Books On Shia Islam

Books on Ismailism, reviews etc..
shivaathervedi_3

Books On Shia Islam

Post by shivaathervedi_3 »

BOOKS ON SHIA ISLAM:

These books seek to give a rational account of Shi'a theology in contrast with the Ash'ari, Mu'tazili and other theological schools of Islam. The contents of these books are taken from the 8th to the 13th century (2nd to 7th century of Islam).

Eteqadatal-Emamiya by Shaykh Saduq
Tashih al-I'tiqad by Shaykh Mufid, a correction of al-Saduq's I'tiqad by al-Mufid.
Tajrid al-i‘tiqad by Nasir al-Din Tusi (1201-1274)

These books seek to give a rational account of Shi'a theology in contrast with modern Western ideologies including Marxism and Liberalism during the 20th century.

Fundamentals Of Islamic Thought by Morteza Motahhari, trans. R. Campbell: Berkeley, California, Mizan Press, 1982
Nahj al-Balaghah by Imam Ali
Risalah al-Huquq by Imam Sajjad
Al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Imam Sajjad

Al Insan Al Noori by Allama Muhammad sadiq haideri
Al Insan Al Kamil by Allama Muhammad sadiq haideri
Noori kalam by Allama Muhammad sadiq haideri
Kitab al-Kafi of Kulayni (divided into Usul al-Kafi, Furu al-Kafi and Rawdat al-Kafi)
Man la Yahdhuruhu'l Faqih of Shaikh Saduq
Tahdhib al-Ahkam by Abu Ja'far al-Tusi
Al-Istibsar by Abu Ja'far al-Tusi
The Book of Sulaym ibn Qays —by Sulaym ibn Qays
Wasael ush-Shia — 1600s by Shaikh al-Hur al-Aamili. A 20 volume collection, meant to include all 'authentic' Hadith from the available Shia hadith books, checking their authenticity on the strict principles of Ilm-ur-Rajjal.
Mustadrak al-Wasael by Mirza Hussayn Nuri
Bihar al-Anwar — 1600s by Allama Majlesi. An encyclopedic, 100 volume collection, meant to include all Hadith current at the time of compilation as well as his opinions regarding their authenticity
Haqqul Yaqeen by Allama Majlisi
Mir'at-ul-Uqool fi Akhbar aal al-Rasul (Shahr Usul al-Kafi) — by Allama Majlesi
Ilal-Alshraiy — Shaikh Saduq
Hulyatul Mutaqeen — Allama Majlesi
Maeny Alakhbar — by Shaikh Saduq
Aamali — by Shaikh Saduq
Aamali — by Sheikh al-Mufid
Al-Khisal - by Shaikh Saduq
Uyun al Akhbar ar Reda - by Shaikh Saduq
Daim al-Islam - by Al-Qadi al-Nu'man
Ghurar al-Hikam wa Durar al-Kalim
Qalam-e-Mowla is a Nizari Ismaili Shi'a Muslim book that has speeches by the first Shi'a Imam, Ali. It is a poetic translation of Shi'i teachings into South Asian languages.

al-Sahifa al-Alawiya — prayers of 'Ali, the 1st Shi'a Imam.
al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya — 678-713 by Ali Zayn al-Abidin
Mafatih al-Jinan — collected by Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi.
Ahsan ul Aqayed — writer Alama Muhammad Qasim Zaidi

Tafsir al-Mizan — by Allamah Tabatabai
Al-Bayan Fi Tafsir al-Quran — by Ayatollah Abu Al-Qasim Al-Khoei
Al-Tibbyan Fi Tafsir al-Quran — by Al-Sheik Al-Tusi
Tafsir Al-Qummi — by Mohammad bin Ali bin Ibrahim Al-Qummi
Tafsir of Mujahid — by Abu al-Hajjaj Mujahid
Tafsir Majma' Al-Bayan by Shaykh Tabrasi
Al Kauthar fi Tafsir Al Quran by Sheikh Mohsin Ali Najafi

Tareekh-e-Islam Az-Quran(In Masnavi) By: Allama Dr.Syed Ali Imam Zaidi
“Gauhar Lucknavi”(Great Grand son of Mir Baber Ali Anees)

Restatement of History of Islam— by Sayed Ali Asgher Razwy
Tazkar-tul-Athar— by Sheikh al-Mufid
Kamaaluddin wa Tamamum ul Ne'amah— by Shaikh Saduq
Majalisul Momoneen— by Qazi Nurullah Shustari
Tareq-a-Shian-Ali— by Muhammad Hassan Rizvi
Zikrul-Hasan— by maulana Kausar Mujtaba Naqvi
Al Muraja'at by Abd al-Husayn Sharaf al-Din al-Musawi

Then I was Guided by Muhammad al-Tijani
The Shi'ah are (the real) Ahl al-Sunnah (book)by Muhammad al-Tijani
Ask Those Who Know (book) hammad al-Tijani
To be with the truthful (book) Muhammad al-Tijani
Saful Jali fe Munkiray Welyate Ali by Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri
Maktab Imamat and Khalafat by Murtaza Askari
Mujhe Raasta Mil Gaya by Mushtaq Karim
Ho Jao Sachcho Ke Saath by Mushtaq Karim

A Bundle of Flowers — a popular English language secondary collection of Shi'a hadith as collected by Ayatullah Sayyid Kamal Faghih Imani. It narrates traditions from such Shia collections as Man La Yahduruhul Faqih and Kitab al-Kafi.
A Shi'ah Anthology by William Chittick, Hossein Nasr, and Tabatabaei;
Imamate and Leadership
Fatemeh is Fatemeh
The Message (Subhani) by Ja'far Sobhani
Book of Fatimah by Fatimah, the daughter of Muhammad
Tawdih al-Masa'il by Ali al-Sistani

Expectation of the Millennium: Shi'ism in History by Seyyed Hossein Nasr.
Shi'ism Doctrines, Thought, and Spirituality by Seyyed Hossein Nasr.
Introduction to Shi'i Islam by Moojan Momen, Yale University Press.
An Introduction to Shi'i Law: A Bibliographical Study by Hossein Modarressi Tabataba'i (London 1984)
Shi'ite Identities: Community and Culture in Changing Social Contexts by Christoph Marcinkowski (Berlin 2010).
thatwhichis

Books

Post by thatwhichis »

Did any of these books answered your deep questions.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Good books are friends of human beings (not garbage and unethical), if some one is interested, want to gain knowledge, and know the language in which book was written.
Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to mankind, which are delivered down from generation to generation, as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn.
Addison.
The books mentioned above are written by saints, scholars, intellectuals, and men of letters. There is vast knowledge in these books to enlighten.
thatwhichis2

Post by thatwhichis2 »

I can see the usefulness of technical books such as how to build a home or a computer, etc. They can help teach you a skill which you can use.

"There is vast knowledge in these books to enlighten."

With regards to the non-technical knowledge, which I think you mean these books contain, can I ask a question, if so, please see below.

Can knowledge ever be complete or is it always incomplete in a non-technical sense?

If you can see that knowledge (non-technical) can be complete, then I can see why someone would continue to read these books. They would continue to read these types of books so that they can increase their knowledge to a point they have complete knowledge.

However, I wonder if that knowledge (non-technical) as something that can never be complete by seeing the fact that, that which is can not be measured, can not be explained, can never be contained in these so-called books, than maybe one can see the limitations of these books clearly.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

thatwhichis2 wrote:I can see the usefulness of technical books such as how to build a home or a computer, etc. They can help teach you a skill which you can use.

"There is vast knowledge in these books to enlighten."

With regards to the non-technical knowledge, which I think you mean these books contain, can I ask a question, if so, please see below.

Can knowledge ever be complete or is it always incomplete in a non-technical sense?

If you can see that knowledge (non-technical) can be complete, then I can see why someone would continue to read these books. They would continue to read these types of books so that they can increase their knowledge to a point they have complete knowledge.

However, I wonder if that knowledge (non-technical) as something that can never be complete by seeing the fact that, that which is can not be measured, can not be explained, can never be contained in these so-called books, than maybe one can see the limitations of these books clearly.
This blog is 'Ismaili.net'. The aim is to discuss Ismaili beliefs, doctrines, history, and related matters. This was the reason Shiva mentioned these valuable books.
No one can claim knowledge is complete. Life is for learning if some wants to, weather technical or non technical. Let me ask you, was modern technology available 5000/6000 years back. Brain has developed slowly. Modern youth is smarter than youths of 200 years back.
In learning any subject first comes will and interest. May be you are interested in technical knowledge where as some others are not.
Think about the IQ level of each human beings. This varies from man to man. One can understand algebra, and logarithm, others may not. In my opinion beliefs and facts go side by side. Once the fact was earth is center of universe now this fact changed, once it was fact that stars are rigid, now that fact changed. All heavenly bodies swim in universe. Those old facts changed to beliefs in old times and now modern facts and beliefs compromised.
You are talking about technical books which teach how to make computers or cars. 70 years back there were no computers, means 70/80 years old today is handicap to learn and use such type of technologies.
Knowledge always flourish, the old books are like light houses to guide and enhanced thinking power. 500 years back there were no printing machines still people wrote the valuable books for coming generations.
Also knowledge keep changing it is not constant ideas keep changing. Once aspirin was dangerous for heart, now it is claimed to be useful, now where the fact stands!!
mahebubchatur

Post by mahebubchatur »

swamidada wrote:
thatwhichis2 wrote: However, I wonder if that knowledge (non-technical) as something that can never be complete by seeing the fact that, that which is can not be measured, can not be explained, can never be contained in these so-called books, than
No one can claim knowledge is complete.
In the Quran Allah says creation & it’s continuity were perfected and completed. Therefore all the material and spiritual words are there, and so is our intellect. What we call a discovery is in fact a manifestation of what is there. We use less than 25% of our Brain materially. Imam says we must not think we discovered or created something - That is a manifestation a blessing. (Farman below) That also is for freewill - Allah knows and knows our Niyat - (purity of intent)**

Related Farmans
“One strength of Islam has always lain in its belief that creation is not static but continious, that through scientific and other endeavours, God has opened and continues to open new windows for us to see the marvels of His creation.”
- Imam Shah Karim al-Husayni Aga Khan IV
Karachi, Pakistan, March 16, 1983

“Well, from the moment that I am not willing to say that the faith of Islam is of a particular time, when I have to search within Islam what are the elements which allow me to interpret within the modern world and my interpretation is that Allah's message and His power is not limited.

And in fact that modern science simply allows us to discover more and more of the miracles that He has performed, perhaps continues to perform, and we are blessed with the faculty of intelligence. And I cannot understand why we would be blessed with that faculty unless we were mandated to use it."
His Highness the Aga Khan's 1989 All India TV and Radio Interview with Rajiv Mehrotra (India)

“as you prepare for the future, do not shun the technological era, but do not make the mistake of thinking that, that era is the creation of man"

‪#Ismaili ‬#AgaKhan #OneJamat

Niyat ** - https://www.facebook.com/IsmailiHeritage/posts/
/chatur-nyat.pdf