COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Related Updates

Activities in your jamats including posting of announcements
mahebubchatur

New Announcment of Opening of Jamat Khanna's

Post by mahebubchatur »

Opening of Jamat Khanna - Announcement 13 June 2020

President of Jamats (Ismaili), Council for Canada said that the Institutions of the Jamat now have very efficient means of communicating with the Jamat and they will provide information to the Jamat as soon as they know. And that the role of the institutions is to be transparent, candid, and to explain to the Jamat what the Institutions are doing and why (Sadly they don’t, for example, despite requests they do not give Firmans or the full constitution, nor on best practice - no response so far - **see below)

Announcement from Brampton JamatKhanna (JK) - Mukhi and Kamadia Sahebans

Ya Ali Madad,

Praying you and your families are doing well.

As many of you are aware, the authorities in a number of provinces have indicated that places of worship may start to re-open under various standards.

Last night, President for National Council for Canada Ameerally Kassim-Lakha addressed the Canadian Jamat regarding the council’s 5-point approach towards re-opening JKs.

1. Patience and caution will be exercised in re-opening JKs so as to avoid undue risk. Under the guidance of Mawlana Hazar Imam, the health and safety of the Jamat will be of utmost priority.

2. Re-opening may not be uniform across the country or even within regions. Re-opening in Canada will be guided by our local circumstances rather than what is happening with other global Jamats.

3. The Jamat’s experience from entering into and physical distancing within Jamat Khana will be different than in pre-Covid times. It will be important that all of us play our part in protecting our brothers and sisters from infection.

4. Teams are working on preliminary plans for re-opening our JKs, based on a phase approach. Particular consideration will be given to those who are most vulnerable including seniors and those with special needs.

5. Any communications about re-opening and processes will come from *official sources*. Please be aware that many messages that are circulating are not accurate. We humbly request the Jamat to not cause confusion by circulating unofficial messages on Jamat Khana re-opening.

On behalf of all four of us, we pray for the global Jamat’s safety, well being, ease of everyone’s difficulties and bless everyone with Iman and Deedar***.

Ameen

** What Hazar Imam (#AgaKhan) has asked Leaders/community to do- http://ismaili.net/source/chatur-best-practice.pdf

*** http://ismaili.net/source/chatur-chrono ... rayers.pdf
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Half a million facemasks donated to the City of Houston by the US Ismaili Council and FOCUS USA

Houston’s Mayor Sylvester Turner accepted a donation of half a million reusable face masks from Focus Humanitarian Assistance USA (FOCUS) and the Ismaili Council for the Southwestern US. The formal announcement of the donation took place at Houston’s City Hall on 17 June 2020.

“Covid-19 has been especially challenging for those in our society who are already socially or economically marginalized, whether that is based on age, race, ethnicity, and so on,” remarked President of the Ismaili Council for the Southwestern US, Murad Ajani. “Amidst these realities of Covid-19, our faith compels us to ask: how do we care for our most vulnerable neighbors?”

Acknowledging the donation, Mayor Turner said that “The City’s Mask-Up Campaign encourages Houstonians to continue to safeguard themselves from potential exposure to Covid-19. Because face masks can save lives, today I am pleased to be joined by the Ismaili Council for the Southwestern USA and FOCUS to accept a donation of half a million reusable face masks. Their donation comes in a timely fashion when the emphasis is squarely on wearing face masks. I am grateful for the donation.” He added that the City would distribute the much-needed masks to at-risk populations, community organizations, and first responders.

The contribution is but one example of a long history of collaborative efforts between the City of Houston and the Ismaili Muslim community, ranging from activities of Ismaili youth to rehabilitate homes in Houston’s historic Freedman’s Town, to efforts to support access to the arts for Houstonians of all backgrounds.

President Ajani added, “As Covid-19 has confronted our homes, members of the Ismaili community in several cities have organized ‘Share Your Blessings’ drives, donating tons of food to support those experiencing food insecurity, and, given critical blood shortages during the Covid-19 public health crises, have opened up Ismaili Jamatkhanas for blood drives. The Ismaili Muslim community actualizes our values by serving others.”

Addressing the Ismaili Muslim community, the Mayor remarked “on behalf of the City, your City, let me thank you for just stepping up again in a moment of need.” Mayor Turner added that “during challenging times, the Ismaili community has collaborated on disaster preparedness including the thousands of volunteer hours during the recovery effort for Hurricane Harvey, for which they were recognized with the Points of Light award. Their goal is to improve the quality of life for everyone, and that is welcomed during the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Also present at the event was Shenila Momin, Chairperson of FOCUS USA, an affiliate of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), who said, “This donation is one more manifestation of a collaboration between the Ismaili Imamat and the State of Texas,” noting that in 2009, the State of Texas and the Ismaili Imamat entered into an Agreement of Cooperation, focusing on natural disaster preparedness and recovery, health sciences, and other areas of mutual concern. The agreement calls for collaboration to reduce risk and respond to threats to public health, safety, and the welfare of vulnerable communities.

Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States and will also be the site of the seventh Ismaili Center, situated in the heart of Houston, on Allen Parkway and Montrose Blvd.

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... li-council
Admin

Post by Admin »

AS RECEIVED

*The President of Portugal council* announced on *IsmailiTV* @ Friday 18 June 2020 that few JamatKhana’s will be opening in Spain & Portugal from Friday 26 June 2020.
*Lisbon JK is opening on Monday 29 June 2020*
There will be strict health procedures in place, Masks, hygiene etc. Strict procedures are in place which are as follows
✅one metre apart
✅once JK is full any people after that will be sent away, no admission.
✅After JK is finished everyone have to leave immediately to go home.
✅No more shajodidar
✅No more niyaz
mahebubchatur

Announcement from Jamats - community Institutions

Post by mahebubchatur »

Message from the Jamati Institutions 21 June 2020

Dear USA Jamat,

Today, we reaffirm our commitment to the spirit of unity as we seek spiritual strength and happiness for the Jamat and all of humanity. Let us reflect on Mawlana Hazar Imam’s message to the global Jamat on May 23, 2020, in which he says,

“It is my wish that my Jamat should look to the future with hope and courage, in keeping with its age-old tradition of unity, generosity, and mutual support which has at all times enabled it to move forward to a position of enhanced strength and resilience, from generation to generation.

My spiritual children should always remain mindful that it is the principles of our faith that will bring peace and solace in these times of uncertainty. I am with my Jamat at all times, and each of you, individually, is always in my heart, in my thoughts, and in my prayers.”

As we look to the future, let us welcome hope, courage, and peace into our lives and offer prayers for happiness, for good health, for mushkil-asan, for unity in our families and Jamat, and for peace and prosperity around the world.

Al-Karim Alidina
President, Ismaili Council for USA

Murad Abdullah
Chairman, ITREB USA
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Google translate of the original article in Portuguese:
https://the.ismaili/portugal/mensaje-presidente-nc

NC President's Message
[IT IS]

I hope everybody is fine.

I am with you today to inform you about the reopening of the Jamatkhanas in the Portuguese jurisdiction. Due to the pandemic situation we are experiencing, the Jamatkhanas in Portugal, Spain and Angola have been closed for about 3 months. Having passed the most difficult phase, we have entered a phase of de-escalation in the different countries, allowing us to plan the reopening of the Jamatkhanas.

In the case of Portugal, the government allows the celebration of religious ceremonies in a congregation from May 30, as long as the guidelines of the General Directorate of Health are followed. In Angola and Spain religious ceremonies in congregation will also be allowed.

On the basis of these government permits, the institutions have been working in recent weeks to be able to propose to Mawlana Hazar Imam the reopening of the Jamatkhanas, with strict respect for the directives established by the health authorities.

It is with great happiness that I communicate to Jamat that we were blessed to obtain the approval of Mawlana Hazar Imam for this reopening, as long as full compliance with the recommendations of the various health authorities is followed: in the case of Portugal, the DGS . It is excellent news for everyone. Mubarak to all Jamat!

So, next Friday, June 26, today in a week, the Jamatkhanas of Setúbal, Porto, Faro and Portimão and Malaga in Spain will reopen.

On Monday, June 29, the Darkhana in Lisbon and the Jamatkhanas in Seixal and Oeiras will reopen, as well as the Jamatkhanas in Luanda and Lobito in Angola.

The Jamatkhanas in Madrid and Barcelona remain closed for the time being.

This reopening, as I said, must be careful and must scrupulously respect the guidelines of the health authorities of each country, as is the wish of Mawlana Hazar Imam. Therefore, I ask for the greater understanding of Jamat so that all the rules are always followed. We will share in detail in the next few days what these rules are, but they are not very different from the ones we are already used to on a daily basis, when we go to public spaces.

Just to give some examples:
- the use of a mask is always mandatory and will be mandatory at all times, from the moment you enter the Jamatkhana or the Ismaili Center;

-disinfection of hands is also essential

- maintaining a physical distance between people is also essential;

- and the absence of physical contact also remains a rule.

In terms of space, there will be some limitations; the Jamat will also have to have patience and understanding and go to the space indicated by the volunteers.

As I said, we will share more details in the coming days and in the Soulful time program on Friday the 26th. I ask you to stay tuned to understand all the rules to apply, so that we can all fully comply with them.

Será esencial que todos los miembros del Jamat respeten las instrucciones de los voluntarios. Esto es fundamental. Todos los voluntarios estarán trabajando y haciendo todo lo posible para hacer que el entorno del Jamatkhana sea seguro y fiable. Solicito encarecidamente que todas las indicaciones dadas por los voluntarios, y que estarán marcadas en diferentes señales, sean respetadas con la mayor disciplina y la mayor paciencia y unidad. Sólo entonces estaremos protegiéndonos a nosotros mismos y a nuestros hermanos y hermanas.

I also want to ask the members of Jamat, at this stage, to avoid as much as possible the formation of groups or agglomerations, either within or around the jamatkhana. Unfortunately, the socialization to which we were all accustomed still has to wait, so at the end of the ceremonies, the members of the Jamat should not remain in the Jamatkhanas.

I wanted to give Mubarak to Jamat once more for this news. This is excellent news, which we eagerly awaited, and which we awaited, given the central role that Jamatkhanas play in our lives and the regularity of collective religious ceremonies. It is a moment of happiness, but also a moment of individual responsibility, so that each one does his part so that the reopening of the Jamatkhanas can take place in a serene and safe way.

I conclude by reading an excerpt from Mowlana Hazar Imam's message to global Jamat on May 23, on the occasion of Eid ul Fitr

My beloved spiritual children,
(…) I would like my spiritual children to continue to exercise the utmost rigor in taking all individual measures to safeguard their own health, as recommended by the public health authorities and my institutions. In this difficult period I applaud with the greatest admiration and gratitude the generous services provided by all my Jamat volunteers, as well as those provided by doctors, nurses, paramedics and auxiliaries both from AKDN and from other health institutions and related entities: their exemplary courage, their commitment and your dedication to provide care and comfort to my Jamat and others, and especially those who are vulnerable and sick, is a remarkable update on the human values ​​and ethics shared by all religions.

I wish my Jamat to look to the future with hope and courage, maintaining his long tradition of unity, generosity and mutual support, which has allowed him at all times, from generation to generation, to advance towards a position of greater strength and resistance.

My spiritual children must always keep in mind that it is the principles of our faith that bring us peace and comfort in these uncertain times. I am with my Jamat at all times, and each one of you, individually, is always in my heart, in my thoughts and in my prayers.

And I send my warmest paternal and maternal blessings to all my Jamat - for happiness, good health, confidence and security in their future lives, and for Mushkil-asan.

Affectionately, Aga Khan

Before concluding, I would like to highlight the fact that tonight's program is dedicated to Spain. The Spanish jamat is the oldest jamat in Europe, with more than 100 years of history. With great pleasure, I see that today's program is dedicated to Jamat from Spain. It is a great satisfaction to have the Jamat from Spain in our jurisdiction. A very special greeting for everyone in Spain.

I say goodbye wishing you all good health, do not neglect the precautions in your day to day, since the pandemic has not yet ended and we all have to protect ourselves.

Already Ali Madad and See you soon.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Editorial 26th of June 2020

Ya Ali Madat,

The reopening of places of worship are dependent on the instructions of Angolan Health Authorities.

Just recently, Angolan Health Authorities have informed that places of worship in Luanda should not open until further notice.

The reopening of Lobito Jamatkhana, expected for 29th June, is being coordinated by the Local Institutions and by Mukhi and Kamadia Sahebs of Lobito.

The opening will comply with all the necessary operational and logistics considerations to ensure the safety and good health of all members of our Jamat of Lobito.

Several Health and Safety Guidelines will be communicated to the Jamat in Lobito by our Local Institutions, and will cover the various aspects of religious practices, ceremonies and general safety and security recommendations such as physical distancing, entry and exit on the prayer hall.

The same Health and Safety Guidelines for the Luanda Jamatkhana will be communicated to the Jamat in Luanda, in due time, and once the Angolan Health Authorities instructs about the upcoming dates and circumstances for the opening of places of worship in Luanda.

Until then, the Institutions urge the Jamat to remain calm and to respectfully all health and safety recommendations by the Angolan Government and Health Authorities.

We give Shukrana and we are grateful for our beloved Mawlana Hazar Imam’s guidance, and we hope and pray that we can soon be together in congregation to practice our faith.

https://the.ismaili/portugal/editorial-26th-june-2020

Reopening of Jamatkhanas: rules and compliance measures

Following the measures approved by the Council of Ministers effective from July 1st, which contemplate the civic duty of home confinement for residents in the 19 parishes concerned in the Lisbon Metropolitan Area, residents in these parishes should only leave their homes for essential activities such as travelling to work, grocery shopping, sports activities and support for family members.

Therefore, all members of Jamat who reside in these parishes are requested to fulfil this civic duty.

--

It is with immense joy and happiness that we announce the reopening of the Jamatkhanas of the Portuguese Jurisdiction, subject to meeting of all the compliance measures recommended by the health authorities, namely the Direção-Geral da Saúde (DGS).

Therefore, the Jamatkhanas of Porto, Setúbal, Faro, Portimão and Málaga, will be open at their usual times, starting today, Friday, June 26th. The Darkhana Jamatkhana of Lisbon and Jamatkhanas in Seixal, Oeiras and Lobito will be reopen next Monday, June 29th.

The COVID-19 pandemic requires that we all take a number of precautions in our day-to-day lives, to better protect ourselves and of those around us.

With the imminent reopening of the Jamatkhanas, we wish to inform the Jamat of the following measures that will be adopted to guarantee the safety of all:

In order to fulfill the necessary distance requirements, the maximum capacity of the Prayer Halls have been adjusted, with alternative spaces created in the Ismaili Centre and in the Jamatkhana of Seixal, where the volunteers will direct the members of the Jamat.

All common areas of Jamatkhana will be disinfected on a daily basis, after religious ceremonies, including all sofas, benches and chairs.

The body temperature of each person will be measured at the main entrance before entering the Jamatkhana building and, in the case of The Ismaili Centre, this procedure will also be carried out in the garage.
All spaces will be properly marked with a physical distance of 2 meters in all directions.

We further wish to inform the Jamat that the water dispensers will not be accessible for use.

Simultaneously, the rules defined by the DGS will also be implemented and must be complied by the Jamat whose primary focus is to protect everyone:

Access to Jamatkhana will only be possible with a facemask on, which should be maintained on your face at all times whilst in the Jamatkhana building. The only exception to this rule is children up to the age of 6 years, who must be accompanied by their parents at all times, and must further ensure that they do not circulate without their supervision.

At the entrance of every Prayer Hall and social hall you will be required to have your hands disinfected with an alcohol-based disinfectant solution, which will be applied by the volunteers. The disinfectant solution will be available in several places, so you can disinfect your hands whenever you consider it necessary. Furthermore, you must disinfect your hands at least twice: first upon entering and then again upon exiting the hall you are in -- be it the Prayer Hall or one of the social halls.

If you plan to attend Jamatkhana, please ensure you give yourselves sufficient time to sanitize your hands and have your temperature taken.
Please do not bring unnecessary personal items (bags, coats, backpacks, bags, etc.). Note: The cloakroom will not be operational.

We humbly and respectfully ask that IF any member of Jamat feels unwell with a body temperature above normal (> 38º) or with symptoms of COVID-19 - fever, cough, tiredness, difficulty breathing, or muscle pain – PLEASE contact the health authorities and stay at home.

If you have been in contact with anyone infected or are suspected of being infected, in order to ensure the safety of the entire Jamat, we kindly request that you PLEASE stay home for 14 days after contact.

In accordance with the recommendations of the DGS, we also respectfully ask ALL members of Jamat who belong to high risk groups, namely those over 65 or those with serious and compromised health problems, should consider coming to Jamatkhana on less busy hence quieter days.

Only marked spaces should be used. We ask all members of the Jamat to only use the chairs if they are unable to sit on the floor.

After being seated in a designated space or chair, you should NOT change places, as these are cleaned everyday after being used during religious ceremonies.

Children up to the age of 12 must be seated with their parents at all times and we ask for your cooperation to permanently monitor your children, so that they DO NOT circulate without supervision.

We kindly request all members of the Jamat to respect ALL the instructions given by the volunteers.

At the conclusion of the religious ceremonies, we ask for the Jamats’ discipline, cooperation and respect to avoid crowds and that the minimum recommended physical distance of 2 meters is maintained at all times.
We further wish to inform the Jamat that the doors of the Jamatkhanas will open at 6:30pm and will close 10 minutes after the end of the religious ceremonies.

Further details on the measures and rules that the Jamat must follow will be shared before, during and after the religious ceremonies.

We remind the Jamat that the adoption and adherence of the above behaviors is very crucial and important in order for us to be able to maintain and keep the Jamatkhanas open. In addition, complying with these recommendations is critical in order to avoid ANY risk to the health and safety of all members of the Jamat. The Institutions are monitoring the development of the pandemic on a daily basis and, if the circumstances change, new measures may have to be undertaken.

We count on the cooperation of Jamat.

https://the.ismaili/portugal/reopening- ... e-measures
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://allafrica.com/stories/202007030247.html

Tanzania: Aga Khan, Afd Ink Sh700m Infectious Malady Control Bid

2 July 2020
The Citizen (Dar es Salaam)

Dar es Salaam — The Aga Khan Health Services in Tanzania and the French Development Agency (AFD) yesterday signed a €300,000 grant - roughly equivalent to over Sh700 million - to establish infectious diseases units in Dar es Salam and Mwanza.

The grant, according to a joint statement, is expected to enable the Aga Khan Hospital in Dar es Salaam to adequately respond to pandemics, such as Covid-19 including addressing issues pertaining to inadequate health infrastructure and capacity.

The initiative, which is undertaken by the Aga Khan Health Services, AFD and other partners, aims at creating an Infectious Diseases Unit that will complement the efforts of the government in reducing the transmission of infectious diseases and support the containment of any pandemics, to protect individuals' risk of severe to critical illness.

"This grant of €300,000 is provided as part of the worldwide 'Covid-19 Health in Common' initiative launched by the French President and implemented by AFD in response to the worldwide public health crisis caused by the global pandemics," a joint statement issued by Aga Khan and AFD said.

Speaking during the signing ceremony, the Regional Chief Executive Officer of Aga Khan Health Services (East Africa), Mr Sulaiman Shahabuddin, said, "This new unit at the Aga Khan Hospital - which is a zonal referral hospital - will leverage its technical and implementation capacity through existing clinical and support servicses delivery platforms to execute the planned care interventions for infectious disease patients."

The Country Director of the French Development Agency in Tanzania, Ms Stéphanie Mouen, said "the initiative would demonstrate its responsiveness and efficiency in support of the development of our partners, in particular in East Africa.

"The strong and confident partnership to deliver desired success dates back more than 12 years ago when AFD and AKDN signed a partnership agreement to have one common ground: a genuine desire to invest in social uplifting and improving people's quality of life," said Ms Mouen.
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.nation.co.ke/kenya/news/cov ... 0m-1444568

Covid-19: Aga Khan University gives Pumwani Maternity Hospital Sh10m

Friday July 03 2020

Summary

In partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the university gave money for the purchase of personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline medical personnel.
The money will also be used to support essential services that will enable the facility adapt to challenges presented by the pandemic.

--------------------

y SARAH NANJALA

Patients at Pumwani Maternity Hospital in Nairobi are set for better care as the Aga Khan University has given it Sh10 million for the fight against Covid-19.

In partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the university gave money for the purchase of personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline medical personnel.

The funds will also be used to train staff on mitigation measures.

Prof Marleen Temmerman, chairperson of Aga Khan’s Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, noted that with the growing number of cases in Nairobi, there is an urgent need for adequate preparedness and response.

“The Aga Khan University Medical College has been advising Pumwani to improve care for women and newborns by providing assistance in areas such as education, training and research,” she said.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Google translation of the article in Potuguese:
https://the.ismaili/portugal/regras-par ... nvolventes

Rules for Use and Stay in Jamatkhana and Surroundings

With the reopening of the Jamatkhanas, it is important that we are all aware of the measures adopted and that we comply with all guidelines in order to protect ourselves and those around us!

To learn more you can also consult the link:

https://the.ismaili/portugal/reabertura ... utilização
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Update to Jamatkhana, REC, and ECD Reopening Guidelines - USA

The Jamati Institutions are closely monitoring COVID-19 related conditions, news and guidelines affecting each USA Jamatkhana, and will work towards the reopening of Jamatkhanas across the United States as and when it is possible to do so safely. The following considerations are critical driving factors in the decision to reopen Jamatkhanas:

Compliance with applicable government and public health authority directives related to places of worship;
and

The ability to ensure effective health and safety precautions can be operationalized to protect the safety and wellbeing of the Jamat.

These same considerations will also impact whether a Jamatkhana that is reopened can continue to remain open. As part of the reopening, comprehensive protocols have been developed for all areas of Jamatkhana operations to ensure the health and safety of the Jamat. The Jamat’s collective cooperation is critically necessary to ensure that Jamatkhanas can safely reopen and remain open. We sincerely ask that all Jamati members take personal responsibility to ensure the safety of all other Jamati members by complying fully and completely with the guidelines provided below and all guidelines communicated at Jamatkhanas when they are reopened. Jamati members are requested to review these guidelines from time to time as they will be updated as and when required.

At this time, only the following Jamatkhanas are expected to be reopened:

Kansas City (expected to open Wednesday, July 8, 2020)

Knoxville (expected to open Wednesday, July 8, 2020)

Nashville (expected to open Wednesday, July 8, 2020)

Oklahoma City (expected to open Thursday, July 9, 2020)

Spartanburg (expected to open Wednesday, July 8, 2020)

All other Jamatkhanas will remain closed until further notice. All Religious Education and Early Childhood Development Centers (including at the reopened Jamatkhanas) will remain closed until further notice.

Capacity Restrictions

Jamatkhana premises will operate at a reduced capacity for the time being to permit safe physical distancing. Due to reduced capacity, additional spaces will be made available in certain locations and on certain days to accommodate an overflow of the local Jamat. Access to Jamatkhanas will be on a first-come basis until capacity is reached. It is essential that Jamati members NOT attempt to attend a Jamatkhana that is reopened unless they normally attend that Jamatkhana. The capacity and space configurations of each reopened Jamatkhana have been designed to only accommodate the local Jamat.

Face Coverings

Face coverings are essential to ensure the health and safety of all Jamati members. Jamati members will be required to wear a face-covering to enter the Jamatkhana premises and at all times while inside the Jamatkhana building or parking lot. The only exception to this policy is for children under the age of 2 years, who must be accompanied by their parents at all times. Jamati members are requested to plan ahead and bring a cloth face covering or disposable mask from home to ensure they can adhere to this entry requirement. Please note that a dupatta or other scarf covering one's face and mouth is not a sufficient face covering.

Health Considerations

It is important that all Jamati members consider their personal health and family circumstances when making the decision to come to Jamatkhana to ensure the health and safety of the Jamat.

Temperature screenings will take place at the entry to each Jamatkhana. Jamati members screened and found to have a temperature greater than 100.4 degrees will not be permitted to enter the Jamatkhana premises.

Please do not attend Jamatkhana if you do not feel well, if you have been in contact with anyone who has not been feeling well, or if you have been in contact with someone who has been infected or suspected of being infected with the Coronavirus in the past 14 days.

All members of the Jamat or those who share a household with individuals who belong to high-risk groups, namely those over 65 or those with underlying medical conditions (ex: heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, or weakened immune system from a disease or due to a medication to treat diseases like cancer or type 2 diabetes) may wish to consider coming to Jamatkhana only on less busy and lower attendance days.

The Jamat is advised to consider if they have an elder Jamati member or a Jamati member with underlying medical conditions in their household when making a decision on whether to attend Jamatkhana.

Physical Distancing

In order to meet physical distancing and other health and safety requirements, the Jamat will be asked to sit in designated marked spots and follow the signage and marking to safely manage movement flow.

Please respect and follow all directions offered by Jamati volunteers in Jamatkhana.

To maintain physical distance, volunteers will generally not approach the Jamat to offer physical assistance unless directly requested by a Jamati member or family member.

At the conclusion of the Jamati ceremonies, discipline and cooperation are requested for orderly movement out of the Jamatkhana space as soon as possible.

Do not socialize or congregate, and exit the Jamatkhana building and premises as soon as possible after Jamati ceremonies.

No programmatic or social engagements will be held before or after Jamatkhana services and the Jamat is requested not to socially congregate or gather inside the Jamatkhana or in parking lots.

Ceremonies

At the Jamatkhana, you will be advised of temporary modifications to the manner in which ceremonies are conducted to ensure the safety of the Jamat.

Please bring your own tasbih.

Before Leaving Home

It is a good practice to take your temperature before leaving home, and if elevated, please remain at home.

If you are experiencing any symptoms such as chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, cough, sore throat, congestion that differs from your typical seasonal allergies, body ache, fatigue, loss of sense of taste or smell, body ache, diarrhea, or rash, please stay home, isolate yourself, and consult your physician immediately. Health Board volunteers are also available to assist through the ACCESS helpline.

At Jamatkhana

Avoid interacting and socializing with other Jamati members in the parking lot or inside the Jamatkhana premises.

Utilize hand sanitizer at designated points within the Jamatkhana premises.

Maintain 6 feet of physical distance from all individuals from outside your household at all times wherever possible. Follow the physical distancing signage and guidelines at all times—markers are available throughout the premises to help guide the Jamat.

Take the next available marked place inside the prayer hall (chair or carpet) and refrain from moving to another spot. Markers will indicate where one may sit to ensure physical distance can be maintained.

Protecting Yourself, Your Families, and Communities

According to the World Health Organization, the Coronavirus is now a pandemic around the world. However, let us remember that the vast majority of people who become infected with the virus have mild symptoms, recover and are fine. Please do not panic. We should all be concerned, however, about the growing spread of this virus for ourselves and particularly for higher risk groups among us who can suffer serious or life threatening illness due to the virus. These higher risk groups include older age groups (who are generally understood to be those over the age of 60) and those individuals (whether old or not) who have compromised immunity and underlying health conditions.

Routine precautions should be taken by all of us, such as the following:
Wash hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds. Clean hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when washing hands is not possible, and avoid touching your face.
See video: Hand-washing
Clean all surfaces normally touched in the house or car, such as keys, phones, doorknobs, and countertops, with a disinfectant regularly.
For more information: How to clean and disinfect
Avoid close contact with those who are displaying fever, cough, cold or other flu-like symptoms.
See video: Prevention
If you do not feel well or have flu-like symptoms, please stay home. Do not go to public places, use public transportation, go to work or entertain visitors, so you can help prevent further spreading of illness. It is also recommended that you consult with your physician for further advice, particularly if you have a fever.
When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue. Discard the tissue after each use.
Whether in Jamatkhana, at work, weddings or otherwise, offer greetings to others verbally and without physical contact, such as by nodding, smiling, placing your hand over your heart, etc.
Avoid large gatherings.
Keep abreast of recommendations and advisories from your local health officials and local school districts.
Unnecessary travel should be avoided, if possible. Travel advisories have been issued for several countries. An increasing number of countries are placing travel restrictions to and from their countries. For any international travel, please follow the advice from the CDC and the US Department of State.
For more information: CDC Travel FAQs
If you have travelled to a country with known outbreak of COVID-19, then please consult with your primary care clinician for further recommendations. Recommendations may include a two-week quarantine period. Since these recommendations and the list of countries continues to evolve, it is best to consult your primary care provider for up-to-date recommendations.
Children under 2 years of age and adults above 65 should ensure they are current with their pneumonia vaccines.
For more information: Pneumococcal Vaccine
In the interest of overall preparedness in the event of a worsening situation, you should keep enough food, water, and necessary supplies at home to last 2 weeks.
For more information: CDC personal preparedness
Recommendations for Older Adults

Older adults (generally those over 60 years of age) and individuals with compromised immune systems are at a higher risk of serious illness from Coronavirus. As such, even if they do not feel sick, the CDC advises that seniors follow these steps:

Stay at home as much as possible and avoid public places. This is to avoid being exposed by others who might be sick.
Ensure that you have at least 30 days of medications and other supplies, such as food and household necessities, on hand in case there is a need to stay indoors for an extended period of time.
Staying Informed with Credible Sources
We advise against forwarding unverified social media messaging, including text and WhatsApp messages, as they are a common source of misinformation and can create unnecessary anxiety.

Continue to use credible and reliable sources such as the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Aga Khan Health Board USA (AKHB) and FOCUS Humanitarian USA for up to date information. Stay connected to the official The.Ismaili USA platforms on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

For frequently asked questions about COVID-19, see the CDC's Frequently Asked Questions.

https://the.ismaili/usa/covid-19-update ... naClosings
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

A Message from the Southwestern US Jamati Leadership

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nb4SdAtWpM
Admin

Post by Admin »

The.Ismaili reported on 10 July 2020 the following:

Talika Mubarak of Mawlana Hazar Imam, 11 July 2020My beloved spiritual children,

On the occasion of Imamat day, the 11th of July 2020, I send my warmest and most affectionate paternal maternal loving blessings to all my beloved spiritual children throughout the world.

I send my best loving blessings for the souls of all my ruhani spiritual children, and I pray that their souls may rest in eternal peace.

While the Covid-19 pandemic continues to pose a challenge globally, I have agreed to the re-opening of Jamatkhanas in areas where the health authorities allow gatherings in spaces of prayer.

As Imam-of-the-Time, I have authorised modifications to the conduct of ceremonies in our Jamatkhanas, to ensure compliance with present health and safety requirements. This matter is constantly under my review, and I will make appropriate decisions on when to return to normal practice.

It is my wish that, in attending Jamatkhana, as indeed at all other times, my Jamat should continue to exercise utmost care and rigour in observing the measures recommended by the public health authorities.

On this happy occasion, I send my most affectionate loving blessings to all my spiritual children who have submitted services and sent messages of congratulations and good wishes.

I send my most affectionate special loving blessings for mushkil-asan, good health, safety and security for all my Jamats, and the restoration of peace and stability, with best loving blessings for your spiritual happiness, worldly progress, strength of faith, and for unity in the Jamat.

Yours affectionately,

Aga Khan
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Fellow Community Members, Imamat Day Mubarak! I hope that you and your families are keeping safe and healthy.

Since Navroz, all of us, one way or another, have been occupied with the COVID-19 outbreak. After the significant efforts of the governments in the Far East, we are now in a more stable situation. Activities have resumed in all Far East countries and economies have been re-opened. Life can now become closer to “normal” as long as we take necessary precautions. As you are aware, four out of our nine centres have re-opened, and additional centres are likely to re-open in the next few weeks and months as local government restrictions are lifted.

However, we should not assume that we have defeated COVID-19. The pandemic is likely to be with us for at least a year more or longer, depending on when a vaccine is developed and is made available. So we need to become used to operating in this new environment. There are also several countries globally showing “second waves” of cases. We also need to be ready for continued difficult economic conditions. There will be many business closures and job losses.

In these times, we are fortunate and blessed to have our beloved Hazar Imam to guide and lead us. We must remain united as one community. We should reach out to each other and the institutions if we need advice or assistance of any kind. Please keep as much liquidity in cash as possible as many experts predict the current economic recession will last until 2022, or longer.

In the past few months, our institutions have been extremely busy. We launched our extremely successful Eid programme that received record participation and viewership. We held several online sessions on the economy, upskilling, mental wellbeing, digital technology in the early years, and the impact of physical health on mental health. ITREB held several successful programmes as did our talented BUI teachers and students. Some of these have been aired on Ismaili.TV, putting us on the global map. We even held Bollyfit dance classes and a coding class for the youth! We successfully initiated an English language course for overseas workers in Malaysia. With your support, we completed our annual Quality of Life questionnaire, the results of which will help guide our programmes moving forward. In addition, we held several meaningful outreach programmes in the wider community through Ismaili CIVIC in Singapore and Malaysia.

Today we join the Ismaili Professionals Network (IPN) worldwide by launching, for the first time IPN Far East. This network will enable professionals to forge connections, build partnerships and enable career advancement by sharing knowledge and best practices. We look forward to your continued participation in our programmes. If you have any suggestions for topics you would like to hear more about or discuss further, you can contact any of my colleagues on the various institutions, or myself. We remain available for you, any time.

Meanwhile, I hope that you are able to spend some quality time with your families over this Imamat Day weekend and pray that you and your families remain happy, healthy, safe and united.

With best personal regards,
President, Council for the Far East

https://the.ismaili/far-east/reflection ... uly-2020-1
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Google translation of the original article in Portuguese:

https://the.ismaili/portugal/informa%C3 ... t-day-2020

It is with immense joy and happiness that the Mukhi / Kamadia Sahebs and Mukhiani / Kamadiani Sahebas and the Institutions remember that next Saturday, July 11, we celebrate the 63rd anniversary of the Imamat of our beloved Mawlana Hazar Imam.

English

As we all know, this is an atypical year in which the COVID-19 pandemic that plagues us requires that we all adopt various precautions in our day-to-day lives, in order to protect ourselves and all those around us , and that we take additional precautions for the health and safety of all Jamat members. In order to comply with the recommendations of the health authorities, namely the DGS, religious ceremonies will continue but this year there will be no celebrations in any Jamatkhana.

Additionally, and as is well known, the capacities of all Jamatkhanas have been reduced, and their capacity is limited so that the required physical distance can be maintained. Whenever Jamatkhana's capacity is reached, Jamat members will be directed to waiting areas until space is available in Jamatkhana, at the end of the religious ceremonies, so that anyone who still intends to do so, can enter.

In accordance with the recommendations of the DGS, we ask, very respectfully, that all Jamat members belong to groups at risk, namely members over 65, with chronic illnesses or with a compromised immune system, that they prefer to go to Jamatkhana in the days of less affluence. It is expected that Imamat Day will be a busy day.

We recall, once again, that the measures approved by the Council of Ministers and which came into force on July 1, contemplate the civic duty of home collection for residents in the 19 parishes targeted in the Metropolitan Area of ​​Lisbon, so the residents in these parishes they should only leave their homes for some essential activities such as commuting, shopping, practicing sports and supporting family members. Thus, and very respectfully, we ask all Jamat members residing in the 19 parishes mentioned below, to remain at home, whenever possible, avoiding circulating in public spaces, until the situation in these parishes stabilizes and the state of calamity is lifted. .

COURSES COVERED

Amadora: Alfragide, Águas Livres, Falagueira-Venda Nova, Encosta do Sol, Venteira, Water Mine;

Odivelas: Union of the Parishes of Pontinha and Famões, Union of the Parishes of Póvoa de Santo Adrião and Olival de Basto, Union of the Parishes of Ramada and Caneças and Odivelas;

Sintra: Union of Parishes of Agualva and Mira-Sintra, Algueirão-Mem Martins, Union of Parishes of Cacém and São Marcos, Union of Parishes of Massamá and Monte Abraão, Union of Parishes of Queluz and Belas and Rio de Mouro;

Loures: Union of the Parishes of Camarate, Unhos e Apelação, Union of the Parishes of Sacavém and Prior Velho;

Lisbon: Santa Clara.

Darkhana Jamatkhana of Lisbon and Jamatkhanas of Porto, Oeiras, Seixal, Setúbal, Faro, Portimão, Málaga and Lobito will be open on that day at the usual time.

Darkhana Jamatkhana de Lisboa will open its doors at 6:30 pm and will close 10 minutes after the end of the religious ceremonies.

It is essential that the recommendations of the health authorities, namely the DGS, are strictly followed for the safety and protection of the health of all.

In order to fulfill the necessary distance, the maximum capacities of each Prayer Hall / Salon were adjusted, with alternative spaces created in the Ismaili Center and in the Jamatkhana of Seixal, where the volunteers will send the Jamat members.
Jamat members residing in the Municipalities of Oeiras and Cascais, should choose to go to the Jamatkhana de Oeiras, which will operate this day in pavilion 2 of the Sebastião e Silva Secondary School, located at Rua do Liceu in Oeiras.
Measurement of body temperature will be carried out at the entrance of all Jamatkhanas.
All places will be properly marked, with a physical distance of 2 meters in all directions.
We also inform that it will not be possible to use water dispensers.
At the same time, the rules defined by the DGS that Jamat must comply with and which aim to protect everyone were also implemented:

Access to Jamatkhana can only be done with a face mask, which should not be removed while staying in the Jamatkhana building. The only exception will be children up to 6 years of age, who may be without a mask if accompanied by their parents, who must ensure that they do not move without their supervision.
At the entrance of each Prayer Hall / Salon, it will be mandatory to disinfect your hands with an alcohol-based disinfectant solution, which will be applied by the volunteers. The disinfectant solution will be available in several places, so you can disinfect your hands whenever you think it is necessary, and you should do it at least twice: at the entrance and exit of the Prayer Hall / Salon.
When you go to Jamatkhana, you must do it with the time necessary for hand hygiene and temperature measurement.
Do not bring unnecessary personal items (suitcases, coats, backpacks, bags, etc.).
Very humble and respectfully we ask that any member of Jamat who feels sick, with a body temperature above normal (> 38º) or with symptoms of COVID-19 - fever, cough, tiredness, difficulty breathing, or muscle pain - contact the authorities of health and stay at home.
If you have been in contact with someone infected or suspected of being infected, and in order to ensure the safety of the entire Jamat, you must remain at home for 14 days after contact.
Only properly marked places should be used.
After being seated in a designated place or in a chair, you should not change places, as these are cleaned every day after being used during religious ceremonies.
Children up to the age of 12 must sit down with their parents and we ask for their cooperation in order to permanently monitor their children, so that they do not circulate without supervision.
We ask all Jamat members to respect all indications given by the volunteer team.
At the end of the religious ceremonies, we ask for the greatest collaboration, discipline and respect of all Jamat members, so that crowds are avoided and that the minimum recommended physical distance of 2 meters is maintained at all times.
We remind Jamat that the adoption of these behaviors is crucial and very important for it to be possible to keep Jamatkhanas open, as well as compliance with recommendations, in order to avoid any type of risk to the health and safety of all Jamat members.
We count on the collaboration of Jamat.

Imamat Day Mubarak
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article ... n-hospital

Virus drug trials begin at Nairobi’s Aga Khan hospital

By Dr Mercy Korir | July 22nd 2020 at 12:00:00 GMT +0300

Kenya is one of two African countries that have started Clinical trials on a drug that might be the cure for Covid-19.

The trials, whose results are expected in three months time, will evaluate the efficacy and safety of Actemra (tocilizumab) in the treatment of a pneumonia linked to Covid-19 in hospitalised patients.

The drug is manufactured by Roche, a multinational healthcare company.

SEE ALSO: Kenya starts Covid-19 drug trials
The trials were initiated by Genentech, a member of the Roche Group, in the United States in May 2020, but have now been expanded to other sites in South Africa, Kenya, Brazil, Mexico and Peru. Ten patients have already been enrolled at the Clinical Research Unit of the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi.

Day and night

“Our people in Roche are working day and night with the aim of developing, manufacturing and supplying key tests and medicines where they are needed most. We are so glad to see the first Kenyan patients start on the EMPACTA trial,” said Beatrice Nyawira, medical director, Roche Kenya Ltd.

“Disparities and lack of diversity in medical research holds the global community back, and Roche Kenya is proud to help close this gap,” said Dr Nyawira.

The drug is expected to work on the body’s immune system by inhibiting Interluekin-6 receptors to prevent the pneumonia that affects patients infected with Covid-19.

SEE ALSO: Bill Gates calls for Covid-19 meds to go to people who need them, not 'highest bidder'
Coronavirus triggers an immune reaction in the lungs whose cells produce a substance called Interleukin-6 (IL-6) that tries to kill the virus. In the event of an overreaction, this causes acute respiratory distress (ARDS), characterised by difficulties in breathing.

“We think the culprit for the ARDS is IL-6, so this study is giving anti-IL-6 to patients with Covid pneumonia before they get into the ventilator,” said Mansoor Saleh, director of the clinical research and Oncology units at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi.

The drug, tocilizumab, is already in use in cancer and arthritis treatment.

The primary endpoint is to find out how many participants will require mechanical ventilation by Day 28. Additionally, the time to clinical failure which is defined as the time to mechanical ventilation, ICU admission, death or withdrawal (whichever occurs first) will be observed.

“This is a watershed moment for Kenya and us at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi, that we can participate in an international clinical trial that is testing the effectiveness of this novel drug on our patients,” said Reena Shah, associate professor of medicine in infectious diseases, and the principal investigator of the study in Kenya.

SEE ALSO: Kenya invited to third global study in race to find cure
“This is where we contribute knowledge and experience about our capability and the outcome of our patients to the international community,” said Dr Shah.

The mortality rate by Day 28 and time to hospital discharge or “ready for discharge” will also be analysed in the targeted 375 patients globally.

Only Covid-19 patients who show evidence of Covid-19 pneumonia on CT Scan and are in need of oxygen will be eligible to participate.

Kenya aims to recruit 60 patients in four weeks for the trials in which some patients will receive the drug and others a placebo - a substance that resembles the drug but contains no active drug.

Neither the patients nor the doctors managing them will know who is on the drug and who is on the placebo.

“We want to get that middle ground of patients who are not too sick but may be on their way to the ventilator so that we can protect them,” explained Prof Saleh.

Unique criteria

According to Saleh, the study was necessary because what works in North America may not work in Africa. This has allowed Kenyan trials to have unique inclusion criteria for participants. Patients are given at least 24 hours to consider consenting to the study whose research results may change the course of the pandemic.

From its existing usage, the drug has no long term side effects but may cause a drop in blood pressure and shortness of breath. Within a few weeks, the drug may suppress immunity, exposing the patients to other opportunistic infections. Up to 80 per cent of patients on this drug experience minimal or no side effects.

“Compared to Covid-19 whose side effects is near death, insertion of tubes and ventilation, the side effects of this drug are minimal,” said Saleh.

He hopes that there will be a compassionate protocol for the drug to allow as many eligible people as possible to benefit, should it be shown to stop the progression of Covid-19 pneumonia.

“This is the first clinical trial at Aga Khan Hospital Nairobi, and I was surprised by the fact that patients were willing to participate, stating that even if it doesn’t help them as individuals, it will help the doctors learn something that may help others,” he said.

Commenting on the trials, Dr Rashid Aman, Health ministry’s Chief Administrative Secretary lauded the private sector for its efforts in getting a solution to the pandemic.

“The merit of this ongoing trial has recently been validated by recent findings by a team of clinical researchers at the University of Michigan that demonstrated that tocilizumab was associated with a 45 per cent reduction in the hazard of death,” he said.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Registration for Jamatkhana Attendance Now Open - Canada

We are pleased to announce that the Jamatkhana Registration site https://jkreg.iicanada.org/en/ is now open to the Jamat.

As Jamatkhana capacity is limited due to COVID-19 regulations, and to enable contact tracing in the event of a potential infection event, all individuals will need to register through the site to gain access to Jamatkhana. Pre-registration allows Jamati members to indicate their preferred dates and times of Jamatkhana attendance, and be allocated a confirmed spot ahead of time.

Please note:

- Jamati members are invited to register for themelves and their family members, and to specify their preferred Jamatkhanas, including for Jamatkhanas not included in Phase I.
- During the registration process, Jamati members can indicate their preference to attend on recurring days (e.g. every Thursday). They can also indicate if they need a chair or other special arrangements. If your Jamatkhana is scheduled to open, you will also be able to request one-off (i.e. non-recurring) days on which to attend.
- Once your Jamatkhana is open, the system will allocate spaces based on capacity and on the principle of ensuring equitable access, and will send you an email once your spot is confirmed.
- Allocation will be completed one week in advance to help Jamati members with their planning. Where Jamatkhanas have not allocated all of their space, one-off registration can be completed up to the day of Jamatkhana.
Those individuals who do not have access to a computer or who need help registering can call the ACCESS phone line at 1-888-536-3599.

Please visit the Jamatkhana Re-opening site https://iicanada.org/togetheragain for FAQs and full details, including a list of Jamatkhanas opening in Phase I and their scheduled opening dates.

Members of the Jamat who do not normally attend the Jamatkhanas which are opening in Phase I are URGED NOT TO TRAVEL to these locations. Doing so will put the local Jamat at increased risk, and will compromise the ability of the local Jamat to attend their regular Jamatkhana. Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Jamatkhana Registration Video
Please view this Jamatkhana Registration Video that walks you through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN9E13F ... e=youtu.be
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Google translation of the original article in French:

https://the.ismaili/france/r%C3%A9ouver ... -en-france

Reopening of the Jamatkhanas in France

Dear Jamat,

We are very happy to inform the Jamat of the reopening of the Jamatkhanas in France. After the Centers de Chantilly, Grenoble, Montpellier, Nantes and Nice in France as well as the Centers of Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland, the Jamatkhanas of Paris - Paris region - Lyon - Pau - Tarbes and Toulouse will in turn open from Saturday July 25 following changes in the distancing rules in France. These reopenings of places of worship are done under strict conditions defined by the government and respecting the direction given by Mawlana Hazar Imam to ensure first of all the health and safety of the Jamat.

These openings do not mean a return to normal! They are done with the implementation of solid sanitary measures and according to a protocol to ensure the safety of the Jamat.

It is essential that each of us strictly follow the 7 steps and we thank you in advance for your collaboration in the rules presented below:

7 RULES TO FOLLOW TO COME TO JAMATKHANA:

- I make sure that I am in good health and that I have no vulnerabilities
- I register on Jamat.info for the day (s) I wish to attend the ceremonies and at my usual Center
- I come with my mask
- I come with my Tasbih
- I disinfect my hands when I arrive and in the different areas of the Center
- I take my place in the places marked in the prayer space
-I follow the instructions of the volunteers and the Mukhis-Kamadias

Click here to watch the video
PROTOCOLE OUVERTURE JK - JURIDICTION FRANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYhjPL ... e=youtu.be

Click here to watch the video

PROCESS RE-OPENING JK - FRANCE JURISDICTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w4wkTr ... e=youtu.be
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Post COVID-19 Care | AKHB,I | Dr. Sulaiman Ladhani

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no1W8gsfsYc

In this video brought to you by Aga Khan Health Board for India, Dr. Sulaiman Ladhani, Chest Specialist at Prince Aly Khan Hospital and Former Chairman of the Aga Khan Health Board for India explains the issues that we may face after recovering from COVID-19 and what measures we can take to effectively tackle the same.

We hope you find this video insightful! Do like, share, and subscribe to our channel!

AKDN global response to COVID 19 pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8i77k0x4I

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8i77k0x4I
Admin

Post by Admin »

Covid-19: Ontario, Canada Jamatkhana re-opening progressively

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Jamatkhana Re-opening Updates
August 9, 2020 | Canada

We are pleased to share that the following Jamatkhanas will re-open this week, as part of Canada's Re-opening Plan.

Edmonton

Headquarters - Wednesday, August 12

Ontario

Barrie - Monday, August 10
Halton - Tuesday, August 11
East York - Saturday, August 15
Willowdale - Saturday, August 15
Don Mills - Sunday, August 16
Unionville - Sunday, August 16

Quebec

Sherbrooke - Thursday, August 13

As we continue our phased and careful approach, intensive safety preparations and volunteer training has been completed for each Jamatkhana prior to re-opening. These measures will ensure that all local health regulations are met or exceeded to protect the health and safety of the Jamat.

Members of the Jamats listed above who have not already registered, are encouraged to do so on the Jamatkhana Registration site https://jkreg.iicanada.org/en/. Those who have already registered are not required to do anything further, as the system will allocate spaces to you based on your preferred day(s) of attendance.

Members of the Jamat who do not normally attend these Jamatkhanas, are humbly requested not to travel to these locations, and to respect the health and safety needs of the local Jamat.

We congratulate those Jamatkhanas that have successfully opened to date and express our gratitude to all of the volunteers for their exceptional work to ensure we meet and exceed safety standards. We look forward to the announcement of future Jamatkhana re-openings in the days and weeks ahead.

Please consult the Canada Jamatkhana Re-opening Page https://iicanada.org/togetheragain for the most current details and information.

--

Video: How to confirm your allocated spot and check your Jamatkhana for availability.

https://iicanada.org/news/faith-traditi ... tent=39869
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

AKDN pandemic response: Clinical trial in Kenya

Professor Mansoor Saleh of the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi explains the partnership with Roche Pharmaceuticals Kenya, as both institutions participate in a global clinical trial for potential treatment of Covid-19 associated pneumonia.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnbCYNNMP50
Admin

Post by Admin »

2010-08-10 Letter of Prince Amyn Aga Khan as Chairman of the Aga KHan Museum.

During the Museum’s physical closure, our team has worked very hard to bring to you our Museum Without Walls. I hope that our virtual programming of exhibitions, Pocket Performances, and family activities has brought you both comfort and joy. As the Museum has now reopened, we look forward to reconnecting with you to restore a sense of normalcy to our lives through our shared love of the arts.

READ MORE ON THE LINK BELOW:

http://ismaili.net/timeline/2020/2020-0 ... er-akm.pdf

Admin

Post by Admin »

More Jamatkhanas are re-opening as the Covid-19 crisis seems to come to a more acceptable level.

Quebec
•Sherbrooke - Thursday, August 13
•Brossard - Monday, August 17
•Laval - Monday, August 17

Ontario
•East York - Saturday, August 15
•Willowdale - Saturday, August 15
•Don Mills - Sunday, August 16
•Unionville - Sunday, August 16

Edmonton
•Headquarters - Wednesday, August 12
Prairies
•Headquarters - Thursday, August 13
•South - Saturday, August 15
•Westwinds - Sunday, August 16
•Franklin - Monday, August 17
•Northwest - Tuesday, August 18
•Lethbridge - Thursday, August 20
Admin

Post by Admin »

Jamatkhana are opening but Paranoia is in the air and the religious ceremonies, which our Imam calls "backbone of our faith "has been soiled in the hurry to open the Jk while the crisis is still going strong.

*Religious Practices*
Face mask on at all times
No socializing after
Shorter ceremonies
Less time between JK ceremonies and majalis ceremonies
No physical contact between jamat and MKs
Place all submissions into single bowl, including awal sufro
MKs will give Du’a with hand on heart
Waterless Chantaa
Volunteer to wipe down paats
No one will sit next to the Du’a reciter
Shah-jo deedar with hand on heart
Jamat will not sing zikr - only the reciter will sing
Same with ginan/qasida - sing solo
Farman in plastic sleeve comes out of folder - leave Farman at the podium, folder to be wiped down after
No Nandi

_Niyaz_
No pyaalis - bottles only (cannot bring from home)
Agarbati flame extinguished by rapid movement of hand
Niyaz bottles to start being filled after ghat paat Du’a (during K’Saheb tasbhi
Extra bottles of niyaz will be filled
No sukhrit - wrapped candies on plate

_Volunteers_
replenish candies and juro
Ensure social distance
Wiping and cleaning

_Juro_
Ghatpaat - Placed on a tray and spaced out singly
No distribution of juro for non ghatpaat majalis - pick up upon exit

_Samar_
Samar ceremonies will be deferred in the first week to 10 days
No ruhani trays or raisins - wrapped candy

_Volunteers_
Guide family to sit in front
Candies

_Bayah_
Touch-less bayah
Waterless chhanta
Ab e Safa - bottle to take home

*Murid Journey*
Communication
- lcds, posters, signage, announcements, Friday night reflection, etc

_Registration_
Stage 1 - online profile registration
Stage 2 - attendance registration
Stage 3 - scheduling and allocation based on priority and space availability (families will be allocated together) using an algorithm
Stage 4 - confirm or cancel registration within 72 hours of your attendance

_Check-in_
QR code
Screening
Chair passes
Walk-ins can enter after the cut-off time for registered murids, provided there is space

Volunteer in charge of registration check-in must enforce capacity limits including chair limits

Drop off area will have it’s own registration area and ppl are requested not to use this if possible (for the purpose of flow)
No multi faith family members allowed
No water fountains - bring your own water bottle
Wear your own shoes in the washroom
Slippers only for people who can’t use their own shoes - need to be sanitized at the end of JK
Limited hangars - need to be sanitized after JK

_Prayer Hall_
One-way flow into and out of JK
Sit in a designated space unless with children
Markers on floor
Wara reciters will be given a microphone cover which will be discarded after (sanitize hands before and after)
People who have done Du’a karavi before JK will do niyaz first
Jamat to leave immediately after jk ceremonies

_Special considerations _
expectant mothers
parents with children
older adults with impaired mobility
people with linguistic barriers
people with special needs

_Volunteering_
Between 13-69 years of age and not immunocompromised
No more VMS check-in
Volunteers can select their preferences for the week on the OneIV Portal and will get a bar code in addition to the QR code they present at check-in
Volunteers performing duty outside JK cannot come into JK during ceremonies (have to wait)

*Facility Cleaning & Disinfection*
Many surfaces need to be cleaned - there is a list
Pre-opening of JK - flush toilets, etc
After JK
During JK - every 30 minutes wipe
No dusting or sweeping - use damp cleaning methods
Don’t need frequent cleaning for soft surfaces such as carpets
In case of incident, clean surface with soap and water/disinfectant
Thorough clean = wash with hot detergent solution, rinse with clean water, disinfect with spray or wiping cloth, air dry
Quick disinfectant clean = wipes require 5-10 minutes wet contact time to be effective, so use supplies that are meant for 30-60 seconds wet time

*Next Steps*
Module 5 - individual Jamatkhana operations
Admin

Post by Admin »

More Jk re-opening

Edinburgh will be the first UK Jamatkhana to reopen on Sat 29th Aug

Milton Keynes, Reading, Sheffield, and Nottingham on the 30/31 Aug.

From Saturday Al Saha will start to provide information to the Jamat regarding registration processes etc for each Jamat.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Interview with Dr Gijs Walraven, Director of Health at the Aga Khan Development Network

It is important that each of us wear a face mask when we are in a public setting where we could be exposed to a large group of people, and especially in an indoor, closed area.

Based in Geneva, Dr Walraven has direct management responsibility for the Aga Khan Health Service Companies, located in South and Central Asia, East Africa, and the Middle East. In this interview, he explains the value and importance of wearing a face mask in our continued fight against Covid-19.

How can face masks make a difference in our fight against Covid-19? How do masks protect wearers or the people around them?

In our response to Covid-19 we need to follow the evidence, and when it comes to wearing face masks, we have much better evidence today than four to five months ago that it plays an important role in the prevention of transmission of the infection.

We now know that wearing a mask might not protect someone from contracting Covid-19, but it can prevent you from infecting others. People often think that because they feel fine and don’t have symptoms, they don’t have to wear a mask. But the reality is that at least one in six people infected with Covid-19 do not show symptoms. This means that even when you look and feel healthy, you may have come in contact with the virus that causes the Covid-19 disease and may, in fact, be a carrier, passing the virus to anyone who comes into contact with you during its incubation period. Wearing a mask can prevent transmission of the infection. Here’s how:

Masks lower the risk of people infected with Covid-19 from spreading the virus through the saliva and mucous droplets they expel into the air when they speak, cough, or sneeze. These droplets often evaporate into tiny particles that can linger in the air and infect others. By wearing a mask, a person who is infected can trap their droplets into a face covering before they can evaporate and become contagious for others.

When combined with frequent hand washing, physical distancing (keeping at least 1.5 meters between you and others) and limiting how much you touch your face, wearing a mask can lower the spread of Covid-19. Simply put, it’s the responsible thing that each and every one of us can and should do because masks are only effective if they are worn by all people in public settings.

What are the types of face coverings and why does it matter? Which types are best?

The World Health Organization guidance is that for the average person who is not working with patients in a healthcare setting, a cloth face mask is best. But it’s important that we understand the differences between the various masks that are being used in most countries around the world.

- N95 respirators (or professional-grade medical masks): These masks are medical devices that are used by healthcare professionals and first responders (like firefighters, police officers, emergency room personnel, and ambulance staff) to protect themselves from exposure. The individuals who wear these masks have to get them fitted to ensure they are using the right make, model, and size to form a tight seal between the air outside the mask and their face. N95 respirators are currently in short supply around the world, especially in developing countries and should be reserved for the use of healthcare professionals and first responders only.

- Surgical masks: These masks are disposable paper masks that cover the mouth and nose. These are the masks you often see doctors and nurses wearing during surgeries and other medical procedures. Although they do not fit tightly on the face, they are fluid resistant and provide some protection against larger respiratory droplets from coughs and sneezes. Unlike cloth face masks, surgical masks cannot be washed and must be discarded after each use.

- Cloth masks: These masks are made from multiple layers of fabric to create a barrier between your nose and mouth, and the outside air. They hold back any respiratory droplets that you may breathe, cough or sneeze out. It’s important to remember, however, that the thicker the mask, the greater the barrier. The great thing about cloth masks is that you can make them yourself using fabrics from your home. To learn how you can make your own mask, take a look at this guide developed by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.

- Face shields: These are clear sheets of plastic that are attached to a headband to cover your face from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin. If you are able to maintain a physical distance of at least 1.5 meters from others when in public and if you are wearing a mask, you do not need a face shield. Face shields should never be worn alone as they do not provide the same protection as a mask because they do not offer a barrier against respiratory droplets, which can still come up from under the plastic sheet.

How should one wear a mask?

Select a mask that covers your mouth, nose, and chin completely, and that can be secured tightly. Make sure the mask is clean before you put it on. If the mask is wet or damaged in any way, do not use it. Do not use disposable masks more than once.

Before you touch your mask, make sure you wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly. If your mask has ear loops, hold the mask using the ear loops and place a loop around each ear. If your mask has ties, bring the mask in level with your nose and securely tie the straps around your head and neck. Pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin, and make sure there are no gaps on the sides.

It is important to not touch the front of your mask as you’re putting it on and taking it off as this area may have trapped germs, bacteria, and viruses that can be transferred to your hands.

Once you remove the mask, wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly. Do not share masks with your friends or family.

How should one remove their mask safely?

Just like when you put on your mask, start by washing your hands with soap and water. If your mask has ear loops, hold both the ear loops to gently lift the mask away from your face to remove it. If your mask has ties, untie the bottom strap first followed by the top strap. Using the straps, release the mask from your face. Do not touch the front of the mask as it may be contaminated.

If you’re using a disposable mask, throw it away in a covered wastebasket. If you’re using a homemade face mask, store it in a clean, sealed plastic bag. Only do this if it is not dirty or wet, and if you plan to reuse it. Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth when removing your mask.

Remember that homemade masks must be washed regularly to be effective. Wash the mask with soap or detergent using hot water (if available) at least once a day.

masks_2.png

Are there specific people who should or should not wear a mask?

The answer to this question is simple: Each and every one of us should wear a mask, every time we leave our homes, and when it is not possible to maintain a physical distance of at least 1.5 meters from others.

The only exceptions to this recommendation are people that have a respiratory condition (like asthma) where wearing a mask could pose a greater health risk than benefit, or those who have suffered a trauma and find it distressing to wear a mask. Masks should also not be worn by children under the age of two or by people who are unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove their mask on their own.

Why do we need to keep masks on during communal prayer?

It is important that each of us wear a face mask when we are in a public setting where we could be exposed to a large group of people, and especially in an indoor, closed area.

While community prayer halls have made provisions to safeguard against transmission by enforcing physical distancing measures, and making hand sanitisers, as well as soap and water available to members, in reality it is not always possible to keep at least 1.5 meters away from others. In these instances, wearing a face mask can reduce the risk of one person infecting others in the community with Covid-19.

For additional information about face masks, please log on to the AKDN Covid-19 Digital Resource Library. Here you’ll find information about how to make a cloth mask, as well as clear guidance on when, where, and how to wear it.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/feature ... nt-network

View this AKDN factsheet to learn more

https://the.ismaili/file/akdn_mask_fact_sheet_0.pdf
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

An Update on Jamatkhana Re-openings from President Samir Manji

President Samir Manji delivers an update on Jamatkhana re-openings in British Columbia.

Video:

https://iicanada.org/news/faith-traditi ... tent=40262
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Teachers and students of the Jamat embrace remote learning amidst pandemic

The Covid-19 pandemic has forced teachers and students around the world to make an abrupt transition from classrooms to remote learning as schools, universities, and religious education centres were closed. Teachers redesigned lessons and adapted to the new reality of keeping students engaged virtually. Meanwhile, students adjusted to learning online without the ease of classroom interactions. Ismaili teachers and students around the world have risen to this challenge and are finding ways to embrace remote learning and tap into the opportunities it offers.

Fayaz Mawani, who teaches junior and senior sciences in North Burnaby, Canada, had to use creative techniques to quickly prepare effective online learning modules when schools in British Columbia were closed earlier this year. Providing students with the experiential learning gained through laboratory experiments and dissections was not possible through an online platform. Therefore, Fayaz adapted to remote learning by utilising online science laboratories, dissection videos, and other resources. Though these lessons could not provide the tactile and experiential learning that comes with performing experiments, his students responded enthusiastically and were motivated to think critically and ask thoughtful questions.

The Aga Khan Education Board for Tanzania addressed the challenges of remote learning by finding new ways to make further use of an online learning tool called IXL that they had already been using prior to the pandemic. IXL provides students with an opportunity to learn and increase their knowledge outside of school. The platform includes online competitions that keep students engaged and motivated. Two additional competitions were introduced during the Covid-19 pandemic to encourage students to utilise the time being spent at home.

IXL is used by over 350 students in Tanzania and Zambia and has positively impacted their learning experience and academic performance. One sixth-grade student and IXL award-winner, praised the platform’s contribution to her learning experience during the pandemic, saying: “My experience with IXL has encouraged me to strive for the best and has given me an opportunity to practice independent learning, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Teachers have also been searching for ways to replace the element of human interaction found in classrooms by giving students feedback and answering questions remotely. Zohra Samji, a high school Algebra teacher based in Dallas, had already introduced her students to a blended learning model before the onset of Covid-19, teaching both in-person and virtually by using online videos and Google Classroom. While this eased the transition to remote learning, Zohra still had to make some adjustments to bridge the gap left by moving fully online.

“To provide feedback and my support to the students, I maintain daily office hours through Zoom, and provide constant feedback and communication,” she explained.

Students frequently contact Zohra outside office hours and she has made herself available for long hours to accommodate them.

Yaseena Khalfan, a teacher at the Aga Khan Academy in Nairobi, has faced similar challenges. Transitioning to remote learning required her to be creative and learn new skills to design lessons that would be engaging online. She has been putting long hours into planning lessons and grading assignments since classes shifted online.

“I have had to really dive deep into those creative juices to make teaching as interactive as I would have done in class by using different tools such as Padlet, Kahoot, and Mentimeter,” she said. Yaseena also holds a Zoom session every week during which her students can talk to their classmates and listen to music, which helps keep them connected with their peers now that they are unable to meet at school.

Students have also faced challenges in adjusting to the dynamics of remote learning during a pandemic. For example, some students are struggling with the transition to remote learning due to socio-economic problems. Many students lack access to laptops and Internet connectivity. Also, as a result of the economic slowdown caused by the pandemic, many students have taken up jobs and are working eight-hour shifts to help their families. Others are responsible for taking care of their younger siblings while their parents work full-time jobs as essential workers. Balancing such responsibilities and education can strain students physically, mentally, and emotionally.

With the suspension of religious classes, Bait-ul-Ilm (BUI) and STEP have also transitioned to remote learning in many countries around the world. With the closure of religious education centres, teachers have had to set up a system for remote learning and engage students without being physically present.

alysha.png
Alysha Rahim, a BUI teacher in North Vancouver, B.C., has been conducting classes via Zoom.
Alysha Rahim, a BUI teacher in North Vancouver, B.C., has been conducting classes via Zoom.
PHOTO: THE ISMAILI
“We had to make many changes during the transition to teaching online,” said Alysha Rahim from Burnaby. “We had to completely adjust our teaching style, but luckily the students were very adaptable and forgiving as we settled into the new format.”

Sanya Tejani from Chicago highlighted that teachers worked cooperatively and assisted each other to smooth the transition, saying, “STEP teachers shared best practices, teaching and learning strategies and tips, as well as reflections with one another throughout the entire virtual learning process.”

Keeping students engaged and attentive during online sessions can be a challenge. STEP and BUI teachers have tried to solve this problem by keeping sessions interactive with questions, discussions, and small group activities to keep their attention. Alysha praised these efforts, saying, “The BUI team did a fantastic job of adapting the lessons to match the platform. Instead of modifying lessons, the team used online tools to create lessons that were designed to be taught online.”

These lessons included videos depicting Islamic history and the contributions of Muslim scholars, inventors, scientists, and mathematicians. Google Earth was used to virtually take students from one destination to the next as students explored civilisations through online videos and discussion.

“Overall, students were able to grasp the key learning objectives that we would expect whether online or in person,” Alysha said.
The shift to remote learning has been challenging for students and teachers. However, it has also revealed the opportunities that remote learning and online tools hold. Online learning can be a much more personalised experience than learning in classrooms. Students can learn at a pace that feels comfortable to them as they can work ahead when they feel comfortable with the subject matter, and spend more time on parts that they find challenging. In addition, online tools can help teachers engage students and communicate ideas more effectively.

During her experience with remote learning, Sanya observed that “some individuals shine brighter on the virtual platform.” She said that she would like to retain some aspects of teaching online after the pandemic is over.

“Now that we understand how to navigate the virtual learning environment better, we can integrate online components to keep students engaged.”

Photos at:

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... t-pandemic
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Message from the Jamati Institutions

After careful consideration, a decision has been taken to postpone the reopening of Jamatkhanas in London UK scheduled for Monday 14th September.

These include the following Jamatkhanas:

Darkhana
East London
North London
Northwest London
South London
South East London
West London
Admin

Post by Admin »

https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumbai ... 9/22982207

Mumbai: City gets 50,000 litre of drinking water from Ismaili Community during COVID-19

Updated: 12 September, 2020 10:18 IST | Rajendra B Aklekar | Mumbai
The team of volunteers from the Ismaili Kurla Jamat Khana have been serving COVID-19 patients, frontline workers, and migrants since May 2020.
Members of the Ismaili Muslim community-based at Kurla
Members of the Ismaili Muslim community-based at Kurla

Kurla's Ismaili Muslim community has been gathering accolades for their water distribution work being done in every corner of the city during the COVID-19 crisis. Their team of volunteers based at the Ismaili Jamat Khana, Kurla, has so far distributed 50,000 litres so far at nine locations across the city, including multiple COVID-19 hospitals and CCC1 center. This noble initiative has already won them praise from multiple senior officials at the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), and even form the Mayor of Mumbai, Kishori Pednekar on social media.

COVID-BKC
A dedicated COVID-19 centre at Bandra Kurla Complex

Speaking on the occasion, Dr Rajesh Dere - the dean of the massive 2,000-plus bed COVID-19 facility in Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC) - said, "Volunteers from the Ismaili Kurla Jamat Khana have been supporting us with drinking water and paper cups for more than three months now and we've already received more than 25,000 litres of water from them, so far. They are always available when we need their help and we are thankful to the Ismaili Muslim Community of Mumbai and we congratulate them for completing the 50,000-litre milestone."

The team also has been distributing drinking water at the BMC-CIDCO Jumbo facility built at Mulund. "The volunteers of Ismaili Kurla Jamat Khana have helped us with more than 8,000 litres of drinking water and we wholeheartedly congratulate them on hitting the 50,000-litre mark in serving the city of Mumbai," said Dr. Pradeep Angre, the dean of the Mulund COVID-19 facility.

Water-Imail-Community
Kurla's Ismaili Muslim community has distributed 50,000 litres of water across nine locations to date

Additionally, the team of volunteers has joined hands with the Mumbai North Central District forum that are helping them scout locations for water delivery. The team received a request from the patients at the Genesis COVID-19 centre in Vile Parle that falls under the BMC K Eastward and since then, the centre has been the beneficiary of clean drinking water.

"We were having delays in procuring clean drinking water for our staff and the patients earlier. Now, thanks to the Ismaili Kurla Jamat Khana volunteers, we've received more than 3,000 litres of clean drinking water for everyone based at this facility. Hitting the 50,000-litre milestone for the huge city of Mumbai is no small feat and we are grateful to them for this kind gesture," said one of the doctors stationed there.

In addition to the above-mentioned locations, the team sent drinking water to multiple facilities in Mulund, including the Riddhi-Siddhi COVID-19 centre and the centre at Mithaghar School. Both these locations are situated in BMC Ward T. The Ismaili Jamat Khana volunteer team has since then also distributed 1,200 litres of water for resident doctors and frontline workers at Cooper Hospital in Andheri and has also supplied 600 litres to the Ghatkopar CCC2 centre that falls under BMC Ward N.

Volunteer-Ismail-Water
A volunteer of the Ismaili community distributes bottles of drinking water to migrants

The team started this initiative by distributing drinking water at the LTT Terminus Railway station and were later joined by a group of generous volunteers from the Chembur Gurudwara. Both teams were able to serve to around 24,600 migrants, who received a single 1-litre water bottle each.

Dr Parmeet Banga, a member of the volunteer team based at the Chembur Gurudwara said, "We are happy to work together with the Ismaili Muslim Community of Kurla, Mumbai. It was a great experience for all of us and also wonderful to work together with a different community, for a common goal. We congratulate them for their massive contribution of 50,000 litres of water to the City of Mumbai."

While 50,000 litres is a major milestone for the small team from the Ismaili Kurla Jamat Khana, they plan to continue to serve COVID-19 patients and frontline workers in the city for as long as they have funding.

If you wish to contribute, please contact Akbar on 9833544773.

Facts

Amount of water distributed: 50,000 litres and counting
Number of locations in Mumbai: 9 so far
Rough cost-estimate of procuring clean water: Rs 3.25 lakh
Total number of team members: 10