SIR MAZHAR

Biographies, Role Models etc...
swamidada

SIR MAZHAR

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar, as he was known famously in Karachi in 70's and 80's was my name sake, my teacher, and my mentor. I learnt lot from him. He was a religious teacher. He was a very funny and a jolly person, cracking jokes and usually giving references from poetry. He had memorized hundreds of poems and couplets of various poets. He was the person who started standing comedy in community functions. He participated in some dramas and debates. He was a man of letters, highly educated with credit of 8 masters and an Engineering degree in mechanical technology. Masters he did privately in the following subjects;
1. Economics
2. Political Science
3. Muslim History
4. Urdu Literature
5. World History
6. International relations
7. Early History of Ismailism
8. Comparative Religions
(He got second position in university and was offered scholarship to study further in USA but for unknown reasons he declined the offer). When asked, why he accumulated so many masters. he replied smilingly," IT IS MY HOBBY".

In 1967, he translated and published 'Meaning of Dua' word by word, sentence by sentence, and parargraph by paragraph. Later on that format was adopted by ITREB Karachi. He added grammatical notes for students and jamaits to understand why in Dua we recite Shah Karimil Hussaini or Shah Karimul Hussaini, or why we recite Jafarnis Sadiq or Muhammad-bn Ismail, or Muhammadinil Mustafa and Aliyinil Murtadha. He distributed copies free of charge among Karachi and Hyderabad jamaits. Then he published the pocket size version of 'Meaning of Dua' which was very popular. Also he translated 'Meaning of Dua' in Sindhi language on demand of Sindhi murids of Imam from interior sindh (all he distributed free of charge).

He translated meaning of Surah Baqarah and Surah Aal e Imran (the longest Surahs) in simple Urdu so that Ismailis should understand meaning of Quran.

Later on, he wrote 'LUGHAT E GINAN'(meaning of Ginanic words), which was published by Ismailia Association Karachi Pakistan. He submitted second part of Lughat but that manuscript was stolen. On request of an Association official, he resubmitted the third copy of manuscript and that also disapeard. He was frustrated and gave up. Also, he translated 40 Ginans giving word meanings for his students from grades 11 to 14. He did not published these ginans but distributed copies among his students.

He started Quran classes in various centers where hundreds of students participated, for example in Garden area, there were around 200 students registered and in Karimabad around 400+ students (including Rahimabad and Azizabad areas). He taught Arabic in almost 80% of Ismaili religious centers. He restarted 11th grade class again and took it to level of 14th grade in Garden area. He conducted classes from 6pm to 9 pm. On Sundays he conducted class for Deaf and Dumb students. He knew sign language.

He was given chance to recite Quran in presence of Hazar Imam (silver Jubilee), Begum Salimah, and Prince Amin Muhammad.

One thing was strange, he never told his students who he was or belong to which family. He usually said jokingly 'Aasmaan se gira, khajoor mey attka, zameen pey tapka' (fallen from heaven, trapped in date tree, and dropped on ground). Hardly any one knew what was the source of his livelihood. In 1983, accidently an ITREB official came to know that Sir Mazhar was a businessman. He was the managing director of a firm. All were astonished. They thought he was a cashier in some bank. Once in my presence an ITREB official who was giving him hard time said to him, "Betta aap kiyun nahi bataya key aap business kartey ho"(son why not you told us that you were involved in business). He smiled and said a couplet of Mirza Ghalib;

BADAL KAR BHESS FAQIRUN KA GHALIB
HUM TAMASHA E AHL KARAM DEKHTEY HAIN (Ghalib)

Ghalib in the garb of faqirs (beggars, have nots), we see the atrocities of generous ones.

Some times in get togethers or parties of students and teachers, when he was asked to sing some song, he usually sang;

IKK DIN MITT JAAI GA MATTI KEY MOL
JUG MEIN RAH JAENGEY PIYAREY TEREY BOL
DUJEY KEY HONTUN KO DEKAR APNEY GEET
KOI NISHANI CHHORR PHIR DUNYA SEY DHOL

And then in mid 80s he disappeared.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

A Hilarious Event:

It was late 70's, there was a QUIZ COMPETITION on Jamailti level in Karachi. The competition was held at Ali Bhai Auditorium in West Garden.
The Master of Ceremonies and Host was OBAIDULLAH BAIG a famous personality of Pakistan Television. He was an eminent scholar, Urdu writer, columnist, and documentary film maker. He passed away in June 2012 in Karachi. There were 20 selected participants from all over Karachi sitting on stage and Sir Mazhar was one of them. The Auditorium was full with audience, among them chairman and secretary of ITREB, many Mukhi and Kamdias, along with local and regional leaders of community.
Obaidullah Baig gave instructions and said, there are 20 questions asked with 2 omissions, means you are allowed to make 2 mistakes, who will give highest bid I shall start from there. Some participants bid for 12 questions, some for 15 and the highest was 16. Then came turn of Sir Mazhar, when asked he promptly said 20 out of 20. All were astonished. Audience thought he will be knocked out soon. Obaidullah asked, are you sure or making fun? Sir Mazhar confidently replied, I am serious 20 out of 20. Obaidullah consulted couple of organizers of event on side of stage, came back and said," well, you have given the highest bid so I shall start with you. You are allowed to make 2 mistakes but required to give 18 correct answers". Obaidullah started questioning, one after other, he gave correct answers without any mistakes of 18 questions. There was standing ovation and applause for Sir Mazhar.
Now, here comes the the hilarious moment. Obaidullah Baig asked Sir Mazhar, what is your name, I forgot to ask you?.
Sir Mazhar replied POPEYE THE SAILOR. Obaidullah laughingly asked, where is your arch enemy BLUTO. Sir Mazhar replied you are my BLUTO. The audience burst into laughter, they appreciated and adorned him. Since then he was also known as POPEYE THE SAILOR, he never minded and was cracking jokes himself, what a jolly person.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

When ITREB top officials decided to abolish KHOJKI script i.e Sindhi Chaali Akhri, Sir Mazhar was also on front lines to oppose this happening. He was against abolishing Khojki script and literature from religious centers and our daily lives. He approached to then leadership of ITREB and argued with them. He told them today you are going to abolish Khojki script given by Pir Sadardin and tomorrow you will discontinue Ginans of Pir Sadardin. He encouraged his students and colleagues to sign petition in favor of Khojki, which was then submitted in ITREB office. Sir Mazhar called it conspiracy against our valuable HERITAGE. He said,'Hazar Imam's Hidayat is to stay attached with your heritage where you live', but ITREB officials turned deaf ear to sentiments of Jamaits and killed our Heritage. The vague and invalid argument given by officials was " Ismaili school children are already burdened with books and home work from secular schools, so we do not want to burden them more by teaching Khojki". Were children not attending schools before termination of Khojki, there were no complaints from parents or children themselves. Sir Mazhar's opinion was that this conspiracy and biased attitude was hatched by some high society elite English speaking wealthy and upper middle class parents. There was backlash from Pak jamaits, 95% jamaits rejected that idea, but these influential leaders were successful in killing Khojki. Sir Mazhar called them murderers of Khojki. Sir Mazhar influenced his students 'don't give up Khojki'. He demonstrated and explained to his students that by learning Khojki script you can learn other subcontinent languages easily like, Sindhi, Gujrati, Marathhi, Bengali, Bhoujpuri and others.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

I adopted practice , how Sir Mazhar collected old Khojki booklets, books, Ismaili magazines, and other literature on Islam and particularly on Ismailism.
Sir Mazhar usually visited the kabaares (dealers in old/second hand items) selling books and magazines. He purchased many valuable booklets, books, magazines in Khojki, Gujrati, Sindhi, and English from these kabaares in Karachi. Many Ismaili house holds used to sell their old and used items like utensils, news papers, magazines, crockery and other non essential items to those kabaares (this practice is still continued). That is how Sir Mazhar collected valuable books written 1oo+ years back from those kabaares sold to them by Khoja Ismailis.

He also used to visit Urdu Bazaar in Karachi regularly looking for old books. There were two or three book shops selling old and second hand books. He purchased many books ay bargaining price from shops in Urdu Bazaar as well from Empress market and Sadar areas. In his apartment, there were hundreds of books on various subjects.

He also asked his students, colleagues, and other jamaiti members whom he knew, to give him books on Islam and Ismailism instead of selling those valuable books to kabaares. He kept a box out side his apartment and asking students and jamaiti members to leave Ismail books and magazines in that box if he is not available at apartment. That's how he collected lots of old magazines published before partition and later on, in 1950s/60s/70s, lots of old photographs of Imam's family and Ginanic literature. He also used to purchase pocket size and other books from famous publishers like Feroz and sons, Shaikh Ghullam Ali and sons, Taj Quran company, Idara e Saqafat e Islamia and others.

Some times he called me and one of his other student to help him sort out books and articles in magazines. Once I requested him to have some of Ismaili magazines and booklets of Ginans like 'pandar Ginans', 'vees Ginans, and 'pachees Ginans' published before partition. He allowed me to have books or booklets, if there were more than one copy of same book or magazine. That is how I got some precious literature on Ismailism from him.

In his apartment, I saw a cabinet full of files. Once I counted there were 40+ files, each file marked with subject. For example, a separate file on Nawroz literature, same way others on Tawhid, Imamat and related topics, Ismaili history, topics on Islamic studies, a file on mathnavi Romi, religios poetry various Na'ats and Manqabats, BK Farmans, Ethical Farmans, collection of Chand Raat Bulletins published by then Ismaili Association Karachi and many more. When ever he found any intersting article he used to add that in the file marked with the subject, that is how it was easier for him to retrieve material quickly he needed for preparing or delivering lecture. The man was crazy about books.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Though unmarried but Sir Mazhar liked children. In many religious centers he taught pronunciation of Dua to hundreds of kids in various centers like, Garden, Platinum, La Bella, Adam colony, karimabad, Rahimabad, Salimahabad, Nazimabad, Masala society, North Karachi and so on. He was a busy person but still managed to teach Dua. When he finished teaching at one center, he moved to other one by one. The interesting thing is that at mostly centers after completing and reciting part of Dua, at the end he sang children songs for them.
For example;

HAZAAR SAAL KA JO BHUDHA MAR GAYA
TOU DHUUM DHAAM SE USSEY DAFAN KARO

When a 1000 years old age bhudha died
Let us bury him with pomp, magnificent way with band bhaja

AAJ YAHAA(N) LADDHU BATTENY GEY
BACHU(N) KO DOU DOU MILENGEY
SIR KO KUCHH NAHI MILEGA.....

Today here is distribution of laddhu (sweet balls)
Children will get 2+2
Sir (Mazhar) will get nothing...

DOSTI AISSA NATTA JO SONEY SE BHI MAHNGA

Friendship is a srong relationship, valuable than gold...

Kids liked this kind of activity and sang with Sir Mazhar, at end they gather around him hugging and kissing his hands. He used to say," Kids are angels, they are pure at heart, (bachey mon ke sachey), they are flowers of Imam's garden".
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Very few people knew, Sir Mazhar survived two attempts on his life (to kill him), and twice he was saved from drowning in water. Once I saw a gun on his writing table. I was astonished, why is he carrying a gun? He was in other room came and kept the gun in drawer of table and locked it saying sorry I forgot to keep it away. Out of curiosity, I asked him why he needed a gun? He replied, in Karachi bullets fly, any bullet can kiss me, this is for self defense and protection. As usual he did not opened up about his personal life though I asked him few questions about his enemies.

Regarding about drowning, I came to know when he was in 10th grade in school, he with other class mates used to go for swimming in a canal on Sundays. Once he jumped in water something hit him and he lost his conscious. When for 20 seconds or so he did not appeared on surface of water his colleagues became nervous, couple of boys jumped into water grab him, took him out of water, after 15/20 minutes he regained his conscious.

In 1976/77, Sir Mazhar as a RC teacher accompanied other Garden RC teachers (ladies and gents) to a picnic at Hawks Bay in Karachi. He was fond of running or walking on cool sand. Ocean was calm at that time but all of sudden huge waves started approaching to shore. He was unaware, at that time two lady teachers standing near saw huge waves approaching to Sir Mazhar shouted be careful and ran to grab him. One teacher hold his hand and other teacher hold the waist of first teacher holding hand of Sir Mazhar, the water was high up to chest, but he was saved because of those two lady teachers. He was always thankful to them because he got second lease of life.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

In 1977, Sir Mazhar had an accident, his 3/4 ribbs were broken. He was given duty by ITREB to lead Eid Namaz at Aminabad colony. On every Eid, duty was assigned to him because of his excellent Arabic pronunciation and delivery. He lead Eid Namaz at various locations like Garden, Karimabad, Kharadar, Nizari, North Karachi, Salimahabad and so on. His best performance was at Aga Khan Park, Garden. It was impressive; his delivery and final dua guzari in Arabic was highly appreciated by leadership as well as Garden jamait. Chairman and secretary ITREB, local and regional leaders, senior waizen and other title holders hugged him and congratulated him, and he kept saying 'Al Hamdu Lillaah' (praise be to Allah).
At entrance of Aminabad colony his motorcycle collided with other motorcycle approaching from wrong direction. The other person was also an Ismaili going hurriedly out of colony. Sir Mazhar fell down, the steering handle hit him badly on his chest. He fainted. Few Ismailis coming for Eid Namaz helped to carry him to place of Namaz. A volunteer rushed to Mukhi Saheb's residence to inform him of accident. Mukhi Saheb telephoned Kamadia Saheb and both reached at the venue of Namaz. They realized condition of Sir Mazhar was not good. Mukhi Saheb sent Kamdia Saheb to Garden for arranging some missionary to perform Namaz in place of Sir Mazhar. In his car, Mukhi Saheb with help of volunteers took Sir Mazhar to the residence of lady doctor living near by in colony. Doctor after examining him said, his condition is not good he needed to be hospitalized. Doctor in her car with help of couple volunteers took Sir Mazhar to Holy Family Hospital and he was admitted there. He had severe pain. He kept saying give me some strong pain killer, put me to sleep.

News of his accident spread quickly in community. Scores of people visited him on very that day in hospital, among them Mukhi and Kamdia Sahebs of Aminabad colony, some local leaders, missionaries and ITREB official and many of his students and colleagues. For two weeks he was under treatment in hospital and hundreds of people visited him. When he was discharged from hospital and transferred at his apartment still he was in pain and was hardly walking. When regained strength, he started his classes again. He used to joke, 'I gave chance to angel of death to take my soul out, but he did not took advantage of my offer', and said the following couplet;

LAAEI HAYAAT AAEI QAZA LEY CHALI CHALEY
NA APNI KHUSHI SEY AAEI NA APNI KHUSHI CHALEY

Life brought me here (in this world), death came and took me away
Neither I came voluntarily, nor I lived (wishful life) happily.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Once Sir Mazhar went to see some one in Prince Ali Khan Colony (Masala Society) Garden East. When he was returning, saw a mother beating severely a boy of 9/10 years. He was alarmed, approached to mother of child and asked her, why is she beating the boy? Angerly, she replied," he is stupid, doing no home work (of school), not helping, keep fighting with other children, better he was not born". Sir Mazhar explained to mother, saying," Look, he is a child, may be he has some mental or other problems, I don't see tears in his eyes, he is just staring at ground, not saying any thing to you and keep taking the beatings, you should explain him with affection and love. Mothers heart is always filled with love". Also he traced out two other families in same colony with young mentally retarded children having mental illnesses.
After some time, he came across the same situation in other Ismaili colony, where a mother was beating her 19/20 years daughter. When he saw that happening he went near the woman and requested stop beating. Woman was so frustrated, cursing her daughter, said to Sir Mazhar, "I am tired of this girl. She should not have born, let God give her death". Sir Mazhar realized, it was not fault of daughter, she was mentally handicapped.
Looking at these cases, he realized there should be more mentally handicapped persons in the community. He investigated and came to know about such more cases and found those persons were neglected, cursed and not treated properly by parents or relatives. He researched on mental illnesses, even visited an orphanage/mental illness center where such persons were treated by a Christian institution to learn more about mental illnesses.
He prepared a lecture with facts and figures and approached to Mukhi Sabz Ali Saheb of Garden Jamait khana. Mukhi Saheb knew him well because of his religious work and his previous lectures on meaning of Dua (word by word explanation which was highly appreciated by jamait). He requested Mukhi Saheb to grant him 10 minutes to deliver lecture on the mental health and mistreatment of persons suffering from it.
Mukhi Sabz Ali Saheb asked Sir Mazhar to wait 2 months (at that time waezes were also curtailed); It was the time of Silver Jubilee Darbar, the reason he mentioned was, at that time there was a Sunni/Shia conflict in Pakistan and many people were killed and injured. There was wall chalking in Garden, Karimabad and other locations against Khoja Ismailis to provoke them. Mukhi Saheb said to Sir Mazhar," When Darbar ceremonies were over, Hazar Imam asked Mukhes to come near, Hazar Imam told them, "look what is going on in Karachi particularly, I do not want my spiritual children in emotion should involve in conflict being as Shia. It is your duty that you (Mukhes) should be careful and watchful for safety of my murids, alert volunteers to be watchful. I do not want any of my spiritual child be injured or get killed".

THIS SHOWS HOW MUCH HAZAR IMAM IS ALWAYS WORRIED AND CONCERNED ABOUT THE WELLBEING AND SAFETY OF HIS SPIRITUAL CHILDREN. HE IS ALWAYS PROTECTIVE AND CONCERNED ABOUT LIVES OF SPIRITUAL CHILDREN.

After two months, when things cooled down, Sir Mazhar again approached to Mukhi Saheb requesting time to deliver lecture on the subject. Mukhi Saheb graciously gave him permission for just 5 minutes. Sir Mazhar requested for ten minutes, finally Mukhi Saheb allowed him 7 minutes to complete his speech. Sir Mazhar's speech was very emotional. He gave facts and figures and high lighted about mental illnesses and Autism. He said kids are not at fault for their mental illnesses. It can be birth defects or the will of the creator. Kids are innocents beating and thrashing won't solve the problem. The mentally retarded with little IQ should be treated equally with other kids of same family. His speech was appreciated by jamait. He also delivered lecture on this subject at few other JK's where permitted. He personally requested Garden water company, shoe company, volunteer core to give mentally retarded kids and young, chance to serve.

I learnt few years later, that Sir Mazhar himself was suffering from AUTISM AS WELL INSOMNIA.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Some information about Autism

Autism Spectrum Disorder is a developmental disability. Children and adults with autism have difficulty with social communication and interaction and exhibit restrictive and/or repetitive patterns of behavior. There is a wide range of ability among people with autism. Some people with autism are gifted and others need significant levels of support to ensure their health and well-being. While great strides are being made, there is no known cause, or a known singular effective treatment for autism.

People with autism have challenges in the areas of social communication/interaction and restricted/repetitive behaviors. A few examples:
Social Communication/ Interaction
Difficulty establishing or maintaining back-and forth conversations and interactions
Inability to initiate an interaction
Problems with shared attention or sharing of emotions and interests with others
Abnormal eye contact, posture, facial expressions, tone of voice and gestures, as well as an inability to understand these
Lack of interest in other people
Difficulties in pretend play
Engaging in age appropriate social activities
Problems adjusting to different social expectations.

I figured out Sir Mazhar was suffering from Autism, it is my opinion. Some times, he wanted, no one should around him or talking to him. At that moment he wanted darkness, no lights or noise.

He has no real friend but was friendly with every one. Some of his colleagues, the RC teachers, and few at ITREB were spreading negative propaganda against him. He used to tell them compete with me instead of stabbing in back. Even some of his students complained him that there are persons who are talking negative and bad things against you. He told them pray for these poor souls and said this;

KUCCH TOU LOUG KAHEENGEY, LOUGUN KA KAAM HAI KAHNA
NA UNN SE KUCHH LEENA MUJHEY, NA UNHUNNE KUCCH DENA

Some times he lost interest in other people. He has no friends, though he had good relationship with his students, colleagues, and community persons.

He was a kind of lonely person, not sharing problems or difficulties in his life.

On holidays or on Sundays when he had no class, he usually went to 'Takeri' birth place of MSMS and sat on a slab/boulder, sitting there for hour or two; no air pollution, no noise pollution, no mental pollution away from people (once I accompanied him on motorcycle). He had good friendly relationship with Baba Hunzai, the physical care taker of property at that time.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Some of the following information I received and collected from the colleagues and students of Sir Mazhar of his time. They said, he was fortunate to had few best offers for training, scholarships, and of jobs, but he missed almost all. Reasons unknown!!

Sir Mazhar was registered as a student at Sindh University as well Karachi University. When he got second position in his masters at Sindh University, they offered him scholarship to further study in USA, he declined that offer.

When Mr. Bhutto with help of Russian government stablished steel mill near bin Qasim Karachi, he was offered a chance to go Russia for 3 years training (he got top position in mechanical technology on West Pakistan basis). He declined, though his favorite subject at technical institution was Metallurgy. Irony is that one of the trainee who went to Russia for training became his boss in the factory where he was working as a foreman.

In the year 70/71, he applied for a post of an officer at Habib Bank. He was interviewed by seth Rashid Habib on the top floor of Habib Bank Plaza in Karachi. He was selected, but was posted in a small town in interior Sindh where there was no running water and proper electricity. The bank hours were from 8am to 2pm. Rest of time was boring, what he suppose to do. There were no Ismailis around. He got bored and after one month, he requested transfer to some bigger town or city. The request was turned down and he quit the job.

In 1980/81, he was offered a scholarship by IIS London (Institute of Ismaili Studies) for one year study at London University to develop RC/STEP syllabus. Though he wanted to, but because of his business commitments was unable to accept that offer.

He was working at Zeal Pak Cement Factory Hyderabad. Because of his hard work and expertise he was selected by the chief engineer to accompany a team of technicians to go Saudi Arabia for 2 years to establish a cement factory there. As usual he declined that good offer also.

He was given an offer to work at Dubai, he missed that too.

Once one of his colleague asked him, why he kept declining those good offers? Jokingly he said. there is a saying; man proposes and God disposes, but with me God proposes and man, unfortunately disposes, I just say sorry to God. He never talked about problem of his real life, he just said my hands are tied.

Interestingly, when Sir Mazhar started working in a mechanical workshop (his first job), his monthly pay was PKR 149, not even a dollar in today's rate!!!
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar was born and raised in Karachi, but lived some time in Hyderabad because of his job at Zeal Pak Cement Factory, the factory had 2000+ on pay roll, as narrated to me by one of his colleagues. He was well known in Hyderabad also because of his religious work. He was active in religious center. He took the classes from 8th grade to 10th grade (as he did at Karachi from 11th to 14th). He was delivering waiz and lectures because at that time there was shortage of missionaries in interior Sindh and particularly at Hyderabad. Missionaries from Ismailia Association Karachi were deputed for 3/4 months and then moved to other locations in Sindh. He started Quran classes in RC. There was enthusiasm in parents. They wanted there children should learn Quran. He arranged quiz competitions and debates with his other colleagues there. He was reciting janazah namaz and leading burial ceremonies, even he started Quran khwani for deceased that made him more popular. He requested Ismaila Association to train and arrange persons for Quran khwani for deceased in various parts of country where Ismails lived. That paved the way for printing of AYAT E SHIFA later on (the collection of Quranic Ayats to be recited at burial times). It is interesting to note that some seniors in jamait made wish, when they die and if Sir Mazhar is around he should recite their namaz e janazah. He started namaz e juma at main jamait khana where around 300 jamaitis participed every Friday. In unavailability of missionary he was asked by Mukhi Saheb to recite Nikah. He requested that I am a young man, unmarried, how shall I recite Nikah. For Mukhi there was no other choice so he has to comply. He taught many students and interested persons namaz e janazah, juma namaz, ziarat, nikah and so on at main jamait khana and Aminabad (momina colony) jamait khana.
Though he delivered waizes on order of mukhis when ever asked but disliked to be called missionary or al waiz. He requested that he should be called by his first name i.e MAZHAR. When ever asked, why not to call missionary, he replied, I am a student, can't compete with real missionaries.
Couple of times, he was asked to deliver waiz in majlis whom he was not a member. He requested, I am not a member, but Mukhi of majlis sorted out the problem that Sir Mazhar will stay at ground floor, when waiz time approach, a volunteer will take him up stairs and when he will finish waiz shall be escorted out.
He criticized some unwanted, out of date old customs having no sense or logic to be avoided in one of his waiz. Many jamaits turned against him, even some leaders. Result he was banned from delivering waiz. For example, he questioned , why after burying deceased make a cross sign on grave, does it make any sense or what is the traditional back ground. No one has answer. Or, if any person died on Monday or Thursday, they leave a cock near grave. He asked why you people leave a cock in grave yard? The answer he got was, that it is to avoid further deaths in deceased family. He explained them it is superstitious, we are an educated community, time and place for death is fixed, no one can avert it.
He argued, many people in wars like in first and second world wars thousands died even on Mondays and Thursdays. the armies did not carried with then cocks to avoid deaths. He wrote a letter to Ismailia Association to stop that superstitious custom. First they avoided, but after few years Ismailia Association asked jamaits to stop that custom.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar had to catch the Zeal Pak bus at Shirazi hotel near Noor Muhammad high school Hyderabad at 5.30 am because the shift started at 6 am. This was the starting point from where mostly Zeal Pak workers gather to ride the bus. Among them was a worker who worked in Administration named Iqbal. He was well built almost 6 feet height. He was around 20 years older than Sir Mazhar (who was in his early 20s). He was a jolly person, teasing other workers and joking, but he respected Sir Mazhar a lot. In the bus when there was no seat available, he offered his seat to Sir Mazhar saying Mazhar Bhai aap bhetho (sit). Though Sir Mazhar said I am fine standing, but he insists to sit.
In 1970, when turmoil in East Pakistan (now Bangla Desh) was on its peak, Mukti Bahinis were attacking Pak army and non Bengali civilians on daily basis, at that time Pak army was recruiting for soldiers. At Hyderabad the army recruiting office was near Thandi sadak. Sir Mazhar also filled the form for recruiting and stand in line for his number to be called. He was astonished, when he entered the office. In front of him behind the desk was standing IQBAL BHAI in military attire very somber and serious, and the badge on his shirt read 'Captain Iqbal'. On seeing Sir Mazhar, Captain Iqbal inquired, 'Mazhar Saheb aap yahan kaisey'? (Mazhar Saheb, how are you here). Sir Mazhar replied by giving application in his hand saying, I have come to be selected as a soldier to fight Pak enemies. Captain Iqbal looked in Sir Mazhar's eyes and said NO, I do not want to push you in war. War is name of blood and fire and death. I do not want you to die at this young age. He said, look, you saw hundreds of people are standing out side in line to be recruited and every day throngs of people keep coming. We select only those whom we feel are suitable. Further he said to Sir Mazhar, I know well about you and the community you belong to. You are serving your community and keep doing that. Actually Captain Iqbal (after retirement from army) was living in the same vicinity where Sir Mazhar was residing. He might have seen him leading janazah for burial and reciting janazah namaz, and may have attended janazah namaz where he had inquired about Sir Mazhar.
In Zeal Pak there were 2000+ workers and among them were more than 100 army retired persons and Captain Iqbal was one of them. After serving army he took retirement and joined Zeal Pak. During 1970 war time mostly all retirees were asked to report back to army because country needed their services. Mostly all army retirees joined army again. Many were sent to then East Pakistan and Captain Iqbal was one of them with his selected recruits after training.
SAD NEWS. In the end of 1971, Sir Mazhar came to know through Zeal Pak Administration that Captain Iqbal along with his fellow recruits were martyred by Mukti Bahinis in East Pakistan, BUT he saved the life of Sir Mazhar by rejecting his application.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

The kid's name was Asif (I do not want to disclose parent names). His father was a businessman and a good social worker in community. Asif was 5/6 years old, suffering from polio. He was physically handicapped, unable to stand on his feet and could not speak. He usually crawled on his knees. In the evening before Dua his mother left him in the children RC class room. At that time Sir Mazhar was conducting grade 10 class. One day Sir Mazhar was talking to one teacher near children class room, he noticed Asif started crawling on his knees towards him. Sir Mazhar picked him up and tried to seat him on desk but Asif put his arms around his neck and resisted to sit on desk. He just cling to Sir Mazhar. Finally, Sir Mazhar took him to his class and seated him in his chair. He asked the Asif's teacher to send his mother to pick him from his class room. Now it was a daily routine, Asif refused to sit in children class and start weeping, his parents tried that he should stay in children class but in vain, he wanted to sit in Sir Mazhar's class. Sir Mazhar was surprised, why the kid wanted to stay in his class? Sir Mazhar realizing the feelings of kid allowed Asif to stay in his class. The kid did not disturbed the class, sit silently on desk looking here and there, Sir gave him a copy and pencil so that he should stay busy. Days, weeks, months gone by, but Asif stayed in Sir Mazhar's class. There was a special bond created in between them. Sir Mazhar daily brought chocolates and biscuits for him, the kid was happy.
In 1970, Hazar Imam with Begum Salima visited Pakistan. During visit to Hyderabad, there was Dedaar arranged at Aminabad colony (Momina colony). Imam was walking towards stage, suddenly he stopped where Asif was sitting in between his father and mother. They both stood up folding hands. Hazar Imam asked them looking at Asif, Why this happened to child. Father replied humbly 'we have shown him to few doctors, their consensus is that he is suffering because of polio. Imam gave them blessings and said," this is not your child but he is my child too, take care of him properly and diligently". Imam made a Farman that all babies and children should be given polio vaccine. Hazar Imam ordered and arranged polio vaccine from Switzerland, and in few weeks it was given to Ismaili children.
Sir Mazhar quit the Zeal Pak job after 5 years and moved back to Karachi again. After 2 years, Sir Mazhar was shocked to learn that Asif passed away due to severe health complications, he was sad, what a life!!
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

A distant relative of Sir Mazhar provided the following information about him.
Sir Mazhar was born at Jaan Bai Maternity home kharadar Karachi. His parents were living at Hussaini Manzal Kharadar (now it is called Adam Terrace) across the new Jamait Khana Kharadar. In 40's/50s/60s, Hussaini Manzal was famous for dhandia-raas in Karachi Ismaili community. His father was a government officer, pre partition with British and then Pak government. At partition he had an offer to settle in England but decided to stay in Pakistan. Sir Mazhar's two other uncles were high profile government officials. His many relatives were in business. They were well known in Karachi/Hyderabad and interior Sind because of their jamaiti services. There were Waras/Waras Saheba/Aitamadis/Mukhi/Kamadias in his relatives. Hazar Imam Shah Karim knew his two uncles by their names. His elders had direct connection and friendship with top leadership of that time like, Captain Amir Ali, Waras Amir Ali Fancy, Waras Sher Ali Alidina, Waras Ramzan Merchant, Waras Missionary Qasim Ali, and so on.
When Sir Mazhar was of 10 years, sent to one of the top best schools of Pakistan at Nawab Shah. He completed his studies from grade first to 12th (science group). He was very active and mischief, couldn't sit at one place, kept running and jumping. Twice he broke his right arm. He was fond of acrobat. Once he somersaulted and landed his head on ground instead of feet, was unconscious for hours. In gymnastic, once he was practicing balance bar, became unbalanced and hurt his back severely unable to speak. But he was good at studies always ranked in first three positions.
Sir Mazhar did not believe in this Farsi phrase 'PIDRAM SULTAN BUUD' My father was a king (so I should be respected or have privileges). He hardly introduced his elders but depended on his own work. He wanted to be known by his work and achievements. Always wanted to be known by his first name MAZHAR and not his family name.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

A Dangerous Threat:

I was not fully aware about the activities of Sir Mazhar at Hyderabad, as I was living in Karachi. One of his old student from Hyderabad (now living in Karachi) shared the following information about him.

Religious service was not a bed of roses for Sir Mazhar. He faced rivalries (from persons already working in the field), restrictions and harrassment from some of his colleagues, and religious institution at Hyderabad as well Karachi.
In late 60's 'TWO TIMES', Ismailia Association Pakistan sent letters to Mukhi's of all jamaits in Pakistan to be read against Sir Mazhar. Charge was, why he published booklets and distributed in Jamaits of Karachi and Hyderabad. The members of the jamaits were asked to return those booklets in the local offices of Association, but no one complied. The booklets were meaning of Dua word by word and paragraphs with some grammar notes, and translation of Quran.
After some time, a well known missionary who came to Hyderabad to deliver waiz in life majlis met with parents of Sir Mazhar with a 'Special Message' from the president of Ismailia Association asking that Mazhar should stop his activities (at that time Sir Mazhar's father was stationed at Hyderabad because of his transfer as a government official, also at that time Sir Mazhar's mother was Kamdiani of life dedication majlis). Same day in late afternoon he met Sir Mazhar one on one. Missionary Saheb explained him to stop publishing and stop other activities as the President is not happy and very annoyed, and IF Sir Mazhar will continue " WILL BE EXCOMUNICATED FROM ISMAILI JAMAITS ", and it will affect your parents as well other family members. It was a DANGEROUS THREAT to a young man of 22/23 years.
Sir Mazhar argued with missionary saheb saying, before me in past years many individuals from Hyderabad and Karachi published books, why they were not punished or read letters in jamait khanas against them? They sold the books where as I distributed freely without charge, (still some community individuals are publishing books and selling in Karachi, no action against them, double standard, Swami).
Then missionary saheb said, you published the Urdu translation of Quranic main surahs to brain wash youth. Sir Mazhar replied, sir when you or some other missionary deliver waiz, frequently recite Quranic ayats and explain Tafseer, is that mean you people are brain washing jamaits. Sir Mazhar said, "QURAN IS NEITHER SUNNI NOR SHIA, IT IS WORD OF ALLAH". I am not converting any one to Sunnism, in fact the Ismailis are following Sunni Hanafi Tariqa in Eid Namaz, Jananza Namaz, Juma Namaz and so on. I am following the Tariqa which is prescribed by Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah for subcontinent jamaits in his tenure; instead of bashing me better Association change the Tariqa from Sunni practice to Shia. Later on Sir Mazhar was vocal about Sunni practices authorized by Association. Few years later then newly formed ITREB (name of Association changed to ITREB) changed few practices like Eid Namaz and Janaza Namaz and dubbed it as Fatimi Tariqa.
During that discussion Sir Mazhar informed missionary saheb about his forth coming booklet 'Lughat e Ginan' to be distributed in couple of weeks. Missionary Saheb told Sir Mazhar, don't distribute it. This will be disaster for you. He said hold on it till I talk to President Saheb.
(Printing and distribution of Lughat is an interesting story which I shall post later on).
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Continued related to above post;

"During that discussion Sir Mazhar informed missionary saheb about his forth coming booklet 'Lughat e Ginan' to be distributed in couple of weeks. Missionary Saheb told Sir Mazhar, don't distribute it. This will be disaster for you. He said hold on it till I talk to President Saheb".

Missionary Saheb returned back to Karachi and reported to president Ismailia Association Pakistan. Next day president telephoned local chairperson at Hyderabad, asking him to force Sir Mazhar to surrender all copies of Lughat e Ginan.
Chairperson sent a message to Sir Mazhar to meet him after RC class. Chairperson was a very humble person and had a good record of serving community. By profession he was an advocate. He asked Sir Mazhar not to distribute booklets as desired by president saheb and surrender all copies. Sir Mazhar argued, what is wrong in spreading knowledge. There isn't any material against Ismailism. I have compiled Ginanic words and have given meaning in Urdu for students, youth, and general jamait. What problem president has in this regard? Chairperson replied, problem is that you have not sought permission from him (president). Sir Mazhar asked," Are the Ginans come under copy write Act? Did Pirs put some kind of restrictions not to publish? Sir Mazhar gave examples of two persons who wrote books and in good faith sent to Ismailia Association to be published by them, the result was those disappeared. One was the person who wrote on history of Pirs, was a son of top Missionary of that era expert in Ginans residing at Hyderabad.
Chairperson asked Sir Mazhar to hold on copies, I have an idea, and said let me talk to president and I shall answer within 2/3 weeks. The idea floated by chairperson was that Sir Mazhar should surrender copies and in return Ismailia Association print 'Lughat e Ginan' retaining Sir Mazhar as its compiler. President refused and insisted that first Sir Mazhar should surrender copies then we shall talk further. Sir Mazhar conveyed message to chairperson that if decision is not taken within 2 weeks, I shall distribute copies, let president punish me if he wants. Finally, president accepted the idea of chairperson Hyderabad but insisted copies should be surrendered first. Sir Mazhar refused to surrender all copies but in good faith said I shall surrender 50% and rest when booklet will be printed by Association. Still it took one year in publishing Lughat and was finally available for sale on JK counters in mid 70's, though Sir Mazhar requested that copies should be distributed freely. As promise, then Sir Mazhar surrendered rest of 50% of copies to chairperson at Hyderabad.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

At age 10 Sir Mazhar was sent to Nawab Shah for schooling. Nawab shah is around 200 miles from Karachi. There was only one Khoja family residing there at that time. There was no JK in that town. The nearest JK either was at Hyderabad (72 miles) or Sukhar (60 miles). At school, mostly his class mates including some teachers when came to know that he belongs to Khoja community started taunting and teasing by calling him Hindu. Couple of teachers said, you people have adopted Muslim names as Sikh community to hide your identification but in fact you are not Muslims. This was disturbing and hurt Sir Mazhar's feelings. At age 10/11 he had no knowledge of Ismaili tenets or history. At Karachi in RC class he learnt Khojki script, couple of Ginans and old Dua before moving to Nawab Shah. At that time RC classes were conducted on ground floor of old JK off the Paria street. The RC center was over crowded not sufficient for 1000+ students registered. There were wooden partitions in the hall, there was lot of noise because classes were adjacent and parted with wooden stands. Now a days mostly all RC's around the world where Ismailis live are well equipped, having trained teachers on guidance of Hazar Imam. The facilities which to day students have were not available 60/70 years back.
In summer and winter vacations, when Sir Mazhar visited his parents, they sent him to to RC classes. He kept asking questions about Ismailism, but could not get satisfactory answers. When he reached 9th grade, one of his teacher taunted him asking, "do you go to mandir for prayers and reciting bhajans?", he replied I am a Muslim and don't go to mandir, at that point he decided to face and fight baseless allegations and stupid stories. He started learning Quran. In one year he completed Quran reading, and then started understanding its meaning. He dropped sociology class and picked up Arabic class at school. He learnt the Sunni namaz as well Shia namaz. He started reading books on Shiism, Sunnism, and Ismailism.
Sir Mazhar realized that he was not the only victim of harassment but other Ismaili kids, teenagers and youth were also harassed in their schools, and colleges. At age 18 when he was in 12th grade, was able to counter questions against Ismailis. He used to give answers from Quran and Hadith. He was aware that quotations from Ginans won't help, as non Ismailis won't accept the Ginans. His thinking was to counter them from their literature and he was successful. This was the MAIN REASON he started Quran classes to train students with Quranic knowledge at Hyderabad and Karachi, so that they can face questions and criticism by non Ismailis.
I was his student in Karachi from grade 8th onwards in RC. I remember, once he said, "NEITHER MULLA TAUGHT ME CORRECT ISLAM NOR MISSIONARY TAUGHT CORRECT ISMAILISM, THEY CREATED MORE CONFUSSION". He said I satisfied myself by vast reading the books. He claimed to answer all criticism by non Ismailis from Quran, Tafseer, Hadiths, and Muslim history to satisfy them except 2 things, 'which he never mentioned' saying, I do not have control on them, only Imam can do.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

In late 60's Sir Mazhar was stationed at Hyderabad. Daily or other day he visited Ismaili Library on Prince Ali Khan road. One day he came across an article appeared in the daily news paper Musawat against Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah. Musawat was the mouth piece of newly formed Peoples Party. In that article the writer used very derogatory sentences against Ismaili community and MSMS (writer used the name Aga Khan 3rd). For example he wrote, Aga Khan was the agent of British govt. He was the capitalist (People party was a socialist party according to their manifesto). Aga Khan collected funds from his followers for his personal use, and some distorted facts about Khoja Ismaili community. Sir Mazhar got annoyed after reading that article. He went to a news paper stand and purchased a copy of Musawat containing that article. That day, after the RC classes were over, he showed that article to some other teachers. Sir Mazhar along with 4 other teachers decided to talk directly with the organizer of PP Hyderabad region. His name was Mir Rasul Bukhish Talpur (in 1972 he became the governor of Sind province). Sir Mazhar prepared a draft, high lighting the derogatory sentences and went to see him with other RC teachers at his office near Pakka Qila Hyderabad. Sir Mazhar talked to Talpur saheb's secretory and asked him to inform Talpur saheb that some Khoja Ismaili youth need to talk to him about a serious matter. After 15 minutes Talpur saheb greeted them in his office and asked about the issue. Sir Mazhar showed him the article published in Musawat, gave him the draft in which he had high lighted the derogatory sentences. Sir Mazhar said to Talpur saheb that we are an educated peaceful community, not involved in politics. How come our Imam is being targeted by your news paper. Sir Mazhar demanded an apology from people's party and assurance that our community or Imam should not be targeted again. Talpur saheb was a smart politician, he knew well that Khoja community is very large in numbers in Karachi and Hyderabad and a good and strong vote bank. He apologized and said, personally I respect Sir Aga Khan and present Imam Shah Karim al Hussaini. He promised to talk to editor in chief of Musawat, and asked Sir Mazhar to write a counter article against that published article. He promised, as soon you will provide me your article that will be published in Musawat within 48 hours. Within 24 hours Sir Mazhar wrote a counter article and handed it to Talpur saheb. And that article written by Sir Mazhar was published in Musawat within 48 hours as promised by Talpur saheb.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar and his colleagues protest paid off:

It was Friday evening, 4 persons came to meet Sir Mazhar in afternoon. 2 were Ismailis and other 2 non Ismailis all belong to peoples party. They told Sir Mazhar that Party chairman Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto is going to address a gathering near JK at 9pm on prince Ali Khan road, can you do talawat e Quran (recitation of Quran) in the gathering. Sir Mazhar replied, yes I will but this should be after JK is over. They said yes, that's why we have given time 9pm.
On that Friday Bhutto Saheb had to address a gathering in afternoon at Karachi. Mir Rasul Bukhish Talpur was with him and he requested Bhutto Saheb to address a gathering at Hyderabad after appraising the Musawat newspaper blunder, and explained him about the Khoja community vote bank. Bhutto Saheb accepted it and said he will be at Hyderabad in between 9 and 10 pm.
Word was out that Bhutto is coming, a stage was erected and loud speakers were set near market chowk on Prince Ali Khan road. Around 20000 persons were gathered there to listen speech of Bhutto Saheb.
At 9pm a team of speakers belong to peoples party descended on stage to warm up audience including Tariq Aziz (tv artist, neelam ghar fame), Mairaj Muhammad Khan and some other student leaders from Karachi and Hyderabad, Sir Mazhar was also on the stage.
Around 10pm, Bhutto Saheb arrived, the public was crazy, shouting slogans of PP. After recitation of Quran by Sir Mazhar, Bhutto Saheb started his speech, first condemning the article published in Musawat and then praised Khoja Ismaili community for their charity services. He praised services of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah for Muslims of subcontinent and Muslim Ummah. He praised Hazar Imam Shah Karim al Hussaini and praised prince Ali Khan for his services to Pakistan as permanent ambassador to UN. He said," I learnt a lot from Prince Ali Khan". Then, he continued his speech shading light on Peoples Party's manifesto.
Call it coincidence or mix up of events or timings, Sir Mazhar's GUARDIAN AND MENTOR MR. H M KHOJA was Bhutto Saheb's teacher in 30's at Larkana. Not only Mr. H M Khoja but one of Sir Mazhar's uncle Advocate Ali Muhammad Khoja educated at London was Bhutto's partner in a Law firm at Karachi in 1958, later on Bhutto Saheb joined Cabinet of General Ayub Khan president of Pakistan, and know Sir Mazhar was standing on stage near him, at that time he was around 23 years old.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

H.M KHOJA GUARDIAN AND MENTOR OF SIR MAZHAR
(as narrated by two elders at Hyderabad)

At age 10, Sir Mazhar was sent to Nawabshah for education in one of the best schools in Pakistan. At that time H.M KHOJA was the principal of the school. He became guardian of Sir Mazhar.

H.M KHOJA was born in 1908 and passed away in 1999. After completing his BA and BT from Bombay University in 1932, became a teacher at Larkana, Naushehro feroze, and Hyderabad (in Larkana he was the teacher of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto). In 1936, he became Head Master at Local Board Middle School Nawabshah, which was elevated to the status of High School in 1940. It was Mr. Wilson, the British commissioner who recommended Khoja Sahib as Headmaster of this school because of his hard work and popularity. He remained head Master of that school till 1972, and from 1972 to 1979, he performed his responsibilities as Chairman of the Board of Intermediate & Secondary Education, Hyderabad. Khoja Sahib was awarded presidential award Tamgha-i-Khidmat (TK), and then in 1994, Pride of Performance. He was one of the best educationist in Pakistan.
Several schools were named after him, including H.M Khoja (Government Provincialized) High Schools (1 and 2), the H.M Khoja Auditorium, the SZABIST H.M Khoja Institute of Education and H.M Khoja Girls High School. Also name of a road and a garden (Khoja garden)

H.M Khoja was a famous personality specially in Sind and was well known in government circles. He was teacher of many famous personalities before partition and after, for example Bhutto Saheb, K.L Advani (at Hyderabad), Ghullam Mustafa Jatoi (chief minister of Sind), Hakim Ali Zardari (father of ex President Asif Ali Zardari); 3 chief ministers of Sind province, many provincial cabinet minsters as well Federal ministers, it is a long list. President Ayub Khan and General Musa Khan Governor of west Pakistan at that time knew him by name.

He had friendship with many high personalities, they visited him at his large house, and many stayed there for days like, Mr. A.K Brohi, Dr. Nabi Bukhish Baluch, Dr. Ajmal Hussain, Huzur wazir G Allana, Professor Dr. Ghullam Ali Allana (then vice chancellor of Sind University), Wazir Captain Amir Ali; even many high profile zamindars (agriculture land lords) who had threats came to stay at his house, it was like a kind of Red Cross sanctuary.

The school was so famous that teacher delegations from UK and USA came to visit school. There were two famous occasions attached with that school. One 3 days sports celebration and other flower show. Mostly whole town and from out side town visitors came to watch sports. That was a kind of mini Olympics. The prizes were arranged by UN and education department of USA. Now a days school is not same as was dazzling in the time of Khoja Saheb. Sind government of peoples party in 70's carved major portion of school to establish a girls medical college there, and internal politics damaged the reputation of school after Khoja Saheb was retired.

In 1958, Khoja Saheb departed to USA on invitation of USA education department. He had to deliver speeches on education at LA and New york. He had to compare education system of USA with Russia and Japan, LECTURES WERE APPRECIATED LARGLY AND PRINTED IN NEWS PAPERS. He was offered job in USA schools, but he turned down the offer politely saying 'I can't betray my students and country'.

During his stay in New york, he met Captain Amir Ali in a gathering. Captain Amir Ali was summoned by Hazar Imam at that time for some community business. During chat, Khoja Saheb asked him, "is it possible if I can meet Hazar Imam". Captain Amir Ali replied let me talk to secretary of Hazar Imam and I shall let you know by tomorrow, he asked Khoja Saheb for address and tele # of hotel where he was staying. Next day morning he called Khoja Saheb that permission is granted and I shall pick you up from hotel. Captain Amir Ali introduced H.M Khoja to Hazar Imam. Imam replied I have heard about him. Hazar Imam talked about his vision for education in Pakistan and other countries.
When Imam gave green signal for stablishing of Malir Academy and Aga Khan schools, H.M Khoja was the main advisor for educational board.

Before the project started, the main dignitaries of community i.e Wazir Amir Ali Fancy, Captain Amir Ali, Wazir Qassim Ali, Dr. Maanji, Chairman, Secretary and members of education board, regional council chairman Hyder Ali Shallwani and members from Hyderabad with their spouses visited H.M Khoja's school at Nawabshah. They stayed at large house of Khoja Saheb for two days, visited school and discussed the plan for up coming projects.

Khoja Saheb had developed school on USA model. The school was spread over 50 acres, having two branches, a big auditorium with seating space of 2000 peoples, boarding house for 300 poor students from interior Sind villages (mostly free of charge), vast play grounds, a gymnastic hall, large gardens, teachers quarters, a cricket ground capable of first class matches. Just 2 things were missing, individual lockers for students, and swimming pools.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

AN INTERESTING DIALOGUE IN BETWEEN PRINCE ALI KHAN AND H.M KHOJA

In 1954 during Prince Ali Khan's visit to Pakistan, it was decided by Supreme Council to arrange a railway journey of all Khoja Ismailis from Karachi to Multan and back to Karachi with Prince Ali Khan on board. A special boggy was decorated for Prince Ali khan Saheb. The stops decided were from Karachi city railway station to Malir, Jhumpir, Jangshahi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, and Multan. The reason was, large number of Ismailis were residing in those areas. Nawabshah was not on itinerary. When H.M Khoja Saheb came to know about that plan, he called organizers of that journey to include Nawabshah. The organizers were reluctant because there were only 2 Ismaili persons living in Nawabshah at that time and even there was no JK there. One was H.M Khoja himself and other his younger brother M. A Khoja who was famous in Nawabshah as well as in Sind with name MASHA. He was a good social worker and organizer. The journey committee members declined the request. H.M Khoja called Captain Amir Ali and some other top leaders insisting them to include Nawabshah. Finally Karachi leadership accepted with conditions that train will stop at Nawabshah station for 30-45 minutes, there will be around 500/600 passengers and Khoja Saheb will arrange for lunch boxes and tea. Khoja Saheb accepted the conditions, saying I shall take care of all passengers and shall make them comfortable.
At Nawabshah railway station were present thousands of people to well come Prince Ali Khan, among them Deputy commissioner of area, some Sind Assembly members, many zamindars, businessmen, and general public. H. M Khoja received Prince Ali Khan and members of Ismaili jamait on train. He introduced dignitaries to Prince Saheb. Prince Ali Khan was in very jolly mood. During chat all of sudden he asked Khoja Saheb," How many children you have?".
Khoja Saheb promptly replied; 1500.
Prince Ali Saheb; What!! How many wives you have?
Khoja Saheb; I am unmarried.
Prince Ali Saheb; From where you got 1500?
Khoja Saheb; I am talking about my school children, my students.
Prince Ali Saheb laughingly replied I liked your answer.
Khoja Saheb requested Prince Ali Saheb that if he can spare some time and visit his school.
Prince Ali Saheb replied, sorry, I have a very tight schedule. After reaching Multan we have to return Karachi non stop because in the evening I have a meeting with government officials in Karachi.

Many persons were impressed by the personality of Prince Ali Khan, among them was a famous zamindar (agriculture land lord) named Ali Nawaz Unnar. He was so impressed that rest of his life he wore prince Saheb style 'Black Astrakhan Cap' mostly time. At that time Ali Nawaz was famous in Pakistan for his Garden in Qazi Ahmad about 20 miles from Nawabshah which was known as 'mini Shalamar' a ditto copy cat of Shalamar Garden in Lahore. He also requested Prince Saheb to visit his garden but due to time constraints Prince Ali also said sorry I have a very busy and tight schedule.

I was told H.M Khoja was uncle of Sir Mazhar. He was elder brother of Sir Mazhar's father. Sir Mazhar was not in Nawabshah at that time of visit, he may be a kid residing in Karachi with his parents.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

During school summer vacation mostly time Sir Mazhar visited Hyderabad where his parents were situated at that time. His mother was a religious person, she was Kamdiani of life dedication majlis. When ever Sir Mazhar came to visit her she sent him to RC in main JK. In the beginning he attended classes but then started sneaking out of class. Once he was caught and his mother was unhappy. She insisted that he should attend RC. Sir Mazhar replied, what is use of attending when teachers are not regular, they are coming late (may be because of their jobs), and 30/40 students in class make noise, shouting, and keep talking, there is no discipline. Mother discussed the issue with her brother. He said I shall take care of him. He was a mission class student. At that time Hyderabad mission classes were conducted by top and well known missionaries, those were missionary Ali Bhai Nanji, missionary Jaggan, and missionary waras Mukhi Ghullam Hussain. All were masters in their fields. Missionary Ali Bhai in Ginans, Missionary Jaggan in Masnavi Rumi and sufism, and Missinary Mukhi Ghullam Hussain in Quran and Ismaili studies. Sir Mazhar's maternal uncle requested permission from those Missionaries and they happily allowed Sir Mazhar to sit in class, at that time he was 12/13 years old. Then every year when he came to Hyderabad during vacation attended those mission classes. Sir Mazhar learnt a lot from lectures of those missionaries which in future helped him to understand Ismailism.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Some more information:

Sir Mazhar was not a YES MAN, he was a straight forward person not budging. He was against RACISM AND GROUPING, in fact he was victim of both. He said, I do not believe in racism. We are brothers and sisters as mentioned by Hazar Imam. He said, "We are from NAFSUN WAHIDAH", also quoting Quran said, "INNA AKRAMAKUM 'INDALLAHI ATKAKUM", means 'Indeed who fears Allah and is pious is near Allah'.
There were some ITREB officials and his colleagues at Garden Center turned against him may be out of rivalry or playing race card. Their attitude was biased towards Sir Mazhar. They talked negative things about him. They floated rumors about him. At Garden Center they even poisoned the brains of incoming Principals (Sir Mazhar served 10/12 years at Garden Center, during that period 6 principals were changed). First they said, Oh, he is from interior Sind, (may be thinking he was inferior in comparison to Karachi walas). They knew not that he was born and raised in Kharadar Karachi, then sent out for education, lived in Hyderabad during his job. After quitting job he came back to Karachi and settled in Garden area. His maternal grand mother was from KATHIAWAAR speaking Gujrati, his mother was fluent in Gujrati, and Sir Mazhar also knew Gujrati. He heard that kind of loose talking but remained silent. In fact they were no match with Sir Mazhar as he had 7 Masters at that time with engineering degree, where those mischiefs were either BA or Bcom.
(I shall not mention names of teachers or Principals or ITREB persons)

I am witness of few biased attitudes. In 1977 there was 100 years anniversary of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah celebrated on high level. The venue was Ali Bhai Auditorium. Almost all Ismaili leadership was present. In that event RC teachers were also invited. In that event were present many high profile scholars, among them was Allamah Nasir al Ijtahadi, the famous Shia scholar. All garden RC teachers were given invitation cards EXCEPT Sir Mazhar!!?

At time of Silver jubilee, top leadership decided, those who had 10 years of jamaiti service should be blessed with special Deedar of Hazar Imam in chief JK Garden. From Garden RC center all teachers (ladies and gents) who had 10 years of service were given passes EXCEPT Sir Mazhar. He did not want to miss that special occasion when he had service of almost 20 years (including Hyderabad). He approached the Principal and asked, Why you have not given me pass. The Principal replied, I have only 3 years of your record. Sir Mazhar replied, when I joined Garden center you were a teacher and you saw me teaching. Then you quit for 6 years and later on you were appointed as Principal of this center and still I am serving here, better you check teachers signing registers of past years and you will find my signs on those registers. Principal refused and said better talk to Chairperson KRED. Sir Mazhar went to KRED office and talked to chairperson. Chairperson was astonished and said is he (principal) insane. We know you from long time and appreciate your services. He at once signed the pass and handed to Sir Mazhar.

Very first year after joining Garden RC, he started Quran class for his 8th grade students an hour before RC classes started at Dua time. In the beginning RC management was cooperative and a volunteer opened the class room for Sir Mazhar. When the word was out students from other grades also joined the Quran class. But after 2 months suddenly he was told to arrange classes some where else. When he enquired, was told orders are from top level.
Sir Mazhar did not gave up, he started teaching Quran on stairs of Garden center. After a month he was evicted from there also. Now where to go with around 40/50 students who wanted to learn Quran. He started classes on stairs of second floor in Garden JK. After few weeks a volunteer appeared and asked Sir Mazhar to arrange classes some where else. He was disappointed, but as it is said 'where is will there is a way'. He was contacted by Garden Library officials wanted to start Quran class on jamaiti level and asked Sir Mazhar to conduct the classes. Officials got permission from ITREB and classes started after RC classes were over. A room was allotted officially but that contained only 40 students, but number of learners kept increasing. Finally library officials requested Mukhi Saheb Sabz Ali to allot space on second floor of JK. He permitted and classes resumed on second floor of Garden JK. There were around 200 students registered to learn Quran, from ages 12/13 to 65. Even the last principal during his staying at Garden RC asked him to arrange higher classes some where else because he needed the class room. Sir Mazhar requested Mukhi Saheb and he allowed him to conduct higher classes at 3rd floor of JK. He was working for Garden center but they were giving him hard time. Talented, hardworking, and qualified persons are rather least needed!!
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar conducted classes for YARK students. YARK was a program specially created for the children of elite class as well English speaking youth of O and A levels.
When this program was started manpower was provided by ITREB, but after 2 years those instructors provided by ITREB were withdrawn. YARK committee members approached to Sir Mazhar to conduct few subjects. Though he was over busy but after adjusting his other classes in various centers he started teaching at YARK. He was teaching Islamic and Ismaili studies beside Quran. The other teacher which committee selected was Sir Mumtaz taught Ginans with explanation. Both teachers were popular in students.
After few years YARK committee members Planned a function on large scale at Hilton hotel near (American consulate opposite Frere Hall) to give away prizes to students who topped the exams and to give recognition to old and current teachers for their services and award them with shields.

The chief guest was Wazir Shams Lakha, Administrator of Aga Khan Hospital at that time. Mostly all ITREB officials, top leadership, missionaries, Mukhis and Kamadias along with YARK students, and teachers were present.

After speeches by YARK chairperson, President ITREB, couple of other distinguished guests and finally Mr. Shams Lakha, the prize distribution session was started. All committee members, top students, some previous instructors and even the girl who was making announcements (just for 2/3 hours) were awarded shields EXCEPT SIR MAZHAR AND SIR MUMTAZ (who were main instructors past few years). Even chairperson YARK did not mentioned the names of Sir Mazhar and Sir Mumtaz in his speech.
Many students were angry "why Sir Mazhar and Sir Mumtaz were neglected", committee members were hiding, many ITREB officials were stunned, even some missionaries and other guests criticized committee that on whose order those two teachers were neglected and omitted, it was a kind of disrespect.
Sir Mazhar kept calm but Sir Mumtaz was furious. He asked Sir Mazhar let's leave. Sir Mazhar requested Sir Mumtaz to stay cool, don't say any thing at present. I see the students and other guests are criticizing the committee members. Sir Mazhar had motorcycle and they both left without attending dinner.
After one week when Sir Mazhar dismissed class, all committee members along chairperson approached Sir Mazhar, requesting they want to talk. Chairperson said sorry along with committee members. He admitted that it was a blunder, we were under pressure. They requested Sir Mazhar that in recognition of yours and Sir Mumtaz's services, we have decided to honor you both by requesting Mukhi Saheb of Garden JK to give you shields after Friday prayers.
Sir Mazhar replied " TEACHING IS MY PASSION". I shall keep teaching till I am allowed in community. Don't worry, I shall continue my class at YARK. He said I don't want any recognition, reward, or shield. I just want the NAME OF PERSONS who ordered you people to neglect us both. Just mention the name, and that will be my shield.
Chairperson requested I can't declare name, that will be disaster for us (members). Sir Mazhar said fine, I shall investigate on my own. That same year, Sir Mazhar's higher classes i.e class 13th and 14th were split and those few (I came to know later on), who were involved in conspiracy were rewarded posts in ITREB, one of them was made Kamdia of majlis and other one kamdia of jamait in one of JK in Garden East area(not chief Garden JK). What a disgraceful mentality!!
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar always encouraged his students to read religious books of all religions and compare with our Tariqa. He was of the opinion that our Tariqa and religious system is the best. He had good collection of books. Once he said in the class, if God asks me to choose in between heaven and ITREB library, surly I shall request for ITREB library. Further he said there are thousands of books but very few community members are taking advantage of it.
He advised his students to observe the things keenly. For example, he said observe the kids and their actions, same way of animals like cats, dogs, monkeys, donkeys, horses, camels, cows and so on. Look at buds, flowers, trees, how they grow, their color, texture, fragrances and so on.

He was free and friendly with students. In my experience, I saw only this teacher who asked his students to criticize him. He said show me the mirror and tell me about my deficiencies. Mostly students shy to say any thing but many criticized him but he never minded. Some said, sir you have no patience. You want the things to happen like kun fayyakun.
Some said you are strict and some times loose temper. Some said sir you are a good teacher but you can't be a good leader, and lot of funny things. He appreciated all criticizers and said, the aim of this exercise was to encourage you to be brave and say right things without fear on face; and other thing to teach is that you should not loose temper when some one criticizes you. Be humble and listen politely without being angry.
He always praised students who were regular in attendance and good in studies. He paid special attention to talented students. He called them "MY STAR STUDENTS", I knew and remember names of some students like Shahnaz Salim, Amin Rahmani (both were selected in the first batch of students by IIS), Sarfaraz Abdullah (very talented), Munaf and Fatima, Nadir (Karimabad), Aslam Vasanji and Gulshan Vasanji, Shahina (Masala society), Samina and Amirali (Nizari), Hakim Surani, Shabnum, Shanshahi, there were many more, I don't recall their names from all centers after lapse of long time (sorry).
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Sir Mazhar not only conducted Quran classes in RCs and community centers but he taught Quran to non Ismailis also. I have information about his involvement in 2 girls schools, where he trained students for Quran competition. The competition was on Karachi level among schools.
An Ismaili Garden RC lady teacher, who was also a secular teacher in PIB colony girls school approached Sir Mazhar to train girls in her school. Actually the head mistress of school had given her task to find some suitable Quran tutor. Sir Mazhar said to teacher, I have to be in my office from 9am-5pm, how is this possible when your school timings are from 7am to 1pm? She insisted Sir Mazhar to adjust an hour. He said fine, I shall be at school around 7am when school starts and be there for 45 minutes to train girls. He trained the selected girls in the office of head mistress for a month, the result was a girl won second position in Quran recitation on Karachi level. Head mistress sent a letter of appreciation and a gift to Sir Mazhar. He politely refused to accept gift saying for Quran or religious work I do not accept gifts or money, just pray for me. Second incident of same type also happened in Garden area girls school where he trained few girls for Quran competition and a girl won third position in that Quran competition.

When Sir Mazhar started teaching Quran in Garden center, arranged by Garden Library, there were 2 Afghan Ismaili cousins who were attending Quran class. In the morning both Afghanis were attending religious training classes at ITREB (may be on scholarship). After 2 months they stopped attending Quran class. After couple of weeks, when Sir Mazhar saw them in Garden JK, asked why you discontinue Quran classes? They honestly said, Sir we have been asked by an ITREB official not to attend Sir Mazhar's class. They replied to official, what is harm in learning Quran. The official said don't attend, we shall arrange Quran classes for you and other students including staff and interested missionaries. Sir Mazhar sent a message through those Afghani students to that official, that he is ready to train ITREB students and staff, give chance.
After a month ITREB hired Qaari Shakar Qasmi (brother of famous Qaari and Na'at khunwa Waheed Zafar Qasmi) of madrasa e Qasmia to teach Quran with a hefty pay. Qaari Shakar Qasmi not only trained students but among were top missionaries and President ITREB himself (of that time). One thing was common that they all adopted (missionaries and President Saheb) recitation style of Shakar Qasmi. President Saheb was excited and took advantage, that in all public functions where Hazar Imam and high profile persons were present, mostly he recited Quran, be Aga Khan Hospital functions or other occasions; though he should have given chance to some other missionaries or students. After two years, those two Afghanis then migrated to USA and in 1986 during Hazar Imam's visit to USA, one of them was given chance to recite Quran and other was his back up.

When Sir Mazhar was living in Hyderabad, active in religious affairs, few committee members of Association asked him to conduct ARABIC CLASS on jamaiti level. Sir Mazhar said, no problem. Procedure was discussed and Tuesday was fixed to start class for an hour in RC of chief JK on Prince Ali khan Road. Sir Mazhar collected material, made carbon copies of grammar and notes and was ready to go, BUT 24 HOURS BEFORE TO INAGURATE CLASS, 4 committee members approached to Sir Mazhar and said sorry, they had arranged an Arabic teacher (non Ismaili, whom they had to pay) to conduct classes.
Sir Mazhar asked them why they dismissed him, what is the reason? One of them replied, some participants have reservation that you are younger than them, in their (participants) words, we do not want to learn from this CHHOKRA (in Sindhi and Kachhi chhokra means boy). What one can say about this kind of mentality? Sir Mazhar used a Farsi proverb saying," BUZURGI BI 'AQAL AST NA BI SAAL", thanks for rejecting my services.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

During 1965 war between India and Pakistan, Sir Mazhar was staying with his parents at Hyderabad. During war Ismailis and non Ismailis claimed that they had vision of a young man riding on white horse, with white dress having sword in his hand appeared and disappeared in a blink of eye. Some Ismailis claimed they had vision in between mid night and 4am in the morning.
Other mysterious thing happened at that time was that many people found silver/white hairs in Quran. That was claimed by hundreds of people in Karachi, Hyderabad, Lahore, and other parts of Pakistan. That mysterious story of hair published in many leading news papers (Sir Mazhar had cuttings of news papers of hair story). He also found 2 hairs in Quran which he had. He was surprised and put those 2 hairs in small glass container and kept in his table drawer. After couple of weeks later, when he checked that glass container the hairs were disappeared. He filled the glass container with water to check weather they might had stuck to sides of container but found no hairs. Beside Sir Mazhar many other people claimed that hairs disappeared mysteriously from their Qurans. That mystery never solved!! Sir Mazhar narrated this story during one of his lectures in Garden RC and showed students cuttings of news papers like Jang and Hurriyat.

Sir Mazhar was in 9th grade. One evening he and his classmate were returning from town around at 8pm (at that time school, hostel, and house of his uncle were at the end of town, now Nawabshah township has spread from all sides). When they reached near civil hospital on hospital road they saw flames of fire very high at the end of the road. They both ran to see what happened, why there were so high flames? When they reached near, they saw 25/30 huts made of thatched straws and rooms made of mud were on fire. That was a small village of farmers. Accidently one hut got fire and that spread so quickly all around. There was no electricity or running water, only 2 hand pumps. Villagers were moving their belongings and many were trying to put off fire but in vain. Sir Mazhar and his class mate helped villagers by filling buckets of water and throwing on fire but fire consumed everything of those poor farmers.
All huts and mud rooms were destroyed but miraculously one mud wall did not burnt completely though it was blackened by smoke. On that wall was a wooden plank attached, and on that was placed Quran wrapped in a cloth. Fire did not burn the wooden plank, nor cloth nor Quran.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

The chairman ITREB Wazir Ashiq Ali Hussain summoned Sir Mazhar. He went to see him on the day he was called. He knew Sir Mazhar's uncle Mr. H M KHOJA. After greeting chairman said, I have heard about you. You are a very popular RC teacher, here and there your demand from RC keep coming in to send Sir Mazhar. Then all of sudden he asked, "Do you know typing?". Sir Mazhar was surprised, why is he asking for typing? He replied, Sir I do know typing. I learnt at Noor Center Garden, but I do not have speed. Chairman asked, how come you don't have speed? Sir Mazhar jokingly replied, I type only with my right hand and my left hand is not cooperative with me (this is a fact, he used to type with one hand). Sir Mazhar asked chairman, Sir why you asked me about typing? He explained that a request has come from Huzur Wazir G. Allana for a typist, because he has written a research book on Ginans and want a typist who has knowledge of Ginans to help him type his Ginan script at his house. Some one suggested your name that's why I called you. Sir Mazhar replied, I should have happily assisted Allana Saheb, but unfortunately I am slow in typing, other thing that from 9-5 pm I am in my office and from 6-9pm I am busy in RCs. I conduct class 13th and 14th on weekends, hence it is not possible for me. Chairman asked, do you know any good typist in community? Sir Mazhar suggested 2 girls from Education Board working under Akbar Ali Ormara walla. Finally these girls were selected and helped Allana Saheb typing Ginan script.
In that meeting Sir Mazhar asked about his second menu script of Lughat e Ginan part 2. He gave him back ground of First and second part of Lughat and informed him that previous Chairman Wazir Qasim Ali Jaffar gave green signal before leaving office. Ashiq Ali Hussain Saheb promised that he will look into this matter and shall ask Academic department. But after one month Sir Mazhar was informed that second copy of Ginan script is also disappeared!!
In 1984, ITREB officially launched the Ginan book authored by G. Allana Saheb on high level. The venue was Aga Khan gymkhana ground. High dignitaries of jamait and hundreds of other people were invited. The chief speaker was other Allana Saheb and that was Professor Dr. Ghullam Ali Allana.
On that evening Sir Mazhar was conducting class at RC Garden when a volunteer From ITREB came and told him that you have been called urgently, You have to accompany me. Sir Mazhar dismissed the class and left with him. When he reached gymkhana ground, an ITREB official asked him for Talawat e Quran, saying the person who was given duty is not available because of some urgency at his home. Sir Mazhar said fine, I am ready. The official looked at Sir Mazhar and said, you are not in proper dress. Still there is half an hour, you go home and come in SALWAAR KAMEEZ. NOW HERE A FUNNY PART STATRED. Sir Mazhar told official that I do not have salwaar kameez, past 15 years I have not wore Salwaar even I sleep in pants, from where can I get salwaar at this time? Official said, please do some thing, get from some where, I have been asked by chief that the reciter should be in salwaar kammez as we have some non Ismaili guests.
Sir Mazhar had some students from Masala Society across the gymkhana. He went there and knocked the door of one of his student. Fortunately he was at home. Sir Mazhar asked him, do you have salwaar kameez. He said yes but why? Sir said to him just give me your Salwaar kameez rest I shall come back and explain you. In the bath room he changed the dress and came back to gymkhana for recitation of Quran.
Sir Mazhar knew both the Allanas, he talked and greeted both. He had quite few meetings with Professor Dr. Allana for his Masters, and Huzur Wazir G. Allana was his uncle H.M Khoja's friend and had visited Nawabshah staying at house of Khoja Saheb. At that time Sir Mazhar was 12/13 years old staying with his uncle.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

About Sir Mazhar I shall keep posting the information received or collected from his students, colleagues, relatives or other sources.

In 1970 during Pak visit of Hazar Imam, he decided to have Bol. With him other RC teachers also registered to get Bol. At that time he was in Hyderabad. The day Hazar Imam had to bless Bol, he with other teachers gathered at JK on Prince Ali Khan Road. His colleagues move to second floor of JK where the arrangement was, BUT Sir Mazhar moved slowly on stairs, with him were 2 other teachers. When he reached on first floor, paused for 10/20 seconds, turned around and came back to ground floor, and went towards shoe company to collect his shoes. Those two teachers behind him also came back on ground floor asking him, What happened? Also shoe company volunteers asked him why is he leaving without having Bol, they were surprised, they knew Sir Mazhar well. Sir Mazhar was regular in prorie JK. Always reached JK at 3.30 am but leave immediately after after Dua to prepare for job early morning. He used to deliver waizes in BK Satara when there were no night shifts.

He replied, I have decided not to have Bol at this time. While going up stairs, I thought it is a LIFE LONG COMMITMENT WITH HAZAR IMAM. I am a weak person, don't have courage to take this responsibility. I have to do night shifts on job. Above all I do not want to BREAK PROMISE OR CHEAT HAZAR IMAM. He continued saying, though it will be my spiritual loss but I can not deceive my Imam. I shall keep attending prorie JK for upliftment of soul with Tasbih of Ya Allah, Ya Muhammad, and Ya Ali.

"Imam always asks before blessing Bol," if you have no will power or courage better leave now, I shall not be unhappy, but after having Bol if you do not practice regularly then I shall be unhappy. Therefore it is time if any one wants to leave should leave, come next time when you feel mentally prepared for it".
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

In Pakistan Television corporation's (PTV) history, the drama serial WARIS was the best and popular. The audiences glued to their TV to watch the serial. There was craze about that drama. The attendance in JKs was thin on those days when it was tele cast. Then in March 1980 came the final episode of the WARIS. On that particular day mostly Mukhis change the Dua timings around one hour earlier. On that day there was a monthly majlis and that was postponed. The RCs were shut except few places. The attendance in Garden RC was real thin, therefore classes were dismissed. But Sir Mazhar conducted his 12th class on that day with only 7 students present, 4 girls and 3 boys including me. After recitation of both Duas he asked us, do you want to stay or leave? We decided to stay and asked him few religious questions. He answered those to our satisfaction.
Then he said, I wander why Mukhis caved in and changed the Dua timings for a worldly affair. There was no emergency declared. It is sad that a majlis was postponed because of that drama, what a shame!! He quoted Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah's Farman which he heard during waiz by a senior missionary. Imam said," HER GHAR MEIN SHAITAN NACHEY GA", in (mostly) every house devil will dance. He explained, it is TV which have changed our attitudes, culture, way of life and way of thinking (now a days there is internet, smart phones, other similar gadgets, face book, U tube and so on).
He quoted an other Farman of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah that "at time of magreb (sun set) be present in JK for Duas and seize your other worldly activities".
Sir Mazhar said, Mukhis and Kamadias being role models should have stand strong, they should not had changed the timings of Dua or postponed majlis. Let the jamait had decided to attend Dua or stay home to watch drama. It was a test of our Iman. Then he said a very beautiful couplet in Urdu;

RUKH E ROSHAN KE AAGEY SHAMA RAKH KAR WOH YE KAHTEIN HAIN
DEKHEIN UDHAR JAATA HAI PARWANA YA IDHAR AATA HAI PARWANA

By keeping (bright) candle in front of shining face he said, let us see which way moth goes towards me or in opposite direction.