
And praise be to Allah the Lord of the worlds.

There are 3 parts of Nikah. You have given translations of first and third parts but omitted the second.
Just for information;
I am narrating what I was told by a Satpunthi friend from Canada. He said I quote," When Nikah was introduced in 2009, I was summond by a Mukhi saheb in Toronto area to recite Nikah. He provided me pages of Arabic text and its meaning in English. I was surprised that each page was marked CONFIDENTIAL and bottom line on first paper read was NOT FOR CIRCULATION. Mukhi Saheb ordred, when Nikah is recited return the copies to me. further he said ' when he inquired about Nikah copies from ITREB USA AGAIN IT WAS SAME SITUATION. Copies were not provided saying COFIDENTIAL. After year or so when he visited Karachi Pakistan, he went to purchase some books from the book store situated within ITREB building in Garden, he was surprised to see that Nikah book was sold there. He asked them that in Canada and USA this NIKAH document is dubbed as confidential and you are selling it openly. The reply was there is no confidentiality in it every jamaiti can purchase copy of it"
The question arises, that there is no proper working relationship between ITREBs. They have different views on different issues. In few countries the same document is private or confidential and in others it is open to all.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

shivaathervedi wrote:The question arises, that there is no proper working relationship between ITREBs. They have different views on different issues. In few countries the same document is private or confidential and in others it is open to all.
I personally do not see any issue with the document being circulated even amongst non-Ismailis. The Nikah ceremonies are attended by non-Ismailis as well. It is a good idea for individuals to know before hand what they are getting into by reading the document.

What is the second part about?
shivaathervedi

Post by shivaathervedi »

kmaherali wrote:
shivaathervedi wrote:The question arises, that there is no proper working relationship between ITREBs. They have different views on different issues. In few countries the same document is private or confidential and in others it is open to all.
I personally do not see any issue with the document being circulated even amongst non-Ismailis. The Nikah ceremonies are attended by non-Ismailis as well. It is a good idea for individuals to know before hand what they are getting into by reading the document.

What is the second part about?

The second part is AQD AZZAWAJ. This part is a kind of declaration containing names of bride, bridegroom and their witnesses. The bride and bridegroom fallow Ismaili Tariqa. Date and place of marriage. Amount of MAHAR AND CONFIRMATION OF MARRIAGE by Mukhi and Kamadia of the JK.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

shivaathervedi wrote: The second part is AQD AZZAWAJ. This part is a kind of declaration containing names of bride, bridegroom and their witnesses. The bride and bridegroom fallow Ismaili Tariqa. Date and place of marriage. Amount of MAHAR AND CONFIRMATION OF MARRIAGE by Mukhi and Kamadia of the JK.
The above information is specific to a particular Nikah ceremony, so it cannot be generalized. Nevertheless it is good to know what the second part consists of. Thanks for sharing.
moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com

Post by moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com »

Was Hazrat Yusuf an imam of his time?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com wrote:Was Hazrat Yusuf an imam of his time?
Generally Prophets are not Imams as understood in Ismailism. Hazarat Yusuf was a Nabi - Prophet.
moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com

Who was his companion Imam then?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com wrote:Who was his companion Imam then?
There would of course have been an Ismaili Imam but not in the sense of Ali with Muhammad. Muhammad was a Messenger - Rasul as well and hence there is a special historical relationship between him and Hazarat Ali as his Inheritor. Hazarat Yusuf was not a Messenger and hence in this context the Imam's historical identity is not important.
Admin

Post by Admin »

kmaherali wrote:
moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com wrote:Who was his companion Imam then?
There would of course have been an Ismaili Imam but not in the sense of Ali with Muhammad. Muhammad was a Messenger - Rasul as well and hence there is a special historical relationship between him and Hazarat Ali as his Inheritor. Hazarat Yusuf was not a Messenger and hence in this context the Imam's historical identity is not important.
On the contrary, I think it is important to know who was Imam when as we know there were Imam continuously since creation and beyond. The Asal Ghat Pat ji Dua did give some names but there are names also in other religious books and in Farmans (for example Sultan Muhammad Shah confirmed that Aaron was on the Takht during Mousa's time)

I would welcome anyone that could have this kind of info for who was Imam during the era of Yusuf.

But obviously this is not a topic in this thread, I hope this will be discussed soon in the appropriate thread.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Admin wrote: I would welcome anyone that could have this kind of info for who was Imam during the era of Yusuf.
Obviously difficult to determine through normal historical means. One may of course get that knowledge through vision in Ibadat/bandagi!
moiz.ashiqali@yahoo.com

Thank you Kmaherali Bhai and Admin