Non ismails not allowed in Jamatkhanas

Activities in your jamats including posting of announcements
Haysal

Non ismails not allowed in Jamatkhanas

Post by Haysal »

why are non ismailis not allowed to enter jamatkhana and witness the prayers?

My non ismaili friends want to come and witness , hear, observe our prayers in our jamatkhanas. I feel if they come and see then they will get imaan. Should we not encourage all humankind to follow our true path ? Publicly we are known as a secretive cult who are not even followers of Islam.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There has been discussion on this matter at:

Non-Ismailis and Didar

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... at%20khana

In one of the GJ Padhramnis, MHI met with non-Ismailis and told them that the ceremonies are meant for Ismailis only. However non-Ismilis spouses can participate in all other communal activities including our institutions.
Haysal

Post by Haysal »

I went through the old discussions link but I am not convinced. Islam is for all humankind - so should be Ismailism too ---right? How can we expect the humankind to benefit if we have a close door policy? We are not selling some secret formula ---we are talking of spiritual well being of humankind --- whether the non Ismailis believe or not -" there is no compulsion in religion. --Quran --- Surah Baqara 2:256 ---meaning, "Do not force anyone to become Muslim, - Would we not be rewarded if could change at one human on the true path?? we can only do that if we open our doors and communication to all humankind. We are labeled as some secret cult! Aren't we selfish if we don't share with the world what we have? As I grow older I am realizing that our religion has no transparency.
Admin

Post by Admin »

A jamatkhana is not a place of tourism or to fulfill one's curiosity.

Nor is a Jamatkhana a Church or a Mosque.

Again to repeat, we Ismaili can go to Mosque because we believe in Allah, we can go to Church because we believe that Jesus is our Prophet , we can go to Synagogue etc..

Jamatkhana is Imam's home.

People who do not believe in Hazar Imam and are not part of our Jamat have nothing to do in JK. Let them go to places where they have their beliefs and where they will not feel uncomfortable to go.

Jamatkhana is the House of Imam-e-Zaman, let the people who believe in Imam-e-Zaman come in peace to a place where they trust the owner of the place.

Publicly we are known to be a decent community who does not engage in useless controversies with other faiths and who help society at large and the progress of mankind. regardless of their background. All educated well informed non Ismailis that I know would wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Haysal wrote: Islam is for all humankind - so should be Ismailism too ---right? How can we expect the humankind to benefit if we have a close door policy?
There is a difference between an exoteric tradition and an esoteric tradition. The exoteric tradition deals with the outward aspects of faith and all Muslims participate in it. The esoteric tradition is meant for only those who are prepared for the understanding of the inner aspects of faith and who have accepted discipleship of a Mursheed - the Imam in the case of Ismailis. Hence Ismailism like other Sufi traditions cannot be for everyone. That does not mean that we a closed door policy, we are open for only those who are serious in their search and have accepted Imamat.

The humanity benefits from our actions which stem from our enlightened beliefs. For example all our institutions such as the AKU and the IIS benefit humanity
mahebubchatur

When can Non Ismailis attend ?

Post by mahebubchatur »

When are non Ismailis not allowed in Jamat Khanna (prayer Hall)

The Jamat Khanna prayer hall today is used for Ismaili congregational prayers. During these congregational prayers non Ismailis are not allowed.

However at all other times the Jamat Khanna is and can be used for following when non Ismailis are allowed & do attend.

For example

1. weddings
2. classes in many countries - areas
3. conferences and meetings etc (see video below)
4. Tours for non Ismailis (e.g.Ismaili centres globally)
5. Where Jamat Khannas are small / for example during Deedars - The congregational prayers are held outside in open grounds. That acts as a Jamat Khanna fir that congregational prayer. Non Ismailis have attended - Ismaili congregational prayers are recited there. (Before 1957, after and even during Diamond Jubilee)
6. In July 2018, the President of Portugal attended the holy religious Deedar congregation - http://ismaili.net/source/chatur-chrono ... rayers.pdf

Hazar Imam has also asked all Ismailis to understand and demystify our faith, by explaining and not hide their faith and practices. (This is a diamond Jubilee Goal)

There is no reason of Farmans for secrecy , also as the Ismaili congregational prayers are available and posted online even by the Ismaili Leadership, (who were blocking these in the past)

“I request that you view the Ismaili Jamatkhana and Center, Houston, as much, much more than a place of congregation, and a home for administrative offices. “ A Jamat Khanna “should reflect who we are in terms of our beliefs, our cultural heritage and our relation to the needs and contexts in which we live in today’s world” (Hazar Imam Firman AgaKhan)

More at
https://www.iis.ac.uk/muslim-spaces-piety-and-worship
&
ITREB USA -Video https://youtu.be/iYz7rxXMnwY