Celebrations during the visit September 2014 for the Museum

Activities in your jamats including posting of announcements
Admin

Celebrations during the visit September 2014 for the Museum

Post by Admin »

As the Ismaili Center and Aga Khan Museum will be opening next week in the presence of the Imam, a flurry of activities have been arranged for the Jamat in Canada including showing in direct to the Jamat of the opening ceremony.
Celebrations on September 12 - Center / Museum opening telecast
Celebrations on September 12

As Received

We are pleased to inform the Jamat that on Friday, September 12, the Jamat will gather at the Direct Energy Centre to view a live broadcast and celebrate the opening of the Aga Khan Museum and the Ismaili Centre, Toronto.

Direct Energy Centre - Exhibition Place,
100 Princes' Blvd.,
Toronto, ON M6K 3C3, Canada
Phone:(416) 263-3000

Overview of the Day

Time Event
12:00 p.m. (noon) Direct Energy Centre doors open to welcome the Jamat
12:00 - 2:00 p.m. Light lunch and refreshments
Entertainment
Exhibitions (Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Centre, Toronto)
2:00 - 5:00 p.m. Live telecast of the opening of the Aga Khan Museum and the Ismaili Centre, Toronto
6:00 p.m. Jamati ceremonies at the Direct Energy Centre
7:00 p.m. Dinner and refreshments
Entertainment
Exhibitions (Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Centre, Toronto)
9:30 p.m. Bus departures begin
11:30 p.m. Festivities conclude

Chair Passes

Chair passes may be obtained in all Jamatkhanas at no cost beginning on Friday, September 5, after Jamati ceremonies, from ISAT members. There will be NO chair passes distributed on September 12 at the Direct Energy Centre.

Parking Passes

Jamati members wishing to park at the Direct Energy Centre must purchase a $10.00 non-refundable parking pass from their local Jamatkhana PRIOR to Friday, September 12.
Admin

Post by Admin »

AS RECEIVED

>> Good Morning Dear Mukhi kamadia Saheb and Mukhiani Kamadiani Saheban, on this glorious historic day.
>>
>> We are preparing to head downstairs to get on the buses taking us to the Centre.
>>
>> We wanted to once again wish you all lots of mubarakis on this most historic and special day.
>>
>> As we participate in the ceremonies in Toronto, you are all in their heart and prayers. We are here on all your behalf and truly wish we could all be here together.
>>
>> We hope that the gatherings in every region are memorable for everyone and large numbers gather together as a united family.
>
>> Thought we share some updates from Toronto:
>>
>> The celebrations started last night at the Royal York in Toronto where over 600 guests including the LIF, Leadership and Guests from around the world. Guests from many countries including Iran, Afganistan, Syria, Tajikistan and some travelled over 36 hours to make it for the Opening
>>
>> The Dinner started with the music from our own Trio from BC - Suite 301. A video showing the journey of the Ismaili Centres was shared. LIF Chairman Eboo spoke about Hazar Imam's vision for the centres and the future of these Ambassadorial buildings as bridges to unite and enlighten. A cultural dance depicting the vision and images of all 6 ismaili centres ended the evening. Navida you would be proud.
>>
>> Hazar Imam arrived in Toronto on Wednesday and spent all day yesterday Chairing the Aga khan Board Meetings, He toured the museum with the board and hosted a dinner for them on the evening.
>>
>> Prince Amin has been here already for a few days and Prince Hussein, rahim and Princes Salwa arrived yesterday.
>>
>> With prayers for a blessed day that meets all of Hazar Imams expectations.
>>
>> We are taking you and your Jamats as well as all MKs with us in our heart thoughts and prayers as well as all yours and our Gratitude and prayers in his Huzur today
>
>> lots do love from the DK team.
Last edited by Admin on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin

Post by Admin »

AS RECEIVED

Dear Mukhi Kamadia and Mukhiani Kamadiani Saheban,
Again we wish each and every one of you as well as each and every member of the Jamat, our deepest Heartfelt mubarakis on this most historic and special day and
As Hazar Imam himself said-- it was a magnificent day

We want reiterate
As we participated in the ceremonies in Toronto, we had you all and - your entire Jamat - in our heart, our thoughts and prayers.
Just to continue the update
After Hazar Imam arrived in Toronto on Wednesday and spent all day yesterday chairing a meeting of the Aga Khan Museum Board. He toured the Museum with the Board and hosted a dinner for them in the evening.
This morning, after attending some meetings, he arrived at the Ismaili Centre to greet the Prime Minister.

Inshallah you all watched and enjoyed the ceremonies with your Jamat.
For us sitting in the space with Mowla was unlike anything we have experienced. You could see the pride and joy in his face as he was received with a standing ovation and he looked around the room and smiled people in the audience.
We felt like he caught each persons eye in the room and was absolutely beaming.
Our Mowla was very, very happy today - shukar.

The Centre is truly spectacular! After the ceremonies, we toured some of the spaces. The highlight was of course - the circular prayer hall. On Saturday again we tour.
Will send you photos asap.

After the opening at ICT where some 600 invited guests from around the world had assembled at noon to witness it, Mowla went to AKM and and said good bye to the Prime minister, he walked back through the Centre past a line up of guests ten deep. He stopped every few feet to converse and say mubaraki to the attendees. Seemed like he didn't want to leave.
Finally At the exit doors, he turned around and looked back with a huge smile and waved. Perhaps we can share some detailed stories soon.

We want the Jamat to know that we prayed that Mowla comes back very soon for a Jamati visit and bless us all with zaheri deedar. That was our deepest prayer, and with all your prayers as well, inshallah he will come back very soon.

Tomorrow Hazar Imam and Prince Amyn will host the Artist community and Patrons of the Arts at a Gala at the Museum. Yoyo Ma will perform a concert in their presence. We expect Hazar Imam to leave Canada soon after.

Today as you celebrate in Vancouver with sherbet, cake and a meal, remember Mowla’s words "We are a community that welcomes a smile". Smile, laugh, be happy and let us continue to extend to each other the hands of friendship and brotherhood that makes our Jamat so special.
Admin

Post by Admin »

014, September 13: After staying about 3 hours again this evening at the site of the Ismaili Center and Aga Khan Museum which was inaugurated in the presence of Canada's Prime Minister Harper on September 12th, The Imam left for Toronto Pearson Airport and his flight departed around 9:10pm for Geneva at the end of an exceptional historical significant visit.
Admin

Post by Admin »

AS RECEIVED

Ya Ali Madad Friends & Family,

As you know the Opening Ceremonies of the Ismaili Center Toronto (ICT) and the Aga Khan Museum (AKM) were held this past Friday, September 12th in Toronto. Mawlana Hazar Imam hosted the event with Prime Minister Stephen Harper as the Guest of Honor. Prince Amyn, Prince Hussain, Prince Rahim, and Princess Salwa were all in attendance.

I was given the opportunity to attend the ceremonies as an usher. I received a call from the Council for Edmonton on Saturday, September 6th in the afternoon informing me that I had been selected as 1 of 24 ushers between the ages of 18 and 25 across Canada and that I needed to be in Toronto by Tuesday evening. Training was to be held all day Wednesday and Thursday.

Upon arriving in Toronto, the hospitality of the volunteers was heart warming. I went through the arrival gates and there was a volunteer standing there in uniform with a big sign that read "Aga Khan Museum". They took my luggage for me, fed me and arranged for a car to take me to the hotel.

Early Wednesday morning all the ushers arrived at the Center for training that was to begin with a tour of the buildings. Beautiful, gorgeous, breath taking all fall short for a description of the ICT, park and AKM. The buildings are so modern (ahead of current times) yet there is no denying an obvious Islamic influence. The detail attended to is mind blowing. The main floor of the center has the social hall (where the ceremonies took place), the prayer hall (a jewel of its own), the library (where Hazar Imam did the Mansbridge interview)/classrooms for BUI. Bathrooms are located downstairs and I kid you not no one was using them because they were so beautiful. The bathrooms even have a special stall for children - there is a child logo on the door, a toilet that is lower to the ground and is in the shape of a flower. In the basement there is also the underground parkade which connects to the museum and an industrial kitchen. The second floor of the center has all the council offices - a beautiful space. The rooftop of the center has a garden that leads to Hazar Imam's office (very much like the center in London).

After our tour, we were congratulated on being selected. They explained that the selection process entailed names being submitted from local councils to national. National then requested CVs of selected individuals and studied them according to 3 criteria: 1. Education/Profession 2. Volunteer work both Jamati and external 3. Interpersonal skills/approachability etc. They definitely fed our egos! 4 youth from each major city were invited to attend. I was technically one of the four from Calgary as that is my current city.

The magnanimity of the occasion was then explained. The invites to guests read "His Highness the Aga Khan is pleased to invite you...", therefore it was not the Council for Canada, not the LIF, nor the Aga Khan Development Network's event but His Highness who was hosting the event. This was emphasized to us multiple times and it was explained that we were hosting His Highness's closest friends and guests on His behalf. We were encouraged to live in the moment and enjoy every minute of the ceremonies and to smile smile and smile! (The fact that Hazar Imam commented in his speech that we are a community that welcomes the smile was very much in keeping with the training we received). Training then continued and consisted of proper etiquette, protocol, how to address government officials, jamati leaders etc. Rai Saheb from Vancouver shared amazing stories of his past experiences which I am happy to share with you in person as email won't do them justice.

On Wednesday evening, we were informed that Bapa (as all the National and Aiglemont leaders referred to Hazar Imam as) had arrived in Toronto and was extremely happy. So happy in fact that when Minister Alexander (Immigration) welcomed him Bapa invited him into his car and they rode to the hotel together.

Thursday morning we got assigned to our posts and I was assigned to the front door with 3 other ushers. We then did a practice session, national council members took the role of guests and we did a mock welcome. The national project manager started at the front doors and asked us to open the doors (I have never spent so much time discussing how to open a door before!). Once they were satisfied with our technique they asked us if we knew the last part of our role. We looked at them blankly and that's when they told us we would be opening the doors for Bapa, the Noorani family and the Prime Minister. Suffice to say we were in shock. They then went on to explain that we were to follow Bapa to the VIP room at a distance of 2m and close the doors behind them. My next duty was to open the doors to the Aga Khan Museum inside the underground parkade that connects the center to the museum.

On Friday morning, we arrived at the center and met as a team. We went over all the roles and last minute changes and took our positions at 11am. At 12pm guests began to arrive. I had a great experience welcoming Justin Trudeau, Adrienne Clarkson, Naheed Nenshi (Calgary pride!), Fumihiko Maki, Charles Correa. It was an honor welcoming guests we have all seen with Hazar Imam and with whom we know he shares strong relationships. At 2:15pm, President Malik Talib, VP Moez Rajwani, Mohammed Dhanani and President for Ontario came out to assemble the receiving line.

President Talib was pacing up and down and clapping his hands together. He said it's always anxiety at this point! He then looked at Sadi and I at the doors and said yes big smiles, everyone smile, let's smile! We then saw Mawlana Hazar Imam's motorcade. The 5 cars drove in faster than I was expecting. Mawla emerged from the first car. I can't quite explain my reaction to seeing him mere feet away from me but joy is an understatement, I was overcome with love and happiness. I heard Mawla say "Ah Malik, so good to see you" and remember thinking wow! President Talib and Mawla continued to discuss. At one point, I saw Mawla look at me and then Sadi for the briefest glance as though acknowledging that we were there. I then moved my head and saw Prince Rahim, Princess Salwa and Prince Hussain. They looked like photographs to me. I was reciting salwaat at this point and as Mawla came closer I experienced an odd moment when family members names just started coming into my head like an attendance list - one after the other in no particular order. He then continued to approach the doors and all of a sudden I lost feeling of my entire body and my mind went blank - it is very hard for me to describe this part even in person so I will not try further in this email. I was worried I wouldn't be able to move my legs to close the doors behind Him but somehow I did. We walked behind Mawla to the VIP room then returned back to the doors as the Prime Minister was still coming. We got outside and were told that Mawla would come back outside to welcome the Prime Minister. I kept looking over my shoulder and finally I saw Mawla from a distance. We opened the doors he walked through and stood with His back towards the doors waiting for the Prime Minister's motorcade. At this point, I had an overwhelming desire to hug him - like when you haven't seen your parent after such a long time and you just want to embrace them. (Of course I restrained myself). The Prime Minister then arrived. He emerged and said "Your Highness, always a pleasure." Mawla then thanked him for taking the time to be there. They walked through the threshold and Harper asked Mawla "So how many buildings like this center are there?" Mawla stretched out his left hand as thought counting on his fingers and said "Oh we must have 7 now". We then closed the doors behind them and walked with them to the room. I could hear laughter from inside and the sound of glasses. We then went downstairs to join the rest of the volunteers.

My second duty was to open the doors of the museum underground. Once the guests had gone through I was about to make my way back to the Center when a national member came running down saying me and the other usher with me were being called upstairs. I told her we were told to go directly to the center. She grabbed my arm and said go upstairs now. We walked up the stairs and 3 other ushers were standing there. One mouthed to me "run!" I ran up the steps and he told me to just stand by the wall. Next thing I knew to my left, Mawla and Harper were walking through the museum doors after cutting the ribbon and they were followed by the Noorani family members. I felt beyond grateful to have seen them for a second time.

We then returned to center and the ushers were exchanging their experiences when national approached the group of us and said Mawla wants to return to the center to take Harper up to the council offices. The guests were still in the social hall at this point so we had to create a barricade to enable Mawla to walk discretely to the elevator. We created 3 lines and Harper and Mawla emerged in the doorway. Harper waved first and Mawla followed and they disappeared around the corner.

At this point, most external guests had left and Jamati members who were guests remained. A national member then announced that Mawla was outside seeing the Prime Minister off and that He would then enter the foyer again and is willing to walk the perimeter. They asked the ushers to usher all guests to one side of the foyer behind the white pillars and to then form a human chain holding each other's hands. Mawla's security then came and looked at our chain and gave a thumbs up - Mawla could come in! He entered from the left and stopped between each usher to speak with the guests behind them. Laughter erupted from the left hand side. He continued to make his way down until finally he was directly to my left. He looked at an older man who was standing right next to me and asked him "How is your family?" He then turned to 2 women behind me and asked them "How is my Iranian Jamat, I am always thinking of them." Mawla then took a step back and asked the crowd of guests between me and the usher to my left "Have you all had a chance to see the prayer hall yet?" Most responded no. Mawla then said "you must, you must all see the prayer hall before you leave." Mawla then began to take steps and stopped directly in front of me facing me. His body continued to face me and he turned His face to the right and said to President Talib "We have to ensure everyone has the chance to see the prayer hall, it is very important that everyone sees the prayer hall." He then continued to walk to the right of me. At this point, tears were streaming down my face as my heart could no longer contain the joy and happiness I was feeling. I could not believe how blessed I was to see Mawla so many times in the span of mere hours. I thought of the entire Jamat and immediately wanted to share my experience with you all.

While Mawla was walking the perimeter my fellow ushers shared that the laughter to the left had been because everyone was wishing Mawla Mubaraki, He had then responded that You all have done all of this, I should be saying Mubaraki to you. To my far right, there was a little boy. Apparently Mawla went up to him and told him to make sure he stayed on Sirat-ul-Mustaqeem. He then asked the boy if he knew what Sirat-ul-Mustaqeem was. The boy responded the right path. Mawla took one step forward then turned back and told the boy "I am always thinking of you".

These are just a few stories and snippets of my experience but I feel truly blessed to have been given such an opportunity. I am still processing it but I have no doubt in my mind that I was bestowed this blessing because of the seva of each and every member of the family. I was merely representing each of you and I want to sincerely thank you all for all your support and love. Many of you have no idea the extent to which you have provided guidance, wisdom, inspiration and support.

I am happy to have you share these experiences with others as appropriate. I will share some pictures in the coming days. Mubaraki to you all and I look forward to discussing this further in person.

Best Regards,

Zafira
Admin

Post by Admin »

AS RECEIVED

Talika has been received and will be read Friday. enter on Wynford Drive will be the new Ontario Headquarters Jamatkhana. The current headquarters JK Mukhi Kamadia will sit there. The current Headquarters Jk has been renamed East York JK .

Thorncliffe JK will be closing as of September 21 2014 with the opening of the Ismaili Centre Toronto. Thorncliffe Mukhi/Kamaida will be officiating at East York Jamatkhana (formerly Headquarters Jamatkahana) at 149 Bartley Drive.