COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Related Updates

Activities in your jamats including posting of announcements
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

A message from the Aga Khan Health Board regarding the COVID 19 vaccine.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMJiQO-NbE
Admin

Post by Admin »

As received

Re-opening of Kingston Jamatkhana

The Council for Ottawa is pleased to advise the Jamat of the planned re-opening of Jamatkhanas, using a cautious and deliberate approach.

Kingston Jamatkhana will re-open on Tuesday, February 23, 2021. The re-opening date for Ottawa Jamatkhana is to be determined.

We continue to closely monitor the evolving public health situation with our health professionals. Preparations and volunteer training are underway to mitigate risk and to safeguard the health of the Jamat.

Members of the Jamat who have already registered to attend Jamatkhana through the Jamatkhana registration site do not need to take any further action - the registration system will assign spots and inform Jamati members as spots become available.

Please check for updates through the Al-Akhbar, the iiCanada App, and TheIsmaili Ottawa Facebook and Instagram pages. Please only use these official sources for communication and refrain from circulating messages from private sources.

Thank you for your understanding and support, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Re-opening of Jamatkhanas in Calgary

We are pleased to share with the Jamat that Calgary Jamatkhanas will re-open on the dates below for evening ceremonies:

• Calgary Headquarters on Thursday, February 25

• South on Saturday, February 27

• Westwinds on Sunday, February 28

• Franklin: To be confirmed

• Northwest: To be confirmed

The Jamat will be advised of additional Jamatkhana re-opening dates soon.

We continue to closely monitor the evolving public health situation with our health professionals. Preparations and volunteer training are underway to mitigate risk and to safeguard the health of the Jamat.

Members of the Jamat who have already registered to attend Jamatkhana through the Jamatkhana registration site do not need to take any further action - the registration system will assign spots and inform Jamati members as spots become available.

We would like to express our gratitude to all of the volunteers for their exceptional work to ensure we meet and exceed safety standards.

Please consult the Canada Jamatkhana Re-opening Page https://iicanada.org/togetheragain for the most current details and information on registration details, safety precautions, Jamatkhana capacity and more.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Pandemic perseverance: Pursuing your dreams during Covid-19

I always saw the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) as a daunting exam; nevertheless, the fact that so many students would be taking it with me physically gave me some sense of moral support, even if that support was coming from strangers.

I never expected studying for this exam to take such a different turn with the pandemic hitting during my first semester of studying; suddenly, I no longer had the presence of random students trying their best at a beast of an exam, the library corner that I had claimed specifically for MCAT studying, or the friends that I needed to tell me that I could do whatever I set my mind to. Yes, the pandemic shifted the way I had planned to study for this test, but not for a moment did I think that a virus, invisible to the naked eye, could take my focus away from the end goal. In retrospect, our dreams may often take a different path than we initially planned, but we can still arrive where we want.

As a college student, school is so much more than the exams I take and the grades I work towards; it's about people, the walk from biology class to the Activity Center, the spontaneous conversations with professors, and above all, the joy it gives to simply be a recipient of a good education. Even during exams, amongst all the contagious fret and worry that seemed to run through the lecture hall, knowing that friends and strangers were around me, taking the test with me in proximity, had a sort of calming relief as I began my test.

Since the beginning of the Fall semester, I have been studying for the MCAT, a medical school admissions exam. Like many others taking entrance exams, wearing a mask for seven hours was not quite the experience I had imagined. I knew that studying for this test was going to be challenging due to the sheer amount of information that had to be learned, but I hadn’t taken into account the challenge that Covid-19 would bring; I hadn’t fully appreciated what it meant to sit in the library with my friends, cramming for a class. Although I knew my friends across state borders were studying for the exam as well, I couldn’t help but feel a certain demotivation that came along with not seeing them and feeling their energy as we struggled and persevered as a group.

Although my test is now complete, it reminded me of what it means to be in the presence of those who make you feel like while every day may be a struggle, we are always victorious at the end. Covid has been hard for many; as a student, I thought that the convenience of simply having my bedroom as my office would make life so much easier; while that is true to some degree, for me, people matter; the conversations on campus matter; spontaneous moments with professors matter and Covid has somewhat altered that reality, replacing it with a new one.

As humans, we have always adjusted and evolved; in fact, the current pandemic is a testament to that very idea. While every day seems to be prey to the routine of yesterday, it is in fact our ability as a species to continue dreaming, pursuing, and reaching that makes us such a unique community.

Too often during the pandemic I have heard many talk about returning to “normalcy” or going back to the “way things were.” While it may seem like the life we have post-Covid will be a return of our old lives and habits, I believe that we are actually heading into a fresh start, a chance to step into a new way of living.

We all learn something every day and that knowledge makes each day quite different than the previous one; perhaps our very evolution is being put to the test during this pandemic. Can we rise from a strange, unnatural event that has shifted our thinking, our mindset, and our emotions? Can we truly dream during a time when the very institutions that facilitate learning have been diminished to a mere screen? I think we can; as a Jamat, as a community, as a global village, I think we will grow from this time and rise to a better version of ourselves that has learned, that has evolved, that has changed for the better. I know we will. People will always be a part of our lives, because we need each other to survive, to innovate, to create.

This one moment in time may have slightly changed how we interact and how much, but one thing that will remain constant as we evolve is our everlasting need for each other.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/feature ... g-covid-19
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Editorial 1st March 2021

Ya Ali Madad,

It´s been nearly one year since our lives have changed drastically. We had to learn a new reality and a new way of living. Even though there have been moments of despair, there were also moments of knowledge and gratitude.

The novel coronavirus COVID-19 taught us that life isn’t linear and that at any moment everything can change. Our most valuable asset is, without a doubt, good health.

Unfortunately, during this pandemic, we lost some of our dear loved ones and the goodbye was not properly said due to the new rules. But we need to be at peace with it and pray for their souls.

It is even more important that we continue to follow our government measures and contribute to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.

As we approach March, there are two important dates to be celebrated: International Women’s Day and our New Year, Navroz.

International Women's Day is an occasion to celebrate the progress made towards achieving gender equality and women's empowerment but also to critically reflect on those accomplishments and strive for a greater momentum towards gender equality worldwide. It is a day to recognize the extraordinary acts of women and to stand together, as a united force, to advance gender equality around the world.

Navroz is the day of the vernal equinox and marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. It marks the first day of the first month (Farvardin) of the Iranian calendars. The moment the Sun crosses the celestial equator and equalizes night and day is calculated exactly every year and families gather together to observe the rituals.

Let us look forward to the New Year and new wishes for the year ahead.

https://the.ismaili/portugal/editorial-1st-march-2021
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

MENTAL HEALTH SEMINAR

Due to the pandemic, many of us have had to work from home, attend school online and face other challenges that may have affected our mental health in more ways than one.

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.

Fear, worry, and stress are normal responses to perceived or real threats, and at times when we are faced with uncertainty or the unknown. So, it is normal and understandable that people are experiencing fear in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Added to the fear of contracting the virus in a pandemic such as COVID-19 are the significant changes to our daily lives as our movements are restricted in support of efforts to contain and slow down the spread of the virus. Faced with new realities of working from home, temporary unemployment, home-schooling of children, and lack of physical contact with other family members, friends and colleagues, we must look after our mental, as well as our physical, health.

In an attempt to help bring the Jamat together to understand these challenges and ways to cope with them, a webinar was held on Monday, 22nd February to discuss COVID-19 related mental health stressors for parents and children, ways to cope with these stressors followed by a discussion where everyone had the opportunity to share any challenges they may be facing.

One of the themes discussed was children and Covid-19 and some pointers were given:

• Maintain familiar routines as much as possible, or create new ones, especially if you must stay at home.
• Discuss the new coronavirus with your children honestly, using age-appropriate language.
• Support your children with at-home learning and make sure time is set aside for play.
• Help children find positive ways to express feelings such as fear and sadness. Sometimes engaging in a creative activity, such as playing or drawing, can help you with this process.
• Help children stay in contact with friends and family members through telephone and online channels.
• Make sure that your children have time away from screens every day and spend time doing off-line activities together.
• Do something creative: draw a picture, write a poem, build something. Bake a cake. Sing or dance, or play in your garden, if you have one.
• Try and ensure that your children do not spend significantly more time than usual on video games.

For adults:

• Keep in regular contact with loved ones, for example by telephone, e-mail, social media, or video conference.
• Keep regular routines and schedules as much as possible for eating, sleeping, and activities you enjoy.
• Learn simple daily physical exercises to do at home when in quarantine so you can maintain mobility.

The purpose of this seminar was to facilitate a conversation around mental health and to help bring everyone together to help and support each other through these trying times.

Around 60 people were present as methods of calming down and strategies to better face these challenges were also discussed.

https://the.ismaili/portugal/mental-health-seminar
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Portuguese Government And Aga Khan Development Network Activate The Second Phase Of Donation Of Medical Protection Material To Mozambique

Within the framework of the joint initiative to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in Mozambique, the Government of the Portuguese Republic, through Camões – Instituto da Cooperação e Língua (bilateral agency of co-operation), and the Aga Khan Development Network Mozambique (AKDN-M), donated medical protection material: 100,000 surgical masks and 5,000 disposable individual protection gowns for medical personnel and other health professionals to the governmental entities in Maputo Province, including the City of Matola.

The ceremony took place on 20 November, before the session of the Council of the State Representation Services of the Province of Maputo and was hosted by Her Excellency the Secretary of State and Coordinator of the Response to OVID-19 in Maputo Province, Vitória Dias Diogo.

In his speech, the AKDN Diplomatic Representative, Nazim Ahmad, stated that“in conjunction thewith State entities, we first wanted to support the most vulnerable segments of society with the first donation [held on July 14]. Now, with this second donation and having the pandemic evolved naturally in Mozambique, we are contributingfor the protection of those who are in the front line of this fight, that is, medical personnel and other health professionals.” Nazim Ahmad also said that “the donation, which we symbolically witness today, reflects our sense of responsibility, mandate, institutional ethics and moral principles - to lend a hand to those who need it most and thus be able to contribute in a humble way, in this case, to thepandemic caused by the Corona virus”.

For the Ambassador of Portugal do Mozambique, Maria Amélia Paiva, “the personal protection equipment donated today is produced by Mozambicans, from companies based in this Province, which again, contributes to maintain and boost the local economic activity and support the private sector, very affected by the pandemic of COVID-19”. Maria Amélia Paiva added that “the fact that this donation ceremony takes place during the working session of the Operative Centrefor Emergency Public Health, demonstrates the high priority that represents a coordinated action by the health sector. The partnership with the Aga Khan Development Network is exemplary in this context and has demonstrated the necessary and successful congregation of effortsto ensure an effective and complete response to the challenges faced by the health systems.”

Lastly, the Secretary of State for the Province of Maputo and Coordinator of the Response to COVID-19 in the Province of Maputo, Vitória Dias Diogo thanked to the Portuguese Government, throughCamões, and the AKDN for this donation for yet another such timely and pertinent support, of immeasurable importance for the Maputo Provinceresponse to the 19-COVID pandemic.Vitória Dias Diogo assured that “these gowns and masks will make a big difference in the provincial strategy in mitigating the effects of COVID-19. In July we received 100,000reusable masks that contributed greatly to the mitigation and prevention of COVID-19 in our Province. Today, when we go to schoolswe can find young people with the masks that were donated at the time, when we go to religious confessions we find believers bringing and using the masks that were donated at the time, when we go to the Technical-Professional Training Institutes we find teachers, we go to the markets we find sellers and even in houses and homes we find Mozambicans residing in Maputo Province wearing the masks that were donated to us in July.The joint effort of the Government of the Portuguese Republic, through Camões, and AKDN-M will enable the provision of free surgical masks and disposable personal protective gowns to medical staff and other health professionals who are at the forefront of the fight against the pandemic.

This combined donation adds medical protective equipment to the donation made by the two entities on 19 July which included 100,000 reusable masks.

This support is part of the Action Plan for the health response to the COVID-19 pandemic between Portugal and the PALOP (African Portuguese-speaking countries) and East Timor.

https://the.ismaili/mozambique/mozambiq ... tivate-the
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Re-opening of Ontario Jamatkhanas
March 3, 2021 | Ontario
The Council for Ontario is pleased to advise the Jamat of the planned re-opening of Ontario Jamatkhanas, using a cautious and deliberate approach.

The following Jamatkhanas will re-open on Friday, March 5, 2021:

• Belleville

• Brantford

• Sudbury

• Windsor

The following Jamatkhanas will re-open on Saturday, March 6, 2021:

• Guelph

• Kitchener

• London

The re-opening dates for other Ontario Jamatkhanas will be communicated once confirmed.

Jamatkhana capacity upon re-opening will be limited and will be adjusted as circumstances permit.

We continue to monitor the public health situation with our health professionals. Preparations including volunteer training are underway to mitigate risk and to safeguard the health of the Jamat.

Members of the Jamat who have already registered to attend Jamatkhana through the Jamatkhana registration site https://jkreg.iicanada.org/en/ do not need to take any further action - the registration system will assign spots and inform Jamati members as spots become available.

Only Jamati members with allocated spots will be able to attend Jamatkhana. Walk-ins will not be permitted at this time.

Please consult the Canada Jamatkhana Re-opening Page for the latest information. Please check for updates through the Al-Akhbar, the iiCanada App, and TheIsmaili Ontario Facebook and Instagram pages. Please only use these official sources for communication and refrain from circulating messages from private sources.

Thank you for your understanding and support, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

https://iicanada.org/news/faith-traditi ... as-march-3
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Tentative Re-opening of Ontario Jamatkhanas
March 6, 2021 | Ontario

The Council for Ontario is pleased to advise the Jamat of the planned re-opening of Ontario Jamatkhanas, using a cautious and deliberate approach.

The following Jamatkhanas are TENTATIVELY scheduled to re-open on Friday, March 12, 2021. The confirmed opening dates will be announced as soon as they are finalized:

• Halton

• Hamilton

• Niagara Falls

• Oshawa

• Pickering

The following Jamatkhanas are TENTATIVELY scheduled to re-open on Saturday, March 13, 2021. The confirmed opening dates will be announced as soon as they are finalized:

• Richmond Hill

• Unionville

The re-opening dates for other Ontario Jamatkhanas will be communicated once confirmed.

Jamatkhana capacity upon re-opening will be limited and will be adjusted as circumstances permit.

We continue to monitor the public health situation with our health professionals. Preparations including volunteer training are underway to mitigate risk and to safeguard the health of the Jamat.

Only Jamati members with allocated spots will be able to attend Jamatkhana. Walk-ins will not be permitted at this time.

Please consult the Canada Jamatkhana Re-opening Page for the latest information. Please check for updates through the Al-Akhbar, the iiCanada App, and TheIsmaili Ontario Facebook and Instagram pages. Please only use these official sources for communication and refrain from circulating messages from private sources.

https://iicanada.org/news/faith-traditi ... as-march-6
Admin

AKDN & EU sign new €9m partnership to combat COVID-19 in

Post by Admin »

https://www.akf.org.uk/akdn-and-eu-sign ... le-people/

25 February 2021

AKDN and EU sign new €9m partnership to combat COVID-19 in East Africa, reaching 140,000 vulnerable people

The agencies involved will tackle the pandemic’s health challenges, as well as increase support for the wellbeing of communities and young people

In line with its global strategy for tackling the pandemic, the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) has launched a new €9 million programme in East Africa with funding from the European Union. The programme will focus on strengthening responses to the health, social and economic challenges COVID-19 continues to raise in four countries – Kenya, Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda.

With the spread of the pandemic accelerating in recent months across Africa, many countries’ existing health systems have struggled to keep up, particularly as the virus travels into more rural areas where access to healthcare and up-to-date information on prevention is more limited. If COVID-19 is not checked, the long-term social and economic effects on the most vulnerable and marginalised communities in East Africa could be devastating.

One of the thousands of civil society organisations that AKDN works with. Grassroots organisations like this have community trust and can be utilised to drive through important safety messaging.

The 30-month, multi-sector programme will help strengthen existing health responses and increase awareness of prevention strategies and support mechanisms, while also minimising the socio-economic impact of the crisis among the young and vulnerable. Funded by the European Union, it will be implemented by three AKDN agencies – the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), the Aga Khan Health Services (AKHS) and the Aga Khan University (AKU) – alongside partner organisation, In Their Hands (ITH).

In partnership with East African governments, AKDN’s networks of clinicians and facilities will support health systems to respond effectively, including through the provision of PPE, testing kits and other medical equipment, and training health workers on COVID-19 response and management. Given the significant psychosocial impact of the pandemic, AKU will also address emerging mental health needs among health workers and young people.
Gender-based violence and levels of psychosocial distress have risen across the globe, in many cases as a direct result of COVID-19.

At a grassroots level, AKF will work with Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to strengthen communities’ ability to prevent and respond to COVID-19. This includes identifying and prioritising community needs, providing rapid response funds to CSOs to meet emerging needs, and disseminating messaging on prevention and protection to vulnerable groups. The CSOs are also encouraged to share stories of hope that promote solidarity during these difficult times within their communities.

Businesses, like this beauty salon on Lamu Island in Northern Kenya, have been negatively impacted by lockdown and social distancing measures (photo taken prior to the pandemic).

Young people have been disproportionately affected by the socio-economic shocks brought about by pandemic. Gender-based violence and levels of psychosocial distress have risen across the globe, in many cases as a direct result of COVID-19. AKDN will work with partner organisation In Their Hands to address these challenges. ITH’s digital platform will help adolescents and young people – in particular, young women and girls – to access sexual and reproductive health services and livelihoods skills training. AKF will also engage with young people through remote design sessions to develop innovative business solutions that meet immediate, medium, and long-term community needs arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. It is anticipated that 140,000 individuals or 30,000 households will be supported with a variety of coping strategies to help them weather the pandemic.

Central to the way AKDN works is to ensure that the work is context-specific and has community buy-in and active participation. Engaging with CSOs (who are at the centre of community interventions), government departments and existing health systems is critical to success. By nurturing ownership, there is far greater chance that the work carried out in response to these difficult circumstances will be sustainable in the long run and benefit communities now and into the future.

The ‘AKDN Regional Eastern Africa COVID-19 Response Partnership’ is a 30-month, €9,373,284 programme jointly funded by the European Union and the Aga Khan Foundation. It is being jointly implemented in four countries in East Africa – Kenya, Mozambique, Tanzania, and Uganda – by the Aga Khan Foundation, the Aga Khan University and the Aga Khan Health Services, and their partner, In Their Hands (alongside their strategic partners, CIFF and Triggerise). It aims to strengthen health system resilience and support communities to respond to the shocks of the pandemic.
This project is funded by the European Union.

By Sarah James
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Talika Mubarak of Mawlana Hazar Imam, 21 March 2021

On the occasion of Navroz, Mawlana Hazar Imam has graciously sent a Talika Mubarak to the global Jamat, which is being shared via The Ismaili.

18th March 2021

My dear spiritual children,

On the occasion of Navroz, the 21st of March 2021, I send my most affectionate paternal maternal loving blessings to all my beloved spiritual children of my worldwide Jamat.

My family joins me in wishing you all Navroz Mubarak.

I send my most affectionate loving blessings to all the spiritual children who have submitted services and sent messages of congratulations and good wishes on this occasion.

With the success in producing effective vaccines and other forms of treatment, human societies around the world are looking with a sense of hope and optimism to emerging from the current Covid-19 pandemic.

At this time, I recommend that all my murids should accept to be vaccinated in accordance with the directives of their respective health authorities as soon as the vaccines are offered — as indeed I have done already. It is also my wish that my Jamat should avoid any complacency, and that every murid should continue exercising personal responsibility to ensure protection from the virus.

In particular, my Jamat should not give credence to any misinformation regarding the vaccination process, and comparisons between the different officially sanctioned vaccines that are now available.

I have requested the AKDN health care facilities to extend maximum support and assistance to the government authorities in the effective roll-out of the vaccination programme.

In these troubled times, it is my prayer that Navroz will herald a new beginning, with greater resilience, strength and unity in my Jamat to overcome all forms of difficulty. While the Jamatkhanas will continue to be re-opened as the situation improves, I wish my Jamat to keep in mind the importance I attach to our historic tradition of personal, private prayer.

I send my most affectionate loving blessings for mushkil-asan, and for my Jamat’s wellbeing, good health, safety and security. I also give my best loving blessings for barakah in your spiritual and material lives, and for the fulfilment of all your wishes.

You are all particularly in my heart, in my thoughts, and in my prayers at this time.

Yours affectionately,

Aga Khan

https://the.ismaili/global/news/imamat- ... march-2021
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

AKUH offers govt supplied Covid vaccine free of charge

Service can be availed by appointment only and for those citizens who have been registered, says statement

The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH) has offered the government-supplied Covid-19 vaccine Sinopharm free of charge.

According to a statement issued by the AKUH on Thursday, the service is by appointment only and for those citizens who have been registered, verified and have received their four-digit PIN from National Immunisation Management System (NIMS).

Explaining why the appointment system is put in place, the official statement stated that it is created to avoid crowding and minimise waiting at the vaccination centre.

It said that for the elderly who are homebound and cannot travel to the vaccination centre, the AKUH is offering the same vaccine free of charge at home.

"For this home service to the elderly, there is a charge of PKR3,000 (PKR2,000 for additional elderly members at the same location), only to cover the cost of staff and transport to the elderly's homes to provide vaccination and post-vaccination care and comfort."

It further said that the AKUH would continue to work closely with the government to facilitate the national vaccination efforts.

A nationwide coronavirus vaccination campaign is underway. The Covid-19 jabs are being provided to people 60 years of age and above and to front-line health workers.

Earlier today, Prime Minister Imran Khan was vaccinated against the contagion, days after President Dr Arif Alvi also took his shot.

On the occasion, PM Imran appealed to the nation to ensure full implementation of SOPs in view of the third wave of the pandemic.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2290162/ak ... -of-charge
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Ismaili Centre, London opens as a rapid Covid-19 Testing Centre

The Ismaili Centre, London has opened as a new rapid Covid-19 Testing Centre for the Jamat, residents, businesses and visitors from across the borough.

The Mayor of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea visited the Zamana Space – where the testing is taking place – to mark the opening and to show his appreciation for the support from our community. The Mayor was joined by the President of the UK National Council, and both took their own coronavirus tests in the centre!

The Centre will be open for testing daily from 10am - 4pm, with extended hours on Mondays and Wednesdays 8am – 4:30pm. It is free, convenient and fast with no need to book.

Click below to see the testing centre and footage of the Mayor's visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_skmUTf6kM&t=13s
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Channeling creativity during a global pandemic

Art has often played a powerful role in shaping society’s consciousness, especially in times of crisis. Some of the most touching moments during the early days of the pandemic were people singing or playing music for their neighbours, drawing their communities out on balconies and rooftops to share the moment. Ismaili artists from various countries share their stories of how Covid-19 impacted them and how they adapted to the new normal.

In this time of hardship and distance, there are many examples of art enkindling hope and togetherness. The Covid-19 pandemic was unique because while it highlighted the influence of art, it also upended the way artists work around the world.

Aziza Jaffer Sharma from Bujumbura, Burundi found that the changes she was forced to make because of Covid-19 helped her grow as an artist. Aziza began dancing at the age of four and by the age of 15 she was choreographing and teaching dance classes. Nowadays, Aziza continues to pursue her passion for dancing by running a dance school in a gym she co-owns with her husband.

When in-person dance classes and performances came to a standstill, Aziza used technology to channel her creativity. She began posting dance tutorials on her YouTube channel (some of which were also streamed on The Ismaili TV) and conducting virtual dance lessons on Zoom.

Teaching and performing dance without a physically present audience was a difficult adjustment for Aziza. However, she reflected that it gave her an opportunity to rejuvenate as an artist and gain visibility through social media.

“This period of Covid-19 has been difficult at times but it has also been a blessing in disguise. It has challenged me to grow as an artist in this modern era where social media is a big part of everyone’s life. It has allowed me to be discovered as an artist and teacher on a national and international level,” said Aziza.

Like Aziza, Shereen Kassam from Florida, USA realised that the pandemic presented an opportunity for her to explore her creativity further and grow as an artist. Shereen was an MBA graduate in her mid-20s when she discovered her passion for comedy.

“As women of colour, we are not pushed to speak our minds a lot,” she commented. Comedy was Shereen’s way of claiming her voice. As a stand-up comedian who performs internationally, she uses her platform not just to bring laughter to people’s lives, but also to educate and break stereotypes.

Unable to perform comedy shows or tour different countries after the onset of Covid-19, Shereen decided to focus more time on podcasting and exploring other creative avenues. In 2016, Shereen had launched her podcast “Creative Breakthrough: Jumpstart Your Creative Journey,” which was subsequently ranked in Apple’s list of Top 100 Podcasts. During the pandemic, she also launched a second podcast with a friend, took a class in writing comedy, and facilitated workshops in stand-up comedy and podcasting at the CONNECT virtual camp for Ismaili youth.

Staying creative without being able to perform in the way that gave her joy was initially difficult for Shereen. However, she found that the pandemic gave her the opportunity to grow as an artist through self-reflection and learning.

“It was a really good time to tap into myself,” Shereen said. “I didn’t have time to sit with my thoughts earlier.”

Huse Madhavji, an actor from Canada, was planning to relocate to New York when the pandemic hit. Huse had a penchant for performing ever since he was a young child acting in skits at Bait-ul Ilm. He went on to perform in multiple TV series and plays including the Canadian series “Saving Hope”, the play “Art” at Toronto’s prestigious Soulpepper Theatre, and Disney Junior’s animated series “Mira, Royal Detective.”

After lockdowns were imposed and several of his projects were put on hold, Huse decided to delay his plans and live in Toronto until the pandemic subsided.

Describing his outlook during the uncertain early days of the pandemic, he said, “I didn’t put pressure on myself to come out with something. I just stayed open and if I was inspired, I made sure I walked towards the inspiration.” His optimistic and adaptable approach proved to be a rewarding one. During the pandemic, Huse wrote a comedy script, shot for a TV series, and worked on a feature film produced by acclaimed filmmaker Deepa Mehta. Despite his busy schedule, Huse also found time to participate in The Ismaili TV's original virtual theatre production entitled Hope & Light, which aired as part of The Ismaili TV's Salgirah programme.

Huse shared that the pandemic and ensuing crisis gave him a renewed sense of gratitude for his career as an actor, saying: “I am doing something I love, I absolutely love. I don’t ever want to lose sight of that and I want to make sure that I don’t take these experiences as an artist for granted.”

Sarah Thawer, a Toronto-based drummer, changed her creative process to adapt to the restrictions of the pandemic. Sarah began playing the drums on stage at the age of five. She has performed with accomplished musicians from India and North America including AR Rahman, Salim-Sulaiman, Jon Batiste, and Sekou Bunch in addition to touring various parts of North America and Europe.

As the pandemic caused tours and on-stage performances to come to a halt, Sarah set up a music studio in her home, which required her to execute every aspect of her work, from operating equipment to editing, single handedly.

“Covid-19 has taught me how to work more efficiently as a musician,” she said.

The transition from collaborating with other artists in studios to working alone from home made it difficult for Sarah to stay creative. By focusing on herself and the things that inspired her, she was able to overcome that hurdle.

“I’ve learned the importance of being kind to yourself,” said Sarah.

Jishan Thobani, a musician from Chhindwara, India, found that Covid-19 had changed the work culture of his field for the better. As social distancing and remote working became the new normal, Jishan was pleased to see that people adopted what he calls the “meet less, work more” mindset.

Jishan was inspired to pursue music as a career after performing for Mawlana Hazar Imam with Salim-Sulaiman in 2013. Today, he is a composer, singer, and lyricist. Jishan has composed numerous devotional songs (including The Ismaili’s 2020 Navroz Mubarak song) alongside working on commercial music for several prominent brands including Spotify and Dabur.

The pandemic allowed Jishan to take a break from the fast-paced life he had been living. He was able to dedicate more of his time to creative pursuits, spiritual reflection, and personal rejuvenation, which he found enriching as an artist.

Sharing one of the most important lessons of his career, Jishan said, “Patience, gratitude and prayer can help you with all problems.”

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... l-pandemic
Admin

Post by Admin »

Quebec Jamatkhanas re-opening from Thursday but Kenya Jamatkhanas closing. The impact from Covid vary from place to place.
Admin

Post by Admin »

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE NATIONAL COUNCIL, ITREB AND JAMATI INSTITUTIONS*
_Ya Ali Madad_

Following the address by His Excellency Uhuru Kenyatta yesterday, the Inter Faith Council has updated its guidelines today to respond to increased risks of COVID-19 transmissions and fatalities especially in the age group of 58 years and above. These are the guidelines that govern the protocols for opening prayer houses.

Based on the guidelines, it is with a heavy heart that we inform the Jamat that in the counties that are *not* considered as the _One-Zone_ and where places of worship remain open, *all Jamati members 65 years of age and over, and those who have comorbities (underlying conditions) will have to pray at home from tomorrow, 28th March 2021 . This is effective immediately, and Jamatkhana services tomorrow morning, including all Majalis, will only be accessible to those under 65 years of age*.

We know this causes anxiety and sadness, and we are united in our sadness. However, we must at this time take steps to ensure the safety and well-being of all our Jamati members, and particularly those who are more vulnerable. We humbly and respectfully ask for Jamat’s understanding and cooperation in this regard.
Admin

Post by Admin »

All Jamatkhana in Quebec, MOntreal, Brossard, Laval closed again.

Huzur Mukhi Faiyaz Mirza Gulamhusein Kurji of Pangani Jamatkhana in Nairobi has passed away from Covid. His wife is at home with respirator as there is no space in any Hospital ICU in Nairobi at this time.

In Edmonton, one Mukhiani is also in ICU for Covid treatment.

Mowla help all those who are suffering from this pandemy. Ameen.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Reopening of Jamatkhanas

It is with great joy and happiness that we announce the reopening of the Jamatkhanas in Portugal from April 7th, subject to compliance with all the measures recommended by the Directorate-General of Health (DGS).

All Jamatkhanas in Portugal (Darkhana - Lisbon and the Jamatkhanas of Seixal, Oeiras, Setúbal, Porto, Faro and Portimão) will now be open at their usual times, both for the morning and afternoon ceremonies:

Afternoon ceremonies - starting next Wednesday, April 7th.
Morning ceremonies - early morning of Thursday, April 8th.
The COVID-19 pandemic requires that we all take a number of precautions in our day-to-day lives, to better protect ourselves and of those around us.

With the imminent reopening of the Jamatkhanas, we wish to inform the Jamat of the following measures that will be adopted to guarantee the safety of all:

In order to fulfill the necessary distance requirements, the maximum capacity of the Prayer Halls have been adjusted, with alternative spaces created in the Ismaili Centre and in the Jamatkhana of Seixal, where the volunteers will direct the members of the Jamat.
All common areas of Jamatkhana will be disinfected on a daily basis, after religious ceremonies, including all sofas, benches and chairs.
The body temperature of each person will be measured at the main entrance before entering the Jamatkhana building and, in the case of The Ismaili Centre, this procedure will also be carried out in the garage.
All spaces will be properly marked with a physical distance of 2 meters in all directions.
We further wish to inform the Jamat that the water dispensers will not be accessible for use.
Simultaneously, the rules defined by the DGS will also be implemented and must be complied by the Jamat whose primary focus is to protect everyone:

Access to Jamatkhana will only be possible with a facemask on, which should be maintained on your face at all times whilst in the Jamatkhana building. The only exception to this rule is children up to the age of 6 years, who must be accompanied by their parents at all times, and must further ensure that they do not circulate without their supervision.
At the entrance of every Prayer Hall and social hall you will be required to have your hands disinfected with an alcohol-based disinfectant solution, which will be applied by the volunteers. The disinfectant solution will be available in several places, so you can disinfect your hands whenever you consider it necessary. Furthermore, you must disinfect your hands at least twice: first upon entering and then again upon exiting the hall you are in -- be it the Prayer Hall or one of the social halls.
If you plan to attend Jamatkhana, please ensure you give yourselves sufficient time to sanitize your hands and have your temperature taken.
Please do not bring unnecessary personal items (bags, coats, backpacks, bags, etc.). Note: The cloakroom will not be operational.
We humbly and respectfully ask that IF any member of Jamat feels unwell with a body temperature above normal (> 38º) or with symptoms of COVID-19 - fever, cough, tiredness, difficulty breathing, or muscle pain – PLEASE contact the health authorities and stay at home.
If you have been in contact with anyone infected or are suspected of being infected, in order to ensure the safety of the entire Jamat, we kindly request that you PLEASE stay home for 14 days after contact.
In accordance with the recommendations of the DGS, we also respectfully ask ALL members of Jamat who belong to high risk groups, namely those over 65 or those with serious and compromised health problems, should consider coming to Jamatkhana on less busy hence quieter days.
Only marked spaces should be used. We ask all members of the Jamat to only use the chairs if they are unable to sit on the floor.
After being seated in a designated space or chair, you should NOT change places, as these are cleaned everyday after being used during religious ceremonies.
Children up to the age of 12 must be seated with their parents at all times and we ask for your cooperation to permanently monitor your children, so that they DO NOT circulate without supervision.
We kindly request all members of the Jamat to respect ALL the instructions given by the volunteers.
At the conclusion of the religious ceremonies, we ask for the Jamats’ discipline, cooperation and respect to avoid crowds and that the minimum recommended physical distance of 2 meters is maintained at all times.
We remind the Jamat that the adoption and adherence of the above behaviors is very crucial and important in order for us to be able to maintain and keep the Jamatkhanas open. In addition, complying with these recommendations is critical in order to avoid ANY risk to the health and safety of all members of the Jamat. The Institutions are monitoring the development of the pandemic on a daily basis and, if the circumstances change, new measures may have to be undertaken.

We count on the cooperation of Jamat.

https://the.ismaili/portugal/reopening-jamatkhanas
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Responding to the COVID-19 crisis

The healthcare activities of the Aga Khan Development Network began by tracking the pandemic in early 2020. It then engaged with Ministries of Health to develop country- as well as area-specific COVID-19 preparedness plans. The priority was to bolster government and AKDN’s diagnostic and care capacities and secure much needed supplies and test kits. By mid-March of 2020, an AKDN COVID-19 Global Task Force (GTF) was set up to mount a robust response to the pandemic across all agencies and the Imamat, and to make use of global learning.

The AKDN response ranged from frontline health workers testing suspected cases and treating mild and moderately ill patients, construction of additional temporary health facilities and increasing the capacity to treat severe and critical cases, to advising national authorities on their country’s response and preparedness. The AKDN COVID-19 GTF adopted three pillars for its work: slow and stop transmission, prevent outbreaks, delay and suppress the spread (or “flatten the curve”); provide optimised care for all patients, especially for the severely and critically ill; and minimise impact on communities, the vulnerable, social services and economic activity.

Gallery at:

https://www.akdn.org/gallery/responding-covid-19-crisis
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

VIDEO: Ask Me Anything - COVID-19: The Second Wave LIVE

INDIA TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIkRekklvdI
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Temporary Suspension of all Jamatkhana Ceremonies in Calgary

April 16, 2021 | Prairies
UPDATED: APRIL 16, 2021

All Calgary Jamatkhanas will be temporarily suspended after evening ceremonies on Saturday, April 17, until further notice.

The following Jamatkhanas are impacted:

• Calgary Headquarters

• Westwinds

• Northwest

• Franklin

• South

Saskatoon, Regina, and Lethbridge continue to remain closed. Winnipeg Jamatkhana remains open.

Please note that this suspension applies to all morning, evening and weekend ceremonies - with no exceptions.

We will continue to monitor the situation and work closely with our public health professionals, to keep the Jamat informed of any new developments.

https://iicanada.org/news/faith-traditi ... es-calgary
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Coping with the Second Wave: A Message from Ashish Merchant, President, National Council for India

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMcEVP7Tn7E
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Supporting the community with healthy choices

Ismailis from different parts of the world have stepped up to support their communities and help each other maintain their health and overall wellbeing during the pandemic.

Personal health and wellbeing became a significant priority over the past year as the Covid-19 pandemic drastically changed the patterns of daily life. Confinement inside houses and apartments meant opportunities for physical activity were limited. The extra time spent at home combined with the psychological toll of lockdowns made it extremely easy to slip into unhealthy eating habits. In addition, many people felt isolated and uncertain about the future, which put their mental wellbeing at risk.

When the UK went into lockdown, the Ismaili Student Network (ISN) decided to find a way to bring people together amidst the isolation of the pandemic. As cooking at home had gained immense popularity during the pandemic, members of ISN decided to share their personal recipes on social media for the Jamat. This became the start of the Foodie Friday campaign.

Over the next few months, the initiative grew rapidly as members of the Jamat from different parts of the UK and Europe volunteered their recipes as well.

Contributors included students, parents, professional bakers, and chefs. The result was an eclectic collection of recipes from a number of cuisines including Afghan, Syrian, Pakistani, Mexican, and others. The dishes ranged from popular delicacies to healthy options.

Endearingly, three-year old Zaki sent a recipe for his favourite gingerbread cookies with the help of his parents. On the occasion of Imamat Day 2020, Foodie Friday shared a recipe for the traditional sharbat and cake that would have been served in Jamatkhanas had they been open, keeping a cherished tradition alive despite the pandemic.

In September 2020, ISN launched “The Tastes of ISN”, an electronic cookbook containing all the recipes they had posted. The e-book was sent free of cost to Jamati members upon request.

From healthy chicken ramen to lamb biryani and Syrian Ma’Arouk to oreo truffles, Jamati members prepared the recipes at home with enthusiasm. Many shared comments and pictures of their cooking on social media. In a time of isolation and uncertainty, food offered the Jamat a respite and a chance to connect.

Minaz Charaniya, a nutritionist from Surat, India, runs a holistic wellness center which offers online and in-person services.

Minaz Charaniya, a nutritionist from Surat, India, runs a holistic wellness center which offers online and in-person services. While Minaz initially planned for a career in education, she serendipitously found her calling as a nutritionist after she was required to take a food and nutrition course during her college years.

Early in her career, she observed that patients suffering from diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions showed marked improvement in their health after adopting a natural, healthy, and tailored diet. Her experiences lead her to take a holistic approach rather than focusing on just one element of health and wellbeing.

"Mind, body, and soul go together," said Minaz. “Balance is the key to happiness.”

Minaz's holistic wellness practice, D'N'Y Health Center, offers nutritional guidance, yoga therapy, and naturopathy to improve general wellbeing. In glowing testimonials on social media, her clients praise her for helping them adopt healthy lifestyles that improved their holistic wellbeing rather than promoting short-term solutions.

“My purpose is to help people,” shared Minaz. When the Covid-19 pandemic hit India, Minaz launched a free helpline for those affected by the pandemic. Front-line workers, police officers, pregnant women, and many others turned to the service for assistance. Through counselling, dietary advice, as well as breathing and yoga techniques, the service eased their concerns regarding Covid-19 and helped them cope with the psychological toll of living through the pandemic.

Nazim Chagla from Doha, Qatar is an entrepreneur by profession but has been passionate about health and fitness since his teenage years.

Nazim Chagla from Doha, Qatar is an entrepreneur by profession but has been passionate about health and fitness since his teenage years. In spite of struggling with rheumatoid arthritis in his 30s, he remained committed to staying physically active and overcame his condition through effort and determination.

Nazim is a self-taught expert in cardio exercise, strength training, yoga, Tai Chi, and acupressure. Before the pandemic, he would often motivate his friends and family to adopt a healthy lifestyle. When the pandemic forced people into the confines of their homes, many of his friends encouraged him to share his expertise by posting at-home exercise tutorials and fitness advice online.

His YouTube channel encompasses a range of tutorials, including targeted exercises, acupressure, and breathing exercises to help people deal with the stress of the pandemic. Several of his tutorials have also been featured on The Ismaili TV.

Nazim strongly believes that people should focus on their health before aging and chronic diseases begin to set in.

“We can prevent or delay many illnesses with our lifestyle,” he said. “Health is a top priority in my life. If you are not healthy, it doesn’t matter how much money you have. You will not be able to travel, enjoy your life, or enjoy your time with your children and grandchildren”

https://the.ismaili/global/news/communi ... hy-choices
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

SOS messages, panic as virus breaks India's health system
SHEIKH SAALIQ
Associated Press Mon, April 26, 2021, 8:47 AM

NEW DELHI (AP) — Dr. Gautam Singh dreads the daily advent of the ventilator beeps, signaling that oxygen levels are critically low, and hearing his desperately ill patients start gasping for air in the New Delhi emergency ward where he works.

Like other doctors across India, which on Monday set another record for new coronavirus infections for a fifth day in a row at more than 350,000, the cardiologist has taken to begging and borrowing cylinders of oxygen just to keep patients alive for one more day.

On Sunday evening, when the oxygen supplies of other nearby hospitals were also near empty, the desperate 43-year-old took to social media, posting an impassioned video plea on Twitter.

“Please send oxygen to us," he said in a choked voice. "My patients are dying.”

India was initially seen as a success story in weathering the pandemic, but the virus is now racing through its population of nearly 1.4 billion, and systems are beginning to collapse.

SOS messages like the one Singh sent reveal the extent of the panic.

In addition to oxygen running out, intensive care units are operating at full capacity and nearly all ventilators are in use. As the death toll mounts, the night skies in some Indian cities glow from the funeral pyres, as crematories are overwhelmed and bodies are burned in the open air.

On Monday, the country reported 2,812 more deaths, with roughly 117 Indians succumbing to the disease every hour — and experts say even those figures are probably an undercount. The new infections brought India’s total to more than 17.3 million, behind only the United States.

The deepening crisis stands in contrast to the improving picture in wealthier nations like the U.S., Britain and Israel, which have vaccinated relatively large shares of their population and have seen deaths and infections plummet since winter. India has four times the population of the U.S. but on Monday had 11 times as many new infections.

Doctors like Singh are on the front lines, trying to get the supplies they need to keep their patients alive.

Singh received 20 oxygen cylinders on Monday, only enough to enable the hospital to limp through the day until the ventilators start sending out their warning beeps again.

“I feel helpless because my patients are surviving hour to hour,” Singh said in a telephone interview. “I will beg again and hope someone sends oxygen that will keep my patients alive for just another day.”

As bad as the situation is, experts warn it is likely to get worse.

Krishna Udayakumar, founding director of the Duke Global Health Innovation Center at Duke University, said it would be impossible for the country to keep up over the coming days as things stand.

“The situation in India is tragic and likely to get worse for some weeks to months,” he said, adding that a “concerted, global effort to help India at this time of crisis” is desperately needed.

The U.S. said Monday that is working to relieve the suffering in India by supplying oxygen, diagnostic tests, treatments, ventilators and protective gear.

The White House has also said it would make available sources of raw materials urgently needed for India to manufacture the AstraZeneca vaccine.

“Just as India sent assistance to the United States as our hospitals were strained early in the pandemic, we are determined to help India in its time of need,” President Joe Biden tweeted on Sunday.

Help and support were also offered from archrival Pakistan, which said it could provide relief including ventilators, oxygen supply kits, digital X-ray machines, protective equipment and related items.

Germany’s Health Ministry said it is urgently working to put together an aid package for India consisting of ventilators, monoclonal antibodies, the drug remdesivir, as well as surgical and N95 protective masks.

But many say the aid is too late — the breakdown a stark failure for a country that boasted of being a model for other developing nations.

Only three months ago, India's leaders were boisterous, delivering messages that the worst was over.

In January, Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared victory over the coronavirus, telling a virtual gathering of the World Economic Forum that India’s success couldn’t be compared with that of anywhere else.

A little less than a month later, his Bharatiya Janata Party passed a resolution hailing Modi as a “visionary leader” who had already “defeated” the virus.

By the second week of March, India’s health minister declared that the country was “in the endgame” of the pandemic.

At the same time, the patients arriving at India's hospitals were far sicker and younger than previously seen, prompting warnings by health experts that India was sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Millions of Hindu devotees celebrated the festival of Holi across the country at the end of March, disregarding social distancing guidelines and masks. Modi and other politicians spearheaded mammoth election rallies where tens of thousands participated without masks. And millions more gathered by the Ganges River for special Hindu prayers as recently as last week.

Now it’s suspected all these events might have accelerated the unprecedented surge India is seeing now.

“Many people across India are paying with their lives for that shameful behavior by political leaders,” Udayakumar said.

In a radio address on Sunday, Modi sought to deflect the criticism over what he called a “storm” of infections that had left the country “shaken.”

“It is true that many people are getting infected with corona," he said. "But the number of people recovering from corona is equally high."

India's government said last week it would expand its vaccination program to make all adults eligible, something long urged by health experts.

But vaccinations take time to show their effect on the numbers of new infections, and there are questions of whether manufacturers will be able to keep up with the demand. The pace of vaccination across the country also appears to be struggling.

Ordinary citizens are taking matters into their own hands, doing what they say the government should have done a long time ago.

Volunteers, from students to technology professionals, nonprofit organizations and journalists, are circulating information on the availability of hospital beds, critical drugs and oxygen cylinders.

Like Dr. Singh, many have taken to social media, particularly Twitter, to crowdsource lists of plasma donors and oxygen supplies.

The system is imperfect, but some are getting badly needed help.

Rashmi Kumar, a New Delhi homemaker, spent her Sunday scouring Twitter, posting desperate pleas for an oxygen cylinder for her critically ill father. At the same time, she made countless calls to hospitals and government help line numbers, to no avail.

By evening her 63-year-old father was gasping for breath.

“I was prepared for the worst,” Kumar said.

But out of nowhere, a fellow Twitter user reported an available oxygen cylinder some 60 kilometers (37 miles) away. Kumar drove to the person's house, where a man handed over the cylinder.

“I was helped by a stranger when my own government continues to fail thousands like me,” she said. “Unfortunately, everyone is on their own now.”

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/so ... ks-1347160
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

This section is about Jamati related effect and response to Covid 19.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Jamati and AKDN institutions continue to prioritize Covid-19 response in India and around the world

The Covid-19 pandemic remains a serious public health concern across the globe. International attention is currently focused on the alarming situation in India, as many other countries around the world confront and prepare for second and third waves of infection.

Jamati and AKDN institutions continue to deploy their institutional resources and expertise in the service of national response efforts, in order to suppress the spread of the virus through public education and communication, provide health services to those who have been infected, and support communities with humanitarian and other assistance to deal with the social and economic consequences of the pandemic.

The situation in India remains an urgent priority. The Prince Aly Khan Hospital (PAKH) in Mumbai, part of the Aga Khan Health Services, is at the forefront of the response and has been recognized for its standard of care. Since the onset of the pandemic, PAKH has dedicated nearly half of its total bed capacity and close to 80 percent of its critical care beds to Covid-19 patients. An additional 50-bed unit was established to serve as a quarantine centre for asymptomatic patients and staff. More than 1,800 Covid-19 patients have been treated so far.

“We adapted quickly during the first wave,” said Dr Sulaiman Ladhani, consulting chest physician and Head of the Department of Respiratory Medicine at PAKH. “We established common management protocols, infection control protocols, and a robust monitoring system to care for our patients and ensure the safety of our staff. This preparedness has only served to strengthen our response to the second wave.”

The hospital has also performed more than 13,000 RT-PCR tests, the vast majority at a heavily subsidised fee or at no cost. It has also administered thousands of inoculations and continues to do so.

With support from FOCUS, Jamati institutions in India are engaged in a concerted effort to fight the pandemic on numerous fronts. A 24/7 helpline has been established to help people gain access to hospital beds, welfare assistance, mental health counseling, tele-medicine, and guidance on access to vaccination access. Over 4,000 families have been supported with food, rations, medicines, hospital bills, and children's school fees. Oxygen cylinders are being recycled and have provided almost two million litres of oxygen in areas where availability is scarce. Eight isolation centres have been established to allow for mild cases to be treated outside of the hospital. Proactive mental health support is being regularly provided to the elderly, while education support is being provided for children who have not been able to attend school during the pandemic.

Elsewhere around the world, the AKDN continues to work closely with governments to address the impact of the pandemic. In Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Kenya, and Tanzania, 21 field hospitals with a capacity of more than 400 beds have been established for Covid-19 patients.

The Aga Khan University Hospitals in Karachi and Nairobi and the Prince Aly Khan Hospital in Mumbai have also participated in national and international Covid-19 drug and vaccine trials. Researchers in Karachi discovered ways in which to use a single ventilator for two patients simultaneously, thereby saving lives. The Aga Khan University has also developed 3D-printed nasal swabs that can be produced in Pakistan, reducing the need for importing nasal swab kits.

In addition, in Central Asia and East Africa, an eHealth system provides critical virtual consultations for rural and remote areas. Aga Khan University’s Intensive Care Unit doctors have provided expert advice to over 1,100 physicians across Pakistan. Aga Khan Health Services and Aga Khan University jointly developed a mobile application to track Covid-19 immunisation, which is being launched in Tajikistan.

In London, the Ismaili Centre has been transformed into a Covid-19 testing site for people in the neighborhood, while on the west coast of the USA, teams of health professionals have been assisting with providing vaccinations.

Despite these efforts, and the work of many other local, national, and international institutions, the virus continues to pose serious threats to health and livelihoods. Communities everywhere must continue to follow public health precautions and guidelines, especially the wearing of masks, hand washing, and other hygiene measures, respecting physical distancing guidelines, avoiding gatherings outside the household, and taking maximum and timely advantage of vaccination programmes where they are available.

---

The Global Pandemic Relief Fund is an important source of support for these and many other efforts. Those wishing to make a contribution to this work of the AKDN, can do so through the following links:

In Canada:
Aga Khan Foundation Canada
http://www.akfc.ca
Donate online – https://www.akfc.ca/pandemicfund

In the United Kingdom and Europe:
Aga Khan Foundation United Kingdom
www.akf.org.uk
Donate online – https://www.akf.org.uk/pandemicfund

In the United States:
Aga Khan Foundation USA
www.akfusa.org
Donate online – https://www.akfusa.org/pandemicfund

All Other Countries:
For other countries, please donate through one of the above offices, or please contact donorservices@akfc.ca(link sends e-mail) to discuss other international giving options.

https://the.ismaili/global/news/institu ... 9-response
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Admin

Post by Admin »

Following successful vacination campaign in some countries such as UK, someJamatkhanas are reopening.

kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

VIDEO: Covid Conversations: Episode 1: Dr. Sulaiman Ladhani

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElBL6r3rxTo