Ismaili Constitution, Institutional and Historical docs
mahebubchatur

1986 constitution

Post by mahebubchatur »

A copy of the constitution 1986
http://www.ismaili.net/Source/extra1.html

The amended constitution ordained in 1998 & related information

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... 8400#68400
Last edited by mahebubchatur on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahebubchatur

An article on the 1986 constitution

Post by mahebubchatur »

When reading and studying the Ismaili Constitution, is critical to bear in mind the following.

1. It was ordained by the Imam, for the governance of and by the community for the primary benefit of the community (It is a Farman)
2. Imam e Zaman and his divine authority is Separate, and is above and beyond the constitution & it’s Governance.
3. Imams guidance is Imam’s Talim and Tawil of & from Quran. This is given in Farmans & the constitution is also a Farman
4. Imam says the constitution is to be given freely to all Ismailis and read with Farmans. A must for Ismaili Muslims.

Link to more details & where does Imams authority come from
http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... pic&t=9224

(Ismaili Scholar/Waezeen)

A full set of the Ismaili constitution and the constitutional rules and regulations have not been provided by the community Leadership, in control , despite directions of His Highness the Aga Khan - Imam, and repeated requests from members of the community. A response and reasons are still awaited. (2021)

January 2019

Further requests have been made for access- copy of the full set - This has not been provided or reasons given why this is not being given to even members of the community who are also the donors & beneficiaries November 2021
Last edited by mahebubchatur on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
mahebubchatur

An article on the 1986 constitution

Post by mahebubchatur »

" ISMAILI CONSTITUTION " .... Part-(2)

" The New Constitution of 1986 "

The Ismailis are spread in all over the world in different culture and society, and a need arose to ordain one universal Constitution applicable in common for all the Ismailis to improve the organizational structure of the institutions.

In March, 1964, the Imam formed a Constitution Review Committee (CRC) under Wazir Anil Ishani (Convenor) with the members, Wazir Mohammad Jaffar, Wazir Ashiqali Hussain, Wazir Abdul Mohammad Furniturewala, Wazir Amirali Rahimtoola, Wazir Zaher Ahmed, Wazir Amir Bhatia, Wazir Zool Nimji and Huzur Mukhi Mahmood Ahmed.

The CRC started its working in April, 1984 with a number of field visits in different countries.

It submitted reports of its working regularly to the Imam after firs discussing them with the jamati leaders and group of the Imam's secretariat at Aiglemont.

CRC had ten meetings with the Imam, culminating on December 13, 1986, the 50th Salgirah of the Imam with the ordaining ceremony at Merimont, Imam's secretariat in Geneva.

The members of the Imam's family, including Begum Salimah, Princess Tajudawla, Mata Salamat, Prince Amyn Muhammad and Princess Zahra were present in Geneva during this historical ceremony.

The members of CRC and those members from the secretariat at Aiglemont also participated. At 11.00 a.m., the Imam ordained, signed and sealed The Constitution of the Shi'a Imami Ismaili Muslims.

Before the ceremony, the Imam sent his message to the jamat on December 10, 1986, and said, "On the 13th December, I will ordain a new Ismaili Constitution, which will be known as The Constitution of the Shi'a Imami Ismaili Muslims.

The Ismaili Constitution will be applicable throughout the world, linking all members of my jamat wherever they are to the Imamate.

Islam is a community of faith and throughout the 1400 years of our history, our jamat has lived by the rules and practice of our tariqah as a frontierless brotherhood of men and women.

The permanent bond, linking the murid to the Imam and subsisting irrespective of the geographical location of the individual murid, has been and will continue to remain the cornerstone of our jamat's identity.

In our tariqah, the Imam of the Time has always concerned himself with the spiritual advancement as well as with the improvement of the quality of life of the jamat.

In this century, in accordance with the needs of the time, my grandfather gave during his Imamate, and I have given in the past 30 years, Constitutions to the jamat in different areas of the world.

The ordaining of this Constitution has been preceded by detailed examination of the existing separate Constitutions of the jamat, all of which will be superseded, when the Rules and Regulations applicable to the respective countries come into force.

I have recognized that in view of the change in the demography of the jamat, it is necessary to establish new councils and for the same reason to discontinue others.

This has been done. In providing the new Constitutional structure, I have also taken account of recent significant developments, such as the increasingly international dimension of the jamat's settlement and especially my aspiration for the jamat to play an even more active part than in the past in the mainstream of life in the societies in which it lives."

The Imam also said, "It is my belief that the Ismaili Constitution will provide a strong institutional and organizational framework through which my jamat will be able to contribute to the harmonies development of the ummah and of the societies in which the jamat lives."

Besides, the Imam said, "The Ismaili Constitution recognizes and addresses many of the jamat's present and future needs, but it is to be expected that some adjustment will need to be made in the practical application of the Constitution to meet local circumstances.

These adjustment will be made on a case by case basis, in the rules and regulations which will be provided in respect of each country.

I am confident that the Ismaili Constitution will give stronger integrated identity to my jamat worldwide, and that in abiding by it in letter and spirit, the jamat will achieve greater peace, unity, happiness, security and well-being."

The New Constitution is a single unified paramount constitution, which applies to all Ismailis wherever domiciled or resident and superseded constitutions applicable to Ismailis in different countries.

The jamat in individual countries, however, have their own rules and regulations by virtue of the Constitution, which makes detailed provisions for their governance and their institutions.

The Preamble to the new Constitution affirms all the fundamental Islamic beliefs and then clearly focuses on the doctrine of the Imamate.

It sets out the essence of the Ismaili beliefs as Shi'a Imami Ismaili Muslims who affirm the Shahadah and that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him) is the last and final Prophet of God, and that Islam, as revealed in the Koran, is the final message of God to mankind, and is universal and eternal.

The Preamble states the authority of the Imam in the Ismaili tariqah and that allegiance to the Imam unites all Ismaili Muslims worldwide in their loyalty, devotion and obedience to the Imam within the Islamic concept of universal brotherhood.

It further states that from the time of Ali bin Abu Talib, the Imams have given rules of conduct and constitutions in conformity with the Islamic concepts of unity, brotherhood, justice, tolerance and goodwill.

The hierarchical administrative system of councils is somewhat simplified in the Constitution of 1986, which envisages a uniform system of councils for a selection of the Ismaili territories in the Eastern and Western hemispheres of the world.

Taking account of the fact that large number of the Ismailis have immigrated during the last two decades to Europe, Canada and Unites States as well as to the Persian Gulf region, the new Constitution has established the council system for a number of these newly founded Ismaili communities in addition to modifying the system for several communities in the traditional abodes of the Ismailis in Asia and Africa.

The particular Ismaili communities having the council system under the new Constitution are located in 14 territories, including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Singapore, the Gulf Co-operation Council Countries (i.e., Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates), Syria, the Malagasy Republic, Kenya, Tanzania, France, Portugal, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.

In each of these fourteen territories, a National Council will direct and supervise the affairs of a network of Regional and Local Councils.

The jurisdiction of each National Council may be extended to geographical areas where the jamats do not have their own council system.

The administrative system of the councils has not been extended to several countries and regions of the Near East and Asia, such as Persia, Afghanistan, and the upper Oxus region, where scattered Ismaili jamats exist; while the Syrian jamat acquired the council system only under the terms

Reference :-

Book, " ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF ISMAILISM " Page no.254-255.

BY :- ALWAEZ RAI SAHEB MUMTAZ ALI TAJDDIN SADIK ALI.

mumtaztajddin@yahoo.com.

( National Tariqah and Religious Board for Pakistan,Karachi).

[][][][][

Edited by :-

Mohammad Ali Samnani, Attorney at law of High Court,
Hon.Missionary, Instructor of Higher Religious Course. Main 11 religions of the world.... Houston, Texas, U.S.A...

[][][][][][

22 January 2019
mahebubchatur

Holy Talika from Imam on ordaining this constitution

Post by mahebubchatur »

Holy Talika upon the ordainment of the 1986 Constitution

Dec 10, 1986

The President and Members,
His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami
Ismailia Council for Canada,
Burnaby, Canada.

My Dear President and Members,

On the 13th of December, I will ordain a new Ismaili Constitution which will be known as "The Constitution of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims". The Ismaili constitution will be applicable throughout the world, linking all members of My Jamat wherever they are to the Imamat. Islam is a community of faith and throughout the 1400 years of our history, our Jamat has lived by the rules and practice of our Tariqah as a frontierless brotherhood of men and women. The permanent bond, linking the Murid to the Imam and subsisting irrespective of the geographical location of the individual Murid, has been and will continue to remain the cornerstone of our Jamat's identity.

In our Tariqah, the Imam of the Time has always concerned Himself with the spiritual advancement as well as with the improvement of the quality of life of the Jamat. In this century, in accordance with the needs of the time, My grandfather gave during His imamat, and I have given in the past 30 years, constitutions to the Jamat in different areas of the world.

The ordaining of this constitution has been preceded by detailed examination of the existing separate constitutions of the Jamat, all of which will be superseded, when the Rules and Regulations applicable to the respective countries come into force. I have recognized that in view of the change in the demography of the Jamat, it is necessary to establish new councils and for the same reason to discontinue others. This has been done. In providing the new constitutional structure, I have also taken account of recent significant developments such as the increasingly international dimension of the Jamat's settlement, and especially My aspiration for the Jamat to play an even more active part than in the past in the mainstream of life in the societies in which it lives.

The institutions established during My grandfather's Imamat have changed with the times, as is right, and are increasingly being recognized as significant forces for national and international development. In recent decades, I have Myself established institutions with international dimensions. The Aga Khan Foundation applies its resources to resolving selected key problems of development in the fields of health, education and rural development. The Aga Khan University, a centre for higher learning intends to serve internationally, and to maintain the highest educational standards and to achieve demonstrable excellence. The Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development fosters and supports economic development in many countries. Finally, The Aga Khan Trust for Culture which should be constituted formally within the coming months will be dedicated to supporting and promoting Islamic Culture.

It is My belief that the Ismaili Constitution will provide a strong institutional and organizational framework through which My Jamat will be able to contribute to the harmonious development of the Ummah and of the societies in which the Jamat lives. All the institutions operating directly under the Ismaili Constitution as well as the four, the Foundation, the Fund, the University and the Trust which exist independently will, I hope, build meaningful linkages so that together they and their respective as well as mutual programmes may have a significant impact on the development of my Jamat in the years to come.

The progress achieved by our institutions to date is due, in a significant measure, to the support they have received from the Jamat's voluntary workers. This voluntary service is one of our most ancient and noble traditions and it is My particular desire that this tradition be cherished, maintained and reinforced. At the same time, I believe that by the very nature of life, there is a continuing need for professionalization and enlightened leadership at all levels in all our activities. To meet this need, it has been My concern over the past many years to ensure that leadership potential within the Jamat be properly identified, fostered and encouraged to come forward to serve. It is My constant and intense wish that the professional talent within the Jamat be harnessed and that the voluntary workers as well as those who are remunerated within our institutions should provide mutual reinforcement and support. It is, therefore, My hope that the Ismaili Constitution will become an enabling document for all My spiritual children for an active role in institution building, for creative application of their abilities, for personal development and for intellectual and spiritual satisfaction.

The Ismaili Constitution recognizes and addresses many of the Jamat's present and future needs, but it is to be expected that some adjustment will need to be made in the practical application of the Constitution to meet local circumstances. These adjustments will be made on a case by case basis, in the Rules and Regulations which will be provided in respect of each country.

It is My desire that the new appointment for the councils and other institutions should be made under the Ismaili Constitution and I have given directives to this effect. Until such time as the new appointments are made, the office bearers under the present constitutions will continue to hold their respective offices.

I am confident that the Ismaili Constitution will give stronger integrated identity to My Jamat worldwide, and that in abiding by it in letter and spirit, the Jamat will achieve greater peace, unity, happiness, security and well-being.

On this most happy occasion, I send My warmest and most affectionate paternal maternal loving blessings to all the beloved spiritual children of My Canada Jamat. You are all particularly in My heart and thoughts and prayers.

Your affectionately,

AGA KHAN.
mahebubchatur

All documents which form a part of the full constitution

Post by mahebubchatur »

The following is a list of the documents which form a part of the full Ismaili constitution. A further request for copies has been made to the Leaders with a request for confirmation or clarification

1. The global constitution ordained in December 1986 & all the amendments and all new or further instruments ordained (like e.g. in 1998, and in Lisbon in 2018)

2. The constitutional rules and regulations for each of the 20 National & their regional jurisdictions, with all the amendments to date

3. The constitutional rules, set up, and all amendments, of all the entities in, & under the constitution.

4. All Farmans after December 1986 - The constitution is to be read with all Farmans after that date according to Hazar Imam.

5. All the constitutional reports of all the constitutional entities since 1986 to date

6. All the constitutions before 1986 and all Farmans (for reference clarity completeness & research)

7. All constitutional rulings given by NCABS and ICAB on disputes “adjudicated” by them, abd all the related rules and regulations

8. All Ismaili constitutional rulings by the courts in any of the countries - The Ismaili constitution is under & respects the laws of the Land. The courts are a last resort says Hazar Imam.

Every Ismaili, and Board Member of every entity should have full access to these, in order to understand, verify & correctly comply & discharge their mandate & or duties (under the constitution & continued Farmans - guidance and directions from Imam - His Highness The Aga Khan)
mahebubchatur

A video clip of ordaining in 1986 & 1998

Post by mahebubchatur »

A video clip and a summary by the Ismaili community entities of when the constitution was ordained in 1986, and of changes in 1998. The full constitution and copies of all changes have been requested but not provided so far.
Link https://youtu.be/ILHnZlp0u5o

The 1998 constitution- copy and related information & news http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=