Changes in our religion thru ages

Discussion on R&R from all regions
Haysal

Changes in our religion thru ages

Post by Haysal »

The traditional five pillars of Islam namely: Shahadah, Namaz, Zakat, ramadan, hajj is practiced . Also other customs like doing wajoo and azaan, saying salaam etc. are practiced. My question is when and how did we (Ismailis) move away from these and bring in the changes to the traditional Islamic rituals Obviously these changes did not happen overnight and our forefathers followed them earlier. It must have happened gradually thru ages. Any documentation as to when and why and how we moved from the original tradition and rituals to what we now follow
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

According to the Ismaili outlook, Sharia is evolving and it changes according to times. Below is the information about a book published recently by the IIS on Sharia.

Video: Understanding Sharia: Islamic Law in a Globalised World

https://the.ismaili/news/video-understa ... ised-world

The Ismaili Centre London hosted a reception and launch event last month for the newly released book Understanding Sharia: Islamic Law in a Globalised World published by I.B. Tauris in association with The Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS). The book encourages new thinking about the history of sharia and its role in the world today.

Based on years of research, the publication has been written by Raficq S. Adbulla and Dr Mohamed M. Keshavjee, both British trained and qualified lawyers. Although the authors claim that this is not an academic book, as it is easily accessible to read, it is an academic and timely piece of research.

The authors suggest that Islamic Law and jurisprudence are neither an exclusive legal system nor a fixed set of beliefs. Instead, the book proposes that sharia is underpinned by ethical principles, and is open to change depending on context and circumstance. As such, the authors encourage new thinking about the history of sharia and its role in the world today.

The numerous themes covered in the book include the historical development, geographical expansion, and multiple manifestations of sharia, as well as a commentary on modern topics of relevance such as human rights, gender considerations, and criminal justice in the context of Islamic Law. Understanding Sharia: Islamic Law in a Globalised World addresses the gaps in our knowledge of sharia.

Their publication has been endorsed by academics of various fields and theologians of different religions; Christian, Jewish, and Muslim alike. The book launch event at the Ismaili Centre London took the form of a conversation with the authors, moderated by Russell Harris, an accomplished writer and translator, who also edited the book.

https://the.ismaili/news/video-understa ... ised-world
swamidada_1

Post by swamidada_1 »

To kmaherali;

With reference to the title of thread i.e "Changes in our religion thru ages", will you explain what main changes accord in Ismaili concepts through out 1400 years of our history?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

As MHI said in his GJ Talika Farman of 2008, our faith is a complementarity between the Sharia practice common to all Muslims and the Tariqah practices specific to our Tariqah.

The changes in the Sharia practices through history and geography have been covered in the book that I alluded to above. One example is the introduction to our Namaz which will happen sometime I hope. The changes in Tariqah practices would have been ongoing depending on changing historical and cultural contexts throughout history. For example just last century there was a change in Dua.
swamidada_1

Post by swamidada_1 »

What about concepts or basic Tenets?
No doubt Shariah is changed since time of Prophet Adam. For example at time of Prophet Adam the marriage in between brother and sister was allowed. After few thousands years that part of Shariah was abolished. At time of Prophet Moses marriage with two sisters were allowed. At time of Prophet Muhammad this custom was discontinued but Quran gave permission marry 4. Now a days in Ismailism only one is allowed polygamy is discouraged. Same Shariah change is applied to Namaz/Salat/Dua. It is interesting to note what you wrote;

"The changes in the Sharia practices through history and geography have been covered in the book that I alluded to above. One example is the introduction to our Namaz which will happen sometime I hope".

I am under lining your sentence 'our Namaz which will happen soon'. Is it a newspaper head line or practically it is going to happen? What is your source of information?
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: I am under lining your sentence 'our Namaz which will happen soon'. Is it a newspaper head line or practically it is going to happen? What is your source of information?
This was in the GJ Talika Farman:

"It is also in this context that I have instructed my institutions to make available to the Jamat globally, within the next year or so, a formal, uniform text of Shia Imami Ismaili Namaz that I will have approved."
swamidada_1

Post by swamidada_1 »

kmaherali wrote:
swamidada wrote: I am under lining your sentence 'our Namaz which will happen soon'. Is it a newspaper head line or practically it is going to happen? What is your source of information?
This was in the GJ Talika Farman:

"It is also in this context that I have instructed my institutions to make available to the Jamat globally, within the next year or so, a formal, uniform text of Shia Imami Ismaili Namaz that I will have approved."
Imam approved the Namaz and asked 'The Institution' to implement 11 years ago. But then what!! Institution is still sleeping. Few years back I learnt that there is a strong lobby of leadership who is resisting the Namaz. Let me quote a Farman which you know well. Imam said;
" that leaders are not telling the jamaits what Imam is telling them to tell the jamaits".
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

yes i remember Mowla baapa in his farman stating specifically that namaz would happen in a year or so! then what happened? why is mowla baapa word not kept?