Jubilee Games in Dubai

All activities or special projects celebrating Diamond Jubilee (except Didars)
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

https://www.theismaili.org/jubileegames ... g-ceremony
VIDEO:
Jubilee Games wraps up with an incredible closing ceremony

Aalia Datoo
Naheema Walji
Omar Rawji

9 August 2016

In a dazzling end to a memorable week, the Jubilee Games Closing Ceremony was a kaleidoscope of colour, dance, music, photos, and inspiring words.

His Highness Sheikh Mansoor bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum — son of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai — joined the crowd of 12,000 in bidding farewell to the Games.

Dr Mahmoud Eboo, Chairman of the Ismaili Leaders’ International Forum, welcomed Sheikh Mansoor to the ceremony.

“My first and most important responsibility is to convey the Ismaili community’s very warm thanks to the Rulers and Government of the United Arab Emirates for their support,” said Dr Eboo. He specifically expressed gratitude to His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Dubai Sports Council and the Dubai World Trade Centre for their support in hosting the Games.

The LIF Chairman also told the crowd that the next Jubilee Games will be held in 2020, and said the process to select a host country is already well underway.

To mark the conclusion of the 2016 Jubilee Games, the fawanees were removed one-by-one and returned to delegates selected to represent each team. Sheikh Mansoor then switched off the main Jubilee Games Fanous.

A series of performances and video memoirs took place throughout the ceremony. The notion of a kaleidoscope was at the heart of the event — a nod to the Peterson Lecture delivered by Mawlana Hazar Imam during his 2008 Golden Jubilee visit to the United States.

At that time he spoke of a “kaleidoscope of different identities” present particularly in the developing world, and “the need to establish connecting bonds across cultures” while preserving a “special sense of self” for each culture.

Eight years later, over 70 artists from Afghanistan, Canada, France, India, Kenya, Pakistan, Tajikistan, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States provided a unique and original interpretation of this concept.

“What blew me away was the depth and breadth of the quality of our performers and the fact they wanted to come and be part of the Jubilee Games,” said Sajida H. Shroff, implementation manager of the Closing Ceremony. The performances featured talented Ismaili women and men who were chosen through a rigorous selection process that started a year ago.

The Al Azhar Garden Pipe Band from Karachi and the Parkour team from Pakistan led the procession of athletes. Mazij AlMusiqaa, a group of musicians put together through the Jamati Talent Identification Process, performed a specially curated piece under the the direction of Salim-Sulaiman.This was followed by a memorable beat boxing performance by Mohamed Haroon, which had thousands of audience members clapping along.

Finally, Salim-Sulaiman — who’ve generously given themselves to the Jubilee Games by performing concerts, leading a workshop on the music industry, and composing the Jubilee Games’ theme song Believe — took the stage and nearly blew the roof off the hall.

While the colours of the dancers’ outfits and the backdrops were breathtaking in their variety, the athletes themselves were dressed the same. They entered the hall together — no longer separated by country.

Their message was clear: they had arrived in Dubai as teams, ready to compete with one another. In the end, they were a unified family standing as one.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

VIDEO: Closing Ceremony of the 2016 Jubilee Games - TheIsmaili.org

VIDEO: Closing Ceremony of the 2016 Jubilee Games

TheIsmaili.org

13 August 2016
The Closing Ceremony of the 2016 Jubilee Games took place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates on 29 July 2016. Watch the full event here.

https://www.theismaili.org/jubileegames ... ilee-games
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Tajikistan has won 10 gold medals at the sports games in Dubai

Shonavruz Afzalshoev

In Khorog held a welcoming ceremony and awarding of participants and winners of the "Jubilee of sports games, Dubai 2016", which took place in July 21-29 in Dubai and were devoted to the 50th anniversary of the ascension to the throne of the spiritual leader of the Ismaili world Aga Khan IV.

192 athletes from different regions of Tajikistan participated in this event. In general, the game was attended by 2000 athletes from 28 countries.

Tajik national team took the third place in the total number of medals won, participating in 9 of the 15 sports Ranked Among 18 teams. The first and second places were taken by teams of Canada and Pakistan.

Welcoming the participants of the Jubilee Games in recreation park of Khorog, the chairman of the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region Shodihon Jamshed expressed his admiration for the fact that the Tajik team was able to win 26 medals, including 10 gold, 10 silver and 6 bronze.

"10 times on these games was raised the flag and sounded the anthem of our country in honor of winners, that is an invaluable contribution of our athletes to increase the prestige of our Motherland in the eyes of the world community. Also, exhibitions and various cultural events, organized by our creative team, played a big role,"- said the head of the region.

Talking about the positive results of the Tajik government's cooperation with the Aga Khan Foundation structures in the socio-economic and cultural development areas, the head of the region emphasized the role of these games in unity, brotherhood and mutual understanding in our society.

"The aim of the Jubilee Games, above all, was a strengthening of friendship, unity and tolerance," - said Sh.Dzhamshed.

Congratulating and thanking the participants and winners of the Jubilee of sports games, the leadership of GBAO and Khorog city awarded them with certificates and cash prizes on behalf of Hukumat GBAO and Khorog.

In his speech, the Chairman of the Regional Council Highness Prince Aga Khan for GBAO Dilovar Butabekov thanked GBAO authorities for their assistance and facilitating the participation of athletes, volunteers and the creative team of the country in the Jubilee sports games.

"Jubilee Games in Dubai have become an event that brought together more than 15 thousand athletes, volunteers, artists and fans from 28 countries around the world. The games, since 25th of May, when the sports torch procession from Khorog to their venues begun, achieved their goals. A great merit in this belongs to all the participants of the games, and I, on behalf of the Regional Council of His Highness the Aga Khan for GBAO, thank and congratulate the athletes with a victory ", - said D. Butabekov.

Beknazar Mavlonazarov, the coach of the women's volleyball team, that took first place, said that female athletes have participated in competitions of such high level for the first time. "Winning is always given difficult. We were hardly preparing for all the matches and girls have made great efforts to win the gold, "- said B. Mavlonazarov.

Shavkat Edaliev, who took the first place in swimming, was training in Russia. "I'm 40 years old, so I was not quite sure that I could compete on an equal footing with younger game players. But it happened so that the enhanced training allowed me to participate in these prestigious competitions and win the first place "- he said.

The youngest participant of the Tajik team at the Games was a tennis player Marodbaht Gulmamadova, a second year student at Khorog State University.

"At first it was very difficult to play, because I did not know how strong my opponent is. But when I won my first fight, I felt confident in my abilities, and then I was able to beat strong rivals from Dubai, the United States and Canada", - said Marodbaht.

A 74-year-old marathon runner Ramadon Ramadonov from Ishkashim region of GBAO was specially marked, he ran a distance of 5 km and has received special attention of participants and Jubilee games in Dubai prize.

After the ceremony in honor of the winners of the Jubilee Games was held a concert in Khorog`s recreation park with the participation of famous artists of Gorno-Badakhshan.

http://news.tj/en/news/tajikistan-has-w ... ames-dubai