Parents

Current issues, news and ethics
InaaraK

Parents

Post by InaaraK »

I am an Ismaili and want to marry a boy, he is not an Ismaili but my parents are not agreeing. They are insisting he has to convert and our kids should follow Ismaili faith. The boy i am wanting to marry is a practising Muslim and i am ok with this. His parents have given us blessings and have not asked me to convert. Though I am of legal age and can marry , The boy insists that he will not marry me till my parents give us blessings. Its been 3 years now and my parents show no sign of relenting. What should I do? Is there any farman where MHI says that the children can marry anyone they wish and parents should agree to this and not be unreasonable.
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

There is no such Farman. In Islam marriage is a contract and conditional. Quran says obey your parents except shirk. Parents always think better for their children. Imam Sultan Muhammad shah's Farmans also indicate to obey parents. In your situation think about pros and cons of such marriage where parents and relatives are not involved. Parent's blessings are must. Your boy friend is right and looks well disciplined.
AUR BHI DUKH HAI(N) ZAMANEY MEE(N) MUHABAT KE SIVA
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

There has been discussion around marriages to non-Ismailis at the beginning of the tread on marriages at:

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=
InaaraK

Post by InaaraK »

Yes I too always try to obey my parents but should they also not consider my happiness? I tell them that princess Zahra married a christian and MHI did give his blessings. I am marrying a muslim so do why they have reservations? His family is not asking me to convert and anyways I hardly come to khane - you could say I am a non practicing ismaili. BTW what religion are Princess Zahra's kids practicing? I need any and every information to go and make them understand. Thank you everyone.
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

I agree with your arguments. If you are 18+ years and living in some western country then you have right to decide for your self BUT your boy friend insists he wants permission from your parents. Hazar Imam did gave blessings to his daughter but your parents are unwilling to shower blessings, this is the difference. If you will take any wrong step that will hurt them for ever, they live in a society, in a community which have different values and culture. In community I have seen few examples of such marriages ending in disaster for which in my opinion your parents are worried.

QASMEE(N) WAHDEY PIYAR WAFA SUBB
BATEE(N) HAI(N) BATU(N) KA KIYA