Alphabets & Pronunciations

Share small ismaili stories
unnalhaq

Alphabets & Pronunciations

Post by unnalhaq »

Over sometime I have been thinking about sharing some observations, facts (as far as Farsi/Persian) and anecdotal piece of information:
Let’s begin with some observations that I have made over last 25-30 years in JK in general:
I have noticed that most people have difficulties in pronouncing words not necessarily English but Arabic or Persian. Words that contain “sheen” are pronounced as “seen”
“Sh” becomes “S” and “F” becomes “PH” and “T” becomes “D”

Now a little of both Fact and anecdotal:
Most Persian words begins with “Fey” or “F” sounding words, the next common words begins with “N” and the third one is “Z” or “X” sounding words; most words in the Persian language ends with “T”. There are many cross or hybrid words that are incorporated from Arabic language where “TD” or “DZ” or “DX” sounds are very common. One can determine a person’s accent weather the person’s native or if the person had learned Arabic or Persian first by noticing the use of “T” vs. “TD” or “Z” vs. “D”. In the Arabic language “H” or “KH” sounding words are very common. Although, Arabic culture incorporates the use of “the” or “AL” is very common.

In recent years (last 7-10 years), I have noticed that in there has been a shift (specially) in the Du’a pronunciations and other Arabic (Quranic) words are more starting to sound “D” vs. “Z” or “X” and the words being either truncated or sliced altogether like Imammet to Imama , Imaret to Imara, Byat to Bya and Zulfiqar to Dulficar and so on.