Nutrition and Food Related

Past or Present customs and their evolution
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

South Asian Fish Biryani Recipe | Desi~licious RD

Desi-liciously spiced with layers of fragrant basmati rice, grilled peppers and flaky masala haddock fillets, cooked in a tomatoey sauce infused with cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, and saffron to create a biryani recipe that’ll knock your socks off!

Home / Recipes / Desi (South Asian) / South Asian Fish Biryani Recipe | Desi~licious RD
South Asian Fish Biryani Recipe | Desi~licious RD
3 · By Shahzadi Devje · Dec 12, 2019 · Leave a Comment

Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Desi-liciously spiced with layers of fragrant basmati rice, grilled peppers and flaky masala haddock fillets, cooked in a tomatoey sauce infused with cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, and saffron to create a biryani recipe that’ll knock your socks off!

tray of south asian fish biryani with a cinnamon stick on top

Indeed, it’s royal-looking yet easy to pull off. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t super excited to share my desi-licious South Asian fish biryani.

Isn’t it perfect to start holiday celebrations?

This biryani recipe is such an elegant (and tasty!) creation – perfect for a large party or special, cozy family dinner. It also doesn’t require overnight soaking of any kind and is exquisitely seasoned! Just over an hour, and your sumptuous fish biryani is set to make its debut.

What Does Biryani Taste Like?

In short, it tastes heavenly. Biryani is a vibrant and flavourful Indian recipe. Typically Basmati rice is flavoured with exotic spices and then layered with either meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables – cooked in and a thick masala sauce. The dish is covered, and the biryani is either cooked over a low flame on in the oven.

There are many variations of the recipe, from ingredients used to the style of preparation. For instance, depending on the South Asian region, a biryani recipe may call for the lid to be secured with dough to help seal in the
flavours.

How To Make Fish Biryani Recipe – Step By Step

https://shahzadidevje.com/south-asian-f ... ni-recipe/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Desi-licious Coconut Shrimp Curry | Easy Ethnic Recipes

Are you looking for a protein-rich, flavour-packed meal and don’t have much time? This coconut shrimp curry can be on your table in literally 15 minutes. It’s elegantly spiced and insanely desi-licious. What can be faster, easier and more tasty than seafood?!

This coconut shrimp curry is the go-to recipe of choice when we’re strapped for time. Despite the fact I prefer white fish, this had me wanting more. The creamy coconut cream infused with curry powder and turmeric adds the perfect amount of spiciness. Although, if you’re like me and want an added oomph – you’ll want to add that red chilli!

This shrimp curry demonstrates that you don’t need to go overboard with a lot of ingredients. Less is more!

A few ingredients give this shrimp curry a burst of flavour while allowing the shrimp to shine.

Ingredients for Making Coconut Shrimp Curry
shrimp – MSC certified, cold water, pre-cooked, frozen
sunflower oil
sesame seeds
garlic – fresh cloves, crushed
coconut cream
turmeric powder
curry powder
sea salt
coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
lime juice – fresh
red chilli – finely chopped
Nutrition Highlights!
A serving provides a good amount of protein: 22 g
Shrimp tends to be naturally low in calories. One serving of this curry provides approximately 250 calories
This shrimp curry is low in carb
A 3-oz serving of shrimp provides almost 50% of your daily selenium requirement
Compared to other seafood, shrimp is higher in dietary cholesterol. However, it also contains antioxidants and healthy omega-3 fatty acids

How to Make Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry in 5 Easy Steps

https://shahzadidevje.com/coconut-shrimp-curry/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Mishkaki: The Ismaili Nutrition Centre

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_sMWepRFg
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant) | Healthy Ethnic Food Recipes

Easy, quick to prep and scrumptious. This Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant) is a sure pleaser for the entire family. Roasted eggplant cooked in aromatic South Asian spices, simmered in a thick tomato-pepper sauce and garnished with tangy lemon and cilantro. If you’re on the hunt for healthy desi recipes – with less oil, spices, and salt – this is it! Best enjoyed with roti, quinoa, or lettuce leaves. Vegan and gluten-free.

a bowl of baingan bharta topped with olives and chilli with lettuce leaves filled with baingan bharta (Indian eggplant recipe) withlettuce leaves filled with baingan bharta (Indian eggplant recipe) with lettuce leaves filled with bharta in the background
Baingan Bharta is one of our favorite South Asian recipes. It’s made by roasting eggplants until very soft. The skin is removed and the flesh is cooked with tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. A delicious roasted eggplant dish, that is simple and doesn’t use too many spices, salt or oil – perfect for family meals!

Is Baingan Bharta Healthy?
Eggplant, also known as aubergine, or Brinjal in Urdu, is a good source of soluble fiber; which can help to slow gastric emptying. This delays the absorption of sugar in your blood – thereby supporting blood sugar control. Being a non-starchy vegetable, eggplant is low in carbohydrates; one eggplant provides under 100 calories, less than 1 gram of fat, approximately 20 grams of carbohydrate (less than two slices of bread), a whopping 12.5 grams of fiber and about 4 g of protein. Eggplant also is cholesterol-free, contains almost no sodium, and ranks as a low glycemic food. You’ll notice that it has a tendency to soak up oil, so I love cooking it baigan bharta style – allowing you to be conservative with oil – without compromising on taste! Plus, with the addition of heaps of tomatoes and peppers and serve it with greens, makes this baingan bharta – nutrient-packed!

Is An Eggplant A Fruit Or Vegetable?
You may be surprised to hear that eggplant is actually a fruit. More specifically – a berry! Available all year round, it actually peaks between August-September.

How To Make Baingan Bharta – Step By Step and more...

https://shahzadidevje.com/baingan-bharta/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

15-Minute Easy Salad Recipe | Desi~licious RD

This could be your go-to easy salad recipe. Packed with a medley of fresh and crunchy ingredients like broccoli, kale, carrots, pomegranate and pumpkin seeds – super nourishing and YUMMY! Tossed in a tangy dressing, that’s the perfect match.

This homemade raw green salad is quite something; refreshing, crunchy, tangy and sure to satisfy your salad cravings!

In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make this easy salad recipe entirely from scratch, so you’ll have control over every Desi~licious flavour! It’s quick to pull off, versatile, and pairs really well with South Asian Fish Biryani, Tomato Soup, and Black Bean Kebabs. If you’re after more ethnic South Asian recipes to accompany this tasty salad, here are a bunch.

How To Make This Easy Salad Recipe – Step By Step

https://shahzadidevje.com/15-minute-easy-salad-recipe/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Desi~licious Masala Egg Oatmeal Breakfast | Easy Ethnic Recipes

Looking for easy and healthy breakfast ideas? Take your oatmeal to the next level with my savoury Masala Oatmeal Breakfast recipe – featuring eggs. It’s the ultimate busy-bee brekkie, bursting with nourishing heart-healthy ingredients. A creamy, rich amalgamation of rolled oats, onion, peas and tomatoes. All mixed with eggs, chillies and cilantro, and infused with traditional South Asian spices to create a spicy and Desi~licious breakfast.

No need to get frazzled by hectic mornings. This Egg Oatmeal Breakfast is satisfying, super easy to whip up, and you could even prep it the night before. It’s the ideal grab and go breakfast. Plus, I’m thinking, why stick to boring plain porridge, when you can have something EXTRA special.

Heaven knows, February calls for warm, hearty bowls of nourishing goodness to get us through this winter. I admit it: there’s nothing like a cozy bowl of oatmeal to make me feel like I can take on the world. I love savoury breakfast ideas with eggs, and this is one of my favourites when I don’t have much time, craving South Asian ethnic flavours and want to keep things nutritious. Well, it is heart month, after all! This oatmeal breakfast is perfectly spiced, and I feel like a queen digging in 🙂

How To Make Masala Egg Oatmeal Breakfast – Step By Step

https://shahzadidevje.com/desilicious-m ... breakfast/
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Hi Karim,

Bananas are sweet and popular. But are they good for you? And are they ethical and sustainable?

Here’s what you need to know about bananas.

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/are-ban ... &lastname=

Yours for healthy fruits,

Ocean Robbins

P.S. Studies tell us that bananas could be good for your heart, mood, digestion, bones, and weight maintenance. And they might even have anticancer properties. Get the whole story here.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Hi Karim,

Are eggs healthy to eat? Can they be produced ethically? And are they sustainable?

Here’s what you need to know about eggs.
https://foodrevolution.org/blog/are-egg ... &lastname=

Yours for facts and wellness,

Ocean Robbins

P.S. Chicken eggs are controversial. Some people call them a superfood, while others say they contribute to disease. Some people say they are an ethical and environmental disaster, while others say that, done right, they can be kind to chickens and good for the planet. What’s the truth? Find out here.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Intermittent fasting 101 - PART ONE

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apw17NM ... e=emb_logo

Intermittent Fasting 101- CLICK 👉🏻 https://shahzadidevje.com/how-to-do-i...

If you're wondering how to do intermittent fasting right, then today's video is for you. Registered Dietitian, Shahzadi, discusses time this form of restricted eating and delves specifically into intermittent fasting - for beginners.

Shahzadi is frequently asked what intermittent fasting actually is, how to lose weight with it, and does it fall under the banner of healthy diets. You may even be wondering whether intermittent fasting is safe and effective? In this intermittent fasting review part 1, Shahzadi walks you through some important aspects of this diet: how intermittent fasting works, what its protocols are (for example the 5:2 method), what eating principals are laid out, and then sheds light on whether it’s worth trying. Get all the tips for fasting here in this intermittent fasting guide.

Intermittent Fasting 101: Topics Shahzadi covers in this Youtube video

⓵ What is intermittent fasting?
⓶ Three types of intermittent fasting
⓷ Why is intermittent fasting popular?

Of course, like most other diets, intermittent fasting also comes with its fair share of claims and isn’t an exception to the rule! Some of these boast several benefits such as weight loss, increased muscle mass, better blood sugar control, decreased inflammation, higher metabolism, reduced risk of certain chronic diseases such as diabetes type 2, prediabetes and cardiovascular disease, and even longer life!
But here’s the thing: do these claims hold up to scientific scrutiny? To find out the answer to this question and more, don’t forget to tune in next week for PART 2 of intermittent fasting!
kmaherali

Gut Healing Foods: The Comprehensive Guide to a Happy Gut

Post by kmaherali »

Gut Healing Foods: The Comprehensive Guide to a Happy Gut

Medically reviewed by Shahzadi Devje, Registered Dietitian (RD) & Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)

Learn all about the importance of gut health and how you can improve it naturally in this comprehensive guide. I include a list of gut healing foods — and the foods to consider avoiding — to begin the process of healing your gut. Plus, I share an easy recipe for fermented vegetables, too!

Contents

- Signs of leaky gut
- Is leaky gut scientifically proven?
- What is the main cause of leaky gut?
- The gut and immune system are at the core of a leaky gut
- How to improve gut health naturally - gut healing foods list
- How do I get a happy gut?
- Does sugar irritate the gut?
- What other foods negatively affect gut health?
- Gut bacteria and mental health
- Is diabetes related to a leaky gut?
- Final thoughts

More...

https://shahzadidevje.com/foods-that-he ... ut-health/
kmaherali

Curries

Post by kmaherali »

Hi karim,

Around the world, curries are beloved for their fragrant, spicy flavors.

They’re good for you, too! In fact, some of the spices used in curries are among the healthiest foods on the planet — helping to bring down inflammation, boost memory, balance blood sugar, and improve digestion.

So what, exactly, is a curry? Where do curries come from? And how can you successfully bring these flavorful culinary and nutritional superstars into your kitchen?

Get the whole curry story (and some fabulous recipes!) right here https://foodrevolution.org/blog/what-is ... 241&jb=405 .

Yours for healthy foods that taste amazing,

Ocean Robbins

P.S. A curry can be a mixture of spices, or it can be a dish. And it can open your world to new culinary experiences that your whole family will love. Like Curry Tofu Breakfast Burritos. Thai Almond Chickpea Curry. Sweet Red Lentil Curry. And so much more! Get it all right here https://foodrevolution.org/blog/what-is ... 241&jb=405 .