Al-Ghazàlì’s Appropriation of Isma'ìlì Cosmology

Discussion on doctrinal issues
Sobairo

Al-Ghazàlì’s Appropriation of Isma'ìlì Cosmology

Post by Sobairo »

While doing some research on this topic, I came across an interesting paper by Khalil Andani (Harvard University) that discusses the question of an Isma'ili influence within the cosmology of al-Ghazàlì and argues that al-Ghazàlì appropriated certain features of the Isma'ili cosmology from the Persian Isma'ili thought of Nàsir-i Khusraw. This paper has been published by the Journal of Islamic Studies, Volume 29, Issue 2, May 2018, Pages 181–229. Unfortunately, I do not have full access to the document and I was wondering if any of you could direct me to some other authoritative study on this subject.

As a Sunni Muslim who was born and grew up in the West and who is close to the works of René Guénon and to the Akbarian school more in general, I am keen to move on in my quest for knowledge and I have recently approached Isma'ìlìsm through the work of Pio Filippani Ronconi and Henry Corbin among others and discovered that we owe a first testimony on the so-called science of letters to al-Mughìra b. Sa'ìd who, in fact, according to Farhad Daftary, "may be considered as the first Shì'ì, or the first Muslim for that matter, who thought about the mystical and symbolic nature of the alphabet and thus, anticipated the more elaborate views of the early Isma'ìlìs…"

Jàbir ibn Hayyàn was also an Isma'ìlì apparently, and it is claimed that he became a student of Imàm Ja'far Al-Sàdiq according to an account that considers the Imàm himself as the initiator of the science of letters. I am now trying to draw comparisons between the Sunni texts and the Isma'ìlì corpus with a particular focus on the work of Nàsir-i Khusraw as it has been masterfully presented to Western audience by Pio Filippani Ronconi.
Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes some of his articles are mentionned on:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/khalilandani/publications

and https://harvard.academia.edu/KhalilAnda ... culumVitae

The best way to get it fast would be to write to him. His email and website are on google:

Khalil Andani

PhD Candidate (ABD)

Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Harvard University

6 Divinity Ave #106, Cambridge, MA 02138

Email: khalil_andani AT mail.harvard.edu
Sobairo

Post by Sobairo »

May the Peace, Mercy and Blessing of God be Upon You, 

Thank you very much for you kind attention and for your patience.

Apparently you are not allowed to view or request the document unless you are part of some institution.

Never, mind.