Why Khojki Script Was Discontinued

Many Ismaili documents have been preserved thanks to this secret scripts of the Ismailis.
aatimaram

Why Khojki Script Was Discontinued

Post by aatimaram »

WHY KHOJKI SCRIPT WAS DISCONTINUED AND ON WHOSE ORDERS:

In early 80's 'Sindhi Chalee Akhri' i.e Khojki script was discontinued from Ismaili horizon. It wasn't on Hidayat of Imam but few influential officials of ITREB Pak decided to discontinue the script. These officials killed our Heritage. Hazar Imam's Hidayat is to stay attached with your Heritage. The vague and invalid argument given was " Ismaili school children are already burdened with books and home work from secular schools, so we do not want to burden them more". Were children not attending schools before termination of Khojki, there were no complaints from parents or children themselves. May be some high society and wealthy parents had. What about senior Ismailis who wrote and read khojki Ginans and religious literature or our business persons who kept their accounts in Khojki.. There was backlash from Pak jamaits, 95% jamaits rejected that idea, but these influential leaders were successful in killing Khojki. They disrespected script given by Pir Sadardin, which has been highly respected and appreciated by Sindhi writers till today, there is an important place for Pir Sadardin in Sindhi literature for his Sindhi khojki script and Sindhi Ginans, there were hundreds but lost. Khojki script is an easy tool for transliteration of other languages particularly subcontinent languages. After 10/12 years, the following batch of leadership realized the blunder and a primary reader was composed by Late missionary Nooruddin Bukhsh only meant for higher RC students. But damage was done.
One of the main reason for termination of script was the biased attitude of Karachi leadership to Sindhi language as I learnt, because Khojki originally was called 'Sindhi Chalee Akhri'. I do not want to go in details for the harmony of community. Our discipline teaches us do not criticize leadership as Imam Said, then what is the way out?
budhwanih1960

Re: Why Khojki Script Was Discontinued

Post by budhwanih1960 »

YAALI MADAD
I totally agree with what you have described above as a matter of fact I know who was ITREB LEAD PERSON WAS, STARTED this programme eliminating KHOJKI FROM SILABUSS
I was teacher in Aminabad REC and we raised little voice but was not strong enough I do admit that for being first year in teaching did not have much strength.
INSTEAD OF Naming and blaming how about bringing it back for interested jamatiMember.
very close to gujrati script and does not take much to equire.
LET SEE WHAT KIND OF RESPONCE WE GET IN THIS MATTER.
Admin

Post by Admin »

There are several tutorial for lerning Khojki, the latest is:

https://ismaili.net/Source/zawahir-khojki-primer.pdf

MOre: viewtopic.php?t=9046
Aarav

Post by Aarav »

Admin wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:56 pm There are several tutorial for lerning Khojki, the latest is:

https://ismaili.net/Source/zawahir-khojki-primer.pdf

MOre: viewtopic.php?t=9046
Exciting! Where can I find the latest Khojki tutorial?