A highly Imandar Ismaili woman

Share small ismaili stories
duniyaa

A highly Imandar Ismaili woman

Post by duniyaa »

The story is real but names are not. Her name was Mariam who married to a small Kiriyana shop owner, Hussein, an Ismaili. They both have only primary education in Urdu medium. The parents of both had settled in Karachi after migrating from Kathiawar, Gujarat, India. Though these families were financially not well off, they were rich in Ismaili faith. So from childhood, Marium and Hussein were very punctual in their two times attendance of Jamatkhana – morning as well as evening.

By hard work and Rehmat of Maula, the husband was able to own small a apartment. However, from 1980 and onward, Hussein’s health started deteriorating which effected his shop business too. By 1988, his health deteriorated further and found to be patient of blood pressure, blood sugar, kidney failure and weakness in eyesight. He died in 1993 but not before Marium had to sell off the only apartment the family had to settle for medical expenses. Hussein left behind one daughter, Shelina,15 and one son, Rehan, 13 as well.

Besides serving well to his husband throughout during his illness, Marium was very punctual, both the times, to her attendance in Jamatkhana as usual along with her both the children. Her faith in and Love for Maula was so strong that she always remained cheerful and a caring mother too. Nobody has ever seen her in gloom or ever complaining about anything. Even on the day Hussein died, there was hardly any change in her routine. She was as usual in Jamatkhana at four o’clock in the morning. She did not weep at her husband’s death. Her reply was simple: ‘ Hussein was Maulabapa’s child and He called him back to Him. This is good for Hussein, so why should I grieve. Maula knows everything as to what is good for me.’

Being financially weak, her both the children were attending government Urdu medium school. The shop was closed for long time. Marium opened it again, but the business was such that it was insufficient to meet both the ends.So after running for a year the shop was closed again. She started selling home made rotis (chapaatis) from door to door. In which Shelina helped her too. In the same year, shelina cleared her 10th grade exam in A grade , but due to family problems she didn’t pursue her further education.

However, then misfortune struck again, Rehan, who was then 15, was run over by a private bus while returning home from school. Did that event weakened Marium or her faith or her routine? Sure not, she was as regular as before in her religious routine even the day Rehan died. When Kamadianima sympathized her loss, her usual reply was: ‘Rehan was Maulabapa’s spiritual child, I was only a care taker. Maulabapa has called him to Himself, so why should I grieve? All what we have been experiencing is nothing more than a dream compared to the reality of that world. The reality is something else. Maulabapa is treating me well; He wouldn’t give me anything less than the best. He knows well what is best for me.’

Marium had to work very hard to meet the day to day expenses for her and Shelina. Then one day Shelina joined a beauty parlour as a helper. Initially for the first three months, she did not get any salary, but soon she proved dexterous in this skill, and hence started getting a very nominal salary. Meanwhile she approached a bank whose manager was an Ismaili. She discussed with him her plan to convert his father’s shop into a beauty clinic for which she needed at least rupees fifty thousand. The shop was more than that value, and hence, after completion of the formalities she was given the amount to be repaid in three years time in equal monthly installments. Shelina opened her clinic just after a month time, and with the Rehmat of Maula she was doing a roaring business. Within a couple of months she needed two paid assistants. Within four months she paid the entire loan amount and made some further improvement in the clinic too.Her business was so roaring that she decided to buy the adjacent shop as a part of an extension plan. The owner of the shop demanded rupees three lacs ( three hundred thousands). She approached the bank again and explained her plan to the manager. As manager was aware of her very good business and her credit, he sanctioned the amount. Now she had a very large beauty clinic. Marium didn’t have to do door to door selling any more. Marium is presently providing volunteering services to Jamatkhana. Shelina ran that clinic for three more years and besides repaying the entire loan to the bank within 12 months or so she negotiated a big loan of Rs. 10 lacs and negotiated an ownership apartment on cash payment. Shelina was very beautiful and hence soon she was able to marry a handsome chartered accountant.
kasamali

Post by kasamali »

Who taught the primary level educated Marium the practical
philosophy of life? Where did Shelina learn the business skill and
the skill of negotiating business loans with a banker? The simple
reply is: their unwavering strong faith in and immense Love for the
Imam of the Time or in words of Kalame Mauala:

" The Lord Himself guides to those whom He chooses..." (KM- 326)

" Jees par karam kare wo aap, usko aaphi aap bujaave"

Obviously, with such level of spirituality, Marium has always been
happy and cheerful in her life.

I have little doubt that there will be some more Mariums ( both male
and female) in Ismaili community. This is simply possible because
the community has a Living Lord ( Imam) of the Time. May be she is
one of the 313 Momins about whom ISMS said many a times: "
This/world must have 313 Momins for its existence." These 313
Momins, as per the Farmans are the spiritual forces that keeps the
world in balance.

Such people know and realize the real truth -- the truth of Love and
oneness beyond illusions of self and other -- as taught by inner
(Batini) aspect of Ismaili Islam. These people, in reality, are
truly ascetic as compared to so the called sages, Sadhus, sufis or
Babas.

" If you obey our Farmans properly, you can reach to a stage higher
than the angels" (ISMS)

Conclusion : God's world is full of such mysteries.

Moral of the story : ' Real happiness is independent of outside
factors and resource; it comes from within through Ibadat'

Note: Did Marium ever read Gita, Bible, or Quran or Mathnavi of
Maulana Rum or Hafiz? Or for that matter any books on philosophy or
psychology or books by Deepak Chopra or Azim Jamal? I bet, she
hasn't read a single line from any of them. And yet, she knew and
acted according to very essence of all such books!

KasamAli