Jamatkhana vs Darkhana

Past or Present customs and their evolution
ONiazi

Jamatkhana vs Darkhana

Post by ONiazi »

Assalam aleikum wa ya Ali madad!

What's the difference between a jamatkhana and a darkhana?

Thanks!

Mowla hafiz,
ON
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Wa alaykum salaam and YAM

The following is an excerpt from the constitution on JamatKhana and Darkhana.

Article Ten DARKHANAS AND PRINCIPAL JAMATKHANAS

10.1 Mawlana Hazar Imam may designate a Jamatkhana in any territory as "Darkhana" for that territory.

10.2 Mawlana Hazar Imam hereby designates each ' jamatkhana listed in the Sixth Schedule as Darkhana in respect of the territory mentioned opposite its name in that Schedule.

10.3 If no Darkhana has been designated for a territory, the National Council in that territory shall recommend to Mawlana Hazar Imam the designation of any one of the jamatkhanas within its jurisdiction as the Principal jamatkhana of the territory.

Sixth Schedule DARKHANAS

Territory Darkhana
1 Canada His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana, Burnaby, British Columbia

2. India His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana, Khadak, Bombay, State of Maharashtra.

3. Kenya His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana, Moi Avenue, Nairobi

4. Pakistan His Higness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana,
Garden East, Karachi, Sind.

5. Tanzania His Higness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana, Mosque Street, Dar-es-Salaam.

6. The united Kingdom His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Darkhana, Gomwell Gandens, South Kenisington, London.

In short, one JK in each territory may be designated as Darkhana. It is like headquaters of all JKs in the territory. In my opinion the designation is to do with the importance that MHI attaches in terms of permanency of Jamat of that particular territory. Not all countries have Darkhanas
ONiazi

Post by ONiazi »

Assalam alaikum!

Thank you very much!

Does the US have a Darkhana?

YAM,
ON
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

You are welcome!

Not according to the copy of the constitution that I have read, unless it has been revised.

During the Deedar on the occassion of the opening of the Burnaby JK, Mowlana HazarImam designated it as Darkhana of Canada. I am not sure whether he did the same on the occassion of the opening of the SugarLand JK in Texas. I do not have the Farman with me.

It is absolutely the Imam's prerogative as to whether to designate a JK as Darkhana for a given territory. But I think if it is not the Darkhana than it must be the Principle JK of US.
ShamsB

Post by ShamsB »

kmaherali wrote:You are welcome!

Not according to the copy of the constitution that I have read, unless it has been revised.

During the Deedar on the occassion of the opening of the Burnaby JK, Mowlana HazarImam designated it as Darkhana of Canada. I am not sure whether he did the same on the occassion of the opening of the SugarLand JK in Texas. I do not have the Farman with me.

It is absolutely the Imam's prerogative as to whether to designate a JK as Darkhana for a given territory. But I think if it is not the Darkhana than it must be the Principle JK of US.

The sugarland jamatkhana is the darkhana for the US.
Also the Nairobi darkhana has been moved to Parklands Jamat khana..not town Jamatkhana anymore.

Shams
unnalhaq

Post by unnalhaq »

Jamatkhana vs Darkhana

Consulates vs. Embassies (of souls. of course)
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

unnalhaq wrote:Jamatkhana vs Darkhana

I would say:

Principle Jamatkhanas - Consulate
Darkhanas - Embassies :lol:
unnalhaq

Post by unnalhaq »

kmaherali wrote:
unnalhaq wrote:Jamatkhana vs Darkhana

I would say:

Principle Jamatkhanas - Consulate
Darkhanas - Embassies :lol:
You got the right idea!
farhatnoorali

YA ALi Madad

Post by farhatnoorali »

darkhana is same as head quater jamat khana or its different .. do we have darkhana or head quater in every country or state.... in houston there is head quater jamat khana and principal too whats the difference between all these, please clarify
unnalhaq

Re: YA ALi Madad

Post by unnalhaq »

farhatnoorali wrote:darkhana is same as head quater jamat khana or its different .. do we have darkhana or head quater in every country or state.... in houston there is head quater jamat khana and principal too whats the difference between all these, please clarify
Just to be blunt in the US our Jameti leader have not figure this out yet.
There used to be the "Chief" JK then it became the Headquarter, principal and now high profile. It has more to do with size of Jamet and permanent structure of JKs. It may take some time before it all gets sorted out. It has been a tradition that where there is a National AKA Federal Council has home is where the Darkhana designation is given.
It had been The Imam's intent to have a North American and Australian Council but the assets and finance laws governing non for profit (religious) organizations are very different from Canada's thus holding up the consolidation.
Gjp5060

Houston Headquarters and Principal

Post by Gjp5060 »

The headquarters for Houston is the South JK, and the new HPC is the principal. It is called principal because it is home for the council; but the headquarters for houston is not HPC.
rahimfaiz00

Post by rahimfaiz00 »

Ya Ali Madad

i lived in Houston TX for 18 years before moving last year.
as far as my best knowledge "The Headquater" Jamat khana is not designated HQ by MHI or ITREB to anybody. It is known as HQ because it is the oldest jamatkhana in Houston and houses the biggest jamats in Houston and probably the whole USA.

MHI along with Texas Governor Rick Perry in 2002 opened the New Jamatknana (one day before the Houston DEEDAR in 2002) in Sugarland, TX. This Jamatkhana has an official title of Principal Jamatkhana for the USA jamat. ( this JK is different than the well known sugarland jk).
Even before the construction was finished This JK gained, the now familiar name HPC .
Very few people know that the leadership at that time tried, unsuccessfull, that jamat dont use that name . They prefered , (appropriately i might add) IJCC or IJC, Ismaili Jamatkhana and Community Center ( which is also written on a visible sign when you enter the complex.)
This Comples Also Houses our National Council.
i hope this helped.
Also not to mention that During the Darbar it was PRINCIPAL jk's Mukhi / KAmadia saheban who were walking behind MHI and were on the Stage performing all the cermonies.
YAM
agakhani

What is the meaning of Darkhana?

Post by agakhani »

The meaning of darkhana is living place of Mowlana Hazar Imam. Aalmot used to be called Darkhana during the fatimid caliphat of our Imams and our many pirs mentioned in their ginans too.
Mowlana Imam Hasan ali (s.a.) designated Khadak Jamat Khana in Mumbai as a Darakhana of the world and status of this Jamat khana has not been changed since then, so it is still Darkhana jamat Khana of the world.

There are only two main Darkhanas in the world
1, Khadak Jamat Khana in Mumbai, this is darkhana jamat khana since the time of Imam Hasan Ali shah (s.a.).
2, Banabi Jamat Khana in Canada MHI designated as a Darkahana for Canada.
Other Darkhanas like Garden Jamat Khana in Karachi, Africa, Kenya and UK are constitutional Darkahans, if any one has question, what is the constitutional Darkahana? then please read KMaherali's above post he explained it beautifully.
Head Quarter Jamat Khana, Principal Jamat Khana, Main Jamat Khana, Chief Jamat Khanad and now Hi profile Jamat Khana ( which is under construction in Houston) are different names of the Jamat Khanas in Houston and as per my understanding MHI has not designated any USA jamat khana as a "Darkhana" Jamat Khana yet ,If I am Misaking then please correct me, when and where it was designated as a Darkhan Jamat Khana for USA?