Converting to Ismaili tariqah

Past or Present customs and their evolution
ONiazi

Converting to Ismaili tariqah

Post by ONiazi »

Ya Ali madad!

What are the rites, ceremonies, rules, and procedures of converting to Ismailism?

Thanks!
shamsu

Conversion

Post by shamsu »

Mowla Aly Madad,

I do not know much about how to go about converting as most of the Ismailies I know were born into this faith.

Some of the things that I do know is that you will need a very clear and convincing reason that you can articulate well to the Commitee appointed for this work.

You will also have to memorize the Dua and know its meaning. I have included a link to a site that has this on audio.

http://sun.ismaili.net/~heritage/re/priere.html

Understanding the history of Ismailism and the Imams can only help.

I will try to talk to a friend whose Husband used to be in the commitee for new Ismailies.

Wish you all the best in your quest.

Ya Aly Madad

Shams
shamsu

Conversion

Post by shamsu »

Ya Aly Madad Oniazi,

I think the first step is to write a letter of Intent where you explain the reason you want to convert to Ismailism to the local Tariqah Board Chairman/Chairperson and then you should be called by someone to answer some questions and then you have your 1st interview where I think you meet with your personal Tutor who guides you in the study of the Faith of Ismailism. After that it is your naseeb.

Ya Aly Madad,

Shams
AliSeemab

Post by AliSeemab »

Ya Ali Madad<BR><BR>the matter to deal with to convert in ismaili is not covered in the constitution any o&shy;ne can read that rather the territorial council have vested the authority to solve these kind of issues.. and my friend mentioned that he knows ismailis are by birth .. i would like to put a quetion then why the oraganizations for the preaching of ismailism are working for it means its legitimate to convert any non-ismaili and if some o&shy;ne wishes yes with sloid grounds he must have been admitted.<BR><BR>Regards
alattar

Post by alattar »

I converted to ISlam in Yarkhun valley, Pakistan, which is an ismaeli land. Does it makes me an ismaeli?<BR><BR>Abdullah
ShamsB

no it doesn't

Post by ShamsB »

Having converted to Islam in an ismaili land doesn't make one an ismaili...
just like being born in europe or america doesn't make one white...
you have to take an oath swearing allegiance to the Aga Khan IV, the 49th historical Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims..you have to submit tan, man and dhan to the imam.
These days there is a declaration that needs to be signed..an oath..a legal document of sorts for adults to convert to ismailism...and this is before the training begins.

hope this helps.
unnalhaq

Re: Conversion

Post by unnalhaq »

shamsu wrote:Mowla Aly Madad,

I do not know much about how to go about converting as most of the Ismailies I know were born into this faith.

Shams
This may be a shock to everyone but no one is "born into this faith" I wish that some day (or may be it is out there but suppressed or not very well known farman) a farman will clear this once and for all. Ismaili faith is accepted; Just as Islam is accepted by an individual.
Yes shamsu is correct you need to submit a letter of intent to start with and once it is received you'll be contacted for an interview and then they'll give you forms to fill out and ask that you also give letters of references from Ismailis that you may know (I think they need min of 3 letters) don’t be surprised to see that the forms look like the US INS forms! Once the forms are received you'll be assigned a religious teacher who will go over most if not all aspects of the faith and you'll be asked to memorize the Du'a and the (summarized) meaning. I think the teacher will meet with you for 14 sessions and then you'll be meeting for the final interview and that time your reference letters must be submitted. At the conclusion of your final interview you'll be asked to recite the Dua in its entirety and may be asked for summarized meaning of one or two of the six parts of the Du'a. Once your last interview is over they will send your paper work to the National Tariqa Board and depending upon how much you push them it could take 1 to 3 days (if you are heavy hitter) to 6 weeks for final approval and then your teacher will arrange for the Biat with the Mukhi of the Jamet (usually before the prayer times). At the conclusion of the Jameti ceremonies during announcements you or your name will be announced as a newcomer to the Jamet. Also you’ll be asked to choose a Muslim name (just like as you would if you are Catholic for your confirmation).
Good luck and if you should have question feel free to ask here or PM.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

At the conclusion of the Jameti ceremonies during announcements you or your name will be announced as a newcomer to the Jamet.
Wow, never heard such announcements in my life. Must be interesting to hear such an announcement.
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

[quote="curious2"][quote]At the conclusion of the Jameti ceremonies during announcements you or your name will be announced as a newcomer to the Jamet.[/quote]

Wow, never heard such announcements in my life. Must be interesting to hear such an announcement.[/quote]

Curious

Of course there is an announcement in jk. I think curious you are a sunni from Patistan and not an ismail.
curious2

Post by curious2 »

sofiya wrote:
curious2 wrote:
At the conclusion of the Jameti ceremonies during announcements you or your name will be announced as a newcomer to the Jamet.
Wow, never heard such announcements in my life. Must be interesting to hear such an announcement.

Curious

Of course there is an announcement in jk. I think curious you are a sunni from Patistan and not an ismail.
Sofiya, why do you care what I am, Sunni, Shia Ismaili, why do you care? And what do I care what you think I am??

If there is an announcement of such kind then so what?? Did I say that above person is lying and no there is no such announcement?? No I didn't say that. Do you wish to debate me for the sake of debate?? Just tell me, I'll do it with some free time and I won't even care if you are a human or a machine.
sofiya

Post by sofiya »

[quote="curious2"][quote="sofiya"][quote="curious2"][quote]At the conclusion of the Jameti ceremonies during announcements you or your name will be announced as a newcomer to the Jamet.[/quote]

Wow, never heard such announcements in my life. Must be interesting to hear such an announcement.[/quote]

Curious

Of course there is an announcement in jk. I think curious you are a sunni from Patistan and not an ismail.[/quote]

Sofiya, why do you care what I am, Sunni, Shia Ismaili, why do you care? And what do I care what you think I am??

If there is an announcement of such kind then so what?? Did I say that above person is lying and no there is no such announcement?? No I didn't say that. Do you wish to debate me for the sake of debate?? Just tell me, I'll do it with some free time and I won't even care if you are a human or a machine.[/quote]

Curious

All I have to say to you is MIND YOUR LANGUAGE AND ALSO YOU HAVE AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM. DO NOT TELL ME NOW THAT, THAT TOO IS NOT YOUR FAULT AND THAT YOU WERE BORN WITH IT.

sofi
Debaj haider

Re: Converting to Ismaili tariqah

Post by Debaj haider »

I'm shia asnaashri, and i'm syed beleongs from imam jaffar sadiq (AS) generation. can anyone tell me aur help me to how i cnovert to shia ismaili. I read soo much about ismailism and i'm really impressed from them in the way they follow isalm.I'm from pakistan.can you help or guide me.