query regarding different sect marriage

Share small ismaili stories
zohaibmerchant

query regarding different sect marriage

Post by zohaibmerchant »

firsly i want to appologize if this is the wong section of the forum but it seemed the right place, if it is wrong please let me know what sections should i place this post in.
i m a 26 year old guy, i practice a mixture of shia, sunni and aga khani believes. i dont like getting into too much detail of each faith so i try fllow all to the best of my understanding, i read the quran in english to understand, fast during ramadan, i pray 3 to 4 times a day according to sunni or shia believes. my father is a practicing shia, and my mother before marriage was a practicing aga khani, she yet goes to jamat khana once in a while, but dad never did, she prays namaz too. i try make it to jamat khana once or twice a week.
now for the girl i m interested in, she and her family are prcticing aga khanis, they dont pray namaz or fast. she knows everything about my believes and we are yet not sure if its a good idea to get into a relationship and try for marriage due to our differences. our main concern is the kids. when we have the kids we dont want them to get confused or go astray. we have decided to make them follow aga khani believes and make it compulsory for them to go to jamat khana and reciete dua, fasting is another thing the girl does but voluntarily thus not all the fasts, so the kids can fast too without any issue. the question we cant decide on is that if they see me or my mom pray namaz wont they get confused, its decided that the kids wont pray namaz as compulsion but voluntarily if they choose to, i wont force them or even insist that they do.
please if someone could guide me if this is a good idea or would the kids get lost. it would be very helpful if someone could provide any historical source or from His Highness's farmaan any backing in favor of this relationship.
Admin

Post by Admin »

One can not be a dysfunctional <Sunnis-Shia-"Agakhani">. it is better to find your way and settle for the Faith that you understand the best and in which you can believe without confusion.
tret

Re: query regarding different sect marriage

Post by tret »

zohaibmerchant wrote:firsly i want to appologize if this is the wong section of the forum but it seemed the right place, if it is wrong please let me know what sections should i place this post in.
i m a 26 year old guy, i practice a mixture of shia, sunni and aga khani believes. i dont like getting into too much detail of each faith so i try fllow all to the best of my understanding, i read the quran in english to understand, fast during ramadan, i pray 3 to 4 times a day according to sunni or shia believes. my father is a practicing shia, and my mother before marriage was a practicing aga khani, she yet goes to jamat khana once in a while, but dad never did, she prays namaz too. i try make it to jamat khana once or twice a week.
now for the girl i m interested in, she and her family are prcticing aga khanis, they dont pray namaz or fast. she knows everything about my believes and we are yet not sure if its a good idea to get into a relationship and try for marriage due to our differences. our main concern is the kids. when we have the kids we dont want them to get confused or go astray. we have decided to make them follow aga khani believes and make it compulsory for them to go to jamat khana and reciete dua, fasting is another thing the girl does but voluntarily thus not all the fasts, so the kids can fast too without any issue. the question we cant decide on is that if they see me or my mom pray namaz wont they get confused, its decided that the kids wont pray namaz as compulsion but voluntarily if they choose to, i wont force them or even insist that they do.
please if someone could guide me if this is a good idea or would the kids get lost. it would be very helpful if someone could provide any historical source or from His Highness's farmaan any backing in favor of this relationship.
Admin gave you a very suitable response. You need to first convince yourself, then convincing (or making your kids understand) should be simple. If you aren't clear about something, you won't be able to clearly explain to someone else. So, first you should try to understand clearly what's your belief, and what path you want to choose, then once you have kids, then you should be able to make them understand what's right or not right.
zohaibmerchant

Post by zohaibmerchant »

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding, I have been following the mix of faith all my life and don't have an issue or conflict, I was born a Muslim and would like to die one too rather then be associated to different sects, as a child I went to jk with my mother's side of the family and learned namaz from my father. As both my parents were teaching me 2 ways of prayer and never discriminated between faiths or said against either I never had any issue. I obviously had an inclination towards namaz but din't leave dua or jk completely, the reason why I don't want to teach both and leave it to the kids to decide which way they like is cause I never got confused but kids could so we decide for them and make dua primary and namaz secondary. The faith each sect has is not so different in reality but the issues are there due to our human need to prove we are right and others are wrong. I don't think I m anyone to judge who is right and who is wrong.
tret

Post by tret »

zohaibmerchant wrote:There seems to be a slight misunderstanding, I have been following the mix of faith all my life and don't have an issue or conflict, I was born a Muslim and would like to die one too rather then be associated to different sects, as a child I went to jk with my mother's side of the family and learned namaz from my father. As both my parents were teaching me 2 ways of prayer and never discriminated between faiths or said against either I never had any issue. I obviously had an inclination towards namaz but din't leave dua or jk completely, the reason why I don't want to teach both and leave it to the kids to decide which way they like is cause I never got confused but kids could so we decide for them and make dua primary and namaz secondary. The faith each sect has is not so different in reality but the issues are there due to our human need to prove we are right and others are wrong. I don't think I m anyone to judge who is right and who is wrong.
Then I don't see any issue/problem
zohaibmerchant

Post by zohaibmerchant »

Well I don't think there would be an issue but the girl is a bit concerned so we are looking for some sources from the past or from farmans.