Disability

Current issues, news and ethics
aleem

Disability

Post by aleem »

I am disability activist. I have personally help many people who have got a physical or hidden disability by mentoring and supporting them in any way i can.

I feel that in society/jamat we do not talk about disability in a positive manner. therefore this may isolated the individual who many have a disability whether it a hidden one like Autism,Dyslexia or ADHD or a physical disability.

I would like change this perception of disability that a person with disability is cursed or a failure in life. I was thinking on creating a platform so people with disabilities caregiver and professionals come together a discuss and maybe met new friends.What is your thoughts on this matter
thatwhichis

Post by thatwhichis »

"I feel that in society/jamat we do not talk about disability in a positive manner."

Why do you feel that way?
thatwhichis

Post by thatwhichis »

"I would like change this perception of disability that a person with disability is cursed or a failure in life."

I wonder who and where this perception came from in our society. Is it from an ordinary individual in our society or the leaders of our society or some where else or is it or was it implicitly embedded in the tradition, with its old stories, etc. that maybe claimed that disability is a cursed or a failure in life?

What do you think is the origin of your feeling?
aleem

Post by aleem »

I have been supporting various ismaili with hidden and physical disabilities for many years now

I do not believe that a disability is curse or failure in life. I personally think it way the disability has been perceived in the past by older generations. I believe they were scared on why is my child acting abnormal and because of culture the only way the parent see was too hit the child. Some stories i have heard that the parent go to a herbal doctor to get them cured. I feel that some attitude of older generation has been pass down. At same time we educated ourselves and new terminology has been given to certain behaviors such as ADHD,Dylsexia and Autism

I feel that if i want to find a friend with autism within the ismaili community it is very hard because the no network .Why would someone with autism want a friend with autism so they do not feel that they are alone, that someone with same belief have same disability and maybe learn from each other. That why i want to create this portal so more diccusions can take place on various topics within the disability spectrum
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

I agree that building faith based supportive frameworks can bring about healing and we need to build these. Below is a quote from MHI.

MHI in address to the convocation at McMaster University 1987 stated:

"And that takes us to the other side of the coin - and to the reality that will, in the coming decades, define the character of the Aga Khan University and Hospital. The great bulk of the seven million people of Karachi, and the hundred million people of Pakistan, are not ruled by the assumptions of science. Their lives are bounded by family, tradition and belief. These are people who are our patients, who receive our community health services. We most earnestly hope that they are also the people who will provide our young nurses and doctors. To reach them, to have truly effective medical and health care, the Aga Khan University and Hospital must do things the west, and science, probably cannot teach us. Perhaps such joint efforts as those we conduct with McMaster may lead to innovations that we can share with the world. Think of our task on several levels: - the level of the individual, the critically ill, poor Pakistani patient, lying in the antiseptic environment of a ward, where he is tended by instruments and a crisp, educated nurse. But, we increasing ask ourselves, what combination of family members to serve and hearten him, food he recognizes, even music and TV in his Sindi or Urdu tradition will humanize his environment? Most importantly, what attitudes and cultural understandings of the nursing and medical staff will give him heart and hasten his recovery? Can such inputs even provide economies, and bring the cost of modern medical care more easily within his means? How do we build these understandings and attitudes in our systems and training and service?"
thatwhichis2

Post by thatwhichis2 »

"I do not believe that a disability is curse or failure in life."

Why do you even have a believe about it? Why not find out for yourself if this is a fact. For the speaker, it is not a fact.

"I personally think it way the disability has been perceived in the past by older generations."

I wonder who leads one to 'perceive' what one observes in life. I wonder if most of our perception comes from our believe system? Is it possible that their perception was directly or indirectly influence primarily by their belief system?

"I feel that some attitude of older generation has been pass down."

I can see that. I wonder where the older generation got that attitude. I wonder if it was caused by their belief system which they are passing down.
thatwhichis2

Post by thatwhichis2 »

"I agree that building faith based supportive frameworks can bring about healing"

Is faith based supportive frameworks necessary to help or can we just help because we want to help, period.

"we need to build these."

Why do you 'need' to build these? Just help if you want to. Do you really need a faith based supportive framework to do this? Is it necessary?
aleem

Post by aleem »

After speaking to various jamati member i have create a facebook group for the disabled jamat to interact

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1177641845951194/